Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Chariots of Fire (1981)

Worth checking out? Unbelievably I have never seen this. It has be better than Reds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 1, 2020 6:14 PM

Excellent film, OP. Many today may not understand the significance, but in my opinion it's subtly riveting.

by Anonymousreply 1May 31, 2020 8:12 PM

I loved this film when I was in high school (and obsessed with the UK and Oxford in particular) but haven't seen it in a long time and not sure how it's held up

by Anonymousreply 2May 31, 2020 8:12 PM

I loved it

by Anonymousreply 3May 31, 2020 8:12 PM

It's a decent film with some good eye candy. I had a crush on Nigel Havers back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 4May 31, 2020 8:12 PM

You better like watching men run, otherwises it's a bloody bore.

by Anonymousreply 5May 31, 2020 8:12 PM

It is by no means better than Reds.

by Anonymousreply 6May 31, 2020 8:19 PM

Oops, just realized it was filmed in Cambridge, not Oxford

by Anonymousreply 7May 31, 2020 8:21 PM

I thought it was better than Reds

by Anonymousreply 8May 31, 2020 8:35 PM

R2 same here. I graduated high school in 1984 so this was an early high school obsession of mine. I was all about everything U.K. since I hated the Reagan America of my youth. Lots of handsome guys, Nigel, Ben Cross, Ian Charleston who later died of AIDS, and Brad Davis, another AIDS fatality.

by Anonymousreply 9May 31, 2020 8:38 PM

^Ian Charlson

by Anonymousreply 10May 31, 2020 8:38 PM

I know the theme song ended up being used for parody scenes in later films and skits, but I enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 11May 31, 2020 9:11 PM

Needed some homosex.

by Anonymousreply 12May 31, 2020 9:14 PM

I saw it when it was first in theaters. I don't remember a lot about it, except that it was very long. I do remember hunky little Brad Davis being in one scene and thinking it was odd that he was an American actor in a British movie and that he had no lines, even though he had been a big star for a while when this movie came out.

by Anonymousreply 13May 31, 2020 10:07 PM

r13 he had a couple lines, iirc. And his accent seemed VERY American, but maybe it was because it was juxtaposed with the English/Scottish accents of the other actors

by Anonymousreply 14May 31, 2020 10:10 PM

R14 don't remember him speaking in the movie, but then again, my memories of it are fuzzy.

by Anonymousreply 15May 31, 2020 10:17 PM

Brad was playing one of the American runners, that's why he didn't use a British accent

by Anonymousreply 16May 31, 2020 10:23 PM

Oh I know, r16. But for whatever reason the accent stood out to me as very pronounced . That's why I remembered he had a speaking part

by Anonymousreply 17May 31, 2020 10:25 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 31, 2020 10:28 PM

^ I forgot Dennis Christopher was in it, too

by Anonymousreply 19May 31, 2020 10:30 PM

Oh wait - maybe Dennis Christopher had the heavy American accent.

I'm going to have to watch this again ...

by Anonymousreply 20May 31, 2020 10:32 PM

I remember seeing it at a matinee when it opened. I found it kinda boring—the guy I was with sobbed through the ending. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 21May 31, 2020 10:32 PM

I remember seeing the trailer for this and the music was riveting from the first note. The camera work of them running along the beach was like something you had never quite seen before. I'd always wished that Ben Cross became a bigger star. I think Reds is a truly important film but I wonder if I would have voted for CoF anyway. What I like about it is its complete Englishness. A story like that, about duty and honor, discipline and devotion, doesn't have enough thrills for an American, though it was very popular. Every part of it was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 22May 31, 2020 10:33 PM

I saw The English Patient with two friends who wept at the end, while I sat dry-eyed and bored silly,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 31, 2020 10:35 PM

[quote]Charleson's death was the first celebrity death in the United Kingdom openly attributed to AIDS

I didn't realize this

by Anonymousreply 24May 31, 2020 10:38 PM

[quote]What I like about it is its complete Englishness. A story like that, about duty and honor, discipline and devotion, doesn't have enough thrills for an American, though it was very popular. Every part of it was perfect.

I loved the scene at Oxford with the long list of names documenting the impact of the Great War on that sector of society. Something that would never happen again. But very English, very Victorian.

The scene that introduced the American athletes was funny.

Loved all the clothes Ben Cross' American girlfriend wore. My favorite fashion detail was the blazers instead of sweatshirts on the British competitors.

Below the opening scene - 3 minutes long.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 31, 2020 11:03 PM

Sorry, posted the set of clips set to Vangelis' theme. Here's is the wonderful opening scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 31, 2020 11:08 PM

I found REDS to be painful. But it was an eternity ago since I saw it.

by Anonymousreply 27May 31, 2020 11:18 PM

I hadn't watched that intro in forever, r26. Thanks!

I always thought the man, the boy, and the dog were the perfect ending for it.

by Anonymousreply 28May 31, 2020 11:39 PM

Actually, either Atlantic City or Raiders of the Lost Ark would have been more interesting BP choices.

by Anonymousreply 29June 1, 2020 12:29 AM

Raiders of the Lost Ark was great, but action/adventure isn't Oscar's favorite "jandra"

by Anonymousreply 30June 1, 2020 12:33 AM

Seriously, no homosex?

by Anonymousreply 31June 1, 2020 12:36 AM

[quote] I found REDS to be painful.

I know it's blasphemy, but I felt the same way about Raging Bull.

by Anonymousreply 32June 1, 2020 3:49 PM

SCTV did a great parody.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 1, 2020 5:06 PM

R33 LOL! Why do I remember this more than I remember the actual "Chariots of Fire" movie?

by Anonymousreply 34June 1, 2020 5:09 PM

The Executive Producer was Princess Diana's boyfriend and fellow-passenger-fatality Dodi Fayed.

by Anonymousreply 35June 1, 2020 5:45 PM

The Chariots of Fire theme by Vangelis takes me back to my first gay experience (in London, where I was a 17 year old American exchange student). The older guy (26) that I was with played this when we were talking in his living room before he made his move on me.

by Anonymousreply 36June 1, 2020 6:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!