Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Oops: Man Behind Sweden’s Controversial Virus Strategy Admits Mistakes

Sweden’s top epidemiologist has admitted his strategy to fight Covid-19 resulted in too many deaths, after persuading his country to avoid a strict lockdown.

“If we were to encounter the same illness with the same knowledge that we have today, I think our response would land somewhere in between what Sweden did and what the rest of the world has done,” Anders Tegnell said in an interview with Swedish Radio.

Tegnell is the brains behind Sweden’s controversial approach to fighting the virus, and the government of Stefan Lofven has deferred to the epidemiologist in its official response to the pandemic. Gatherings of more than 50 people continue to be banned, but throughout the crisis Swedes have been able to visit restaurants, go shopping, attend gyms and send children under 16 to school.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80October 3, 2020 4:32 AM

This is good news because at least it stops people from saying we should’ve done nothing.

by Anonymousreply 1June 3, 2020 9:47 PM

One of the most bizarre covid-related moments of the past few weeks, was when the WHO praised Sweden's pandemic strategy, despite the double fact that it went against WHO's recommendations and that Sweden's death rate was already worse than that of its neighbors.

What were they thinking? were they just playing politics?

by Anonymousreply 2June 3, 2020 9:49 PM

[quote] If we were to encounter the same illness with the same knowledge that we have today, I think our response would land somewhere in between what Sweden did and what the rest of the world has done...

WTF?? Public Health has dealt with pandemics and knows how to deal with them. This isn't some unknown. Government usually have plans for dealing with this exact situation.

by Anonymousreply 3June 3, 2020 9:54 PM

But I thought Sweden was "winning" (as that other thread from some time ago claimed)...

by Anonymousreply 4June 3, 2020 10:05 PM

A large group of scientists in Sweden opposed his strategy from the beginning. I've been following a You Tube channel of a guy named Marcus Carlsson, who is a mathematician at Lund University because I have friends in Stockholm and and in rural southern Sweden. They thought this guy was totally, totally wrong and basically willing to "let Grandma die" to keep the economy open. Many more old people in nursing homes died in Sweden than should have opened. Meanwhile, Sweden had their PR machine going in the US and at WHO saying how great a model they were. Carlsson's puts out a video in Swedish and another in English on the same subject (some of the Swedish ones are not duplicated though). Check him out, especially his first one.

by Anonymousreply 5June 3, 2020 10:06 PM

r5 again: By "this guy" I mean Anders Tegnell, the health minister who was in charge of the Swedish policy. Norway had a strict and early lockdown and maybe a 10th of the cases and very few deaths and have already re-opened their economy. Tegnell was basically gambling with people's lives to show how cool he was and how great Swedes were that they didn't need basic public health rules like everywhere else in the world.

by Anonymousreply 6June 3, 2020 10:11 PM

How’s their economy doing? Probably not much better than the rest of Europe. Don’t get me wrong, this experiment proves they were foolish.

by Anonymousreply 7June 3, 2020 10:20 PM

[quote]potential for improvement.

That’s putting it mildly, Mr. Noah Shit.

by Anonymousreply 8June 3, 2020 10:40 PM

And nothing will happen to him. It’s easier for a black man to hail a cab in Bay Ridge than to get fired from a job in Sweden.

by Anonymousreply 9June 3, 2020 10:58 PM

Oh, he ain’t gettin a cab in Bay Ridge, let me tell...oh, I see. Never mind.

by Anonymousreply 10June 3, 2020 10:59 PM

Well, the pretty, blonde affluent Swedes are spending the next 3-4 months at their summer homes on the islands, leaving the darks and poors behind in their crowded tower blocks on the edges of Malmo, Stockholm, and Gothernburg. Only they will get sick and die.

by Anonymousreply 11June 3, 2020 11:06 PM

It wasn't the WHO r2, but one WHO doctor who was being asked about Sweden in a critical way and in typical WHO manner he did not want to offend a WHO country (think of how much WHO representatives have gone out of their way not to offend China) so just gave some garbled answer that has been misinterpreted.

He did not in fact praise Sweden's strategy, he said that Sweden's strategy might be a model for other countries post-lockdown. In other words, he wasn't praising the idea of not having a lockdown but just coming up with a platitude about how some of what Sweden is doing could be useful as we try to return to normality. He also emphasised that Sweden was in fact implementing restrictive measures against the virus.

by Anonymousreply 12June 3, 2020 11:12 PM

R6, Tegnell isn't the Health Minister, he is the state epidemiologist based at the Public Health Agency of Sweden.

by Anonymousreply 13June 3, 2020 11:16 PM

r12 Thanks. That's less bad, though bad nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 14June 3, 2020 11:17 PM

r6: That's right. I had a feeling he had some other title. But he's been the one behind this controversial policy in Sweden. I hope he gets shit-canned but I don't know how Sweden works politically. Probably needs a change in ruling party or something?

by Anonymousreply 15June 4, 2020 12:24 AM

The deaths were worse than Ebola.

And Sweden gained nothing— not a better economy, not closer to herd immunity than the rest of the world.

His strategy was an abject failure

by Anonymousreply 16June 4, 2020 12:07 PM

"'If we were to encounter the same disease again knowing exactly what we know about it today, I think we would settle on doing something in between what Sweden did and what the rest of the world has done,' Tegnell said. It would be 'good to know exactly what to shut down to curb the spread of infection better', he added." (From The Guardian.)

Hmmm...how about anyplace where people congregate? Like businesses, parks, theaters, cafes, restaurants, churches, etc.? How moronic can this guy Tegnell be? This seems unusually stupid behavior from a country that I thought was on of the more intelligent countries in the world.

Sweden’s death rate per capita was the highest in the world over the seven days to June 2. Further proof that lockdowns, closures, enforced social distancing and masks and gloves actually work, as opposed to doing none of those things during a pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 17June 4, 2020 1:26 PM

R16 You mean his 'experiment' was an abject failure. Tegnell may want to call it a 'strategy' but it was a fucking sadistic experiment played right of the 'Nazi Book of Medical Experiments' by Josef Mengele.

by Anonymousreply 18June 4, 2020 2:03 PM

Smug sociopaths actually admit they're wrong? Wow.

by Anonymousreply 19June 4, 2020 2:52 PM

He doesn't even entirely take responsibility for just how stupid and wrong he was. He qualifies it by actually saying he doesn't know how he could have made the situation any better, then walks back his error in judgment by saying he still thinks the situation in Sweden is actually okay.

by Anonymousreply 20June 4, 2020 3:01 PM

Funny when deplorables hold up signs "We should do it like Sweden!"

Sweden's experiment was a failure.

Its strong social safetynet like healthcare for all holds that country together during the epidemic

by Anonymousreply 21June 4, 2020 3:06 PM

Sweden is about to haemorrhage foreign skilled workers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 5, 2020 12:41 PM

They will be paying for their bone-headed strategy and Tegnell's hubris for some time. Countries may shut their borders to Sweden movement as they start to reopen after lockdown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 5, 2020 12:46 PM

"He doesn't even entirely take responsibility for just how stupid and wrong he was. "

Men never do.

by Anonymousreply 24June 5, 2020 1:34 PM

R23, exactly. It's the fact that Sweden is now seeing repercussions from other countries to its policy that Tegnell has been forced into a half-hearted mea culpa.

Sweden is now completely overhauling its testing policy, from doing as little testing as possible to free testing for anyone with symptoms and contact tracing. Swedish politicians allowed themselves to be too controlled by their "experts".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 5, 2020 1:42 PM

God helfen Lars

by Anonymousreply 26June 5, 2020 1:46 PM

Oh cut the Swedes some slack! Best sex I EVER had was at the Grand Hotel in Stockholm. Swedes are polite, good-looking and very adventurous in bed.

by Anonymousreply 27June 5, 2020 2:02 PM

Great, R27! Why don't you go back there and try your luck now?

by Anonymousreply 28June 5, 2020 2:08 PM

[quote]'Nazi Book of Medical Experiments' by Josef Mengele.

Kindle?

by Anonymousreply 29June 5, 2020 2:10 PM

R25 I believe that the politicians had no say and had to take the advise from Tegnell and act on it as he directed. But the whole coronavirus mess has been handled badly by most Governments just some worst than others. Even countries like Australia and New Zealand could have acted more swiftly - distance and an excellent bio-security system which included aggressive testing, tracking and quarantine all helped but if their Governments had acted a few weeks earlier, particularly Australia they may have come out of lockdown earlier.

Still Tegnell is damaged goods now and rightfully so. One of the most important codes of medicine: first do no harm. He basically let people die. Along with Trump, that mad Brazilian president and some others, Tegnell should probably be tried for crimes against humanity. Wilful policies that directly result on the deaths on hundreds and thousands of people is unacceptable.

by Anonymousreply 30June 5, 2020 2:50 PM

What did the king say when asked about the situation?

"Börk börk börk"

by Anonymousreply 31June 5, 2020 3:31 PM

Italy is off the hook because they were the canary in the coal mine. Everybody was learning from them and the lockdowns were all modelled on the Italian experience.

by Anonymousreply 32June 5, 2020 7:23 PM

[quote]I believe that the politicians had no say and had to take the advise from Tegnell and act on it as he directed

They also stubbornly stuck to their guns for a long time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 6, 2020 12:24 PM

You guys are missing the biggest point, which is, at least in Sweden's case, herd immunity does not appear to exist. The evidence is damning. It suggests, unless the virus peters out on its own with the advent of summer or an effective vaccine is created within the next 6 - 12 months, it's likely everyone on the entire planet will eventually become infected and at some point there will not be enough healthcare workers to treat the sick.

by Anonymousreply 34June 7, 2020 7:11 PM

[quote]I believe that the politicians had no say and had to take the advise from Tegnell and act on it as he directed

This is bullshit. He's just a technocrat. It's politicians who wield power. They chose to listen to him, and did so because he offered easy advice - "don't change anything to drastically, keep the economy open".

by Anonymousreply 35June 8, 2020 2:27 AM

Again, Swedes are a very compliant population. Like North Korea. They’re very prone to being led over a cliff like lemmings.

by Anonymousreply 36June 8, 2020 2:52 AM

R35, the Swedish constitution makes it extremely difficult for government ministers to overrule the recommendations of a public agency.

[quote] It is written into the national constitution that Sweden's public agencies are independent of the government. There are two main goals of this: ensuring that decisions are made based on knowledge and expertise, and limiting corruption, because ministers cannot have influence in agency decision-making.

[quote]A minister who tries to issue direct commands to an agency over how to handle a specific issue -- either an individual case, or day-to-day decision-making -- could find themselves accused of 'ministerial rule' (ministerstyre) by political opponents. Overruling government agencies or disregarding their advice is usually seen as politically risky, even though it's not specifically forbidden in most circumstances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 8, 2020 8:54 AM

R37 Thank you. And to R35 you will note that I wrote 'I believe'. I wasn't 100% sure what the situation in Sweden was into the responsibility of the health measures taken but did recall reading a number of times that it was basically left up to Tegnell in line with the Swedish constitution. Doesn't say much for Tegnell's abilities really.

by Anonymousreply 38June 8, 2020 9:02 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 9, 2020 4:55 PM

Sweden didn’t lockdown, but economy to plunge anyway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 10, 2020 3:34 AM

Yep. Sweden's economy fell by pretty much the same amount as neighbours Norway, Finland & Denmark who didn't kill off thousands of their citizens in the process.

The thing about the economic downturn occurring world wide is that lockdown or not all economies are going to suffer - if somebody like myself who has zero interest or knowledge in economic matters could see that would happen once China placed Wuhan in lockdown its an embarrassment of major proportions for 'experts' who didn't see that coming.

The world's economy is so intertwined.

by Anonymousreply 41June 10, 2020 10:32 AM

Has Anders gone into hiding?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 10, 2020 12:52 PM

Swedes are like a nation of compliant zombies. Polls show the government isn’t getting much backlash over their mishandling COVID. But expats are planning to relocate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 14, 2020 4:44 AM

Can't even admit he was wrong without "explanations."

by Anonymousreply 44June 14, 2020 4:50 AM

^ Very Swedish trait, r44.

by Anonymousreply 45June 14, 2020 8:25 PM

Do tell, r5.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 14, 2020 9:05 PM

Rhapsody in Swede

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 14, 2020 9:13 PM

Sweden now whining about being treated like a pariah state by other Nordic countries.

[quote]But then came the pandemic. The issue of Sweden’s pariah status was hotly debated recently on a popular Scandinavian radio program, “A Norwegian, a Swede and a Dane,” which broadcasts weekly in all three countries.

[quote]“We can’t visit Norway. We can’t go to Denmark,” said Asa Linderborg, a journalist with a leading Swedish paper, Aftonbladet, adding that even Finland had barred Swedes.

[quote]“We are supposed to sit here in our corner of shame, and the worst part is that you’re savoring it,” she said, referring to Sweden’s neighbors. “All Norwegians, all Danes and all Finns are loving that the Swedes aren’t welcome anywhere. I long for you, yet you don’t long for me.”

Anders Tegnell thinks that a second wave will prove that Sweden has higher immunity, though he's backed down from the herd-immunity goal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 24, 2020 7:25 AM

Sweden now finds itself as one of 11 "European" countries that are seeing a significant rise in new infections. None of the other 10 is a member of the EU/EEA, however, only Sweden.

[quote]"In 11 of these countries, accelerated transmission has led to very significant resurgence that if left unchecked will push health systems to the brink once again."

[quote]The 11 countries were later identified by the WHO as Armenia, Sweden, Moldova, North Macedonia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Kyrgyzstan, Ukraine and Kosovo.

by Anonymousreply 49June 25, 2020 3:36 PM

Try to find a Swede who'll admit they were wrong to your face.

by Anonymousreply 50June 27, 2020 5:39 AM

R49 Apparently Anders is furious that Sweden is being lumped in with those other countries. He rejects the statement by the WHO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 27, 2020 6:25 AM

Why was this asshole the sole arbiter of what went down? He's the chief epidemiologist, but he doesn't run the country. Was there no one else involved in this monumental decision? And why hasn't this asshole been replaced?

by Anonymousreply 52June 28, 2020 4:14 PM

Go back and re-read the thread, R52. It's explained that Sweden's system puts science above politics, and until they filled the scientific positions with idiots, it worked. Kind of like how here in the US, until this president, we considered qualifications, experience and know-how above racism, bigotry, sexism and xenophobia.

by Anonymousreply 53June 28, 2020 5:43 PM

Sweden may well put science over politics, but he's not the only epidemiologist in the country. Doesn't he have to answer to somebody?

by Anonymousreply 54June 28, 2020 8:59 PM

Please tell me that sweet little evil Prince Oscar and his hot, hot, uncle Prince Carl Philip haven't been affected.

by Anonymousreply 55June 28, 2020 9:59 PM

He's the chief epidemiologist, his word is final.

by Anonymousreply 56June 29, 2020 4:35 AM

No take backs!

by Anonymousreply 57June 29, 2020 4:43 AM

Well, R56, if enough Swedes get sick, the chief epidemiologist will be forced out. Don't tell me he has total authority and answers to no one in Sweden.

by Anonymousreply 58June 29, 2020 3:33 PM

Australian TV has been doing a weekly episode on areas and countries around the world dealing with COVID. We have already had China, New York, Northern Italy, Russia, the UK. Tonight it is Sweden.

The reporters are brave going out there reporting on this. I expect it to be a takedown of Tegnell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59June 30, 2020 6:37 AM

There is a youtube channel I've been following since early on (March) run by Magnus Carlsson, who opposed Sweden's policy from the getgo. There are a group of Swedish scientists including him (he's a university mathematician), who publicly opposed Tegnell's policy in at least late March, early April and it was printed in major Swedish paper(s). But Sweden does PR all over the world (that became obvious after a while watching all the glowing reports about the "Swedish model". Anyway, on his channel he has a TV special from Italy from at least a month ago that reported on Sweden's covid response. The Italian report was highly critical, rightly so considering all they went through. I know Carlsson's channel is available on YouTube in Sweden because most his videos are in Swedish with some also in English versions. There is also a Swedish MD who has been highly critical and has been campaigning against the Swedish official line. Don't remember his name. Swedes seem to be sheep in that they are were willing to mass protest for George Floyd but have not been willing to protest against their own prime minister and this guy Tegnell.

by Anonymousreply 60July 2, 2020 11:50 PM

All you can do is slow the process, you can't prevent it. Unless you live in a bunker underground, you'll eventually encounter it.

There is no vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 61July 2, 2020 11:57 PM

R61, is that some kind of lame support of this douchebag?

by Anonymousreply 62July 3, 2020 2:41 AM

No r62 it’s the truth.

by Anonymousreply 63July 3, 2020 3:16 PM

No, it isn't, genius R63. You're stating there will be a 100% exposure rate? There is no vaccine--yet. There may be, there may not be. FOH, fool.

by Anonymousreply 64July 3, 2020 3:54 PM

R64 why are we social distancing? Hint: it’s not to prevent you from getting the infected, it’s to prevent everyone from getting infected all at once.

by Anonymousreply 65July 3, 2020 3:57 PM

The guy is an idiot. It will come home to roost for him eventually.

No, dear, R65. It's to prevent individuals from getting infected and in turn spreading it.

by Anonymousreply 66July 3, 2020 4:27 PM

We social distanced back in March to keep hospitals ICUs from being overwhelmed , which has happened in a lot of places that have covidiot Rethug governors and are now paying the price. It's exhausting to repeat what has been in the sane mainstream media constantly since March.

BTW if you've ever seen video of Tegnell, he looks like an arrogant SOB. A face you'd love to punch. I wouldn't care about Sweden but I have a childhood friend married to a Swede who lives there (and also his nephew coincidentally married to a Swedish girl in Stockholm with a couple of kids) so I started following this early on.

by Anonymousreply 67July 3, 2020 7:48 PM

NYT says Sweden has become the world’s cautionary tale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68July 7, 2020 5:39 PM

R68

But aren’t the US and Brazil doing worse?

by Anonymousreply 69July 7, 2020 5:42 PM

Sweden is doing worse than its neighbours.

by Anonymousreply 70July 8, 2020 1:17 PM

What a mess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71July 8, 2020 8:01 PM

History may confirm what seems to be true so far... the "herd immunity, let life continue as normal, the cost to the economy is worse than a limited percentage of dead...." mentality, was the very wrong way to respond to covid.

Time will tell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72July 15, 2020 3:54 AM

I have to admit the rest of world probably owes Anders a big thank you. If Sweden had not gone down the path they did the rest of the world would not have seen how it was Sweden's choice was even more disastrous.

by Anonymousreply 73July 15, 2020 11:11 AM

Excuse me, R73, and we don't like to brag (ha ha!), but when it comes to the most disastrous handling of this virus (and so many other things!), we would have to say: look no further than...

by Anonymousreply 74July 15, 2020 2:09 PM

Sweden gets way more credit for everything than they actually deserve.

by Anonymousreply 75July 15, 2020 2:21 PM

by Anonymousreply 76July 31, 2020 6:59 PM

Sweden's daily COVID cases hit highest cases since June.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 2, 2020 2:27 PM

Smug Sweden - ticking back up in a big way.

"We're going to go with herd immunity because it's counterintuitive and we'll show how smart we are when it works out."

Yeah, OK. God forbid you follow the example of Taiwan and S. Korea. Dummies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 2, 2020 2:38 PM

Italy, who suffered the worst at the start, issued the strictest lockdown measures in Europe, and it's worked for them. Big turnaround.

by Anonymousreply 79October 2, 2020 3:24 PM

All signs point to a second wave worldwide.

by Anonymousreply 80October 3, 2020 4:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!