Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tick-o- Rama!

I’m in the northeast and I’ve never had so many ticks before. I got most of them off when they were on my clothes but I had a tiny deer tick right under my knee. Have you ever tried to look closely at something on the bottom of your knee? You can’t. Your face can’t get there. I took a photo with my phone & enlarged it and could see its legs. It wasn’t too difficult to get out. But last night I got itching & pain in between my shoulders. I asked my husband to look at it & he said it was a beauty mark with a “sunburn.” I do have a lot of black & brown spots all over me. But today the pain was almost unbearable. I asked him to take a pic with his phone. enlarged it and there they were - legs. Not a beauty mark. It was a huge embedded lone star tick and was very, very hard to dig out. And I have a couple of guinea fowl. ...so you know it’s a bad tick year if I’ve taken two ticks out of me in a week.

Be careful out there. It was a very mild winter, so I’m sure that’s why the ticks are all over the place. I don’t use insecticide on my property. I like lightning bugs & spring peepers and have a ton of them because I don’t use pesticide. Also lots of butterflies, different kinds of bees, beautiful moths and hummingbirds..I don’t spray or use permethrin or anything else on me. Even those pesticide bracelets people wear can kill bees when I’m out gardening.

by Anonymousreply 43June 30, 2020 5:34 PM

[quote] Have you ever tried to look closely at something on the bottom of your knee? You can’t. Your face can’t get there.

If it could, you wouldn't be bothering with your knee.

by Anonymousreply 1June 11, 2020 1:55 AM

I had Lyme disease about 10 years ago. I was treated for it & had no sequelae.I never saw the tick that but me. I just saw the bullseye rash behind my knee. I got the tick walking in a field. Back then we didn’t have deer in our yards. But then the town allowed the farmers to put up 10-12 ft deer fences around their fields. Now we have deer in our yards all winter.

by Anonymousreply 2June 11, 2020 1:57 AM

[quote] the tick that but me

Bit me.

by Anonymousreply 3June 11, 2020 1:58 AM

I'm in N. Georgia helping a friend recovering from illness. I've found two deer ticks crawling on me in a span of six days. They are terrible here. And the poor deer are so plentiful, they are literally starving to death.

by Anonymousreply 4June 11, 2020 2:06 AM

Call a tick service, Tick Ranger is the one I've used, Natural Lawn of America is another. They come a few times a year, and spray natural pet healthy solutions to kill the larvae from the last season, to kill ticks on the height of tick season and another treatment in the fall. Leaves your yard smelling like cedar, but they do work.

by Anonymousreply 5June 11, 2020 2:20 AM

Sweet pea, take a kitchen match, light and blow it out. Immediately place it on the the ticks ass. It will release it's hold on you and YANK.

Girl, ticks ain't nothing down South.

by Anonymousreply 6June 11, 2020 2:30 AM

“Natural” pesticide kills all insects, not just ticks. Bees, butterflies (caterpillars), lightning bug larvae, ants - everything. I like having bugs for toads to eat in my garden & for hummingbirds.

And “natural” doesn’t mean it isn’t poison. Arsenic is all-natural. Belladonna, digitalis, asbestos, cyanic glycosides, uranium, radon. As for pest companies telling you their pesticides are pet & child friendly — suuuure they are. Just like the air was fine to breathe at Ground Zero and cigarettes were fine according to tobacco companies.

by Anonymousreply 7June 11, 2020 2:34 AM

Are you rolling around on the ground or working your way through a brush pile?

by Anonymousreply 8June 11, 2020 2:42 AM

[quote] I’m in the northeast

Another reason for quaranting people who travel from the Northeast. Don’t bring your ticks and bedbugs to other parts of the country.

by Anonymousreply 9June 11, 2020 2:43 AM

It's because of the warmer winters. It's not going to get any better anytime soon. A woman here in New England just reported her dog picked up 6 ticks in a quarter mile walk. Get some more Guinea Fowl, some chickens, and some possums (which are harmless and make good pets).

by Anonymousreply 10June 11, 2020 2:50 AM

My husband and I went to a super-fancy resort in northern Wisconsin (yes, they exist)

After our first walk in the woods, we came back COVERED in ticks. My husband found 11 of ‘em on him.

(We stuck to the lake after that.)

by Anonymousreply 11June 11, 2020 2:53 AM

Opinions on using diatomaceous earth for tick control without damaging beneficial or desirable insects. I only find conflicting info.

by Anonymousreply 12June 11, 2020 2:59 AM

[quote] Opinions on using diatomaceous earth for tick control without damaging beneficial or desirable insects

It kills beneficial/desirable insects. Not an opinion - it’s true & common sense will tell you so. Think of how it kills insects. It cuts them. It dries them out. They breathe it in & it destroys their respiratory system as well as their the rest of their bodies.

I like birds. It makes me so less depressed when the birds come back in spring. They nest, have young & feed then insects. I look out in my backyard & see tons of robins, r g blackbirds, grackles on the ground in my backyard picking up insects and digging up worms. My neighbors all put pesticides on their lawns. There are no birds in their backyards. Their backyards are dead & empty. Mine is full of life.

by Anonymousreply 13June 11, 2020 3:07 AM

Sorry folks. Killing ticks won't solve the problem. Borrelia burgdorferi, the bacteria that causes Lyme Disease (and I have had it) survives in numerous animal reservoirs, deer mice, shrews, squirrels, rabbits and many other little critters.

You would have to kill every small mammal in a mile radius to be safe from Borrelia.

Use a DEET containing insecticide and wear clothing treated with insecticide.

by Anonymousreply 14June 11, 2020 3:17 AM

[quote]It kills beneficial/desirable insects. Not an opinion - it’s true & common sense will tell you so. Think of how it kills insects. It cuts them. It dries them out. They breathe it in & it destroys their respiratory system as well as their the rest of their bodies.

But, those insects are not as small as the ticks so the effects would not be the same.

by Anonymousreply 15June 11, 2020 3:43 AM

If the anti chemical brigade is against yard treatment based on Cedar oil, carry a lint roller when outside, with light colored long sleeves, makes it easier to just roll yourself every half hour or so. Its what entomologists use up here.

by Anonymousreply 16June 11, 2020 1:16 PM

I live in the NE, the Cape, and I had Terminix come and spray for ticks and mosquitos. I have five thousand mosquito bites but haven't seen one tick on me or my dog and we're both in the yard all day.

by Anonymousreply 17June 11, 2020 3:00 PM

[quote] But, those insects are not as small as the ticks so the effects would not be the same

Diatomaceous earth can destroy your lungs & look how big you are.

If you don’t believe me, go get a duster & dust your house & attic with DE & don’t use protective gear. Get back to me in a few years.

by Anonymousreply 18June 11, 2020 5:06 PM

I took these from various pest control company sites. Btw, you cant say “exterminator” anymore. Now it’s “pest control professional” aka “PCP.”

Diatomaceous earth is one of the beneficial home remedies to get rid of carpenter bees infestation.

Diatomaceous Earth dust kills insects by dehydration/ingestion. Eradicates bedbugs, cockroaches, ants, fleas, silverfish, millipedes, centipedes, earwigs, caterpillars, flies, moths & more

Sprinkling diatomaceous earth on the wasp nest helps in killing them by drying them out. Wasps definitely will die from DE exposure and contact.

Like borax, yellow jackets and nearly all other insects, find diatomaceous earth toxic.

Food grade diatomaceous earth is often recommended as an environmentally friendly form of pest control, but it isn't recommended for use in areas/on plants frequented by beneficial insects like butterflies and their larvae. It cuts and dries out soft-bodied insects like caterpillars.

——-

So it pretty much kills all insects.

by Anonymousreply 19June 11, 2020 5:34 PM

Had a poppy seed bagel for breakfast, took a shower & when I was putting on lotion I saw a poppy seed on my leg. Tried to brush it off - nah. Poppy seed was attached to my leg. Just the head was attached though - it was kind of standing perpendicular to my leg. Sooooo tiny! I always read “deer ticks are the size of poppy seeds.”

Yup.

by Anonymousreply 20June 16, 2020 6:18 PM

As others have said, warmer winters lead to more ticks.

This was a very mild winter, so the ticks are terrible. A friend went hiking here in Jersey and was covered in them.

by Anonymousreply 21June 16, 2020 6:26 PM

I get a horrible reaction to tick bites! They itch and never really heals. Some other mysterious bugs too.

Selsun Blue helps.

by Anonymousreply 22June 16, 2020 6:29 PM

OP if your tick bite looked like it had a sunburn around it, check for lyme disease. A red bullseye is a common symptom.

by Anonymousreply 23June 16, 2020 6:33 PM

Ticks aren't as common down south r6.

In the Northeast and upper midwest they get really bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 16, 2020 6:38 PM

R122, once I took out a tick from behind my knee and for a year I had a recurring hive in that spot. Nowhere else. Just there. I finally had my dr cut it out.

by Anonymousreply 25June 16, 2020 7:22 PM

We never had a problem with ticks when we sprayed with DDT.

by Anonymousreply 26June 16, 2020 7:40 PM

Oh R24, you have no clue. Thanks for playing.

But here are several maps from the CDC on tick regions and notice how Florida is included in four of them. We do have more than beaches. I lived in the wooded scrub area. across the street from a park and wooded area.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 16, 2020 10:07 PM

Stop gardening nude.

by Anonymousreply 28June 16, 2020 10:19 PM

The Internet is so often wrong and people just mindlessly repeat wrong stuff. The first time I found a lone star tick on me in the 1990s I looked online & every website mentioning lone star tick assured me that these ticks with white spots were only found down south. I’m in the northeast.

I was informed the tick only caused STARI — southern tick associated rash illness, a perfectly harmless infection. It’s just a rash, it’s nothing like Lyme disease, it’s fine. Turns out it’s not fine, it can make one quite ill. And it doesn’t just cause STARI, it causes ehrlichiosis and tularemia. And in the Midwest it can cause something called heartland virus.

I think it took 5 years before any “experts” on the Internet allowed that well...yeah, this tick is almost everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 29June 17, 2020 9:33 PM

Our dog got a tick on the corner of her eye.

Fleas are terrible this year too.

by Anonymousreply 30June 17, 2020 9:37 PM

I wonder how ticks decide where to attach themselves? Years ago when I had Lyme disease the dr told me that women seemed to get tick bites behind the knee while men tended to get them in the shoulder.

I’ve taken attached ticks off my stomach, my neck, my shoulder, the bottom of my knee, the side of my calf.

by Anonymousreply 31June 17, 2020 9:57 PM

fleas are horrible. they are becoming immune to the flea meds. bought the wrong kind and fleas still everywhere. bought borax. worked immediately.

pet armour seems to be the only one that works now.

by Anonymousreply 32June 17, 2020 10:10 PM

borax on the carpet.

by Anonymousreply 33June 17, 2020 10:10 PM

Two ticks in a week!

Shit. Growing up in the Ozarks we'd be doing tick checks five times a day and still pulling the fuckers off at night. THOUSANDS crawling. Seed ticks, dog ticks, deer ticks, nasty bloated ticks up a kid's ear and hanging off the hounds like grotesque grapes when they'd turn up from a three-day escape in the woods.

Two ticks. Shit. A day like that was called a rare present from the Lord.

by Anonymousreply 34June 17, 2020 10:19 PM

And don't get me started on mosquitoes, leeches, botflies, red wasps, fire ants, nettle patches, sand flies, deer flies, scorpions, black widows and brown recluses, being shot at when my uncle had a feud with the neighbors, being chased by bulls and being chased and beat up by the neighbor kid who wanted to fuck me but I didn't trust his mouth to keep It quiet.

Two ticks. Christ.

by Anonymousreply 35June 17, 2020 10:23 PM

It was 3 ticks. Found another on my leg.

by Anonymousreply 36June 17, 2020 10:25 PM

I’ve been dealing with Lyme disease and co-infections from a tick for 15 years. I have take warehouse amounts of various antibiotics. I am still dealing with it. It’s serious shit. Save the tick if you’re able to, that can be easier to test than figuring out what you have been infected with. If you get the bullseye rash (not everyone does) you have Lyme. You may have Lyme if you didn’t get the rash. Right now I’m being treated with disulfiram which is Antabuse, which supposedly kills Lyme in a lab setting. It’s somewhat experimental. Lyme is not a joke, neither are the coinfections. Take it very seriously guys. It’s fucking he’ll and has ruined by existence.

by Anonymousreply 37June 17, 2020 10:40 PM

...sorry for the misspellings, my phone thinks it knows what I want to say....^^

by Anonymousreply 38June 17, 2020 10:46 PM

I’ve already had Lyme & babesiosis. I know the symptoms.

by Anonymousreply 39June 17, 2020 10:54 PM

Lyme seems like COVID - I have heard absolute horror stories of entire lives destroyed physically and mentally. Others who say they have had it and no big deal. I know a girl who was a stellar high school student started having major issues around 15-16. By senior year she had to take classes at home and couldn’t get out of bed for days.

The science seems so medieval - diagnosis and treatment are both so convoluted. And the symptoms are all over the place. It scares me because I have seen some cases of lifelong debilitation with heavy doses of mental illness. Yet doctors seem to just stay “take a ton of antibiotics for years”. Very sketchy - the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 40June 17, 2020 11:22 PM

They do a test for antibodies to the rickettsia that causes Lyme disease. That’s how most every blood test for an infectious disease is. They look at the antibodies. A large number of IgM immunoglobins mean you have active disease. A large number of IgG means you had the disease it it’s no longer active, or you are recovering.

That’s how they test for infectious diseases.

To develop a blood test for a disease, scientists find the causative agent and inject it into lab animals so they will come down with the disease. The lab animal comes down with the disease, then develops antibodies to that specific disease. The scientists then look at the antibodies for that specific disease microscopically & identify them. Now they can identify antibodies to that disease. Now they can take human blood and look for antibodies to that disease. If you have IgM, you have active disease. If you have IgGM you either had the disease and recovered from it or you are in the process of recovering from it.

Lyme has an ELISA test (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay)

But not everyone is the same & every test doesn’t have the same specificity & sensitivity

by Anonymousreply 41June 18, 2020 12:01 AM

Took a deer tick off me when I woke up. Luckily, deer ticks make me itch when they bite me - like mosquito bites. So I can find them when I scratch the bite & feel something there that isn’t skin.

They always latch on to places that are so difficult to see/remove them.

by Anonymousreply 42June 30, 2020 3:16 PM

My hand to god, I have periodically found ticks in my Manhattan high-rise. Found one ON me a few WINTERS ago.

I’m guessing people’s dogs bring them back and they get in here somehow?

by Anonymousreply 43June 30, 2020 5:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!