Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Germany's Angela Merkel rejects Trump invite to attend G7 summit in Washington

“The federal chancellor thanks President Trump for his invitation to the G7 summit at the end of June in Washington. As of today, considering the overall pandemic situation, she cannot agree to her personal participation, to a journey to Washington,” the report quoted German government spokesman Steffen Seibert as saying.

Trump believes there would be “no greater example of reopening” than holding a G7 summit in the United States near the end of June, the White House said on Tuesday.

Can there really be a G7 summit without Germany?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65June 6, 2020 8:04 PM

If the summit is held at all, it will accomplish nothing. Every world leader is up to his/her eyes in their individual countries due the pandemic. Trump just wants the other leaders adulation on a world stage. But they don't have time to be issuing statements and forced to the podium to praise Trump for his lies, chaos and mismanagement.

by Anonymousreply 1May 30, 2020 8:46 PM

Ha. She's just not that into him!

by Anonymousreply 2May 30, 2020 8:48 PM

They should kick the US out of the G7 as it is no longer a liberal democracy.

by Anonymousreply 3May 30, 2020 8:52 PM

[quote]They should kick the US out of the G7 as it is no longer a liberal democracy.

Clearly, has no idea what the G7 is or what the criteria for membership are.

by Anonymousreply 4May 30, 2020 9:00 PM

They don't trust Trump not to poison them with the Rona at the WH banquet. It would be sweet revenge by Trump on his critics and they don't trust him. He would love to be the G7 survivor, what a Man!

by Anonymousreply 5May 30, 2020 9:01 PM

I would love it if nobody shows up.

by Anonymousreply 6May 30, 2020 9:12 PM

Nobody's gonna show. Fuck Trump with his narcissism.

by Anonymousreply 7May 30, 2020 9:28 PM

They will all do the summit, via tele conferencing. The only thing that got cancelled is his vanity event on location.

What I'm really wondering: Why even have the summit? It's not that the seven could agree on one thing. And none of the countries are in the position to think strategically right now anyway. Everybody will agree that things are dire, and that's it.

by Anonymousreply 8May 30, 2020 9:51 PM

I can get Big Macs in Germany if I want one.

by Anonymousreply 9May 30, 2020 9:57 PM

If the summit were happening elsewhere other than the U.S., Trump would never decline a chance to be center stage. I wonder if this will happen. I love it that Merkel told him to go pound sand in the shadiest of ways.

by Anonymousreply 10May 30, 2020 10:03 PM

Is he having it at one of his properties?

by Anonymousreply 11May 30, 2020 10:04 PM

Ohhh, what a slap in the face! Anyone else (meaning anyone with a brain) would have quietly sounded out the other world leaders whether they felt comfortable attending a summit in DC (and in June no less!) before making a big announcement. Without Angela, there can't be a summit. It will be interesting to see how the other 6 respond. Trump needs this election year meeting more than they do.

by Anonymousreply 12May 30, 2020 10:06 PM

No-one has any faith in Trump and his leadership. He's a complete embarrassment. No-one wants to have anything to do with him.

by Anonymousreply 13May 30, 2020 10:07 PM

Good for Dr. Merkel. She doesn't need to have tRump's spittle landing near her face.

by Anonymousreply 14May 30, 2020 10:09 PM

IMO, she really tried to get along with Trump. It was almost embarrassing. She had no chill. She has given up with Trump.

by Anonymousreply 15May 30, 2020 10:10 PM

The rest of the world should give up on Trump as well. He’s such a fucking loser.

by Anonymousreply 16May 30, 2020 10:16 PM

I bet the G7 leaders have been looking at the polling for the US election and think there's no point in investing any additional time and energy on Trump.

by Anonymousreply 17May 30, 2020 11:06 PM

Atta girl Angie!!

by Anonymousreply 18May 30, 2020 11:14 PM

She honestly gives fraus a good name. They are so lucky to have her.

by Anonymousreply 19May 30, 2020 11:40 PM

R11, he tried to get it at one of his properties, but lots of protests made him change it to Camp David. Who wants to hang out at Camp David.

I hope all the other countries leaders say they will not attend. Fuck trump.

by Anonymousreply 20May 31, 2020 12:28 AM

Merkel's a definite no, bless her. Trudeau and Macron are "I don't know," Abe and Boris are "yes" and the Italian hasn't responded in any way yet.

So let's say Merkel, Trudeau and Macron all say no - then it's off. Move to teleconference.

by Anonymousreply 21May 31, 2020 12:40 AM

They have already set up a teleconference for mid June. Trump is proposing to meet in person instead at the end of the month.

by Anonymousreply 22May 31, 2020 12:47 AM

Look guys, just Trump's BO was enough to keep them away but they couldn't say so; now they just cite the Rona, even though Trump says it is a Democrat conspiracy like his BO.

by Anonymousreply 23May 31, 2020 1:23 AM

Boris Johnson said yes? Dammit. Birds of a feather.

by Anonymousreply 24May 31, 2020 2:27 AM

[quote]Trudeau and Macron are "I don't know,"

Hopefully Trudeau and Macron will work together against Trump.

by Anonymousreply 25May 31, 2020 2:46 AM

If Trudeau and Macron don't go, Trump will be hurt, again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 31, 2020 2:57 AM

Of course there can be a summit without Merkel. She's wildly unpopular and single handedly responsible for allowing millions of criminal violent migrants into her country. She has blood on her hands. She's a lame duck who is being replaced.

by Anonymousreply 27May 31, 2020 7:09 AM

Hi Boris @ r27, how's the borscht today?

by Anonymousreply 28May 31, 2020 7:50 AM

Boris Johnson needs to be careful, as his polls are collapsing in the UK, as the death toll rises; the business with his vile advisor Cummings stirred up huge outrage, even (especially?) among Tory voters. Cringing in front of Trump will be unpopular in the UK in itself and may well be a total waste of time anyway. Sure, their majority makes the Tories safe in government for another four years, but they have no problem jettisoning a Prime Minister who becomes a liability, as they did with both Thatcher and May. There are already some signs of support for the Chancellor, who out of all the government ministers has had the closest to a 'good war' in the COVID crisis.

by Anonymousreply 29May 31, 2020 12:10 PM

[quote]There are already some signs of support for the Chancellor

The British people can't even pronouce Rishi Sunak, much less make him Prime Minister of the country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 31, 2020 12:17 PM

[quote] [Merkel is] wildly unpopular and single handedly responsible for allowing millions of criminal violent migrants into her country. She has blood on her hands. She's a lame duck who is being replaced.

Ok, let's add data to the troll posting: "millions of criminal violent migrants" - Merkel allowed millions of 'refugees' into the country, not migrants. A little under 1.5 million ended up requesting asylum in Germany. Within the three years of the refugee crisis 500,000 violent crimes were attributed to foreigners.

And more opinion based: By offering refugees a place to stay, she probably saved thousands of Syrians' lives. So, no blood on her hands.

And finally: "She's a lame duck who is being replaced.": All democratic leaders are replaced at some point. In the most recent polls from this month she is listed as the politician with the highest approval rating. She is probably the first German chancellor after WW2 who is leaving on her own terms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 31, 2020 1:31 PM

It wouldn't be the British people, R30 - it would be the MPs of the Conservative Party, some of whom are muttering about it. It won't happen, I imagine, but it is a warning to Boris.

by Anonymousreply 32May 31, 2020 1:39 PM

[quote]Hopefully Trudeau and Macron will work together

If we're hoping, let's hope they do more than that, they're naked, and there's film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 31, 2020 1:54 PM

I'm hoping the other major players in the G7 follow Merkel's lead and make Trump's summit a massive failure. But we all know what will happen if they do. Trump will cancel the whole thing and claim it was because HE had scheduling conflicts, not because no one of any merit wanted to come. I just want it to end up a colossal embarrassment for him.

by Anonymousreply 34May 31, 2020 2:00 PM

Merkel is one of the best respected leaders in the world, and like any self-respecting leader, she's not going to set foot in the Covid petri dish that is the US.

by Anonymousreply 35May 31, 2020 2:06 PM

They may figure that Trump will be gone in January or before, and he’s so much work to tolerate. The smaller countries will attend, plus obsequious Japan. The larger countries, France, Canada, maybe a few others, may also decline.

We’ve seen before that Trump’s emotionalism and disrespect for diplomatic methods throw everybody off and cause him embarrassment because he didn’t work things out quietly in advance; like the various, diplomatically pointless North Korean meetings.

If he’s given another four years, he still wouldn’t learn how it’s done. He never learns anything. He’s incapable of it.

by Anonymousreply 36May 31, 2020 2:18 PM

BoJo has already had COVID so he can't catch it again by meeting with Typhoid Trump. Gonorrhea, syphilis, herpes and/or chlamydia, sure. But not the COVID

by Anonymousreply 37May 31, 2020 4:34 PM

Boris will do anything for America - he's quite literally up shit creek without a paddle, and (with Brexit) using his hands to sweep us over the cliff edge into shit gorge...

by Anonymousreply 38May 31, 2020 5:17 PM

Mango Mussolini has now cancelled the June summit. He says he will reschedule it for September and wants to add Russia (of course), Australia, India, and South Korea to the new G11 anti-China conference.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 31, 2020 5:57 PM

So he pisses off the rest of the G7 by not consulting them and pisses off all the other countries who can say, well if them, why not us? Such diplomatic finesse. It's like the age of Metternich and Talleyrand reborn!

by Anonymousreply 40May 31, 2020 6:10 PM

I knew it! I knew he'd cancel it and tell a lie about why he did. Trust me you fat fucker, you cancelled it because no one wanted to come, not any other reason. The real G7 countries should refuse to attend any future summits held in the US until after Trump is gone.

by Anonymousreply 41May 31, 2020 6:17 PM

It's not going to happen in September, either. None of the other leaders is eager to give him a platform two months before the elections, all get more support at home by staying home, and most would likely still have to quarantine themselves on arrival in the US or back at home if, as expected, the US is still a hotspot. There's no upside to coming and a perfectly valid reason to stay home.

The cancelled meeting he was calling for, as Merkel rightly noted, had none of the planning completed let alone begun in advance as is always the case before one of these shindigs. They all rightly see a meeting now as a shitshow he's trying to convene to bolster his nonexistent foreign policy cred. Some are more reluctant than others to come out and say so, but there's nothing in it for them that's positive until the pandemic is under control and Trump is out of office.

by Anonymousreply 42May 31, 2020 6:33 PM

And other that the head fake of inviting South Korea (and leaving out his butt buddy Brazil) - he's proposing to expand the membership to a full authoritarian (Russia under Putin), a problematic democracies with a populist proto-authoritarian (India under Modi) and a right wing government without similar GDP. The G7 is meant to be the liberal (the economic definition, not the stupid American one) democratic governments with the largest economies in the world.

by Anonymousreply 43May 31, 2020 6:49 PM

Russia, India, and U.K.

The rest won’t show or participate.

by Anonymousreply 44May 31, 2020 7:00 PM

Angela Skypes with Trump

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 1, 2020 2:27 AM

Trump expanded the new September meeting to "11."

Guess what? Russia is the 11th largest economy in the world.

by Anonymousreply 46June 1, 2020 3:37 AM

Right on, Angela.

by Anonymousreply 47June 1, 2020 6:34 AM

R31 if your research claims 500,000 foreign criminal out of 1.5 million thats a HUGE percentage. Those are just the crimes that get reported to boot. Don't forget the mass increase in rape and sexual assaults, including gang rape, which migrants introduced to Europe. People and especially women the world over are appalled what she has done. She's leaving her position at the end of the term because of this issue. In Europe their call her a monster. How many young European women must be killed at the expense of "saving lives"?

by Anonymousreply 48June 1, 2020 6:41 AM

r48, first let's talk about your your loose use of data and information. In your r27 you voice outrage based on made up facts. Answer that first, then we talk about the crimes.

by Anonymousreply 49June 1, 2020 11:51 AM

What made up facts? There are millions of these predators all over the EU and UK. If you actually did the research, as I have you would know what a huge problem this has become. Do your research and get back to me.

by Anonymousreply 50June 1, 2020 1:47 PM

Yes, R46, I thought "September 11" had a nice ring to it.

by Anonymousreply 51June 1, 2020 2:27 PM

R50 etc., I am not going down that rabbit hole you keep laying out. You state lofty allegations as facts (like in your R50 post again) to incite outrage, and I refuse to get sucked into your troll game. You get me actual and verified data, then we'll talk.

by Anonymousreply 52June 1, 2020 3:06 PM

Trudeau wastes no time in letting his position be known:

"Russia was excluded from the G7 after it invaded Crimea a number of years ago, and its continued disrespect and flaunting of international rules and norms is why it remains outside of the G7, and it will continue to remain out."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 1, 2020 8:08 PM

Love it!

by Anonymousreply 54June 1, 2020 8:40 PM

BoJo says NO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 1, 2020 10:00 PM

Pandemic or not, Russia was removed from the G7 for a reason. He just can't invite them, it's not a fucking party.

by Anonymousreply 56June 1, 2020 10:08 PM

Johnson and his team made a lot of fuss about Jeremy Corbyn over his (admittedly inept) response to the Salisbury poisonings. No way can he let Putin into the club and smile. Trump will have to backtrack in his usual spluttering way, otherwise its him lining up with Putin and a gang of second-rank countries (assuming any of them turn up, of course).

by Anonymousreply 57June 1, 2020 10:25 PM

Someone on TV pointed out that he doesn't play chess; he eats the pieces.

by Anonymousreply 58June 2, 2020 2:02 AM

William Drozdiak, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution who wrote a book about French president Emmanuel Macron, shared an anecdote about Macron and Merkel with the Times. He claims that Merkel told Macron, “Be my guest, be the interlocutor, I don’t want to be in the room with the guy.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59June 4, 2020 5:52 AM

Amusing how former Swiss PM Carl Bildt became "Bidet" from one bullet point to the next in a publication called "The Intellectualist."

by Anonymousreply 60June 4, 2020 6:06 AM

^Sorry, Swedish PM

by Anonymousreply 61June 4, 2020 6:08 AM

R57, at this point it's doubtful a second-rank country would want to be seen aligning itself with the US. By the time of the election Trump might have to be cosying up to the Dafur Orphan.

by Anonymousreply 62June 4, 2020 3:23 PM

Trump directs Pentagon to pull 9,500 troops from Germany, report says

STUTTGART, Germany— President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to pull nearly 10,000 troops out of Germany by September, which would mark a sharp drawdown in a country that is home to the largest number of forces in Europe, the Wall Street Journal reported Friday.

Pentagon officials on Friday said they were unaware of the plan. But the Journal, citing unnamed government officials, said White House National Security Advisor Robert O’Brien recently signed off on it

The move would cut 9,500 troops from the 34,500 that are stationed in Europe, the Journal reported. The plan also would put a cap on the number of forces that could be in Germany at any given time to 25,000 personnel, which would put tight restrictions on the types of training missions that U.S. European Command could carry out in the country.

In recent years, the military has relied heavily on rotational forces to move in and out of Germany for NATO related exercises. During major drills, the total force can increase to roughly 50,000 depending on the nature of the training.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63June 6, 2020 12:06 AM

The move above only harms U.S. military capabilities and options. Germany won't care a bit, and the German people will be glad of fewer American troops, who, frankly, are a bit too arrogant when stationed there.

But I guess he showed her!

by Anonymousreply 64June 6, 2020 7:49 PM

Trump only wants the G7 to bring Russia back in.

by Anonymousreply 65June 6, 2020 8:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!