Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Congresswoman Val Demings (D-FL) as VP pick for Joe Biden ?

What does the DL think? I’m almost afraid to ask. I think she would be great. I was a Kamala fan, but I think the Congresswoman could be the best Black female candidate for the job. Here we go…

by Anonymousreply 114June 19, 2020 6:59 PM

Big fan

by Anonymousreply 1June 1, 2020 11:48 AM

I'm into it.

by Anonymousreply 2June 1, 2020 11:49 AM

I think she would be a great choice. The fact that she was a cop and police chief I think will have some crossover appeal.

My dad is a retired cop and has been all-in on Trump. I can tell he's getting disillusioned with Trump, but too stubborn to admit it yet. He was asking me the other day about the people Joe is considering for VP - he knew about Kamala and Stacey Abrams but hadn't heard of Val. When I told him she was a former cop his ears perked up and he started asking lots of questions about her. My Dad has voted democratic in the past - moreso than republican - so I think Val could be a great bridge to bring him (and others) back to the Dems.

by Anonymousreply 3June 1, 2020 11:51 AM

I read that Jill Biden — I’m sorry, DOCTOR Jill Biden — is advocating for her, so she may be a front-runner.

by Anonymousreply 4June 1, 2020 11:52 AM

She gives Nancy Pelosi competition when it comes to fashion and style. Mama knows how to dress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 1, 2020 11:59 AM

So she gets Anna Wintour's vote. Big deal. Can she handle the presidency?

by Anonymousreply 6June 1, 2020 12:30 PM

Val Demings was great during the impeachment hearings! I had no idea who she was prior to that, but she definitely stood out to me. I think she'd be a great choice.

by Anonymousreply 7June 1, 2020 12:42 PM

I think she's almost certainly going to be who he chooses at this point. Prior to this past week, I'd have thought he'd go with Harris, who gets some cred as a former prosecutor, but after this, particularly given that her first instinct was to write an op ed calling out bad cops have probably moved her into first position.

And I'm definitely in favor. Probably moreso than I would have been with Harris, TBH.

by Anonymousreply 8June 1, 2020 1:06 PM

No. A police chief is the wrong message to send right now -- particularly for the Democrats.

My fave (after Warren) is Susan Rice. Love her!

by Anonymousreply 9June 1, 2020 1:08 PM

Yes to Val. Her husband is a former cop and Mayor of Orange County FL. Val could help Biden win FL. Harris is great, but he doesn't need help in CA.

by Anonymousreply 10June 1, 2020 1:17 PM

I like her.

by Anonymousreply 11June 1, 2020 1:18 PM

If she can help win Florida, Joe should chose her. Trump can't afford to lose Florida. It would make all the difference and Joe would win in a landslide of 375 electoral college votes, plus.

by Anonymousreply 12June 1, 2020 1:29 PM

Anybody but Amy!

Val Demings is the safe choice, but Vice President Biden should also announce his potential cabinet picks in order to placate the malcontents among us.

by Anonymousreply 13June 1, 2020 1:35 PM

No. Shes a cop. Most of us protesting would be insulted by that more than anything. Kamala being a prosecutor isn't great for her right now but this woman was literally a cop.

Like ALL cops, she helped cover up police brutality many times. You have to or the union will get you fired. She's not the one for this moment.

by Anonymousreply 14June 1, 2020 1:39 PM

I don't disagree her department's track record, for which she was responsible during her tenure as chief, isn't neat and tidy. But neither is Harris or Klobuchar's prosecution record so that may be a draw. It's always possible to turn a negative into a positive.

I think he's now compelled to choose one of the talented black women from the list. I think Warren and and Klobuchar have to be excluded now. Harris seems to be a far more compelling candidate for AG now. She's formidable in that space. I think it would a waste to land her as VP.

by Anonymousreply 15June 1, 2020 1:54 PM

R13: IIRC, there is a law that says the Presidential candidate cannot promise any federal jobs before the election. I heard something like that years ago. I think this would especially apply to the cabinet. Maybe someone else knows more about this.

by Anonymousreply 16June 1, 2020 2:00 PM

How can a prosecutor or a police chief be neat and tidy. They're always going to piss someone off.

by Anonymousreply 17June 1, 2020 2:02 PM

I like her but I don't know that much about her.

by Anonymousreply 18June 1, 2020 2:03 PM

No. No cops. Not Val, not Kamala, and sure as fucking hell not Amy Klobuchar who literally hepled the killer cop who started all these protests get away with murder once before. Anyone who has gone to these protests or even just sympthizes with them will turn their backs on Biden. And he will deserve it.

If you want a black woman, pick Keisha Lance Bottoms. A white midwesterner? Gretchen Whitmer. A woman of color whose a senator from a safe blue seat? Tammy Duckworth. Someone who can grab some Bernie people? Elizabeth Warren. There are many option choose from who aren't fascist cops or their servants. No need to spit in the eye of the black people and torpedo his own chances to name a ctroversial cop pick

by Anonymousreply 19June 1, 2020 2:03 PM

Not familiar, R16, but that does make sense.

What I would hope, however, is that within the hour of making the announcement it gets amplified verbatim by every also-ran...and Pete.

by Anonymousreply 20June 1, 2020 2:07 PM

He needs to pick someone who hasn't been in the spotlight yet.

by Anonymousreply 21June 1, 2020 2:11 PM

He needs to pick ME.

by Anonymousreply 22June 1, 2020 2:12 PM

He needs to pick me, Meghan Miracle!

by Anonymousreply 23June 1, 2020 2:16 PM

I’m sorry, R19, but Biden-Bottoms doesn’t have a great Presidential ring to it.

And I think most black people would be supportive of Demings. Just like I said black people would rally for Joe.

by Anonymousreply 24June 1, 2020 2:18 PM

Biden Bottoms has a hell of a ring to it... just not a helpful ring.

But, my God, could it be fun...

by Anonymousreply 25June 1, 2020 2:20 PM

Kamala for Attorney General.

by Anonymousreply 26June 1, 2020 2:28 PM

I think Harris is the frontrunner and would be a strong choice.

But Demings stock is rising... a strong, competent black woman congress member, and former police chief is the right mix of characteristics for this moment. And her communication style is a good contrast/support for Joe. Non-nonsense, clear, direct.

by Anonymousreply 27June 1, 2020 2:42 PM

I agree with choosing Demings. She's from the mother of swing states, she was amazing in the impeachment hearings, and at this point, considering what's happening right now, a black woman has to be on the ticket. And Kamala as AG is a perfect choice.

by Anonymousreply 28June 1, 2020 2:47 PM

Most swing states could not be affected that much by the VP pick... not anymore. But FL is very gettable this election and Trump has no path to an electoral college win without FL. And I think Demings would have an impact in FL...

On a completely different track... most national black politicians (Obama, Harris) are mixed-race. Demings is really black.. beautiful in that dark-skinned African way. It's time.

by Anonymousreply 29June 1, 2020 2:53 PM

Demings is my choice, not that anyone ever listens to me. Val does not have the problems with the black community that Kamala has. Val can speak to everyone and calm shit down. Biden/Demings

by Anonymousreply 30June 1, 2020 2:59 PM

R30 Here's the graphic: Joe and Val 2020

by Anonymousreply 31June 1, 2020 3:07 PM

If you were in anyway surprised by the scale and energy of these protests, you have no idea what the political forces drive the black community are. Maybe don't be so cavalier about insisting you know what black people will and won't accept again?

I am black. Val Demings would not be acceptable to a large swath of black people. Not any of the ones protesting now surely and many of their friends and family. You saying they will like her on a 95% white message board looks more silly than a lot of you realize.

by Anonymousreply 32June 1, 2020 3:51 PM

Demings was a chief cop in a Southern city with a record of police brutality. Bad optics.

by Anonymousreply 33June 1, 2020 3:55 PM

R32 Point taken. But this sounds also like much of criticism of Obama in spring, 2016.

by Anonymousreply 34June 1, 2020 3:56 PM

I am also black, R32, and I think the specifics of her record are and will need to be looked at very carefully. The “Kamela is a cop” ideology was pushed very heavily by the Bernie Bros who are now either begrudgingly onboard or just plain bored.

I bet the vetting team is going over everything with a fine toothed saladcomb and that is fine. Actually, better than fine, it is responsible. And it also gives the comms people a chance to draft a response if she is chosen to be the nominee.

All that being said, I also have a relative who CLAIMS to have intel that part of the deal with James Clyburn to get his endorsement all of those years ago (February) was Joe would give preference to Kamela.

by Anonymousreply 35June 1, 2020 4:07 PM

R35 Yes I agree with you that of the three, Kamala is the least problematic. She was not literally a cop who helped cover these abuses up. She also has not gone out of her way to get cops off for crimes they commit like Amy Klobuchar.

But why pick someone with this vulnerability at all? In a moment like what we're experiencing now? There are many women, even women of color who just do not have issues there whatsoever. Why not pick them? I don't understand the insistence from some people Kamala must be on the ticket. I am neutral towards her. But I'm definitely not willing to weaken the ticket for her. We do not need weeks of Biden explaining away each questionable prosecutorial practice of hers.

by Anonymousreply 36June 1, 2020 4:14 PM

[quote]I am black. Val Demings would not be acceptable to a large swath of black people.

I am also black. And a lot of the black people, including me, are very positive towards Demings being the pick.

So I think the only thing that we've proven here is that just like everyone else, black people are not monolithic.

by Anonymousreply 37June 1, 2020 4:41 PM

A democrat needs more than 87%ish of the black vote and good turnout to win a national election. That is not my opinion, that is fact.

If Biden even got only 75% of the black vote or black turnout was down just 10% from 2016, it would mathematically impossible for Joe Biden to win. So yes, it does very much matter whether "some" or "close to zero" black voters find a pick problematic. Demings is a very far way off from "close to zero" black people having a problem with her

by Anonymousreply 38June 1, 2020 4:52 PM

[Quote] Demings is a very far way off from "close to zero" black people having a problem with her.

May I ask for Numbers and your source?

by Anonymousreply 39June 1, 2020 4:59 PM

Harris is of no value in the midwest and south. Biden will sweep CA on his own.

by Anonymousreply 40June 1, 2020 5:01 PM

So R38, out of curiosity, who are you leaning towards?

by Anonymousreply 41June 1, 2020 5:03 PM

R39 My source is the massive protests in 48 cities over policies brutality. You can't seriously think it just won't come up that she ran a department KNOWN for being likely to engage in police brutality. And as their leader she has helped cover it up.

You may be willing to ignore that because you already stan her some reason. But most Americans have no idea who she is. Their introduction to her will be a long messy investigation of her and departments atrocious record.

by Anonymousreply 42June 1, 2020 5:04 PM

R41 I don't currently have a favorite. I generally supported Warren in the primary but I also think Biden's Veep needs to be younger.

In R19 I described four choices I think would all be broadly non-controversial. I don't think there are disqualifying downsides to any of those four. Tammy Baldwin could also be very good but it's not a sure thing Dems hold her Senate seat.

by Anonymousreply 43June 1, 2020 5:08 PM

Anyone who has a background in law enforcement is gonna have trouble getting support. Kamala is called Kopmala by the black community.

by Anonymousreply 44June 1, 2020 5:15 PM

Whoever it is they will have data on the impact of the pick and have consulted those who need to be consulted and the decision will be highly influenced by the measurement. He's not just sitting in a room with aides and wall board. Well, these days he might be, but you follow...

by Anonymousreply 45June 1, 2020 5:16 PM

Thanks for responding R43. I'm still Team Val, but I take your point and understand it. My personal choice before Val was Sally Yates. But I think it has to be a black woman. I don't know much about Bottoms, but I will check her out.

by Anonymousreply 46June 1, 2020 5:20 PM

Sally Yates would be great.

by Anonymousreply 47June 1, 2020 5:21 PM

[quote]I don't know much about Bottoms

Oh please, you're on the Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 48June 1, 2020 5:21 PM

R26 OMG, I think you are on to something there. I want that bumper sticker on my car - Biden Bottoms. And maybe even with a very small pride logo discretely hidden somewhere in the logo. DL will go into hyper overdrive with that to work with.

by Anonymousreply 49June 1, 2020 5:26 PM

Sally Yates AG.

by Anonymousreply 50June 1, 2020 5:28 PM

Wait so Biden is a bottom?

by Anonymousreply 51June 1, 2020 5:36 PM

If Demings were being considered for veep on the GOP ticket, it would be insane to choose a former cop. But not on the Democrat's ticket. Val or Kamala are my top potential running mate picks!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 1, 2020 5:41 PM

I became smitten with Val during the impeachment hearings. She's well spoken, smart, and sassy.

But gurl needs to work on her wig game.

by Anonymousreply 53June 1, 2020 6:05 PM

Her story will result in my Best Actress Oscar*

by Anonymousreply 54June 1, 2020 6:34 PM

I particularly liked Demmings's calling out of the Minnesota cops: What the hell are you doing? I'd love to see her debate Pence.

I love Mayor Lightfoot, too, but doubt a lesbian could get very close to being picked.

by Anonymousreply 55June 1, 2020 6:47 PM

Orlando Police Complaints in the Spotlight as African-American Ex-Chief Runs for Congress Val Demings has unique appeal as an African-American former police chief running for Congress. But the department she ran has a history of excessive-force complaints now coming under scrutiny.

Democrats believe they have found a rising star in Central Florida: Val Demings, the African-American former chief of the Orlando Police Department, who is running for Congress in 2016.

First, though, she will have to navigate the complicated national dialogue on police brutality and criminal justice, a conversation that has changed dramatically since Democrats first tapped the tough-on-crime Demings as a candidate for higher office.

When Demings first ran for Congress in 2012, discussion of her tenure leading the OPD tended to start and stop at one statistic: a 43.6 percent drop in violent crime from 2007 to 2011, according to FBI reports. But over the last year, a string of highly publicized shootings and violent arrests of African Americans by police has changed the criteria that voters and the media use to judge officeholders on law enforcement.

The growing focus on police misconduct highlights less agreeable aspects of Demings’s time helming the Orlando Police Department from 2007 to 2011.

The department has a long record of excessive-force allegations, and a lack of transparency on the subject, dating back at least as far as Demings’s time as chief. From 2010 to 2014, the department paid out more than $3.3 million in damages following at least 47 lawsuits alleging false arrest, excessive force, and other complaints against the department’s officers, according to WFTV. (Records about these cases and other allegations of police misconduct in Orlando are not centrally housed or publicized, and some lawsuits are still outstanding.)

"This has been a problem for a while, through her administration and others. The problem is the leadership of the department,” said Lawanna Gelzer, president of the National Action Network’s Central Florida chapter. “… She’s not going to get my vote.”

Demings declined to comment on her record as police chief. Her campaign referred questions to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, which also did not comment.

Demings has not spoken out about criminal justice since she announced her 2016 congressional run, but it will be hard to avoid. Before she became a candidate, she became a recurring guest discussing police news on MSNBC, where she highlighted her efforts to improve relations between her police department and city residents. Now, she is a leading contender for Congress in an Orlando district Democrats should win next year. After running in a GOP-leaning swing district in 2012, losing narrowly to Republican Rep. Daniel Webster, next year she has to get through a Democratic primary in a majority-minority seat.

She has a reputation for taking a holistic approach to policing that could get more play this time around. Stephanie Porta, a progressive organizer who supported Demings for Orange County mayor in 2014, said one of Demings’s biggest accomplishments was launching a project that included providing childcare and constructing a park at a crime-ridden apartment complex, which helped reduce crime there. (Demings ended up dropping out of the mayoral race.)

The lawsuits against the Orlando Police Department were not a major knock against Demings in her last congressional run, though another part of her police record came in for criticism: Demings was censured in 2009 after her gun was stolen from her unlocked truck.

But progressive activist Mike Cantone said the issue has gotten much more local attention recently, partly because of the national focus on relations between law enforcement and minorities, and partly because more excessive-force lawsuits and other complaints have finally worked their way through the legal system.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56June 1, 2020 8:58 PM

Back in 2008, an Orlando Weekly expose described the Orlando Police Department as “a place where rogue cops operate with impunity, and there’s nothing anybody who finds himself at the wrong end of their short fuse can do about it.”

Demings responded defensively: “Looking for a negative story in a police department is like looking for a prayer at church,” she wrote in an Orlando Sentinel op-ed. “It won't take long to find one.”

In the same op-ed, Demings cast doubt on video evidence that conflicted with officers’ statements in excessive force cases, writing, “a few seconds (even of video) rarely capture the entire set of circumstances.”

The excessive-force complaints continued throughout Demings’s tenure. In 2010, an officer flipped an 84-year-old man upside down and broke his neck after the man became belligerent. Demings initially said “the officer performed the technique within department guidelines,” but a federal jury later disagreed, awarding the victim $880,000 in damages. Demings has stayed in the spotlight—and on the record—on law-enforcement issues since retiring as police chief, and her statements on police accountability seem to have evolved. In October 2014, she appeared on an MSNBC segment on the use of smartphone video to hold police accountable and touted the Orlando Police Department’s tests with body cams and “other recording devices."

“One of the things that I always try to portray to the police officers is that videos are good because they not only protect the public, but they also protect the police officers,” Demings said on TV.

In an MSNBC appearance in June of this year, Demings called for a national database of police shootings.

If she is able to win a congressional seat on her second try, Demings could become an important national spokesperson on policing. She faces Democratic primary opponents in a Democratic-leaning district: State Sen. Geraldine Thompson is running, while former state Democratic Party chair Bob Poe and state Sen. Gary Siplin are considering it. But none of those candidates have run for Congress before, and Demings came within 3.4 percentage points of beating Webster in a tougher district in 2012.

Plus, Florida Democrats are always looking to lengthen a short bench of talent that could conceivably run for statewide office, and Demings has already attracted attention from future-focused state Democrats.

“Val is strong campaigner; she has an amazing profile,” said Steve Vancore, a Tallahassee-based Democratic consultant. “She’s a bit of dream candidate.”

That may still be the case. But Demings is bound to face different questions and tests this campaign than when she burst onto House Democrats’ radar in 2012.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57June 1, 2020 9:00 PM

R56/R57 is from 2015

by Anonymousreply 58June 1, 2020 9:01 PM

What r56/r57 posted is just the beginning. You don't pick a VP to give yourself more problems and things you have to defend. The first rule of any VP choice is "Do No Harm"

by Anonymousreply 59June 1, 2020 9:13 PM

Petty as it may seem, there are many Black men (and more than a few Black women) who will not support a Senator Harris vice presidential candidacy based on her being married to a White man. Visualize the platform optics: three Whites (the Bidens and Sen. Harris's husband) outnumbering the lone POC, Sen. Harris.

Incredible that such thoughts are still being entertained in the year 2020 you might say but, too, who would have thought our Black citizenry would still be subjected to lynchings this far down the line.

by Anonymousreply 60June 2, 2020 3:41 AM

[quote] I bet the vetting team is going over everything with a fine toothed saladcomb and that is fine.

WTF?!!! Where can I get one of those "saladcombs"? Asking for a friend.

by Anonymousreply 61June 2, 2020 3:44 AM

[quote] Harris is of no value in the midwest and south. Biden will sweep CA on his own.

That is no longer the calculus. Kaine gave Virginia to HRC but nothing else.

Behind the scenes, Obama has spoken up for Harris as VP.

by Anonymousreply 62June 2, 2020 3:48 AM

I like Obama a lot. He was an immensely talented politician. One of the best I've ever seen. But he has not been as great at picking out talent in others. It was him who first pushed Beto into the presidential race. I like Beto too, but he was not ready for that race. I think he can get there one day but he and democrats would have been better off if Beto ran for Senate again this year.

Obama tends to think many young, intelligent, moderately charismatic people will turn out to be political savants like he did. But most don't. I don't think he sees his own uniqueness. In 2008, he beat Hillary at the height of her influence in Democratic politics. While Beto and Harris were crushed by Biden this cycle

by Anonymousreply 63June 2, 2020 3:56 AM

Is she a lesbian?

She seems somewhat butch.

by Anonymousreply 64June 2, 2020 4:04 AM

[Quote] Petty as it may seem, there are many Black men (and more than a few Black women) who will not support a Senator Harris vice presidential candidacy based on her being married to a White man. Visualize the platform optics: three Whites (the Bidens and Sen. Harris's husband) outnumbering the lone POC, Sen. Harris.

Incredible that such thoughts are still being entertained in the year 2020 you might say but, too, who would have thought our Black citizenry would still be subjected to lynchings this far down the line.

Petty, yes, but also realistic. I distinctly remember some "conservatives" claiming they couldn't vote for Obama not because he's black but because he's HALF black. Kamela is half black, half Indian and Douglass is Jewish

by Anonymousreply 65June 2, 2020 4:13 AM

sorry, Douglas

by Anonymousreply 66June 2, 2020 4:15 AM

Biden could pick a single serving of mashed potatoes for VP and I would still enthusiastically vote Democratic all the way up and down the ticket.

by Anonymousreply 67June 2, 2020 4:16 AM

Hold out for the graxy, R67.

You. Are. Worth. It!

by Anonymousreply 68June 2, 2020 4:19 AM

[quote] Petty as it may seem, there are many Black men (and more than a few Black women) who will not support a Senator Harris vice presidential candidacy based on her being married to a White man. Visualize the platform optics: three Whites (the Bidens and Sen. Harris's husband) outnumbering the lone POC, Sen. Harris.

Not petty, a complete fiction. Blacks only turn away from black candidates who are politically misaligned with the interests of the black community. Interracial marriage, biracial, triracial -- blacks will vote for Harris. I am unaware of any instance where blacks failed to support a black candidate because of biracial heritage or interracial marriage.

by Anonymousreply 69June 2, 2020 5:00 AM

She's my pick! Very impressed with her during the impeachment trial. Impressed with her husband, too, when he was interviewed last week on TV.

by Anonymousreply 70June 2, 2020 5:03 AM

R62 If Harris is the VP pic, the Republicans will turn and focus on Harris and run against California liberalism and then we lose.

She’s of no value.

by Anonymousreply 71June 2, 2020 5:14 AM

Whoever uncle Joe picks, the Republicans are going to find some way to criticize her.

He could pick the Virgin Mary and it’d be too young, too Catholic, too ethnic, show us your birth certificate.

by Anonymousreply 72June 2, 2020 10:07 AM

R72 of course they will try. That doesn't mean everyone equally vulnerable to attack. Bernie Bros said the same thing "GOP will call anyone a radical socialist so why no nominate one"

Obviously those attacks have not stuck on Biden at all. They would have on Sanders

by Anonymousreply 73June 2, 2020 10:17 AM

I don’t disagree with you on that R73.

I am just saying we shouldn’t eat up our insides worrying that Joe won’t pick an impossibly perfect VP. Or get so overly invested in our own favorite candidate that we get disheartened when he picks someone else.

by Anonymousreply 74June 2, 2020 10:29 AM

There is no perfect pick. The right will always malign and if there was a perfect candidate then they would make shit up. I agree with ElderLez we can't be so invested in this. And Hillary would have won VA without Tim Kaine.

by Anonymousreply 75June 2, 2020 11:35 AM

I think Keisha Lance Bottoms would be a great pick. She’s a very good speaker, has a lot of experience in public service, was a former judge.

by Anonymousreply 76June 2, 2020 12:21 PM

It will definitely be a black woman at this point, so Klobuchar is out. I think Harris is probably the most experienced on the national stage and ready to be President on day one.

by Anonymousreply 77June 2, 2020 12:22 PM

Why do people have so much baggage? Can anyone do their job without corruption?

by Anonymousreply 78June 2, 2020 1:41 PM

I like Harris. I like Demmings. I'd be okay with either.

by Anonymousreply 79June 2, 2020 1:41 PM

[Quote] Why do people have so much baggage? Can anyone do their job without corruption?

Tim Kaine doesn't seem to have much baggage but he was deemed too boring.

Hillary has more baggage than Louis Vuitton but...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80June 2, 2020 1:50 PM

Agreed. Any VP he picks will be exorciated for her "liberalism" -- and having the audacity to have a vagina.

by Anonymousreply 81June 2, 2020 6:09 PM

Last night I watched news video showing cops on one knee, cops reaching out to black folk, black folk interacting joyously with Biden, a black youth crying in the arms of a cop, whites and blacks together protesting for justice. The chief of police in my town on one knee among protesters. People happily getting their photos taken along side him.

As said above, whoever Biden picks the right will malign. It's what they do. Lie, smear, and destroy.

Demings, whatever her record, will be able to explain it and reach out in a way to ease conflict and bridge a gap between the law and Black and other Americans. She was measured in her speech, so clear on what is right and wrong during the impeachment trial, I think anyone would be proud to see her as VP. Her Washinton Post OP ED is attached.

That said, I will support the ticket whoever Biden selects. I'm trusting him to be wise, he knows how crucial this is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82June 2, 2020 6:24 PM

Demmings might be the actual right person for VP

by Anonymousreply 83June 2, 2020 6:39 PM

WOW I just learned she is 63 years old! She looks GREAT.

Except for the obvious wig.

by Anonymousreply 84June 2, 2020 8:16 PM

R84 Good luck finding an older black female politician that doesn't wear a wig.

I said over a month ago that Val Demings would be in the top two pics for Biden. Being a former Police Chief of Orlando will appeal to most older black voters and plenty of non-black voters. That is direct experience in a critical domain at this point. She knows how to campaign well.

At this point, Biden will need to pick a black woman. Kamala, Val, and Susan Rice have credentials that fit well enough for Biden to confidently justify.

Stacey Abrams has no elected experience beyond the Georgia Legislature. She's been too aggressive campaigning for the job.

by Anonymousreply 85June 2, 2020 8:43 PM

[quote][R84] Good luck finding an older black female politician that doesn't wear a wig.

Ayanna Pressley, who admittedly is only 46, recently came out about her alopecia and has mostly stopped wearing them.

by Anonymousreply 86June 2, 2020 8:50 PM

[quote] Being a former Police Chief of Orlando will appeal to most older black voters

This is the middle of the largest civic unrest against police brutality against the black people in 50 years 🙃 Love this website but sometimes y'all make me just want to throw my phone against the wall

by Anonymousreply 87June 2, 2020 8:58 PM

[quote]sometimes y'all make me just want to throw my phone against the wall.

Naomi?

by Anonymousreply 88June 2, 2020 10:01 PM

Things looking good for Val.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89June 4, 2020 3:22 PM

I can imagine the Veep debate. She'd terrify Pence.

by Anonymousreply 90June 4, 2020 3:27 PM

He'd probably have to ask Mother's permission before even agreeing to it.

by Anonymousreply 91June 4, 2020 3:29 PM

She'd probably sit on stage with him.

by Anonymousreply 92June 4, 2020 3:29 PM

I'd like to see her strong arm trump and toss him across the room, before running over him with her Harley.

by Anonymousreply 93June 4, 2020 9:19 PM

Has she ever done meth in a South Beach hotel room with a gay prostitute?

by Anonymousreply 94June 4, 2020 9:22 PM

R94, what does this reference?

by Anonymousreply 95June 4, 2020 10:07 PM

Google those words, R95, you'll see.

by Anonymousreply 96June 4, 2020 10:15 PM

Val Demings is way more qualified for a national ticket than Trump was in 2016. She had local government executive experience and is a current member of Congress. She may have some baggage that opponents may try to exploit. But all politicians have some baggage. Perhaps her baggage is relatively minimal, and she can handle effectively the negative attacks Republican will try to unleash. I believe she would be a wise choice.

by Anonymousreply 97June 5, 2020 1:49 AM

[quote] She'd probably sit on stage with him.

"It's okay, Momma's Baby. Go on and tell the nice black lady all the wonderful things you've done for black people."

by Anonymousreply 98June 5, 2020 2:47 PM

Silly. She’s been in the House since 2017. Everyone’s into her because of her performance during the hearings. We know nothing about her.

by Anonymousreply 99June 5, 2020 2:53 PM

R99, you have plenty of time to learn about her, now. That’s what the vetting process is all about. Even seemingly unknown, unsuccessful Congresspeople can rise to the occasion when called, after proper vetting.

by Anonymousreply 100June 5, 2020 4:15 PM

So WaPo has a picking poll (linked below) where you rank certain criteria and it picks your VP nominee for you. It's superficial but interesting.

I came out as a tie between the Governor of New Mexico and Kamala Harris. I thought I didn't like Harris but based on my answers she was my preferred pick. It must just be her irrational fangurls here I don't like!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101June 5, 2020 8:59 PM

I got a tie between Tammy Baldwin and Demings.

I unfortunately think a lesbian is a bridge too far right now.

by Anonymousreply 102June 5, 2020 9:34 PM

I got Baldwin, but have never heard of her!

by Anonymousreply 103June 5, 2020 9:55 PM

My number one choice is Duckworth but I don't know if she's still in the running. Number two would be Susan Rice followed by Val Demings.

by Anonymousreply 104June 5, 2020 9:59 PM

Val Demings made a strong showing on "The View" today. She seems pragmatic and she speaks in a way that will not intimidate voters. My only reservation is whether she has the ability to be an executive at the national level.

by Anonymousreply 105June 15, 2020 6:19 PM

I think the VIEW ladies loved her. Maybe not Megan, though.

by Anonymousreply 106June 15, 2020 8:07 PM

I hope Val Demings. She may be our only hope due to Florida. Although scumbag Florida governor, along with Marco Rubio, have already said they will "Hand Florida to Trump" so obviously they are planning on rigging FL (again).

by Anonymousreply 107June 15, 2020 8:20 PM

I like her, but I simply can’t picture her as the President. She was the Chief of Police for Orlando, FL for four years and has been a member of the House for three years. That is a very thin resume. There are others who are better prepared to step in should anything happen to Biden. Or to run for President if Biden keeps his promise to be a one-term President.

by Anonymousreply 108June 15, 2020 8:25 PM

Based on her appearance on the view today, it's clear she wants to be veep. She's only outdone by Abrams in how bad they want it. I wish they wouldn't do that as the prize is playing second fiddle to an old white guy.

#BidenHarris2020

by Anonymousreply 109June 15, 2020 8:43 PM

r104, Duckworth doesn't have a leg to stand on.

by Anonymousreply 110June 16, 2020 12:28 AM

The question is not what Democrats think of her but what independent voters think of her? They account for 38 percent of the electorate and they will decide the election. Is Demings ready to run for president in 2024? Is she a good face for the party in 2024?

by Anonymousreply 111June 16, 2020 12:59 AM

Biden's team will thoroughly scrutinize the backgrounds of all the top prospects. Biden knows all the prominent Democrats in the Legislative branch and will receive much input. Current and former party leaders and campaign operatives will weigh-in. They'll probably do some focus group analyses.

Certain information on the assessment of each candidate will be held confidential and the public will not hear about it.

All of them have some baggage or drawbacks. It becomes a question which vulnerabilities can be overcome in a national campaign.

Each has also their attributes. It will be a determination who offers the most strength in garnering votes and doesn't do harm.

by Anonymousreply 112June 16, 2020 10:45 PM

R110..that was so bad it was good!

by Anonymousreply 113June 19, 2020 6:18 PM

If it’s not going to be Michelle Obama, Demings would be my pick.

by Anonymousreply 114June 19, 2020 6:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!