Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New York Housewives in Retrospect

I’ve been rewatching early seasons of RHONY on Hulu to avoid real life, and I’m a little surprised by some impressions...

—Bethenny is histrionic but she really is pretty likable and relatable. A far cry from the woman who later lamented that she’s the richest homeless person in New York.

—Jill is overbearing and has a savior complex, but she doesn’t seem like the evil narcissist I remember her to be.

—Ramona has always been Ramona.

—I didn’t remember at all that Ramona instantly hated Alex and Simon, or how desperate and scheming the couple seemed during the first season. I think I may not have ever seen the first season at all because their behavior during that season has totally changed the way I think of them. I used to think of Alex as an underdog and now I see her as a total user thanks to season one.

—LuAnn has always been a pretentious jackass, but she seemed really easy to get along with and not cutting or vicious or nearly as narcissistic when she was married to the count. She is by far the biggest trainwreck of this series. She has fallen far and hit hard.

—Kelly Bensimon has a serious mental illness, something like schizoaffective disorder. She speaks in word salad and contradictions and almost never makes any sense at all. It’s creepy that she was ever cast for comic relief. During ‘Scary Island,’ when she was alternately accusing Bethenny of trying to cut her throat while she slept, Alex channeling the devil, and Gummi Bears and jelly beans, I was impressed that Sonja handled the situation so well. She told the women to stop mocking a disturbed woman and effectively brought Kelly, who seemed to be on Jupiter, down to Earth.

—Sonja was so fun and sweet!

—There was a...Cindy...??!

In summary, the RHONY producers have completely fucked up the show by either scripting the women as all alcoholics or driving them to addiction. Today, when I think of LuAnn, Sonja, Dorinda and the new blonde one, my primary association is “sloppy drunk old lady.”

by Anonymousreply 24April 20, 2021 2:33 PM

Ramona thought Alex and Simon were beneath her because they lived in Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 1June 9, 2020 1:11 PM

The early seasons also focused much more on husbands and kids. Of course now, everyone on the show is single.

by Anonymousreply 2June 9, 2020 4:04 PM

Something I noted after one of my innumerable rewatches is that Luann's alcoholism is evident even in the first two seasons. There's a particularly scene (can't remember if it's s1 or s2) where Jill comes over for an afternoon meet-up at Luann's house and she is clearly hammered.

by Anonymousreply 3June 9, 2020 4:11 PM

I will always be a Jill apologist. She should've never been fired, honestly. I've given up the idea that she'll magically be back on RHONY (I think the ship has *officially* officially sailed) but it says a lot that she's still one of the more talked about HW even though it's approaching 10 years since she was last on.

by Anonymousreply 4June 9, 2020 4:15 PM

Thanks OP. Now feel compelled to seek out first season RHONY and a very large drink in equal measures.

by Anonymousreply 5June 9, 2020 4:18 PM

R5 The first season was kind of boring because the first several episodes were sort of categorical: meet the housewives; fashion shows!; the Hamptons! But it picked up a bit from there, and then it became pretty engrossing. I liked the early seasons SO much better then the current alcoholic era, which I finally stopped watching because it’s boring and pathetic.

I enjoyed the Ramona and Jill rivalry early on. It was harmlessly bitchy and hilarious. They both pissed one another off and humiliated each other intentionally, for fun, and admitted it and liked one another in spite of it. So much better than drunk old ladies screeching in a villa.

by Anonymousreply 6June 9, 2020 9:58 PM

Nothing about Ramona has changed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 26, 2020 2:41 AM

Why the fuck does anyone care about these drunk whores?

by Anonymousreply 8June 26, 2020 2:49 AM

I watched the first season of the show and only that season. One was more than sufficient.

It's a total blank except the swingers trying to redecorate some apartment or townhouse. I think the only reason I remember them (though not their names) is they seemed so sleazy.

by Anonymousreply 9June 26, 2020 2:59 AM

Jill grossly overestimated her appeal, and badly miscalculated how her bullying of Betheney would make her look. And then there was that mess of an apartment ...

by Anonymousreply 10June 26, 2020 3:34 AM

I liked Bethenny, too. Saw her on an episode of “Shark Tank”, and she’s still got that outspoken nothing-to-hide thing going. She’s kind of toxic, but likeable.

by Anonymousreply 11June 26, 2020 10:41 AM

I’m watching an early season marathon on Bravo. Jill is insufferable. Lu is very hard looking and cold and it’s amazing how she’s softened over the years. The show got a lot more fun when Sonja joined the cast and Jill left. Also, it’s weird watching B and Jason so in love and obsessed with each other. Eek.

by Anonymousreply 12April 20, 2021 1:51 PM

The show allowed Jill's daughter Ally to parlay her fame into a modeling career.

by Anonymousreply 13April 20, 2021 2:06 PM

The first season had a documentary or cinéma vérité quality that I enjoyed. So did Orange County. That’s completely gone now of course.

by Anonymousreply 14April 20, 2021 2:16 PM

I still don’t understand why Jill got the boot. How difficult do you have to be to get kicked off a housewife show?

by Anonymousreply 15April 20, 2021 2:18 PM

Jill totally overplayed her hand with that ridiculous, manufactured feud with Bethenny. It made her look mean, petty and rather stupid. Though I did enjoy her delusions about her social position, and her overstuffed, overdecorated cracker box apartment.

by Anonymousreply 16April 20, 2021 2:19 PM

LuAnn delivered some of the best cunting on any Housewives franchise when she read Alex to her face about her "Herman Munster shoes," then, when Alex told her they were Louis Vuittons, shot back with "Well, even Louis Vuitton makes mistakes."

by Anonymousreply 17April 20, 2021 2:22 PM

"I don't feel guilty about being privileged" - is that still on the season 1 opened? Ah, the good old days before the gals crafted their own taglines.

by Anonymousreply 18April 20, 2021 2:23 PM

The season with Cindy will always be my favorite. Every single episode was a laugh riot.

Quogue, Morocco, birthday on Governor's Island...

by Anonymousreply 19April 20, 2021 2:26 PM

[quote]Kelly Bensimon has a serious mental illness, something like schizoaffective disorder. She speaks in word salad and contradictions and almost never makes any sense at all. It’s creepy that she was ever cast for comic relief.

It was strongly hinted that Kelly was experiencing meth psychosis on Scary Island—Sonja commented that her room smelled like cat piss (meth smoke smells like ammonia).

by Anonymousreply 20April 20, 2021 2:28 PM

Cindy, stop trying to make Quogue happen!

by Anonymousreply 21April 20, 2021 2:28 PM

RHONY was ahead of the curve when it came to fame-thirsty husbands.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 20, 2021 2:31 PM

HE WORE A DEAD MAN'S SUIT!!!

by Anonymousreply 23April 20, 2021 2:31 PM

What about Jill's stepdaughter having that facial birthmark and Ramona calling it a "deformity"?

She had to be saying that shit for the camera.

by Anonymousreply 24April 20, 2021 2:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!