Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Coronavirus Freakout 42: Cruel Summer

Hot summer streets

And the pavements are burning

I sit around

Posting to DataLounge

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 595June 19, 2020 5:22 PM

Previous thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 3, 2020 1:17 AM

People are finally putting the puzzle pieces together.

"“The concept that’s emerging is that this is not a respiratory illness alone, this is a respiratory illness to start with, but it is actually a vascular illness that kills people through its involvement of the vasculature,” says Mehra."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 3, 2020 1:21 AM

According to a top Italian doctor, the virus has weakened and it gone from Italy. If that's true, then I'm going to Italy to eat tons of fresh pasta and gelato. I'm dying to go to the Amalfi Coast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 3, 2020 1:59 AM

I never thought I'd miss the Corona Counter on the side of CNN's screen. It appears for like 5 minutes since last Monday.

by Anonymousreply 4June 3, 2020 3:07 AM

I hate to ask but what are the counts now?

What stares are still rising?

by Anonymousreply 5June 3, 2020 3:16 AM

States

by Anonymousreply 6June 3, 2020 3:17 AM

Any state with lots of meat packing plants

by Anonymousreply 7June 3, 2020 3:23 AM

Good title, OP

by Anonymousreply 8June 3, 2020 3:45 AM

thanks for this thread.

by Anonymousreply 9June 3, 2020 5:38 AM

Looks we're going to hit 2 million soon.

by Anonymousreply 10June 3, 2020 5:46 AM

Guardian- A study of blood donors in the Netherlands has found that around 5.5% of them have developed antibodies against the new coronavirus, blood donation firm Sanquin said today. The study, conducted among 7,000 donors between May 10 and 20, gives an indication of what percentage of the Dutch population may have already had the disease. A similar study in April showed antibodies in 3% of Dutch blood donors. “This shows that over 90% of our donors have still not been in touch with the virus, assuming almost all people who have been infected develop antibodies,” Sanquin’s head researcher, Hans Zaaijer, told Dutch public broadcaster NOS. “We are miles away from a scenario of herd immunity.”

by Anonymousreply 11June 3, 2020 8:16 AM

[quote]I'm going to Italy to eat tons of fresh pasta and gelato. I'm dying to go to the Amalfi Coast.

After all that, do you think you'll fit?

by Anonymousreply 12June 3, 2020 9:28 AM

There seems to be an interesting connection about coronavirus not affecting populations at very high altitude.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 3, 2020 9:33 AM

*Not affecting them as much as counterparts at lower elevations.

by Anonymousreply 14June 3, 2020 9:36 AM

Yesterday, New Zealand announced an 11th straight day of no new Covid-19 cases. Only one person in New Zealand is still recovering from Covid-19 and they are not being treated in hospital. Twenty two people have died.

by Anonymousreply 15June 3, 2020 12:24 PM

Covid is so May.

by Anonymousreply 16June 3, 2020 1:00 PM

The protests are a phase 101 of re-opening coming way too early. Stock up on the essentials now just in case.

by Anonymousreply 17June 3, 2020 1:12 PM

[quote]Covid is so May.

It is astonishing how quickly the media pivoted from 24/7 covid-19 coverage to 24/7 protest/riot coverage. I assume the pendulum will swing back in two weeks or so.

by Anonymousreply 18June 3, 2020 1:12 PM

Oh dear. Doesn't sound like Sweden is winning after all........

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 3, 2020 1:26 PM

CNBC: White House health advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci said he worries about the “durability” of a potential coronavirus vaccine, saying there’s a chance it may not provide long-term immunity.

If Covid-19 acts like other coronaviruses, “it likely isn’t going to be a long duration of immunity,” Fauci said during an interview Tuesday evening with JAMA.

“When you look at the history of coronaviruses, the common coronaviruses that cause the common cold, the reports in the literature are that the durability of immunity that’s protective ranges from three to six months to almost always less than a year,” he said. “That’s not a lot of durability and protection.”

by Anonymousreply 20June 3, 2020 1:32 PM

So yearly vaccines much like the flu

by Anonymousreply 21June 3, 2020 1:35 PM

Sure r21. Or that yearly vaccine we get for the common cold.

by Anonymousreply 22June 3, 2020 1:37 PM

[quote]Doesn't sound like Sweden is winning after all........

Indeed: The number of Covid-19 deaths per capita in Sweden was the highest in the world in a rolling seven-day average to June 2nd. The country’s rate of 5.29 deaths per million inhabitants a day was well above the UK’s 4.48.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 3, 2020 1:37 PM

Black people with HIV were significantly more likely to be admitted to a major London hospital with COVID-19 than other people with HIV, while in Madrid, researchers found that COVID-19 was diagnosed more often in people with HIV who had underlying conditions than others with HIV.

The findings, published in Clinical Infectious Diseases and Lancet HIV, are the first from studies looking at risk factors for COVID-19 within cohorts of people living with HIV. They provide the first comparisons of people living with HIV who have - or have not - needed treatment for COVID-19.

The London study found that people with lower CD4 counts were more likely to be admitted to hospital with COVID-19 but the Spanish study did not find such a relationship.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 3, 2020 1:55 PM

I’ll put this random anecdote here. I used to always get a cold after a long flight. A flight attendant told me what she did to eliminate that. Coat the inside and around the front of the nose with either Vick’s Vapor Rub or Neosporin. No more sickness. I do that now when out. I still wear a mask.

by Anonymousreply 25June 3, 2020 2:31 PM

Aren't those things only meant to be used externally?

by Anonymousreply 26June 3, 2020 2:36 PM

R20 Good ol' Dr. Fauci, always telling us things that we figured out months ago.

by Anonymousreply 27June 3, 2020 2:48 PM

very good tip R25, thank you!

by Anonymousreply 28June 3, 2020 2:50 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 3, 2020 2:55 PM

R29 see R2

by Anonymousreply 30June 3, 2020 2:56 PM

[quote]Coat the inside and around the front of the nose with either Vick’s Vapor Rub

Added benefit: the smell of Vick's will keep people from getting too close to you!

by Anonymousreply 31June 3, 2020 3:05 PM

No lives matter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 3, 2020 3:05 PM

This is a bizarre story from The Guardian:

The World Health Organization and a number of national governments have changed their Covid-19 policies and treatments on the basis of flawed data from a little-known US healthcare analytics company, also calling into question the integrity of key studies published in some of the world’s most prestigious medical journals.

A Guardian investigation can reveal the US-based company Surgisphere, whose handful of employees appear to include a science fiction writer and an adult-content model, has provided data for multiple studies on Covid-19 co-authored by its chief executive, but has so far failed to adequately explain its data or methodology.

Data it claims to have legitimately obtained from more than a thousand hospitals worldwide formed the basis of scientific articles that have led to changes in Covid-19 treatment policies in Latin American countries. It was also behind a decision by the WHO and research institutes around the world to halt trials of the controversial drug hydroxychloroquine.

Two of the world’s leading medical journals – the Lancet and the New England Journal of Medicine – published studies based on Surgisphere data. The studies were co-authored by the firm’s chief executive, Sapan Desai.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 3, 2020 3:09 PM

R16 Apparently. When I went to a store yesterday, half the people weren’t wearing masks, including employees. Nobody seems worried anymore.

by Anonymousreply 34June 3, 2020 4:13 PM

r34, where do you live? In Portland, OR the majority of the people I see are wearing masks.

by Anonymousreply 35June 3, 2020 4:18 PM

My girl at CVS - I do love her - was wearing a crocheted mask! - WTF.

by Anonymousreply 36June 3, 2020 4:26 PM

CA-RONNNA-VAAAAA-RUSSSSSS!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 37June 3, 2020 4:27 PM

[quote]Covid is so May.

It's funny how suddenly social distancing is not an issue anymore. CNN and MSNBC spent so much time scolding people, but with the protests and riots it's not even mentioned anymore.

by Anonymousreply 38June 3, 2020 4:35 PM

R38 the protests, while morally right, are dry tinder to the virus. The country is about to go up in flames.

by Anonymousreply 39June 3, 2020 4:39 PM

CNBC: The World Health Organization is resuming its coronavirus trial on malaria drug hydroxychloroquine after examining safety concerns.

The Data Safety Monitoring Board decided there was no reason to discontinue the international trial after reviewing available data on the drug, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said during a press conference Wednesday at the agency’s Geneva headquarters.

On May 25, WHO announced it had temporarily suspended its trial of the drug over safety concerns. The announcement came days after a study published in medical journal The Lancet found that hospitalized Covid-19 patients treated with hydroxychloroquine had a higher risk of death than those who didn’t take it. That study is now being reexamined (see R33).

by Anonymousreply 40June 3, 2020 4:42 PM

USA Today:

Trump bans flights from China to U.S. amid tensions over coronavirus, Hong Kong

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 3, 2020 6:21 PM

A lot of the fear and hysteria over Coronavirus was whipped up by the media. Now, it has found a new thing (George Floyd protests) to exploit.

by Anonymousreply 42June 3, 2020 7:52 PM

Where is the Corona Poll Troll?

by Anonymousreply 43June 3, 2020 8:06 PM

Have a nice day

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 3, 2020 8:17 PM

Yes! I miss the corona poll troll

by Anonymousreply 45June 3, 2020 9:00 PM

CNN:

ER visits for non-Covid emergencies have dropped 42% during the pandemic, CDC says

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 3, 2020 9:08 PM

Big study of "asymptomatic" (but are they really??) patients.

[quote] The finding that 54% of the 76 asymptomatic persons on the Diamond Princess who were examined by computed tomography appeared to have significant subclinical abnormalities in their lungs is disturbing. If confirmed, this finding suggests that absence of symptoms might not necessarily mean the absence of harm. The subclinical nature of the finding raises the possibility that SARS-CoV-2 infection causes subtle deficits in lung function that might not be immediately apparent."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 3, 2020 9:23 PM

Counties in Every State With the Highest Number of COVID-19 Cases

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 3, 2020 9:25 PM

Hydroxychloroquine, a drug promoted by Trump, failed to prevent healthy people from getting covid-19 in trial

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 3, 2020 9:35 PM

READ 'EM & WEEP, BOYS . . . . . . . .

⏳ CORONA TIME ~ JUNE 3 ~ 5:45 PM EST

🥚 NATIONAL EGG DAY

🏃 GLOBAL RUNNING DAY

🌎 GLOBAL

CASES: 6,531,575

DEATHS: 385,387

CRITICAL: 54,186

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 1,898,158

DEATHS: 108,986

CRITICAL: 16,921

🚫 NO PLAYING OUTSIDE AFTER DARK !

by Anonymousreply 50June 3, 2020 9:48 PM

Social distancing in NYC

Question: if my barber is wearing a mask, is it somehow more dangerous than this?

I really need a haircut.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 3, 2020 10:04 PM

Thanks CPT!🙂

by Anonymousreply 52June 3, 2020 10:07 PM

This cute guy who was in a boy band I’ve never heard of in 1999-2002 died yesterday of covid. He was 34 years old. Chris Truesdale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 3, 2020 10:28 PM

I remember Dream Street. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 54June 3, 2020 10:33 PM

Interesting to see the shift on Nextdoor. In the old days (like 2 weeks ago) people were scolding people relentlessly for not staying in the house, not social distancing, or not wearing masks. To commit these violations was akin to murdering thousands of people. Now there are NO posts about COVID. It's all about civil rights protests. And some are ranting that if you didn't attend the protest, it must mean you support murder by the police.

There are underlying valid points, but sometimes things get overplayed to the point the messages get lost when people who are willing to listen get exhausted by messaging that sometimes turns into hyperbole.

by Anonymousreply 55June 3, 2020 10:36 PM

The naked man was just appointed by Trump to the Coronavirus Task Force. Hear hear

by Anonymousreply 56June 3, 2020 11:22 PM

Thanks for the stats. So we have gone up almost 10% in deaths sins Memorial Day? Is this being relayed by media or public health officials?

by Anonymousreply 57June 3, 2020 11:28 PM

📊 STATS courtesy of Worldometer.com

by Anonymousreply 58June 3, 2020 11:39 PM

r55, as opposed to people like you who defended the "liberate" assholes but demonize other protesters...

by Anonymousreply 59June 3, 2020 11:42 PM

I don't even know what that sentence meant R59. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 60June 3, 2020 11:50 PM

Authors of an April study published in the Annals of Medicine claimed that surgical and cotton masks do not effectively contain viral droplets containing SARS-CoV-2.

Today, the authors retracted that article (under pressure from their editors) and acknowledged that the study's findings are actually "uninterpretable."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61June 3, 2020 11:51 PM

r60, maybe you should learn how to read. And stop listening to Trump.

by Anonymousreply 62June 4, 2020 12:20 AM

Huh? Trump is an idiot and nothing he says has any value to me. No idea WTF you're talking about or what your word salad means, but do have a nice day R62

by Anonymousreply 63June 4, 2020 12:22 AM

🤔 Nobody knows nothin' bout the Corona.

by Anonymousreply 64June 4, 2020 12:24 AM

When is the supposed plateau supposed to happen?

by Anonymousreply 65June 4, 2020 12:27 AM

It's becoming absurd to enforce strict social distancing while simultanously allowing thousands of people to march around cities chanting for hours. Are we supposed to pretend that the messages aren't cancelling each other out.

by Anonymousreply 66June 4, 2020 12:30 AM

Some of the graphs on Woldometer give a visual. This is the source used by our beloved Corona Poll Troll.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67June 4, 2020 12:31 AM

I agree that all their projections are off now due to protests. Plus there has been a giant shift since Memorial Day of people not following masks or social distancing guidance

by Anonymousreply 68June 4, 2020 12:33 AM

Yeah. In a few days we'll be coming up on two weeks from the holiday.

by Anonymousreply 69June 4, 2020 12:44 AM

☹️ I don't think we'll see a plateau anytime soon. Between summer holiday gatherings and active protests across the nation, we're undoubtedly going to see a massive spike in numbers. Round two, expected in September, will most likely peak in August. People have become far too careless about taking necessary safety precautions, and the rest of us will suffer for their actions.

by Anonymousreply 70June 4, 2020 12:59 AM

R65, I'd say between June15th and June 20th. 2-3 weeks post states opening up/Memorial Day/Protests. I expect Missouri to spike sooner since that one guy tested positive already.

by Anonymousreply 71June 4, 2020 1:04 AM

I expect sudden spikes - people are stressed out and it will be a hot ugly summer

by Anonymousreply 72June 4, 2020 1:13 AM

[quote]My girl at CVS - I do love her - was wearing a crocheted mask! - WTF.

Some of those have flesh colored fabric behind the crochet. Still doesn't seem very effective to me.

by Anonymousreply 73June 4, 2020 1:27 AM

Social distancing was so two weeks ago.

What happened to the freaking out about crowds? I thought breaking the rules was a deplorables thing.

NYC Saturday, May 30, 2020:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74June 4, 2020 1:55 AM

NYC CV numbers were going down.... Not anymore (give it 2 weeks), but they felt it was worth it.

by Anonymousreply 75June 4, 2020 1:58 AM

R72, me as well. I can't see it going any other way. But I apologize in advance for telling people to break quarantine to vote.

by Anonymousreply 76June 4, 2020 2:07 AM

Voting by mail!

by Anonymousreply 77June 4, 2020 2:10 AM

[quote]Some of those have flesh colored fabric behind the crochet. Still doesn't seem very effective to me.

If they have cloth, they are no different than any other cloth mask. And, most of the crocheted ones have filters because, ya know, people do realize that crocheting leaves big holes. If they are smart enough to wear a mask, they're probably smart enough to know that. It's the dumb fucks without masks or masks around their necks that you have to worry about.

by Anonymousreply 78June 4, 2020 2:17 AM

R65 Daily covid deaths have been trending down for weeks now. Daily new cases too although that’s a meaningless number since many of them are asymptomatic or have mild symptoms. Daily covid hospitalizations would be helpful but Worldometer doesn’t have those.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79June 4, 2020 2:26 AM

Does anyone remember the people who posted (several threads ago) their recommendations on a course of self-treatment that included Pepcid or an equivalent and a few other OTC drugs? I wrote the information down but can't find it. I've also spend a lot of time tonight searching through the threads for this info, but haven't found it yet. Anything you can share would be greatly appreciated. My brother-in-law was just diagnosed with the virus. TIA.

by Anonymousreply 80June 4, 2020 2:32 AM

I wonder how many people had such mild symptoms that they never even knew they had Corona. Just imagine those numbers !

by Anonymousreply 81June 4, 2020 2:39 AM

I am 98% sure I had it in late February but was told I had the flu. They really still know very little. Good luck

by Anonymousreply 82June 4, 2020 2:41 AM

[quote]If they have cloth, they are no different than any other cloth mask.

Except that most cloth masks are several layers but what I've seen behind the crocheted masks is just 1 layer. I haven't seen any with enough layers to make a filter pocket, but let's hope most have them.

by Anonymousreply 83June 4, 2020 2:43 AM

It's benadryl pepcid and zantac. Good luck finding the last 2.

by Anonymousreply 84June 4, 2020 2:44 AM

Thanks, R82

by Anonymousreply 85June 4, 2020 2:46 AM

Sorry, I meant R84.

by Anonymousreply 86June 4, 2020 2:47 AM

Now the right is pandering to the anti-vax crowd

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87June 4, 2020 3:02 AM

R85, Pepcid is available on Amazon. Zantac is unavailable because it's been recalled (something to do with additive contamination and cancer).

by Anonymousreply 88June 4, 2020 3:32 AM

[quote]I wonder how many people had such mild symptoms that they never even knew they had Corona. Just imagine those numbers !

The number of people in some studies so far that tested for antibodies in donated blood showed the number to be about 5%. Not exactly a big percentage.

by Anonymousreply 89June 4, 2020 4:18 AM

R66 Brilliant post.

by Anonymousreply 90June 4, 2020 4:20 AM

[quote]When is the supposed plateau supposed to happen?

At the EXACT same second that Trump finally pivots.

by Anonymousreply 91June 4, 2020 9:58 AM

R80 I think it was thread 1. Also I think it was Benadryl, an itidine reflux med (so Pepcid as said above) and an -Azole reflux med (like Prilosec)

But I could be wrong and it is probably bad advice. So he should follow a doctor’s guidance.

by Anonymousreply 92June 4, 2020 10:00 AM

Way back in the beginning, I think it was on the Freakout thread #5, someone was posting about the disease and signed their posts as "Geneticist". They appeared to have very detailed information long before much was known about the SARS-CoV-2 virus. "Geneticist" recommended that if you experience a cytokine storm, which is the most damaging aspect of COVID-19 infection and usually occurs two or three weeks after showing symptoms, then you should immediately chew on some nicotine gum (which has been shown to be a cytokine inhibitor) and take 10g of l-arginine (subsequently shown in tests to be beneficial in suppressing SARS-CoV-2 replication) and go straight to a hospital to demand an injection of Kineret, a cortico-steroid used to treat rheumatoid arthritis and which suppresses the AL1 cytokine receptor. "Geneticist" said this would calm the cytokine storm and prevent your immune system attacking your organs and killing you.

I have no idea if Kineret is actually a useful treatment for COVID-19 (it was one of the compounds being studied but I haven't seen any results announced about it yet), but it appears "Geneticist" was on the money when it came to the effects of nicotine and l-arginine in relation to COVID-19. The most significant thing, though, is the fact that they appeared to know that it was the cytokine storm that was causing all the damage in this disease. This was way back in early March (or even February) and most clinicians had no idea that this was even a factor in the disease pathology. Back then, doctors thought that COVID -19 was simply a kind of pneumonia. We now know that the disease is far more complicated, and the cytokine storm is mostly what causes all the deaths.

I still wonder who "Geneticist" was - and why they suddenly stopped posting.

by Anonymousreply 93June 4, 2020 11:09 AM

R80 a few weeks back I actually reread all those threads and found that post to save just in case here it is: ************* DL Scientists, Your opinions please. know things... this is not Uncle intel,... I work in Biohazard remediation and mitigation for a living. I specialize in disaster sites where a large number of people have passed and ensuring the site is safe for people to enter. (Think Hurricane Katrina) Places where there are cadavers, many; rotten, festering, wanting to harm others. Places that have been underwater for so long that the very walls are lined from end to end with toxic mold. So I have a inside line to people and things I cannot elaborate on The Corona-virus is tearing it's way across the world, and it is truly much worse than "they" are letting on. Is a big deal and I am afraid it may become a MUCH bigger deal. You need to go to the store and buy one of these: Pepcid, Tagamet, Adix, or Zantac. Buy enough for you, xxxxx, xxx, and whoever you want to save, enough last 2 weeks. This covers your H2 antagonist drug. Buy enough Prilosec, Prevacid. or Nexium to do the same as above. This covers the PPI Drugs. (Proton Pump Inhibitors) Lastly, I'd buy a big ass bottle of benadryl or generic benadry. aka... diphenhydramine. This covers your need for a H1 antagonist. You know what benadryl does. But the H2 drugs work in the same way except on different histamines. The PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitor) stops monocytes from going into overdrive. (Monocytes = White Blood Cells) The Coronavirus hits in a similar way to the flu. As it is a "Novel Virus" meaning the body has never seen anything like this... the body goes nuts, to the point that your own immune system kills you in something called a Cytokine Storm. This is very similar to a "Peanut Allergy", in that it's the bodies response that damages the person not the peanuts. When to start this "therapy"? No need to take anything in advance. But at the first sign of "flu like symptoms" I'd start therapy. Take it as directed on the box. You'll read and hear about it on the news. Obviously! What makes this virus "The Perfect Storm" is that it: 1. Has up to a 14 day incubation period. 2. The infected start shedding the virus in as little as 5 days after exposure. 3. Is as adaptable as the common cold. Meaning that about after each 3rd generation, the virus mutates into something that would require a completely different vaccination. We could literally ALL have this virus and not know it. I'm not freaking out, I'm not making a big deal out of nothing. You can google everything I've brought up. Now for the conspiracy theory portion of my presentation. Whether you know it or not. There have been SEVERAL recalls of various anti-acid drugs in the past few months. (Once again, you can research this) Maybe we knew this was coming and we have been stockpiling. Yes, hospitals will give you prevacid and pepcid if you have the Corona-virus. Just sayin'. —Anonymous

by Anonymousreply 94June 4, 2020 11:17 AM

BBC-New mortality data from Russia’s second-largest city has reignited questions about whether the country’s official tally has discounted thousands of deaths tied to the coronavirus outbreak. St Petersburg issued 1,552 more death certificates this May than in the previous year, a nearly 32% rise indicating that hundreds of deaths tied to the pandemic are not reflected in the city’s official coronavirus death toll for the month of 171.

by Anonymousreply 95June 4, 2020 11:50 AM

Sorry. The source for post 95 is the Guardian not BBC.

by Anonymousreply 96June 4, 2020 11:52 AM

How the fuck was I (Kiwi living in a small town) able to catch this motherfucker when the entire country had 22 cases and yet most of you DLers are safe?

Be well everyone! I suspect this thing may have long term affects. Don't be blasé.

by Anonymousreply 97June 4, 2020 12:05 PM

[quote]I wonder how many people had such mild symptoms that they never even knew they had Corona. Just imagine those numbers !

Yeah, those numbers are not so big.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98June 4, 2020 12:17 PM

[quote]It is astonishing how quickly the media pivoted from 24/7 covid-19 coverage to 24/7 protest/riot coverage. I assume the pendulum will swing back in two weeks or so.

Good point. The media pivoted ultrafast. Sure, cover the protests/demonstrations and the street unrest, but the 24/7 one topic redundancy is exhausting. It is as if the media cannot multitask. It is whatever is sensational at the moment. Give it a few days and the media will shift again. Have a plane crash and that will be all CNN will talk about for days.

There is other world events being largely uncovered. This includes developments in Hong Kong, destruction of rain forests and soaring COVID-19 in Brazil, Netanyahu efforts to annex more of the West Bank and his collaboration with Jared Kushner, unauthorized arms sales to the Saudis, the Republican efforts to deter mail-in voting, McConnell opposing efforts for election security, the economy deteriorating, rising unemployment, primaries still happening, status of holding GOP convention in Charlotte, etc.

by Anonymousreply 99June 4, 2020 12:40 PM

Ban on Visas for students coming from China....

by Anonymousreply 100June 4, 2020 12:41 PM

⏳ CORONA TIME ~ JUNE 4 ~ 8:45 AM EST

😺 HUG YOUR CAT DAY

🌜 NATIONAL MOONSHINE DAY

🌎 GLOBAL

CASES: 6,603,475

DEATHS: 388,510

CRITICAL: 52,245

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 1,904,779

DEATHS :109,959

CRITICAL: 16,947

📊 STATS : WORLDOMETER.COM

by Anonymousreply 101June 4, 2020 12:45 PM

[quote] It is astonishing how quickly the media pivoted from 24/7 covid-19 coverage to 24/7 protest/riot coverage.

And the reporters have pivoted from reporting from the safety of their own homes to spending hours every day among the huge crowds of protesters.

I think a lot of people (and not just deplorables) have basically decided that COVID-19 is over in the U.S., despite the fact that there are still about 1,000 deaths and 20,000 new cases every day. In a few weeks, nobody will be wearing masks and nobody will be social distancing.

by Anonymousreply 102June 4, 2020 12:49 PM

[quote]In a few weeks, nobody will be wearing masks and nobody will be social distancing.

But a few weeks after that, the media will be reporting on a new wave of infections and deaths, so the masks and social distancing will be back.

by Anonymousreply 103June 4, 2020 12:55 PM

Hospitalizations due to the coronavirus are on the rise across the country, former FDA Commissioner Dr. Scott Gottlieb told CNBC this morning.

He added that hospitalizations are a “lagging indicator” that represent infections that occurred weeks ago, “but are more objective” than diagnosed cases, which are tied to how much testing is being done.

“Arizona hit 1,000 hospitalizations yesterday. Florida hit a high number of hospitalizations. They turned over about 1,400 cases, the highest number since April 17. We’re seeing hospitalizations go up in Tennessee, in Texas, in Georgia, in North Carolina, Minnesota, obviously.”

He added that hospitalizations are increasing in Wisconsin and Ohio as well.

“We’re heading into the fall with a lot of infection in this country,” he said. “That’s going to create risk to the fall and the winter."

by Anonymousreply 104June 4, 2020 1:06 PM

I notice FAUX not-News pivoted to FISA warrants and her e-mails rather seamlessly. It was on in the break room again and there was breathless coverage of Hillary. Love how she lives rent free in their puny little heads. It’s like the virus has magically disappeared according to FOX.

by Anonymousreply 105June 4, 2020 1:19 PM

I've said this before- 90% of these people protesting are doing this because they have NOWHERE TO GO AND NOTHING TO DO. They can't go to school or their job. They were going STIR CRAZY at home. Now they have removed the shackles of the Corona virus. No social distancing , no isolation. As others here have said the infection rate is now going to SOAR.

by Anonymousreply 106June 4, 2020 1:20 PM

[quote]I've said this before- 90% of these people protesting are doing this because they have NOWHERE TO GO AND NOTHING TO DO.

Oh, bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 107June 4, 2020 1:30 PM

Trump is moving "his" convention to another location because the Governor of NC refuses to kiss his posterior, and disregard all safety precautions for Corona.

by Anonymousreply 108June 4, 2020 1:55 PM

Yeah, it’s not like they’re [italic]angry [/italic]about cops murdering civilians or anything. They just wanted some fresh air.

by Anonymousreply 109June 4, 2020 2:01 PM

I don't like having to curtail summer activities, and forego vacation plans, but it's better to set them aside for the sake of my own health and well being, and for those people in my life that I care about.

We've all seen the consequences of what one single selfish person can do with regard to spreading this virus. I'm not going to be that person.

by Anonymousreply 110June 4, 2020 2:03 PM

I didn't realize anger and boredom justifies looting and burning. Perhaps later today I will go out and take advantage of the current five finger discount on a new summer wardrobe from Nordstrom's and Gucci, and expensive pair of sneakers, a new Rolex, a big screen TV, a new iPhone and some video games to curb the boredom, and some shiny gold and diamond bling. Then I'll swipe some steaks and a few bottles of liquor, and whatever else I can grab at the grocery store. And shoppers, don't forget to grab an extra box or two of facemasks at Walgreens, cause you gotta be safe. It's a Covid19 jungle out there.

by Anonymousreply 111June 4, 2020 2:17 PM

Cases are dramatically increasing in Iran following a decrease in social distancing measures and adherence. Is this our future?

BBC-For the third consecutive day, Iran has reported more than 3,000 new cases of Covid-19. The situation in several provinces has been classified as “alarming” and some restrictions have been reinstated in Khuzestan, in the south-west of the country, where there is a state of emergency. Experts believe several reasons are behind the increase in cases. Most important of all is the fact that many Iranians are not taking social distancing seriously. Ignoring official advice, thousands of people travelled to northern Iran - then considered a high-risk “red” zone - two weeks ago for the Eid al-Fitr holidays. Undergrounds stations, banks and offices have also been packed with people. The authorities have been warning about a second wave of the outbreak, but they do not seem interested in a second lockdown in order to contain the virus - at least for now.

by Anonymousreply 112June 4, 2020 3:51 PM

[quote]Cases are dramatically increasing in Iran following a decrease in social distancing measures and adherence. Is this our future?

SPOILER ALERT:

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 113June 4, 2020 5:07 PM

It's not our future, R113, it's our present. It already started. The South is fucked. The idiotic blue states who caved for no fucking reason will follow.

by Anonymousreply 114June 4, 2020 5:12 PM

Well, Vegas casinos opened up last night. Hoards of people not wearing masks. This is insane.

by Anonymousreply 115June 4, 2020 5:28 PM

[quote]The idiotic blue states who caved for no fucking reason will follow.

What the fuck are you talking about?

The idiotic blue states?

What about the States allowing protesters to crowd together, chant and yell?

If that kind of behavior is so serious, why is it not being stopped?

NYC:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116June 4, 2020 5:32 PM

Bellagio opened today. No poo shoes, please. But I can't help but think that this is really sad and I'm a Vegas fan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117June 4, 2020 5:38 PM

[quote]If that kind of behavior is so serious, why is it not being stopped?

How do you propose to stop 10,000 people from protesting?

by Anonymousreply 118June 4, 2020 6:04 PM

The good news is that no one is dying from it anymore. The death count has been practically frozen for the past several weeks. I think it's a combination of people knowing how to protect themselves, and better treatment protocols.

by Anonymousreply 119June 4, 2020 6:30 PM

[quote]Hoards of people not wearing masks.

I meant hordes, not hoards. Hoarding is when you fill your house from floor to ceiling with crap. Hordes are mobs to the nth, like the “Mongol hordes.”

But you knew that.

—r115

by Anonymousreply 120June 4, 2020 6:46 PM

That Atlantic profiles "long-haulers" -- COVID-19 victims who have endured waves of debilitating symptoms ... and disbelief from doctors and friends.

About 80 percent of infections, according to the World Health Organization, “are mild or asymptomatic,” and patients recover after two weeks, on average. Yet support groups on Slack and Facebook host thousands of people who say they have been wrestling with serious COVID-19 symptoms for at least a month, if not two or three. Some call themselves “long-termers” or “long-haulers.”

Most have never been admitted to an ICU or gone on a ventilator, so their cases technically count as “mild.” But their lives have nonetheless been flattened by relentless and rolling waves of symptoms that make it hard to concentrate, exercise, or perform simple physical tasks. Most are young. Most were previously fit and healthy. “It is mild relative to dying in a hospital, but this virus has ruined my life,” says one long-hauler. “Even reading a book is challenging and exhausting. What small joys other people are experiencing in lockdown—yoga, bread baking—are beyond the realms of possibility for me.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121June 4, 2020 6:47 PM

Morgan Stanley's update today to its COVID model sees a an R of ~ 1.01 and epidemic doubling time ~ 61 days, reflecting a U.S. epidemic that continues to slowly expand. They cite states including AR, AZ, NC, WA, AZ, UT, TX; where new cases and/or hospitalizations are rising again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122June 4, 2020 6:49 PM

r121 I am not saying these people are lying but...It reminds me of people who say they have fibromyalgia.

by Anonymousreply 123June 4, 2020 6:52 PM

[quote]How do you propose to stop 10,000 people from protesting?

The point is, it's not even being mentioned, not being talked about, not being condemned.

Social distancing was soooo important two weeks ago. Oh those deplorables and so forth.

by Anonymousreply 124June 4, 2020 7:16 PM

Cuomo talked about the protestors/virus issue today. He said testing was available to all of them to avoid spreading the virus. Cable news can only handle one story at a time. Covid can't compete with pictures of protestors/looters/etc. so they've moved on.

Once the demonstrations get boring they'll bring back the Covid death clock...

by Anonymousreply 125June 4, 2020 7:20 PM

[quote]The point is, it's not even being mentioned, not being talked about, not being condemned.

Odd, as every CNN and MSNBC anchor I've seen over the past week has talked about it, as has most every epidemiologist and public health official I've seen on Twitter. I've read multiple New York Times and Washington Post articles referencing it.

It's certainly not the focus of the TV coverage, and I wish the networks would emphasize it more, but it has certainly not been swept under the rug.

by Anonymousreply 126June 4, 2020 7:37 PM

Yes, city of New York is also trying to reach out to protesters to get tested. Both NY city and state are concerned and on board.

In my own little corner of the world I offered the following admittedly kind of lame PSA:

You did the right thing by protesting. Now do another right thing by getting tested.

by Anonymousreply 127June 4, 2020 7:39 PM

Hordes are hoarding masks, gloves, and sanitizer.

by Anonymousreply 128June 4, 2020 7:40 PM

How can a mere plague possibly compete with raging violence, looting, pillaging, and photo ops in front of the Sacred Temple of God?

by Anonymousreply 129June 4, 2020 7:47 PM

I am quietly going into Target and Ralphs picking up all essentials because cases are going to spike and we will be in lockdown again very soon.

by Anonymousreply 130June 4, 2020 7:48 PM

R119 Huh?

by Anonymousreply 131June 4, 2020 7:52 PM

Over 110K deaths now in the US according to Worldometer. Remember when Trump said that the final number would be under 60K? Crazy bastard.

by Anonymousreply 132June 4, 2020 8:48 PM

^ When all is said and done, the numbers will be more than twice as much as that

by Anonymousreply 133June 4, 2020 9:07 PM

I remember when dump said the number would be zero

by Anonymousreply 134June 4, 2020 9:30 PM

R121, many thanks for that article. I think I definitely fall into the category of the “long haulers.” I’m in my sixth week of “mild symptoms” and getting an MRI in two weeks after an ER visit revealed I’ve ended up with a non life threatening heart condition.

by Anonymousreply 135June 4, 2020 10:24 PM

What a swell idea!

[quote]SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) — Organizers have scrapped plans to mandate social distancing during President Donald Trump’s appearance at a July 3 Mount Rushmore fireworks display and won’t limit the crowd due to coronavirus concerns, South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem said Thursday.

by Anonymousreply 136June 4, 2020 11:52 PM

R130 I am doing the same. I'm not one to panic about things, but have learned the importance of being better prepared. Once the masses start to get twinges of panic, it's too late. The hoarding commences. Now, this weekend I need to re-organize my walk in closet so I can actually walk in.

by Anonymousreply 137June 5, 2020 12:12 AM

⏳ CORONA TIME ~ JUNE 4 ~ 8:25 PM EST

😺 HUG YOUR CAT DAY

🌜 NATIONAL MOONSHINE DAY

🌎 GLOBAL

CASES: 6,688,922

DEATHS: 392,123

CRITICAL: 55,376

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 1,923,730

DEATHS: 110,171

CRITICAL: 16,988

📊 STATS @ WORLDOMETER.COM

by Anonymousreply 138June 5, 2020 12:21 AM

20% of coronavirus cases result in 80% of transmission.

A group of epidemiologists in Hong Kong found that just 20% of cases studied there were responsible for 80% of all coronavirus transmission. The researchers also found that 70% of people infected with the coronavirus didn't pass it to anyone else, and that all super-spreading events involved indoor social gatherings.

"Super-spreading events are happening more than we expected, more than what could be explained by chance," said one of the study's co-authors. "The frequency of super-spreading is beyond what we could have imagined."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139June 5, 2020 12:25 AM

😷 Most online outlets are currently well stocked with both reusable and disposable face masks, and prices have dropped. Pick up some extras ASAP before the supplies are depleted. In a few weeks they'll probably be hard to find and prices will skyrocket again.

Sanitizers and gloves are sold out on most sites. If you're lucky enough to locate them, grab them fast!

by Anonymousreply 140June 5, 2020 12:29 AM

When SJW protesting collides with an ongoing pandemic:

[quote]Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz is asking everyone who has protested the death of George Floyd to be checked for coronavirus. “Anyone who demonstrated should receive a test for Covid-19,” Walz tweeted Thursday evening.

Maybe someone should have thought about the ramifications of this shit before now.

by Anonymousreply 141June 5, 2020 12:55 AM

^^ Everyone is saying that NOW that protests have calmed down. Luckily, a lot of the protestors wore masks. Hopefully, they worked because I am rooting for them!🇺🇸

by Anonymousreply 142June 5, 2020 1:07 AM

r141, the freepers who whine about SJWs didn't care about all those "liberate" protesters who didn't wear masks

by Anonymousreply 143June 5, 2020 1:10 AM

After you protest, got get a test!

Be a super person, not a super spreader.

by Anonymousreply 144June 5, 2020 1:30 AM

Ha, I think that's pretty good, ElderLez!

by Anonymousreply 145June 5, 2020 1:32 AM

The weekend is just hours away. Will we get through without any major incidents?

by Anonymousreply 146June 5, 2020 2:17 AM

Guardian-Brazil’s total COVID-19 death toll blew past that of Italy on Thursday, as the Health Ministry reported 1,437 deaths in the last 24 hours and 30,925 additional coronavirus cases. The Latin American nation has now reported 34,021 deaths from the coronavirus, trailing only the United States and the United Kingdom.

by Anonymousreply 147June 5, 2020 3:43 AM

NYC reports no new coronavirus deaths for first time since mid-March

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148June 5, 2020 4:02 AM

R148- WRONG. Worldometer showed about 74 Covid 19 deaths in NYC on Wednesday.

by Anonymousreply 149June 5, 2020 4:10 AM

The article at r148 refers to deaths confirmed by the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.

Worldometer comes up with its own numbers, as detailed in the link below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150June 5, 2020 4:42 AM

[quote]The good news is that no one is dying from it anymore. The death count has been practically frozen for the past several weeks.

The U.S. death count went up by 10,000 in the past 2 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 151June 5, 2020 7:24 AM

Exactly what Trump wants to happen is happening....

by Anonymousreply 152June 5, 2020 7:28 AM

[quote] The good news is that no one is dying from it anymore. The death count has been practically frozen for the past several weeks.

There have been more than 1,000 deaths in the U.S. in each of the past 3 days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153June 5, 2020 7:52 AM

But... but... black lives matter, uh, more!

by Anonymousreply 154June 5, 2020 9:00 AM

Go away r154

by Anonymousreply 155June 5, 2020 11:43 AM

U first R155. Don’t you have a meaningless protest to distract at/be at?

by Anonymousreply 156June 5, 2020 11:55 AM

Coronavirus cases in the United States have been slowly ticking up since the Memorial Day holiday, according to a CNBC analysis of data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

New cases hit a peak of 31,578, based on a seven-day average, on April 10 before steadily falling to an eight-week low of just over 20,600 a day on May 28 — and have been rising ever since. New cases in the U.S. have risen over the last three days in a row with a seven-day average of 21,763 new cases reported Wednesday, the data shows.

by Anonymousreply 157June 5, 2020 1:12 PM

Guardian-Sweden reported another large rise in new cases of coronavirus on Friday, with the 1,056 positive tests reported by the public health agency marking the third day the country’s caseload had increased by more than a thousand. While a bumper report of 2,214 cases on Wednesday was partly explained by a lab releasing a backlog of results, on Thursday, after another 1,084 cases were reported, the public health agency said the rise in cases could not wholly be explained by increased testing.

by Anonymousreply 158June 5, 2020 1:51 PM

⏳ CORONA TIME ~ JUNE 5 ~ 10:30 AM EST

🍩 NATIONAL DONUT DAY

🌎 GLOBAL

CASES: 6,737,872

DEATHS: 393,784

CRITICAL: 53,597

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 1,925,346

DEATHS: 110,218

CRITICAL: 17,083

🍩🍩🍩...... YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO !

by Anonymousreply 159June 5, 2020 2:30 PM

Hmm... The "good outcome" statement in the last sentence sounds vaguely familiar

BBC-The number of people who have died in the UK after testing positive for coronavirus has passed 40,000. It comes as another 357 people were reported to have died with the virus in hospitals, care homes and the wider community, according to the Department for Health. It brings the total to 40,261. The UK is only the second country in the world to pass that number of deaths from Covid-19. In March, the government's chief scientific adviser, Sir Patrick Vallance, said keeping deaths below 20,000 would be a "good outcome".

by Anonymousreply 160June 5, 2020 3:15 PM

BBC-A University of Oxford trial into anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine will end with "immediate effect" after it was found to be ineffective against Covid-19, researchers have said. The Recovery trials, which look at potential coronavirus treatments, involve a number of medications that are licensed for use for other conditions, including hydroxychloroquine. But, after reviewing the data on Thursday, the chief researchers decided to end the hydroxychloroquine arm of the trial after it was found to be not effective in preventing the deaths of coronavirus patients in hospital. Researchers found that 25.7% of patients who were given hydroxychloroquine died after 28 days, compared with 23.5% of people who had standard care alone.

by Anonymousreply 161June 5, 2020 3:24 PM

R135, you might also be interested in this link, where the author of the "long-haul" story shares other articles relevant to the topic.

I hope you feel better soon and that your heart condition resolves itself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162June 5, 2020 4:05 PM

The WHO has reversed its stance on masks to curb Covid-19 spread.

People over 60 or with health issues should wear a medical-grade mask when they are out and cannot socially distance, according to new guidance from the World Health Organization, while all others should wear a three-layer fabric mask.

The new WHO guidance, announced on Friday, is a result of research commissioned by the organization. It is still unknown whether the wearers of masks are protected, say its experts, but the new design it advocates does give protection to other people if properly used.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163June 5, 2020 4:11 PM

the WHO is so fucking stupid!

of course it helps!

by Anonymousreply 164June 5, 2020 4:51 PM

Oh and vitamin D is important as well, don't forget.

Remember all those studies stating that vitamins are fucking useless? You have to buy the right brands, lots of fake shit out there. Remember, drug companies make money if you're sick, not healthy!

by Anonymousreply 165June 5, 2020 4:56 PM

I will be wearing a mask.

And gloves as needed.

Keep hand sanitizer in my pocket.

Avoid unnecessary contact.

And buy some donuts to celebrate the day.

by Anonymousreply 166June 5, 2020 5:04 PM

1,300 public health experts signed a letter supporting George Floyd protests while simultaneously condemning the anti-lockdown ones, raising questions about the impartiality of the messaging the public is getting from such experts on large gatherings.

“Many public health experts have already severely undermined the power and influence of their prior message,” aid Jeffrey Flier, the former dean of Harvard Medical School. “We were exposed to continuous daily Covid death counts, and infections/deaths were presented as preeminent concerns compared to all other considerations—until nine days ago."

“Overnight, behaviors seen as dangerous and immoral seemingly became permissible due to a ‘greater need,’” Flier said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167June 5, 2020 5:06 PM

Gee, maybe because the protesters are actually supporting something important this time around? Also, many of them are wearing maks.

by Anonymousreply 168June 5, 2020 5:16 PM

not all are wearing them properly or even wearing them and you're shouting and screaming...droplets are traveling farther.

by Anonymousreply 169June 5, 2020 5:20 PM

How many asymptomatic people were coughing their droplets into the air after the tear gas was fired?

by Anonymousreply 170June 5, 2020 5:23 PM

The virus does change its infectiousness based on the righteousness of your cause. Protests are super risky for the same reason church is super risky even before you add tear gas and pepper spray.

by Anonymousreply 171June 5, 2020 5:30 PM

COVIDTRAPTM, a proprietary ACE2-Fc decoy protein, binds strongly to the spike protein of the SARS-CoV-2 virus;

- COVIDTRAP neutralizes the SARS-CoV-2 virus and prevents infection in African green monkey kidney epithelial cells (VERO/E6 cells) in vitro at low concentration;

- STI-4398 has received FDA Feedback on the rapid development of the product candidate; and

- Together with Sorrento's previously announced potent STI-1499 neutralizing antibody preclinical product candidate, STI-4398 COVIDTRAP may provide a potent antidote against COVID-19.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172June 5, 2020 6:59 PM

⏳ CORONA TIME ~ JUNE 5 ~ 3:45 PM EST

🍩 NATIONAL DONUT DAY

🌎 GLOBAL

CASES: 6,779,046

DEATHS: 395,715

CRITICAL: 55,529

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 1,937,826

DEATHS: 110,742

CRITICAL: 17,081

📊 STATS: WORLDOMETER.COM

by Anonymousreply 173June 5, 2020 7:43 PM

10K deaths in 10 days... At this rate, we will be at 200K deaths by Labor Day.

by Anonymousreply 174June 5, 2020 7:58 PM

Social distancing is over.

In a few weeks, one of two things will have happened. Either covid-19 cases will abruptly reverse their decline in some of America’s largest cities, and we will know that they were seeded by the days of rage we are living through . . . or they won’t. Either way, social distancing is over.

In the happy scenario, the protests will have performed an enormous public service, even beyond agitating for justice. They are basically running a natural experiment that scientists could never have ethically undertaken: Do massive outside gatherings — including singing, chanting, screaming and coughing — spread covid-19, or not? Along with evidence from the Memorial Day weekend parties at Missouri’s Lake of the Ozarks, they may well demonstrate, once and for all, that the risk of spreading covid-19 outdoors is negligible. At which point, throw open the bar patios and backyard barbecues! Bring on the beach-blanket bingo! Move church pews into the parking lot and sing away!

Unfortunately, it’s also grimly plausible that in a few weeks we’ll see new outbreaks that will soon surge out of control, taking many American lives. Because we’ll never be able to lock down our cities again; once you’ve let the cat out of the bag, kitty won’t allow himself to be stuffed back in.

If it turns out that covid-19 can spread outside, if enough people gather close together, it will be too late to do anything about it. Public health officials will have forfeited their legal authority; media outlets and cultural leaders who have been much more sympathetic to protests than other sorts of gatherings will never persuade anyone who differs to go back inside. The disease will spread unhindered by anything except private, prudential decisions to avoid other people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175June 5, 2020 10:09 PM

Good points R175. +28K cases today in the US. Not looking good at the moment

by Anonymousreply 176June 5, 2020 10:55 PM

Unfortunately, people of all walks of life and political persuasions are vulnerable to rumors, propaganda, conspiracy theories, and just plain magical thinking, so it's not surprising people are out there doing reckless things, but I have to say I've seen a lot more face masks on the George Floyd protesters than on the anti-lockdown protesters. Also, they tend to be younger and fitter.

by Anonymousreply 177June 5, 2020 11:06 PM

USA Today:

As Trump touts increased production, coronavirus swabs made during his Maine factory tour will be tossed in the trash

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178June 5, 2020 11:14 PM

🤥 [italic] " It's a giant Qtip. Looks at the size of this thing.

It's a really, really big Qtip.

Most of you have probably never seen a Qtip this big. Pretty amazing huh?

And they're in every single test kit in America. Everybody who wants a test can get one with the big Qtip.

No other country has free test for everyone. Only in America do we have tests kits for everyone who wants one. And they're free, people! Free !

by Anonymousreply 179June 5, 2020 11:24 PM

Great article R175. Thanks for posting it.

by Anonymousreply 180June 6, 2020 1:06 AM

R178 I want to vomit.

by Anonymousreply 181June 6, 2020 2:24 AM

That article suggesting people over 60 and with medical conditions need to be wearing medical grade masks is lovely, but how the FUCK do we get them? I still can't find any.

by Anonymousreply 182June 6, 2020 8:17 AM

⏳ CORONA TIME ~ JUNE 6 ~ 11:10 AM EST

🛩️ D-DAY JUNE 6, 1944

🌎 GLOBAL

CASES: 6,779,236

DEATHS: 399,213

CRITICAL: 53,529

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 1,969,406

DEATHS: 111,478

CRITICAL: 17,121

by Anonymousreply 183June 6, 2020 3:08 PM

* CORRECTION TO 🌎 GLOBAL CASES: 6,893,236

by Anonymousreply 184June 6, 2020 3:12 PM

medical grade surgical mask....is that level 2 mask or N95 type?

I've seen level 2 mask being sold.

by Anonymousreply 185June 6, 2020 3:15 PM

r182, they still don't have enough for frontline medical workers so it's not surprising they're not available for the general public. Also, be careful what you buy. There are counterfeit N95 masks out there and there are masks with valves on the front that are useless.

by Anonymousreply 186June 6, 2020 3:19 PM

i've seen people set up tables outside home depot and supermarkets in manhattan, selling masks of all kinds. the guy was selling a face shield for 10 bucks.

you can buy a package of 5 face shields for 20 bucks at CVS

by Anonymousreply 187June 6, 2020 3:23 PM

Guardian-Nearly a third of companies who have received coronavirus loans from the Bank of England are connected to tax havens, research suggests. Analysis by TaxWatch, an investigative thinktank, claims that 14 out of the 53 businesses which have benefited from the support are either based in a tax haven, or substantially owned by a tax haven resident. These companies have received more than £5bn in loans as part of the coronavirus corporate financing facility (CCFF) - a Bank of England scheme designed to support some of the biggest companies with credit ratings. British Airways, whose parent company is based in Jersey, has accessed £300m of support from the scheme, and digger-maker JCB, whose parent company is located in the Netherlands, and fashion brand Chanel, whose parent company is based in the Cayman Islands, have received loans of £600m. TaxWatch said one company receiving a loan is under investigation by the Serious Fraud Office while another is nine months late in filing its UK accounts.

by Anonymousreply 188June 6, 2020 4:00 PM

He is such a little bitch

Guardian -The Brazilian president, Jair Bolsonaro, has threatened to pull out of the World Health Organization (WHO) over “ideological bias”, after US president Donald Trump announced the severance of all US ties with the WHO at the end of May. Fuelling the debate raging around the pandemic, its origins and the best way to respond, Bolsonaro criticised the World Health Organization for suspending clinical trials of the drug hydroxychloroquine for Covid-19 - a decision it reversed this week - and threatened to follow in Trump’s footsteps by quitting. “I’m telling you right now, the United States left the WHO, and we’re studying that, in the future. Either the WHO works without ideological bias, or we leave, too,” the far-right leader told journalists. Dubbed the “Tropical Trump”, Bolsonaro has followed the US president in his handling of the pandemic, downplaying its severity, attacking stay-at-home measures and touting the purported effects of hydroxychloroquine against Covid-19.

by Anonymousreply 189June 6, 2020 4:15 PM

CNN international-New cases of the novel coronavirus are rising faster than ever worldwide, at a rate of more than 100,000 a day over a seven-day average.

by Anonymousreply 190June 6, 2020 4:20 PM

The Tropical Trump - LOL!

by Anonymousreply 191June 6, 2020 4:47 PM

Thank god the Hillary hater CPT is gone. What a depraved psychopath.

The numbers were always wrong anyway. I’m sure there was some kind of agenda with the numbers.

by Anonymousreply 192June 6, 2020 4:55 PM

CNN International @cnni

Coronavirus-related cases and deaths across Latin America are rising faster than anywhere in the world. And in the worst-hit countries, they show no signs of slowing down. The region has recorded nearly 1.2 million cases and more than 60,000 deaths.

by Anonymousreply 193June 6, 2020 4:59 PM

Wait until someone actually starts paying attention and counting deaths in Africa.

Congo right now has a measles and ebola outbreak to go with Covid.

by Anonymousreply 194June 6, 2020 5:32 PM

I'm getting my regular flu shot early this year, because I have a feeling that there will be a shortage if you wait too long to get it. The flu season started earlier than expected the last 2 years anyway.

by Anonymousreply 195June 6, 2020 5:37 PM

Yeah, I thought we'd be hearing more about Africa with this pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 196June 6, 2020 6:27 PM

On Monday, I'm starting my new job as an Official Contact Tracer in the village.

by Anonymousreply 197June 6, 2020 6:35 PM

Take a look around America. The infrastructure is 50 years old, at least, factories have been abandoned, large parts of cities are bombed out, the farms are all closed and it’s all the fault of these evil republicans and their corporate cohorts.

We are all Africa now.

by Anonymousreply 198June 6, 2020 6:56 PM

[quote]We are all Africa now.

Uh...no, Meryl....we're not.

by Anonymousreply 199June 6, 2020 7:23 PM

[quote]Yeah, I thought we'd be hearing more about Africa with this pandemic.

We can't even get ourselves tested. People will just continue to drop dead all over Africa and no one will be counted because it's what happens all the time. No tests. No hospitals. No Covid. Funny how that works.

by Anonymousreply 200June 6, 2020 7:37 PM

Vegas is BACK, baby!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201June 6, 2020 9:07 PM

R201 And not a face mask in sight, I might add.

by Anonymousreply 202June 6, 2020 9:09 PM

Just went for pickup at the local Italian restaurant. Ton of people standing outside drinking and talking - not a mask in sight. I had to go around them (not through!) to pickup my food. So annoying! I considered delivery, but it is only two blocks away and I don't want an extra tip/person touching my food, if possibe. Sigh

by Anonymousreply 203June 6, 2020 9:34 PM

⏳ CORONA TIME - JUNE 6 ~ 6:15 PM EST

🛩️ D-DAY ~ JUNE Y, 1944 ~ "LEST WE FORGET"

🌎 GLOBAL

CASES: 6,946,269

DEATHS: 400,962

CRITICAL: 53,591

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 1,986,111

DEATHS: 112,046

CRITICAL: 17,012

by Anonymousreply 204June 6, 2020 10:14 PM

What countries do effective contract tracing, over even know how to do it? Taiwan, China, South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Australia, New Zealand. I believe Germany is getting the hang of it but most countries either lack the capability (poor and over populated) or don't seem to grasp the concept.

by Anonymousreply 205June 6, 2020 11:26 PM

I am watching CNN and getting anxiety just seeing the huge crowds at the protests today. For their sake, I hope Covid-19 is weakening like some believe!!

by Anonymousreply 206June 6, 2020 11:41 PM

R197, please report back on how it's going!

by Anonymousreply 207June 7, 2020 12:17 AM

Korean is having another wave, over 50 new cases. I know that's not a lot but it is for them...

by Anonymousreply 208June 7, 2020 12:23 AM

Florida sets new single-day since reopening. Can't post a link. Just saw a shot of the protest in DC. THOUSANDS crammed together! Cases are going to spike!

by Anonymousreply 209June 7, 2020 12:32 AM

Did you see the huge BLM protests in Europe today? Get ready for a second wave.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210June 7, 2020 12:41 AM

I believe the lockdown and a disconnect from other people helped to fuel the protest crowds also.

by Anonymousreply 211June 7, 2020 12:45 AM

Well, when this all started, we were all ignorant sitting ducks in the aim of Covid.

Now, we know how to protect ourselves to a pretty strong degree so it will only be taking out those who choose ignorance.

This is when the culling of the herd based on stupidity begins.

by Anonymousreply 212June 7, 2020 1:00 AM

A week into June, and the United States is a heartbeat away from two million cases.

🙊 THAT is scary.

by Anonymousreply 213June 7, 2020 1:04 AM

New cases are back up to 22,000 - 26,000 per day.

by Anonymousreply 214June 7, 2020 1:44 AM

IHME has increased their projected U.S. deaths from about 123,000 to 140,000 (And that's only through Aug. 4. It doesn't take into account the possibility of a "second wave" in the fall). Their projections always assume there will be a sharp drop in the number of deaths, but that never happens, so they keep increasing their projections.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215June 7, 2020 2:33 AM

People can be such hypocrites. Just weeks ago, they excoriated the "open up the economy" protestors for failing to social distance. Now, these very same people are marching in BLM protests in crowds of tens of thousands.

Here is a video from Paul Joseph Watson that illustrates the hypocrisy. He calls it the "Wokevirus."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216June 7, 2020 2:41 AM

R216 Thanks for posting that and a thanks to him for pointing out the hypocritical left.

by Anonymousreply 217June 7, 2020 2:51 AM

BLM!

by Anonymousreply 218June 7, 2020 2:55 AM

Don’t click on those sketchy YouTube links they will cookie and dox you.

Come back when you have some reputable sources.

by Anonymousreply 219June 7, 2020 2:58 AM

Huge crowds jammed together screaming and yelling for hours at a time. What could possibly go wrong? At least they got to feel good about themselves for awhile though.

by Anonymousreply 220June 7, 2020 3:05 AM

[quote]Nationally, average daily hospitalizations for Covid19 increased last week. There's been a persistent level of infections and hospitalizations for weeks; without showing a clear direction lower. This graph shows average daily hospitalizations for 34 states that report daily data.

- Scott Gottleib on Twitter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221June 7, 2020 3:53 AM

Keep an eye on Brazil

Guardian-Here is a further update from Reuters on Brazil, which has removed from public view months of data on its Covid-19 epidemic. The health ministry in Brazil - which has the world’s second-largest coronavirus outbreak - removed the data from a website that had documented the epidemic over time and by state and municipality. The ministry also stopped giving a total count of confirmed cases, which have shot past 672,000, more than anywhere outside the United States, or a total death toll, which passed Italy this week, nearing 36,000 by Saturday. “The cumulative data ... does not reflect the moment the country is in,” Bolsonaro said on Twitter, citing a note from the ministry. “Other actions are underway to improve the reporting of cases and confirmation of diagnoses.”

by Anonymousreply 222June 7, 2020 5:26 AM

[quote]Now, these very same people are marching in BLM protests

No, not all of "the very same people" are marching, and most were wearing masks in the protest pix my friend took today. I wanted to go, but as one of "the very same people" who is still concerned about the virus, I stayed home.

Meanwhile, people had big Memorial Day parties and pulling their masks down at stores while not maintaining social distance since we went to stage 2 reopening, so they are spreading it just as effectively as protesters.

by Anonymousreply 223June 7, 2020 6:38 AM

[QUOTE] There seems to be an interesting connection about coronavirus not affecting populations at very high altitude

So we could have had our Everest thread after all?

by Anonymousreply 224June 7, 2020 8:22 AM

Virologist estimates each day of protests will lead to 200-1,100 additional covid deaths.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225June 7, 2020 12:52 PM

I had the exact thought r224! Miss that thread!

by Anonymousreply 226June 7, 2020 1:48 PM

Reports of viruses demise premature.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227June 7, 2020 1:49 PM

sorry about that inexcusable grammatical mistake.

by Anonymousreply 228June 7, 2020 1:52 PM

⏳ CORONA TIME ~ JUNE 7 ~ 10:45 AM EST

🎗️ NATIONAL CANCER SURVIVORS DAY

📼 NATIONAL VCR DAY

🌎 GLOBAL

CASES: 7,021,282

DEATHS: 402,837

CRITICAL: 53,751

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 1,990,602

DEATHS: 112,128

CRITICAL: 17,016

by Anonymousreply 229June 7, 2020 2:45 PM

indoor Vegas casinos

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230June 7, 2020 2:54 PM

[quote]indoor Vegas casinos

Casinos thrive on the inability of their customers to understand math, statistics and risk.

by Anonymousreply 231June 7, 2020 2:59 PM

🎲 Gamble with my life?

No fank you.

by Anonymousreply 232June 7, 2020 3:11 PM

[quote]Meanwhile, people had big Memorial Day parties and pulling their masks down at stores while not maintaining social distance since we went to stage 2 reopening, so they are spreading it just as effectively as protesters.

I doubt that.

The protesters are pulling down their masks to yell and chant. About the worst thing you can do.

by Anonymousreply 233June 7, 2020 4:31 PM

Viva!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234June 7, 2020 4:32 PM

R219 That's Paul Joseph Watson's YouTube channel. He's a legit political commentator. It sounds like you want to censor him.

by Anonymousreply 235June 7, 2020 4:38 PM

[quote]That's Paul Joseph Watson's YouTube channel. He's a legit political commentator.

Wikipedia:

Paul Joseph Watson is an English YouTube personality, radio host, writer and conspiracy theorist. He has been described as 'alt-right' and 'far-right' by multiple sources. Although as late as July 2016 he called himself alt-right, he no longer accepts that label and considers himself part of the 'New Right'.

by Anonymousreply 236June 7, 2020 4:40 PM

Smart gamblers know the odds. These are not smart gamblers. The house always wins.

by Anonymousreply 237June 7, 2020 4:46 PM

Yale Social and Natural Science Professor Nicholas A. Christakis on the inevitable second wave of the virus amid Americans' increasing tolerance for death and resistance to any further self sacrifice:

Americans may just be resigned to letting full or mostly full impact of COVID19 be felt — which will then surpass 300k deaths in the end. Indeed — by the epidemiological numbers — it will be much more than that.

by Anonymousreply 238June 7, 2020 4:47 PM

See r236 and DO NOT CLICK ON RIGHT-WING SITES.

They will stalk you and dox you and then harass you.

Besides, who wants to willingly listen to trolling propaganda?

by Anonymousreply 239June 7, 2020 5:00 PM

Yes I do want to sensor all dishonest and manipulative right-wing propaganda. Who wouldn’t? It’s a bunch of garbage that radicalizes the ignorant just like ISIS.

They use the same tactics.

Who needs it?

by Anonymousreply 240June 7, 2020 5:01 PM

R239 Oh please.

What he says in that video is perfectly reasonable.

And something that all should hear.

by Anonymousreply 241June 7, 2020 5:04 PM

Click at your own risk.

by Anonymousreply 242June 7, 2020 5:05 PM

Curfew lifted one day early in NYC. Wonder if they are gonna protest all night and loot...tomorrow is Phase 1 re-opening. curb side pick up for stores. but some stores are not gonna open due to the damage from looting like Coach, Kate Spade and Macy's.

by Anonymousreply 243June 7, 2020 5:29 PM

Not Kate Spade! When will the tears stop.

[quote]Curfew lifted one day early in NYC

Because the city was about to lose in court.

by Anonymousreply 244June 7, 2020 5:34 PM

Covid was already increasingly spreading over Memorial Day because of the failed federal administration’s laughable response to the pandemic.

I don’t blame these protesters for realizing that no one at the federal level was handling the pandemic anyway so why not go out and demand civil rights. They were being exposed anyway due the the fed’s failures.

They where between a rock and a hard place.

by Anonymousreply 245June 7, 2020 5:40 PM

My county was denied green zone status on Friday. Politicians in the area are outraged. Republicans had their own town hall, and sceamed " politically motivated."

On Saturday we had our single highest number of cases in the area. We have four colleges in the county, and the grads have been holding large outdoor parties, lots of attendees without any social distancing and masks, lots of yelling, hugging, and boozing.

We also have a State Park, with beaches officially opening on Saturday for swimming, a lake for boating, skiing, and other water activities, and biking, hiking, and walking trails, and picnic areas.

I'm grateful the governor chose to keep us in the yellow zone. The contact tracing has been lax, and cases have been on the rise. I'm not complaining in the least. I'm glad he had the balls to make the right choice.

by Anonymousreply 246June 7, 2020 5:43 PM

[quote]The protesters are pulling down their masks to yell and chant. About the worst thing you can do.

I'm sure they are, but there have also been silent protests, like the one yesterday. I realize the number of protesters crowded together acting stupid will definitely heighten spread, but not "all the same people" are out there with them contributing.

As I said, the dumber protesters aren't much different than the Ralphs and Walmart employees not wearing their masks at all (under your chin or nose doesn't count) and yelling down the aisles at each other, or different from customers who remove their masks in stores and crawl up my ass in line and while looking at things on aisles. In a county as large as ours (Los Angeles), the store assholes constitute quite a few people doing their part to spread the virus.

by Anonymousreply 247June 7, 2020 6:43 PM

any more news about BCG shots?

by Anonymousreply 248June 7, 2020 7:01 PM

The difference between protesters and casino goers is that the protesters are, for the most part, younger, mask wearing and outdoors. I still think it's not a smart thing but the older, fatter, smoking, non-mask wearing gamblers congregated indoors is way more dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 249June 7, 2020 7:05 PM

Large groups of people congregating anywhere, with or without masks, regardless of age or circumstances, is dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 250June 7, 2020 7:12 PM

Pushing everything to reopen before Memorial Day Is what did it in.

By the time the protesters came out it was already spreading again. Cases were doubling.

Besides, they were pushed to the limit. How many more people are they supposed to watch be killed by bad cops. The good cops should be protesting too. And many are.

by Anonymousreply 251June 7, 2020 7:13 PM

Also, medic stations were being set up with masks and guidance For distatsncing and supplies but the bad cops trashed them while the good ones stood by.

The organizers were trying to make these protest safer but the burtal policing was forcing them closer together and pinning them together to further the spread of Covid. They wanted them to spread it.

That’s why they surrounded them and pushed them together. And then ransacked the Corona/medic stations to stop them from promoting distance and safety.

If it wasn’t for the disastrous administration and their fumbling of both the protests response as well as the Covid response, there would be no uptick. The virus would have been stopped in its tracks in March like South Korea.

These people have to go. They are literally killing this country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252June 7, 2020 7:20 PM

They was the cops intentionally tried to spread Covid by forcing the protesters closer together is called kettling.

They did this on purpose to spread the virus:

“The chaos looked to be an example of “kettling,” a crowd-control tactic used by police that corrals demonstrators into a confined space, so they can’t leave.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253June 7, 2020 7:22 PM

The “kettling” of protesters, explained The police crowd-control tactic has been used at protests across the country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254June 7, 2020 7:23 PM

If there is an uptick from the protests, it’s clearly the fault of the cops fault.

The organizers were trying to stop this from happening:

Medical Workers Fighting COVID Say Cops Are Attacking Them

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255June 7, 2020 7:26 PM

“Twenty minutes after leaving his job at a Brooklyn hospital on Saturday night, 32-year-old Rayne Valentine was lying in the fetal position on the sidewalk.

He’d been beaten and kicked by New York police officers, his hospital ID smeared with his own blood, he told The Daily Beast.“

by Anonymousreply 256June 7, 2020 7:26 PM

[quote] The organizers were trying to make these protest safer but the burtal policing was forcing them closer together and pinning them together to further the spread of Covid. They wanted them to spread it.

You sound like a fucking idiot conspiracy theorist. You are hurting more than helping, moron.

by Anonymousreply 257June 7, 2020 7:58 PM

Medics:

“A few minutes after 8 o'clock, we saw a SWAT team coming at us," Miller said. "They immediately, when they approached, they said, 'We're Asheville Police Department, and you guys need to leave.' They grabbed us by the shoulders and pushed out of the alleyway where we were trying to provide medical support."

She said they had a verbal agreement with APD to be present, even after curfew.

Some of the medics had bruises and felt the effects of tear gas, but no one was seriously injured. They lost at least $700 in supplies, Miller said.

Officers didn't give them an explanation for the destruction, she said.

by Anonymousreply 258June 7, 2020 8:04 PM

That is evil and outrageous r252. Just a couple of bad apples my ass. It’s a culture of abuse with cops. So hard to find respect for police.

by Anonymousreply 259June 7, 2020 8:24 PM

The rethugs are literally killing the American citizens now.

At what point do we throw them all out?

by Anonymousreply 260June 7, 2020 8:36 PM

NBC News: Florida reported more than 1,000 confirmed cases on Saturday, the fourth straight day of cases hitting that threshold as the state continues with its reopening plan.

The Florida Department of Health reported 1,270 new cases Saturday and another 28 deaths, bringing the state's total to 62,758 cases. More than 5,000 cases have been confirmed in the state between Wednesday and Saturday.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis chose to go ahead with the second phase of the state's reopening plan Friday despite the new numbers. As of Friday places such as movie theaters, concert houses, auditoriums, playhouses, bowling alleys and arcades can begin operating at a 50 percent capacity.

by Anonymousreply 261June 7, 2020 9:35 PM

And that’s why Florida is perfect for our beautiful Republican mouth breather convention. The US is still #1 in deaths. #MAGA

by Anonymousreply 262June 7, 2020 9:53 PM

[quote]Florida reported more than 1,000 confirmed cases on Saturday, the fourth straight day of cases hitting that threshold as the state continues with its reopening plan.

Full speed ahead!

by Anonymousreply 263June 7, 2020 9:56 PM

⏳ CORONA TIME ~ JUNE 7 ~ 6:05 PM EST

🎗️ NATIONAL CANCER SURVIVORS DAY

🇨🇦 CANADIAN ARMED FORCES DAY

🌎 GLOBAL

CASES: 7,063,893

DEATHS: 404,566

CRITICAL: 53,665

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 2,005,524

DEATHS: 112,448

CRITICAL: 16,915

by Anonymousreply 264June 7, 2020 10:03 PM

Multiply those Florida numbers by at least 10x.

by Anonymousreply 265June 7, 2020 10:30 PM

[quote]Multiply those Florida numbers by at least 10x.

Wow! Times 10?

Their hospitals must be really overrun. Shortages of protective gear. Not enough staff. Not enough hospital beds. . Not enough ventilators.

Meanwhile...

"Two Miami-Dade COVID hospitals haven’t treated a single patient. One closed this week."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266June 7, 2020 10:42 PM

Florida is probably shuffling their patients to a " Covid Treatment Center" formerly known as nursing homes.

by Anonymousreply 267June 8, 2020 3:06 AM

R265 Correct. Gov. De Santis has ordered COVID deaths are "privileged private" information and will not be reported. Florida is the Brazil of America.

by Anonymousreply 268June 8, 2020 3:07 AM

I may be a closeted, meth-y, drunk whore, but at least I'm not Ron De Santis!

by Anonymousreply 269June 8, 2020 3:15 AM

Thousands gather in Philly to protest. I'll be watching the daily infections in the next few weeks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270June 8, 2020 9:52 AM

Coronavirus cases are increasing in 22 states and Puerto Rico, with sharp spikes in states like Arizona, Arkansas and South Carolina.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271June 8, 2020 11:56 AM

New Zealand has eliminated transmission of the coronavirus domestically and will lift all containment measures except for border controls, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said on Monday.

The South Pacific nation of about five million people is emerging from the pandemic while big economies such as Brazil, Britain, India and the United States grapple with the spreading virus.

This was largely due to 75 days of restrictions including about seven weeks of a strict lockdown in which most businesses were shut and everyone except essential workers had to stay at home.

It has been 17 days since the last new coronavirus case was reported in New Zealand. As of Monday, nobody in New Zealand was receiving hospital-level care for COVID-19. There were also zero new deaths attributed to the virus.

In total, New Zealand has confirmed just 1,154 cases and 22 deaths because of the coronavirus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272June 8, 2020 12:16 PM

Shutdown orders prevented about 60 million novel coronavirus infections in the United States and 285 million in China, according to a research study published Monday that examined how stay-at-home orders and other restrictions limited the spread of the contagion.

A separate study from epidemiologists at Imperial College London estimated that the shutdowns saved about 3.1 million lives in 11 European countries, including 500,000 in the United Kingdom, and dropped infection rates by an average of 82 percent, sufficient to drive the contagion well below epidemic levels.

The two reports, published Monday in the journal Nature, provide fresh evidence that aggressive and unprecedented shutdowns, which caused massive economic disruptions and job losses, were necessary to halt the exponential spread of the novel coronavirus.

But the overwhelming majority of people remain susceptible to the virus. Only about 3 to 4 percent of people in the countries being studied have been infected to date.

“This is just the beginning of the epidemic: we’re very far from herd immunity,” Bsaid Samir Bhatt, senior author of the Imperial College London study. “The risk of a second wave happening if all interventions and precautions are abandoned is very real.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273June 8, 2020 12:25 PM

(New Zealand shouldn't brag. It's easy to contain a virus when the country is an island in the middle of nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 274June 8, 2020 12:29 PM

Dramatic spikes in auto traffic around major hospitals in Wuhan last fall suggest the novel coronavirus may have been present and spreading through central China long before the outbreak was first reported to the world, according to a new Harvard Medical School study.

Using techniques similar to those employed by intelligence agencies, the research team behind the study analyzed commercial satellite imagery and "observed a dramatic increase in hospital traffic outside five major Wuhan hospitals beginning late summer and early fall 2019," according to Dr. John Brownstein, the Harvard Medical professor who led the research.

Brownstein, an ABC News contributor, said the traffic increase also "coincided with" elevated queries on a Chinese internet search for "certain symptoms that would later be determined as closely associated with the novel coronavirus."

“Something was happening in October,” said Brownstein, the chief innovation officer at Boston Children’s Hospital and director of the medical center’s Computational Epidemiology Lab. “Clearly, there was some level of social disruption taking place well before what was previously identified as the start of the novel coronavirus pandemic.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275June 8, 2020 12:55 PM

The federal administration has access to that satellite data and has had it since last year?

Why was the U.S. covering up China’s activity as late as last fall?

The U.S. could see the parking lots filling up and did NOTHING? The president was still denying it in March!

This is an outrage.

The administration could have given the american citizens a warning in 2019. Instead they let it happen.

by Anonymousreply 276June 8, 2020 1:02 PM

CNN: The US government's current supply of remdesivir, the only drug known to work against Covid-19, will run out at the end of the month.

The government's last shipment of the drug will go out the week of June 29. Gilead Sciences, the company that makes the drug, is ramping up to make more, but it's unclear how much will be available this summer.

The government has been working to help Gilead "with some of their supply chain challenges in terms of raw materials and being able to accelerate the process," said Dr. Robert Kadlec, the HHS assistant secretary for preparedness and response.

He added that it's clear that "whatever the supply may be, there may not be enough for everyone who may need it."

by Anonymousreply 277June 8, 2020 1:14 PM

Big suprise. The administration fumbled again.

The 3 stooges could have handled the pandemic better than republicans.

by Anonymousreply 278June 8, 2020 1:17 PM

⏳ CORONA TIME ~ JUNE 8 ~ 10:45 AM EST

🌊 WORLD OCEAN DAY

🥃 NAME YOUR POISON DAY

GLOBAL:

CASES: 7,124,043

DEATHS: 406,788

CRITICAL: 53,908

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 2,009,004

DEATHS: 112,514

CRITICAL: 16,923

by Anonymousreply 279June 8, 2020 2:49 PM

r270, yes, and pulling your pud the whole time. Creep.

by Anonymousreply 280June 8, 2020 2:51 PM

All these people crushed together on the protests. These hoes will all get the virus and infect others. Numbers are going to be insane two weeks from now.

by Anonymousreply 281June 8, 2020 3:07 PM

Everyone will be eyeballing the numbers. Between summer holidays, protesting, and a relaxed attitude toward Corona, the numbers will skyrocket.

We're already seeing the rise, and we're just into June.

by Anonymousreply 282June 8, 2020 5:36 PM

Were it not for my fear of Covid19, I would have been out marching as well.

by Anonymousreply 283June 8, 2020 5:38 PM

R282 Coronavirus Freakout #??: Died on the 4th of July

by Anonymousreply 284June 8, 2020 5:44 PM

Amen R283! Instead I am doing what I can to provide moral support and encourage the protesters amongst my circle to go get tested.

by Anonymousreply 285June 8, 2020 5:47 PM

Reuters:

WHO head urges world not to drop guard as pandemic still growing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286June 8, 2020 5:51 PM

I’m really sick of hearing about New fucking Zealand. Who the fuck cares? Like R274 pointed out it’s a small island in the middle of fucking nowhere. Big fucking deal it’s a success story.

by Anonymousreply 287June 8, 2020 5:52 PM

R285, and it needs to be reiterated that there are a lot of people like us, older and more at risk, who wanted to be there. The numbers would have been much greater without Covid19.

by Anonymousreply 288June 8, 2020 6:04 PM

WHO says asymptomatic spread of covid-19 is "very rare."

Coronavirus patients without symptoms aren’t driving the spread of the virus, World Health Organization officials said Monday, casting doubt on concerns by some researchers that the disease could be difficult to contain due to asymptomatic infections.

Preliminary evidence from the earliest outbreaks indicated that the virus could spread from person-to-person contact, even if the carrier didn’t have symptoms. But WHO officials now say that while asymptomatic spread can occur, it is not the main way it’s being transmitted.

"We have a number of reports from countries who are doing very detailed contact tracing," said Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO's emerging diseases and zoonosis unit. "They're following asymptomatic cases. They're following contacts. And they're not finding secondary transmission onward. It's very rare."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289June 8, 2020 6:16 PM

That’s interesting, R289. I wonder why.

by Anonymousreply 290June 8, 2020 6:36 PM

If the cops would have let people social distance then they would have been safer.

Instead they chose to close them in like cattle.

And then to trash the medic stations was just medieval

by Anonymousreply 291June 8, 2020 6:45 PM

So much new information. I wish Fauci and CDC would do a joint news conference to update the public.

by Anonymousreply 292June 8, 2020 6:47 PM

The cops weren't always around when looters were helping themselves to what ever they could carry. Yet the looters did not appear to be the least bit concerned about practicing social distancing while selecting a new pair of Nikes or a Gucci watch.

Protestor knew what it was going to be like with large groups of people gathering in the streets. It was their choice to put themselves out there amidst the chaos. Like it or not, they are responsible for their own choices.

by Anonymousreply 293June 8, 2020 6:54 PM

[quote]If the cops would have let people social distance then they would have been safer. nstead they chose to close them in like cattle.

Bullshit.

There may have been some of that but mostly people were happy to crowd together, shout and chant.

Sometimes you just have to take responsibility for your own reckless behavior.

by Anonymousreply 294June 8, 2020 6:55 PM

WHO is full of shit!!! They are a joke. They waited until now to U-turn about masks and now this. ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 295June 8, 2020 7:01 PM

Yeah, I'm going to need someone legit to confirm R289 because WHO lost all credibility months ago.

by Anonymousreply 296June 8, 2020 7:10 PM

🤔 The WHO doesn't know WHAT they're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 297June 8, 2020 7:34 PM

The cops want all the protesters to catch the virus, especially as blacks and Asians are more vulnerable to serious illness and death.

by Anonymousreply 298June 8, 2020 7:42 PM

Somehow Brazil's death toll for today has decreased from +800 to +100 according to Worldometer. How does that work? It has been +800 for around 20 hrs today before the sudden change. Their total deaths have also decreased from 37K to 36K.

by Anonymousreply 299June 8, 2020 8:49 PM

Here is the explanation from Worldometer. Yeah right.

2,154 new cases and 103 new deaths in Brazil. The Ministry of Health lowered cases and deaths figures after taking into account duplications. We've adjusted our numbers accordingly [source] [source]

by Anonymousreply 300June 8, 2020 8:58 PM

What horse shit is that?

by Anonymousreply 301June 8, 2020 9:46 PM

Is there an Official Corona Dance yet?

by Anonymousreply 302June 8, 2020 11:32 PM

⏳ CORONA TIME ~ JUNE 8 ~ 7:45 PM EST

🌊 WORLD OCEAN DAY

🥃 NAME YOUR POISON DAY

🌎 GLOBAL

CASES: 7,188,679

DEATHS: 408,230

CRITICAL: 53,783

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 2,025,891

DEATHS: 113,050

CRITICAL: 16,904

by Anonymousreply 303June 8, 2020 11:41 PM

Very good news. There's really no need to keep schools and colleges closed any longer:

Asymptomatic spread of coronavirus is ‘very rare,’ WHO says

Government responses should focus on detecting and isolating infected people with symptoms, the World Health Organization said.

Preliminary evidence from the earliest outbreaks indicated the virus could spread even if people didn’t have symptoms.

But the WHO says that while asymptomatic spread can occur, it is “very rare.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304June 8, 2020 11:58 PM

[quote] Asymptomatic spread of coronavirus is ‘very rare,’ WHO says

Turns out that wasn’t an official WHO statement. And the doctor who said it later clarified that she meant people with absolutely no symptoms at all. There are plenty of people with very mild symptoms — a headache or sore eyes or an upset stomach for a few hours — that can still transmit the virus.

by Anonymousreply 305June 9, 2020 1:06 AM

Has this thread been infected with Corona ?

by Anonymousreply 306June 9, 2020 1:23 AM

[quote]"We have a number of reports from countries who are doing very detailed contact tracing," said Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO's emerging diseases and zoonosis unit. "They're following asymptomatic cases. They're following contacts. And they're not finding secondary transmission onward. It's very rare."

How, exactly, does one contact trace asymptomatic people? I thought testing was still an issue in most places in the world. Unless they are testing everyone and then contact tracing both those who are sick and those who are asymptomatic, this doesn't make sense. Would they really have the resources to not only test everyone but also contact trace every single person, even without symptoms? I know we in the US aren't able to do it and I don't think anywhere in Europe is able to do it. Is this all based on South Korea and Hong Kong or something?

by Anonymousreply 307June 9, 2020 2:06 AM

Guardian-South America’s worst affected country now has 707,412 and deaths recorded are 37,134. It marks a continuing steep rise – Brazil recorded 500,000 cases on 1 June. A leading newspaper in the country reported that Brazil’s health ministry slashed the number of new Covid-19 deaths it reported on Sunday by 857 because far-right president Jair Bolsonaro wanted less than a thousand deaths a day. The Guardian’s Dom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro writes: On Sunday the health ministry said 1,382 deaths had been recorded in the previous 24 hours, but later corrected it down to 525. On Monday the Estado de S.Paulo newspaper reported that the correction was ordered because Bolsonaro wanted the number of deaths at less than a thousand a day. He has vociferously attacked social isolation and notoriously quipped “so what?” to the rising death toll in April. To accommodate him, the health ministry separated out all the deaths reported over 24 hours – as it had been doing for months – and began including only deaths that had actually occurred during the last day. The correction came two days after the Ministry stopped releasing accumulated cases and deaths in a daily bulletin and wiped a government site clean of data – a move also reportedly ordered by Bolsonaro that provoked widespread condemnation.

by Anonymousreply 308June 9, 2020 4:30 AM

No new deaths recorded in London in the last two days! It's hitting the north west of the UK now.

by Anonymousreply 309June 9, 2020 7:51 AM

State health director tells Arizona hospitals to 'fully activate' emergency plans.

COVID-19 numbers in Arizona have jumped, hospitalizations have increased and so has the percentage of positive COVID-19 tests

As a result, the state health director sent a letter on June 6 asking hospitals to prepare for crisis care, and to suspend elective surgeries if they are experiencing a shortage of staff or bed capacity.

The letter was sent on the day after the chief clinical officer of Arizona's largest health system — Banner Health — said ICU bed occupancy was growing, and that if current trends continued would exceed capacity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310June 9, 2020 11:50 AM

R307 I don't know about other countries but in France it seems like access to testing is no longer an issue and we're testing more widely than we used to. People who were in contact with a confirmed case get tested whether they have symptoms or not. So that's probably how asymptomatic cases are identified.

by Anonymousreply 311June 9, 2020 11:53 AM

And they probably just test people who are in close contact with those asymptomatic cases, like family or coworkers.

by Anonymousreply 312June 9, 2020 11:57 AM

At 9 am EST this morning, the WHO is planning a live stream across social media to attempt to clarify their knowledge of symptomatic and pre-symptomatic spread.

by Anonymousreply 313June 9, 2020 12:00 PM

CNBC: Texas reported a record number of coronavirus hospitalizations Monday — weeks after Gov. Greg Abbott took the lead among governors in easing social distancing measures to help bring jobs back.

There are currently 1,935 Covid-19 patients in hospitals across the state, topping the previous hospitalization record of 1,888 patients on May 5.

Texas was among the first states to relax its statewide stay-at-home order, allowing it to expire April 30 and some businesses to resume operations May 1.

by Anonymousreply 314June 9, 2020 12:46 PM

From this morning's press conference: The WHO "regrets" saying asymptomatic transmission is "very rare." Says 40% of transmissions may be through asymptomatic transmission, per models.

"When our personnel are speaking at press conferences don’t make the mistake of assuming they are speaking for the WHO."

What a shitshow.

by Anonymousreply 315June 9, 2020 2:08 PM

R315: THAT is why I don't listen to anything they say about masks, risks or anything else!

by Anonymousreply 316June 9, 2020 2:11 PM

Lady Colin Campbell read the WHO and its despicable leader for filth on her weird but fascinating 100K+ viewer video podcast weeks ago. I guess a lot of people hate on her (I’m not British) but she called it. She also says China should be sanctioned and another Nuremberg wouldn’t be totally inappropriate to get to the bottom of China’s nefarious acts. Controversial opinions but something to consider.

by Anonymousreply 317June 9, 2020 2:42 PM

⏳ CORONA TIME ~ JUNE 9 ~ 11:45 AM EST

😿 PET MEMORIAL DAY

🍷 NATIONAL ROSÉ DAY

🌎 GLOBAL

CASES: 7,238,484

DEATHS: 409,644

CRITICAL: 53,872

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 2,029,837

DEATHS: 113,235

CRITICAL: 16,907

😷 ⬅️ MASK : DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT !

STATS @ WORLDOMETER.COM

by Anonymousreply 318June 9, 2020 3:45 PM

Arizona was on the short list as a possible location for the Republican National Convention, after they were booted out of North Carolina.

Considering Arizona's elevated numbers, it doesn't sound like the ideal place to be.

But then again, they are Republicans . . . . . . .

by Anonymousreply 319June 9, 2020 4:38 PM

Brazil has already reported 528 deaths so far today according to Worldometer. Not a good sign as most of their figures are reported late in the day after their evening news broadcasts. Curious to see how they doctor the numbers later on...

by Anonymousreply 320June 9, 2020 4:40 PM

Sometimes the truth wins

Guardian-A supreme court judge in Brazil has ordered Jair Bolsonaro’s administration to resume publishing complete Covid-19 statistics after moves to suppress such information prompted accusations of authoritarian skulduggery designed to cover up the crisis, write Tom Phillips and Caio Barreto Bristo in Rio De Janeiro. The Brazilian government sparked outrage on Saturday by purging the health ministry website of historical data relating to the pandemic and announcing it would stop publishing the cumulative death toll or number of infections. Officials claimed the changes would help “refine” official coronavirus data. But critics attacked what they called an illiberal ruse to conceal the severity of the pandemic’s impact in Brazil, where more than 37,000 lives have been lost. Some drew parallels with the suppression of information in authoritarian countries such as North Korea and Venezuela while others recalled how Brazil’s own military regime had covered up a meningitis epidemic in the 1970s, with devastating consequences. On Monday night, supreme court justice Alexandre de Moraes reportedly gave Bolsonaro’s administration a 48-hour deadline to begin releasing the full figures again each day, after a legal challenge from two opposition parties.

by Anonymousreply 321June 9, 2020 5:15 PM

Study of the USS Theodore Roosevelt sailors

[quote] Among a convenience sample of 382 young adult U.S. service members aboard an aircraft carrier experiencing a COVID-19 outbreak, 60% had reactive antibodies, and 59% of those also had neutralizing antibodies at the time of specimen collection. One fifth of infected participants reported no symptoms. Preventive measures, such as using face coverings and observing social distancing, reduced risk for infection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322June 9, 2020 6:35 PM

R321: Now, will our USA Supreme Court do the same (for the same reasons)?

by Anonymousreply 323June 9, 2020 6:41 PM

WHO Raises Questions Over Asymptomatic Spread | Morning Joe | MSNBC

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324June 9, 2020 7:04 PM

R323 I wouldn't count on it. But fortunately this is still a democracy even with Trump. The freedom of the states and the press is real. Deaths and cases will still be reported, even if under reported in some red states and the press will continue to investigate excess deaths relative to COVID-19 deaths as a whole. There is no escaping the truth one way or another.

by Anonymousreply 325June 9, 2020 8:17 PM

23andMe study suggests blood type affects coronavirus susceptibility

Early results of a new study conducted by genetic testing giant 23andMe suggest a person’s blood type affects how susceptible they are to the coronavirus — and that those with Type O appear to be the least at risk.

Preliminary data from the study — which is still underway and includes 750,000 participants, including 10,000 who told the company they had COVID-19 — indicates that people with Type O blood are between 9 and 18 percent less likely than those with other blood types to have tested positive for the disease.

There appeared to be little difference among other blood types, according to the research, which only examined susceptibility and not severity of the illness.

The findings hold when adjusted for age, body mass index, ethnicity and other existing diseases, as well as when the data is narrowed down to only health care workers and other first responders, according to the company.

A European study published last week also found Type O is associated with a lower risk — and patients with Type A blood are 50 percent more likely to need oxygen or require a ventilator.

The preliminary 23andMe investigation, which was launched in April and is still recruiting additional participants — also indicates that a DNA sequence variation in the ABO gene, which influences blood type, is associated with a lower risk for COVID-19.

While the findings are compelling, 23andMe lead researcher Adam Auton told Bloomberg News that a lot more work still needs to be done.

“It’s early days; even with these sample sizes, it might not be enough to find genetic associations,” he said. “We’re not the only group looking at this, and ultimately the scientific community may need to pool their resources to really address questions surrounding the links between genetics and COVID-19.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326June 9, 2020 10:14 PM

California (3000+), Texas (1700+) and Florida (1000+) have large case increases today... I hope Rachel Maddow points this out tonight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327June 10, 2020 12:00 AM

Damn - Texas just jumped to 1900+ new cases!

by Anonymousreply 328June 10, 2020 12:01 AM

Heat and sunlight will make it go away.

by Anonymousreply 329June 10, 2020 12:03 AM

Is anybody hawking sunlamps as a snake oil cure yet?

by Anonymousreply 330June 10, 2020 12:15 AM

Fake News!

by Anonymousreply 331June 10, 2020 12:26 AM

⏳ CORONA TIME ~ JUNE 9 ~ 8:45 PM EST

😿 PET MEMORIAL DAY

🍷 NATIONAL ROSÉ DAY

🌎 GLOBAL

CASES: 7,311,660

DEATHS: 412,977

CRITICAL: 54,021

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 2,045,549

DEATHS: 114,248

CRITICAL: 16,955

by Anonymousreply 332June 10, 2020 12:43 AM

🔬 Nobody knows nothin' bout the Corona.

by Anonymousreply 333June 10, 2020 12:51 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334June 10, 2020 12:52 AM

Oh shit! California is now the leading Covid state with 3k new cases and 96 deaths. Texas is clearly buttering those numbers.

by Anonymousreply 335June 10, 2020 12:55 AM

But NYC numbers are down so it’s over! PnP at my place, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 336June 10, 2020 1:02 AM

R336, and you are just starting to open now...in more ways than one, it seems.

by Anonymousreply 337June 10, 2020 2:44 AM

Cases increasing in LA county. Sorry, Governor Newsom, TV and film production in LA won’t be starting up again anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 338June 10, 2020 4:20 AM

Sorry, people need to work and to earn a living. The economy needs to be open for business.

Out of a population of 40 million, the cases are negligible at best.

by Anonymousreply 339June 10, 2020 4:27 AM

Will someone please turn over R339's car and shit on it?

by Anonymousreply 340June 10, 2020 4:35 AM

r334- it needs to be a 3/4 bubble head per seat.

by Anonymousreply 341June 10, 2020 4:47 AM

I enjoyed blocking R339 so much it almost felt like a crime.

by Anonymousreply 342June 10, 2020 4:57 AM

Since the protests people are done in LA. It was 96 degrees today, the masks were off, and people are out. I had my first grindr fuck in 3.5 months. It was a really flip fuck and I needed it! For better or worse, even if the numbers spike people won't go back to quarantine. The news is so contradictory now that everyones head is spinning. I'm really surprised how quickly this all got abandoned by even the most stead fast.

by Anonymousreply 343June 10, 2020 5:15 AM

I hope r343, that you were wearing a mask, gloves, and a condom.

And you washed your hands afterword.

by Anonymousreply 344June 10, 2020 6:06 AM

No one I know except my Trumptard brother has eased up at all. We're all at work with masks on and six feet apart. But, then again, I don't allow idiots in my life.

by Anonymousreply 345June 10, 2020 6:21 AM

Don't worry, the sun will kill it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346June 10, 2020 12:07 PM

Damn Sylvia. I was hoping the link was to a picture of Trump.

by Anonymousreply 347June 10, 2020 12:13 PM

R344, he didn't write a novel.

by Anonymousreply 348June 10, 2020 12:27 PM

The sun kills vampires.

Trump is more like [italic] The Blob.

by Anonymousreply 349June 10, 2020 1:36 PM

Nah he's Tinkerbell. If we stop clapping and ignore him, he'd die.

by Anonymousreply 350June 10, 2020 1:57 PM

White House goes quiet on coronavirus as outbreak spikes again across the U.S.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351June 10, 2020 3:18 PM

⏳ CORONA TIME ~ JUNE 10 ~ 11:20 AM EST

👤 ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS FOUNDERS DAY

🍺 NATIONAL ROOT BEER FLOAT DAY

🌎 GLOBAL

CASES: 7,362,561

DEATHS: 414,566

CRITICAL: 53,951

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 2,048,518

DEATHS,:114,255

CRITICAL: 16,875

🌡️ STAY COOL !

by Anonymousreply 352June 10, 2020 3:20 PM

Fauci now says Covid19 has proven to be his worst nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 353June 10, 2020 3:25 PM

R352 is a disgusting piece of racist right-wing division trash.

God knows the angle here but don’t trust it.

It was promoting Hillary conspiracies and various and sundry right-wing fodder.

FF it to oblivion.

by Anonymousreply 354June 10, 2020 3:29 PM

r352 is already blocked on my feed. He/she/it must have been a real asshole.

by Anonymousreply 355June 10, 2020 3:30 PM

I don’t get why these right-wing consparicy nuts want to come to gay sites and harass us. I guess the covid count is his way of rubbing the deaths in our faces?

It was the republicans fault to begin with for ignoring science.

by Anonymousreply 356June 10, 2020 3:31 PM

All the people who were pushing Hillary conspiracies should be held accountable for ushering in the current fascist administration and all its carnage. They have massacred the elderly and sick, while locking babies in cages and ordering the military to beat and gas their citizens.

This isn’t a joke anymore. All the people who brought this on should face the consequences.

They are deleting their social media and trying to scrub their anti-Hillary past but there will be a reckoning.

by Anonymousreply 357June 10, 2020 3:35 PM

R352 keeps trying to sneak back in here after being kicked out of the other 40 threads over and over.

It is not wanted here. Nor needed. It’s just stinking up the place.

by Anonymousreply 358June 10, 2020 3:39 PM

😍 R354 has a massive hard on for the Corona Poll Troll.

R355 has joined the party.

by Anonymousreply 359June 10, 2020 3:39 PM

[quote]a massive hard on for the Corona Poll Troll.

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 360June 10, 2020 4:28 PM

The CPT is now welcome here. These are the people that ushered in this fascism with glee and love to see the destruction of democratic values.

by Anonymousreply 361June 10, 2020 4:37 PM

Things are starting to take off in India. 12K cases "reported " today and +387 deaths. True figures are most likely much higher due to their testing problems

by Anonymousreply 362June 10, 2020 5:43 PM

As if India couldn’t be plunged into further levels of poverty. We could be looking at Bangladesh-style famine before too long.

by Anonymousreply 363June 10, 2020 5:53 PM

In reality, I imagine that this is the 2nd worst nightmare for Fauci. Surely working for and lying for Trump has to be #1

by Anonymousreply 364June 10, 2020 5:53 PM

NBC:

Dr. Fauci says coronavirus pandemic is his 'worst nightmare' and 'isn't over yet'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 365June 10, 2020 6:00 PM

Wasn't this supposed to be over by Easter? Of what year????

by Anonymousreply 366June 10, 2020 6:16 PM

🤒 Once again, the theory about hot weather destroying the Covid virus is debunked. Even in the US, the numbers are spiking in southern states.

Corona a still a brand new baby.

by Anonymousreply 367June 10, 2020 6:37 PM

The Guardian: The outgoing president of Burundi has died of a sudden illness, suspected by many to be Covid-19.

The cause of Pierre Nkurunziza’s death was described as a heart attack in a government statement. The 55-year-old was due to stand down in August following elections last month.

It was unclear exactly when he died. A government statement said the president, a keen sports enthusiast, had attended a game of volleyball on Saturday but fell ill that night and was taken to hospital.

Nkurunziza had refused to impose restrictions in the small and poor African country, allowing sporting events and mass political rallies to go ahead.

Speculation about the cause of his death has been fuelled by unconfirmed reports that his wife was flown to Nairobi, the Kenyan capital, 10 days ago after contracting Covid-19.

by Anonymousreply 368June 10, 2020 7:50 PM

Reuters:

U.S. coronavirus cases now over 2 million: Reuters tally

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369June 10, 2020 8:29 PM

[quote]Dr. Fauci says coronavirus pandemic is his 'worst nightmare' and 'isn't over yet'

Fauci has been trying to play both sides lately. Just a few days ago he was saying that the US had all but defeated it and it was time to reopen everything. I don't know if I trust him anymore.

by Anonymousreply 370June 10, 2020 8:38 PM

Where has Fauci been?

Hiding out in the bunker with Don Jr. and Eric?

by Anonymousreply 371June 10, 2020 8:42 PM

What about Dr. Burka and her collection of swaddling scarves?

Has she been given a lateral promotion?

by Anonymousreply 372June 10, 2020 8:45 PM

[quote]Just a few days ago he was saying that the US had all but defeated it

Link please. I know he said the U.S. had to reopen -- though he wasn't happy with the way many states were doing it -- but I read/heard nothing about him saying it was "all but defeated."

by Anonymousreply 373June 10, 2020 8:54 PM

Former Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. said Wednesday he’s tested positive for COVID-19.

One of four Republican candidates for governor on the June 30 primary ballot, Huntsman tweeted he has “been experiencing classic symptoms ... like so many others, my goal is to keep my family safe. Though isolated temporarily, we’ve never been more energized in this important race for Governor. The work goes on!”

He had tested negative for the novel coronavirus shortly before a gubernatorial candidate forum last month, and was tested again last Friday after a staffer was confirmed to have the disease. He was initially notified his results were negative, then told that it was the “wrong” result, and later, that his test sample had been destroyed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 374June 10, 2020 8:56 PM

As I said, Fauci is playing both sides and has been since the start. He's not about to give up his cushy job.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375June 10, 2020 9:11 PM

That Forbes article is so dumb:

"The scientist and member of President Trump’s coronavirus task force, who has long been advocating a cautious approach to the country’s reopening, delivered some made-for-headline soundbites that raised lots of eyebrows, including his statement that extended stay-at-home orders could cause the U.S. ‘irreparable damage.’"

What is in any way "eyebrow raising" by saying that "extended stay-at-home orders could cause the U.S. ‘irreparable damage."

by Anonymousreply 376June 10, 2020 9:18 PM

💰 For Trump, it's always been about the Almighty Dollar.

He must be losing a ton of cash on his business ventures.

🤣 [italic] Too Bad ....... $o $ad !

by Anonymousreply 377June 10, 2020 10:41 PM

It looks like the reopening/Memorial Day cases are rising.

New Cases - Top 5 states:

California +2,392

Texas +1,585

Arizona +1,556

Florida +1,371

North Carolina +1,167

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 378June 10, 2020 10:54 PM

The long, hot, infectious summer of 2020.

by Anonymousreply 379June 10, 2020 11:16 PM

⏳ CORONA TIME ~ JUNE 10 ~ 7:25 PM EST

👤 ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS FOUNDERS DAY

🍺 NATIONAL ROOT BEER FLOAT DAY

🌎 GLOBAL

CASES: 7,443,931

DEATHS: 418,107

CRITICAL: 53,813

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 2,064,904

DEATHS: 115,110

CRITICAL: 16,843

😍 HAVE AN ABOVE AVERAGE EVENING !

by Anonymousreply 380June 10, 2020 11:25 PM

Mostly states that are warm year round and all have a coastline except Arizona - how much of this was caused by the "I wanna go to the beach!" crowd

by Anonymousreply 381June 11, 2020 12:26 AM

Bald men at higher risk of severe case of Covid-19, research finds

Researchers suggested that baldness should be considered a risk factor,

[quote] The lead author of the key study behind the association, Professor Carlos Wambier of Brown University, told The Telegraph: "We really think that baldness is a perfect predictor of severity."

[quote] The trials follow two small studies in Spain led by Professor Wambier, which found that a disproportionately high number of men with male pattern baldness were admitted to hospital with Covid-19.

[quote] In one study, 79 per cent of the men suffering with Covid-19 in three Madrid hospitals were bald. The study of 122 patients, published in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, followed an earlier piece of work among 41 patients in Spanish hospitals, which found 71 per cent were bald. The background rate of baldness in white men of a similar age to the patients studied is between 31-53 per cent. A similar correlation was found in the study among the smaller numbers of women with hair loss linked to androgens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 382June 11, 2020 12:32 AM

Well, I'm fucked.

by Anonymousreply 383June 11, 2020 12:33 AM

A Harvard doctor tells CNN that another 100,000 Americans will die of the virus by Labor Day.

And the nation shrugs its collective shoulders.

I’m old enough to remember when everyone was shocked and horrified by 10,000 coronavirus deaths. But 100,000 made barely a dent in our collective psyche.

by Anonymousreply 384June 11, 2020 12:38 AM

Shit, that's a lot for a small state like North Carolina.

by Anonymousreply 385June 11, 2020 12:38 AM

So where does that leave women who are balding?

There are far more of them losing hairthan there ever were.

by Anonymousreply 386June 11, 2020 12:40 AM

So am I, r383!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 387June 11, 2020 12:40 AM

[quote] So where does that leave women who are balding?

From the article: A similar correlation was found in the study among the smaller numbers of women with hair loss linked to androgens.

by Anonymousreply 388June 11, 2020 12:42 AM

I have JFK jr hair but this doesn't make me feel safe.

by Anonymousreply 389June 11, 2020 12:44 AM

[quote] Well, I'm fucked.

Researchers are working to de-fuck you.

[quote] A study from Veneto, Italy, of 9,280 patients found that men with prostate cancer who were on androgen-deprivation therapy - drugs that cut testosterone levels - were only a quarter as likely to contract Covid-19 as men with the disease who were on other treatments.

[quote] Karen Stalbow, Head of Policy at Prostate Cancer UK, said: “There have been several recent pieces of research which indicate there may be a link between male hormones and increased risk of Covid-19. This has led some researchers to investigate whether hormone therapies commonly used to treat prostate cancer, such as enzalutamide, could reduce this risk.

by Anonymousreply 390June 11, 2020 12:45 AM

I dunno, when I fully embraced my daddy status, it did wonders for my sex life. I may be willing to risk COVID.

by Anonymousreply 391June 11, 2020 12:47 AM

Are they going to issue another round of stimulus for individuals?

Companies and high earners got tons of money in the tax breaks but individuals only get $1200?

by Anonymousreply 392June 11, 2020 12:47 AM

[quote]A Covid-19 vaccine will be in short supply globally, once it has been developed. Dr. Richard Hatchett, CEO of the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations said it will be “several years” before everyone who wants a vaccine will be able to get one.

by Anonymousreply 393June 11, 2020 1:53 AM

What a debacle. The administration could have stopped this in November.

If only it had been reasonable people in charge.

by Anonymousreply 394June 11, 2020 2:03 AM

Oy, sounds like they are grasping at straws with their "findings".

by Anonymousreply 395June 11, 2020 2:22 AM

Ok, so if people suspect the current spikes in several states are a result of Memorial Day, will we also get new cases from the protests? Lots of people were responsible and wore masks, but there was hardly any social distancing. Will we see massive new infections in two weeks in Washington, NY etc?

by Anonymousreply 396June 11, 2020 3:29 AM

No, Rose. We will be the New Zealand of the west.

Of course we will see a spike! I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing 3k deaths a day by the end of the month.

by Anonymousreply 397June 11, 2020 3:48 AM

Look who's not wearing a mask

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398June 11, 2020 3:57 AM

All it takes is one infected person at your Father's Day Barbeque.

Or your Fourth of July Blowout.

Or the Labor Day Picnic.

Yes, numbers are going to spike.

I know it's a bitch in the summertime heat, but keep wearing those masks.

by Anonymousreply 399June 11, 2020 4:28 AM

Guardian-Reuters reports that a potential coronavirus vaccine developed in China has shown promising results in animals: The vaccine, developed by Chinese researchers, showed promise in trials in monkeys, triggering antibodies and raising no safety issues, researchers said, and a human trial with more than 1,000 participants is under way. The vaccine candidate, called BBIBP-CorV, induced high-level neutralising antibodies that can block the virus from infecting cells in monkeys, rats, guinea pigs and rabbits, researchers said in a paper published in online by the medical journal Cell on Saturday.

by Anonymousreply 400June 11, 2020 4:51 AM

I don't trust the safety of any vaccine from China

by Anonymousreply 401June 11, 2020 4:54 AM

Guardian-US airlines carried 3 million passengers in April, a staggering 96% decline from April 2019 amid the coronavirus pandemic and flight restrictions, the Transportation Department said on Wednesday. The department said US airlines carried about 2.8 million domestic passengers and 132,000 international passengers. International passengers fell 99% over April 2019 as the U.S. imposed flight restrictions on many international visitors.Total US airline passengers were the lowest since 1974 when the government began collecting monthly data. By comparison, there were 76.1 million total U.S. airline passengers in April 2019. The previous low recorded was 14.6 million passengers in February 1975. Passenger traffic has recently risen from April lows and fell only 85% in the week ending June 7, while total flights are down 72%. Airlines for America, an industry trade group, said demand for future air travel remains down 82% and revenue for future flights is down 92%.

by Anonymousreply 402June 11, 2020 5:01 AM

Latin America’s coronavirus crisis reached a grim new milestone on Wednesday with total deaths exceeding 70,000, according to a Reuters count, as Mexico hit a daily record for confirmed infections. Brazil, with the largest economy in the region, remains Latin America’s most affected country as total fatalities are just shy of 40,000, the world’s third highest death toll after the United States and Britain.n the region’s second biggest country Mexico, a new daily record of 4,883 confirmed cases was reported by the health ministry, along with 708 additional fatalities. The daily totals bring Mexico’s overall official count to 129,184 infections and 15,357 deaths.

by Anonymousreply 403June 11, 2020 5:04 AM

Let them eat cake

Guardian-Donald Trump will hold a rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma, next Friday – his first since since states began shutting down in response to the coronavirus pandemic, which has claimed more than 110,000 lives in the US. The 19 June rally will likely rattle some public health experts, as coronavirus infections rise in about a dozen states. On Wednesday, the US approached nearly 2 million confirmed cases.

by Anonymousreply 404June 11, 2020 5:10 AM

The cops kept shoving and pushing everyone close together.

The protesters were trying to mostly distance and take precautions.

Between the gas irritating people’s lungs and the pinning of the groups by the officers, it could spell trouble.

by Anonymousreply 405June 11, 2020 6:06 AM

And then the head of the whole response team is running around with dirty, intrusive scarves that snake all around her body and into others personal space. And she didn’t even use the scarf to cover her face. And she looks like she hasn’t showered in days.

This is the most pathetic bunch of losers and they have totally given up. They are letting people die.

I think we are all in shock and don’t realize they are literally eating cake while hundreds of thousand are dying.

by Anonymousreply 406June 11, 2020 6:27 AM

You just know that lady does not wash her her scarves after every use.

by Anonymousreply 407June 11, 2020 6:29 AM

sksksksksk nyc is safe tho i alreddy hurd RAAAGE

by Anonymousreply 408June 11, 2020 9:12 AM

[quote]Well, I'm fucked.

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 409June 11, 2020 9:44 AM

[quote]The cops kept shoving and pushing everyone close together. The protesters were trying to mostly distance and take precautions.

As the deaths mount in 3-4 weeks, the "news" will be consumed with both sides blaming each other for it.

FWIW, I didn't see much social distancing in the protests I saw. Hard to distance yourself when you're marching through the streets alongside thousands of others. There were varying degrees of mask use but also a lot of yelling and chanting, with and without masks. That said, the police unquestionably made things worse.

by Anonymousreply 410June 11, 2020 12:00 PM

⏳ CORONA TIME ~ JUNE 11 ~ 9:40 AM EST

🌽 CORN ON THE COB DAY

🐳 JACQUES COUSTEAU DAY

🌎 GLOBAL

CASES: 7,493,436

DEATHS: 419,795

CRITICAL: 53,959

🇺🇸 UNITES STATES

CASES: 2,607,355

DEATHS: 115,163

CRITICAL: 16,838

🖐️ WASH YOUR HANDS !

by Anonymousreply 411June 11, 2020 1:38 PM

Is Trump REALLY having a rally on June 19th, aka Juneteenth??!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412June 11, 2020 2:03 PM

Trump is going to share the love and the Corona with his people?

He should really be more careful, he can't afford to lose any more voters.

by Anonymousreply 413June 11, 2020 2:27 PM

As coronavirus cases rise nationwide, public health experts urge caution

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414June 11, 2020 3:21 PM

[quote]public health experts urge caution

And the President of the U.S. says "It’s going to disappear. One day, it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.”

by Anonymousreply 415June 11, 2020 3:24 PM

R415, here's hoping TRUMP disappears!

by Anonymousreply 416June 11, 2020 3:40 PM

Like TONIGHT!

by Anonymousreply 417June 11, 2020 4:57 PM

Lolz

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418June 11, 2020 5:41 PM

[quote]CASES: 2,607,355

CNN just confirmed that we hit 2 million cases yesterday, so how are we up to 2.6 million a day later?

by Anonymousreply 419June 11, 2020 5:43 PM

^ We hit 2 million a long time ago, not just yesterday

by Anonymousreply 420June 11, 2020 5:53 PM

A mistake maybe? Worldometer is reporting 2.08 M cases as of now

by Anonymousreply 421June 11, 2020 5:53 PM

🙊 Sorry, that was my error. The official count @ 9:40 AM was 2,064,904.

by Anonymousreply 422June 11, 2020 5:58 PM

It's 2,076, 000 not 2.67 million

by Anonymousreply 423June 11, 2020 5:58 PM

Orange County, California just downgraded mask use from mandatory to suggested. Meanwhile, numbers are rising through the roof. Are we just now going to pretend COVID is over? Is that what's going to happen?

by Anonymousreply 424June 11, 2020 10:16 PM

For some reason this site won't let me link to it, but there's a story at The Hill saying that people who sign up for Trump's rally are given a disclaimer about potential Covid-19 exposure. So I guess he's acknowledging that it's not a hoax...

by Anonymousreply 425June 11, 2020 10:36 PM

R424, Arizona’s hospitals are at 80% capacity in the ICU thanks to Covid. So, I think Trump and Republicans will try to pretend it’s not happening, but when hospitals are out of beds, there will be a lot of hospital officials talking about it. Maybe people will care if there’s no bed for them and there are tents in the parking lot.

by Anonymousreply 426June 11, 2020 10:36 PM

R425, you're right, he did. They just mentioned it on MSNBC.

by Anonymousreply 427June 11, 2020 10:38 PM

I don't care if people get infected at my Klan rally, as long as I get to boost my ego

by Anonymousreply 428June 12, 2020 12:00 AM

Florida breaks record for new coronavirus cases recorded in a single day

The Sunshine’s State department of health reported 1,698 new COVID-19 infections — almost 20 percent higher than the previous daily high of 1,419 cases recorded last Thursday.

There are now at least 69,069 reported cases and 2,848 deaths tied to the outbreak in Florida, according to the latest numbers released Thursday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 429June 12, 2020 2:06 AM

Woman in her twenties has double lung transplant due to coronavirus

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 430June 12, 2020 2:08 AM

R429, just watching the spread of it over the last few months, it seemed really obvious that there was a directionality to the spread. In America, it started north and moved south (except New Orleans, which got hit early due to the port and the make up of the population). I never understood how that wasn't obvious. And then the south opens first? Dumb fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 431June 12, 2020 2:29 AM

Bloomberg News: Houston-area officials are “getting close” to reimposing stay-at-home orders and are prepared to reopen a Covid-19 hospital established but never used at a football stadium as virus cases expand in the fourth-largest U.S. city.

The announcement by came a day after the Lone Star state recorded its highest one-day tally of new cases since the pandemic emerged.

The warnings of a worsening outbreak reinforced alarms sounded by national health officials over the risk of a second wave of infections beyond the initial U.S. hot spots led by New York and New Jersey. Texas has been among the states pushing hardest to ease lockdowns imposed during the first wave of a disease that has killed more than 113,000 Americans.

However, any plan to reinstate local lockdowns may hold little legal authority after Governor Greg Abbott issued executive orders to reopen the state that superceded county and municipal directives.

by Anonymousreply 432June 12, 2020 2:55 AM

Phoenix Mayor: “Arizona reopened way too early.”

by Anonymousreply 433June 12, 2020 2:56 AM

Let ‘em all die since they insisted on not following guidelines and wanted to run wild with no mask on and no social distancing.

by Anonymousreply 434June 12, 2020 2:57 AM

⏳ CORONA TIME ~ JUNE11 ~ 11:00 PM EST

🌽 CORN ON THE COB DAY

🐳 JACQUES COUSTEAU DAY

🌎 GLOBAL

CASES: 7,596,987

DEATHS: 423,844

CRITICAL: 53,902

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 2,089,701

DEATHS: 116,034

CRITICAL: 16,827

😍 SWEET DREAMS !

by Anonymousreply 435June 12, 2020 2:58 AM

R434: Yep!

by Anonymousreply 436June 12, 2020 2:58 AM

It ain't over until I sing.

I'm not even humming yet.

by Anonymousreply 437June 12, 2020 3:03 AM

[quote]New Cases - Top 5 states:

[quote]Yesterday:

California +2,392

Texas +1,585

Arizona +1,556

Florida +1,371

North Carolina +1,167

________

[quote]Today:

California +3,574

Texas +2,023

Florida +1,698

Arizona +1,412

North Carolina +1,177

by Anonymousreply 438June 12, 2020 3:06 AM

After seeing a steady rise in new coronavirus cases, Oregon Gov. Kate Brown said tonight she's pausing reopening requests from counties around the state.

by Anonymousreply 439June 12, 2020 3:14 AM

Houston is the 4th largest US city? Wow, wouldn't have guessed.

by Anonymousreply 440June 12, 2020 3:37 AM

I have a feeling most states are going to issue stay at home orders once again by July 4th.

by Anonymousreply 441June 12, 2020 3:37 AM

This may be meaningful if you live in Ohio and watched the Ohio Coronavirus updates on TV.

WaPo 6/11/20

[quote] Dr. Amy Acton resigns as Ohio Department of Health director

(Some points from the article)

[quote] The governor said he tried in vain to convince Acton to stay as director, and he praised her “wise advice and counsel” and “extraordinary bedside manner” since he appointed her last year.

[quote] An April poll found almost 64 percent of Ohio’s registered voters had a favorable opinion of Acton, and almost 84 percent said they trusted the coronavirus information she was providing.

[quote] Acton has also become a lightning rod of criticism from opponents of the DeWine administration’s coronavirus orders, who claimed she overestimated the deadliness of the coronavirus and overreached her authority in ordering closures.

[quote] Republican lawmakers tried to strip her of her power, and protesters demonstrated outside her home in suburban Columbus.

by Anonymousreply 442June 12, 2020 3:40 AM

Hopefully not, R441. In looking at Illinois vs. Indiana, the difference is telling. Illinois is still going down even two weeks after the first round of opening up. We are going slowly. I still think it's too fast, but it seems to be going okay for now, even two weeks following Memorial Day weekend. I hope we are learning our lessons from other state's mistakes. We did have a lot of protests but there were masks on almost everyone. Chicago is being treated like a separate entity and Lightfoot is taking no shit.

Meanwhile, Indiana threw open the doors weeks ago and are now paying the price. So glad we have Democrats in charge across the board, executive, legislative, and judicial. That last one being Repug is what is sinking Wisconsin right now. One fucking judge who has already been voted off the court has blood on his hands.

by Anonymousreply 443June 12, 2020 3:46 AM

Have Disney World and Universal re-opened? If Florida is seeing a spike in new cases, now is not the time to reopen amusement parks.

by Anonymousreply 444June 12, 2020 4:48 AM

The LA Times said that Vegas guests are shaming people who wear masks.

by Anonymousreply 445June 12, 2020 4:53 AM

The IHME has now extended their projections through Oct. 1. (Before, they were only projecting until August.) They're now projecting 169,890 U.S. deaths. They're also projecting that overall deaths will start rising again beginning in mid-August.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446June 12, 2020 9:18 AM

R438 WTF is happening in CA? We were led to believe that Californians were model coronavirus citizens.

by Anonymousreply 447June 12, 2020 12:08 PM

[quote]WTF is happening in CA? We were led to believe that Californians were model coronavirus citizens.

Just as many morons in CA as in other states -- actually more, because the state has so many people. From the LA Times:

A mask rebellion is underway in some parts of the state, with residents pushing back on mandatory face-covering rules even with coronavirus cases on the rise and as more businesses open their doors and some people yearn to return to old routines.

The potency of mask politics became clear this week in Orange County, where the health officer resigned after weeks of attacks — and a death threat — over her mandatory mask rules. Her replacement on Thursday rescinded the rules amid intense pressure from the Board of Supervisors.

Other counties have also buckled to public pressure. Fresno County had a face mask rule for less than a day before it was pulled back. Riverside and San Bernardino pulled their orders after blowback. Stockton’s mayor, Michael Tubbs, proposed face covering rules but failed to get any support from the City Council this week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 448June 12, 2020 12:21 PM

Tops should be optional in exchange for making masks mandatory.

by Anonymousreply 449June 12, 2020 12:24 PM

Dear ElderLez: This is the Datalounge. Tops are ALWAYS mandatory.

by Anonymousreply 450June 12, 2020 12:27 PM

Goddamn, that's depressing R448.

by Anonymousreply 451June 12, 2020 12:53 PM

White House eyes travel from Mexico as source of virus spike

The White House is floating a theory that travel from Mexico may be contributing to a new wave of coronavirus infections, rather than states’ efforts to reopen their economies.

The notion was discussed at some length during a meeting of the administration’s coronavirus task force in the White House Situation Room Thursday that focused, in part, on identifying commonalities between new outbreaks, according to two administration officials familiar with the discussions.

COVID-19 cases are currently rising in nearly half of states across the country, according to an Associated Press analysis. That includes Arizona, where hospitals have been told to prepare for the worst, and Texas, which now has more hospitalized patients than ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452June 12, 2020 1:50 PM

[quote]The White House is floating

Shoot it quick!

by Anonymousreply 453June 12, 2020 1:51 PM

Memorial Day is coming home to roost.

by Anonymousreply 454June 12, 2020 2:05 PM

Too many stupid, selfish and ignorant people in this world who just don't give a damn about anyone but themselves and their ridiculous wants and needs.

by Anonymousreply 455June 12, 2020 2:17 PM

A second wave of the coronavirus is on the way. When it arrives, we will lack the will to deal with it. Despite all the sacrifices of the past months, the virus is likely to win—or perhaps it would be more accurate to say that it already has.

In absolute terms, the United States has been hit harder than any other country. About a quarter of worldwide deaths have been recorded on these shores. And while the virus is no longer growing at an exponential rate, the threat it poses remains significant: According to a forecasting model by Morgan Stanley, the number of American cases will, if current trends hold, roughly double over the next two months.

I do not intend to offer a first draft of history. We are too close to the events to judge, with a cool head, which factors are most responsible for putting us in our current tragic situation. But I would like to offer a partial list of individuals and institutions who, however central or peripheral their contribution to the ultimate outcome, have helped to get us into this mess:

If the virus wins, it is because the World Health Organization downplayed the threat for far too long.

If the virus wins, it is because Donald Trump was more interested in hushing up bad news that might hurt the economy than in saving American lives.

If the virus wins, it is because the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, created to deal with just this kind of emergency, has proved to be too bureaucratic and incompetent to do its job.

If the virus wins, it is because the White House did not even attempt to put a test-and-trace regime into place at the federal level.

Although we do not yet know the effect of more recent events on the course of the pandemic, or what exactly will happen in the coming weeks and months, the list of culprits will likely be even longer than that.

If the virus wins, it may also be because Derek Chauvin kept his knee on George Floyd’s neck for eight minutes and 46 seconds as Floyd was pleading for his life, setting off protests that—as righteous as they are—could well result in mass infections.

If the virus wins, it may also be because 1,200 public-health experts obfuscated the mortal risk that these mass protests would pose to the most vulnerable among us by declaring not only (as would be reasonable) that they supported them as citizens, but also (which is highly implausible) that they had determined, as scientists, that they would actively serve “the national public health.”

If the virus wins, it may also be because so many states moved to reopen before getting the pace of infections under control.

If the virus wins, it may also be because the right-wing-media echo chamber is starting to downplay the risk that a second wave poses to Americans.

If the virus does win, then, it is because American elites, experts, and institutions have fallen short—and continue to fall short—of the grave responsibility with which they are entrusted in ways too innumerable to list.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 456June 12, 2020 2:18 PM

⏳ CORONA TIME ~ JUNE 12 ~ 10:45 AM EST

🌹 RED ROSE DAY

🐔 POULTRY DAY

🌎 GLOBAL

CASES: 7,638,148

DEATHS: 424,780

CRITICAL: 54,035

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 2,092,132

DEATHS: 116,106

CRITICAL: 26,828

by Anonymousreply 457June 12, 2020 2:44 PM

r452, The White House, once again, trying to place the blame on another country,

by Anonymousreply 458June 12, 2020 3:41 PM

It’s because the republican administration cares more about appearances than actually doing any administrative work, like stopping the disease in its tracks like South Korea did.

At least we can stop pretending that America is till a first world country.

by Anonymousreply 459June 12, 2020 3:44 PM

I'm actually fine if we have to go into lockdown again. I hate summer and dread going out in the hot humid weather. I'd rather reopen in September and enjoy Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 460June 12, 2020 3:46 PM

R456 Fabulous post!!! I wish I could give 1000 WW votes!

by Anonymousreply 461June 12, 2020 4:23 PM

CPT. I think there is an error with the critical cases in your last update for the US

by Anonymousreply 462June 12, 2020 4:26 PM

I can’t see the CPT anymore thank fox but do yourself a favor, don’t trust its numbers. It has some kind of agenda.

It was also claiming that Hillary was a child molester and hangs out in pizza shops looking for little kids to molest??

by Anonymousreply 463June 12, 2020 4:35 PM

Could you provide a link r463?

Been tempted to put CPT on ignore for some time. That would help me decide.

by Anonymousreply 464June 12, 2020 4:40 PM

Oh honey if you’re on the fence about this troll you got bigger problems.

by Anonymousreply 465June 12, 2020 4:43 PM

😍 Who is the nutball stalker with the massive hard on for the Corona Poll Troll?

It's actually quite clear who has the really has an agenda here.

And it's not the Poll Troll.

by Anonymousreply 466June 12, 2020 4:44 PM

Thanks r465. You've definitely helped me decide.

by Anonymousreply 467June 12, 2020 4:45 PM

Posting death rates should be done with respect and reverence.

It’s not something to laugh at and make light of.

by Anonymousreply 468June 12, 2020 4:47 PM

Get a LOAD of CPTs posting history.

Jesus it’s like a CPAC convention brochure.

by Anonymousreply 469June 12, 2020 4:49 PM

[quote]Get a LOAD of CPTs posting history.

So I did that.

You are quite delusional.

by Anonymousreply 470June 12, 2020 4:54 PM

Meanwhile, the critical cases in the US have zoomed back up to 17.1K as of the moment. Sadly, this is one of the best indicators of deaths to come in the hours, days and weeks ahead

by Anonymousreply 471June 12, 2020 5:36 PM

There is no "second wave."

We've been in one long, flat wave since the beginning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 472June 12, 2020 5:57 PM

The flatness is caused by New York’s sustained decreases. We’ve seen a 90+% drop in cases in the Tristate. Now that we aren’t going lower, our good behavior will stop masking other state’s increasing outbreaks.

by Anonymousreply 473June 12, 2020 6:29 PM

Newsom says- Cases rising in California? Who gives a fuck, it's business as usual. We will not walk back reopenings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 474June 12, 2020 9:10 PM

👩‍🚒 R463 would really, truly love to post that imaginary link, but he is currently very busy trying to put out a [italic] "Caftan-on-Fire."

by Anonymousreply 475June 12, 2020 9:12 PM

[bold]Yesterday:

California +3,574

Texas +2,023

Florida +1,698

Arizona +1,412

North Carolina +1,177

_________

[bold]Now (so far):

Florida +1,902

North Carolina +1,846

Arizona +1,654

Texas +1,652

California +1,035

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 476June 12, 2020 9:18 PM

Thank you r476 for taking over for that Anti-Hillary conspiracy freak.

by Anonymousreply 477June 12, 2020 9:20 PM

ITA R461: Great post R456/SylviaFowler!

by Anonymousreply 478June 12, 2020 9:26 PM

And just like that, Brazil has passed the UK for the 2nd most reported deaths in the world behind the US.

by Anonymousreply 479June 12, 2020 9:43 PM

🤥 We're still waiting, R463 . . . . . . . . . . .

by Anonymousreply 480June 12, 2020 10:08 PM

😴 R477 Posting from 2016.

by Anonymousreply 481June 12, 2020 10:40 PM

^ More proof that people should not vote for far right idiots

by Anonymousreply 482June 12, 2020 10:47 PM

The woman who was fired for posting Florida's real number of Covid-19 cases has started her own site with her own numbers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 483June 13, 2020 1:19 AM

Here’s another good article about us “long-haulers.” From this I finally found the perfect way to describe one particular symptom which came and went twice within six days-a “buzzing/tingling/vibration/tremor sensation” in my head and body.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 484June 13, 2020 1:42 AM

R479 The UK can still point to being far ahead of Brazil when it comes to "Deaths per 1 million Population", though.

The UK is at 611 versus Brazil's barely-there 197.

Geesh! Even Canada's at 200 in that column.

by Anonymousreply 485June 13, 2020 1:50 AM

R485, Brazil is just getting going. That's the problem.

by Anonymousreply 486June 13, 2020 2:13 AM

R483, I see a cease and desist order coming her way. Fucking lying Repugs.

by Anonymousreply 487June 13, 2020 2:15 AM

⏳ CORONA TIME ~ JUNE 12 ~ 10:30 PM EST

🌹RED ROSE DAY

🐔 NATIONAL POULTRY DAY

🌎 GLOBAL

CASES: 7,773,485

DEATHS: 428,236

CRITICAL: 53,887

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 2,116,922

DEATHS: 116,825

CRITICAL: 16, 613

📊 STATS AVAILABLE 24/7 @ WORLDOMETER.COM

🖐️ SANITIZE !

by Anonymousreply 488June 13, 2020 2:32 AM

35 million Americans are still missing stimulus checks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 489June 13, 2020 2:43 AM

The stimulus checks are in the White House Bunker, second shelf, between the boxes of face masks and Hydroxychloriquine.

by Anonymousreply 490June 13, 2020 2:49 AM

How can 35 million people STILL not get their money?

Was it diverted to the first crime family’s off shore accounts?

by Anonymousreply 491June 13, 2020 2:51 AM

I heard millions were stolen by thieves...I think from Nigeria. Major scam, not sure how it worked but I read about it a few weeks ago.

by Anonymousreply 492June 13, 2020 2:54 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 493June 13, 2020 2:55 AM

Friday night in the East Village. PARTY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 494June 13, 2020 3:35 AM

[quote]The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released new coronavirus guidelines Friday to help Americans navigate a changed country, as they face mass protests, spiking cases in many states and President Trump’s plans to return to holding big rallies.

[quote]The CDC guidance includes a recommendation that organizers of large events that involve shouting, chanting or singing “strongly encourage” the use of cloth face coverings.

by Anonymousreply 495June 13, 2020 4:30 AM

Shenanigans in Spain

Guardian-Spain’s daily coronavirus death toll figures have been on hold for almost a week, causing uncertainty about the state of the epidemic that has claimed more than 27,000 lives in the country. The health ministry’s emergencies coordinator Fernando Simon, who for months has given a daily briefing on the pandemic’s evolution, has acknowledged the “astonishment” and “confusion” generated by the figures. On 25 May, the ministry changed its method of collecting data on confirmed cases and fatalities, initially giving a daily death toll of between 50 and 100, AFP reports. But the figure then fell to fewer than five per day and on some days there were no deaths at all. The prime minister, Pedro Sánchez, told parliament there had been “no deaths” for several days, prompting a backlash from rightwing opposition figures who have since accused him of hiding the real number of fatalities. Experts have said the overall number of deaths had remained static as a result of discrepancies arising from alleged delays in submissions of regional data. Since 7 June, the number of dead has remained at 27,136 while the regional authorities “review the information on deaths ... [until] they can give a precise death date which will give a clearer sequence,” according to Simon. But some regions have insisted they have submitted all the required data. Andalusia’s health minister, Jesus Aguirre, recently criticised the central government’s “total lack of respect for the dead” in publishing lower figures than those said to have been submitted by the southern region.

by Anonymousreply 496June 13, 2020 10:27 AM

Guardian-Dozens of people have tested positive for coronavirus in Beijing as parts of the city are locked down and a district in the city put itself on a “wartime” footing after the emergence of a new cluster linked to a wholesale food market. People were ordered to stay at home at 11 residential estates in south Beijing’s Fengtai district and the nearby Xinfadi market was closed as authorities raced to contain the outbreak (see 5.13am) that has raised fears of a resurgence in local transmission as hundreds of troops were deployed to the area. A number of the new symptomatic cases were linked to the meat and vegetable market, China’s National Health Commission said, with another 45 asymptomatic cases detected after mass testing of at least 500 people at the market on Friday, according to officials who said those carrying the virus have been placed under medical observation.

by Anonymousreply 497June 13, 2020 10:39 AM

New York, New York, a helluva town.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 498June 13, 2020 1:14 PM

Everything you need to know...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 499June 13, 2020 1:47 PM

CNN:

Mutation could make coronavirus more infectious, study suggests

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 500June 13, 2020 3:46 PM

[quote]New York, New York, a helluva town.

Cuomo responds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 501June 13, 2020 4:32 PM

⏳ CORONA TIME ~ JUNE 13 ~ 12:30 PM EST

🍸 WORLD GIN DAY

⚾ WORLD SOFTBALL DAY

🌎 GLOBAL

CASES: 7,801,127

DEATHS: 429,956

CRITICAL: 53,921

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 2,126,483

DEATHS: 117,031

CRITICAL: NOT UPDATED @ 16,613

😷 COVER THAT MOUTH !

by Anonymousreply 502June 13, 2020 4:36 PM

Since there isn't any live baseball yet, I've been enjoying watching vintage games on the MLB channel. Right now Game 6 of the 1952 World Series, NY Yankees vs Brooklyn Dodgers.

by Anonymousreply 503June 13, 2020 5:03 PM

Saw an infectious disease doctor on TV who said they have gotten much better in treating the virus and that's why deaths have not risen much lately.

by Anonymousreply 504June 13, 2020 6:30 PM

How exactly have they gotten better at it?

by Anonymousreply 505June 13, 2020 6:36 PM

The COVID statistics site created by the scientist fired by the state of Florida for refusing to cook the books is reporting a not outrageously but significantly higher level of infections and deaths in Florida than Worldometer's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 506June 13, 2020 6:54 PM

The OC idiots at 1:25 are....I have no words.

Localities Scramble To Curb Rising COVID-19 Rates Amid Vocal Opposition To Restrictions | MSNBC

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 507June 13, 2020 7:44 PM

I saw that Orange County public testimony on the local LA news channel. So, she’s mad because her rights are violated when a private business denies her entry without a mask. Was she just as outraged when a private business denied gay couples a wedding cake?

Feel free to shop at an establishment that doesn’t require masks. I shall continue to shop at businesses that DO REQUIRE a mask.

by Anonymousreply 508June 13, 2020 7:57 PM

Here's science for ya-

[quote] 6/2/20: "No evidence that mutations to SARS-CoV-2 increase transmissibility," MedicalNewsToday

[quote] 6/13/20: "Covid-19 virus may have mutated to become more infectious and stable," Study by experts at the Scripps Research Institute in Florida

[quote] 6/10/20: "Latest COVID-19 mutation may indicate the virus is weakening," Journal of Virology, Efrem Lim, PHD

Some Twitter responses: "COVID19 cases increasing while deaths decreasing. Both pretty dramatically. Question is why? Are doctors/nurses just getting better at treating or has the virus mutated to a weaker version? Both???"

Nothing is clear in the Fog of War with Covid-19.

by Anonymousreply 509June 13, 2020 8:05 PM

As was already reported some states are also including antibody tests in their results for "new cases". This leads to very muddy results

by Anonymousreply 510June 13, 2020 8:12 PM

Spain is lying about numbers because the soccer is trying to come back...soccer is everything to them. dumb fucks

by Anonymousreply 511June 13, 2020 8:14 PM

r508, remember when stores used to have a "No shoes, no shirt, no service" sign in their windows? They need to amend that with "no masks" and display it prominently.

by Anonymousreply 512June 13, 2020 8:16 PM

R512 shirts should be required unless the guy is hot. Then they should be optional.

by Anonymousreply 513June 13, 2020 8:20 PM

As the number of new cases may fluctuate due to increased testing, the inclusion of antibody tests, etc., two key statistics are the number of active cases and the number of critically ill cases. Unfortunately, these numbers have remained relatively constant in the US (1.1M active cases and 16-17K critical cases) for many weeks now.

by Anonymousreply 514June 13, 2020 8:34 PM

Treatment has gotten better; cytokine testing, proning, anticoagulants, etc.

by Anonymousreply 515June 13, 2020 8:41 PM

Interesting to see who is dying from the disease. The number of people under the age of 60 is really minuscule.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 516June 13, 2020 9:05 PM

R515. True. But so has the cheating and lying

by Anonymousreply 517June 13, 2020 9:10 PM

Couldn’t they just be faking the numbers to make them look low?

by Anonymousreply 518June 13, 2020 9:13 PM

The link at r516 shows case fatality rates for different countries.

Australia is really incredible. The case fatality rates for people over 60 and below 90 appear to be the lowest anywhere.

For contrast-

ITALY - Case fatality rates by age-

60-69: 10.6%

70-79: 25.9%

80-89: 32.4%

90+: 29.9%

Compare

AUSTRALIA case fatality rate by age:

60-69: 1.1%

70-79: 4.1%

80-89: 18.1%

90+: 40.8%

Look at the rest of the countries at that link. Why is Australia doing so much better in most of its elderly case fatality rates?

by Anonymousreply 519June 13, 2020 9:40 PM

If the virus doesn't kill you...the hospital bill will!

Coronavirus survivor gets whopping $1.1 million hospital bill

A 70-year-old Seattle man who nearly died from the coronavirus got hit with another shock after he recovered: a $1.1 million hospital bill.

Michael Flor was so sick from COVID-19 that his wife and kids called him to say good-bye.

But he managed to pull through while being treated at Swedish Medical Center in Issaquah, the Seattle Times reported.

Then he got the sky-high bill for his care.

“I opened it and said ‘holy [bleep]!’“ Flor told the paper.

The invoice, totaling an eye-popping $1,122,501.04, ran 181 pages, including $9,736 for his room in the intensive care unit, plus an extra $408,912 because the space had to be sealed off and staff needed to wear full protective gear.

Many of the charges were for the drugs that kept him alive.

Flor has a Medicare Advantage insurance policy that normally covers all charges after the roughly $6,000 deductible, the paper reported.

Special financial regulations enacted by Congress for COVID-19 patients, however, might keep Flor from paying one red cent, the Seattle Times said.

Flor said he was surprised by his own reaction to beating the coronavirus.

“I feel guilty about surviving,” he said. “There’s a sense of, ‘why me?’ Why did I deserve all this? Looking at the incredible cost of it all definitely adds to that survivor’s guilt.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 520June 13, 2020 9:44 PM

Open the next thread with this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 521June 13, 2020 9:45 PM

But even Italy....98,8% of deaths have been over the age of 60. 98,8%!

Even if the cases surge again, they'll be no lockdown, no destroying of the economy for this.

by Anonymousreply 522June 13, 2020 9:47 PM

R289, the article doesn't just state that the virus can't spread without symptoms, it says that what we consider "asymptomatic" spread is more accurately PRESYMPTOMATIC spread, which still accounts for 35-40% of cases. No matter which term we use, the virus can still be spread by people who don't show symptoms.

by Anonymousreply 523June 13, 2020 9:56 PM

From r289's article, which DL won't allow me to post the CNN link to:

"In addition, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates in planning scenarios that 40% of coronavirus transmission is occurring before people feel sick."

and

"These patients weren't asymptomatic," Juthani said. Rather, they were "spreading disease before becoming symptomatic."

by Anonymousreply 524June 13, 2020 10:11 PM

[quote]Even if the cases surge again, they'll be no lockdown

You might want to check with the mayor of Houston on that.

by Anonymousreply 525June 13, 2020 10:18 PM

It looks like Oregon and NC are headed towards another lockdown.

by Anonymousreply 526June 13, 2020 10:25 PM

r520, Weren't they saying people wouldn't have to pay for covid treatment?

by Anonymousreply 527June 13, 2020 10:26 PM

In my area we were under lockdown for 2.5 months while 80% of the deaths were in nursing homes.

by Anonymousreply 528June 13, 2020 10:28 PM

[quote]You might want to check with the mayor of Houston on that.

And the governor of Oregon.

by Anonymousreply 529June 13, 2020 10:28 PM

Just because younger people aren't dying dcoesn't mean they won't with permanent kidney, heart, and lung damage to be expected.

by Anonymousreply 530June 13, 2020 10:33 PM

Maybe they'll just die later but still soon.

by Anonymousreply 531June 13, 2020 10:42 PM

Who is hoarding the toilet paper?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 532June 13, 2020 10:57 PM

[quote]The study looked at whether different personality traits were associated with toilet paper hoarding, and found stockpilers tended to be more anxious and fearful about the coming health threat compared with those who didn’t load up on the product.

Well, duh.

by Anonymousreply 533June 13, 2020 11:04 PM

Younger people HAVE died from it.

by Anonymousreply 534June 13, 2020 11:10 PM

Younger people HAVE died from it.

by Anonymousreply 535June 13, 2020 11:10 PM

8-Year-Old Girl Dies from Coronavirus Complications After Parents and Sister also Test Positive

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 536June 13, 2020 11:12 PM

Another study showing that even apparently "asymptomatic" people had 'ground glass' lung opacity when given a CT scan. So stop with the bullshit, "Only old people die" narrative. Death is besides the point. You could have some sort of lung damage without even feeling sick!

"Methods: We retrospectively investigated patients with a confirmed diagnosis of COVID-19 but who did not show any symptoms. Among the 139 patients with COVID-19 who were hospitalized, 10 (7.2%) were asymptomatic. Their chest CT and radiographic findings were analyzed. Results: In the results, all patients (100%) had ground glass opacity (GGO) on chest CT. Further, the GGO lesions were predominantly distributed peripherally and posteriorly in all patients. In 9 (90%) patients, the GGO lesions were combined with reticular opacity. Air-bronchogram due to bronchiolectasis surrounded by GGO was observed in 8 patients (80%). Additionally, the lung lesions were dominant on the right side in all patients. Conclusions: In conclusion, considering our results that the lung is affected in asymptomatic patients, it will be necessary to extend the indications of COVID-19 testing for effective management of COVID-19 during the pandemic."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 537June 13, 2020 11:13 PM

Stop with the bullshit "COVID is a death sentence if if it isn't" narrative.

by Anonymousreply 538June 13, 2020 11:46 PM

The next Corona thread should lead with the tanking economy.

It seems like the administration would rather try to distract the public instead of actually trying to take steps to protect the economy.

by Anonymousreply 539June 13, 2020 11:50 PM

"Ground glass opacity" is common with any form of viral pneumonia. It doesn't automatically indicate you have severe or permanent lung damage. It means you have a lung infection. Stop posting fear-inducing posts that don't include the full context.

by Anonymousreply 540June 13, 2020 11:55 PM

...and it DOESN'T mean your lungs have become like ground glass. That terminology should be discontinued. It simply means there is a spot on the scan that looks like frosted glass, as opposed to a solid mass.

by Anonymousreply 541June 13, 2020 11:58 PM

R512 Australia is doing really well because there are hardly any cases. A total of 102 dead and just over 7,000 infected meant that hospital's were swamped which helps to give patients more of a chance.

by Anonymousreply 542June 14, 2020 12:22 AM

Has "Live and Let Die" been used yet?

by Anonymousreply 543June 14, 2020 12:54 AM

It doesn't spread at high altitudes so we could have had our Dead Bodies on Everest thread after all.

by Anonymousreply 544June 14, 2020 1:07 AM

The only category in the page above that outlines the age trends for different aspects of Covid that shows a tread opposite of the oldest being the most affected is 'Percent of hospitalized people who go to Intensive Care Unit'. That leads me to think that there are two dark possibilities.

One, the older people die more quickly and never make it to the intensive care unit. Or, two, the younger you are, the more likely that the doctors will feel your life is important enough to send you to the intensive care unit. If you look at the chart at R516's link about percentages going to the intensive care unit, it looks like it's the second scenario. In that one chart, the younger you are, the more likely you were to get an intensive care unit bed.

by Anonymousreply 545June 14, 2020 1:10 AM

The UK is officially the plague capital of the world with 611 deaths per million population.

by Anonymousreply 546June 14, 2020 1:11 AM

R543 Yes

R540 No context was given in the report, and I'm not a medical professional who is fit to provide it. Maybe it's not as bad as it sounds, but it sounds pretty grim to the average layman (me!) The fact remains that no one can say anything with certainly about long term consequences of COVID yet, don't dismiss anything.

Also seems to me that if these people are showing opacity on a CT scan then they're not truly asymptomatic.

by Anonymousreply 547June 14, 2020 1:49 AM

⏳ CORONA TIME ~ JUNE 13 ~ 10:00 PM EST

🍸 NATIONAL GIN DAY

⚾ NATIONAL SOFTBALL DAY

🌎 GLOBAL

CASES: 7,859,127

DEATHS: 432,168

CRITICAL: 54,068

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 2,142,224

DEATHS: 117,527

CRITICAL: 16,744

🖐️ WASH ~ SANITIZE ~ MOISTURIZE

by Anonymousreply 548June 14, 2020 2:00 AM

Anthony Fauci:

"The thing that we don't yet fully appreciate is what happens when you get infected and you get serious disease and you recover? What are the long-term durable negative effects of that infection?"

Fauci explained that because there's still not enough experience with the virus, scientists don't know what patients who have recovered will be like in six months.

"We don't know the extent of full recovery or partial recovery, so there's a lot we need to learn," he said.

by Anonymousreply 549June 14, 2020 2:27 AM

Vegas looks like a regular summer weekend.....except for the protests and all.

by Anonymousreply 550June 14, 2020 4:40 AM

Sylvia @R547, I understand your point. Thanks. My point is that some stuff that gets circulated in the media without any context sometimes gets turned into something much more serious and scary than it actually is. The "ground glass" thing is a good example. I think we all just need to use common sense, take care of ourselves, look out for others, and we will get through this.

by Anonymousreply 551June 14, 2020 5:35 AM

And one thing we don't do is pretend all will be well when we have no data to support it R551.

by Anonymousreply 552June 14, 2020 5:40 AM

Thanks for that word salad R552. Luv u mean it.

by Anonymousreply 553June 14, 2020 5:43 AM

Personally, I found r552's "salad" particularly easy to understand.

by Anonymousreply 554June 14, 2020 10:37 AM

[quote]Australia is really incredible. The case fatality rates for people over 60 and below 90 appear to be the lowest anywhere.

Strict social distancing has also helped Australian influenza levels plummet to record low levels this winter.

by Anonymousreply 555June 14, 2020 11:25 AM

Wide open spaces in Australia versus the overcrowded New York and London communities so loved by the virus.

by Anonymousreply 556June 14, 2020 1:29 PM

Enough with the panic. Yes, there are areas of the country where infections are rising, but they're areas that also got a later start. This thing has about a 90 day life cycle. New York peaked on April 15th with 11,661 new cases on that day. Today, two months later, they're down to under 900 infections per day.

Deaths in the US peaked on April 21st at 2,592. Yesterday's death toll was 702. Thats a 73% drop in three weeks.

by Anonymousreply 557June 14, 2020 1:42 PM

It's better to just listen and learn to the knowledge that our fellow DLers are sharing rather than to point the conspiratorial fingers of criticism and accusation.

Despite the facts, so many people are not yet taking this virus seriously, and we will see the consequences of selfish and stupid behavior explode by the end of summer.

by Anonymousreply 558June 14, 2020 1:51 PM

We know nothing about the lifecycle of this virus.

by Anonymousreply 559June 14, 2020 2:05 PM

[quote] This thing has about a 90 day life cycle.

[quote] Deaths in the US peaked on April 21st at 2,592. Yesterday's death toll was 702. Thats a 73% drop in three weeks.

You're assuming that it only has one life cycle. You're assuming there will be no second wave. IHME is projecting that deaths will bottom out at about 366 per day in mid-August but then start rising again, reaching 1,000 deaths a day by Oct. 1.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 560June 14, 2020 2:12 PM

Italy begs to differ, R559.

Peak on 3/21/20: 6557 new cases

June 9: 346 new cases

by Anonymousreply 561June 14, 2020 2:13 PM

Stay in your underground bunker until the end of the year, R560. You'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 562June 14, 2020 2:14 PM

Many of the recent cases in my area are college student, ages 18 thru 25.

Young does not translate to invincible.

by Anonymousreply 563June 14, 2020 2:30 PM

[quote]Wide open spaces in Australia versus the overcrowded New York and London communities so loved by the virus.

A strange phenomenon is crime has reduced by up to 40% in some Australian cities. Since the national and state boarders have been shut there has been less meth on the streets and a dramatic reduction in crime has followed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 564June 14, 2020 2:36 PM

And them bogans sure do love their meth. Crikey,

by Anonymousreply 565June 14, 2020 6:10 PM

This researcher has gone there

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 566June 14, 2020 7:40 PM

⏳ CORONA TIME ~ JUNE 14 ~ 3:45 PM EST

🇺🇸 FLAG DAY ~ USA

🧒 NATIONAL CHILDREN'S DAY

🌎 GLOBAL

CASES: 7,945,800

DEATHS: 433,992

CRITICAL: 54,231

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 2,156,772

DEATHS: 117,728

CRITICAL: 16,727

by Anonymousreply 567June 14, 2020 7:46 PM

⏳ CORONA TIME ~ JUNE 14 ~ 3:45 PM EST

🇺🇸 FLAG DAY ~ USA

🧒 NATIONAL CHILDREN'S DAY

🌎 GLOBAL

CASES: 7,945,800

DEATHS: 433,992

CRITICAL: 54,231

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 2,156,772

DEATHS: 117,728

CRITICAL: 16,727

by Anonymousreply 568June 14, 2020 7:46 PM

Both Texas and North Carolina reported a record number of virus-related hospitalizations Saturday.

New York governor Andrew Cuomo said this morning, asked about scenes of social gatherings this weekend:

“If we have a high number of violations of the policy, which is tantamount to a high likelihood of the spread of the virus, and the local governments are not monitoring, policing, doing the compliance, yes there is a very real possibility that we would roll back the reopening in those areas. The only alternative would be to pause the entire reopening.”

by Anonymousreply 569June 14, 2020 8:28 PM

[quote] Enough with the panic. Yes, there are areas of the country where infections are rising, but they're areas that also got a later start.

Umm, tell that to California, dumb ass.

by Anonymousreply 570June 14, 2020 9:51 PM

Tulsa World: Oklahoma state health officials on Friday reported 222 new cases of COVID-19, marking a new peak in daily increases for both the state and Tulsa County, the site of a Trump rally this coming Saturday (June 20). The previous high for the state was April 4, when 171 new cases were reported.

Tulsa City-County Health Department Director Bruce Dart told Tulsa World on Saturday that the city is experiencing a “significant increase in our case trends” that could be hazardous to rally attendees and the president. “A large indoor rally with 19-20,000 people is a huge risk factor today in Tulsa, Oklahoma."

The good news is that the Trump campaign will have a list of every single person attending the rally so contract tracers will have a head start in identifying plaguebearers.

by Anonymousreply 571June 14, 2020 9:57 PM

The West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources (DHHR) has confirmed five COVID-19 outbreaks at churches in West Virginia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 572June 14, 2020 10:14 PM

Reuters:

Record spikes in new coronavirus cases, hospitalizations sweep parts of U.S.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 573June 14, 2020 10:15 PM

We need a heroic volunteer who *MAY* be asymptomatic to attend the rally.

by Anonymousreply 574June 14, 2020 10:42 PM

I think California just kind of skipped its turn in the barrel earlier this year. They locked down fast and stopped the progress. Now that they are opening up to the levels that the rest of us were open to up until late April, they are going to experience what a lot of us experienced in late April and early May.

by Anonymousreply 575June 14, 2020 10:45 PM

R572, I guess it's what God wanted!

by Anonymousreply 576June 14, 2020 10:46 PM

[quote]This researcher has gone there

And with any kind of luck, he'll stay there.

by Anonymousreply 577June 14, 2020 11:20 PM

That researcher (a physicist, not a biologist of any sort) is going to get ripped to shreds on review.

by Anonymousreply 578June 15, 2020 12:05 AM

Is that physicist Sheldon Cooper?

by Anonymousreply 579June 15, 2020 12:15 AM

Is that physicist Sheldon Cooper?

by Anonymousreply 580June 15, 2020 12:15 AM

Next thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 581June 15, 2020 1:49 AM

[quote] The good news is that the Trump campaign will have a list of every single person attending the rally so contact tracers will have a head start in identifying plaguebearers.

But wait! .. I thought most of these live free or die idiots were against contact tracing because it was some kind of infringement on their personal liberty ... lol

by Anonymousreply 582June 15, 2020 2:33 AM

Had to block the Calm Your Tits disinformation at R557.

by Anonymousreply 583June 15, 2020 2:38 AM

Had to block the Calm Your Tits disinformation at R557.

by Anonymousreply 584June 15, 2020 2:38 AM

[quote]I think California just kind of skipped its turn in the barrel earlier this year.

Yup. They locked down early and hard so all they did was delay it. This thing will do what it wants. You can rip off the bandaid fast or you can take it off slooooowly. The result is the same in the end. Covid gets what Covid wants---and that's a certain number of infections and deaths before it goes dormant. Hopefully there is a cure or a vaccine before it wakes up again.

by Anonymousreply 585June 15, 2020 4:17 PM

R585: Wakes up? It never went to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 586June 15, 2020 11:01 PM

The deaths are higher if you rip off the bandaid faster since there won’t be enough doctors, nurses and ICU beds to go around.

by Anonymousreply 587June 15, 2020 11:09 PM

If you're in FL or CA, Disney theme parks are gearing up to open in July.

This will tack on, say, 1000+ more cases...

by Anonymousreply 588June 16, 2020 12:35 AM

No uptick in cases from the protests. Thousands gathering for days on end. How do you explain that, R588? In my state new infections going down every day.

by Anonymousreply 589June 16, 2020 8:30 AM

Comedian Zack Bornstein:

COVID has now killed more Americans than WW1, but that's only if you believe WW1 happened, and it wasn't just routine seasonal trench warfare.

by Anonymousreply 590June 16, 2020 12:15 PM

Ba....

by Anonymousreply 591June 16, 2020 6:05 PM

JOUR!

by Anonymousreply 592June 16, 2020 6:06 PM

R589 where are you located?

Larger states like CA,TX, and FL don't seem to be doing so well. But then again, this information changes from week to week, that is, if numbers aren't being fudged.

In CA, there are still protests going on, for all different things now (BLM, DeFund the Police, Pride, etc.). There will be more numbers by the end of the month most likely.

by Anonymousreply 593June 17, 2020 12:42 AM

'You're assuming that it only has one life cycle. You're assuming there will be no second wave. IHME is projecting that deaths will bottom out at about 366 per day in mid-August but then start rising again, reaching 1,000 deaths a day by Oct. 1.'

Spaztastic Doomsday Troll. There is no second wave. It takes out the weakest and then disappears. France Italy and Spain are in low double figures, getting fewer every day.

by Anonymousreply 594June 19, 2020 12:20 AM

Here in Ohio we just jumped back up to 700 new cases a day. That's about as bad as it got during the worst of the first wave and people here in red-state central Ohio are acting like the pandemic is done and over.

by Anonymousreply 595June 19, 2020 5:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!