Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Most undeserving acting oscar winner ever

I'm sure we'll get a lot of opinions here.

by Anonymousreply 291June 23, 2020 2:14 AM

Rami Malek's diarrhea performance in Bohemian Tragedy. That was a bad impersonation rather than a nuanced performance.

by Anonymousreply 1May 31, 2020 5:15 PM

There are so many. I'll add Helen Hunt to the long list.

by Anonymousreply 2May 31, 2020 5:17 PM

Happily, we've been able to escape each threatened possibility.

by Anonymousreply 3May 31, 2020 5:18 PM

And the oscar for best Harvey Weinstein cocksucker goes to Jennifer Lawrence.

by Anonymousreply 4May 31, 2020 5:19 PM

Helen Hunt

by Anonymousreply 5May 31, 2020 5:19 PM

I also came here to post Helen Hunt. Jennifer Lawrence wouldn't have even be nominated in a more competitive year, let alone win.

by Anonymousreply 6May 31, 2020 5:22 PM

Jean Dujardin for The Artist

Roberto Benigni for Life is Beautiful, especially given his competition that year.

by Anonymousreply 7May 31, 2020 5:28 PM

Jean Dujardin, The Artist

by Anonymousreply 8May 31, 2020 5:28 PM

No, OP. There are many placing first.

Portman and Emma Stone, Helen Hunt and Sandra Bullock and Reese Witherspoon. I give every earlier actress award a pass, because they make sense, at least, beyond a studio-power and career-nod reason.

Actor? Malek, Oldman, Redmayne, McConaughey, Jeff Bridges, Forest Fucking Talentless Whitaker, Brody, Benigni (Jebus Christ), Dustin "Hambone" Hoffman - TWICE, Pacino for what he won for, and Paul Muni.

Supporting categories don't count because they've always been a mess, but the execrable, hateful and inauthentic Walter Brennan winning three shows that the craft people really should never have gotten the vote.

by Anonymousreply 9May 31, 2020 5:31 PM

Emma Stone's win for playing herself was a joke and total waste.

by Anonymousreply 10May 31, 2020 5:32 PM

I would not include Jeff Bridges, R9. He's a fine actor and always has been. Undeserving on the level of McConaughey? No.

by Anonymousreply 11May 31, 2020 5:34 PM

Helen Hunt

by Anonymousreply 12May 31, 2020 5:35 PM

Natalie Portman

Mary Pickford in Coquette

Loretta Young in The Farmer's Daughter

by Anonymousreply 13May 31, 2020 5:37 PM

Spencer Tracy in Captains Courageous and Richard Dreyfuss in Goodbye Girl.

by Anonymousreply 14May 31, 2020 5:38 PM

What about Goldie Hawn for Cactus Flower? How soon we forget.

by Anonymousreply 15May 31, 2020 5:39 PM

McConaughey and Portman

by Anonymousreply 16May 31, 2020 5:39 PM

Soon? R15, that was 50 years ago!

by Anonymousreply 17May 31, 2020 5:40 PM

Nicolas Cage in "Leaving Las Vegas."

by Anonymousreply 18May 31, 2020 5:42 PM

Helen Lawson in The Boys in the Band

by Anonymousreply 19May 31, 2020 5:45 PM

Zellwegger in Cold Mountain. Goop for Shakespeare in Love.

by Anonymousreply 20May 31, 2020 5:47 PM

Helen Lawson for The Christine Jorgensen Story

by Anonymousreply 21May 31, 2020 5:48 PM

Amazing that Portman was almost a foregone conclusion when Black Swan came out and they claimed she'd done most of her own dancing. Have people's opinions changed since it emerged her stand in did much more on screen than they gave credit for?

by Anonymousreply 22May 31, 2020 5:52 PM

Al Pacino for Scent of a Woman

by Anonymousreply 23May 31, 2020 5:53 PM

Kate Winslet and Reese Witherspoon are far from the worst but they really did not deserve their Oscars for those performances. Nor did Julia or Sandy Bollocks

by Anonymousreply 24May 31, 2020 5:57 PM

"Spencer Tracy in Captains Courageous and Richard Dreyfuss in Goodbye Girl."

Tracy was a great actor but I don't see why he was awarded for Captains Courageous. He was awful in it.

by Anonymousreply 25May 31, 2020 6:12 PM

Sandra Bullock (and I generally like her) got her depiction of the most Latrn of southern Katens. But as one of my students explained to me, “You font understand—she DYED her HAIR!”

by Anonymousreply 26May 31, 2020 6:19 PM

I didn't think there was anything special about Gary Cooper in Sergeant York

I love her in a lot of the film noir movies she did but I don't think Gloria Grahame was very good in The Bad and the Beautiful

by Anonymousreply 27May 31, 2020 6:20 PM

r22 I liked Portman's performance. The Oscar is for acting, not dancing.

My vote goes to Sandra Bullock for The Blind Side. r26 beat me to it — there's nothing difficult about playing a Karen. Perfect example of rewarding the career instead of the performance because that movie SUCKED. She should have won for Gravity a few years later.

by Anonymousreply 28May 31, 2020 6:27 PM

Sandra Bullock winning for a bad accent and wig. People say this was a career win but I don't get it. Up until that point she known mostly for trashy commercial films.

by Anonymousreply 29May 31, 2020 6:30 PM

I disagree- I think Kate Winslet gave a great performance in The Reader.

by Anonymousreply 30May 31, 2020 6:35 PM

There was absolutely no need for Kate to show her saggy titties and hairy clunge in The Reader. That was visual abuse of The Viewer.

by Anonymousreply 31May 31, 2020 6:49 PM

r28, they only gave her the Oscar because they thought she did her own dancing. They like to award performances where they think someone put in a ton of work learning a skill (like dancing) or effort doing something else (like gaining or losing a ton of weight)

by Anonymousreply 32May 31, 2020 6:58 PM

R32 is right. Also see Hilary Swank training like a boxer, Goop as a man and straights playing gay

by Anonymousreply 33May 31, 2020 7:04 PM

I disagree about Spencer Tracy, and I don't get this about Walter Brennan : "execrable, hateful and inauthentic Walter Brennan" ...hateful? We're talking about acting. He was one of the best character actors of all time.

by Anonymousreply 34May 31, 2020 7:12 PM

Sandra Bullock

by Anonymousreply 35May 31, 2020 7:15 PM

R34 He was also a publuc, unapologetic racist who broke into a dance of joy on set when he learned that MLK had been murdered. As for rewarding the performance, look st the other nominees each year. It’s generally acknowledged that he won because extras could still bote (Brennan began as one). It was in part because Brennan won 3 of the first 5 Sup Acting Oscars that the rules around who could vote were changed.

by Anonymousreply 36May 31, 2020 7:18 PM

[quote]My vote goes to Sandra Bullock for The Blind Side. [R26] beat me to it — there's nothing difficult about playing a Karen. Perfect example of rewarding the career instead of the performance because that movie SUCKED. She should have won for Gravity a few years later.

I agree, she should have won for Gravity. The Blind Side reminded me of a Disney Channel tv movie. Afterwards, there were several other theatrical movies that seemed more like made for cable movies. I thought Spotlight was overrated and reminded me of an HBO movie.

by Anonymousreply 37May 31, 2020 7:21 PM

John Wayne...True Grit. Dustin Hoffman and Jon Voight split the vote for Midnight Cowboy. Also, Richard Burton and Peter O'Toole.

by Anonymousreply 38May 31, 2020 7:25 PM

[quote]He was also a publuc, unapologetic racist who broke into a dance of joy on set when he learned that MLK had been murdered.

Oh well that means he was a terrible actor who didn't deserve acting awards in the 1930s then.

by Anonymousreply 39May 31, 2020 7:27 PM

How has no one mentioned Grace Kelly?

by Anonymousreply 40May 31, 2020 7:31 PM

There are too many to mention. HEre's a few:

Gwyneth Paltrow

Halle Berry

Helen Hunt

Roberto Benigni

Kevin Spacey (for American Beauty)

Elizabeth Taylor (for Butterfield 8)

Whoopi Goldberg

Tatum O'Neal

Cher

Cuba Gooding Jr.

Jennifer Hudson

Renee Zellweger (both times)

Angelina Jolie

Kim Basinger

Catherine Zeta-Jones

George Clooney

Anna Paquin

Jennifer Lawrence

Sandra Bullock

Goldie Hawn

Geena Davis

Penelope Cruz

Mercedes Ruehl

Marlee Matlin

Nicole Kidman

Octavia Spencer

Charlize Theron

by Anonymousreply 41May 31, 2020 7:32 PM

R40=Judy

by Anonymousreply 42May 31, 2020 7:33 PM

MOST UNDESERVING ACTOR.

One.

What's worth the lists?

ONE.

by Anonymousreply 43May 31, 2020 7:34 PM

*What's up with the lists?

(Fixed)

And obviously it can be a male or female actor.

One.

by Anonymousreply 44May 31, 2020 7:35 PM

If you look at the Oscar as Consolation Prize, is that more undeserving than just plain old bad? In other words, Bette Davis in Dangerous--undeserving. The most undeserving? Would have to see the list of other nominees.

Or most under deserving because they fucking suck--that to me, is the more interesting question.

My immediate response was Helen Hunt. But Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump really takes it out of her hands.

by Anonymousreply 45May 31, 2020 7:39 PM

R42 Elaborate please

by Anonymousreply 46May 31, 2020 7:39 PM

R46, see R40.

by Anonymousreply 47May 31, 2020 7:41 PM

r41 is just listing every recent winner, when there are tons of undeserving winners in the past.

I take it no one here has seen Coquette

by Anonymousreply 48May 31, 2020 7:42 PM

Is that like pommes Coquette?

by Anonymousreply 49May 31, 2020 7:43 PM

I did, R48.

The question is: which of the two Oscar wins did Helen Hayes least deserve it for, Coquette or Airport?

by Anonymousreply 50May 31, 2020 7:44 PM

Kim Basinger in L.A. Confidential. Not a bad performance, but certainly nothing notable or Oscar worthy.

by Anonymousreply 51May 31, 2020 7:52 PM

Ginger Rogers, Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne, Walter Brennan, Michael Douglas, Cher, Jodie Foster, Judi Dench....

by Anonymousreply 52May 31, 2020 7:52 PM

R50, COQUETTE was Mary Pickford. Hayes won for THE SIN OF MADELON CLAUDET.

by Anonymousreply 53May 31, 2020 7:53 PM

I stand corrected, R53. Of course, that's right.

by Anonymousreply 54May 31, 2020 7:56 PM

Hayes and Pickford were both undeserving

by Anonymousreply 55May 31, 2020 8:03 PM

Stapleton should have been the Airport winner that year, not Helen Hayes. She was unforgettable. Helen’s stowaway character was just sort of kitschy and ridiculous while Stapleton was heartbreaking and real. It’s almost as if they were performances in two separate movies.

by Anonymousreply 56May 31, 2020 10:13 PM

R56 That scene at the end as the passengers from the plane are disembarking and Maureen Stapleton is walking through the crowd sobbing and saying, "I'm sorry" was heartbreaking. Best scene in the whole movie.

by Anonymousreply 57May 31, 2020 10:16 PM

Coquette was awful and Pickford truly awful. I saw Madeline Claudet on TCM a few weeks ago (somehow never had before) and while I agree Hayes is terrible in Airport, I actually found her touching in Madeline and thought there was a character arc. She had stiff competition that year—Marie Dressler in EMMA (she had just won for Min and Bill) and Lynn Fontanne in her only film other than guest cameos, in The Guardsman (with Lunt, also nominated)—a bit arch and stagey, which is understandable. I think Lunt and Fontanne needed the live audience for their magic to work.

by Anonymousreply 58May 31, 2020 10:27 PM

R41 You are wrong about eight of those. I'm too busy trying not to get looted to elaborate so you figure it out yourself.

by Anonymousreply 59May 31, 2020 10:35 PM

Grace Kelly

Judy Holliday

Norma Shearer

by Anonymousreply 60May 31, 2020 10:39 PM

Norma Shearer in The Divorcee was nothing special. I just saw this, I bought a collection of movies from the pre-code era. She's one of my least favorite stars from that era.

Going back to the 30s, I don't think Luise Rainer was particularly good in either of the roles she won for

by Anonymousreply 61May 31, 2020 10:40 PM

Ginger Rogers for Kitty Foyle

by Anonymousreply 62May 31, 2020 10:41 PM

Just to add, Joan Fontaine should have won over Rogers in 1940 for "Rebecca" thus giving Bette Davis the chance to win her much desired third Oscar for 1941's "The Little Foxes".

by Anonymousreply 63May 31, 2020 10:44 PM

That fucking guy in The Artist and Helen Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 64May 31, 2020 10:45 PM

Helen Hunt - I think we have a consensus here based on the number of times she has been mentioned. But, I'll also say - Jack Nicholson didn't deserve his Oscar for that film either.

The film was not that good. But the other actor nods that year were piss poor. The actress nods were really good - Helena Bonham Carter, Julie Christie, Judi Dench, and Kate Winslet.

I guess they didn't want to give it to a Brit that year. But the other 4 actress performances wiped the floor with Helen Hunt's uneven performance.

by Anonymousreply 65May 31, 2020 10:57 PM

Dame Judi was robbed!

by Anonymousreply 66May 31, 2020 11:00 PM

[quote]Sandra Bullock (and I generally like her) got her depiction of the most Latrn of southern Katens. But as one of my students explained to me, “You font understand—she DYED her HAIR!”

What are you trying to say, dear? Or am I missing some sly reference? I font understand either.

by Anonymousreply 67May 31, 2020 11:05 PM

R65 Not only did Helen Hunt not deserve her Oscar for that movie, she gave one of the worst performances of the year. The way she kept slipping in and out of an already terrible New York accent made me cringe.

by Anonymousreply 68May 31, 2020 11:07 PM

Timothy Hutton.

by Anonymousreply 69May 31, 2020 11:12 PM

[QUOTE] The way she kept slipping in and out of an already terrible New York accent made me cringe.

If I recall correctly, Hunt’s (maybe Southern?) accent in Cast Away disappeared during the movie.

by Anonymousreply 70May 31, 2020 11:58 PM

R68: She was basically playing the character she played on Mad About You. Also, her New York accent sucked.

by Anonymousreply 71June 1, 2020 12:04 AM

Bette Davis was a great actress, but the two roles she won for weren't even close to being her best performances

by Anonymousreply 72June 1, 2020 12:17 AM

Is it possible that people in the Academy were familiar with Helen Hunt's Dad - and that helped? Or her presence on TV?

I'm just scratching my head - or do you think the votes were so divided among the other 4 that she eked out a win (like 25% of the votes)?

by Anonymousreply 73June 1, 2020 12:18 AM

Halle Berry

by Anonymousreply 74June 1, 2020 12:19 AM

Ginger Rogers for "Kitty Foyle".

Especially against this competition . . .

Katharine Hepburn

The Philadelphia Story

Martha Scott

Our Town

Bette Davis

The Letter

Joan Fontaine

Rebecca

Ginger Rogers

Kitty Foyle

by Anonymousreply 75June 1, 2020 12:21 AM

Goop

by Anonymousreply 76June 1, 2020 12:24 AM

Helen Cunt

Gwyneth Paltrow

Katherine Hepburn in any of her wins

They all sucked.

by Anonymousreply 77June 1, 2020 12:28 AM

Marisa Tomei is a good actress but no way did she deserve an Oscar for "My Cousin Vinny." Her win was so surprising that an urban legend cropped up about it. Jack Palance presented the award for Best Supporting Actress that year; the urban legend was that he said the wrong name and the award was given to Tomei instead of the real winner. Which is totally ridiculous. If he'd said the wrong name the mistake would have been rectified immediately, like the fiasco where Faye Dunaway said "La La Land" instead of the real winner, "Moonlight." At any rate, people were amazed she won. Why DID she win? Because she was the only American nominated; I think that's way.

by Anonymousreply 78June 1, 2020 2:25 AM

R78 totally disagree. Tomei deserved her win in a hilarious performance that still holds up almost 30 years later. Pure comedy performances hardly ever win, so I was shocked but delighted she pulled it off. I think in Hunts case, voters just got lazy and voted for both her and Jack. It’s still quite baffling that Dench didn’t pull it off, but it may be a case of not enough voters seeing Mrs. Brown.

by Anonymousreply 79June 1, 2020 2:53 AM

Tomei's performance was fluff. Amusing, but not Oscar worthy at all. I thought Miranda Richardson should have won.

by Anonymousreply 80June 1, 2020 2:59 AM

Helen Lawson in The Exorcist

by Anonymousreply 81June 1, 2020 3:14 AM

Lassie

by Anonymousreply 82June 1, 2020 3:32 AM

Frances McDormand's second oscar win. She's played that role a million times before and her performance was disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 83June 1, 2020 5:06 AM

[quote] Sandra Bullock (and I generally like her) got her depiction of the most Latrn of southern Katens. But as one of my students explained to me, “You font understand—she DYED her HAIR!”

I hope you don't teach those students either English or typing!

by Anonymousreply 84June 1, 2020 5:22 AM

Elizabeth Taylor for her hammy performance in "BUtterfield 8." She got it purely for sympathy because of her life-threatening tracheotomy. She actually DID deserve (quite richly) her Oscar for "Virginia Woolf," though.

by Anonymousreply 85June 1, 2020 5:24 AM

Halle Barry. That was the start of the academy awarding for social justice reasons. sissy spacek deserved that award 100%. In the bedroom was an incredible film and her performance was sensational

by Anonymousreply 86June 1, 2020 5:25 AM

Jennifer Lawrence

by Anonymousreply 87June 1, 2020 5:30 AM

R86: Of the nominees, Spacek deserved it. In the Bedroom is so underrated. Naomi Watts was the true winner and she wasn’t even nominated. Halle won because she showed her tits in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 88June 1, 2020 5:33 AM

R87 she deserved it. It was a great performance and she had no competition. The person who shouldn’t have won that year was Daniel day Lewis. Bradley Cooper deserved the award. DDL have a predictable and boring performance. Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 89June 1, 2020 5:34 AM

Frances McDormand didn't deserve to win an Oscar either time. Her performance in 'Fargo" was cartoonish and her performance in that "Billboard" movie was nothing but overkill.

by Anonymousreply 90June 1, 2020 6:14 PM

"She deserved it. It was a great performance and she had no competition. "

No, Jennifer Lawrence DIDN'T deserve it. Emmanuelle Riva should have won that year.

by Anonymousreply 91June 1, 2020 6:18 PM

Cooper doesn't belong in the same room with an acting award of any kind.

by Anonymousreply 92June 1, 2020 6:19 PM

I would have even gone for little Quvenzhané Wallis that year over JLaw. JLaw was miscast and too young for the part.

by Anonymousreply 93June 1, 2020 6:21 PM

Brad Pitt. All he did was play himself and drive around LA.

by Anonymousreply 94June 1, 2020 6:26 PM

John Wayne in the original True Grit

He beat Richard Burton, Peter O'Toole, Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman.

by Anonymousreply 95June 1, 2020 6:34 PM

Joe Pesci should have beaten Brad Pitt this year. I thought he was incredible in The Irishman, playing a character far out of his usual range.

by Anonymousreply 96June 1, 2020 6:35 PM

John Wayne’s Oscar was a joke. So were Walter Brennan’s three Oscars, for basically playing the same role in every fucking movie.

by Anonymousreply 97June 1, 2020 8:06 PM

Agree about Brennan and Wayne

by Anonymousreply 98June 1, 2020 8:19 PM

After Brennan won his third Oscar, they stopped letting the Extras vote. The little people loved him.

He was a good character actor but with little range and undeserving of three Oscars. He could surprise on occasion, such as in the Bob Hope movie The Princess and the Pirate, in which he is almost unrecognizable and goes over the top.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99June 1, 2020 10:06 PM

Bob is surprisingly cute in that photo.

by Anonymousreply 100June 1, 2020 10:22 PM

^^ It's one of Hope's best movies, before he turned into a complete asshole on screen.

by Anonymousreply 101June 1, 2020 10:35 PM

R89. Excuses-moi?

by Anonymousreply 102June 1, 2020 10:48 PM

I meant “excusez,” but since I think of you as an inferior, “excuses” is not inappropriate,

by Anonymousreply 103June 1, 2020 10:49 PM

Rami Malek. I actually think Sandra Bullock in The Blind Side was better than him.

by Anonymousreply 104June 1, 2020 11:53 PM

"After Brennan won his third Oscar, they stopped letting the Extras vote. The little people loved him."

Bette Davis griped about extras voting. She said 'you'd buy them ice cream for a week" and they'd vote for you.

by Anonymousreply 105June 1, 2020 11:59 PM

R105 She must not have bought them enough ice cream on "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane."

by Anonymousreply 106June 2, 2020 12:00 AM

DiCaprio. He shouldn't have even been nominated. All he did was roll around in the snow and mud.

by Anonymousreply 107June 2, 2020 12:09 AM

Most have been named. The ones that stand out for me are

Reneé (Cold Mountain)

Helen Hunt

Sandra Bullock

Emma Stone

Jennifer Lawrence

Rami Malek

Halle Berry

Matthew McConaughey

Cuba Gooding Jr

Whoopi Goldberg

Brad Pitt

Gwyneth Paltrow

by Anonymousreply 108June 2, 2020 12:15 AM

R1, Your tasteless. Be gone

by Anonymousreply 109June 2, 2020 12:22 AM

R109 "You're."

by Anonymousreply 110June 2, 2020 12:28 AM

Alan Arkin. I think he won because his character dies in Little Miss Sunshine.

by Anonymousreply 111June 2, 2020 1:26 AM

Julia Roberts. I remember her horrible acceptance speech. She wouldn't shut up. I wanted to throw a brick at her head.

by Anonymousreply 112June 2, 2020 1:33 AM

Alan Arkin got the "I deserve it 'cause I'm old" award.

by Anonymousreply 113June 2, 2020 1:41 AM

"She must not have bought them enough ice cream on "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane."

Bette Davis was not the type to buy ice cream for extras. I think she would have found cozying up to extras distasteful.

by Anonymousreply 114June 2, 2020 1:46 AM

R112: While it’s probably her best performance ever, she didn’t deserve it all. She won because she was an overrated bitch and the biggest movie star at the time.

by Anonymousreply 115June 2, 2020 1:59 AM

Art Carney. Pacino should have won for Godfather II.

by Anonymousreply 116June 2, 2020 2:06 AM

"Alan Arkin got the "I deserve it 'cause I'm old" award."

No, he won it because he gave a great performance, which he always did. Eddie Murphy thought he was a shoo-in to get it, and when Arkin won he left in a huff. Tough titty, Eddie.

by Anonymousreply 117June 2, 2020 2:38 AM

Anne Hathaway. She sang a couple of songs and died. So what? And her career has really stalled.

by Anonymousreply 118June 2, 2020 2:57 AM

I noticed a lot of actresses once they get an Oscar. They have a hard time getting good roles after. They think they're going to get offered a lot of parts and it just doesn't happen. Not sure why.

by Anonymousreply 119June 2, 2020 3:52 AM

Well, I certainly never had that problem.

by Anonymousreply 120June 2, 2020 3:59 AM

Philip Seymour Hoffman should not have won for that IMPERSONATION of Truman Capote over Heath Ledger’s magnificent performance in Brokeback Mountain.

If Manchester by the Sea had came out a year later, that pervert Casey Affleck would not have even been nominated, much less won. #MeToo That Oscar should’ve gone for the far more deserving Denzel Washington for Fences.

Another Denzel snub. Al Pacino knows damn well he should return that Oscar he stole from Mr. Washington. Washington’s performance in Malcolm X was one of the best performances of all time. Pacino’s Scent of a Woman was trash.

by Anonymousreply 121June 2, 2020 4:22 AM

Philip Seymour Hoffman should not have won for that IMPERSONATION of Truman Capote over Heath Ledger’s magnificent performance in Brokeback Mountain.

If Manchester by the Sea had came out a year later, that pervert Casey Affleck would not have even been nominated, much less won. #MeToo That Oscar should’ve gone for the far more deserving Denzel Washington for Fences.

Another Denzel snub. Al Pacino knows damn well he should return that Oscar he stole from Mr. Washington. Washington’s performance in Malcolm X was one of the best performances of all time. Pacino’s Scent of a Woman was trash.

by Anonymousreply 122June 2, 2020 4:22 AM

by Anonymousreply 123June 2, 2020 4:23 AM

Cher. Mother-fucking Cher.

by Anonymousreply 124June 2, 2020 4:30 AM

Brie Larson. That was a TV movie of the week and she is not that good. Lesbian

by Anonymousreply 125June 2, 2020 4:43 AM

Brad Pitt. HE CAN’T ACT.

by Anonymousreply 126June 2, 2020 5:58 AM

Philip Seymour Hoffman in Capote was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 127June 2, 2020 5:59 AM

[quote]Brad Pitt. HE CAN’T ACT.

Why do you think all those people have been buying all those tickets for all these years? To look at his blue eyes? Apparently they enjoy his acting. And whenever someone says an actor is "just playing himself" I know that person doesn't know shit about acting.

by Anonymousreply 128June 2, 2020 6:04 AM

Well, I think pretty much every Oscar winner has now been named as undeserving.

by Anonymousreply 129June 2, 2020 6:33 AM

[quote]Tomei deserved her win in a hilarious performance that still holds up almost 30 years later. Pure comedy performances hardly ever win, so I was shocked but delighted she pulled it off.

R78 I agree. I saw the movie for the first time a few months ago and laughed out loud at the great ensemble cast. It was about time comedic talent was acknowledged as art...

by Anonymousreply 130June 2, 2020 7:01 AM

r78 r130 But Fran Drescher could've done the role so much better.

by Anonymousreply 131June 2, 2020 10:56 AM

R125: The little boy outacted and had more screen time than her.

by Anonymousreply 132June 2, 2020 11:48 AM

R11, Jeff Bridges was terrible in the role he won for. I like him a lot, but not in that.

by Anonymousreply 133June 2, 2020 12:36 PM

Anyone who lists Paul Muni but not Emil Jannings or Bing Crosby is a cop.

Benigni won because he was an indie favorite and well liked, plus the late 1990s were incredibly shallow, cinematically speaking. Spacey won for the egregious American Beauty the next year, for god's sake. I'm not saying it's right, but at least you know why it happened.

There is no way Russell Crowe should have won in a year that included Hanks, Harris, Rush and Bardem.

More recently, Eddie Redmayne and Rami Malek have been thoroughly embarrassing winners, both giving clumsy impressions instead of acting.

by Anonymousreply 134June 2, 2020 12:54 PM

[quote]Philip Seymour Hoffman in Capote was brilliant.

He was good and PSH is one of my favorite actors of all time, but I still think Toby Jones was a better Capote than Hoffman.

by Anonymousreply 135June 2, 2020 12:55 PM

In 2006, if Alan Arkin hadn't won, it would have been Jackie Earle Haley, both actors the Academy felt had done their time and deserved a win.

Eddie Murphy was fantastic in Dreamgirls, but the Academy doesn't take him seriously. He should have been nominated for Dolemite is My Name and Bowfinger, too.

by Anonymousreply 136June 2, 2020 1:01 PM

R121: Phoenix and Ledger were much more deserving than Hoffman.

by Anonymousreply 137June 2, 2020 1:19 PM

Back when Hollywood was pushing Jodie as the next big thing they gave her an Oscar for The Accused. Then they gave it to her Silence of the Lambs. Both were bland performances.

by Anonymousreply 138June 2, 2020 2:22 PM

Judi Dench was barely IN that movie....ridiculous.

Luise Rainer won an Oscar for talking on the phone in one scene.

by Anonymousreply 139June 2, 2020 2:47 PM

IIRC, Judi seemed almost embarrassed to be winning the Oscar that year.

by Anonymousreply 140June 2, 2020 3:05 PM

Jessica Lange winning for "Tootsie" was a joke.

Even she's said she won it as a consolation prize for not winning for "Frances."

by Anonymousreply 141June 2, 2020 3:21 PM

Re: Tootsie, Teri Garr was more deserving of that Supporting Actress award than Jessica Lange.

by Anonymousreply 142June 2, 2020 3:27 PM

R141, Lange was terrific in Tootsie, one of the greatest comedy films ever made. I’ll never understand why so many people are so dismissive of comedies or acting in comedy films.

by Anonymousreply 143June 2, 2020 3:27 PM

Teri Garr was better in Tootsie than Jessica Lange was. I think this was the one that Glenn might have been closest to winning. Ironic as it was her first nomination.

by Anonymousreply 144June 2, 2020 3:29 PM

R143 She wasn't bad in Tootsie at all, but her performance certainly wasn't memorable, and certainly not Oscar-worthy.

Teri Garr was definitely better in the movie and had a much more fun character to play.

by Anonymousreply 145June 2, 2020 3:32 PM

R144 are you crazy?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146June 2, 2020 3:34 PM

R146, some of us never thought Glenn would win for The Wife. First problem there was that no one liked the film.

by Anonymousreply 147June 2, 2020 3:37 PM

Yes but Glenn was without question a close second. I'd love to know, at the very least, the runners up for each award. They used to announce them when the awards first began

by Anonymousreply 148June 2, 2020 3:45 PM

I will never get over what's-his-English-name stealing the Oscar from Michael Keaton. Disgraceful.

by Anonymousreply 149June 2, 2020 4:28 PM

I agree, R149. I actually thought Redmaybe was actively awful in that movie. Keaton was perfection in Birdman and absolutely should have won that year. I think there was a video of him at the time sadly going forward his speech in his pocket and then tucking it back in when he realized he had lost.

by Anonymousreply 150June 2, 2020 4:38 PM

"Why do you think all those people have been buying all those tickets for all these years? To look at his blue eyes?"

A lot of his movies have bombed. Look at Ad Astra

by Anonymousreply 151June 2, 2020 5:38 PM

William hurt won in 86. Any of the fine performances in Pizza Boy...He Delivers should have prevailed!

by Anonymousreply 152June 2, 2020 5:44 PM

Who in their right mind would put Philip Seymour Hoffman on this list?

He was one of the most consummate actors our our time.

by Anonymousreply 153June 2, 2020 5:51 PM

One acting Oscar win that upsets me whenever I think about it is the one Allison Janey for I, Tonya. Allison is talented. I'll give her that but that bitch went around town and kissed a lot of ass to get the award that should've gone to the faaar more deserving Laurie Metcalf for her MAGNIFICENT performance in Lady Bird. Gold Derby.com (headed by that racially insensitive fuck Tom O'Neal) has on numerous occasions confirmed that Allison "played the promotional circuit". I mean the woman actually baked cookies for one function. I wish the Oscar voters wasn't so susceptible to that. Give it to the nominee who gave the better performance period.

Eddie Redmayne was known to have done the same thing as Allison for his Oscar as well.

by Anonymousreply 154June 2, 2020 6:05 PM

[quote]I wish the Oscar voters wasn't so susceptible to that.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 155June 2, 2020 6:22 PM

R149: Redmayne's win was a lazy, pure Oscar bait choice. He practically sat in a chair while the computer spoke for most of the movie. It was also a bit of a waste because he hasn't exactly been in demand since he won.

by Anonymousreply 156June 2, 2020 6:26 PM

R156 Redmayne copied and pasted Daniel Day Lewis's My Left Foot performance then edited it to produce a lazy, muggier and vastly generic version of it to avoid plagerism.

by Anonymousreply 157June 2, 2020 6:33 PM

I thought Redmayne was superior in The Danish Girl but that Alicia girl (who has since vanished) soaked up all the buzz from that movie.

She should have been nominated for Ex-Machina.

by Anonymousreply 158June 2, 2020 6:37 PM

At least Alicia gets to enjoy Michael Fassbender's big pendulous willy!

Eddie is okay but really not Oscar calibre, he must have had a great deal of studio heft behind him.

R154 I agree, it's so embarrassing to be so desperate for the Oscar you stoop so low.

Kate Winslet disgraced herself by being so desperate to win, she's actually a brilliant actress but really showed her desperation that Oscar season. Should have been Meryl, playing the poisonous nun.

by Anonymousreply 159June 2, 2020 6:47 PM

r159, I'm telling you. It wasn't so much "studio heft" as it was what was stated in r154.

by Anonymousreply 160June 2, 2020 7:07 PM

I thought Olivia Coleman, whom I generally love, was horrific in The Favourite: Just a caterwauling nightmare -- I found it virtually unwatchable. But I loved every minute of Glenn Close in The Wife. I will never understand why anyone voted for Coleman.

by Anonymousreply 161June 2, 2020 7:18 PM

R95...see R38.

by Anonymousreply 162June 2, 2020 7:26 PM

R161: I don’t understand why Colman got so much acclaim. The role was not challenging for her at all. On the other hand, Glenn Close was boring in The Wife and I don’t think she deserved to win either.

by Anonymousreply 163June 2, 2020 7:28 PM

Helen Lawson for Flora the Red Menace

by Anonymousreply 164June 2, 2020 7:31 PM

I think Melissa McCarthy gave the best performance out of those nominated that year and should have won easily.

Colman have a SUPPORTING performance anyway.

by Anonymousreply 165June 2, 2020 7:38 PM

According to the DL, every performance sucks and is overrated! You act like these wins happened in a bubble or that they were just chosen because of Oscar campaigns, but most of these performances were widely acclaimed by critics

by Anonymousreply 166June 2, 2020 7:55 PM

Is that you, La Winslet, at R166?

by Anonymousreply 167June 2, 2020 8:09 PM

Not Winslet, I just think it's funny how someone like Colman, Redmayne, or whoever can give a performance that's acclaimed by all the critics, then people here pretend that no one liked those performances but the Oscar voters.

The same people will claim Jennifer Lawrence only won an Oscar because of Harvey, even though all the critics love her. I guess she not only blew Harvey, she also blew every major critic in America (including the female ones)

by Anonymousreply 168June 2, 2020 10:37 PM

R166: The reality is most actors working in Hollywood today are overrated and actors win oscars for the wrong reasons all the time.

by Anonymousreply 169June 2, 2020 11:08 PM

Just because you don't personally like certain actors doesn't make them "overrated"

by Anonymousreply 170June 2, 2020 11:40 PM

R166, "acclaimed by critics" is not the criteria for approval among free-thinking, knowledgable DLers. What are you? A cow swinging its tail in unison with her elders?

Most awards ARE chosen in a bubble - the bubble of the moment when the nominations and votes go out and in. Quality, competition, popularity in the business, grudges, backstories, a sense of things being owed, lack of popularity or the existence of controversies - all these things and more go into it.

So?

The thread is about "undeserving" winners. That's a judgment call. And the fact that some judgments here are off is nothing new. Look at R166, after all.

by Anonymousreply 171June 2, 2020 11:42 PM

Emil Jannings was brilliant in "The Last Command." As he was in other films.

That he also was a belligerent, spiteful, weird, bullying Nazi is beside the point.

I expect people here to say actors are undeserving because they don't like them.

It's people who say actors are undeserving because the've never heard of the actors who are in that special category of "waste of breath."

Please.

by Anonymousreply 172June 3, 2020 12:03 AM

R171, I'd trust the word of the critics over many of the people here. According to this thread, every single actor who ever won an Academy Award sucks

by Anonymousreply 173June 3, 2020 12:09 AM

^^^Chronic over-stater

by Anonymousreply 174June 3, 2020 12:16 AM

[quote]Her performance in 'Fargo" was cartoonish and her performance in that "Billboard" movie was nothing but overkill.

I only saw Fargo a couple of times in the 90s. Last year, I watched it on TV, I think it was IFC and I also thought her performance was cartoonish.

by Anonymousreply 175June 3, 2020 1:46 AM

Renee Zellwegger for Cold Mountain

by Anonymousreply 176June 3, 2020 1:54 AM

Robert Donat, for "Goodbye, Mr. Chips." His performance was nice but forgettable. Clark Gable should have won for "Gone With The Wind", but the Academy rallied to give it to Donat in order to make "Goodbye, Mr. Chips" bigger box office. Gable was perfect as Rhett Butler. He was really robbed.

by Anonymousreply 177June 3, 2020 2:25 AM

Gable was just playing Clark Gable. He didn't even bother with a Southern accent. He had a ton of charisma, but come on.

by Anonymousreply 178June 3, 2020 3:47 AM

Julia Fucking Roberts own this thread. I don't care if that was the performance of her life, she is not comparable with Ellen Burstyn in "Requiem for a dream" what a fucking joke.

by Anonymousreply 179June 3, 2020 3:50 AM

"Gable was just playing Clark Gable. "

He WAS Rhett Butler. And the delivery of his final line in the film ("Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn") was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 180June 3, 2020 4:06 AM

I keep forgetting if Don Ameche actually won for Cocoon or if he was just nominated. He didn’t deserve either for that forgettable performance.

by Anonymousreply 181June 3, 2020 4:34 AM

Yes, Don Ameche won an Academy Award for "Cocoon." I guess it was one of those "sentimental" wins, like those of John Wayne and Art Carney.

by Anonymousreply 182June 3, 2020 4:38 AM

R171 make love to me

by Anonymousreply 183June 3, 2020 9:53 AM

[quote]Emil Jannings was brilliant in "The Last Command." As he was in other films. That he also was a belligerent, spiteful, weird, bullying Nazi is beside the point. I expect people here to say actors are undeserving because they don't like them.

Bitch, are you saying I said Jannings was terrible just because I don't like Nazis? I said nothing about his personality or politics. He was terrible in The Last Command, hammy and schmaltzy without depth, and embarrassing in Der Blau Angel. There was nothing about his method that was unique in any way; he was Rudolf Klein-Rogge with less makeup.

He also won for The Way of All Flesh that year which is now lost, so it's possible he gave a good performance there. We'll probably never know.

by Anonymousreply 184June 3, 2020 2:55 PM

Anna Magnani won an Oscar because she was ugly. Should have been Katharine Hepburn for her amazing spinster in SUMMERTIME.

by Anonymousreply 185June 3, 2020 10:23 PM

r185, Bitch, please! That was a stupid statement. Anna Magnani was one of the greatest actresses that ever lived. Her performance in The Rose Tattoo was magnificent. Kate got 4 Oscars. Gurl, bye!

by Anonymousreply 186June 3, 2020 10:38 PM

Marisa Tomei.

by Anonymousreply 187June 3, 2020 10:46 PM

Bye r186 you’re ugly too.

by Anonymousreply 188June 3, 2020 11:46 PM

A lot of his movies have bombed. Look at Ad Astra

I don't know what flopped Brad has been working steadily for some reason...Seven Years in Tibet, Interview With The Vampire, Legends Of The Fall, Fight Club, Oceans Eleven, Troy, Inglourious Basterds, Moneyball. etc.

by Anonymousreply 189June 4, 2020 6:13 AM

I've been impressed with Brad Pitt's career overall. He's worked with some heavyweights - Robert Redford, Morgan Freeman, Anthony Hopkins (multiple times)... I think he was good in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, but didn't think it was Oscar-worthy.

Personally I think Leonardo should have won, though it was a tough category with very strong lead performances. Joaquin's win was deserving for sure.

There are so many undeserving wins to choose from... Jennifer Hudson in Dreamgirls, Allison Janney in I, Tonya, Sandra Bullock, Hillary Swank (both times), Gwyneth Paltrow, Roberto Benigni, Jean Dujardin...

by Anonymousreply 190June 4, 2020 1:55 PM

Jennifer Hudson in Dreamgirls. Do I need to say more?

by Anonymousreply 191June 4, 2020 2:05 PM

Jennifer was competent, but no more. Joke of jokes was Matthew Knowles complaining about racism keeping Beonstage from getting nominated. Um, yeah, no.

by Anonymousreply 192June 4, 2020 2:17 PM

R192 I remember Beyonce throwing subtle shade at Jennifer in an interview after Jennifer got her "Dreamgirls" nomination:

"I wish I could've played Effy, but I wasn't right for the role."

Read as: "I'm not a big fat pig."

by Anonymousreply 193June 4, 2020 2:31 PM

Beyoncé is a horrible actress. She made Whitney Houston in THE BODYGUARD look like Cicely Tyson in SOUNDER.

by Anonymousreply 194June 4, 2020 2:39 PM

R194 When she tried to play Etta James in "Cadillac Records?" Oh, boy, that was a shit show.

by Anonymousreply 195June 4, 2020 2:44 PM

I know it was only a supporting role, but can someone tell me what was so great about Martin Balsam in A THOUSAND CLOWNS?

by Anonymousreply 196June 4, 2020 2:54 PM

R194, Miss James deserved better.

by Anonymousreply 197June 4, 2020 3:50 PM

R195, Miss James deserved better.

by Anonymousreply 198June 4, 2020 3:51 PM

[QUOTE] Jennifer Hudson in Dreamgirls

Really? Who do you think should have won among those nominees? Rinko Kikichi? That lineup was pretty weak, to be honest.

Which makes it even more aggravating that they didn’t nominate Catherine O’Hara (For Your Consideration) or Phyllis Somerville (Little Children).

by Anonymousreply 199June 4, 2020 6:27 PM

[QUOTE] I know it was only a supporting role, but can someone tell me what was so great about Martin Balsam in A THOUSAND CLOWNS?

I liked him in Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams.

by Anonymousreply 200June 4, 2020 6:30 PM

[quote]I know it was only a supporting role, but can someone tell m what was so great about Martin Balsam in A THOUSAND CLOWNS?

I forget but didn't he play the long-suffering brother of this eccentric guy (Jason Robards)? Or something? I think he was the character the audience identified with, and also - wasn't it a breakout role? Like, before that he did boring roles like Arbogast in Psycho and the police guy in Cape Fear? Oscars are of the moment. Like there's already been a comment about Judy Holliday. Frankly I think she was as deserving, she was as good as Davis or Swanson, it just was comedy, and some people don't think comedy is acting,. (Or you don't deserve Oscars in musicals if the main thing you did well was sing - J. Hudson). But she was a new face and brilliant. Audrey Hepburn was a new face. People claim Red Buttons was undeserving. Or Miyoshi Umeki (both in Sayonara). Because they're not "great" actors who acted up a storm. But -of the moment - the WWII-Korea generation identified with their stroryline and it was very moving.

by Anonymousreply 201June 4, 2020 7:15 PM

Brad Pitt. For the life of me I don't understand what they saw in that role.

by Anonymousreply 202June 5, 2020 4:40 PM

Allison Janney. Laurie Metcalf was right there.

by Anonymousreply 203June 6, 2020 4:03 AM

Arbogast in Psycho isn't boring!

Balsam was a well-known and well-loved character actor with a slew of fine performances under his belt, and One Thousand Clowns was one of those movies enjoyed by the Academy set, so they thought it would be a perfect time to give Balsam his due. I love Balsam in it, his one speech is tremendous, but I honestly think Barry Gordon was even better in a supporting role. He was such a fantastic child actor and was never even nominated for anything, a real shame.

by Anonymousreply 204June 6, 2020 12:59 PM

If Frances had come out in 1981 Jessica Lange would have won for her best ever performance. Or better yet, come out in 1983 and beat Shirley Maclaine!

Her wins for Tootsie and Blue Sky aren't bad, they are very good. The just aren't remarkable.

by Anonymousreply 205June 6, 2020 2:02 PM

Balsam said backstage when he won in 1966 that he thought he won because he didn’t get nominated for Breakfast At Tiffanys. I’m sure that played into it. He was a well known respected character actor at the time. He was better in BAT than ATC. I probably would’ve voted for Tom Courtenay for Dr. Zhivago, but I don’t begrudge Balsam his win either.

by Anonymousreply 206June 6, 2020 7:43 PM

I've struggled with many of these nominations, for various (pointless) reasons. I'm a huge fan of Barbara Hershey, so it's impossible for me to ignore her. Natalie spent much of her childhood in my town, but to be honest, that never made her a 'home-town girl'. I'm a huge ballet fan, and had to fight to get my brother to watch the movie with me. The truth is, the movie made me cry, and that's an automatic thumbs up from me, even when I'm sneering (slightly at the movie itself). I'm a not-so-proud pushover. I' glad I didn't miss it.

by Anonymousreply 207June 6, 2020 10:14 PM

Omg these silent movie queens are killing me. Surely they caught Cocquette during its initial run at the Nickelodeon.

by Anonymousreply 208June 6, 2020 10:22 PM

[quote}Arbogast in Psycho isn't boring!

Well it wasn't Oscar-worthy either, I guess that's what I meant. Barry Gordon was great.

by Anonymousreply 209June 7, 2020 2:40 AM

[quote]Omg these silent movie queens are killing me. Surely they caught Cocquette during its initial run at the Nickelodeon.

As opposed to you who probably watches Nickelodeon.

by Anonymousreply 210June 7, 2020 2:41 AM

Kate Nelligan should've won the supporting Oscar in 1991 for Frankie and Johnny. And she wasn't even nominated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211June 7, 2020 3:10 PM

ALL of them! Everyone! EVERYTHING is TAINTED, it's ALL TAINTED!!!

by Anonymousreply 212June 7, 2020 3:28 PM

Well, I was watching Shampoo recently, a movie I went to see (got in somehow) when I was about 12 or 13 and loved. And I didn't think it aged well. But I wondered why Lee Grant got the Oscar for that. Wouldn't say she was the most undeserving of all time but it seemed like a kind of simple role without a 'big scene' or anything. Did it have to do with her comeback and being previously blacklisted, at all?

by Anonymousreply 213June 7, 2020 4:38 PM

R213 I saw "Shampoo" on TCM last year and didn't like it at all. Overly long, meandering, no sympathetic characters.

Lee Grant was fine in it, but yes, it wasn't an Oscar-worthy performance. It may well have been a consolation prize for her body of work and her previous blacklisting.

by Anonymousreply 214June 7, 2020 4:46 PM

I’d have given Lee Grant the Oscar for her role in VOYAGE OF THE DAMNED. She was brilliant as the Jewish refugee whose family falls apart while awaiting entrance to Cuba. A heartbreaking story and performance.

by Anonymousreply 215June 7, 2020 4:48 PM

r213, Lee Grant gave a far better performance in Shampoo Director Hal Ashby’s first film The Landlord. I love this film and she was an absolute scene stealer.

by Anonymousreply 216June 7, 2020 6:09 PM

R216 I always try to watch that film but Beau Bridges (I think?) is not my favorite. Anyhow I thought she was great in In The Heat Of The Night. I think she last-minute replaced another actress, or something. Way earlier, in Detective Story, she was fun but really overdid it a bit.

by Anonymousreply 217June 7, 2020 6:14 PM

[quote] I saw "Shampoo" on TCM last year and didn't like it at all. Overly long, meandering, no sympathetic characters.

Lee Grant was fine in it, but yes, it wasn't an Oscar-worthy performance. It may well have been a consolation prize for her body of work and her previous blacklisting.

When I mentioned I saw Shampoo in a theater - it was a big place in the suburbs and it was packed, we had to sit in the front row. The audience really loved it. Big laughs, even. I loved it. Saw it again like you on TCM and it was just nothing. Meandering - exactly - I don't get it. Except it was new and different, then. And the stars and supporting actors were all very popular then.

by Anonymousreply 218June 7, 2020 6:20 PM

R211, Nelligan actually was nominated that year though...for The Prince of Tides.

by Anonymousreply 219June 7, 2020 6:31 PM

The Oscars are not necessarily given for "acting" but also to make up for previous omissions, for star turns and memorable characters. Examples:

Zellwegger did nothing extraordinary in Mountain but she was overlooked for Chicago so the Academy gave her a consolation prize and all went home happy.

Roberts may not have deserved one for Brocovich but hers was a star turn of the first caliber (I'm not a fan, incidentally) and she made many people a lot of money, so there.

Marisa Tomei may not be a better actress than the four other English actresses nominated that year but who remembers their characters? Marisa's was unforgettable.

And then of course there was fucking Harvey. That could always get you an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 220June 7, 2020 6:37 PM

R220: The scars are not about talent at all. People win oscars for wrong reasons all the time. There are a variety of factors such as campaigning, overdue narrative, personal narrative, the academy wanting to be politically correct, the academy wanting to give a particular film something, and yes in even some cases buying an oscar during the Weinstein era.

by Anonymousreply 221June 7, 2020 8:00 PM

R220: Edits: The Oscars are not about talent at all and yes even in some cases buying an oscar during the Weinstein era.

by Anonymousreply 222June 7, 2020 8:01 PM

Laura Dern. I get mad everytime I think about that terrible win.

by Anonymousreply 223June 9, 2020 4:26 AM

Lee Grant has said that of all her nominated performances she thinks she won for the worst of them.

by Anonymousreply 224June 9, 2020 6:04 AM

r154 What did Tom O'Neil of Gold Derby do that was racially insensitive? Is he known to be a fuck as you say? I've heard people say they had bad experiences dealing with him.

by Anonymousreply 225June 9, 2020 6:10 AM

Helen Lawson in "I Never Promised You a Shaved Snatch"

by Anonymousreply 226June 9, 2020 1:50 PM

Laura Dern did nothing special whatsoever to win that award. I'd be embarrassed if I had a catalogue of great performances and won for one that required little effort other than wearing killer heels and being spunky.

by Anonymousreply 227June 9, 2020 4:02 PM

Glenn Close in The Wife......oh wait. Never mind.

by Anonymousreply 228June 9, 2020 7:56 PM

Adrien Brody. Total jackass. Was one of the first people to defend Woody Allen. Is now dating Harvey Weinstein's ex.

by Anonymousreply 229June 10, 2020 6:33 AM

Adrien Brody's performance in "The Pianist" was exceptional.

I don't give a fuck who he's dating lately and I defend Woody Allen myself.

by Anonymousreply 230June 10, 2020 7:15 AM

Liz Taylor for "Butterfield 8"

Shirley MacLaine lost to a tracheotomy.

by Anonymousreply 231June 10, 2020 7:22 AM

Least deserving... oy.

Helen Hunt

Hilary Swank - both times

AnnE Hathaway

Julia Roberts

Begnini

McBongo

Nic fucking Cage

by Anonymousreply 232June 10, 2020 7:24 AM

(R230) Excuse me, Alec Baldwin. And by the way, I love Match Game.

by Anonymousreply 233June 10, 2020 11:54 AM

[QUOTE] Adrien Brody's performance in "The Pianist" was exceptional.

I just watched The Pianist again recently and, my god, it really is an exceptional performance. One of the most deserved Oscars of the ‘00s (and that was a relatively strong lineup with Brody up against four former winners).

R229 is a woke wannabe vulgarian and an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 234June 10, 2020 2:36 PM

Eddie Redminge

by Anonymousreply 235June 10, 2020 5:47 PM

Cuba Gooding Jr

by Anonymousreply 236June 10, 2020 10:32 PM

Pia Zadora!

by Anonymousreply 237June 11, 2020 12:17 AM

R237 But her acceptance speeches for her several wins were great.

by Anonymousreply 238June 11, 2020 8:18 PM

George Clooney. All he did was gain weight and grow a beard. I don't have a clue why people fawn over this arrogant prick.

by Anonymousreply 239June 12, 2020 8:13 PM

Kim Basinger.

Stand there and look beautiful.

Check!

by Anonymousreply 240June 12, 2020 8:17 PM

Streep winning a third for the horrible The Iron Lady

by Anonymousreply 241June 12, 2020 10:11 PM

R239. Thank you I've been saying this for years. I don't know what he did that was all that special in Syriana. And the gratuitous weight gain I always thought was just his attempt at an Oscar. It's not the character he portrayed was know enough that an extra 20 pounds was gonna make any difference to anyone.

by Anonymousreply 242June 13, 2020 5:17 PM

Helen Hayes in Airport. You can also include her in the overall worst performance in film history thread.

by Anonymousreply 243June 13, 2020 5:27 PM

Why do people say Helen Hayes was bad in Airport? Didn't she play the character correctly? What other way should she or anyone else have played that character?

by Anonymousreply 244June 14, 2020 12:23 AM

...Seemed like a good performance to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245June 14, 2020 12:28 AM

I love Helen Hayes in Airport. (Maureen Stapleton too.)

by Anonymousreply 246June 14, 2020 3:43 AM

Maureen Stapleton, yes, real and honest and great. Helen Hayes, ridiculous, hammy and awful.

by Anonymousreply 247June 14, 2020 2:45 PM

Was Maureen any good in Reds, for which she won an Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 248June 14, 2020 3:12 PM

Maureen was great in Reds. As was Nicholson, who I think gives one of his best performances.

The problem with As Good as it gets is that the initial exchange between Nicholson and Hunt is so mean spirited that it kind of wrecks the rest of the movie. Plus it's a very depressing movie. It was promoted as some quirky love story at the time, but it's really a slog to get through . Hunt's distant, cold as ice performance doesn't help matters and makes the movie even more bleaker than it should have been. Holly Hunter was the initial choice for the role, and that made sense. It needed someone a little more light hearted and quirky. But it's not as good as Terms of Endearment or Broadcast News.

by Anonymousreply 249June 14, 2020 3:38 PM

"Was Maureen any good in Reds, for which she won an Oscar?"

R248 She was just OK, very unmemorable, non-demanding role, but they owed her one for Interiors.

by Anonymousreply 250June 14, 2020 3:49 PM

R249: I can't believe Nicholson and Hunt won for their cartoonish and sitcom performances. Nicholson is the most overrated actor ever.

by Anonymousreply 251June 14, 2020 7:03 PM

I don't think Nicholson is overrated at all. His first two Oscar wins are justified.

ASAIG would have worked better had they lightened it up a little more. I think Holly Hunter would have played off Nicholson better. I never got the praise for Helen Hunt in the 90's. She won umpteen Emmys for that TV show she did with Paul Reiser, and it's practically unwatchable now.

by Anonymousreply 252June 14, 2020 9:05 PM

Gloria Grahame should have gotten it for one of her great film noir peformances. She's fine in "The Bad and the Beautiful" but it's a 10-minute role without even the great scene of a Beatrice Straight win.

by Anonymousreply 253June 14, 2020 9:13 PM

What role should Glo have won for?

by Anonymousreply 254June 14, 2020 9:19 PM

R254 The Big Heat or In a Lonely Place

by Anonymousreply 255June 15, 2020 12:46 AM

I didn’t think that Ingrid Bergman was all that in GASLIGHT.

by Anonymousreply 256June 15, 2020 1:10 AM

I don't think Gaslight was Bergman's best role (although she was good especially in her final scene with Boyar where she was pretending to be crazy), but I don't think it is anywhere near the most undeserving Oscar. She really should have at least been nominated for Notorious.

by Anonymousreply 257June 15, 2020 1:31 AM

I would have given it to Barbara Stanwyck for her role as the murderous ubercunt in DOUBLE INDEMNITY.

by Anonymousreply 258June 15, 2020 2:13 AM

Sean Penn for 'Milk'.

by Anonymousreply 259June 15, 2020 5:51 AM

I want to pick Laura Dern because of recency bias (ScarJo should have won) but it’s clearly Rami Malek (I would have preferred Banderas).

by Anonymousreply 260June 15, 2020 7:12 AM

Wow R245 I haven't seen Airport in many years but that is an incredibly bad, amateurish performance. Stapleton should taken that, she put Hayes to shame.

by Anonymousreply 261June 16, 2020 2:46 AM

Correcting myself, Banderas was nominated a different year than when Malek won.

by Anonymousreply 262June 16, 2020 2:48 AM

r261 the linked scene you are talking about has Hayes purposely not acting well. She is part of the plot the pilot cooks up to get the suitcase away from the guy next to her which has the bomb. Her tears are intentionally overdone.

It was a very popular performance. The comic relief of the film.

but Stapleton was excellent too.

by Anonymousreply 263June 16, 2020 3:20 AM

She wasn't acting well before she knew what the plot was R263

by Anonymousreply 264June 16, 2020 3:49 AM

We have different opinions. I think she did a good job playing the eccentric old woman.

by Anonymousreply 265June 16, 2020 3:53 AM

Well, she didn't.

by Anonymousreply 266June 16, 2020 4:14 PM

Did Helen get her tits out in Airport?

The old pervs of the Academy were very keen to award sexy ladies showing off their hooters and coochie-coochie-coo around the time she won!

by Anonymousreply 267June 16, 2020 4:20 PM

[QUOTE] I want to pick Laura Dern because of recency bias (ScarJo should have won)

ScarJo was wonderful in Jojo Rabbit.

by Anonymousreply 268June 16, 2020 8:57 PM

R265 Before she does the deliberate overacting I don't see anything "hammy" - she practically does nothing and when she does, it's reacting, which is what screen acting is. Incidentally there is nothing wrong with Maureen Stapleton's performance but I don't think it was Oscar-worthy. She always gave that performance. She was great in Plaza Suite, actually.

by Anonymousreply 269June 17, 2020 5:22 PM

Did anyone here get to see Maureen Stapleton in “The Little Foxes”? I have always heard she stole the show.

by Anonymousreply 270June 17, 2020 7:42 PM

R269 Yes, you're right, Hayes was brilliant and masterfully subtle. Jesus Christ, let it go. She stinks. She always stunk.

R270 Yes, I was lucky enough to get to see that production of The Little Foxes. Stapleton was honestly great and heartbreaking. And Elizabeth Taylor acquitted herself quite well (as opposed to her Private Lives, which was embarrassing. Despite Burton being great fun.)

by Anonymousreply 271June 17, 2020 8:38 PM

Meryl Streep as Margaret Thatcher. A highly mannered performance of an awful woman politician. And she looked like a clown in her bouffant wig.

by Anonymousreply 272June 17, 2020 10:54 PM

Best Picture: Braveheart

Best Actor: John Wayne, Rami Malek, Joaquin Phoenix

Best Actress: Grace Kelly, Renee Z

Best Sup. Actor: Brad Pitt

Best Sup. Actress: Mira Sorvino, Renee Z

by Anonymousreply 273June 17, 2020 11:38 PM

[quote] Yes, you're right, Hayes was brilliant and masterfully subtle. Jesus Christ, let it go. She stinks. She always stunk.

Oh ok opinionated old queen who saw The Little Foxes so long ago everyone in it is dead now.

by Anonymousreply 274June 18, 2020 3:08 AM

Renee Zellweger. The second time. Judy must be rolling in her grave. I just don't get why they wanted to reward her for just an OK performance in a mediocre film.

by Anonymousreply 275June 18, 2020 5:40 AM

The mouth breathing nitwit, Jennifer Hudson.

by Anonymousreply 276June 18, 2020 6:42 AM

NOT R271 here, Just an impartial bystander observing that R274 is a little twat.

by Anonymousreply 277June 18, 2020 2:45 PM

Laura Dern is one of the weakest in memory, she did nothing of note. In fact she was a bit OTT.

by Anonymousreply 278June 18, 2020 6:41 PM

Pretty much every actor that has won in the past two years.

Malek - The Academy should be ashamed of itself. The worst of the bunch.

Colman - The role was not that challenging for her

King - she did absolutely nothing. This was a career win.

Ali - he stole Richard E. Grant's much deserved oscar.

Phoenix - too much effort; too little payoff

Zellweger - she only won because they never rewarded Judy Garland when she was alive. I still can't believe she's a two time winner.

Pitt - all he did was drive around LA and look handsome.

Dern - injustice that she won for reading a cringeworthy, over the top monologue

by Anonymousreply 279June 18, 2020 6:53 PM

This year it appeared both Best Actor and Best Actress were off their titz on drugs, considering their rambling, nonsensical speeches.

by Anonymousreply 280June 18, 2020 6:58 PM

Zellweger's second win stings because Theron, Ronan, and Johansson all outacted her. Even those who weren't nominated like Lupita, Mary Kay Place, Alfre Woodard, Elizabeth Moss all outacted her too.

by Anonymousreply 281June 18, 2020 7:03 PM

"Oh ok opinionated old queen who saw The Little Foxes so long ago everyone in it is dead now."

R274 What a retarded comeback. Go learn yourself some zing, hon.

by Anonymousreply 282June 18, 2020 10:25 PM

I've always liked Cliff Robertson, but his win for Charly isn't my favorite.

It should have gone to Peter O'Toole that year.

by Anonymousreply 283June 19, 2020 2:20 AM

I love Renee's Judy win - great performance.

Cold Mountain - no, Renee's first Oscar wasn't deserved. But when I go look at the other nominees I have no idea who should have gotten it - REALLY WEAK YEAR for supporting.

(I hated House of Sand and Fog so no, not Shohreh Aghdashloo)

by Anonymousreply 284June 19, 2020 2:27 AM

It’s funny that both of Renee’s wins are for weaker performances. Her win this year seemed to have more to do with how much we all like her than anything else.

by Anonymousreply 285June 19, 2020 11:05 AM

r285 The Judy movie was shit. It was so full of inaccuracies. And no one cares about the last 2 years of her life, because we already know what she was doing.

by Anonymousreply 286June 19, 2020 7:48 PM

I believe Renee Z. won for Judy for almost the same reason that Liza Minnelli won for Cabaret. It was Hollywood awarding Judy Garland in an tired attempt to get over their guilt for not awarding such a legendary talent. Granted I do think Liza gives a better performance and was in a better film than Renee but Liza should not have won over fellow nominees Cicely Tyson (Sounder) and Diana Ross (Lady Sings the Blues) who gave far superior performances. #BlackLivesMatter

by Anonymousreply 287June 19, 2020 8:01 PM

R283 Either O’Toole or Alan Bates in “The fixer” (which I finally watched toda) or Alan Atkin in “The heart is a Lonely Hunter” (he won some critics awards, but I’ve learned hisASL is not very authentic) would have been better choices. Robertson was far from bad, but the script and direction didn’t help much. 11-year-old me would have wanted Ron Moody to win.

by Anonymousreply 288June 19, 2020 9:29 PM

Frances McDormand. The second time. She was offensive, disgusting, and one-note.

by Anonymousreply 289June 20, 2020 4:16 PM

I thought Margot Robbie was going to win that year for I, Tonya. I thought she was revelatory in that role.

by Anonymousreply 290June 20, 2020 4:33 PM

Frances McD is nuts.

by Anonymousreply 291June 23, 2020 2:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!