Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

From the Andes to Tibet, the coronavirus seems to be sparing populations at high altitudes

[bold](Article courtesy of Washington Post)[/bold]

When tourists from Mexico, China and Britain became the first covid-19 fatalities in Cusco, Peru, it seemed as if the onetime capital of the Inca Empire might be headed for a significant outbreak.

Nestled in a picturesque Andean valley, the high-altitude city of 420,000 residents, the gateway to the cloud forest citadel of Machu Picchu, receives more than 3 million international visitors per year — many from pandemic hot spots, including the United States, Italy and Spain.

Yet since those three deaths, between March 23 and April 3, at the start of Peru’s strict national lockdown, there has not been another covid-19 fatality in the entire Cusco region, even as the disease has claimed more than 4,000 lives nationally.

Infections have also remained low. Just 1,062 of Peru’s 164,000 cases come from the Cusco region, meaning its contagion rate is more than 80 percent below the national average.

The relative dearth of cases and deaths in the internationally connected but high-elevation region has prompted speculation here that the novel coronavirus gets soroche, the Quechua word for altitude sickness.

Similar results have been seen elsewhere in the Andes, and in Tibet.

Scientists warn that the apparent pattern might not last, but the as-yet-unexplained phenomenon has them intrigued. Researchers are starting to investigate a possible relationship between the coronavirus and altitude.

In one peer-reviewed study, published in the journal Respiratory Physiology & Neurobiology, researchers from Australia, Bolivia, Canada and Switzerland looking at epidemiological data from Bolivia, Ecuador and Tibet found that populations living above 3,000 meters (9,842 feet) reported significantly lower levels of confirmed infections than their lowland counterparts.

They found that Tibet’s infection rate was “drastically” lower than that of lowland China, the rate in the Bolivian Andes was one-third that of the rest of Bolivia, and the rate in the Ecuadoran Andes was one-fourth that of the rest of Ecuador.

Ecuador has suffered one of Latin America’s worst outbreaks, with more than 39,000 reported cases and more than 3,300 deaths, according to official figures. But it has been centered on the Pacific port of Guayaquil. Bolivia’s 9,982 cases have been concentrated in the department of Santa Cruz, a few hundred feet above sea level. But the department of La Paz, home to the world’s highest capital, has had 507 cases.

The researchers hypothesize that populations living at high altitudes might be benefiting from a combination of an ability to cope with hypoxia (low levels of oxygen in the blood) and a natural environment hostile to the virus — including dry mountain air, high levels of UV radiation and the possibility that lower barometric pressure reduces the virus’s ability to linger in the air.

Other experts question the role of the environmental factors, noting that most coronavirus infections occur indoors, making UV levels irrelevant. But they are calling for more research into high-altitude populations’ response to the coronavirus, including the possibility that when infected, they sicken less and are therefore less likely to seek medical treatment or testing.

“The virus likes people. It doesn’t care about altitude,” says Peter Chin-Hong, who studies infectious diseases at the University of California at San Francisco. “But we’re still learning so much about this disease, and this does provide us with some good clues to try and understand its progression.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 16, 2020 11:07 PM

Just three populations in the world have been found to have genetic adaptations to altitude: Himalayans, Ethiopian highlanders and Andeans. Yet Clayton Cowl, a pulmonologist at the Mayo Clinic and a former president of the American College of Chest Physicians, suspects the trend may be more closely related to acclimatization, the body’s ability to adjust temporarily to altitude, than to DNA.

That could explain why the coronavirus is raging on Peru’s Pacific coast, particularly Lima, where most residents descend from Andean ancestors, while the country’s mountain communities have thus far at least avoided the worst.

Cowl notes that prolonged exposure to altitude triggers a chain reaction in the lungs involving a protein known as ACE2 that might prevent pulmonary shunting, a problem common among covid-19 patients.

Ordinarily, when a part of the lung is damaged, the body redirects the flow of blood toward healthier areas that are better able to absorb oxygen. Shunting stops that process of redirection, resulting in hypoxia. It is, according to Cowl, a common element among the roughly 30 percent of covid-19 patients who exhibit mild symptoms yet have unusually low levels of oxygen in their blood — and who sometimes take a sudden turn for the worse.

But any benefits from altitude in coping with a coronavirus infection, Chin-Hong and Cowl said, would come only with full acclimatization, a process that typically takes three months. They both stressed that anyone suffering a coronavirus infection who traveled to a mountain area would normally see their symptoms worsen.

“Otherwise, we could treat them with a hyperbaric chamber,” Cowl said.

“From an epidemiological perspective, it is hard to know what this means. There’s likely to be a variety of factors, but it is truly interesting.”

by Anonymousreply 1June 2, 2020 10:10 PM

Wasn't there a study that smokers were less likely to catch it too? Less oxygen in the blood, probably more shallow breaths as well.

by Anonymousreply 2June 2, 2020 10:16 PM

Does Murray Hill count as 'high altitude'?

by Anonymousreply 3June 2, 2020 10:16 PM

R2, it's very intriguing -- and mysterious -- how this virus is affecting certain populations. It'll probably take years before they ever truly get to the bottom of it all.

by Anonymousreply 4June 2, 2020 10:34 PM

I read this article yesterday. Kind of cool

by Anonymousreply 5June 2, 2020 11:12 PM

After that climb the virus is a little winded.

by Anonymousreply 6June 2, 2020 11:38 PM

R6, no kidding. Not even coronavirus wants to deal with that level of breathlessness -- and the altitude is extreme up there!

by Anonymousreply 7June 2, 2020 11:55 PM

How high up do you have to be? I wonder if Denver is high enough.

by Anonymousreply 8June 3, 2020 12:06 AM

R8, I believe pretty high. Cuzco is over 11,000 feet. La Paz and Lhasa, Tibet almost 12k. Denver is 5,280 feet, but I'm wondering the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 9June 3, 2020 12:14 AM

Dr. Cameron (cute doctor from Youtube) speculated that people suffering from Coronavirus exhibit symptoms similar to altitude sickness and questioned whether intubating them was the right approach given these symptoms.

by Anonymousreply 10June 3, 2020 12:41 AM

r9, there's always Pike's Peak at 14,115 feet.

by Anonymousreply 11June 3, 2020 1:07 AM

R11, and a beautiful peak it is. I wouldn't mind riding out the rest of the pandemic there!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 3, 2020 2:14 AM

Lake Tahoe is 10,000 feet

by Anonymousreply 13June 3, 2020 2:22 AM

R13, I didn't know the altitude was so high up there.

by Anonymousreply 14June 3, 2020 3:01 AM

I've got a new altitude!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 3, 2020 3:29 AM

R15, lol.

by Anonymousreply 16June 3, 2020 4:52 AM

[quote]Wasn't there a study that smokers were less likely to catch it too?

Yes, regular smokers were said to have a 50% lower incidence of infection.

by Anonymousreply 17June 3, 2020 4:26 PM

I do like that Peru has these guys going around enforcing social distancing...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 3, 2020 9:05 PM

We live at 7200 feet and we smoke weed. No Rona in our hood.

by Anonymousreply 19June 3, 2020 9:13 PM

R19, where is that?

by Anonymousreply 20June 4, 2020 1:21 AM

My Russian boss said that people in mountainous villages back in Russia weren't getting it either... until they came down for some big public event. Now, 50 people in one of the villages have been diagnosed with it. Maybe it's mostly an issue of proximity more than the altitude itself.

by Anonymousreply 21June 4, 2020 6:04 AM

[quote] Maybe it's mostly an issue of proximity more than the altitude itself.

R21, that could be it. At the same time, La Paz, Bolivia is a big, sprawling, crowded city. It's pretty remarkable that they've had such few cases and deaths.

by Anonymousreply 22June 4, 2020 10:22 PM

One last interesting quote from another article on the matter:

[quote] At sea-level, when people get coronavirus and their lungs get destroyed, it is as if they are climbing Mount Everest in just a couple of days, without oxygen," said Gustavo Zubieta-Calleja, one of the authors of the study published in the journal Respiratory Physiology & Neurobiology. But the "low rate of infection in Bolivia's high-altitude population is remarkable and clearly does not follow the often exponential infection rates reported in many countries," concluded the scientist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 4, 2020 11:07 PM

Those folks probably have lungs made of iron.

by Anonymousreply 24June 4, 2020 11:59 PM

Well then the Sherpas of Tibet should be able to roam freely.

by Anonymousreply 25June 5, 2020 12:24 AM

Stay the Hell away from Death Valley!

by Anonymousreply 26June 5, 2020 1:19 AM

All I need is a Peruvian or Sherpa lung transplant and I'm good to go!

by Anonymousreply 27June 5, 2020 3:42 AM

R26, but you might be safe at the very top of nearby Mt. Whitney (elev. 14,505 ft.).

by Anonymousreply 28June 5, 2020 4:47 AM

One would think that asthmatics would be more resistant too, but no.

by Anonymousreply 29June 5, 2020 6:58 AM

Maybe they shouldn't have canceled the Everest climbing season then.

by Anonymousreply 30June 5, 2020 5:07 PM

I live below sea level, guess I'm screwed!

by Anonymousreply 31June 6, 2020 2:28 AM

We live at 5,689 feet in rural Nevada and there are still no recorded cases in our county (but also no testing, the cheap bastards). Nearby Tonopah, Nevada, elevation 6,200 feet with a population of 2,200, has had only 4 cases and all have recovered. The combination of dry desert air, lower oxygen content and intense sunlight might also be a factor.

by Anonymousreply 32June 6, 2020 2:37 AM

The surface of Lake Tahoe is at 6,225 feet above sea level.

by Anonymousreply 33June 6, 2020 2:43 AM

[quote] Cuzco is over 11,000 feet. La Paz and Lhasa, Tibet almost 12k.

Walking in Denver winds me. I can't imagine these cities over twice that elevation.

by Anonymousreply 34June 6, 2020 2:45 AM

Telescope Peak (in background) is the highest point in Death Valley National Park, at 11,043 feet above sea level, and it looks directly down to the floor of Death Valley (at foreground), which at Badwater (282 feet below sea level) is the lowest point in North America.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 6, 2020 2:57 AM

r34, I had to work at Pike's Peak for 2 weeks. They gave us one day to acclimate, then load into our trailers. It was bizarre feeling dizzy and asthmatic feeling for a day. The crazy stunt guys decided to do a stair trail on Pike's Peak to see who would pass out and/or barf first. Interesting note: water does not boil at high altitudes and it takes things too cook longer, so our poor caterer didn't get the knack of cooking things until the last day. He had to cook everything the night before, then cook it again the next day.

by Anonymousreply 36June 6, 2020 3:51 AM

[quote] R34] I had to work at Pike's Peak for 2 weeks. They gave us one day to acclimate, then load into our trailers. It was bizarre feeling dizzy and asthmatic feeling for a day.

R36, at over 14,000 feet, I bet you felt dizzy! I survived Cuzco with only mild altitude sickness, but La Paz, Bolivia really kicked my ass. Took a long time to adjust and felt winded just walking a block!

by Anonymousreply 37June 6, 2020 5:04 AM

CNN reports that things aren't so great at lower elevations in Peru:

With 183,000 cases of Covid-19 and more than 5,000 fatalities, Peru now has the second highest number of cases in Latin America after Brazil.

People collapse on the street. Others drag desperately ill relatives to hospitals that won't admit them. Distraught children ask why their parents were left to die. The coronavirus outbreak in Peru is spiraling out of control and experts fear it will only worsen.

Oxygen tanks, an important weapon against the virus, are in short supply, and they have come to symbolize the chaos in Peru. Desperate citizens have turned to a burgeoning black market, with tanks listed for sale at exorbitant prices on social media and e-commerce sites.

by Anonymousreply 38June 6, 2020 1:13 PM

R38, I read that, too. The country is getting slammed at both opposite ends of the Andes (the coast and jungle regions). Very sad. Also makes me think there really is something to this altitude thing..

by Anonymousreply 39June 6, 2020 6:58 PM

Maria von Trapp would've been safe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 6, 2020 9:19 PM

Possibly related and possibly promising -- UK study found that steroid commonly used to prevent acute mountain sickness (AMS) reduced deaths of COVID patients on ventilators by approximately a third.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 16, 2020 8:58 PM

Another article on it:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 16, 2020 9:04 PM

Sounds promising R41

by Anonymousreply 43June 16, 2020 11:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!