Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Producer Rupert Hine dies

Produced a slew of 80s albums, most notably Private Dancer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2020 6:35 PM

And Stevie! He produced The Other Side of the Cunt Bone, I mean, Mirror.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 6, 2020 12:20 AM

Stevie on Rupert:

"The night I met Rupert Hine was a dangerous one. He was different from anyone else I had ever known...He was older, and he was smarter, and we both knew it. I hired him to do the album before we even started talking about music. It seemed that we had made a spiritual agreement to do a magic album...in a fabulous Dutch castle, at the top of the mountain. We recorded it in the formal dining room...where, upon the walls hung all these very old and expensive pieces of art...looking at us...we were never alone."

"It always seemed to me that whenever Rupert walked into one of these old, dark castle rooms, that the rooms were on fire. There was a connection between us that everyone around us instantly picked up on, and everyone was very careful to respect our space...our TIMESPACE, so we all lived at the castle for about four-and-a-half months. I went home with him to England to mix the album at his studio...he left in December. I joined him there in London in January. We left immediately for his studio, Farmyard Studios, somewhere outside London. It was like being in a cottage in Wales, it was a little spooky...the atmosphere was like nothing I had ever experienced. Then something happened to him that simply made it impossible for us to ever be together again. I left him there...the rooms were still burning, but the fire had been stolen from us. It wasn't over love, in fact...it had nothing to do with love. It was just a bad situation. I came back to Los Angeles, a very changed woman. And now, long nets of white...cloud my memory...Now I remember the rooms, the music, and how truly magic the whole thing was..."

by Anonymousreply 2June 6, 2020 12:22 AM

Another talented musician gone.

by Anonymousreply 3June 6, 2020 12:23 AM

To paraphrase a Sandra Bernhard joke, after the nuclear winter it will only be the cockroaches, Tina Turner and Cher who remain.

by Anonymousreply 4June 6, 2020 12:25 AM

My sister was once a private dancer, a dancer for money. She’s do what any studio executive wanted her to do.

by Anonymousreply 5June 6, 2020 12:32 AM

My sister was once a private dancer, a dancer for money. She’s do what any studio executive wanted her to do.

by Anonymousreply 6June 6, 2020 12:32 AM

It wasn't funny either time, Livvy.

by Anonymousreply 7June 6, 2020 12:36 AM

[quote] Then something happened to him that simply made it impossible for us to ever be together again. I left him there...the rooms were still burning, but the fire had been stolen from us. It wasn't over love, in fact...it had nothing to do with love. It was just a bad situation. I came back to Los Angeles, a very changed woman.

Is she referring to surprise anal?

by Anonymousreply 8June 6, 2020 1:06 AM

Noooo! I loved all of his songs in Better Off Dead.

by Anonymousreply 9June 6, 2020 1:37 AM

Rupert Hines produced The Fixx in the 80s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 6, 2020 2:42 AM

He seemed to be very well liked.

The Fixx, Suzanne Vega and Howard Jones all had many nice things to say about him.

by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2020 6:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!