Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Protests, masks and social distancing

When I see the photos of the protests, I see almost no attempt to practice social distancing, and in many cases (like in this really in Austin) lots of protestors not wearing masks at all. Are we doomed to have another huge spike in COVID and to lose all the gains we've made since March?

Sometimes I've wondered if the protests are in some ways a response to shelter-in-place. It's as if people (particularly twentysomethings) couldn;t stand it any longer, and so went berserk so they could be out of the house and be with other people, as much as they are protesting these horrible injustices of the police. But it's like they're pretending the virus no longer exists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 7, 2020 12:34 AM

I wonder if the protests will end because most people who participate will end up at home sick.

by Anonymousreply 1June 4, 2020 4:04 PM

If nothing else, all the rioting may produce herd immunity for those who are left.

by Anonymousreply 2June 4, 2020 4:35 PM

I think the protests are slowly winding down. I expect and surge of new cases during the next two weeks and I definitely believe there was a lot more going on with these protests than GF and BLM.

by Anonymousreply 3June 4, 2020 4:49 PM

You’re spot on OP. Shelter or safer at home, unemployed, or furloughed, bored, frustrated... perfect conditions for mass protest

by Anonymousreply 4June 4, 2020 4:53 PM

Yes OP is correct.

by Anonymousreply 5June 4, 2020 4:56 PM

Agree!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 6June 6, 2020 5:22 PM

It sucks, because this is the voting base we need to change the administration.

by Anonymousreply 7June 6, 2020 5:28 PM

Young people have a very small probability of dying from COVID. Most of the protestors seem young to me. They won’t all die.

by Anonymousreply 8June 6, 2020 5:30 PM

Iran is having it's second wave of infections.

It remains to be seen if the medical responses have improved and if the virus has weakened in virulence.

One wonders what will happen in USA - if these protests have spread the virus. I would say yes but it may not be catastrophic. Over the summer the young people are not going to be quarantining themselves at all, so this close contact was already in the cards.

by Anonymousreply 9June 6, 2020 5:44 PM

As said by other posters, this will ultimately be an experiment in how the virus transmits outdoors, in crowded spaces. If transmission stays low, we will know that we can open up beaches, outdoor bars, hang with friends in open spaces relatively safely. If the numbers spike, that will be telling as well. I was looking at the central London photos and the streets are jam packed - unable to walk dense. And yes, I think people could not take being isolated another second - there are only so many at home yoga poses and beauty tips one can put out on IG/TikTok - that content is going to curate itself. If the protesters come out unscathed it's a double win for them and I will feel much more confident enjoying the summer more freely than I had planned. Yes, I will still wear a mask and make sure to protect others.

by Anonymousreply 10June 6, 2020 6:00 PM

OP, has a point. In Los Angeles, I feel they will at least last another week. Hopefully, the after affects won't be that bad.

For the twenty somethings that feel they are safe, please remember that you can spread to others that may not be as safe. Also, this is going to be another challenge in the economic recovery.

Don't get me wrong, I do think change should occur but I also don't want a knee jerk reaction in a response.

by Anonymousreply 11June 6, 2020 10:11 PM

It's the culmination of a lot of things. Had Floyd been murdered a year ago, it probably would have led to a resurgence of BLM protests, but on the same level as the protests back in 2016 which were mostly peaceful.

But, now, people are bored, scared about the future, and angry about many issues, not just police brutality and racism.

by Anonymousreply 12June 6, 2020 10:51 PM

The anger and size of these protests is definitely related to mental frustration and exhaustion with the pandemic and the crazy president and the absolute shit that the quality of life for many Americans has become.

by Anonymousreply 13June 6, 2020 11:09 PM

George Floyd is a martyr like Jesus! Both were killed unjustly.

Jesus died so that we could be free from the punishment of our sins.

George died so that we could be free from the the Covid lockdowns and a trashed economy.

Gloria in Excelsis Deo!

by Anonymousreply 14June 6, 2020 11:17 PM

Social Distancing doesn't make very much difference in the long term. If the government aren't willing to keep it up until an effective vaccine is available then you are just delaying herd immunity.

So unless you are in North Korea a second wave is inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 15June 6, 2020 11:18 PM

Wow - these are very honest thoughts. I, as I am reading them, appreciate them!

by Anonymousreply 16June 6, 2020 11:20 PM

[Quote] For the twenty somethings that feel they are safe, please remember that you can spread to others that may not be as safe.

Most don't care sadly.

by Anonymousreply 17June 7, 2020 12:10 AM

Saw some graffiti on a black billboard today that said:

"George Floyd might not have been the best man, but he was a man"

by Anonymousreply 18June 7, 2020 12:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!