Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I can’t do this any longer.

I’ve been sheltering in place since March 3rd. The only times I venture out are for essential errands.

I desperately need a haircut, a mani-pedi, and a wax. I’m making appointments for all of these and I’m going back to the gym with a mask.

My mental health is taking a huge hit. I’ve looked into online classes for specific certifications in my field, and I plan on taking those when the new semester begins, as well as other shit, but being productive while isolating only goes so far.

I’ve spent weeks on mind numbing endeavors, while online, and I realize that I’m very invested in attempting to “escape” just like I used to with drugs and alcohol.

The world is falling apart in front of our eyes, and it has become really overwhelming for some of us who have seen police brutality for decades, and see no change, despite riots or peaceful protests.

Honestly, I don’t believe anything will change as a result of Mr. Floyd’s death. Looting and vandalism aren’t the same as voting someone out of office. Guaranteed all of these assholes stealing shot from stores, aren’t voting come November.

I am tired of seeing this over and over again, and never seeing real change or progress. Every single time we become hopeful, assholes vote for people who do not want progress.

Anyhow, I just needed to vent and rant. But I am going to start re-engaging with my mental health and well-being, y wearing a mask and gloves at places like the gym or a yoga class.

This is just very unhealthy and I need to do something different.

Is anyone else going through this?

by Anonymousreply 104June 4, 2020 1:56 PM

I take it you are not working right now? I'm thankful I can work from home, without that structure and something to keep me busy I think this would have been a lot worse.

by Anonymousreply 1June 2, 2020 1:35 PM

[quote]I desperately need a haircut, a mani-pedi, and a wax.

I hear you.

by Anonymousreply 2June 2, 2020 1:59 PM

You can't cut your own toenails, OP?

by Anonymousreply 3June 2, 2020 2:08 PM

I'm sorry that your mental health is so deeply tied to whether or not you have a mani-pedi.

by Anonymousreply 4June 2, 2020 2:11 PM

R4, 🖕🏽

by Anonymousreply 5June 2, 2020 2:14 PM

OP, come out of the bunker. We're all out and about again.

Turns out it was just a particularly bad flu season.

by Anonymousreply 6June 2, 2020 2:14 PM

OP, please hang in there. I went back to booze about a month ago and now I'm deeply tied to it again. I understand your frustration but please don't make the mistake I did. Also, people poking fun at the mani-pedi must not ever have had one! I would love a mani-pedi and YES it would help my mental health. I wouldn't mind being pampered with a massage, too!

by Anonymousreply 7June 2, 2020 2:15 PM

Wow OP.

Do you even realize that when you said mani-pedi, you turned what might have been a serious post into a troll post?

by Anonymousreply 8June 2, 2020 2:17 PM

As condescending as I know this sounds, whenever I hear people talking about how their mental health is so fragile, all I can think is how feeble and weak they are. I realize that it's an unusual situation, but the silliness of the things that people whine about is laughable.

If folks were bemoaning not seeing their dying loved one who has been hospitalized from the virus - absolutely an emotional hit. Stressing over financial problems caused by not working - definitely.

But, not being able to go to the movies or out to eat in restaurants, "boredom" from having to stay home, and other similar complaints driving people to a mental breakdown is patently absurd.

by Anonymousreply 9June 2, 2020 2:23 PM

I understand how you feel, OP, but for some reason the addition of mani-pedi to your list does make it seem like a princess post from Paris Hilton. We are all missing our old lives, and I imagine it is especially hard for extroverts. Hang in there.

by Anonymousreply 10June 2, 2020 2:37 PM

[quote]patently absurd

R9 You hold the patent on absurdity? You must be making a fortune!

by Anonymousreply 11June 2, 2020 2:40 PM

Hey, I didn’t mean to turn this into a troll thread. It’s just that I was addressing my lack of self care lately.

I haven’t even been able to sit down with my therapist and talk.

I realize that we are still going through a pandemic. But this is really unhealthy for me, as it possibly would be if I were to get CoVid-19.

I’m just lonely, and reaching out.

R9, I don’t know what’s motivating you to be so dismissive and critical, however, I ha r been weak, plenty of times throughout my life, and I’m not a jerk for that. You, however, seem to be unhappier than I, because only an unhappy person would post what you wrote

And to be clear, I’m not experiencing a mental breakdown, I’m just lonely, sitting here by myself, and genuinely miss life pre CoVid-19.

And for the gentleman or lady who cannot stop drinking, my heart goes out to you because it’s such a difficult addiction to manage. Please don’t beat yourself up. Like me, you are also in need of self care, and the way it usually works, is this: the minute you find that you value your health more than the bottle, will be the day you’re ready to make another attempt at remaining abstinent.

Thanks to everyone who responded positively. I love my DLers, and I genuinely appreciate your encouragement.

by Anonymousreply 12June 2, 2020 3:08 PM

People relax with the mani-pedi...the person is on the brink and clearly that means he/she misses their old life, routines, etc.

by Anonymousreply 13June 2, 2020 3:14 PM

MARY, you aren't the only one who's had to make sacrifices. Perhaps you might consider taking your thumb out of your ass and do something for others who's situation is worse than your own. It might make you realize something about yourself and make you appreciate the good things you still have in your life- and

GROW A PAIR!!

by Anonymousreply 14June 2, 2020 3:25 PM

OP? You're a straight woman, aren't you?

by Anonymousreply 15June 2, 2020 3:31 PM

Some people are extroverts like OP and need to be around people, some people are introverts like me and am LOVING quarantine. Even the thought of meeting friends for social distancing whatever is like anathema to me. Although I do miss massages.

by Anonymousreply 16June 2, 2020 3:35 PM

[quote] People relax with the mani-pedi...

How about the wax?

by Anonymousreply 17June 2, 2020 3:38 PM

OP - I totally am in the same boat. I essentially feel I am on the brink of a nervous breakdown. A year ago I lost my job at the same time my father had a devastating stroke that left him paralyzed. I found a new job across the globe and settled into a new country, new job, and was certain he would come here for treatment once winter passed. I met someone I really liked and they turned out to be abusive and toxic. The atmosphere at work is also toxic. Then the country went on military lockdown, I have also been inside since March 8, all flights back to the US are cancelled. I have been stuck in the house and my father could not come because the hospital he was set to get treatment at was taken over by the government. I am alone and the embassy is closed. Working from home has been hell because I am a very extroverted person and usually cheerful. I honestly also feel I can't do this anymore.

by Anonymousreply 18June 2, 2020 3:40 PM

R17 - these are small reminders of the "normal" we have now suddenly lost. I have it available where I live and essentially feel zero motivation. If nobody will see me, I wash and that is all.

by Anonymousreply 19June 2, 2020 4:00 PM

I hear you OP. I've been unemployed and frankly, not looking for work as there just doesn't seem to be much hiring right now.

I was OK for a few weeks, but the past couple of weeks have got me really down. I don't see how COVID will end, I don't know when I'm going to work again, and the riots have just left me sad. I have a feeling we're going to get hit by a Hurricane - why the fuck not? Everything else is going to shit.

The next few months will be a shit storm going up to the election. Trump is going to do some nasty and outrageous shit and I have no confidence that Biden will win. Republicans will do anything to win. If Trump wins again, I really don't know if I will have much hope.

by Anonymousreply 20June 2, 2020 4:04 PM

And my Shih Tzu desperately needs grooming!!!

by Anonymousreply 21June 2, 2020 4:23 PM

OP. What a weak person you are! Maybe grow up or grow a set.

by Anonymousreply 22June 2, 2020 4:30 PM

R22 What a troll you are! Maybe grow up or grow a set.

by Anonymousreply 23June 2, 2020 4:36 PM

Bitch, please. I can count on one hand the times I’ve been to the store since March 11. I’ve missed three funerals (close friend, and two friends’ mothers), my niece’s wedding (just a ceremony with immediate family, reception and honeymoon cancelled), and all of my routine but necessary medical appointments. My cat is dying and needs to be put down. She is on comfort care until restrictions end and I can be with her at the vet while they euthanize her, rather than just leave the carrier in the parking lot and drive away.

I have not seen my parents or siblings since Christmas. I buzzed my hair because I learned that my hair grows out, not down apparently. I am grateful to have a job where I can work from home but am stressed that there will be eventual layoffs. At 52 I’ve gone about as far as I can professionally so career wise, it’s probably game over if I do get laid off. I get at least an hour of cardio a day but I am getting soft. I can’t wait to get back to the gym.

Yes, it all sucks but I am grateful that I didn’t get sick. Grateful I got to spend these last few months with my cat. Glad to have the time to do projects around the house, watch a lot of TV and movies. Lived with my bf since mid-April and realizing that we probably can retire together.

Find your silver linings. If your gym is open and you’re not a high risk and aren’t in contact with anyone who is, go for it. Same with your mani-pedi. In fact, if they are open, I would advise you to go now before a spike or second wave.

by Anonymousreply 24June 2, 2020 4:37 PM

I posted R22 I feel bad. You be you.

by Anonymousreply 25June 2, 2020 4:39 PM

What about those who already had underlying health conditions and mental health issues?

by Anonymousreply 26June 2, 2020 4:50 PM

[quote][R9], I don’t know what’s motivating you to be so dismissive and critical, however, I ha r been weak, plenty of times throughout my life, and I’m not a jerk for that. You, however, seem to be unhappier than I, because only an unhappy person would post what you wrote

I condole you that you believe this pablum...and now fully understand why you feel the way you do.

Perhaps you can create a safe space in your home, or it might be time to get a comfort animal, say a duck to have a baseline for walking like a duck and quacking like a duck?

by Anonymousreply 27June 2, 2020 4:59 PM

Yes, OP, thou art weak. Fall on thy knees and ask the LORD's mercy! Work from dusk until dawn for the benefit of a few and be thankful! Remember, we have institutions for people who don't know their place.

by Anonymousreply 28June 2, 2020 5:37 PM

OP foster an animal- that will give you a purpose, responsibility and companionship.

by Anonymousreply 29June 2, 2020 5:39 PM

these posts read like a competition to see which DLer has had the worst time of it. It's not all about YOU! It's about the OP looking for a little compassion. Geez. We've all missed out on things we normally enjoy.

R24 wins the gold cup for preachiest / most bitter post so far. I feel for you - I really do- but how does it help OP by minimizing his/her problems and expounding on yours?

by Anonymousreply 30June 2, 2020 5:48 PM

R29 - I love animals but did it ever occur to you that some folks can barely take care of themselves when depressed and it would be unfair to the pet to bring him into this?

by Anonymousreply 31June 2, 2020 5:52 PM

“I can’t do this any longer.”

Of course you can.

by Anonymousreply 32June 2, 2020 6:03 PM

We never would have made it through WW2

by Anonymousreply 33June 2, 2020 6:09 PM

R32 - it is way different for people who are young and don't quite grasp the severity of the situation. It is how she was even able to focus in that silly journal

by Anonymousreply 34June 2, 2020 6:40 PM

OP, you want a mani/pedi and a wax????

Your credibility is ZILCH.

Get a job as an essential worker. Millions of people are suffering; count your blessings. You have food, shelter and clothing. You’re much better off than most people.

by Anonymousreply 35June 2, 2020 6:55 PM

R35 - I am not the OP, but I am a nurse and I want a mani-pedi, a wax, a day at the spa after weeks of 24 hour shifts. I work like hell, sleep and work again. This is no way to live. I understand I am lucky to work and have a job, but I also want some semblance of life quality. I worked my ass off in nursing school and in the ICU for 15 years, I paid off debt by taking on double shifts and, at 42, if I can't even enjoy myself once in awhile...fuck it.

by Anonymousreply 36June 2, 2020 7:04 PM

Anne Frank was lucky: she was young when she hid from the Nazis! Abstaining from mani-pedis is literal torture for us adults. I cry when I think about how much relaxation I've had to give up in the comfort of my home.

by Anonymousreply 37June 2, 2020 7:09 PM

I honestly just miss people watching...the energy of a crowd in a flipping mall or museum. I don't care about pampering but just getting the hell out from between four walls. If a mani-padi does it for you, good. I personally enjoyed my coffee and a nice stroll on my day off.

by Anonymousreply 38June 2, 2020 7:12 PM

I hear you, OP. I'm working freelance from home, but my income is very inconsistent.

Felt like a coward for not joining my friends at any of the protests. I'm terrified of getting sick and spreading it to my family, since I'm going home to visit family next month.

by Anonymousreply 39June 2, 2020 8:39 PM

R38: You can still do those things (pickup a cup of coffee and go for a walk?)

by Anonymousreply 40June 2, 2020 8:42 PM

R40 - well my nerves are on edge and I have a lot more troubles than just that...but I go when I can.

by Anonymousreply 41June 2, 2020 9:40 PM

R40 - what is incredible is the demoralizing effect this has had on me. I was a 5 day a week gym goer, highly social, loved to travel and meet people and, have since, sunk into a depression where though I don't show it and keep working, is making it hard to leave the house some days.

by Anonymousreply 42June 2, 2020 10:08 PM

OP, Europe is going back to business as usual. I pity Americans. What a mess. OP I think you should get out more and see people

by Anonymousreply 43June 2, 2020 10:13 PM

R43 - no we aren't really. Just barely opening up and offices will stay closed for another year. Just a few malls and stores and yes, some terraces and cafes but the overall atmosphere is not good and it is palpable if you are over 25. The only people partying and carefree I see are the ones too young to care.

by Anonymousreply 44June 2, 2020 10:15 PM

Mani pedi? Please tell me you're a female

by Anonymousreply 45June 2, 2020 10:27 PM

R45 just lost his gay card

by Anonymousreply 46June 2, 2020 10:28 PM

R43, I agree, which is why I want to start going to the gym again. I like going really early, so that’s actually a good thing, because most people around here don’t hit the gym, and the early crowds are slim to none.

I’ve got to start taking better care of myself. Going to the gym first thing, helps me a lot.

I used to go really early in LA, years ago, and I got in amazing physical shape and felt genuinely happy, because physical exercise helps lots of depression.

I’m going in tomorrow and checking out the scene. If people are wearing masks and social distancing, it should be OK.

Yeah, I do need to see people. Just smiling at total strangers can lift one’s mood plenty.

by Anonymousreply 47June 2, 2020 10:28 PM

I'm sick of people whining about the gym, as if they can't work out at home

I'm sick of people who can't do their own hair or cut their own nails

by Anonymousreply 48June 2, 2020 10:29 PM

I need to go to the gym! There's absolutely no way I can do some push-ups at my house! Or buy an exercise machine!

by Anonymousreply 49June 2, 2020 10:38 PM

Whose message has been to open things up.

Which side of the debate has been protesting to open things up.

Which group has consistently downplayed the severity of the situation and screamed about re-opening to save the economy.

Hi, OP.

by Anonymousreply 50June 2, 2020 10:40 PM

Those shirtless guys in the park doing showy push-ups sure don't need a gym. Not that I'm complaining, but...we get it, bro.

by Anonymousreply 51June 2, 2020 11:16 PM

Mani-pedi. And a wax.

For fuck's sake, stay in hiding and never leave the house again, you ridiculous creature.

by Anonymousreply 52June 2, 2020 11:19 PM

You think you have it bad OP? Poor Barron Trump has been locked up in the bunker. With his father!

by Anonymousreply 53June 2, 2020 11:30 PM

OP is an asshole

by Anonymousreply 54June 2, 2020 11:45 PM

I thank God my barber opened this week. I got my typical buzzcut after 2 months without one. A good haircut makes me feel 10 years younger.

My pilates classes have also resumed, so I can start to get toned again.

by Anonymousreply 55June 2, 2020 11:57 PM

“Needing a haircut” has nothing to do with mental health. Give yourself a buzz cut or grow it out. You want to put others at risk to make yourself feel good. That’s not mental illness, you’re just a dickhead.

by Anonymousreply 56June 3, 2020 12:18 AM

I can't believe you queens fold without your mani-pedis and pilates! Where is the Darfur orphan when you need her.

by Anonymousreply 57June 3, 2020 12:20 AM

I've always hated working out in front of people so when this hit I was set with my treadmill. Even if you have a gym membership, it's pretty cheap to buy a basic (not a pelaton) stationary bike for days when you can't leave the house. Now that the weather is nicer, everyone that's suffering depression should make an effort to take a daily walk around the neighborhood. I promise, you'll feel better!

by Anonymousreply 58June 3, 2020 12:23 AM

Why can't people just jog in place while watching the news or whatever? That's what I do for 45 mins/4x wk. That plus 45 pushups and 45 situps does the trick - for free. Same results as NYSC. I do miss the cruising though!

by Anonymousreply 59June 3, 2020 1:00 AM

Love this article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 3, 2020 1:09 AM

You couldn’t do your own buzz cut R55? It’s real easy. Get clippers, pick a length, and buzz away.

by Anonymousreply 61June 3, 2020 1:35 AM

I've never had a mani-pedi. But now I really, really want one.

Thanks OP!

A new bucket list item.

by Anonymousreply 62June 3, 2020 1:35 AM

R55 typifies the type of infantilized idiot demanding reopening. I’ve given myself 3 buzz cuts since this started. What kind of idiot pays for a buzz cut?

by Anonymousreply 63June 3, 2020 1:41 AM

I let my hair grow out since my last cut in January. I haven’t had hair this long since my 20’s. It’s strange to feel the wind in my hair again. I’m loving it.

by Anonymousreply 64June 3, 2020 1:41 AM

[quote]I'm sick of people whining about the gym, as if they can't work out at home

Exactly. I made sure to do some kind of exercise at home every day during quarantine. While it's not the same as working out with weights at the gym, there are lots of bodyweight routines out there, especially on YouTube.

This guy in particular was a godsend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65June 3, 2020 1:53 AM

Id rather just eat pastries while watching hot dudes workout

by Anonymousreply 66June 3, 2020 1:58 AM

R47 - could've written your post myself

by Anonymousreply 67June 3, 2020 2:15 AM

I agree R47. I am losing my mind being isolated. I just want to say hello to someone. Pet a dog. Feel alive. Go for a run. Build a train set? I don't even care. And I want a haircut too. I can't pull off long hair.

by Anonymousreply 68June 3, 2020 3:55 AM

R68 do not pet a dog without asking and don’t be surprised if its person says no, you can’t pet him. I go for walks every day and the dogs I see are still sad and confused that they’re being ignored.

by Anonymousreply 69June 3, 2020 4:20 AM

What states are you people in that you are so forced into isolation?

by Anonymousreply 70June 3, 2020 7:52 AM

[quote]I realize that we are still going through a pandemic. But

There's no "but" here, pal. We're in the middle of a pandemic. The numbers nationwide are looking as though they've plateaued rather than continued to drop; we'll know more in a few days, I'm sure.

Meanwhile, you should be asking yourself why you feel the need to put others' lives at risk so you can pay someone else to cut your damn toenails.

by Anonymousreply 71June 3, 2020 8:03 AM

[quote]Where is the Darfur orphan when you need her.

At R2. You didn't even read far enough to get to the second reply? Lazy ass.

by Anonymousreply 72June 3, 2020 8:05 AM

Quarantine is ending but the virus hasn't disappeared. Massive protests, each protest gathering larger than the next clearly mean quarantine must end.

by Anonymousreply 73June 3, 2020 10:47 AM

R70 - just being forxed to work at home 8 hours a day is isolating enough

by Anonymousreply 74June 3, 2020 11:22 AM

R73 - there are massive protests about quarantine?

by Anonymousreply 75June 3, 2020 11:32 AM

There are massive protests against police brutality directed against Black American citizens.

These large protest while necessary, are occurring during a health crisis that had most of the US in quarantine for three months.

The rationale is if people are congregating in such large numbers in defiance of quarantine, we can go back to work.

I am not certain these jobs are waiting for all of us.

by Anonymousreply 76June 3, 2020 1:59 PM

[quote]Meanwhile, you should be asking yourself why you feel the need to put others' lives at risk so you can pay someone else to cut your damn toenails.

Because the only people who believe the "we're all gonna die nonsense" are hysterical lunatics. The rest of us have SAFELY been to barbers, cosmeticians, stores, restaurants, shopping malls; i.e., are pursuing life rather than quaking at home.

by Anonymousreply 77June 3, 2020 2:09 PM

I’d also like to know where you’re “sheltering in place.” For the love of God, at least go for a walk.

by Anonymousreply 78June 3, 2020 2:15 PM

Quarantine will not work in a country as large and diverse (fractured?) as the United States.

Some other solution will have to be offered for future health crisis.

by Anonymousreply 79June 3, 2020 2:16 PM

[quote]The rest of us have SAFELY been to barbers, cosmeticians, stores, restaurants, shopping malls; i.e., are pursuing life rather than quaking at home.

The statistics on new infections and deaths begs to differ with your assessment.

Now, whether you believe that 1000 people dying each day is an acceptable loss so that some folks can get hair cuts, go shopping for non-essentials, and eat out with friends, that's a whole separate matter. Of course, you are only going out periodically, so it may not be a big deal to you. But, the odds increase dramatically for people who have to work in those establishments and deal with hundreds of people each day.

So, rephrased, who cares how many other people get sick or die as long as you're not one of them.

by Anonymousreply 80June 3, 2020 2:58 PM

"The rest of us have SAFELY been to barbers, cosmeticians, stores, restaurants, shopping malls; i.e., are pursuing life rather than quaking at home."

Other than 110,000 people who died and the many more people who had to go to the hospital.....

by Anonymousreply 81June 3, 2020 3:15 PM

[quote] Meanwhile, you should be asking yourself why you feel the need to put others' lives at risk so you can pay someone else to cut your damn toenails.

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 82June 3, 2020 3:25 PM

I'm a black and white thinker but I strongly disagree with the " we are all gonna get it so fuck it" mindset.

The purpose of quarantine is reducing the amount of people infected ill /hospitalized and dying at one time.

Most people recover from covid but for those who do not it's not an easy death. I don't understand why this health crisis is minimized.

by Anonymousreply 83June 3, 2020 3:39 PM

I got a haircut last week. Thankfully hair salons have re-opened in my country.

by Anonymousreply 84June 3, 2020 3:41 PM

How is a mani-pedi different from a regular pedicure? Is it just a name to attract male customers?

by Anonymousreply 85June 3, 2020 3:42 PM

Not only that r83, most people recover but we still have no idea if there are any long-term effects of the virus in those who don’t die from it. Like HIV, polio, herpes, etc. Viral infections can continue to wreak havoc on your body after you’ve recovered from the initial infection.

I am planning to work from home as long as possible and will continue social distancing. There is nothing I need or want badly enough to jeopardize my health right now.

by Anonymousreply 86June 3, 2020 3:46 PM

R80 R81 And yet there are billions of people around the world getting on with their lives, unfettered by paranoia and an irrational fear of germs. Some of them are out in the streets of the US looting and protesting, completely unconcerned about that imminent death hysterics love to bludgeon the sane with.

by Anonymousreply 87June 3, 2020 3:56 PM

It seems very shallow to whine about waxing and mani pedis when people are unemployed, sick and hurting.

by Anonymousreply 88June 3, 2020 4:01 PM

Precaution isn't paranoia.

by Anonymousreply 89June 3, 2020 4:10 PM

Make better choices. Only going out for essential errands? Why? Walking around, sitting in the park with a good book, etc. are important. I keep reading people on line saying they are not going outdoors, and I wonder why anyone would make that choice.

Why are you not seeing your therapist? A good Facetime or Zoom session might really help.

You seem to be avoiding things that have no risk, yet now want to do activities (like the nail and hair stuff) that have a risk attached. Why?

by Anonymousreply 90June 3, 2020 4:18 PM

I encountered too many people who refused to social distance while out running errands.

I therefore minimized my time outdoors during quarantine.

by Anonymousreply 91June 3, 2020 4:25 PM

[quote][R80] [R81] And yet there are billions of people around the world getting on with their lives, unfettered by paranoia and an irrational fear of germs. Some of them are out in the streets of the US looting and protesting, completely unconcerned about that imminent death hysterics love to bludgeon the sane with.

Not at all, r87. No one is hysterical.

The facts are that 1000 people per day continue to die from covid-related illnesses with new infections around 20,000 per day. That translates roughly into a ~5% death rate. So, of the 20,000 new cases each day, we can assume that 1000 deaths per day will continue.

Many of us believe that 1000 deaths per day is not acceptable and would rather see that figure go down, not spike back up as it will inevitably do as things re-open. It is likely that we've sufficiently flattened the rate of infections such that we are no longer in danger of wholesale overloading the hospitals and healthcare capabilities even if infections climb and deaths rise. That may be sufficient for you since you can pick and choose when to go out while others cannot and will come into contact with hundreds of people, thus increase the odds that that will be among those 1000 per day dying.

Or put another way, some of us are less selfish and willing to forego luxuries so that other people can reduce the odds of dying. But, that's just me.

Now,

by Anonymousreply 92June 3, 2020 4:36 PM

R91, how is that working out for you?

You have the choice to go somewhere where there are fewer people to walk, or to stay indoors. You chose staying indoors. You could make another choice.

by Anonymousreply 93June 3, 2020 5:01 PM

I have encountered people who deliberately run up on my heels or purposely walk into my path.

I was leaving a store when another customer ran behind me to grab the shopping cart I was returning to be disinfected from under my hands, there were other carts available but he wanted the one I was using.

A jogger coughed forcibly with an open mouth ( no mask) just as he jogged pass me.

What is a disrespectful irritant in normal times I now perceive as a direct threat to my health (in quarantine).

I minimized my time outdoors during quarantine to reduce my risk of contracting this virus and violent confrontations with people who refuse to social distance.

There is no cure for this virus yet.

by Anonymousreply 94June 3, 2020 5:12 PM

R94 that’s crazy, what sort of hell hole do you live in?

If you can’t get your groceries delivered I suggest going when they first open. I can book a reservation through Open Table so I don’t have to wait in line to get in, maybe see if that is an option for you.

I have found plenty of places to walk, run, hike and bike without coming in to contact with others, including a cemetery. It’s very peaceful.

I get outside at least 2x a day. I also set up an outdoor work station so I can work outside part of each day, weather permitting. If you don’t have outdoor space see if you can find a secluded area somewhere in your neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 95June 3, 2020 5:22 PM

Some people are depressed. Yeah I go out and walk, but am essentially online 10 hours a day working and by the time work is over it is late. I am also cooking more so 3 meals takes time. I wish I could walk everyday but some days, where I live it is pouring and at the end of a long day indoors I just want a drink. Not to mention worried about my elderly folks abroad who I can't get to until travel restrictions are lifted. Every day I tell myself I will go for a walk in nature around my place, yet often I just end up going out and having my beer. I am ashamed to admit it, I gained weight.

by Anonymousreply 96June 3, 2020 8:55 PM

R90, my therapist has an active duty husband who is a career military person. Every summer she flies to his base, and spends six weeks with him. That’s why I cannot see her right now.

I have sat down with a therapist who is currently filling in for her, but I haven’t a previous client/therapist relationship with this guy, & I didn’t feel comfortable with him, because he wanted to continue talking after my 50 minutes were up. I ended up getting a weird vibe from him. This happened last year, btw, and when I asked the receptionist who was filling in for my regular therapist, it was the same guy, and I politely declined any sessions, in lieu of meeting with my actual therapist, when she returns.

I got out today and ran some essential errands. As always, I wear my mask and gloves and observe social distancing. I’m still practicing safety measures, and I’m still taking my antidepressants. I’m not on the edge of some mental health breakdown. I’m just over being cooped up 24/7. I’m not going out to socialize and have lunch with friends. I just bought everything necessary to do my own mani-pedi at home, and I’m getting my haircut on Friday, while my hairstylist and I both observe safety with masks and gloves.

I need to get back to working full time, and need to look presentable for interviews. I LOVE working, and if I can get a job that allows me to work from home, or not, I’m taking it, because I feel best when I have a routine I may observe.

by Anonymousreply 97June 3, 2020 10:49 PM

I went on a diet (Lost 20lbs), grew out my hair, whitened my teeth, and got tan from jogging outside. Working from home and not having a 1 hour commute each way has been a God send.

by Anonymousreply 98June 4, 2020 3:00 AM

FFS OP, How in the hell would you deal with a real emergency. What would you do if we were attacked and you suddenly found yourself without power and a phone? How would you deal with not being able to get food ? You really do need to man up. This is nothing but a MINOR inconvenience on our lives relatively speaking.Put things in proper perspective and you will do just fine. Youre stonger than you think.

by Anonymousreply 99June 4, 2020 3:08 AM

R98 - how did you get the motivation? I want to do that because the "woe is me" is becoming annoying to me.

by Anonymousreply 100June 4, 2020 12:39 PM

I saved 10k a month, lost 10 kilos, had my skin lasered by a dermatologist working off the books but in a proper operating room, wrote a screenplay that's been optioned, kept my gardener on site and we redid the pool house, got my French furniture and Swiss watch collections accepted for Christie's auction, funded a corona project in Gabon in collaboration with the Gates Foundation, leased (to sell) my boat out of Antibes, and learned Hebrew.

by Anonymousreply 101June 4, 2020 12:53 PM

R101, I can't speak for R98 but I've been getting almost daily exercise. Without my 1 hour each way commute, I find that I look forward to getting exercise.

I live alone (with my cat) and, after working 9 hours, I feel he and I both need some quiet time. So I log off at 5 and am out walking by about 5:15 pm. Most days, I'll walk for 45 minutes. I live within walking distance of a food store, farmer's market, Walgreens, CVS, Harmon Face Values, 2 pet food and 2 liquor stores. Rather than drive to those places, I walk to them. It also keeps me on budget since I have to carry home what I buy.

Search YouTube for workouts. There are thousands on there. Aerobics, step aerobics, work outs with weights, yoga, pilates, you name it! I found the Reebok Step video yesterday and I can't wait to do it! I already have the step. If today is nice, I'll go for a nice long walk.

You just have to decide to do something nice for yourself. It doesn't have to be a long walk. Start with 20 or 30 minutes. It's nice to feel the sun on your face after being indoors all day. I also encounter others out walking. We just nod or wave and keep going.

Please consider doing something like this for yourself. I'm on WW but allowed myself to gain 3 lbs since working from home. But now, the pity party is over.

by Anonymousreply 102June 4, 2020 1:48 PM

OP at R97, if you’re getting out and running essential errands, good for you. You’ll make it. Go sit in a park, away from other people, just to get out of the house.

by Anonymousreply 103June 4, 2020 1:53 PM

Harmon's Face Values had wipes, liquid soap, hydrogen peroxide, paper towels and tylenol in stock all during quarantine.

by Anonymousreply 104June 4, 2020 1:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!