Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Betty Broderick Story is the new season Dirty John

Starts tonight and Amanda Peet is no Meredith Baxter Birney let alone Betty Broderick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358July 4, 2021 7:08 AM

She must be married to a higher up, right?

by Anonymousreply 1June 3, 2020 1:53 AM

June Diane Rapheal from Grace and Frankie looks more like Betty Broderick than Amanda Peet does.

by Anonymousreply 2June 3, 2020 1:53 AM

June Diane Rapheal from Grace and Frankie looks more like Betty Broderick than Amanda Peet does.

by Anonymousreply 3June 3, 2020 1:53 AM

I agree r2. This Betty is too skinny. Remember Dan's wife used to mail her articles about losing weight.

by Anonymousreply 4June 3, 2020 2:06 AM

Amanda Peet is married to the showrunner of Game Of Thrones, one of the guys who gets blamed for screwing it up

by Anonymousreply 5June 3, 2020 2:08 AM

Yeah I'm not feeling this gal as Betty.

by Anonymousreply 6June 3, 2020 2:08 AM

Umm Betty had menopausal weight on her, that was one reason Dan dumped her. This chick looks like a model.

by Anonymousreply 7June 3, 2020 2:15 AM

I remember Peet on that short lived show, "Jack & Jill," with Sarah Paulson. Has she ever had a hit? I know she has written a play or two.

by Anonymousreply 8June 3, 2020 2:22 AM

Keeping the title Dirty John for different stories of marriages from hell isn't even the dumbest thing about this.

by Anonymousreply 9June 3, 2020 8:23 AM

I no longer even recognize Amanda.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 3, 2020 10:04 AM

I like Amanda Peet. She’s a good actress.

by Anonymousreply 11June 3, 2020 1:10 PM

r8 the only thing I can think of that she was in that was a true hit was the movie Something's Gotta Give with Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton, but she wasn't the lead.

by Anonymousreply 12June 3, 2020 2:58 PM

I like Amanda Peet, but she's not right for Betty Broderick.

Meredith Baxter's performance is legend.

by Anonymousreply 13June 4, 2020 12:42 AM

Can you watch MBB's version on Hulu or streaming on some other platform?

by Anonymousreply 14June 4, 2020 12:48 AM

They showed tits in a TV movie?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 4, 2020 12:49 AM

I couldn’t watch it. The script was REALLY heavy-handed.

I like Amanda Peet. Solid in “Igby Goes Down” and Nicole Holofcener’s “Please Give”. And that episode of “Law and Order” (not kidding).

by Anonymousreply 16June 4, 2020 12:59 AM

I'm giving it a go, but it already feels ultimately unwatchable. Unless it camps up soon, I'm out. Nothing can top the original. Agree a bad choice of actres for this particular role. Bitches need to be willing to fluff up a bit once in a while. She's also too young looking fat or not.

Christian Slater looks like a tapeworm. A short tapeworm.

by Anonymousreply 17June 4, 2020 2:14 AM

*ahem* Actress . Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 18June 4, 2020 2:23 AM

I just don't recognize this story or the characters at all. Betty was vivacious and wacky. Peet is playing her as tightly wound. The story so far is all fucked up, no rhyme or reason.

This is a younger generation's take on the story, and it ain't good.

by Anonymousreply 19June 4, 2020 2:30 AM

They needed a good character actress to play Betty.

by Anonymousreply 20June 4, 2020 2:32 AM

R14 it is on YouTube for free. Shhhhhhh.......

by Anonymousreply 21June 4, 2020 2:55 AM

Has Christian Slater had a **little** work done, or what?

by Anonymousreply 22June 4, 2020 3:45 AM

Peet gives off major bitch vibes. Imo.

by Anonymousreply 23June 4, 2020 4:45 AM

Where is Linda in this portrayal? Their relationship predated the divorce.

by Anonymousreply 24June 5, 2020 12:23 AM

Igby Goes Down is the only thing that justifies her career. Excellent movie - written by Gore Vidals nephew.

by Anonymousreply 25June 5, 2020 12:46 AM

I can't be the only one who thought it was Jillian Michaels in OP's pic.

by Anonymousreply 26June 5, 2020 12:58 AM

It's picking up, Dan just hired Linda as his assistant and Betty told Dan to get rid of her

by Anonymousreply 27June 10, 2020 3:09 PM

Betty / Amanda is still too skinny - but her acting is decent. She gets across the crazy, low self esteem, frau behavior/look. I see it as critical viewing for all the new “stay at home” mom movement. It’s crazy to give up all financial control to a husband. .

by Anonymousreply 28June 10, 2020 3:17 PM

I would rather fuck Christian Slater than Stephen Collins. Christian Slater is playing Dan more accurately because he was kind of a nerd before he was successful.

by Anonymousreply 29June 10, 2020 3:36 PM

A Touch of Tuesday Weld has some good articles and comments on Betty and Dan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 10, 2020 7:01 PM

R15 That still is from the TV movie MY BREAST, about a woman suffering from breast cancer. And, yes, they did show her breast in the film. I was 14 when it originally aired and I recall it being a topic of discussion at the time, because of nudity on network television. I also watched a lot of Entertainment Tonight and they followed that story forever, it seems.

by Anonymousreply 31June 13, 2020 5:44 AM

Amanda Peete was good as Betty. Body type is off but not a big deal. I’ve always felt sorry for Betty Broderick. She should not have had to spend half her life in prison. Dan and Linda caused their own deaths.

by Anonymousreply 32July 8, 2020 4:29 AM

I just realized that Peet has crazy eyes!

by Anonymousreply 33July 8, 2020 6:28 AM

^^ [italic]JUST ? ?[/italic]

(Tho the horse teeth and anorexia bother me more.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 8, 2020 6:55 AM

I have the non-fiction books. I've taped the MB double-series. One of my top true-crime stories.

This version? Execrable! Couldn't get past Episode One. Who the HELL thought that casting Christian Slater as Dr. Dan made one scintilla of sense?!

Don't get me started on the awful lead.

by Anonymousreply 35July 8, 2020 7:17 AM

Christian Slater is better than Amanda Peete on this show. That was a total misfire hiring her.

by Anonymousreply 36July 8, 2020 9:54 AM

The casting is atrocious. Amanda Peet is all wrong for this. She could play Linda Kolkena but not Betty. Christian Slater is also miscast. Dan Broderick was a top attorney in San Diego, he had an MD and JD -- Slater looks like he didn't even graduate middle school.

What crackhead did the casting for this?

by Anonymousreply 37July 8, 2020 10:01 AM

I really enjoyed the first season that was actually *about* Dirty John. Binged all the episodes while on a plane, having only intended to watch the first episode or two. It really drew me in.

When I heard they were doing the Betty Broderick story for "the second season of Dirty John" (which makes absolutely no sense), all I could think was WHY?? It's already been done, and quite well. And the casting is ludicrous.

A shoddy money grab... that's all this is.

by Anonymousreply 38July 8, 2020 11:27 AM

Linda and Dan are responsible for their own deaths. Betty has served her time and should be out.

by Anonymousreply 39July 8, 2020 12:37 PM

Just finished Episode 7 and I'm liking the casting more and more. Slater is really dialing up the sleezy lawyer vibe and you can see why the first jury thought it was a miracle that Betty hadn't shot him earlier. I want to smack that smirk off his newly-freshened face.

Linda is a willing accomplice and is not the sweet innocent as portrayed in The Betty Broderick Story.

And Amanda .... she gives us Betty's anguish and terror beyond all the Meredith Baxter-Birney bravado.

by Anonymousreply 40July 12, 2020 12:05 AM

I'm sorry. Amanda Peet is a talented actress, but I did not buy her as a woman scorned.

by Anonymousreply 41July 12, 2020 12:16 AM

I hated this interpretation of the Betty story. The MBB version is beyond compare.

Now, on a bit of a Betty kick, I'm watching a new episode of "Snapped" and it's such a piece of shit. They just show the same photos of Betty, Dan, Linda and the murder house over and over again with dramatic music and pounding drums. The reenactments are so cheap; for some reason they have a brunette playing Betty.

by Anonymousreply 42August 9, 2020 2:21 PM

Betty Broderick is such a fascinating case study, but this series was a real turd, for all the reasons already mentioned. A limited series that was appropriately cast and stuck to the facts of the story would be very interesting to watch. Maybe someday.

by Anonymousreply 43August 9, 2020 2:31 PM

it was awful...I couldn't watch the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 44August 9, 2020 2:40 PM

I don't understand how they botched this. The original "Dirty John" with Connie Britton was excellent. Connie could have played Betty. Just call every season "Dirty John" (so stupid) and have Connie star.

by Anonymousreply 45August 9, 2020 2:51 PM

Kind of a turd, but also a good time waster. Betty was a nut job. She's the reason why men should just all be gay.

by Anonymousreply 46August 15, 2020 1:07 AM

Nobody ever considers me for roles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 15, 2020 1:28 AM

What was the story with her parents? Just fragile? Too much drama? Scared of her?

by Anonymousreply 48August 15, 2020 2:54 AM

R28, I just finished the book Until the Twelfth of Never and I'd say it was pretty neutral as far as telling the story. Dan Broderick was a real asshole and he used his position and clout to crush her emotionally and psychologically. The head judge in the family court where their divorce was being heard was his friend and a guest at his wedding. Their divorce file "went missing" with all the pleadings and all the paperwork that Betty needed. Nowadays we call what he did emotional abuse and gaslighting, back then none of it counted unless your husband put his hands on you.

by Anonymousreply 49August 15, 2020 3:26 AM

Why is it called Until the Twelfth of Never?

by Anonymousreply 50August 15, 2020 3:31 AM

Oh, and his brother Larry is a real piece of shit too. Betty and Dan's kids had to sue him to get the money that was left to them. He insisted that he be paid 50k a year to take care of them and then another 50k a year for expenses. Linda's family also had to sue him because he insisted that she died first so anything she was entitled to transferred to Dan for the 20 minutes that he supposedly outlived her.

by Anonymousreply 51August 15, 2020 3:36 AM

R50, it was a Johhny Mathis song they danced to at their wedding

by Anonymousreply 52August 15, 2020 3:38 AM

The divorce would've gone differently if it happened today, Betty would've been treated more fairly by the courts. Also, public opinion would be on Betty's side (I mean the divorce proceedings, not what happened afterwards).

by Anonymousreply 53August 15, 2020 3:39 AM

R53, there was a lot of shenanigans going on in her divorce/cusody fight. He was dragging the property settlement out years after he divorced her so he could squirrel away money to his brother and so that he could give her money that she had no idea she'd have to pay back and that would be deducted from her settlement. She really did have nowhere to turn. When the judges are shady, where can you go from there? The divorce proceedings were closed to the public; that was the first time that ever happened. When the press inquired about why they couldn't be there the judge gave her the option of having one of them sit in, but asked would a mother want to do such a thing to her children (she was also fighting for custody). She got railroaded at every turn.

by Anonymousreply 54August 15, 2020 3:47 AM

To paraphrase a classic Chris Rock bit: "I'm not saying she should've killed them, but I understand."

by Anonymousreply 55August 15, 2020 3:49 AM

I think today she would have an easier time finding a lawyer to represent her in her divorce.

by Anonymousreply 56August 15, 2020 3:51 AM

R55, one of the jurors in her first trial asked what took her so long

by Anonymousreply 57August 15, 2020 3:52 AM

R56, I think a lot of things in her case would be different today

by Anonymousreply 58August 15, 2020 3:56 AM

Betty Broderick is probably the only murderer I have ever truly felt sympathy for.

by Anonymousreply 59August 15, 2020 3:57 AM

Let her out of jail. Free Betty.

by Anonymousreply 60August 15, 2020 4:00 AM

R59, I was on the fence about her until I read this book. What he did to her really was a Chinese water torture.

by Anonymousreply 61August 15, 2020 4:02 AM

OK. Thanks to you bitchez I had to watch it on YouTube, thankyouverymuch. I can honestly say now I'm older that woman was suffering from some extreme psychosis. She was fucking nuts. Mentally ill. Yes, Meredith Baxter Burney was very good. Excellent. No, Amanda peet is not a good choice.

by Anonymousreply 62August 15, 2020 10:50 PM

Why doesn't anyone put MBB in anything? Surely she still gets an offer or two.

by Anonymousreply 63August 15, 2020 10:52 PM

R41 Peet seems like the type who wasn't a hundred percent traditional old school and would be more likely to bounce back quickly. I can see peet as the type who would write a self help book and open an organic juicing business after the divorce,not go insane.

by Anonymousreply 64August 16, 2020 3:40 PM

Hey, As I watched MBB she reminded me of someone. It bothered me all evening. Then I realized it. I had a crazy cousin who was just. like. Betty Broderick. Seriously. We're Italian. So I looked it up, and Betty Broderick was Italian. Unstable, paranoid, combative, vicious, and twisting the truth every time it didn't suit her reality. MBB was spot on. Amanda Peet is no where close to being right for that part. She has no edge. No volatility.

by Anonymousreply 65August 16, 2020 3:57 PM

r62, you watched the movie with MBB in it? While the casting was excellent, the story tilted heavily in one direction since only Dan's grifter brother, Linda's sister, and the inept prosecutor were the only ones consulted in the making of it.

CourtTV recently rose from the dead and they have Betty's second trial on their site. I was embarrassed for the prosecutor. The trial that they show is Wells' second crack at Betty, and she's absolutely AWFUL. Betty sliced and diced her....again.

The night before jury selection, Hard Copy released a tape of an unruly Betty in prison fighting with her guards in her underwear. Mysteriously that got leaked to the media just in time. One of the guards later said that that incident was the first time anything like that had happened with Betty. What a coincidence, huh? Just when some random camera was rolling to capture it all. I guess the prosecutor herself knew she needed to deal from the bottom of the deck in order to convict her. The judge also forbade any evidence of Dan Broderick's emotional abuse of Betty in the second trial.

by Anonymousreply 66August 18, 2020 5:51 PM

Is it time for an "I, Tonya" of Betty Broderick? That Aussie actress would love to do it, probably.

by Anonymousreply 67August 18, 2020 5:53 PM

R56. Today celebrity divorce attorneys would be killing each other to represent her. Betty could get out if she expressed some basic measure of sorrow about her role in shooting 2 people in their beds. BTW was a total dick and Linda was hardly the virgin sweetheart.

by Anonymousreply 68August 19, 2020 12:59 AM

Betty's trial would definitely go differently today. She would be much more of a sympathetic figure. Perhaps she wouldn't even get jail time. Things were a lot different back then.

by Anonymousreply 69August 19, 2020 1:09 AM

R68, That's what they say, she has to express remorse. But from my reading, it seems as though there is nothing she can do to be released. Even her parole hearings are light years between each other.

Sweet, virginal Linda got fired from Delta soon after her probationary period ended because she and a passenger, whose lap she was sitting on and whose lips she was kissing, disappeared into the bathroom.

She was quite the prize.

by Anonymousreply 70August 19, 2020 2:00 AM

I’d love to know what universe the people who think she wouldn’t get jail time today if she showed remorse live in. Because I got a few people I’d love to shoot in their beds, and I could act pretty remorseful if it means not being convicted of at least involuntary manslaughter. Maybe you can sympathize with her or how the system worked against her at the time, but she still shot and killed two people. That can’t be an act that goes unpunished.

by Anonymousreply 71August 19, 2020 4:08 PM

What has Linda's sex life got to do with being a murder victim?

by Anonymousreply 72August 19, 2020 4:10 PM

R71, try to keep up. We're talking about her showing remorse at her parole hearings in an effort to be released after serving 30+ years.

by Anonymousreply 73August 19, 2020 9:53 PM

[quote]Sweet, virginal Linda got fired from Delta soon after her probationary period ended because she and a passenger, whose lap she was sitting on and whose lips she was kissing, disappeared into the bathroom.

Never heard about the kissing and bathroom part.

According to Linda, she did take herself off of the guys lap but kept her legs flung over his because she didn't want to offend him.

by Anonymousreply 74August 19, 2020 10:05 PM

Not a fan of Peet

by Anonymousreply 75August 28, 2020 6:34 PM

It’s on Netflix now

by Anonymousreply 76June 3, 2021 7:40 AM

I love Amanda Peet. I think she's gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 77June 3, 2021 7:53 AM

She is too thin for the role, but I think Juliette Lewis would be a good Betty.

by Anonymousreply 78June 3, 2021 8:09 AM

The first season of Dirty John was so much better

by Anonymousreply 79June 3, 2021 8:10 AM

Jennifer Aspen who played the chubby blonde housewife in the show GCB would have been a good Betty or the daughter from Grace & Frankie as posted above. Amanda Peete is a likable actress but not right for this part.

by Anonymousreply 80June 3, 2021 8:16 AM

CourtTV documentary, with footage from the second trial.

Low-key loving the banter between Betty and prosecutor Kerry Wells, who made it clear that she couldn't stand Betty and was repulsed by her 'battered wife' defense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81June 3, 2021 8:41 AM

The only Amanda Peet film I remember seeing is "Igby Goes Down", which I enjoyed, though because it costars Susan Sarandon, it probably isn't terribly popular here on DL.

However: Sarandon's character dies, and Ryan Phillipe, and Jeff Goldblum are among the cast. Come to think of it, if Igby were gay, he'd definitely be a DLer.

by Anonymousreply 82June 3, 2021 8:58 AM

Amanda Peet seems like a not quite talented asshole.

by Anonymousreply 83June 3, 2021 9:22 AM

Betty was an innocent victim!

by Anonymousreply 84June 3, 2021 10:04 AM

The count set me up! She shot Dan then she killed herself. Just to ruin my life.

by Anonymousreply 85June 3, 2021 10:10 AM

CUNT. Why does everyone forbid me from cursing, damnit! I refuse to pay anymore fines! Oh, yeah. I, um, the cunt killed poor Dan.

by Anonymousreply 86June 3, 2021 10:15 AM

What did Betty say on the answer machine?

by Anonymousreply 87June 3, 2021 10:15 AM

R87- It was Linda's voice on Dan's answering machine, which just sent Betty into a snarling, seething rage, lol. This was after Dan moved out and got his own house. Dan had the answering machine and he and Linda recorded the standard " we can't come to the phone right now, please leave a message." Well, Betts was just livid! The cunt had no right! So Betty left obscenity filled messages calling Linda all shades of slut, whore. " Are you fucking the dirty slut now, Dan?" Those kind of messages. Betts was a real hoot!

by Anonymousreply 88June 3, 2021 10:30 AM

Were they shot in the nude?

by Anonymousreply 89June 3, 2021 10:43 AM

R79, I agree. Loved that first season.

by Anonymousreply 90June 3, 2021 11:49 AM

R79- No, both had pajamas on as far as I know. She shot Linda first, then Dan. He fell to the floor and reached for the phone. She snatched it from his hand or out if his reach and ripped it from the wall. He said " you have already killed me, Betts."

by Anonymousreply 91June 3, 2021 11:55 AM

Holiday 2007 Gap model, Amanda Peet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92June 3, 2021 12:21 PM

Dan Broderick was President of the Bar Association in San Diego at the time and that's why no one wanted to represent Betty. He was also an MD. Book smart and strategic .Also Betty was a borderline. I'm sure she was hell to live with plus she got dumpy. But Linda is that woman. Manipulative, underhanded, intentional, middle class, child of immigrants and only 21 when she set her sights on her boss. She saw Dan and she was going to take him from his wife if that was the last thing she did. I mean who sits on the lap of a passenger at your job? She was out of her league. This was not her world. And Dan was just shallow enough to fall for it.

by Anonymousreply 93June 3, 2021 12:21 PM

Make no mistake: they were all three vile, vindictive people. That Dan was a manipulative asshole and Linda a calculating cunt doesn't make Betty a saint. She could have taken her $16K per month (in the '80s!) and moved on with her life, but instead she decided to fixate on avenging herself however she could, and she didn't care that her kids were collateral damage. Even now, she insists she doesn't regret any of her actions and she'd do it all again; that's why she's still in prison, and it's almost certainly where she belongs.

by Anonymousreply 94June 3, 2021 12:21 PM

Fall 2003 Gap model, Amanda Peet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95June 3, 2021 12:23 PM

R94- Dan was also an alcoholic. His autopsy showed liver damage and advanced alcoholism. Linda sent Betty weight loss ads and just fucked with this dangerously angry women. Both her and Dan did this. Dan was a cold blooded son of a bitch, imo. Betty worked her ass off putting him through law and then med school. She did this while having his children and doing all of the child care and house work, cooking, ect. After years of working her ass off, they finally made it and were well on the way to being very wealthy, if not rich. As soon as he was successful, he dumped her for a younger wife who would reap the rewards of Betty's hard work. I would have poisoned his drunken ass. I would not have been caught.

by Anonymousreply 96June 3, 2021 12:33 PM

This thread appears to be full of frauen and man-hating lesbians. Betty is the epitome of an unstable fat frau cow. The old slag should’ve gotten the chair.

by Anonymousreply 97June 3, 2021 12:56 PM

So Betty's kids hate her, right?

by Anonymousreply 98June 3, 2021 1:05 PM

[quote] Linda sent Betty weight loss ads

How is Linda not a DL icon?

by Anonymousreply 99June 3, 2021 1:06 PM

Betty got a house and gaggles of money in the divorce. A normal person would’ve been satisfied with that. Dan met Linda and realized that Betty’s stinking, gaping maw (it must’ve been frightful) wasn’t his only option.

Linda’s only “crime” was having a tight pussy.

by Anonymousreply 100June 3, 2021 1:09 PM

R100 she got little compared to what she would have got in a fair settlement. Her husband rigged everything against her.

Linda stole him away and showed no shame or pity for dumped Betty. Instead of keeping quiet she appears to have gloated, insulted, mocked and made Betty even angrier.

by Anonymousreply 101June 3, 2021 1:42 PM

Amanda Peet, the poor man's Sarah Paulson

by Anonymousreply 102June 3, 2021 1:43 PM

R97 = Linda Broderick, sending Betty Jenny Craig ads as we speak

by Anonymousreply 103June 3, 2021 1:44 PM

I'm watching this and I remember the name as she is infamous but not when the trial was happening. Too young to be interested maybe. Now tell me was she this sympathetic? When this happened? All I can think is kill that son of a bitch gaslighting husband. Initially I thought okay she has to do some time for killing Linda, she was really an innocent to all of it and she would be next to be mentally fucked by Dan when he got tired of her. But no she is a true cunt also. I'm waiting for her to kill them and hope she can get a light sentence.

But I am spoiled, I know she is still in jail to this day. How he fucked her over in the divorce is amazing. The whole Einstein shit. Can't get over it.

by Anonymousreply 104June 3, 2021 1:47 PM

Betty and Dan's son is a teacher now

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105June 3, 2021 1:53 PM

[quote] she got little compared to what she would have got in a fair settlement.

So she was just greedy. A deranged, greedy old sow. She should’ve taken the quite generous settlement and moved on. She never would’ve had to work. She could’ve lost some weight, maybe had a facelift, gotten that poon tightened, and found a nice wealthy old widower to escort her out on the town.

Instead, she chose to make life hell for her ex-husband and his wife and ultimately murder them in cold blood while they slept. I have no sympathy for this vile murderess.

by Anonymousreply 106June 3, 2021 2:17 PM

Betty was probably a pretty shallow and unlikeable person even before the divorce. She seemed to care more about the status Dan gave her than she did him as a person. Of course, he also was probably a very unlikeable person. This is my impression from the Stumbo book. Amanda played her as more genuinely in love with Dan. I’m not sure that was the case by the time of the divorce.

by Anonymousreply 107June 3, 2021 4:11 PM

I used to work for her dad. I met her once when she was up at the firm visiting Charlie. She’s a major ally FWIW.

by Anonymousreply 108June 3, 2021 4:14 PM

Make no mistake, Linda would have eventually been cast aside by Dan, had Betty not shot them, for Wife #3. Maybe around the turn of the new millennium.

Then Wife #3 would have been tossed away for an even younger model by approximately 2016... just in time for Dan to vote for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 109June 3, 2021 4:17 PM

Permanent solutions work best on children. Trying to correct an adult's behavior certainly seems to have its challenges!

by Anonymousreply 110June 3, 2021 4:17 PM

[quote[ Then Wife #3 would have been tossed away for an even younger model by approximately 2016... just in time for Dan to vote for Trump.

How family friendly!

by Anonymousreply 111June 3, 2021 4:18 PM

Linda was not very into personal hygiene. In other words, her pussy truly did stink.

by Anonymousreply 112June 3, 2021 4:26 PM

Both "A Woman Scorned" and "Dirty John" really glossed over the numerous negative effects the divorce had on the kids.

The older daughter got knocked up in high school and had an abortion (it was rumored that Linda drove her to the clinic). The younger daughter dropped out of high school, got into drugs and partying, and would steal Betty's car. The boys were dealing with emotional problems, and one of them (I think the older one) was noted by his school as being malnourished, with head lice (this was in Dirty John).

The book by Bella Stumbo went into it in great detail.

by Anonymousreply 113June 3, 2021 4:32 PM

I love it that Dataloungers always talk about the Meredith Baxter version of the story as if it were at least on a par with "Citizen Kane" and "The Rules of the Game."

At LEAST.

by Anonymousreply 114June 3, 2021 4:37 PM

R113- Was that the daughter that Dan coldly cut out of his will? I think she was a mainline heroin addict.

R114- Meredith is a DL icon and this movie is perfection! The funniest part of the movie was when Betty/Meredith gathered all of " Dandy Dan's" clothes and burned them in front of him, lol!

by Anonymousreply 115June 3, 2021 4:44 PM

I'm not even sure I heard of the Broderick case before I found Datalounge. And finally, last fall, I binged both parts of "A Woman Scorned" and realized I had been missing out - MBB acted the hell of the role. My favorite part was her screaming in the answering machine: "I WILL NOT be ignored!", probably because that has a DL reference crossover. So thank you, DLers!

I watched "Dirty John" and read Stumbo's book shortly afterwards. One LOL moment in the beginning of the book is how the real Betty was glad that they cast MBB as her for "A Woman Scorned", because she was worried that they would cast ROSEANNE for the part!

by Anonymousreply 116June 3, 2021 4:46 PM

Where are the Broderick kids now?

by Anonymousreply 117June 3, 2021 4:47 PM

Kathleen Turner already did it best in Serial Mom.

by Anonymousreply 118June 3, 2021 4:57 PM

Did the sons have any homosexual experiences?

by Anonymousreply 119June 3, 2021 4:58 PM

MBB movie Part I

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120June 3, 2021 4:59 PM

Another favorite of mine, R118. But it doesn't reach the level of our Meredith as bat shit Betty.

by Anonymousreply 121June 3, 2021 5:00 PM

MBB movie Part II

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122June 3, 2021 5:00 PM

Dan was pretty hot. I think the hotter a guy is, the stiffer the sentence should be for the fish who offed him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123June 3, 2021 5:04 PM

The son Dan is also hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124June 3, 2021 5:07 PM

Rhett was always rather unfortunate looking. He’s got Betty’s psychotic smile.

by Anonymousreply 125June 3, 2021 5:09 PM

The Broderick boys all have sociopath eyes.

by Anonymousreply 126June 3, 2021 5:15 PM

Watching the original on TubiTV as we speak

by Anonymousreply 127June 3, 2021 5:17 PM

Why doesn't Betty just pretend to be sorry?

by Anonymousreply 128June 3, 2021 5:52 PM

Because she's personality disordered. Have you ever heard a narcissist apologize?

by Anonymousreply 129June 3, 2021 7:23 PM

r102 Sarah Paulson, chronically overrated, is the poor man's Sarah Paulson. Peet is a good actress, not perfect casting for this, though.

by Anonymousreply 130June 3, 2021 7:23 PM

Betty Broderick is the epitome of a frau. A smelly, stinky, fish frau cow.

by Anonymousreply 131June 3, 2021 7:50 PM

The new show is a total hit piece against the victims, Dan and Linda. Betty was a deranged sociopath suffering from female hysteria. The Baxter film was much better.

by Anonymousreply 132June 3, 2021 9:31 PM

r108 who are you talking about? Betty? Amanda Peete?

by Anonymousreply 133June 4, 2021 2:25 AM

[quote] Betty Broderick is the epitome of a frau. A smelly, stinky, fish frau cow.

And she smells.......down there.

by Anonymousreply 134June 4, 2021 12:54 PM

This was just released on Netflix and is #3 right now. Is anyone watching that didn't catch this last year. I'm one episode in. There is no comparison to MBB - she WAS Betty Broderick. This Betty is kind of a schlub. I need Betty in her Chanel suits and her blond quaff was signature hair. Amanda Peet actually reminds me of the actress who played Linda in the OG version. This is like noir, crazy kind of take, so I'll see it through.

by Anonymousreply 135June 6, 2021 12:59 AM

R132, there's no such thing as "female hysteria" and 90% of killers are male

by Anonymousreply 136June 6, 2021 1:00 AM

[quote]there's no such thing as "female hysteria"

Who should you believe? R136 or your lying eyes?

by Anonymousreply 137June 6, 2021 1:07 AM

[quote] The older daughter got knocked up in high school and had an abortion (it was rumored that Linda drove her to the clinic). The younger daughter dropped out of high school, got into drugs and partying, and would steal Betty's car. The boys were dealing with emotional problems, and one of them (I think the older one) was noted by his school as being malnourished, with head lice (this was in Dirty John).

[quote] The book by Bella Stumbo went into it in great detail

I remember those details in the book. Years ago, I remember stumbling onto some San Diego or La Jolla message board where a poster claimed that she was a nanny for a family in La Jolla and she encountered the Broderick sons because they attended the same school as the kids she was caring for. She said that one of the boys used to show to school in dirty clothes and hungry. The poster said something about Dan being an asshole parent and that other parents in that circle hated him.

by Anonymousreply 138June 6, 2021 1:29 AM

I bet Dan threw a mean fuck.

by Anonymousreply 139June 6, 2021 1:34 AM

“Quaff” and “coif” are two different things.

by Anonymousreply 140June 6, 2021 1:56 AM

Dan was a major asshole, gaslighting husband. Linda was a snide bitch "other woman" who thought in appropriate to interfere in his divorce. Neither of these folks deserved a death sentence.

Dan's legal skills and connections put Betty at a major disadvantage, but she definitely was her own worst enemy. She dismissed/ refused to hire several good attorneys and represented herself at the divorce. She's the one who dumped the kids at his new house to force him to be responsible and have the extra work. That backfired on her, then he wouldn't "give them back". Her acting out got her nowhere, except on a psychiatric hold, and lots more evidence for him.

Two people ended up dead when she broke into their home. All the pseudo-justifications about her taking the gun there "to force him to listen" and then she was going to shoot herself. Right, that was going to show Dan and Linda just how far over the cliff they forced poor Betty. Only problem is she killed both of them.

Betty is where she should be, the sentence was fair. Whether she will ever show remorse or be considered rehabilitated is another question. Again, she's her own worst enemy in any attempt for parole. She gets more attention that way.

by Anonymousreply 141June 6, 2021 12:30 PM

Is this about that drag queen political commentator on Twitter who acts all Good Christian Bitches?

by Anonymousreply 142June 6, 2021 1:40 PM

Betty was no "nut job," r46. Dan was a consummate gaslighter, but even so, Betty knew he was lying through his teeth about not philandering.

And the more Dan lied, the more he tried to exile her from their social circle, the more he destroyed her family life---the angrier Betty got.

Who would not?

Betty sacrificed her life to work to pay for Dan's DOUBLE degree matriculations; to bear and raise his children as a "Super-Mom"; to age gracefully (an original "Real Housewife") to still look good at Dan's side; and in general to make achieving professional success easier for Dan than it would have been on his own.

But success gave Dan Broderick other ideas, other plans.

by Anonymousreply 143June 6, 2021 2:23 PM

Dan looks like a lizard

by Anonymousreply 144June 6, 2021 2:26 PM

r132, but that film was told with the support of Dan and Linda's family. His brother and her sister were the major inputs.

This one at least used court records and talk to other people.

by Anonymousreply 145June 6, 2021 3:10 PM

r141, she has to be top dog up in Chino by now. It's been 30 years. She is one of those momma's that gets the best treatment, I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 146June 6, 2021 3:12 PM

[quote] Dan looks like a lizard

You smell like stinkfish.

by Anonymousreply 147June 6, 2021 3:54 PM

[quote] but that film was told with the support of Dan and Linda's family.

So?

Who cares what “other people” have to say? Betty is a crazy cunt who murdered two people (one of whom was a gorgeous man) in cold blood. She should’ve gotten the chair. I have no interest in any other story.

by Anonymousreply 148June 6, 2021 3:57 PM

[quote] She is one of those momma's that gets the best treatment, I'm sure.

Yes, and she should’ve gotten the chair. A gorgeous man like Dan is dead, but this fat old bitch is still alive to stink up the world with her smelly cooze until she finally kicks off? I don’t think so.

by Anonymousreply 149June 6, 2021 4:00 PM

R145, Well, then those family members weren't so bright, as the MB version shows Dan as a duplicitous, egotistical, incredibly self-centered gaslighter in the throes of a Mid-Life Crisis, complete with red sports car and chickie girlfriend.

I think the entire tragedy boils down to---when one considers everything, ranging from the denied infidelity to Dan's "fining" Betty for her phone language to selling their house without her knowledge--->

"How DARE he?!"

But Dan did dare, and to do much more than to eat a peach.

And he lost.

by Anonymousreply 150June 6, 2021 4:04 PM

R150= murderous lesbian

by Anonymousreply 151June 6, 2021 4:06 PM

R149, You "don't think so"?

Meet reality.

by Anonymousreply 152June 6, 2021 4:06 PM

R151, Not gay. Just your garden-variety Scorpio.

by Anonymousreply 153June 6, 2021 4:08 PM

Begone, fraufish!

by Anonymousreply 154June 6, 2021 4:10 PM

Betty Broderick is the face of modern feminism. They no longer hide the fact that their endgame has always been to kill men.

by Anonymousreply 155June 6, 2021 4:26 PM

Poor Dan. If only he’d found a sister to take care of him instead of messing with stinkfish, he’d be alive today.

by Anonymousreply 156June 6, 2021 4:28 PM

R156, Don't you really mean "Poor Dan. If only he'd realized he was gay, as all men are, and found a man to take care of him....."?

by Anonymousreply 157June 6, 2021 4:47 PM

I knew this show must have had a resurgence when I started receiving upvotes on my old comments from a year ago on Primetimer forum

by Anonymousreply 158June 6, 2021 6:05 PM

Dan would have had no use for gay men so quit fantasizing about that douche

by Anonymousreply 159June 6, 2021 6:06 PM

Oh, and Betty is also a Scorpio (November 7).

by Anonymousreply 160June 6, 2021 6:31 PM

This version has taken make a while to get into but has really picked up steam by episode 4. The problem is that they are trying to stretch out a very well known story over 8 episodes, when 2-4 max would have done. One thing that is consistent in both portrayals is that Betty seems absolutely exhausting. Peet play her with a more powerless vulnerability (at least up to this point) to Meredith's "don't fuck with me fellas" type of fierceness. Christian Slater has always had a skeezy vibe, so the already questionable Dan seems all the more loathsome played by Slater. Linda seems like a gold digging seductress whore in this one vs. the more innocent, angelic version in MB's movie.

by Anonymousreply 161June 6, 2021 7:09 PM

Betty is part of the pop culture fabric of the 80s. I recently watched her YouTube videos on Oprah. She seems slightly unhinged; maybe she does have borderline personality disorder. On all of the YouTube videos about Betty, the vast majority of the comments are supportive of her.

I just started watching the Netflix series today. Betty is privileged and has a college degree, she still goes along with the expectation of the submissive, supportive wife. The show emphasizes the fact that Betty does everything society told her she is supposed to do. She supports her husband and raises his kids while he climbs the corporate ladder. But then, once he reaches the top of the ladder, and she's supposed to enjoy the success she helped him earn, he dumps her. He basically used her as an accessory and disposed of her when she was no longer useful to him.

The happened to many, many other women, but on a smaller scale. And Betty did what they fantasized about doing. And that's why she has so many supporters on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 162June 6, 2021 8:10 PM

Peet made Betty way too subdued, it felt off. MBB seemed to be more on the money with how frazzled, frenzied and chaotic the real Betty was as the divorce went on.

This was especially true with the infamous 'Bronco through the front door' incident. Peet's Betty was taken away by the police passively, MBB's Betty was kicking and screaming the entire time.

by Anonymousreply 163June 6, 2021 8:19 PM

Slaters eye work is so fucking distracting.

by Anonymousreply 164June 6, 2021 8:35 PM

r148, all you care about was that Dan was gorgeous. He was a gaslighting, controlling asshole. Not saying he deserved to be murdered. But I could see that he did have it coming.

by Anonymousreply 165June 6, 2021 8:45 PM

MBB was born to play Betty. She looked remarkably like Betty. And she also seems to have an "unhinged" quality boiling below the surface.

by Anonymousreply 166June 6, 2021 8:53 PM

Starts tonight? It's been on for days.

by Anonymousreply 167June 6, 2021 8:54 PM

Bless your heart, R167.

by Anonymousreply 168June 6, 2021 9:02 PM

"Umm Betty had menopausal weight on her, that was one reason Dan dumped her."

Umm, no. When Dan left her she was a normal weight. She claimed that when he told her she was fat she wore a size 8 and said that couldn't have been that big for someone as tall as she was (she was 5'10). She probably weighted more than Linda did though; there are photos where Linda looks stick skinny. I guess Dan liked them skinny. But Betty DID get fat after Dan left her. It was comfort eating that did it. She was the same way with money. She's spend and spend to make herself feel better, but it only worked for about 15 minutes. Betty just went on a downward spiral after Dan left her; she became fat, wore her hair in a ponytail, wore sweat suits most of the time (she used to be very stylish and well put together), used foul language and ranted and raved to anybody who would listen to her. The Dirty John shows about her document her mental disintegration but don't really touch on her physical decline at all. In the shows she sometimes looks haggard and is seen on occasion stuffing her face but she doesn't look anywhere near the total physical mess she became in real life.

by Anonymousreply 169June 6, 2021 9:13 PM

[quote] [R148], all you care about was that Dan was gorgeous.

What else is there to care about?

by Anonymousreply 170June 6, 2021 9:36 PM

Also, everyone is saying the cast is too young. Weren't the Brodericks around early to mid 40's when this happened? MBB looked younger than Peet does despite the harsh hair color and 80's wardrobe. Peet is 50 and Slater is 56. Slater is one of the few cases where the ultra botox for men seems to work, but again that kind of measly face. They actually look too old to me for these characters. Nobody leaves a harassing voice message like MBB and those poor kids who had to listen. We don't get as much of the kids as we do in A Woman Scorned.

In the Bronco scene, I doubt the cops would straight jacket Betty in the front yard. I feel like Meredith's version is a purists version of the story and I don't remember that. The secretary pissed and confronting Dan when whore Linda (RIP) become receptionist to paralegal in a day is consistent in both films.

by Anonymousreply 171June 6, 2021 9:39 PM

I like murder stories where the victim was an asshole (not that they deserve to be killed) and you have a little sliver of sympathy for the murderer.

by Anonymousreply 172June 6, 2021 10:04 PM

"Peet is 50 and Slater is 56."

When the affair started Dan was 37 and Linda was 21 (not 19, as Betty liked to say). I think Betty was 35 or 36. So they were much younger than the actors who played them.

by Anonymousreply 173June 6, 2021 10:29 PM

Was Doug Savant in this? It was a minor part as one of the philandering husbands. I've loved him ever since he played a gay on Melrose Place. He looks fantastic for 56! He's aged very well.

by Anonymousreply 174June 7, 2021 5:15 AM

R174 yes, Doug had a very small role in this. I binged both seasons this weekend. The first was much better. Although I feel like both Britton and Peet were too old for their roles. I'm shocked that Peet is only 50. And Slater was too short for the role. The other actors towered over him.

Dan Broderick was a monster. He tormented his mentally fragile wife for years, seemingly just for kicks. I have no sympathy for him or "the whore". All involved parties made horrible decisions. And all were driven by greed.

by Anonymousreply 175June 7, 2021 5:33 AM

Dan wasn’t handsome until he got the nose job. Dan and bettys youngest child Rhett got Dan’s nose.

by Anonymousreply 176June 7, 2021 7:32 AM

Betty and Dan seemed to enjoy winding each other up. Maybe there was a level of dangerous kink, like an S&M relationship.

by Anonymousreply 177June 7, 2021 7:45 AM

Why would you ask and then answer your own question , R174? Are you the type of person in love with the sound of their own voice?

by Anonymousreply 178June 7, 2021 1:51 PM

Amanda Peet was surprisingly good.

I wasn't familiar with the real Betty Broderick so I wasn't comparing her, but Peet's acting was much better than I expected.

I just felt that it was at least twice as long as it should have been. And there were no sympathetic characters.

As soon as I'd feel sorry for Betty, she'd do something stupid/awful to make her own life worse.

And her "friends" at the trial were all cunts. That was very abrupt. They hadn't been like that to her before. I get that they were tired of her at that point, but I didn't buy that they would all turn on her like that.

by Anonymousreply 179June 7, 2021 3:19 PM

It was absolutely stretched out far too long.

by Anonymousreply 180June 7, 2021 4:05 PM

Sometimes I think Betty doesn't really want to leave prison. She has been there for too many years. It might be hard for her to forge a life outside of prison. For one thing, she doesn't have any money and she is quite status conscious.

by Anonymousreply 181June 7, 2021 6:33 PM

The next time she's eligible for parole will be in 2032. She will be 83 years old. She's only worked sporadic odd jobs, so she'll have no social security. I don't believe she'll be entitled to her ex-husband's money. If her children inherited the money, they might not want to share it with her.

Honestly, at 83, she should just stay in prison. At least she'll get meals and health care. It's probably better than a state-run nursing home.

by Anonymousreply 182June 7, 2021 7:25 PM

I don't think she wants to be paroled either. When she first got arrested, she slept better in her jail cell than she had for years in her bed at home. She really was spiraling out of control in the two or so years before she shot Dan and Linda, it seems that something extreme was going to happen regardless.

Plus, due to all the publicity she was getting during her trials, she was a bit of a Queen Bee in prison.

by Anonymousreply 183June 7, 2021 7:27 PM

I read that 2 of her kids want her to be released, and 2 think she shouldn't.

by Anonymousreply 184June 7, 2021 7:28 PM

Before Betty was sentenced her attorney Jack Earley said of her: "She doesn't need to get out. She just needs to get OLD." He also said "what would she do if she did get out?" My guess is that is she did get out she wouldn't buy a gun and start blowing people away, as her detractors seem to think. She's probably live with one of her children (it would have to be Lee or Rhett; Kim and Danny Jr. want her to die in prison), spend time with her grandchildren and try to get a job. She's no danger to anyone. As Rhett said the only people who would be in danger if she got out are dead.

by Anonymousreply 185June 7, 2021 9:11 PM

The two who testified against her predictably don't want her to be released. Would you? We know what she does to people who she feels have betrayed her...

by Anonymousreply 186June 7, 2021 9:26 PM

She's not a serial killer, R186. Two people consistently, continually tormented her until she snapped and killed them. To think that she'd get out of prison and start blowing away everybody she doesn't like is ridiculous. She's in her seventies now, and in poor health. If she got out she'd want to spend the time she has left with her kids and grandkids. She's a harmless old lady.

by Anonymousreply 187June 7, 2021 11:48 PM

I watched the entire season and it finally got good after episode 3. Amanda Peet did do a good crazy in later episodes.

by Anonymousreply 188June 8, 2021 12:15 AM

I just watched the MBB version on Tubi. Her performance is not as epic as I'd remembered. However, she was a far better physical match than Peet. The MBB version is not as detailed. It assumes the viewer knows the story already.

by Anonymousreply 189June 9, 2021 2:23 AM

Amanda Peet gets credit for letting herself look like shit as time went by.

Early on, she was in perfect makeup, hair, and Chanel when lunching with friends. Later, she was wearing a warmup and looked as if she'd slept in her car.

by Anonymousreply 190June 9, 2021 4:08 AM

If they had cast an actor better looking than moon-faced Christian Slater, it would have been clearer why Betty killed for that hot dick her husband was cruelly depriving her of.

by Anonymousreply 191June 9, 2021 4:10 AM

Dan Broderick was WAY better looking than Christian Slater. After his nose job he was classically handsome. I have no idea why Slater, who has always looked weird, was cast as him.

by Anonymousreply 192June 9, 2021 5:14 AM

Wait, this series has been going on for a year already? I thought it was just starting.

Amanda Peet in the OP’s picture is a very attractive woman. Is she about Angie Dickinson’s age when she did Dressed To Kill?

by Anonymousreply 193June 9, 2021 5:28 AM

I simply cant take how stupid R193 is.

by Anonymousreply 194June 9, 2021 1:44 PM

I thought it was a new series, too. As it just popped up on Netflix.

What shocked me is that it has a higher rating than the original Dirty John, which I thought was far more entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 195June 9, 2021 1:58 PM

I sometimes mistake Amanda Peet for Hilary Swank and vv.

by Anonymousreply 196June 9, 2021 3:46 PM

R196 Does Amanda Whatever have two Oscars, too?

by Anonymousreply 197June 9, 2021 5:09 PM

R197 I meant their faces are very similar.

by Anonymousreply 198June 10, 2021 1:14 AM

MBB was nominated for an EMMY for her portrayal. I love the subject matter, but I am losing interest and I'm on episode 6 or 7. There is not a huge camp element either. It just feels like prolonged misery, which I guess was what marriage was like to either of them. I'll finish up though.

by Anonymousreply 199June 10, 2021 2:19 AM

The MBB Betty Broderick movies were highly biased in favor of Dan and Linda and portrayed Betty as a complete bitch from start to finish. It was pretty much bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 200June 10, 2021 2:57 AM

As entertaining as Betty is, I can't believe people would a defend a crazy bitch who shot two people in their sleep.

MBB was fab, Amanda Peet tried but was all wrong.

by Anonymousreply 201June 10, 2021 3:10 AM

I'm watching the series. Amanda Peet doesn't fit the role physically but she's doing a great job. She had big shoes to fill with MBB.

by Anonymousreply 202June 10, 2021 3:46 AM

[quote] I simply cant take how stupid [R193] is.

It’s okay. I like you, and I want to be your friend.

by Anonymousreply 203June 10, 2021 4:04 AM

This is what Betty said happened and I believe her:

She'd gotten a nasty legal letter from Dan's attorney saying she MIGHT be able to have some custody of her kids if she adhered to their rules, and if she didn't custody would immediately be revoked. That made her snap; she got some crazy idea that is she showed up at Dan's house with a gun he and Linda would HAVE to listen to her. Of course they'd never let her in the house, so she used a key belonging to her daughter and let herself in in the wee hours of the morning. In her crazy mind, she thought she would, armed with a gun, tell them to leave her alone or she's blow her brains out. She stepped into the room; Linda saw her and screamed "CALL THE POLICE!" and Dan lunged from the phone. And in a fear fueled panic she shot the gun five times. She said Dan spoke to her, said "You got me" or something like that. Afraid he'd call the police on her, she broke the phone cord. And fled the house.

I don't think it was first degree murder. I don't think she had any plan to kill them when she went into the house. I don't think she had any plan at all. Her mind was totally disoriented; I don't think she could have planned a ham sandwich at that point in her life. I think it was a murder that happened out of sheer panic.

I have sympathy for Betty Broderick but I think she got what she deserved: a long prison sentence. But she should have been let out before now. She's no threat to anyone. But her mind is still stuck in Dan and Linda mode. She'll never get over that, so I think unless she gets some kind of compassionate release due to her age or ill health, she will probably die in prison.

by Anonymousreply 204June 10, 2021 4:15 AM

She was - and probably still is - completely, obsessively crazy. If they let her out, she'd probably transfer her obsessive craziness to one or more of the kids. I think she is where she belongs. And I agree with what Dan said (if he actually said it in real life), she has a huge sense of entitlement which is oftentimes a trait in socio- and psychopaths. Self-centered and narcissistic are also traits of those types of egos as well, and she had all three of those traits in spades. I lived in the San Diego area during the time of the trial and saw quite a few of the courtroom clips. You could tell she was a psycho.

by Anonymousreply 205June 10, 2021 4:48 AM

If anybody was a "narcissist" it was Dan Broderick. That guy thought the sun rose and set on him. As for Betty, it seemed to me she was no narcissist; in fact she had low self esteem that was only assuaged by being Dan's wife and the mother of his children. When she lost him and the children she went bonkers. She felt she was nothing without her marriage and children. Some "narcissist."

by Anonymousreply 206June 10, 2021 4:55 AM

R205 Agree 100%. The crazy is well documented in the writings of Bella Stumbo, who was somewhat sympathetic to Betty.

by Anonymousreply 207June 10, 2021 5:01 AM

r206 they can both be narcissists. Having low self-esteem has nothing to do with being, or not being, a narcissist. In fact, "Narcissistic Personality Disorder" lists low self-esteem as one of the hallmarks of the disease. The link explains it better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208June 10, 2021 5:13 AM

"Narcissist" should be the Oxford Dictionary word of the year. You can't go a day without reading it.

by Anonymousreply 209June 10, 2021 12:42 PM

R209 The word became widely used in reference to Trump. I rarely saw it before his reign. It's his fault, as is everything fucked up about society right now.

by Anonymousreply 210June 10, 2021 4:07 PM

I thought this was a new series too until I noticed the fade-outs for commercial breaks and realized it had been made for regular TV.

I love Peet but she's physically miscast as BB, as is Slater. I found everyone's overacting a bit exasperating although it's not a bad show, overall.

by Anonymousreply 211June 10, 2021 4:13 PM

[quote]I love Peet but she's physically miscast as BB, as is Slater.

Yes, Slater made a dreadful Betty.

by Anonymousreply 212June 10, 2021 4:26 PM

I just binged all 8 episodes. I thought Peet was very good and Slater, who plays slimy characters very well, was okay. It probably helps that I don't know what the real Betty or Dan or Linda look like. Also, I remember watching the MBB version years ago and liking it. I thought this most recent version gave more background but I like both versions equally.

by Anonymousreply 213June 10, 2021 4:57 PM

I didn't know what Betty looked like either.

No wonder he divorced her!

by Anonymousreply 214June 10, 2021 5:32 PM

Jon Hamm would have been a much better choice for the role of Dan Broderick than Christian Slater.

by Anonymousreply 215June 10, 2021 6:11 PM

R215 Both juries would have acquitted Betty for killing for Jon Hamm dick.

by Anonymousreply 216June 10, 2021 6:15 PM

Bella Stumbo's "Until The Twelfth of Never" is the Bible of the Betty Broderick case. Anyone interested in this crime should read this book because it will tell you EVERYTHING. Stumbo is not as much sympathetic to Betty as she is HONEST about her. And Dan. And Linda. She portrays them all accurately, without bias, and they all have one thing in common: they were all selfish, self absorbed people who put their needs above everyone else's, especially the Broderick children. They were all awful.

Another awful character in all the mess was Kim, Betty's oldest daughter. Kim was, like her mother, very materialistic. She ran up high phone bills, smashed her car and expected Dan to pay the bills and get a new car. He wouldn't, so she would run to Betty who promptly got her a rental car and paid her phone bills, despite not really having the money to do it. Kim also ran whining and crying to Betty because Dan only gave her $150 to buy a dress for her junior prom. So what does Betty do? She runs right out and buys a v-neck, peach satin, beaded gown for $800, with "matching slippers." Kim's complaints and crying about how Dan was nickel and diming her enraged Betty, threw fuel on the fire of her anger. But when Kim testified for the prosecution at her mother's trial, she lied through her teeth, saying that she never really made a big deal about the prom dress or the bills or anything like that, Betty was just exaggerating again. Kim seems a lot like her dear old Dad; out for herself totally, cold and totally without compassion for her mother, who spend thousands of dollars on her to make her happy.

by Anonymousreply 217June 10, 2021 8:07 PM

They were both nuts.

Dan should have given her the money she asked for. He just had to have everything his way.

Betty resorted to ridiculous tactics when her sense of injustice wasn't satiated. Everyone tried to advise her to calm the F down, but she never listened to anyone.

BTW, the money he ended up giving her was way more than most alimony payments many women of that era got. It's not like she was living in a shoebox. And a lot of housewives get dumped for younger women; you have to move on.

by Anonymousreply 218June 10, 2021 8:26 PM

Hot damn, I wish someone would give my middle-aged ass alimony. He could have the kids, too. Go be with your 21-year old trophy wife.

That sounds like a great arrangement to me. I’d live in an apartment and do yoga and read books and ride my bike and enjoy the peace and quiet.

by Anonymousreply 219June 10, 2021 9:01 PM

R219 Life isn't worth living without a big dick in you!

by Anonymousreply 220June 10, 2021 10:19 PM

R219 I know! She got a lot of money too.

by Anonymousreply 221June 11, 2021 7:18 PM

For those of you complaining about the casting, then who should have played Dan and Betty?

I"d pick Ty Burrell for Dan. There's some resemblance, and I'd like to see him play an evil character.

If this were ten years ago, then Courtney Love would have been perfect to play Betty. Or Courtney Thorne Smith. Today, I'd pick Jaime Pressly or Anna Faris.

by Anonymousreply 222June 11, 2021 11:25 PM

They should have put Amanda Peet in a fat suit to play Betty after her physical deterioration. That would have been fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 223June 12, 2021 12:21 AM

Completely left out of the Dirty John episodes was Brad Wright, Betty's boyfriend. Yes, Betty had a boyfriend, a nice, handsome, loyal, well off man who was a few years younger than she was. He affectionately called the rotund Betty "The Bear." He had a kind of childlike naivete about him that was very appealing. He was nice, good looking, had his own business; I think any woman would have been happy to be with him. But there was one thing wrong with him: he wasn't Dan Broderick. He wasn't a hot shot, go getting, socially prominent millionaire attorney. Betty considered him inferior to Dan. He remained loyal to her after she went to jail, but they eventually parted ways at some point. I saw a video on YouTube about him; seems he had a storage locker and didn't keep up with the fees; apparently absent minded, he forgot that the locker contained love letters from Betty Broderick. The contents of the locker were auctioned off and the love letters became public. Betty told him "if I had a penny for every time I think of you I'd be a millionaire many times over." The locker also contained cancelled checks; he gave money to Betty and also her daughter, to "help her out." In one letter she writes "Where are you and where's my money? Help! I need to see you, it's been too, too long." He said he wishes the letters had never been published (no surprise, there) and considers his time with Betty "a dark chapter in his life."

by Anonymousreply 224June 12, 2021 3:39 AM

This series was terrible.

There was no attempt to fully grasp any of the characters. It was more like a film BASED on the people- with no attempt to capture them.

They could have been playing anyone. Peet was fine. Christian was blah. The kids were horrible.

It looked CHEAP AS FUCK, made no attempt to even capture Dan Diego/La Jolla.

The homes looked so cheap, the law firm setting was nothing like the real thing.

I cannot believe that this was so many episodes.

For me the production design was horrible on all levels, and made it even worse.

by Anonymousreply 225June 12, 2021 4:34 PM

I am still trying to get through this. I'm on the final episode. The whole series is Betty sobbing. Where is the rage, the anger, where is the WOMAN SCORNED????? Where are the fist fights in prison? I will give Peet credit for being able to maintain a level of constant misery and despair for 8 hours. It's harder to play desperate sadness that fury, but it's so tedious. I love this story and was waiting for this version to finally get to Netflix. Thank God I didn't purchase this on Amazon when I was bored over quarantine. I would have been pissed! I need to watch the first Dirty John. That one is supposed to be good and I love Connie Britton.

by Anonymousreply 226June 12, 2021 4:43 PM

R226- The first Dirty John was AWESOME. And it was even better because I knew nothing about that case prior to watching. Highly recommended either way.

Like night and day- the actors in that one really tried to capture the characters they were playing- it was really good.

by Anonymousreply 227June 12, 2021 4:48 PM

That house he lived in did look cheap.

And they cut corners by having the wedding at the same house Betty had lived in.

The husband had bought a new mansion by then.

by Anonymousreply 228June 12, 2021 4:49 PM

Season 3: Dirty Yashar.

by Anonymousreply 229June 12, 2021 4:50 PM

I hate Amanda Peet

by Anonymousreply 230June 12, 2021 4:52 PM

BB experts. Was Betty's cliffside La Jolla house a teardown like the one portrayed here or was it a nice move in ready home like in MBB's version? I can't see the pre-divorce Betty agreeing to leave her nice house with down to go live in a tear down with the family. They would have remained in their original home, done the work, and then moved in. Peet's house looks like one of those old shacks in Malibu that smell like mildew and have old carpeting. It looks like this was filmed in Palos Verdes.

by Anonymousreply 231June 12, 2021 5:00 PM

The whole aesthetic was visually “dark.” We get it. Hated it. MBB version was bright and engaging.

Is R230 Howard Stern?

by Anonymousreply 232June 12, 2021 5:32 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233June 12, 2021 5:37 PM

R233 I remember it. Wasn’t there a horrific scene of her gobbling cake out by a dumpster?

by Anonymousreply 234June 12, 2021 5:41 PM

[quote] Wasn’t there a horrific scene of her gobbling cake out by a dumpster?

No she did not!???!?!?!?! OK, I am going to get drunk at a day time Pride event and watch it this evening wasted if I can find it on Amazon or Apple. I'm sold by the prospect seeing an upper middle class white woman dumpster diving for cake in a bulimic frenzy!

by Anonymousreply 235June 12, 2021 5:44 PM

R235 I think she got the cake at a supermarket and then went out back to devour it, if memory serves. But your viewing plans sound excellent!

by Anonymousreply 236June 12, 2021 5:47 PM

Yeah, not worth 8 episodes and, if you binge, it drags terribly. Episodes seem to go by with absolutely no point.

by Anonymousreply 237June 12, 2021 5:47 PM

R233-HELL YES!!! Kate's Secret is a classic! I watched that one in 1986 during summer repeats at my grandparents house!! I was in awe at the age of 9.

I think the finest scene in all of filmdom (TV and Cinema) is when Kate decides to DEVOUR a package of cookies IN THE SUPERMARKET while hiding from the security camera. Kate was not only Bulimic, but straight up GANGSTA!

The other scene is after (or during) a dinner party when Kate basically FUCKS THE LEFTOVERS on the floor!!!! She literally has an orgasm. Chocolate Cake- everything. The most horrible part is when she shoves a plateful of macaroni salad in her mouth (WITH HER HANDS) and then scoops of a heaping bite of that delicious chocolate cake! Its disgusting!

Meredith Baxter Birney RULES!

by Anonymousreply 238June 12, 2021 6:36 PM

The Dirty John series really watered down Betty's foul language. She never said "Linda the whorel Kolkena." It was always "Linda the CUNT Kolkena." And Dan was "fuckhead." She left a message for them on the answering machine that started "This message is for Fuckhead and the Cunt." She was always leaving messages like that, due in part to hearing Linda Kolkena's voice on Dan's answering machine. Linda the Cunt put her voice on Dan's answering machine BEFORE they were married. Why did she do that? Why, to enrage Betty of course. And that's just ONE of the things she did to drive Betty nuts.

by Anonymousreply 239June 12, 2021 7:21 PM

The first Dirty John was so much more entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 240June 12, 2021 7:53 PM

R238 And then she puts the package of cookies back on the shelf!

by Anonymousreply 241June 12, 2021 7:55 PM

[quote]] Betty was no "nut job," [R46]. Dan was a consummate gaslighter, but even so, Betty knew he was lying through his teeth about not philandering.

Yes, it's the work of a sane person to drive her car into a house's side in order to punish someone.

by Anonymousreply 242June 12, 2021 7:56 PM

R233- The ENTIRE telefilm!!! Link for you.

And this bitch was hardcore. After stealing the cookies and eating them while hiding from one camera, this bitch decides to mosey on over to the dairy section, pops open a carton of milk, and washes those delicious cookies down!!!! Shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243June 12, 2021 8:45 PM

Ok you bitches, I'm watching "Kate's Secret," the big cookie scene. Looks like the bingeing scenes will be accompanied by weird distorted funhouse music. And omg she then throws UP in the dumpster! Ok, no more spoilers.

by Anonymousreply 244June 12, 2021 11:39 PM

R244- And she WASHES THEM DOWN WITH MILK AFTER!

WITH HER MOTHER WAITING IN THAT BEAUTIFUL JEEP WAGONEER with the wood sides! (A sought after classic today)

And they stopped there to get her ( under the false pretense) mom mint tea!!!!

Instead Gangsta-Bitch Kate steals cookies, eats the package, throws the remainder on the shelf, strolls over to dairy, steals milk, swigs it down, and tells her mu-va that the store was OUT OF THE MINT TEA!

Gangsta!

by Anonymousreply 245June 12, 2021 11:55 PM

R238 Oh my GAWD you weren't kidding about the party leftovers scene. That drama far exceeds the cookie scene imo.

The whole thing takes place in a very cozy upscale Malibu family milieu.

by Anonymousreply 246June 12, 2021 11:57 PM

R246- SHIT!!!! Was the cookie scene at the Trancas Market?? I actually wondered that!

The Party Leftovers scene is like watching your parents have sex. It is supremely dirty and uncomfortable.

And the background music when she EYES THE CAKE!!!

This movie is a classic for the ages

by Anonymousreply 247June 13, 2021 12:06 AM

And back to Betty-

Isn't it crazy that in this shitty Netflix version, Amanda at least says a swear in the "leaving message" scene, and yet Meredith Baxter Birney says "Are you with her now Dan? Are you making it with the DOGMEAT on the stairs now Dan" ? And somehow the Meredith version is one million times better and more effective? DOGMEAT??

Meredith = Queen

by Anonymousreply 248June 13, 2021 12:09 AM

Thanks for this R243. Watching now. I was in the mood for some campy fun!

by Anonymousreply 249June 13, 2021 12:15 AM

R248, after watching 'A Woman Scorned' the first time, I would say the dog meat line to myself and then laugh. That line and MBB's delivery of it was just flawless.

by Anonymousreply 250June 13, 2021 12:38 AM

There’s a foreshadowing of MBB’s Betty performance in Kate’s Secret. Kate is the perfect housewife but cunty to her husband in the same way as Betty, and her manic binge scenes recall Betty trashing Dan’s house.

by Anonymousreply 251June 13, 2021 12:42 AM

Right?? Its actually a very good early 90's TV movie of the week version of "this is for the scumbag and the CUNT!" message...

How the fuck could that scene be 200 times better than a 2020 Netflix version that includes a SWEAR??

It's Meredith, Bitch.

She is straight up gangsta, bitch.

I need to start a Youtube dedicated to MBB.

I have to get this bitch for an interview, and then it is EAST STREET!

by Anonymousreply 252June 13, 2021 12:44 AM

^^ Motherfuck! EASY STREET!

by Anonymousreply 253June 13, 2021 12:44 AM

Wasn't Tracy Nelson in that bulemia movie as an anorexic model/ star of some sort that MBB meets in treatment?

Sorry for the interruption... but MBB was great in that movie as well as the classic Betty Broderick ones.

by Anonymousreply 254June 13, 2021 2:21 AM

And hell- 80's SUPERSTAR- Miss Shari Belafonte Harper played her bestest friend!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 255June 13, 2021 2:41 AM

i read Bella Stumbo's book. She thoroughly documented Betty's torrent of obscenities. But nowhere does she report that Betty used the word :"dogmeat" to refer to Linda. I wonder where the writers came up with that one? Oh well, they had to have her some something distasteful and since they couldn't use the words she actually used they had to think up some other gross thing for her to say. But "dogmeat?" I thought that was pretty funny.

by Anonymousreply 256June 13, 2021 2:42 AM

I own Bella's paperback.

But DOGMEAT worked better in 1992(93?) than "ASSHOLE" in 2020!!!

Fuck this 2020 piece of SHIT!

by Anonymousreply 257June 13, 2021 2:45 AM

Dogmeat isn’t even a word I’ve ever heard, out of the Betty context. It’s genius though. Imagine some Hollywood screenwritee brainstorming it.

by Anonymousreply 258June 13, 2021 3:13 AM

Screenwriter

by Anonymousreply 259June 13, 2021 3:13 AM

Am I really supposed to believe Tracy Nelson as a model??????

by Anonymousreply 260June 13, 2021 3:32 AM

Betty won.

by Anonymousreply 261June 13, 2021 3:45 AM

I'm going to have to look this one up I guess. I loved The Twelfth of Never and the MBB film. I wasn't even aware of this newer one. I am team Betty all the way. Dan, for some insane reason, just loved to poke at this piranha lady with a sharp fork. He couldn't seem to help himself. For that reason alone he got what he deserved. You don't go poking a crazed, angry person that much and for that long, without consequences. Stupid, stupid fellow. This entire story is a lesson that should be learned by every tormentor... you poke the bear enough times and it will eventually attack and devour you. Should she be let out of prison? Can't really say. I doubt she would ever harm another human, but she did kill two people. She is probably better off just remaining in the cooler. What she did to Dan and Linda, she was pushed to the limit to do. He was a royal fucker of a guy.

by Anonymousreply 262June 13, 2021 4:49 AM

Wasn't that Linda chick a real cunt to her too?

by Anonymousreply 263June 13, 2021 4:52 AM

Yes, Linda was a "real cunt" to Betty: putting her voice on Dan's answering machine before they were married. notarizing legal missives Dan sent to Betty (like the one cancelling her insurance), sending her anonymous mailings that considered of ads for weight loss products and wrinkle cream. She (and Dan) would call Betty fat, the beast, the monster, etc. within earshot of the Broderick children. Not only that, Linda would butt in when it came to the kids, telling Dan to keep Betty away from them. She also encouraged him to fine her more and have her thrown in jail more. Linda was indeed "The Cunt."

As for Dan, well, he was so cocksure of himself that he thought he could do anything and get away with it. He had no fear of Betty. He did keep poking at her until she finally snapped. Why did Dan and Linda continue to torment Betty, whose mind was unraveling more and more each day? That's one of the mysteries of the case: why didn't they back off when they could plainly see Betty was getting more and more out of control? Betty's attorney said this about how Dan kept at her heedlessly: "He must have been really stupid or had a real death wish."

by Anonymousreply 264June 13, 2021 6:09 AM

Funny how Betty wasn't "bonkers" or "crazy" or "narcissistic" or "psycho" or, especially, "selfish" when she worked multiple jobs to pay for Dan to get TWO professional degrees (medicine and law) while being pregnant, giving birth, and raising their children.

Funny how people didn't describe Betty with pejoratives until the highly esteemed and successful Dan Broderick chose his fateful path of cheating, gaslighting, divorcing, and, in their milieu, making Betty a social exile.

Linda was a younger, slimmer, and more deferential version of Betty. She got to attend the graduation ceremony of one of Betty's children, without having had any of the less glamorous work of nurturing that child.

Linda was allowed to simply inherit Betty's house and home, family, and friends. Dan allowed Betty only memories.

That's the type of human being Daniel Broderick was.

by Anonymousreply 265June 13, 2021 6:34 AM

That would, of course, be "while she was being pregnant,,...."

by Anonymousreply 266June 13, 2021 6:36 AM

Kim and Danny jr don’t want her out but both actually visit her in prison. Their big issue is that she doesn’t show or have remorse. Rhett and lee have made peace with that. I think one of dans brothers squandered some of the kids inheritance. Also weren’t Dan and Linda sending Betty ads for fat farms and weight loss products? My memory is rusty but right before going to work for Dan wasn’t linda a flight attendant who was fired for fucking a passenger?

by Anonymousreply 267June 13, 2021 7:00 AM

R258, You'd never heard the word "dogmeat"?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268June 13, 2021 11:57 AM

Dan and Linda got what they deserved. Plus some Jury members were so stupid they didn't understand the sentencing guidelines so they mistakenly convicted her more harshly than they intended.

by Anonymousreply 269June 13, 2021 4:08 PM

I binged it this weekend. It was OK: not bad, not especially impressive. Interesting arc though--the first episode made Betty look ridiculous and Dan practically a saint, and the remaining episodes completely flipped that impression around.

I don't understand why it was made part of a Dirty John series. This case has nothing to do with John Meehan.

by Anonymousreply 270June 13, 2021 5:32 PM

R270 it's about a love story gone bad. But yeah, they should've changed the title.

by Anonymousreply 271June 13, 2021 5:39 PM

[quote] Interesting arc though--the first episode made Betty look ridiculous and Dan practically a saint, and the remaining episodes completely flipped that impression around.

I don't agree. I think Dan came across as bad in the beginning (there was a lot of foreboding when they first go married -- like him telling her on their honeymoon that they didn't need a hotel maid because she could make the bed), but Betty came across as much less sympathetic as the show went on.

Making the choice to have Dan scold his new wife about breaking into Betty's house and invading her privacy -- "We don't do that type of thing" -- was an interesting choice that made him seem superior to crazy Betty.

by Anonymousreply 272June 13, 2021 5:44 PM

[quote]there was a lot of foreboding when they first go married -- like him telling her on their honeymoon that they didn't need a hotel maid because she could make the bed

That was the second or third episode. The first episode focused on Betty pissing off her first divorce attorney by being completely uncooperative and crashing her car into Dan's house.

by Anonymousreply 273June 13, 2021 5:48 PM

Linda Kolkena was a whore! She deserved it

by Anonymousreply 274June 13, 2021 5:51 PM

Pop

Six

Squish

Uh uh

La Jolla

Kolkena

by Anonymousreply 275June 13, 2021 5:57 PM

So she was utterly impossible and Dan and Linda did some unnecessary taunting. So they deserved to be shot in their sleep? How can anyone be OK with that? How? Also - how?

by Anonymousreply 276June 13, 2021 6:19 PM

Thank you so much for the link, R243. I got too drunk last night and feel asleep before I got to it. I'm hung over today and am about to dive into "Kate's Secret", which sounds like it might deserve it's own thread.

by Anonymousreply 277June 13, 2021 6:23 PM

I don’t know if it’s a matter of being okay with it but more understanding of why she did it. She was a mentally unstable woman at the end of her rope emotionally and financially being mocked and bullied by Dan and Linda.

by Anonymousreply 278June 13, 2021 6:28 PM

At least portrayed both by Betty and heavily suggested in this version, the court system was an old boys club with lawyers giving each other intel about how to fuck their wives over. The judge was also in on it, so there was no way that Betty could have received a truly fair trial. However, it also alludes that Dan was paying her above and beyond what she was due. If Betty bowed out gracefully, Dan probably would have compensated her so that she could maintain her lifestyle. The toying with money came as Betty's actions got crazier and crazier, at least as I understand it based on both this and MBB's version.

by Anonymousreply 279June 13, 2021 6:34 PM

Dan was not paying above and beyond. Far from it, plus he was burying her in court fees. He used the system to come down unfairly on her then taunted her. I'm a pretty chill guy but I can understand her anger and desperation. The court should have recompensated her fairly.

by Anonymousreply 280June 13, 2021 6:47 PM

Betty believed in marriage and taking one's vows seriously. Remember how she bailed on the remarriage/wedding of her friend's ex-husband? If Dan had treated her with respect and given her a fair amount of money out of the gate, she wouldn't have gone bonkers. And promoting some unskilled and uneducated ninny to paralegal just because he wanted to fuck her? What an insult to his long time secretary. Dan was a grade A POS and deserves to be 6 feet under.

by Anonymousreply 281June 13, 2021 6:56 PM

[quote]Dan was a grade A POS and deserves to be 6 feet under.

Only if he really did look like Christian Slater. But he didn't.

I bet he had a big dick. He should have lived.

by Anonymousreply 282June 13, 2021 7:11 PM

Betty did plenty of inexcusable things even before the murder. But Dan got away with a lot of shit that he shouldn't have. That stunt with moving her out of their house, abusing the Epstein credits, and his monetary "penalties" should have been slapped down hard by the judge. But, much like the recent media hysteria around "civility," because Dan had the power and money so he could do all these things under a veneer of calm and without cursing and screaming he got away with it and Betty was penalized for every little thing.

If she hadn't run off every single lawyer who tried to help her, she likely would have ended up with much more money. But the judge still had an obligation to protect her rights regardless and letting Dan get away with his sly but polite stunts was just wrong.

As far as the children, they were both pretty damn awful.

by Anonymousreply 283June 13, 2021 7:42 PM

Linda tried to be a flight attendant but was fired for getting drunk and screwing a male passenger in the plane's toilet. Also for using "bad language." Linda was indeed a slut.

by Anonymousreply 284June 13, 2021 8:59 PM

Happy summer, gays.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285June 13, 2021 9:09 PM

Who wants to write to Betty in prison and tell her she is a DL icon? Has anyone ever written to her? As a dumb gayling, I wrote to Michael Alig after Party Monster came out and he sent me a really nice letter back with all these drawings.

by Anonymousreply 286June 13, 2021 9:30 PM

Yeah, somebody should write her and tell that she's an icon on a website called Datalounge. I think she'd appreciate it. She loves supportive letters.

by Anonymousreply 287June 13, 2021 10:53 PM

[quote] This is what Betty said happened and I believe her:

You’re a dumbass. The woman is psychotic and deserves to die in prison. End of discussion.

by Anonymousreply 288June 13, 2021 11:16 PM

I adore Betty’s antics as much as the next gay but my dears, SHE KILLED TWO PEOPLE!

With that said, I am now going to return to “Kate’s secret,” which I had to stop halfway through yesterday. When I left off, Shari Belafonte was leading an aerobics class and Meredith had just gotten dizzy and hit the deck.

by Anonymousreply 289June 14, 2021 12:10 AM

R288, you are obviously an idiot. Betty was NEVER "psychotic." If she had been it would have been used as a defense at her trial. Who are you anyway, some asshole relative of Dan :"Fuckhead" Broderick or Linda "The Cunt" Kolkena?

by Anonymousreply 290June 14, 2021 12:16 AM

Wasn’t Howard Stern in a feud with Amanda Peet?

by Anonymousreply 291June 14, 2021 12:20 AM

"I adore Betty’s antics as much as the next gay but my dears, SHE KILLED TWO PEOPLE!"

Yeah, she killed two people alright. After being gaslighted by Dan for years and then tormented in various by both Dan and Linda for years. That needs to be taken into account. As for the killing itself, it was done in a panic. If she'd planned it and aimed the gun all of the bullets would have hit them instead of three. She went in with some crazy idea that she could finally get them to listen to her if she had a gun and "they moved, I moved, and it was over." Just like that.

by Anonymousreply 292June 14, 2021 12:25 AM

[quote]I adore Betty’s antics as much as the next gay but my dears, SHE KILLED TWO PEOPLE!

We know, dear. She's in jail, and not getting out at least until she's too frail to pick up a fork let alone a gun. We can safely talk and even joke about her antics precisely because she has and is paying the price for her crimes.

by Anonymousreply 293June 14, 2021 12:25 AM

[quote] Betty was NEVER "psychotic."

She drove an SUV through a house and then shot two people as they slept. People don’t generally do things like that unless they’re psychotic. You fat frau.

by Anonymousreply 294June 14, 2021 12:31 AM

[quote] That needs to be taken into account.

Bull fucking shit. The bitch should’ve taken the $11,000 a month she was being given and moved on with her life.

by Anonymousreply 295June 14, 2021 12:34 AM

The fact that you believe the crazy bitch’s cockamamie story about “just wanting to talk” tells me that you’re a fat frau whose husband is probably getting his ass eaten by a guy he met in the steam room as we speak.

by Anonymousreply 296June 14, 2021 12:36 AM

R293 I get it. What I don’t get is how she has a sincere fandom who think her imprisonment is an injustice.

by Anonymousreply 297June 14, 2021 12:44 AM

"I don't know what took her so long!"

by Anonymousreply 298June 14, 2021 12:47 AM

R298 That’s terrible.

by Anonymousreply 299June 14, 2021 12:50 AM

Rhett told Oprah that she’s pretty mellow and calm, but loses it if Dan and Linda are brought up which has been her downfall as far as getting parole.

The kids wanted to live Betty and you can hear Danny jr. pleading with her in the recorded calls to stop cussing and acting crazy so they can live with her again. Dan didn’t want the kids and the younger boys showed signs of neglect. Dan wrote Lee out of his will because she wanted to stay with her mom, she was a teenager at the time. Rhett said Dan’s family treated him like shit because he wanted to have a relationship with his mother.

Kim got screwed a few years ago by a woman she considered collaborating on a book on and did a few interviews with. The two fell out and the woman published a book with Kim being listed as the co author. Kim’s married last name is Piggins, even with the notoriety of the Broderick case, I think I would’ve kept my maiden name.

by Anonymousreply 300June 14, 2021 1:14 AM

R294,R295 and R296 are the same retard. By the way retard, Betty was thoroughly examined psychologically and was NEVER diagnosed as "psychotic. Actually, you sound like the psychotic. A psychotic retard.

by Anonymousreply 301June 14, 2021 1:14 AM

Dan and Linda have been worm food since 1989. Betty is still alive and kicking. I'd say she won.

by Anonymousreply 302June 14, 2021 1:16 AM

Not a legal expert, but couldn’t Betty have requested the divorce proceedings to be moved to another county since Dan was so ensconced with the legal community in San Diego?

by Anonymousreply 303June 14, 2021 1:17 AM

Kim and Dan Jr. on Oprah, around the same time Oprah interviewed Betty. Those poor kids saw some shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304June 14, 2021 1:18 AM

[quote] Actually, you sound like the psychotic. A psychotic retard.

lololol You’re the psychotic one, you crazy frau, defending this nut job killer. Any psychological exam that resulted in Betty getting a clean bill of mental health is clearly flawed. You can keep flapping your pussy lips about how she’s totally sane, but nobody with a lick of sense will listen to a word you say.

by Anonymousreply 305June 14, 2021 2:44 AM

[quote] Rhett said Dan’s family treated him like shit because he wanted to have a relationship with his mother.

Rhett is ugly. Dan, Jr. inherited Daddy’s looks.

by Anonymousreply 306June 14, 2021 2:45 AM

R305 is TRIGGERED! Also a retarded psycho. By the way, retard psycho, Betty never got "a clean bill of mental health." She was just never diagnosed a psychotic. You don't know much about her, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 307June 14, 2021 2:48 AM

I know all I need to know about her.

by Anonymousreply 308June 14, 2021 2:49 AM

"Rhett is ugly. Dan, Jr. inherited Daddy’s looks."

Rhett Broderick is NOT ugly. And Dan Jr. didn't "inherit" any looks from Dan. He doesn't look much like him at all. Kim Broderick looks more like her father than any of the others. And Dan wasn't much to look at before he got his needle nose cropped.

by Anonymousreply 309June 14, 2021 2:50 AM

Rhett is most assuredly ugly. Dan, Jr. is hot. So was his father. If Dan, Sr. was alive, I’d let them spit roast me without a second thought.

by Anonymousreply 310June 14, 2021 2:56 AM

Rhett looks like Dan pre plastic surgery. You can see some of bettys features in Dan jr.

by Anonymousreply 311June 14, 2021 2:58 AM

[quote] You can see some of bettys features in Dan jr.

You shut your filthy mouth.

by Anonymousreply 312June 14, 2021 3:03 AM

What number wife would Dan be on if he'd lived? #4? #5?

How long would Linda have lasted? '95? '99?

by Anonymousreply 313June 14, 2021 3:15 AM

He has bettys blue eyes r312.

I think had Dan lived the current Mrs. Broderick would’ve been born in the 80’s.

Does anyone know where to find bettys answering machine messages and recorded phone calls. I couldn’t find them on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 314June 14, 2021 3:19 AM

R313, I predicted back in R109 that Dan would be on wife number four by now. I was a bit more optimistic than you that Linda would have lasted until around 2000.

R314 - the A&E documentary linked below has some of them (with bleeps). The "fuckhead and the cunt" messages are at the 12-minute mark.

I've heard one message where she tells Linda through the machine that she's supposed to fuck Dan at home and answer the phone at the office. I'll try to find it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315June 14, 2021 3:26 AM

A hypothetical current Mrs Broderick MIGHT be old enough to rent a car

by Anonymousreply 316June 14, 2021 3:41 AM

What might have happened if Dan turned to Linda before their wedding and said "You know, I'm going to be fair to Betty and give her the bulk of the estate to make up for everything. Sure, things will be tight for a while but I suppose it's only fair that I struggle now while she enjoys the wealth she helped me create. You don't mind, right?"

by Anonymousreply 317June 14, 2021 3:46 AM

What's happening for Betty in prison? She's very quiet.

by Anonymousreply 318June 14, 2021 3:50 AM

What's happening for Betty in prison? Well, at the end of Bella Stumbo's book Betty has been assigned janitorial duties, cleaning cells and toilets. She said "Now I'm a housewife again. The other girls got to work, I get up and have my coffee and chocolate, and then I clean house all day. Just like before. It's perfect for me." Does she still do that? Who knows. Anyway, she shares a room with five other women and all her worldly possession are kept in a small locker. Some "country club" as Oprah Winfrey said the prison was said to be, on the show where she interviewed Betty.

In recent years Betty Broderick has had health problems. She's in her seventies now, an old lady. She probably doesn't have the energy to mouth off like she used to.

by Anonymousreply 319June 14, 2021 4:06 AM

A girlfriend of mine growing up has a rich father. He slept with one of her friends when we were 19 and her current stepmother is 8 years younger than we are. That was Dan's future.

by Anonymousreply 320June 14, 2021 4:15 AM

R289 - I just watched "Kate's Secret" thanks the MBB rabbit hole this thread sent me down and then by the very kind linking of the film! This is DL mandatory viewing and free on YouTube. I had no idea bulimia was so taboo in the 80's!!!

MBB shoving cookies in her mouth at like this quaint Malibu supermarket and then chugging milk straight out of the carton in the store like she was Patsy Stone in the liquor aisle was next level. Couldn't she have just bought the food like every other bulimic and eaten in her closet at home? The soundtrack was Jaws-esque every time she starts to binge. The group family therapy scene! OK, I won't ruin the fun for everyone else! Like Betty, Kate is married to another questionable lawyer which triggers her very aggressive binging. So good!!!!!

Back to Betty!

by Anonymousreply 321June 14, 2021 4:28 AM

R321 I watched it too! Was that Mackenzie Phillips I spotted in a cameo?

by Anonymousreply 322June 14, 2021 4:55 AM

Yes!!!!! McKenzie Phillips did have a small cameo, but very minimal lines and that girl who always has an eating disorder in everything she is in (Down & Out in BH), Tracy Nelson.

by Anonymousreply 323June 14, 2021 6:06 AM

The old fraufish here are so jealous of young women with tight pussies. Dan got tired of fucking his fat, old wife and her gaping meat wallet. Big fucking deal. Again, take the $11,000 a month and move on.

by Anonymousreply 324June 14, 2021 9:57 AM

[quote] MBB shoving cookies in her mouth at like this quaint Malibu supermarket and then chugging milk straight out of the carton in the store like she was Patsy Stone in the liquor aisle was next level. Couldn't she have just bought the food like every other bulimic and eaten in her closet at home?

Not dramatic enough. If 3/4 of your screenplay is your star gorging herself then throwing up, you need to find new ways for her to do it.

You could always retro-explain it as she doesn't want her husband to discover how much money she's spending on cookies and cake that somehow never make it to the kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 325June 14, 2021 12:23 PM

Watching in the background as I work. Plays much better in a binge. Week to week, I wouldn't have come back.

by Anonymousreply 326June 14, 2021 10:26 PM

So are they going to do a third "marriage from Hell" story and still call it Dirty John? Which one do you think they should do?

by Anonymousreply 327June 14, 2021 10:57 PM

I have an idea, R327.

by Anonymousreply 328June 14, 2021 11:45 PM

I'm r265, and even I don't believe Betty's ridiculous "I went there to talk and/or kill myself" claptrap!

She went in the dark of night to threaten, IMO, to coerce, to hold the life or death power over Dan as she perceived his behavior towards her. To get him to knock it the hell off!

But then Betty saw them. In bed.

I can believe that she fired the gun impulsively when one of the victims awoke.

by Anonymousreply 329June 15, 2021 1:46 AM

The show doesn't even show the shooting. It was...fine, but the MBB version is superior in every single way.

by Anonymousreply 330June 15, 2021 1:48 AM

R329 here.

Oh, wait. I guess I do allow room for the "talk" idea. Hmmm....

Well, talk not in the sense of discuss but in the sense of you'll do what I say. Never, though, suicide.

by Anonymousreply 331June 15, 2021 1:49 AM

I liked the eerie music that accompanied the scene in the MBB version where she slowly enters the house, then goes up the stairs and into the room where Dan and his trophy wife bride lay in bed. I thought the music was a perfect reflection of what was going on in her mind at the time, that dark, foreboding music.

by Anonymousreply 332June 15, 2021 4:03 AM

I’m in episode 6 right now and Amanda Peet is doing an incredible job, IMO. She doesn’t look like Betty but her scene at the end of the settlement (courtroom/she repped herself and owed Dan $787k, etc.) was just heartbreaking. I’ve always liked her, actually.

by Anonymousreply 333June 16, 2021 8:40 PM

I finished the series last week and thought Amanda did a great job. Christian played his usual slimy self - no stretch at all.

by Anonymousreply 334June 16, 2021 8:53 PM

I would have given her the chair.

by Anonymousreply 335June 16, 2021 9:03 PM

If Dan and Linda were alive today, they'd be hosting fundraisers for Dump. Thank you, Betty!

by Anonymousreply 336June 16, 2021 9:16 PM

That shot of Betty having a vision of Dan and Linda sitting across from her in her cell was a complete ripoff of the Chris Watts movie!

by Anonymousreply 337June 16, 2021 9:19 PM

I gave up at the beginning of episode 8. I slogged through the first half hung over one day and then was forcing myself through it. I found myself scrolling on my phone or taking little naps. This was background noise TV or nap tv where you can still get the gist with your eyes closed. I have a vision of Betty and Amanda Peet was not it. They didn't bother with her hair, her weight or even go full in on her wardrobe. She was fine - meh! I think I'm too familiar with the case for this to be fun, especially after MBB.

by Anonymousreply 338June 17, 2021 6:26 AM

For anyone interested, the classic “a woman scorned” starring the one and only MBB is free on Amazon Prime right now. I’m having a rewatch. Better than “Citizen Kane” for me.

by Anonymousreply 339June 26, 2021 1:49 AM

NONE of the BB movies showed her extreme physical deterioration after Dan left her. This is an excerpt from "Until The Twelfth of Never", where Bella Stumbo describes her physical appearance:

"At last she had become too disgusting, too pathetic to bear, but only she could not see it. She grew fatter, messier, uglier each day, until finally she could wear nothing but sweat suits. Her hair was yellow straw, jerked back in a rubber band, a bristling ponytail, accentuating her pasty, multiple chins. She looked like a frowsy blimp, like some low class Twinkies freak from a cheap trailer park; and her old friends, remembering how lovely, how willowy, how elegant she had once been, flinched and turned their own pretty, smooth faces away. How could she let herself go like that they whispered among themselves, making mental notes to double their time at the gym next week."

by Anonymousreply 340June 26, 2021 4:32 AM

r233 Bradley looks gay there

by Anonymousreply 341June 26, 2021 5:18 AM

That’s true, R340. At the start, MBB is shown looking highly groomed in that 80s fashion. Later her only concession is sweats or mom jeans, but she still looks ok. Amanda was way too thin and pinched, and her hair was all wrong.

by Anonymousreply 342June 26, 2021 8:08 AM

You know what I realized about the first TV movie? It contains the immortal line "I will not be ignored, Dan!" Delivered by MBB as Betty, to Dan's answering machine. A little wink to Fatal Attraction?

by Anonymousreply 343June 29, 2021 1:15 AM

I caught that too, R343, the first time I watched it. It made me wonder if the real Dan and Linda ever watched [italic]Fatal Attraction[/italic], and if so, if they laughed at Glenn Close's iconic line because it reminded them of Betty.

by Anonymousreply 344July 2, 2021 12:47 AM

Just looking at pictures of Dan and Linda would make ANYBODY want to kill them. They both looked immensely chuffed to be in possession of each other. Dan always has a shit eating grin or a smirk on his face that screams "Look at what I've got; nice piece of ass, huh?" And Linda ALWAYS has that enormous grin on her face with her huge teeth filling up half her face. I've noticed that she was always clutching Dan in photos, not unlike the way Meghan Markle clutches dimwit Harry. Dan and Linda seemed absolutely insufferable. But they were a rich couple, so their company was sought after. It was the 80s; that was all that matter: money.

by Anonymousreply 345July 2, 2021 3:58 AM

I’ve never seen murder victims trashed the way Dan and Linda have been. For smiling in photos? Wtf? I’m a big fan of Betty’s other crazy antics, mind you, but she shot two people in their sleep!

by Anonymousreply 346July 2, 2021 4:58 AM

Dan was an ass who didn't treat Linda as an equal, she should have stuck with the hot boyfriend she cheated on him with. Linda was no innocent though either, they both poked the tiger.

by Anonymousreply 347July 2, 2021 12:53 PM

Dan and Linda deserved to be trashed. They were both selfish, self absorbed egoists who put their own wants above all else, and that included the Broderick children. They did things to anger Betty deliberately; Linda's voice on Dan's answering machine before they were married, Linda notarizing legal papers sent to Betty by Dan (legal papers signed by your husband's mistress?), etc. Betty said she got anonymous mailings that consisted of ads for weight loss products and wrinkle cream; I think she was telling the truth about that. And Dan's proposal to Linda; instead of asking her to marry him in private he did it in the most public way he could think of, getting down on one knee in a bar filled with his drunken buddies. It was so public it got written up in a gossip column. It was like he did that deliberately to rub Betty's face in it. Dan and Linda were murder victims, sure. But they were also really awful.

by Anonymousreply 348July 2, 2021 3:44 PM

R348 Not a single one of those petty acts excuses what Betty did. Any normal, mature, basically well-adjusted adult copes with such things, painful as they may be.

by Anonymousreply 349July 2, 2021 3:55 PM

Can you Harry/Meghan assholes keep them out of threads were they don't belong, R345? Seriously-seek some fucking help.

by Anonymousreply 350July 2, 2021 4:30 PM

That was only so a deranged Harry/Meghan dipshit could work them into the thread, R346.

by Anonymousreply 351July 2, 2021 4:32 PM

R350, if a random comment about Harry/Meghan upsets you so much then it is you who seriously needs to get some fucking help and SOON.

And the same goes for for the twat at R351. You need help too. You both need it SO much.

by Anonymousreply 352July 2, 2021 8:39 PM

Hey, all you peeps saying Betty should have known better, and Dan and Linda didn't deserve what happened. Pay attention to what went down. When you are stupid and petty enough to keep poking that grizzly over and over and over and over with a sharp stick then you fucking get what is coming to you.

by Anonymousreply 353July 3, 2021 8:43 PM

R353 oh please

by Anonymousreply 354July 3, 2021 9:00 PM

It was obviously going to end with SOMEONE dead. Dan just expected she'd commit suicide, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 355July 4, 2021 1:15 AM

R355 I doubt it. She was a big tough Italian broad at heart, not the type.

by Anonymousreply 356July 4, 2021 1:23 AM

Dan (and Linda) knew Betty was mentally going off the deep end and they enjoyed it and tried to break her. It backfired on them.

by Anonymousreply 357July 4, 2021 3:34 AM

R357 Bingo

by Anonymousreply 358July 4, 2021 7:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!