Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The riots and protests all over the country in the wake of Minneapolis

What's your primary feeling?

by Anonymousreply 449June 12, 2020 8:49 PM

I think it's going to expand and become something both Trump and Biden have to respond to. It will mix into the COVID response, economic uncertainty, etc. If it was just the Minneapolis riots Trump might win. As a full collection of crisis people are going to crave stability. That absolutely favors Biden plus a vibrant VP.

by Anonymousreply 1May 30, 2020 4:48 AM

Part of me says the riots and protests are overdue. Things aren't going to change unless we make them change. And another part of me is terrified that this will scare middle America and empower the lunatics on the right. Our country is on the brink of disaster -a terrible precipice. I don't know if this is what will pull us away from danger or push us over the edge.

by Anonymousreply 2May 30, 2020 4:54 AM

Ferguson was a perfect case. This was a village which lived by criminalizing and extorting people. Minneapolis does not. It had a bad copy. Well there are bad cops in every town. Riots won't fix it. Republicans could have fixed both these issues: by demonizing Ferguson; and by treating cops like the overpaid greedy bureaucrats with too much power that they are. But Republicans didn't because fundamentally they only care about power, and they are all for the abuse of power as long as it is in their interest. But Democrats couldn't win based on this either, because they don't message effectively any more.

by Anonymousreply 3May 30, 2020 5:06 AM

This will definitely affect the views of middle Americans. Looting and vandalism goes way past protesting. White America isn't looking at Biden as a solution. This is where Trump is strong. The rioting and violence only confirm already previously held negative beliefs about Democrat states.

by Anonymousreply 4May 30, 2020 5:19 AM

Trump is strong on...what??? He didn't even have a single word to say about any of this shit during his so-called "press conference" today. All he does is tweet out incendiary garbage. He made things 10x worse.

by Anonymousreply 5May 30, 2020 5:27 AM

Many of them are going to get very sick from being in close proximity with other people at these riots.

by Anonymousreply 6May 30, 2020 5:37 AM

I actually worry a lot now about the destruction of our social fabric. This expansion of racism will never end in my lifetime, which is sad. I am not that old.

by Anonymousreply 7May 30, 2020 5:48 AM

If White Supremacist were rounded up and put in prison, things might change. If people like Trump and Limbaugh were put in prison as hey should be, we might have a chance against racism.

by Anonymousreply 8May 30, 2020 5:53 AM

[quote]This will definitely affect the views of middle Americans. Looting and vandalism goes way past protesting. White America isn't looking at Biden as a solution. This is where Trump is strong. The rioting and violence only confirm already previously held negative beliefs about Democrat states.

Exactly. They're appalled at the way protesters are destroying property and looting businesses in their own communities. Very few voters have sympathy for them, no matter how righteous their anger. The poor man who lost his life to a murdering cop has faded into the background now. Good job protestors.

The vast majority of Americans are grateful this isn't happening in their own safe communities. Trump is an expert at playing to that fear. He doesn't have to do anything at all, just make a few public comments about how terrible it is and wait for it to die down. The people rioting, and their sympathizers, were never going to vote for him anyway. He doesn't GAF about them.

by Anonymousreply 9May 30, 2020 10:28 AM

[QUOTE] I think it's going to expand and become something both Trump and Biden have to respond to.

Have to respond? They’ve already responded numerous times: Trump with incendiary racist dogwhistles then cowardice, and Joe Biden with empathy, intellect and class:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 30, 2020 1:18 PM

As for OP’s poll, the options are too extreme. They’re not helping or hurting any politicians; it’s a wash (though Joe Biden has looked FAR more presidential throughout the entire ordeal than Trump). It won’t destroy the country, nor is it meaningless.

The people are rioting for a reason. The media would’ve already moved on to the latest Trump controversy without it. It’s the only thing that gets attention from our capitalist overlords. I think the unfortunate property destruction combined with a conviction of Chauvin and changes in policing can help move us toward a future where cops show more humanity toward the people they were hired to serve and protect. We also need to keep those iPhone cameras rolling. The more the world can see the brutality for themselves, the better.

by Anonymousreply 11May 30, 2020 1:36 PM

Trump may be sorry that he pushed for “opening up the country.” He just wanted his beautiful economy back, now he has riots.

by Anonymousreply 12May 30, 2020 2:21 PM

Serious question - how many were expecting to see the crowds over-run the fences at the White House last night?

by Anonymousreply 13May 30, 2020 2:32 PM

The police are out of control. I hope the protestors burn it all down. Fuck all of you complacent old hags. We didn't get any rights sitting on our couches whinging about "safe communities"

by Anonymousreply 14May 30, 2020 2:40 PM

Martial Law = King Trump

by Anonymousreply 15May 30, 2020 2:46 PM

Troll Alert at r14.

Oh, shut up, Dmitri.

Of course some of the police are out of control. Of course drastic, no holds barred measures are needed, and feet held to the fire to make damn sure it happens.

The looters and rioters are hurting the very same community members from where George Floyd came from.

Asshole.

by Anonymousreply 16May 30, 2020 2:55 PM

This happens every time there’s one of these police-killings. It’s nothing new and it won’t change anything.

by Anonymousreply 17May 30, 2020 3:01 PM

People are tired of all the crazy that’s happened under Trump. He needs to go.

by Anonymousreply 18May 30, 2020 3:02 PM

I don't like Trump, but the Dems are weak. I really don't like weak.

by Anonymousreply 19May 30, 2020 3:03 PM

The timing is terrible, but the killing of black citizens takes no holidays. Had it not been for that, this wouldn’t be happening. Not saying riots and looting are acceptable (demonstrations I can get behind, however), but people are understandably angry, frustrated and in pain, both because apparently human life is very cheap in some cases. We all saw this guy get murdered on TV, an actual maniac is the president, there is a pandemic and people have lost their jobs. Not easy to stay calm and hopeful.

Btw, CNN just mentioned both US white supremacists and Russia as possibly being implicated here.

by Anonymousreply 20May 30, 2020 3:08 PM

Fuck you, r16 -- I'm not a troll, I'm a pissed off American citizen watching the militarized thugs in uniform step on the necks of my fellow Americans and suffer no repercussions. Thinking of black neighborhoods as "their" communities is part of the problem -- these are our people, our communities, and the cops are murdering our citizens. Spend your energy being upset about a fucking Target store, an Arbys, and prove to everybody else your own inhumanity.

by Anonymousreply 21May 30, 2020 3:21 PM

If the police don't act, a protestor dies,property gets damaged, and people start stabbing eachother. However if they do get involved, then they are interrupting peaceful protests and the proof are 20 second videos taken out of context. Transparent BS.

by Anonymousreply 22May 30, 2020 3:22 PM

[quote]However if they do get involved, then they are interrupting peaceful protests

These “protests” are not peaceful. They are riots, which are not legal.

by Anonymousreply 23May 30, 2020 3:25 PM

Oh no not legal! Tell that to Stonewall, you Uncle Tom motherfucker

by Anonymousreply 24May 30, 2020 3:27 PM

[quote] Spend your energy being upset about a fucking Target store, an Arbys, and prove to everybody else your own inhumanity.

This sentence proves you're deliberately distorting my meaning at r16. I'm not referencing an Arby's or a Target, both corporations.

I'm talking about, as should be obvious from my previous post, that it's black-owned businesses and homes that are being harmed by rioters and looters.

Also, did you not hear and see the Mayor of Atlanta talk about this? She's absolutely right to call for end to the looting and rioting.

And, finally, it's being strongly suggested that the criminal agitators are White Supremacists.

by Anonymousreply 25May 30, 2020 3:31 PM

R23 Technically, these gatherings are not even legal.

by Anonymousreply 26May 30, 2020 3:32 PM

Here is my thing about all this. It seems like whenever anyone except straight white people protest it becomes "a problem" for white people. Minorities can protest, even peacefully, and there are people complaining about it. Black people want to march and you see police out in riot gear. Gay people want to have a parade and it becomes a symbol of the moral decay in the country. NYCers board up their businesses and leave town for the Puerto Rican day parade.

The message is clear, if you are a member of a minority group (especially black and brown people) then you don't have a right to protest or even celebrate.

I don't understand why they burn down and target their own neighborhoods and it's probably counterproductive. But, when you're angry and frustrated and no one is listening and you feel like you've been gaslighted for the millionth time, you don't always think rationally.

And finally, maybe instead of asking why and where these people are rioting and looting, maybe the question should be why does the root cause of the rioting and looting keep happening.

by Anonymousreply 27May 30, 2020 3:48 PM

R27 I sat for Pride this month, we break in and redecorate their houses!

by Anonymousreply 28May 30, 2020 3:51 PM

It's a start.

by Anonymousreply 29May 30, 2020 3:51 PM

I save my anger for the white nationalists and the murdering pigs and it's plenty to fuel me up

by Anonymousreply 30May 30, 2020 3:52 PM

R27 You're wrong. There was plenty of negative media coverage regarding the lockdown protestors. These "protests" were not civil, which is why the military police will have to get involved.

[quote] I don't understand why they burn down and target their own neighborhoods and it's probably counterproductive

Perhaps you see a difference now.

[quote] But, when you're angry and frustrated and no one is listening and you feel like you've been gaslighted for the millionth time, you don't always think rationally.

Excuses, excuses...

by Anonymousreply 31May 30, 2020 5:22 PM

Pfft. You call these 'riots?'

by Anonymousreply 32May 30, 2020 5:24 PM

R31, where in my post did I mention anything about media coverage?

by Anonymousreply 33May 30, 2020 5:31 PM

R33 It's one of the few metrics that are measurable. One is being condemned and the other is being encouraged despite a pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 34May 30, 2020 5:36 PM

I support all good police, which is the very vast majority. I do not support the cops who murdered in Minn. I do not support lawlessness and looting. Arrests and prosecutions should be made and no passes given.

by Anonymousreply 35May 30, 2020 5:36 PM

Random thoughts.

The protesters and certainly the looters are a minority. There are lots of frustrated hurt bewildered black and brown people who are staying responsibly at home but suffering deeply.

I think it is too early to tell what this means.

I think Biden should pledge to appoint Obama to lead a commission on the development of solutions to address the systemic racial problems that exist in American society. His first act on day one.

I don’t know how this is really solved. To actually break free of all that cripples and corrupts American society the country is going to have to give up these fictions of the greatest nation on earth and the American dream. I don’t know how you do that. The US is not the greatest country on earth. In fact it’s probably one of the worst. There is so much plenty and it is so badly treated. It’s up there with South Africa during apartheid. So much wealth, so much potential opportunity, yet it cannot accept laissez faire is wrong and unproductive in every respect.

by Anonymousreply 36May 30, 2020 5:49 PM

[quote]I think Biden should pledge to appoint Obama to lead a commission on the development of solutions to address the systemic racial problems that exist in American society. His first act on day one.

Obama had EIGHT years as leader of the free world, and race relations in this country worsened under his tenure.

No, he shouldn’t be appointed to anything. It’s time for new leaders with new ideas.

by Anonymousreply 37May 30, 2020 5:55 PM

This is just the beginning. It will escalate.

by Anonymousreply 38May 30, 2020 5:56 PM

Obama has stature and trust. He’d be a good choice. Who better?

by Anonymousreply 39May 30, 2020 5:57 PM

[quote] race relations in this country worsened under his tenure.

FOX News talking point.

by Anonymousreply 40May 30, 2020 6:00 PM

I'd vote for several of these, actually. I have conflicting feelings on this subject.

by Anonymousreply 41May 30, 2020 6:10 PM

No. No. No. What is forming commissions and appointing Obama to anything going to solve?

This is a white issue, that white people refuse to deal with. You turn a blind eye to racism in your families and in your daily lives. You ignore systemic racism in the institutions and corporations of this country. You turn a blind eye to white people weaponizing race where they see fit. You're all "woke" (I hate that word) on social media, but you don't practice what you tweet.

If you want to be an ally acknowledge the bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 42May 30, 2020 6:11 PM

"If Obama hadn't been so uppity, police wouldn't be having to suffocate black people in broad daylight!"

by Anonymousreply 43May 30, 2020 6:13 PM

R42 that was why I suggested Obama. He’s someone a lot of people listen to.

I get what you’re saying but how do you measure/ prove it? For people of colour to see progress means have to be implemented that requires a process and action.

by Anonymousreply 44May 30, 2020 6:18 PM

[quote]This is a white issue, that white people refuse to deal with. You turn a blind eye to racism in your families and in your daily lives.

Seeing this as a “white issue” and expecting white people to solve it is not going to accomplish anything.

Most white people view racial problems as a failure of black people to integrate into society, and don’t give it much more thought than that.

by Anonymousreply 45May 30, 2020 6:19 PM

I’m 100% behind the civil disobedience.157 years of institutional racism and police abuse of power needs to be stopped. If I lived in an urban area, I’d participate.

by Anonymousreply 46May 30, 2020 6:22 PM

White people have to understand the destructive impact of racism. Black people have to forgive them. Otherwise, the divide will take so long to close. I recognize what a huge ask it is to ask forgiveness.

by Anonymousreply 47May 30, 2020 6:24 PM

R47: Bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 48May 30, 2020 6:25 PM

Black owned trending on Twitter. Apparently it's not recommended to loot black owned businesses but any other business is fine.

by Anonymousreply 49May 30, 2020 6:26 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 30, 2020 6:27 PM

R48. That doesn’t tell me much. Why is it bullshit?

by Anonymousreply 51May 30, 2020 6:28 PM

Racism is a festering wound in the USA. It seemed to be ever so slowly healing until Trump came along , ripped off the plaster and poked it with a rusty needle.

Your biggest issue right now is the slow take over of the union by a fascist and his acolytes; the appointment of ignorant and unqualified people to all sorts of federal positions of influence, the removal of federal watchdogs, and the unprecedented transfer of billions of federal dollars to private business, mostly friends and cronies of your corrupt president.

Only one republican senator seems to have had the decency to call out Trump. You should be marching on the White House, on Camp David, on the Supreme court, on every Federal building and politely asking security to step aside a you the people take back control.

Americans are brainwashed by calendar living, programmed to buy in order to celebrate something or other, then to prepare for the next orgy of spending as you celebrate something else. Summer is fixed by Memorial Day and Labor day, spring decided by the appearance or non-appearance of a fucking rodent.

There's 375 million of you, enough to overwhelm the idiots in the state guard, and surely you can persuade the military not to fire on its friends and family members. It's one vast sewer of deceit and stupidity, with just a handful of people willing to fight; the rest of you are too fucking worried about the consequences of your actions and incapable of seeing a bigger picture.

Such a fucking shame.

by Anonymousreply 52May 30, 2020 6:29 PM

This is why a political party made up of a coalition of identities is so vulnerable to splintering. The conservatives are always united.

by Anonymousreply 53May 30, 2020 6:29 PM

[quote]Most white people view racial problems as a failure of black people to integrate into society, and don’t give it much more thought than that.

Then fix it.

by Anonymousreply 54May 30, 2020 6:29 PM

Trump is going to be re-elected.

by Anonymousreply 55May 30, 2020 6:31 PM

R55, like hell he will. He has the blood over 100,000 dead Americans on his hands just right now. And things are only going to get worse for him!

by Anonymousreply 56May 30, 2020 6:53 PM

Apparently the people arrested in Minneapolis were not from Minneapolis.

by Anonymousreply 57May 30, 2020 7:07 PM

Like this is the time for black people to be forgiving.

NICE TRY, CLETUS!

by Anonymousreply 58May 30, 2020 7:13 PM

R31 racism got worse under Obama because the election of the first black president inflamed the many simmering racists in this country. Racists simply could not stand that a brilliant black man could do a better job than the average white man could ever do, not to mention the evil, nasty, corrupt trump who got "elected" in his wake to Make America White Again.

by Anonymousreply 59May 30, 2020 7:27 PM

Sorry, I meant to address R37 in my post above.

by Anonymousreply 60May 30, 2020 7:28 PM

R59: True - Trump is a retaliation for President Obama.

by Anonymousreply 61May 30, 2020 7:29 PM

r32, you rang?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62May 30, 2020 7:34 PM

Well so much for a dramatic entrance....here's the proper link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 30, 2020 7:37 PM

R63, again -- that's nothing compared to '92.

by Anonymousreply 64May 30, 2020 7:38 PM

Over 40 years ago when I was very young I began a close relationship with an African American that lead to many revelations that I had not considered before. I was raised in a household that valued education and diversity and as a young person my mind and heart were open. Curious, I became a student of African American history, delving into America's past and studying black influence on music, dance, literature, sports, and entertainment, areas where blacks have made amazing contributions that have changed our culture for the better.

As I became to know African Americans on a social level I began to see them as very warm and welcoming after they accepted me as part of the group and not someone who judged or had a hidden agenda. When I was out and about with my friend the reactions we got from other races was telling. Several things happened. I would catch black people looking at me with a kindness and warmth that I hadn't seen before. White people would ask nosy questions, and surprisingly, elderly Asians looked at us with distrust and even once followed us around the store they owned as if they're staring at us kept us from stealing. As a white person I came to understand white privilege and the moving about invisibly in society was not there for people of color. This journey began 40 years ago. Much has changed but we are going backwards again.

One thing I keep in mind is that African Americans were cruelly punished as they became among the earliest of Americans to build this country. Cruelly punished as slaves, cruelly punished as freed slaves, and now when so many are active, successful, and full participants in the American dream, still cruelly punished by the racists among us. Some have been irretrievably broken by racism. They became hard and unrepentant as they tried to live in a society that rejects them. Maya Angelo, one of my favorite authors, had a brother in prison. My friend's father was in prison. But broken people exist in every racial group and we should not just the whole based on a part.

What's happening in Minneapolis and across the country simply illustrated how great the pain is for so many. That there are White Supremacists in their fueling the flames and fomenting violence, along with the violent activists who have derailed the peaceful protesters, are a strong illustration of just how sick America currently is. A start is to vote blue this fall, up and down the ticket. The right is a now the party of hate, if they keep power things will only get worse.

by Anonymousreply 65May 30, 2020 7:49 PM

Sorry, meant to say in the second to last paragraph above "we should not judge the whole based on a part."

by Anonymousreply 66May 30, 2020 7:51 PM

[quote]Racists simply could not stand that a brilliant black man could do a better job than the average white man could ever do

Obama is always portrayed as a brilliant black man, yet people ignore the fact that he is half-white and was raised almost entirely by a white mother and white grandparents.

by Anonymousreply 67May 30, 2020 8:01 PM

But he was black everywhere else he went in the world.

by Anonymousreply 68May 30, 2020 8:08 PM

R67, he looks black, and for racists like trump that's enough to undo his progressive legacy, trash his name, and glorify white supremacists.

by Anonymousreply 69May 30, 2020 8:22 PM

Pittsburgh has gotten in on the fun. Police cruisers set on fire. Protestors throwing objects at officers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70May 30, 2020 9:20 PM

Oh damn, some of the brothers protesting in LA have on minimal clothing and their bodies are hot!

by Anonymousreply 71May 30, 2020 10:14 PM

Riots in downtown Portland last night. We have curfew starting at 8pm tonight.

by Anonymousreply 72May 30, 2020 10:48 PM

Well I guess Covid is officially over. Everyone is out and burning shit down.

by Anonymousreply 73May 30, 2020 11:33 PM

Not an American. Honest question/challenge:

Name one concrete thing that would contribute to solving this problem and why and how are you think it would.

by Anonymousreply 74May 30, 2020 11:38 PM

[quote]Name one concrete thing that would contribute to solving this problem and why and how are you think it would.

Eliminate police unions that serve the purpose of keeping incompetent and abusive officers on the job.

by Anonymousreply 75May 30, 2020 11:42 PM

Mayor Frey is really cute. On MSN now.

by Anonymousreply 76May 30, 2020 11:45 PM

Protesters knocked down the WH barricade. They're coming for you Trump!

by Anonymousreply 77May 31, 2020 12:00 AM

I really wouldn’t mind if they torched the WH. The British did it once.

by Anonymousreply 78May 31, 2020 12:02 AM

R77 - really?! woah!!

by Anonymousreply 79May 31, 2020 12:03 AM

Dump was in Florida for the SpaceX launch today anyway.

by Anonymousreply 80May 31, 2020 12:04 AM

r64, fucking sirens and helicopters ALL DAY today in my neighborhood:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81May 31, 2020 12:06 AM

Rioting in Philadelphia's Center City. Crowds attacked a fire station as well as a municipal services building where rioters shot water pistols containing chemicals at police and gaining entry inside in addition to other incidents.

by Anonymousreply 82May 31, 2020 12:08 AM

R81, what neighborhood?

by Anonymousreply 83May 31, 2020 12:08 AM

R80: Damn.

by Anonymousreply 84May 31, 2020 12:09 AM

R74, if by “the problem” you are referring to institutionalized racism enforced by unprofessional police departments, a quick fix would be tossing William Barr into the trash heap and restoring the Justice Department’s commitment to civil rights.

by Anonymousreply 85May 31, 2020 12:09 AM

A vaccine to the brain virus van Jones was talking about.

by Anonymousreply 86May 31, 2020 12:11 AM

R85: That and remove the Instigator-In-Chief!

by Anonymousreply 87May 31, 2020 12:11 AM

r83, I'm in West Hollywood. Protest started at Pan Pacific Park, then proceeded down 3rd Street to the Beverly Center. Goddamn helicopters have been swooping back and forth since noon, still swooping, so they must be closer now.

by Anonymousreply 88May 31, 2020 12:13 AM

Yeah - LA is starting to get crowded, as well as other areas of the country. Tonight is going to be something. I hope nobody gets hurt!

by Anonymousreply 89May 31, 2020 12:20 AM

You think any of those oh-so-liberal celebrities are going to come out and join the protest? Nope, they’re hiding scared in their panic rooms in their gated mansions in the Hills.

by Anonymousreply 90May 31, 2020 12:23 AM

Be careful Ari Velshi!!!

by Anonymousreply 91May 31, 2020 12:26 AM

Poor Meghan... what to do? What to do?

by Anonymousreply 92May 31, 2020 12:33 AM

They issued a mandatory 8pm curfew for Beverly Hills and West Hollywood tonight.

by Anonymousreply 93May 31, 2020 12:45 AM

R90, they’re totally behind us every step of the way.

I just heard one of them yell from their jacuzzi on the second floor “Go! We’re all with you!”

So there’s that.

by Anonymousreply 94May 31, 2020 12:48 AM

The peaceful protesters should protest by day then go home at dark when curfew begins. It might be easier to determine that the after dark crowd are white supremacists, anarchists, and people only our to destroy rather than people actually concerned with systemic racism.

by Anonymousreply 95May 31, 2020 12:50 AM

Meanwhile in Santa Cruz, the mayor and chief of police take the knee...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96May 31, 2020 12:52 AM

Trump will call for martial law. This weekend could be the beginning of the end of the USA. About time I say. The regions should become separate countries.

by Anonymousreply 97May 31, 2020 1:05 AM

Oh, dear. The hysterical "martial law" queens are making their appearance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98May 31, 2020 1:10 AM

Do any of the protesters bother to vote? Many seem to think this is the way to change things in a Democracy, but when it comes to registering to vote and actually voting I wonder if most are too busy with other things on election day.

by Anonymousreply 99May 31, 2020 1:14 AM

What’s voting got us r99? We elected a dem house and what did we get? Joe Biden told a room of rich people that “nothing would fundamentally change”. America is a broken and failed state.

by Anonymousreply 100May 31, 2020 1:24 AM

SLC -- all the rioters are white dudes.

by Anonymousreply 101May 31, 2020 1:25 AM

Ali Velshi got hit with police tear gas In Minneapolis. They had to cut away from him on MSNBC.

by Anonymousreply 102May 31, 2020 1:48 AM

Ali needs to go home (or back up at least). He is much too close to the action!

by Anonymousreply 103May 31, 2020 2:18 AM

[quote] Part of me says the riots and protests are overdue. Things aren't going to change unless we make them change.

Protests might change things - but violent riots (e.g. brainless, pointless actions like setting a building or car on fire, or throwing rocks at the police) never change anything - this only makes the police angrier and achieves the following anti-result: the Military gets called in and quashes the riots.

The only way to achieve any actual result "via violence" - is either to go [italic]full in[/italic] (which is a very effective but VERY deadly approach) OR to go home & abandon the half-baked, half-arsed violence. Examples of riots going full in and achieving a result / fundamental change (from history): riots that included an assassination of a monarch; riots that expanded into a violent revolution and overthrow of the government; full-on civil war; etc. In those full-on cases - yes, violence achieved fundamental deep changes & shifts in social systems. In most other cases - half-arsed measures like setting cars on fire achieves nothing of value.

But obviously most US citizens don't want to carry out an actual assassination of the Cabinet or engage in a year-long civil war. Unlike real revolutionaries & clash-protestors in history, most rioters today are Millennials who are too afraid of engaging in PERSON-ON-PERSON violence against Military soldiers or the Police Force. So the rioters are mostly just trashing inanimate objects that can't fight back (cars, buildings, etc) - which achieves nothing but bitter resentment from the owners of those objects (shop-keepers, etc).

by Anonymousreply 104May 31, 2020 2:29 AM

Has AOC commented yet on the environmental harm from setting police cars on fire? That is one tone-deaf bitch.

by Anonymousreply 105May 31, 2020 2:44 AM

People are "rioting" the police are attacking them with bullets and tear gas and people are fighting back. This entire thing started because police officers have always believed they can brutalize and murder anyone they want.

In this videos you see cops assault a group of journalist who were doing NOTHING. No looting, no destruction, just walking around. And they shot her in the face with a rubber bullet.

She has now lost that eye. She will only have one eye for the rest of her life. These people are out of control and we need to stand up to them or they'll always do it.

And they have ALWAYS been violent fascists. All that has changed is now that we have camera phones, white people believe us when we tell them what they do

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106May 31, 2020 2:47 AM

This is why there is violence. The police think they will beat us back into submission and it's not going to happen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107May 31, 2020 2:52 AM

[quote]Part of me says the riots and protests are overdue.

I'm not condoning violence and destruction. But that's the problem, Americans should have taken the streets three years ago. And should constantly in the streets until someone listens. And this goes even further than issues of race. When the black people are brown people aren't in the streets, Gays should be out there, women should be out there.

by Anonymousreply 108May 31, 2020 3:14 AM

[quote] But that's the problem, Americans should have taken the streets three years ago

People were out in the streets right after the Trump election, for the Women's Marches. Those were some of the largest protests this country has ever seen. They easily eclipsed Trump's paltry inauguration crowd.

by Anonymousreply 109May 31, 2020 3:17 AM

Police are also targeting reporters and film crews. I've seen several instances of Twitter where the police have told reporters to "move on", fired rubber bullets, knocked away cameras with batons, and more. Can't help but think this part of Trump frequently calling the media crooked, enemies and so on.

by Anonymousreply 110May 31, 2020 4:00 AM

DC crazy right now!

by Anonymousreply 111May 31, 2020 4:01 AM

DC cops are letting them destroy stores right across from the White House. Protestors are trashing a building at the 800 address. Cops aren't doing anything. Just guarding the White House...so far

by Anonymousreply 112May 31, 2020 4:05 AM

[quote] DC cops are letting them destroy stores right across from the White House. Protestors are trashing a building at the 800 address. Cops aren't doing anything.

R112, ok, what should the DC cops do? Spray the store-looters with rubber bullets? And then be condemned for "more police brutality" in the current heated atmosphere, like in other states? The police are damned if the do, and damned if they don't - so they might as well "not do anything".

by Anonymousreply 113May 31, 2020 4:22 AM

They are firing tear gas in DC now. CNN and MSNBC stopped coverage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114May 31, 2020 4:26 AM

[quote] 12:00 a.m. -- WUSA9 Reporter Matt Gregory and Photographer James Hash were tear-gassed on Live TV while reporting at the scene of the protest.

by Anonymousreply 115May 31, 2020 4:40 AM

This is not business as usual. It’s scaled up to a level that will get attention. People finally rebel when they are oppressed too much for too long.

by Anonymousreply 116May 31, 2020 4:57 AM

These are great for trump. He can play the law and order card to the white people in the suburbs.

by Anonymousreply 117May 31, 2020 4:59 AM

Last footage of DC - Protestors tearing down traffic lights.

by Anonymousreply 118May 31, 2020 5:36 AM

What is on fire in DC? Someone said Hay-Adam Hotel.

by Anonymousreply 119May 31, 2020 5:55 AM

Trump can't play the law & order card because he's encouraged violence himself but then hasn't shown any actual leadership.

The law & order play once riots start requires the president to make a big blustery order and then an immediate show of force, like Nixon and Kent State or LBJ and the National Guard. All Trump did was tweet an old quote, not even his own words. That's not going to satisfy anyone but his current base. He won't convert anyone.

by Anonymousreply 120May 31, 2020 6:00 AM

Trump told the cops they were too gentle and to be more violent. There you go.

by Anonymousreply 121May 31, 2020 6:28 AM

Things are really shitty for a lot of people. It’s worse for blacks who have to worry about being killed for nothing but I think a lot of poor young people of all races are joining in because they feel hopeless. For a lot of people it doesn’t seem like there’s any way for things to get better. You can work your ass off and not even be able to afford a place to live. Blatant greed and terrible behaviour are rewarded and it doesn’t seem like there’s any justice.

by Anonymousreply 122May 31, 2020 6:36 AM

Exactly r117. Anyone who thinks otherwise is sorely deluded and will be very surprised when this exact thing happens.

by Anonymousreply 123May 31, 2020 6:41 AM

[quote]It’s time for new leaders with new ideas.

Oh fuck. That's what got us into this mess.

by Anonymousreply 124May 31, 2020 7:35 AM

For the last three years old white men on this website this website have done nothing but talk about how everything any minority does that they don't like "helps Trump". All this while his approval has never ever risen above 45% and he's down 10 points nationally to Joe Biden, the democrat he most feared facing.

I don't think all of you saying that are racist but maybe admit you're full of shit and don't know what your talking about? Saying something "helps Trump" even when all evidence points to the contrary is not going to force minorities to behave the way you think they should. It's condescending as fuck

by Anonymousreply 125May 31, 2020 11:03 AM

“Old white men” know something you apparently do not, r125, which is American history.

In the past, riots and protests have been weaponized by Republicans. “All evidence” that points to the contrary precedes the George Floyd protests. This situation could turn out otherwise, but the best predictor of the future is the past. Trump is already campaigning on this.

by Anonymousreply 126May 31, 2020 11:14 AM

[quote] “All evidence” that points to the contrary precedes the George Floyd protests.

People on this site said the exact same thing about the caravan, the kneeling protests, trans rights, etc. Again and again it has been this identical line, that the Dems, especially minorities have now gone too far and THIS time the blow back will begin and help Trump. It hasn't been right one time yet.

I said old, white men not to be derogatory. But because that is Trump's strongest demographic by far. Statistically speaking, most of you here would be fans of his were you not born gay like me and gotten to see this country for how shitty it can be to it's citizens first hand.

Still, you should consider Trump's cultural reactionary bullshit and "law and order" seems more obviously appealing to you far more than all other demographics who just don't react the same way. That has been born out by polling. Most people in this country are sick of him.

And again, before I'm accused. With very few troll exceptions I don't think the users of the website are racist. I know you don't actually support Trump. But just because something makes you uncomfortable doesn't mean that's how the electorate, which is much younger, less white, and MUCH more female than this site will see it.

by Anonymousreply 127May 31, 2020 11:31 AM

Fiddling while Rome burns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128May 31, 2020 12:07 PM

I support the police and denounce the criminal looters, they have no place in civil protests. These looters are the same ones demanding govt help for food and rent subsidies and don't want to work at jobs that pay minimum wage. They want to start out as Managers or Directors because they know everything and have all the answers. Destroying property and businesses is plain evil.

by Anonymousreply 129May 31, 2020 12:19 PM

R129 do you support this? Do any of you support all this unporovoked violence

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130May 31, 2020 12:24 PM

Supporting any kind of American police force is supporting fascism. Civilized law enforcement cultures do not behave this way.

by Anonymousreply 131May 31, 2020 12:27 PM

[quote]I support the police and denounce the criminal looters,

You can denounce the looters, but there’s no justifiable reason to support the police who are beyond corrupt, evil, and unaccountable for their criminal actions.

by Anonymousreply 132May 31, 2020 12:34 PM

Another journalist shot. They aimed at his face again.

A domestic military force is obeying Trump's order to fight "fake news". They're terrorising and beating black people just like Trump has wants. Why would anyone defend them right now?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133May 31, 2020 12:52 PM

[quote]I support the police and denounce the criminal looters... Destroying property and businesses is plain evil.

It's okay to murder a suspect for no reason but if you steal a fake cheesecake, THAT'S evil.

by Anonymousreply 134May 31, 2020 12:56 PM

When Omar Vasquez was arrested a trooper said he was just following orders. Since then police departments in multiple cities have targeted journalists. I think we know whose orders they are operating under now.

by Anonymousreply 135May 31, 2020 12:57 PM

FWIW, the protests in NJ yesterday (in Newark & Camden) were comparatively peaceful.

In fact in Camden according to the article, "Police Chief Joseph D. Wysocki walked side-by-side with demonstrators."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136May 31, 2020 1:02 PM

I've got an idea: don't hire anymore white officers for public facing duties. (At this point I'd suggest they don't hire any more white men at all but I don't think you could get away with that.) If they want to do the administrative and behind the scenes roles, ok, I guess, but the men and women in the field should represent the rest of the country, not the white parts.

by Anonymousreply 137May 31, 2020 1:14 PM

There have been other good police tonight as well. And where they did things like this instead of assault there was no rioting. Would you look at that!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138May 31, 2020 1:14 PM

There were many peaceful gatherings in LA yesterday.

The media preferred to focus on the Grove.

by Anonymousreply 139May 31, 2020 2:08 PM

R129. Never would I support unprovoked violence. I condemn the rioters and looters, the ones who only care about stealing for themselves. The looters are THUGS and have no place in a civilized society.

I support civil protesters who carry on in peace.

by Anonymousreply 140May 31, 2020 2:13 PM

R137, I've bern been treated like shit by black and latino NYPD. Go fuck yourself you racist dumb ass.

by Anonymousreply 141May 31, 2020 2:35 PM

I find the more of a white, liberal bubble someone lives in, the more OUTRAGED! and Woke they pretend to be. They have no clue how many of us live, which is often in diverse environments where we all, for the most part, get along and get things done. They are so fucking tedious.

by Anonymousreply 142May 31, 2020 2:38 PM

[quote]The looters are THUGS and have no place in a civilized society.

So are the police.

by Anonymousreply 143May 31, 2020 2:40 PM

They were marching down 7th Avenue near 14th Street in Chelsea last night. Almost 100% Antifa types who were setting fire to wastebaskets, etc. If people hadn't put out the fires, they could have spread and burned stores and buildings. Not sure what that has to do with police brutality and racism. The police were trying to prevent escalation but it didn't look heavy handed from what I saw.

by Anonymousreply 144May 31, 2020 2:47 PM

I love the way some of you deify the police. The police force is made up of all the fuck ups in your grade. They were the bullies and the disrupters, and when they graduated they didn't have any real prospects so they opted for the military, construction, or the police of fire department.

I know all of you have fantasies of being worked over by these cops and their big night sticks, but the truth is many of them are the dregs of humanity and very little separates the police from the thugs they are supposed to protect us from. Don't get me wrong, there are some good cops who do good work, but the truth is many are biased, racist, and homophobic and work with two sets of rules depending on who you are.

I get so tired of saluting the police officers and the military because they are making sacrifices. Maybe if they would have paid attention in class, they wouldn't have ended up in careers of last resort.

by Anonymousreply 145May 31, 2020 2:55 PM

[quote]The police were trying to prevent escalation but it didn't look heavy handed from what I saw.

Oh yeah, the way to diffuse it is to run over people or pepper spray a member of Congress.

Or going out undercover and smashing windows.

by Anonymousreply 146May 31, 2020 2:56 PM

R146: Or shoot gas and rubber bullets at peaceful journalists walking away!

by Anonymousreply 147May 31, 2020 3:00 PM

The police started all the violence. Everything is peaceful until they start agitating shit. They love it. They live for this shit.

This entire situation is so sad. There’s so much pain in our country. And these looting thugs are just helping Trump out for November.

Not to mention thousands of these people will be dead in 3 weeks because of Coronavirus.

Maybe it really is the end of the world.

by Anonymousreply 148May 31, 2020 3:03 PM

Or shooting at people standing on their front porch! Thank goodness the police were there to deescalate that

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149May 31, 2020 3:05 PM

The sheriff of Genesee County, MI peacefully marching with protestors.

THIS is deescalation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150May 31, 2020 3:12 PM

The police are also using this as an excuse to take out their aggressions. They hate these people. The police know exactly what they’re doing. Cops are the biggest group of whiny perpetual victims. I’m tired of hearing people say “most cops are good cops”. No. They’re not. And they never will be.

by Anonymousreply 151May 31, 2020 3:13 PM

There was a thing circulating on social media that said "If you have 10 bad cops and a 1000 good cops protecting them, you have 1010 bad cops."

That's so true.

by Anonymousreply 152May 31, 2020 3:16 PM

Biden really needs to step it up. He should be on every Sunday show urging peace and calm and trying to comfort the country. His easiest path to winning is to be seen by people as a calming influence and as a means to the end of the craziness of the Trump era.

He’s dropping the ball.

by Anonymousreply 153May 31, 2020 3:21 PM

Is anyone thinking about the COVID risk? All these people out in the streets shouting, standing close to each other. The transmission rate will be high. Some of those protestors and rioters will be sick in 2 weeks and some will die. So much for flattening the curve.

by Anonymousreply 154May 31, 2020 3:22 PM

People have been gathering at the embassies in both London and Berlin chanting "Black Lives Matter."

We're at a point where other countries are protesting for us. Think about that.

by Anonymousreply 155May 31, 2020 3:24 PM

The not so thin blue line.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156May 31, 2020 3:27 PM

R153 is CONCERNED!

by Anonymousreply 157May 31, 2020 3:27 PM

Two weeks ago trump was DOA for November. These riots have given his campaign new life. People underestimate how appalled people are by the behavior of the looters who are being painted as radical leftists. Trump will run on law and order and he will win. The white people in the suburbs who have fled to dems in the past few years are going to have second thoughts now. Of course things can change but I don’t have a good feeling. The country is so screwed.

by Anonymousreply 158May 31, 2020 3:27 PM

Meh, in a few weeks this story will be old news and the virus will be back front and center imo. People forget how fast news cycles are, especially with Trump. He will do a million stupid things between now and November. The LA riots didn’t hurt Bill Clinton.

by Anonymousreply 159May 31, 2020 3:29 PM

Clinton wasn't the incumbent.

by Anonymousreply 160May 31, 2020 3:30 PM

R159 I think you're underestimating how turned off people will be by videos like R130. Those are not criminals or even just black people the police are brutalizing. It's anyone they can get their hands on. I don't know how anyone can look it that and not think it could happen to them just as easily. The police are completely out of control

by Anonymousreply 161May 31, 2020 3:34 PM

And Trump has called for more violence several times

by Anonymousreply 162May 31, 2020 3:36 PM

Smart people know Trump will only make things worse, like better. You can't convince stupid.

by Anonymousreply 163May 31, 2020 3:39 PM

Smart outvoted stupid by a huge margin in 2018

by Anonymousreply 164May 31, 2020 3:40 PM

The media plays a huge role in this as well. There were hundreds of peaceful protests yesterday. Here in CT the Hartford rally had zero arrests. But that’s not exciting so they don’t want to focus on that. They want to show the burning buildings and the national guard storm troopers marching down the street, even though that is a relatively small picture of what is going on.

by Anonymousreply 165May 31, 2020 3:40 PM

People aren't working. They are ready to rise up.

by Anonymousreply 166May 31, 2020 4:05 PM

[quote][R137], I've bern been treated like shit by black and latino NYPD. Go fuck yourself you racist dumb ass.

Any clues in your post that might explain part of why?

by Anonymousreply 167May 31, 2020 4:09 PM

[quote] People have been gathering at the embassies in both London and Berlin chanting "Black Lives Matter." We're at a point where other countries are protesting for us. Think about that.

It's ironic that Berlin is protesting against a US embassy, given that Deutsche Welle JUST ran a story last month about a surprising "rise of racism in Germany" itself. But I guess chanting protest slogans at U.S. embassies will somehow solve that problem...

[quote] DW, April 25, 2020: "Racial discrimination has been rising in Germany. The absolute numbers of reported racist incidents have increased, and they are growing faster than other forms of discrimination, according to the country's Federal Anti-Discrimination Agency. There were nearly 20% more racist attacks in 2018 than in 2017, based on official crime statistics. However, the data that would allow the anti-discrimination agency to see just how racism affects specific groups of people is missing. Germany doesn't collect information on race and ethnicity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168May 31, 2020 4:25 PM

The police reveled in violence for hours last night. They pulled off people's PPE just to pepperspray them.

If you support the police right now, it's not because you law and order. Just be honest about that.

by Anonymousreply 169May 31, 2020 4:27 PM

The police will get criticized no matter what they do. Obviously anarchy isn’t working well either.

by Anonymousreply 170May 31, 2020 4:34 PM

Most of this has to do with the massive unemployment and the anxiety over the future.

by Anonymousreply 171May 31, 2020 4:37 PM

[quote] Smart people know Trump will only make things worse, like better. You can't convince stupid.

Did this make sense in the original Esperanto from which it was translated?

by Anonymousreply 172May 31, 2020 4:39 PM

Dr. Fauci must have had a heart attack when he saw the pictures of how big the crowds were yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 173May 31, 2020 4:47 PM

If at least 14% (or more) of white Americans are racists who support police brutality, then there are actually more of them than the ENTIRE population of black people. That’s why it’s only gotten worse after each cluster of race riots in this country. Numbers.

by Anonymousreply 174May 31, 2020 4:53 PM

[quote]That’s why it’s only gotten worse after each cluster of race riots in this country.

These aren't race riots. Race riots don't have white people smashing windows at Target.

Race riots are white people burning Tulsa's Black Wall Street to the ground.

by Anonymousreply 175May 31, 2020 4:56 PM

Oops I mean 14% of ALL americans. The black population itself is around 14% I think.

by Anonymousreply 176May 31, 2020 4:57 PM

R175 Good point... the cop’s knee pressing down on Floyd’s neck works as a metaphor of the 1% squeezing down on us all, so this is morphing into something bigger.

by Anonymousreply 177May 31, 2020 5:02 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178May 31, 2020 5:30 PM

Trump has egged the violence on, he’s encouraged the police to rough people up, and everyone knows he’s a racist. This chaos doesn’t help him. It’s happening because of him.

by Anonymousreply 179May 31, 2020 5:34 PM

[quote] I love the way some of you deify the police. The police force is made up of all the fuck ups in your grade. They were the bullies and the disrupters, and when they graduated they didn't have any real prospects so they opted for the military, construction, or the police of fire department.

Well, why would (most) 4.0 GPA graduates want to become cops, R145? It's often a thankless blue-collar job where you often have to deal directly with, and confront, other dregs of society like rowdy drunks, thieves, domestic abusers and addicts (I'm not talking about the protests, but in general). And not just deal with them - but physically engage with them sometimes. Sure, the benefits & pension can be cushy - but it's still often like a nightclub bouncer's job.

Apart from maybe top police chiefs, most police officers will never get rich from police work either. Capitalist society does not motivate most top high school graduates to become cops - they can make better money as software engineers or plastic surgeons. And top graduates are usually smart enough to steer clear of jobs where their own health & safety is a coin toss.

by Anonymousreply 180May 31, 2020 5:35 PM

[quote]Apart from maybe top police chiefs, most police officers will never get rich from police work either.

Many of them retire after their pensions fully vest and get second careers. And there was a whole thing after 9/11 where a bunch of overtime was found so that those close to retirement would maximize the amount they'd get paid out.

by Anonymousreply 181May 31, 2020 5:39 PM

You are excusing a police dictatorship R180? because that's one of the memes of what capitalist society really is according the Marxist-Lenninist doctrine.

by Anonymousreply 182May 31, 2020 6:18 PM

These protests are a repudiation of all politicians, not just Trump. Them not being on your side doesn't make them alt right. These protestors have only one thing in common. They want to tear everything down.

by Anonymousreply 183May 31, 2020 7:01 PM

Just read this article about the violence in our county's largest town last night. Some background. Since an officer killed a youth seven years ago, a 13 yr old shot by a deputy carrying a toy AK-47, the Sheriff's Office has made a concerted effort to retrain police and improve police/community relations. Overall they've done a good job but when something fishy does happen (and sometimes it does) it's immediately addressed and investigated.

The thing that got me about this article is that a popular restaurant was badly damaged (broken windows) in the melee, but the owner, an immigrant, was alerted early, got there and cleaned up so he could serve take-out brunch in time for his Sunday customers.

From the article:

"A group of demonstrators threw rocks through several windows and tried to break open the front door of Cafe Mimosa at corner of Mendocino and College avenues, said business owner Yazen Atallah. He opened the remodeled site of Adel’s Restaurant in January, only to run almost immediately into the coronavirus pandemic, and he estimated upwards of $20,000 in damage was done Sunday.

He expressed understanding for the protesters, who didn’t appear to be looting but rather acting out of unrest.

“I forgive whoever did it,” Atallah said, “because I understand the frustration in what’s going on today. But it’s not the answer — violence is not the answer, ruining a business is not the answer.”"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184May 31, 2020 7:42 PM

Then there's the white guy caught on camera caught breaking windows not looting that people think is from alt right out to start trouble. Many people are saying he's off duty cop setting up the protesters. Very suspicious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185May 31, 2020 8:10 PM

One of my friends works at a regional NAACP office. I asked him about how our local police force fared in terms of complaints about racial profiling, abuse, etc. He surprised me by saying that they had zero complaints. The reason? Our city's police department actively (and successfully) recruits people of color, and conducts ongoing trainings about how to de-escalate situations. When the police look like the people they are supposed to protect, things work better. When officers are specifically trained to be peace officers, not a military unit, they respond better. That's not to say our local force is perfect, but it does show that things don't have to be as bad as they are.

by Anonymousreply 186May 31, 2020 8:36 PM

I have sex with 2 NYPD officers in my time, both super hot and very receptive to a good oral expert. I worry about the men in blue right now.

by Anonymousreply 187May 31, 2020 9:36 PM

R187 is just the worst of this place in a nutshell.

by Anonymousreply 188May 31, 2020 10:20 PM

It all comes down to one thing - Trump. He should step down now.

by Anonymousreply 189May 31, 2020 10:39 PM

But who will people blame when Trump is out of office?

by Anonymousreply 190May 31, 2020 10:51 PM

R4 gave himself away when he said "Democrat states." It's Democratic. Only Republicans refuse to use the adjective.

by Anonymousreply 191May 31, 2020 10:56 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192May 31, 2020 11:32 PM

[quote]History will not be kind to Donald Trump. I think we all know that. Not because it will be a written by never Trumpers, but because whenever we have departed from the values of our nation, we have come to regret it and that regret is written all over the pages of our history.

by Anonymousreply 193May 31, 2020 11:42 PM

R192, link doesn’t work.

by Anonymousreply 194May 31, 2020 11:44 PM

[quote] I have sex with 2 NYPD officers in my time, both super hot and very receptive to a good oral expert. I worry about the men in blue right now.

By which you mean you worry about who will be caring now for their blowjob satisfaction?

by Anonymousreply 195May 31, 2020 11:44 PM

[quote] But who will people blame when Trump is out of office?

I don’t know, Republicans are still blaming Obama.

by Anonymousreply 196May 31, 2020 11:45 PM

R165, unfortunately there has been much violence and destruction. It shouldn't be ignored.

by Anonymousreply 197May 31, 2020 11:46 PM

There's violence everywhere, I just saw a Heron come out of the lake and grab a chipmunk in my yard!

by Anonymousreply 198May 31, 2020 11:51 PM

R192, what are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 199May 31, 2020 11:52 PM

By your logic r132, all blacks are violent looters. See how that sounds?

by Anonymousreply 200June 1, 2020 12:01 AM

NYT: Live George Floyd Protest Updates and Video

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201June 1, 2020 12:49 AM

How will this cop get a fair trial. This will be a real issue going forward.

by Anonymousreply 202June 1, 2020 12:51 AM

NYC: Downtown Brooklyn - Brooklyn Bridge - Union Square. Larger crowd than last night.

Atlanta looks like a war zone with a ton of National Guard troops lining the streets.

by Anonymousreply 203June 1, 2020 12:53 AM

[quote]How will this cop get a fair trial. This will be a real issue going forward.

Don't kid yourself. A jury is going to acquit him.

That said, they are having Keith Ellison, former Congressman and current MN AG, direct the prosecution, not the Hennepin County DA.

by Anonymousreply 204June 1, 2020 1:01 AM

[quote]How will this cop get a fair trial. This will be a real issue going forward.

Someone might kill him first.

by Anonymousreply 205June 1, 2020 1:05 AM

[quote]That said, they are having Keith Ellison, former Congressman and current MN AG, direct the prosecution, not the Hennepin County DA.

Is this wise? I mean, when is the last time Ellison has prosecuted an actual case? He’s been a Congressman for the past 13 years.

by Anonymousreply 206June 1, 2020 1:08 AM

Boston protestors now at the state house.

by Anonymousreply 207June 1, 2020 2:08 AM

There is no social distancing and a lot of yelling without masks. Just cause, but awful timing. Unfortunately, there is going to be a huge surge of Covid-19 cases in the next the weeks!

by Anonymousreply 208June 1, 2020 2:12 AM

R203 I don't get Atlanta. I thought it was supposed to be exemplary as to black success and integration, power sharing, equity and all that. What are they so mad about to tear it down so?

by Anonymousreply 209June 1, 2020 2:14 AM

DC is crazy now. Starting fires near the white house. Where is Trump?

by Anonymousreply 210June 1, 2020 2:32 AM

r210 Probably in the underground bunker of the WH.

by Anonymousreply 211June 1, 2020 2:33 AM

Lafayette Park, literally right outside the White House, is now on fire. They’re coming for you, Trump. 🔥

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212June 1, 2020 2:33 AM

Park Police moving in now. Pushing protestors back as they tried to approach the White House.

by Anonymousreply 213June 1, 2020 2:57 AM

Secret Service are in place on the roof of the White House.

by Anonymousreply 214June 1, 2020 3:03 AM

Ugh, protecting that piece of shit Trump. They do their job too well for him.

by Anonymousreply 215June 1, 2020 3:05 AM

[quote]What are they so mad about to tear it down so?

They can't get thier parking validated, Rose!

by Anonymousreply 216June 1, 2020 3:07 AM

"Shit!" - Garrett Haake of MSNBC.

by Anonymousreply 217June 1, 2020 3:10 AM

Currently watching live helicopter footage in Denver on 9news. Line of cops blocking Colfax outside the Filmore, and a dumpsters is in the middle of Colfax on fire. Large group of protestors approaching from the East, they are right outside of Charlie's now (country western gay bar)

The protestors have stopped, and the cops are staying still, and the helicopter is circling.

Firefighters putting out the dumpster fire

by Anonymousreply 218June 1, 2020 3:15 AM

R217 - What happened?!

by Anonymousreply 219June 1, 2020 3:15 AM

Garrett is great here , compelling and smart. Plus he has a forearm tattoo.

Morgan Chesky looks good in his shiny black shirt, but he's no Garrett.

by Anonymousreply 220June 1, 2020 3:17 AM

Garrett Haake got hit by something, probably a rubber bullet

by Anonymousreply 221June 1, 2020 3:17 AM

OK - there he is. Whew. R217 scared me.

by Anonymousreply 222June 1, 2020 3:18 AM

Thanks R221

by Anonymousreply 223June 1, 2020 3:18 AM

Protestors were kneeling on Colfax or standing with their hands in the air. Cops just shot tear gas at them. R218

by Anonymousreply 224June 1, 2020 3:19 AM

Katy Tur: "Garrett, you've got to get out of the way. I know your parents."

by Anonymousreply 225June 1, 2020 3:19 AM

I just came from the protests in Boston. They were 100% peaceful until cops drove into the crowd. No one touched a cop car before that

by Anonymousreply 226June 1, 2020 3:36 AM

[quote] Someone might kill him first.

Like George Zimmerman?

This guy will get a Fox News gig.

by Anonymousreply 227June 1, 2020 3:38 AM

Garrett looks gray now.

by Anonymousreply 228June 1, 2020 3:38 AM

I'm not surprised with the police deliberately targeting journalists with violence

by Anonymousreply 229June 1, 2020 3:39 AM

Somebody protect my boo, Vaughn Hillyard!

by Anonymousreply 230June 1, 2020 4:00 AM

The prosecutor already set the stage for acquittal with the 3rd degree murder charge; at most, Chauvin will serve a light sentence like any other cop who kills a black citizen. The protestors will stop when they have to go back to work, or will lose interest when they realize they are no match against law enforcement and the National Guard. Guess what? We will be having the same goddamn conversation 10 years from now!

by Anonymousreply 231June 1, 2020 4:15 AM

Hottie Garrett describing what was done to him

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232June 1, 2020 5:33 AM

Protesters go back to work lmfao. What, their normal criminal activity you mean?

by Anonymousreply 233June 1, 2020 6:31 AM

[quote]I don't get Atlanta. I thought it was supposed to be exemplary as to black success and integration, power sharing, equity and all that. What are they so mad about to tear it down so?

Police Chief Erika Shields said during a press conference that the majority of people were fine, but there were a group of people that started causing a disruption and those people filtered throughout the crowd so it made it harder for them to pick them out.

Apparently Sunday saw 64 arrests but no major incidents.

And they've also fired two police officers for excessive force thanks to complaints and their body cam footage which they reviewed.

She also one of the very few police chiefs that entered the crowd to talk to protesters like a normal person would talk to anyone.

by Anonymousreply 234June 1, 2020 6:33 AM

R233 Yes. I know protesters who held clerical jobs, did freelance tech work, and ran small businesses prior to the safer-at-home order. They have nothing better to do right now than virtue-signaling. Perhaps you are confusing the looters and protesters?

by Anonymousreply 235June 1, 2020 9:34 AM

We're currently under curfew (Ohio) and I don't know if I'm supposed to go to work, but I'm scared.

by Anonymousreply 236June 1, 2020 10:40 AM

[quote] they are right outside of Charlie's now (country western gay bar) The protestors have stopped,

Well I would too. Let’s have a drink, boys, and do some hootin’ and hollerin’.

by Anonymousreply 237June 1, 2020 12:47 PM

In Boston, a random dude I don't think was police tried to run over a group of protestors right in front of me. Cops did nothing. They literally tuend and walked away. Then the protestors started attacking the guys car and no less than 30 cops swarmed them. They said they were deploying tear gas and I got the hell out

This was a different incident from the cop cruiser than drove through the protest crowd and kicked off all the chaos

by Anonymousreply 238June 1, 2020 1:13 PM

One of the things that I think is encouraging is that the media seems to be resistant to both-sides this too much. I don't harbor any illusions that it's for a reason other than the fact that so many journalists have been targeted (either Cincinnati or Cleveland was forbidding press into protest areas last night, in a flagrant violation of the 1st Amendment), but they're doing an okay job.

And, while I don't feel like they need to be wading in, seeing so many corporations making statements in support of the (peaceful) protestors is also good. Viacom announced that all of their media is going to be shut down later today for the length of time Chauvin was on George Floyd's neck.

by Anonymousreply 239June 1, 2020 2:06 PM

[quote] 2020 started out like 1974, then switched to some horrible combination of 1918 and 1929. Now: 1968. Ugh.

-- Add 1930 in there too.

by Anonymousreply 240June 1, 2020 2:19 PM

R239 I completely agree. If the media was not being targeted itself, attacked with rubber bullets and batons, they would talk way more positively about the police on TV through this like they always do. Even as they watched them brutalize other people.

But now it's happening to people like Garrett Haake and Ali Veshi. All the major outlets are openly displaying the excessive examples of police violence.

by Anonymousreply 241June 1, 2020 3:31 PM

WINNING!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242June 1, 2020 3:45 PM

[quote] But now it's happening to people like Garrett Haake and Ali Veshi.

Are either of these guys hot?

If not, DL don’t care.

by Anonymousreply 243June 1, 2020 3:48 PM

I personally find Garrett hot r243. He's very tall too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244June 1, 2020 3:54 PM

Haake very hot and Velshi is likeable.

by Anonymousreply 245June 1, 2020 3:58 PM

And the thing is, fascist cops in the past were usually too smart to rough up the media. They understood the importance of good PR even when you do despicable things. They're shooting and beating reporters now because Trump has encouraged them to do it at every opportunity.

Another group of people sowing the seeds of their own ruin by following Trump's advice.

by Anonymousreply 246June 1, 2020 4:04 PM

He's the opposite of a leader. I really can't understand the mindset of the people who believe him. He's tweeted FAKE NEWS several times on Twitter. What kind of leadership is that? Craven asshole.

by Anonymousreply 247June 1, 2020 4:11 PM

This is just developing: Trump held a call this morning was state governors and told them they needed to “dominate” the protesters and lock them up “for long periods of time” or they would look like “jerks.” Yeah, it’s just as well he’s hiding in the bunker. Don’t let him on TV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248June 1, 2020 4:15 PM

^^yeah, that would help the situation. Not

by Anonymousreply 249June 1, 2020 4:17 PM

The coward has the nerve to say all this while he hides in a bunker. What a pathetic "man"

by Anonymousreply 250June 1, 2020 4:17 PM

A bad player group is putting a pile of bricks at the protest sites so that people can use them tonight!

by Anonymousreply 251June 1, 2020 5:07 PM

Trump calls governors ‘weak,’ urges them to use force against unruly protests

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252June 1, 2020 5:26 PM

L.A.: 'Where are the cops?' Uncontrolled looting puts police on the hot seat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253June 1, 2020 5:47 PM

The people saying this would help Trump really don't look very prescient right now. The country is burning and he's on the phone having a tantrum at governors

by Anonymousreply 254June 1, 2020 6:04 PM

Even the Secret Service is pushing back on his bullshit, however slightly.

This is my favorite part of the article:

[quote]Quoting an unnamed person, who may or may not exist, the president added, "We put the young ones on the front line, sir, they love it, and good practice."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255June 1, 2020 6:13 PM

When Garrett Haake is in studio wearing a suit and tie, he's just another boring talking head. But put him in the field with rolled up sleeves and a mask while he jumps around dodging rubber bullets, and you've got yourself some great television. Take note, MSNBC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256June 1, 2020 6:15 PM

Trump has his knee on the neck of our nation. What the Minneapolis officer did to George Floyd, trump is doing to America. Squeezing the life out of us. He will not improve the lives of Black Americans, he will destroy the lives of Americans who do not kiss his ass. The media, impartial watchdogs, Democrats, liberals, free-thinkers, creatives, LGBT, women, whites and people of color, everyone who isn't on board with his lies and corruption. He and his cohorts are continuing to hurriedly stack the courts with partisan right wing judges.

I'm surprised the riots aren't worse and transitioning to target trump. Millions out of work, some who will not easily find employment if we ever get back to "normal." Don't forget his words, ""When you see these thugs being thrown into the back of a paddy wagon, you just seen them thrown in, rough. I said, ‘Please don’t be too nice,’""

Trump glories in not being "nice." He is an abuser. Time to take action and oust him or we are forever lost.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257June 1, 2020 6:40 PM

Reuters: U.S. government to send additional help for responding to violent protests -White House

President Donald Trump had two briefings on Monday, with Defense Secretary Mark Esper and Attorney General William Barr "and there will be additional federal assets deployed across the nation," Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany said at a briefing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258June 1, 2020 7:33 PM

It’ll be Kent State all over again.

SMH.

by Anonymousreply 259June 1, 2020 7:35 PM

[quote] The people saying this would help Trump really don't look very prescient right now. The country is burning and he's on the phone having a tantrum at governors

And his base love that “tough talk.” He’s calling themselves weak and demanding they dominate. His deplorables love that kind of shit.

Look at the stay at home protests as an example.

by Anonymousreply 260June 1, 2020 7:37 PM

AP:

Attorney says family-commissioned autopsy shows George Floyd died of ‘asphyxia due to neck and back compression’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261June 1, 2020 7:37 PM

R260 Trump's base is not nearly enough to win the election, it's at best 40% of voters and probably not quite that high.

Everyone else is more disgusted with Trump now than they have been since Charlottesville

by Anonymousreply 262June 1, 2020 7:40 PM

Never underestimate your enemy.

by Anonymousreply 263June 1, 2020 7:44 PM

[quote] Never underestimate your enemy.

Right. I think he should be at Chris Christie's level of popularity when he left the governor's office - 15%. Hell, I would feel okay if Trump were at 35%. But even after the worst Presidential performance in recent history, and he's at 40% to 45%. That's unbelievable and within striking distance of the White House if a few things turn around a bit for him. He's got 5 months.

by Anonymousreply 264June 1, 2020 7:53 PM

If it makes you feel better r264, the only polling we have so far that includes this past weekend has Trump at 37 against Biden

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265June 1, 2020 7:56 PM

Looks like someone’s bone spurs are flaring up!

by Anonymousreply 266June 1, 2020 8:38 PM

R261: So glad they got a second opinion because it was obvious that the first - fake autopsy result was bullshit!

by Anonymousreply 267June 1, 2020 10:10 PM

In DC, they’ve gone full 1968: Military Police in rows, National Guardsmen on horseback, without provocation, firing flash bangs at the crowd.

by Anonymousreply 268June 1, 2020 10:43 PM

On NATIONAL TV the military just started firing tear gas and riot round at protestors doing nothing but stand there. This is faacism

by Anonymousreply 269June 1, 2020 10:46 PM

Apparently they are clearing out the area near the WH with tear gas, in advance of Trump’s speech.

He’s on now, selling “law and order.”

by Anonymousreply 270June 1, 2020 10:47 PM

“One beautiful law, America is founded on the rule of law.” Not anymore!!

by Anonymousreply 271June 1, 2020 10:50 PM

Another poll taken *since the weekend protests* shows Biden over 50% and Trump below 40%

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272June 1, 2020 10:56 PM

Ya if you said this would help Trump, you were just wrong. By every objective measure this has hurt him badly and is still hurting him

by Anonymousreply 273June 1, 2020 10:56 PM

[quote]“One beautiful law...”

Meanwhile, Pence is thinking, “Yeah - the 25th Amendment!”

by Anonymousreply 274June 1, 2020 10:59 PM

r273, I'd wait for a week or two after people have had to digest what has been going on. It can go either way or stay the same.

by Anonymousreply 275June 1, 2020 11:03 PM

Exactly what is there to digest? The cops just started attacking peacful protestors unprovoked in front of the white house on CNN. You are either recoil at that instantly or don't. Americans are not going to put up with this as the new normal

by Anonymousreply 276June 1, 2020 11:05 PM

Time for a general strike.

by Anonymousreply 277June 1, 2020 11:10 PM

The Plutucratic Dictatorship has officially arrived.

Trump, for the purpose of a photo op, ordered law enforcement to forcefully remove Americans peacefully exercising their 1st Amendment rights to assemble.

by Anonymousreply 278June 1, 2020 11:17 PM

[quote] Americans are not going to put up with this as the new normal

But are they going to have a choice?

by Anonymousreply 279June 1, 2020 11:36 PM

R279: Yes

by Anonymousreply 280June 1, 2020 11:37 PM

The police aren't going to stop until they think all of us are back on our knees where we should be. Everyone needs to decide what side they're on. No more of this "oh the Floyd thing was bad but the protests are distasteful"

You all just saw him order police to attack protestors who did NOTHING but stand there. This was never about law and order. It's about a bunch of fascists asserting their dominance over us. The Trump said so himself.

by Anonymousreply 281June 1, 2020 11:57 PM

Trump just said he will send in the military if governors don't stop the violence and destruction.

by Anonymousreply 282June 2, 2020 12:36 AM

Mayor DeBlasio's daughter was arrested

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283June 2, 2020 1:39 AM

The police union disclosed her address and and all of her government issued IDs.

Think about that. To punish the mayor of New York City, who had JUST defended them for running over protestors, the NYPD exposed his daughter to danger. Is this what any of you want your country to be? You have to see the danger these socioptaths are to all of us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284June 2, 2020 1:46 AM

She sho' is UGLY

by Anonymousreply 285June 2, 2020 1:53 AM

R262 is vastly underestimating Trump's support, especially in the Rust Belt. People here are not looking positively on the looting and violence. Democrats are rightly being blamed. This just pushes a LOT of people into voting red. Disbelieve at your own peril.

by Anonymousreply 286June 2, 2020 2:07 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287June 2, 2020 2:07 AM

R286 you're a lying Trumper. You're not fooling anyone.

by Anonymousreply 288June 2, 2020 2:16 AM

Who's trying to fool anyone? I'm being honest. Sorry you can't handle it. R288

by Anonymousreply 289June 2, 2020 2:25 AM

5 polls have come out of Michigan in the last 2 weeks. Trump has been down between 4 and 10 points in all of them. Gretchen Whitmer has been more popular than him by at least 25 points in every last one. Not one of them had Michigan folks giving him a positive rating. Not one. You're full of shit.

You're just making shit up about him having Midwest support to prop up for pathetic cowardly orange God. He is hated on this country. And he will be done in November. And his bootlickers like you will have to crawl back into your holes

by Anonymousreply 290June 2, 2020 2:38 AM

Keep believing the polls. They were so right on in 2016. Every Trump supporter knew that then and was proven right. Same story, different year.

by Anonymousreply 291June 2, 2020 2:44 AM

I'm glad you at least admit you're a Trump supporter now instead of that "swing voter" nonsense. That fact that you have to lie about what you're beliefs are to even write your stupid post proves you know it's nonsense. You have to prop it up your ridiculous claim by pretending you're some relevant person instead of one of Trump's loyal cultists. No one gives a shit that you're still loyal to dear leader. You look pathetic trying to prop him up here

by Anonymousreply 292June 2, 2020 2:47 AM

So at what point will the rest of the world intervene? As a Canadian I’m scared for us if trump wins a second term.

by Anonymousreply 293June 2, 2020 3:18 AM

What can the rest of the world do?

by Anonymousreply 294June 2, 2020 3:21 AM

People around the world are trying to help in their own way. The Dallas police have an app where they asked people to send videos and information on protestors. K-pop fans flooded the app with videos until the police had to turn it off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295June 2, 2020 3:34 AM

I don’t know r294 but the thought of sharing a border with a dictatorship is terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 296June 2, 2020 3:35 AM

[quote]I support all good police, which is the very vast majority.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh, that's a good one!

by Anonymousreply 297June 2, 2020 3:39 AM

Around the country - People are not going home. Fuck curfew. They just showed tons of protestors still out in major cities right now. The more they try to stop protests, the more people will get angry and rebell.

by Anonymousreply 298June 2, 2020 4:20 AM

I know someone in law enforcement who said two protesters were brought in, and as with all arrests, their temperatures were taken. Both had fevers. They were cited and released.

Jails and prisons have has some of the worst COVID infection rates in the country. You have to wonder how many people out on the streets are carriers.

A couple of weeks will tell the tale if there are spikes after slow openings and mass gatherings.

by Anonymousreply 299June 2, 2020 5:21 AM

All they have to do is arrest the other officers. What's the fucking problem? Just do it and get it over with. And my god, Trump couldn't even pretend to give a shit? Write it and have him read it off a teleprompter. It's like everyone wants the country to implode.

by Anonymousreply 300June 2, 2020 5:37 AM

New poll on voter impressions of Trump's handling of the protests.

20% gave positive response. 54% gave a negative response.

Some shockers, -42 with independents, -29 with whites, -43 with suburban women, -16 with evangelical christians (!!)

Even among people who voted for Trump in 2016, only 43% say he has done a good or excellent job

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301June 2, 2020 2:20 PM

My stepmom, who goes to a fairly conservative church, and who was admittedly horrified by Trump going back before the election, has been posting BLM stuff on Facebook. I don't know if I should use her as a barometer, but she also wouldn't vote for Obama.

by Anonymousreply 302June 2, 2020 3:24 PM

Have any moderate Repubs spoken out yet? The only comments I've seen from any members of the GOP have been from the rabid Trumpers, eg Gaetz. And, just be mere coincidence, I saw on an earlier headline on Twitter that gun shops are reporting huge sales with the NRA being deliriously happy about it.

by Anonymousreply 303June 2, 2020 3:41 PM

All the elected moderates are cowards. They would rather this country burn to the ground than they risk Trump's wrath, and thus their re-election.

But where the fuck is Paul Ryan? He knows Trump is a piece of shit. He needs to call this out

by Anonymousreply 304June 2, 2020 3:43 PM

[quote]Have any moderate Repubs spoken out yet?

Mitt Romney put out a tepid statement, although your definition of "moderate" may not cover him. Charlie Baker, the governor of MA, was incredibly emotional when speaking about that conference call. Larry Hogan, the governor of MD, refused the request to send the MD National Guard into DC.

by Anonymousreply 305June 2, 2020 3:49 PM

Only Brian Kemp in GA and Tim Waltz in MN have accepted the request. Every other governor, even the GOP ones have turned it down. Pritzker in IL said he rejects the notion the president has legal authority to deploy the military anywhere in his state

by Anonymousreply 306June 2, 2020 3:50 PM

Ben Sasse, who could only be considered a moderate if he was standing next to Hitler, stated that what happened yesterday was wrong, and went so far as to call it a "political prop."

by Anonymousreply 307June 2, 2020 3:58 PM

Sasse's full statement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308June 2, 2020 4:05 PM

A prosecutor in GA is charging six cops for dragging college students out of their car and beating the shit out of them.

The rest of America is finally figuring out the cops are fascists, and they're beginning to take action

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309June 2, 2020 4:12 PM

The joint chiefs of staff and Mark Esper, the director of defense, are now saying they did not know Trump was going to order the protestors gassed. They thought they whole group was going to stay in the park instead of walking to the church.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310June 2, 2020 4:20 PM

You know, I think there might be something in the UCMJ about refusing unlawful orders...

by Anonymousreply 311June 2, 2020 4:24 PM

Yeah, that church stunt is going to backfire. Completely outrageous and indefensible for anyone with even the tiniest amount of empathy. You get the brown nosers like Scott walker who will praise it but word on the hill is that a lot of republicans want nothing to do with any of this. Moscow Mitch can see the senate slipping from his hands more and more every day.

by Anonymousreply 312June 2, 2020 4:26 PM

Trump has been trying to get the congressional GOP to boost his message that all protestors are antifa and thus it's okay to use any violence on them. But most of them aren't touching it. Yesterday Mitch McConnell gave a long speech about Floyd. He did not mention antifa or quelling the protests.

Only the gadflies like Matt Gaetz and Tom Cotton are backing Trump up here

by Anonymousreply 313June 2, 2020 4:39 PM

[quote]You get the brown nosers like Scott walker who will praise it but word on the hill is that a lot of republicans want nothing to do with any of this

Be nice if they either shat or got off the pot.

Anyone heard from FCI?

by Anonymousreply 314June 2, 2020 4:43 PM

GOP senators all saying they didn't see it or they have no comment

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315June 2, 2020 5:37 PM

Correction Ted Cruz just answered her. He said the only abuse of power was by the protestors

by Anonymousreply 316June 2, 2020 5:39 PM

Tha fuck? Did he really say that?

So shall we bet on if the 2nd wave of Covid 19 will be in about 2 weeks, instead of this fall?

by Anonymousreply 317June 2, 2020 5:42 PM

Yes r317 he really said it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318June 2, 2020 5:44 PM

I believe that will be a spike as opposed to the second wave.

by Anonymousreply 319June 2, 2020 5:44 PM

Another absurd answer from a senator. John Thune of South Dakota says he thinks it's always good for a president to spend more time at church.

by Anonymousreply 320June 2, 2020 6:12 PM

It's amazing to me that we see African Americans succeeding everywhere in sports, entertainment, academia, journalism as well as legal, medical and other experts in media. Like Kobe Bryant, many are well respected and even adored by the American public. I am a particular fan of columnists Eugene Robinson and Leonard Pitts. I even sent a fan email to Leonard Pitts once and got a friendly personal reply.

Why can't this respect and understanding be extended to everyday African Americans who are simply trying to survive in a very competitive society? Why still so much bigotry, resentment, harassment, and cop violence directed towards them?

Judging by what I see from knowing and observing successful black Americans if systemic racism ever ends Black American culture will blossom, flourish and thrive.

PBS just featured a special on American Masters about Sammy Davis Jr. So much talent, grace, and humanity in one small body. His hey day was 60 years ago and he paved the way for other black entertainers. Here we are, many years later with a president still playing the racist card.

by Anonymousreply 321June 2, 2020 6:12 PM

All Trump's stunt show and curfews did was make the protests even bigger today.

by Anonymousreply 322June 2, 2020 7:18 PM

I did the last Boston protest with a group of 4 friends. 5 more texted me asking for protest details last night after Trump's madness

by Anonymousreply 323June 2, 2020 7:35 PM

R321: That racism and hatred is extended toward rich and famous black Americans also. Sports and entertainment is one thing, but if black people rise too high on *their turf*, that is too much! Look at how they treated President Obama and his wife for no other reason than they are black.

As for Trump and his followers/enablers, they want the USA to regress for their own *white* power and gain.

by Anonymousreply 324June 2, 2020 7:42 PM

The the MN AG's office has charged the Minneapolis PD with a civil rights violation.

But still won't arrest the other 3 officers.

by Anonymousreply 325June 2, 2020 7:54 PM

R325: WTF is taking them so long? They will have to bring charges eventually. Why drag it out? Just stubborn stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 326June 2, 2020 7:57 PM

Agree r321 Americans seem to forget everything they owe to black culture. My opinion is a foreigner is that the most beautiful things about America are owed to black culture. My favourite city on earth New Orleans is such a beautiful unique place all because of the contributions of black culture.

by Anonymousreply 327June 2, 2020 8:33 PM

Barr personally ordered removal of protesters near White House, leading to use of force against largely peaceful crowd

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328June 2, 2020 8:35 PM

That is what Barr says. I am sure Trump demanded it.

by Anonymousreply 329June 2, 2020 8:38 PM

Wow. Protests are huge today! New York and Houston coverage on now.

by Anonymousreply 330June 2, 2020 8:51 PM

Add Los Angeles, DC, Boston. Glad most people are wearing masks.

by Anonymousreply 331June 2, 2020 11:02 PM

Trumps fascist pageant yesterday only made people bolder

by Anonymousreply 332June 2, 2020 11:04 PM

There was no pandemic and no protestors! They are setting up my president and he’ll still win November! Lick them snowflakes right up. Mmmmm mmmm

by Anonymousreply 333June 2, 2020 11:12 PM

[quote]leading to use of force against largely peaceful crowd

Stick a fork in us. We're done.

by Anonymousreply 334June 2, 2020 11:36 PM

33% approve of Trump's handling of the protests. 55% disapprove.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335June 2, 2020 11:51 PM

Protest Texas style

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336June 3, 2020 12:27 AM

It's kinda sad (that Floyd died) and all the police needed to do was take the men into custody as soon as the video surfaced and none of this would be happening yet.

But no.

This was the straw that broke the camel's back of years of black people being killed and nothing happening to their murderers, even when there's video of the entire incident from start to finish. From kids walking home being killed doing nothing, to incidents occurring while body cams were shut off mysteriously, to tapes going missing of footage of incidents, to people in their own homes being killed and then being blamed for their own deaths and nothing happening .... to this.

by Anonymousreply 337June 3, 2020 12:51 AM

r337, I think it was because it was right on the heels of the Arbery shooting that finally broke the straw.

by Anonymousreply 338June 3, 2020 1:04 AM

[quote] 700 members of the 82nd are at Joint Base Andrews and Fort Belvoir. 1,400 more soldiers are ready to be mobilized within an hour. Soldiers are armed and have riot gear. They also were issued bayonets- standard issue but some feel could be inflammatory

You think?! WTF

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339June 3, 2020 1:11 AM

If Trumps sends the troops out after US citizens he'll have to suspend/cancel the election otherwise his ass is toast at the polls.

by Anonymousreply 340June 3, 2020 1:46 AM

He doesn't have the authority to cancel the election. But even if he did, it wouldn't help him. Constitutionally his term and Pence's end next January. If another president hasn't been elected by then, the Speaker of the House becomes president until one is properly elected.

by Anonymousreply 341June 3, 2020 1:54 AM

[quote] If Trumps sends the troops out after US citizens he'll have to suspend/cancel the election otherwise his ass is toast at the polls.

Or not.

A strong majority of registered voters support using the National Guard to quell unrest in cities across the country, according to a new Morning Consult survey, while a slight majority support using active-duty military.

Just 18 percent of voters oppose calling in the National Guard to supplement city police forces, while 72 percent support the measure. That included 42 percent who “strongly” supported doing so. Another 58 percent supported calling on the United States military to assist, while just 30 percent opposed it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342June 3, 2020 1:59 AM

Secretary of Defense Mark Esper has now openly, on the record, disavowed Trump's fascist display and says he had no prior knowledge of what was going to happen and says was told they were just going to talk to the cops in the park.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343June 3, 2020 2:22 AM

Esper asked about Trump:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344June 3, 2020 2:29 AM

NYC - Police pushing/arresting people in Chelsea.

by Anonymousreply 345June 3, 2020 2:37 AM

I'm really happy about this after seeing the video of these assholes in Atlanta walk past several cars filled with white people,

go to a car with a black couple in it who were only driving through the area and didn't even attend the protest,

then try and force them to get out of the car before tasering them.

(Also if you were in a car you were exempted from curfew. They just went to eat.)

As someone else said it's not about black and white, it's about cops vs citizens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346June 3, 2020 4:46 AM

Now Defense Sec Mark Esper says he does not support invoking the insurrection act or deploying the military inside the United States.

Good chance Trump fires him for these two walk backs in 24 hours

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347June 3, 2020 2:11 PM

[quote]NYC - Police pushing/arresting people in Chelsea.

They also blocked off entrances to the subway an hour before the curfew so people couldn't get home.

And blocked off both ends of the Manhattan Bridge trapping people who were being 100% peaceful hoping to provoke something. Instead, a guy dressed as Spider-Man climbed a little ways up holding a BLM sign.

by Anonymousreply 348June 3, 2020 2:34 PM

There are what are very likely mercenaries on the streets of DC. Heavily armed, no identification of either individuals or a service branch, and they would only answer "Department of Justice" when asked who they worked for.

The DoJ has no police force like that.

by Anonymousreply 349June 3, 2020 2:44 PM

Is Jay Z selling t shirts yet?

by Anonymousreply 350June 3, 2020 2:45 PM

Spot on cartoon by Tom Toles from the Washington Post today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351June 3, 2020 3:16 PM

Esper on camera now distancing himself from Trump.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352June 3, 2020 3:19 PM

Defense officials tell AP that active-duty troops brought to DC area in response to protests are returning to home bases

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353June 3, 2020 5:47 PM

Over Half Disapprove Of Trump's Handling Of Protests: Poll | Morning Joe | MSNBC

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354June 3, 2020 6:04 PM

Good R353

by Anonymousreply 355June 3, 2020 6:09 PM

R349, yes, what is THAT about? Blackwater?

by Anonymousreply 356June 3, 2020 6:16 PM

Thank God:

They've upgrade the charges again Chauvin to Murder 2 and are finally charging the other three.

by Anonymousreply 357June 3, 2020 6:18 PM

I still feel this is many ways pretty pointless, since the rioters don't seem to have any clear goals.

However, as this continues to play out, it makes Trump seem worse and worse to undecided voters or voters who have supported Trump only weakly.

I am glad there has been less violence in many cities the last two nights.

by Anonymousreply 358June 3, 2020 6:23 PM

CNBC:

3 more cops charged in George Floyd death, other officer's murder charge upgraded, Sen. Klobuchar says

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359June 3, 2020 6:30 PM

[quote]3 more cops charged in George Floyd death, other officer's murder charge upgraded, Sen. Klobuchar says

Why is SHE announcing it?

by Anonymousreply 360June 3, 2020 6:33 PM

People are getting arrested here from being caught on tapes during our riots and so far it's been four white kids from the suburbs. I think they were more into the excitement of destroying stuff than the Black Lives Matter moment. I am always afraid of things being turned to Trump's advantage because I live in Michigan and I don't want him winning this state.

by Anonymousreply 361June 3, 2020 6:41 PM

R358, to the contrary, everyone involved has goals. The rioters want to steal property. The protestors wanted all four police officers charged, which is happening, and want to protest unlawful police conduct. This may lead to a nation-wide ban on the use of chokeholds.

by Anonymousreply 362June 3, 2020 6:53 PM

The protestors also want an end to qualified immunity, the legal protection that makes it very difficult to convict cops if they claim they did whatever they did as part of their jobs.

Also civilian review boards with the power to fire police that get complaints filed against them. Cops should have to prove the complaint is frivolous to other civilians, not us proving the complaint is valid to other cops Also ending the transfer of military equipment to the police and making them sell what they have. Also broad scale defunding. It's absurd the NYPD is larger now than they were at the height of the gang violence in the 80s and 90s. The murder rate is a small fraction of what it was but we have more cops and more riot gear.

Protestors have many clear goals. It's up to you to educate yourself on them

by Anonymousreply 363June 3, 2020 7:06 PM

And they want a repeal of the shield laws that prevent disciplinary records from being released. New York's is called 50A. Write your state reps.

by Anonymousreply 364June 3, 2020 7:13 PM

[quote] Also broad scale defunding. It's absurd the NYPD is larger now than they were at the height of the gang violence in the 80s and 90s. The murder rate is a small fraction of what it was but we have more cops and more riot gear.

R363, I understand most of the suggested reforms - but isn't the increased size of the NYPD correlated to the annually growing volume of visitors to NYC in the 2010s? Whereas international travel was very limited in the 80s and early 90s. A growing number of tourists (easy targets) usually attracts more petty criminals and thieves. The more tourists = the more police is required to safeguard them.

[quote] "NYC again sets tourism record as it roars into 2019. NYC & Company has released its latest tourism figures, which found that in 2018, New York City welcomed a record 65.2 million visitors, comprising 51.6 million domestic and 13.5 million international visitors, the 9th consecutive year of tourism growth.

Also, the anti-terrorist situation since 2001 has changed the landscape - that wasn't as much a concern in the 80s. Regular people don't usually hear about counter-terrorist operations and investigations in the news (they're usually classified / kept secret until the end) - but they're now carried out regularly in major cities:

[quote] The NYPD Counterterrorism Bureau (CT) is the city's primary local resource to guard against the threat of international and domestic terrorism in New York City. The latest addition to the bureau is a team of dedicated, highly trained counterterrorism officers, called the Critical Response Command, that is equipped and ready to respond to terrorist and active-shooter attacks.

by Anonymousreply 365June 3, 2020 7:46 PM

[quote] It's absurd the NYPD is larger now than they were at the height of the gang violence in the 80s and 90s.

That’s from Dinkins’ Safe City Act that increased the NYPD from approximately 30,000 to almost 40,000 cops.

by Anonymousreply 366June 3, 2020 8:27 PM

Will these protest walks (that's what they've become) eventually lose their effectiveness and just peter out? Like "Occupy Wall Street?"

by Anonymousreply 367June 3, 2020 10:14 PM

New poll has Trump up 4 in Arizona, 9 in Wisconsin, and 2 in Ohio. These polls were all taken since the weekend. There is no "protest backlash" comiong to save Trump. Sorry cultists

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368June 3, 2020 10:52 PM

New poll has Trump up 4 in Arizona, 9 in Wisconsin, and 2 in Ohio. These polls were all taken since the weekend. There is no "protest backlash" comiong to save Trump. Sorry cultists

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369June 3, 2020 10:52 PM

Those say Biden is up, R369.

by Anonymousreply 370June 3, 2020 11:10 PM

R369 is a fucking MORON

by Anonymousreply 371June 3, 2020 11:22 PM

LOL sorry brain fart. Of course I meant Biden is up. Long week. Apologies and the like

by Anonymousreply 372June 3, 2020 11:27 PM

The police are still escalating

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373June 4, 2020 3:52 AM

All this protesting just because a black guy died is ridiculous. Kobe Bryant died just a few months at the hands of a white guy and there wernt any protests then.

by Anonymousreply 374June 4, 2020 4:12 AM

R374 Wow you just told everyone you were straight up garbage with no hesitation!

by Anonymousreply 375June 4, 2020 4:26 AM

Kobe Bryant was a beloved athlete, whereas this Floyd guy was obviously a trouble making hoodlum or he wouldn't of gotten tangled up with the police to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 376June 4, 2020 5:03 AM

London reaction-

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377June 4, 2020 5:17 AM

R292 please point out exactly where I lied. I know you struggle with reading comprehension but I'll still wait.

by Anonymousreply 378June 4, 2020 5:47 AM

Will the cops get away with brutalizing the protesters? The should be protesting those guys to and not just the 4.

What about the ones that gassed people or abused them? The elderly guy that got knocked down?

These freaks make the rest of the cops look bad.

by Anonymousreply 379June 4, 2020 6:01 AM

The Mayors siding with the cops.

The cops being generally assholes.

They try and use their curfews while destroying water bottles and beating people senseless while attacking anyone trying to heal anyone to stop these protests from happening but I'm not sure what country they live in, Americans are stubborn bastards and want this country to be the one we always thought it was even if it isn't in reality.

This isn't going to just go away at this point or be swept under the rug.

by Anonymousreply 380June 4, 2020 6:55 AM

But this is also police brutality. They even killed someone.

So why isn’t this police brutality being procecuted also, like the other 4?

There should be a lot more than 4

The good cops need to speak out and start protesting as well.

by Anonymousreply 381June 4, 2020 7:15 AM

They said he tested positive for Coronavirus so was he out there with no mask?

by Anonymousreply 382June 4, 2020 7:55 AM

Anybody with an active NYT subscription, please consider canceling.

They published a repulsive OP-Ed from Tom Cotton about sending out the military to shoot protestors, and then published an as-repulsive both-sides response. I've held on longer than I should. I'm done.

by Anonymousreply 383June 4, 2020 1:38 PM

[quote]They said he tested positive for Coronavirus so was he out there with no mask?

He tested positive on April 3, eight weeks before his death, so he was presumably recovered.

by Anonymousreply 384June 4, 2020 1:40 PM

This is an honest to God video of the NYPD destroying businesses so they could frame it on protestors. It was filmed last night

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 385June 4, 2020 1:44 PM

Reuters:

Attorney General Barr says foreign groups, extremists stoking divisions in U.S. protests

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386June 4, 2020 5:53 PM

Did he mention the three alt-right guys in Vegas who were arrested for plotting violence?

by Anonymousreply 387June 4, 2020 5:58 PM

I had a feeling all those swiftly moving trained shoulders dressed in black wearing masks and running from cellphones were foreigners. Seems like the AG is backing that up.

American are too lazy for all that fancy, ninja like-tactics. Plus they want credit and would be filming it all for the gram.

If any are Americans, they were trained and funded with oligarch/overseas money. Regular protesters don’t have time for all that. Where would they get the gear? The training? The instructions?

These foreign agent provocateurs don’t want to be seen or filmed. They move swiftly and with cause: to divide the country.

by Anonymousreply 388June 4, 2020 6:00 PM

R385 This is the reason, according to the owner himself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 389June 4, 2020 6:05 PM

How did they get in the store?

by Anonymousreply 390June 4, 2020 6:07 PM

R385

[Quote]To give the first video more context my store was broken into by the people you see in video 2. While most of the looters got away one looter got trapped inside the store, charges were pressed (Video 3.) .

[Quote]The looters damaged my gate and to apprehend the culprit the police had to saw open my gate and get him. At the time it was a sound idea but the store lootings & violence got worse and the police had to leave to respond to other calls and couldn’t wait for my contractor to repair it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391June 4, 2020 6:08 PM

If they could get in, why couldn’t the cops?

If the cops were in communication with the owner, why didn’t he bring them the keys?

I didn’t fall off the turnip truck yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 392June 4, 2020 6:08 PM

They're having a memorial at Cadman Plaza in Brooklyn. When De Blasio got up to speak, he got boos, calls to resign, middle fingers, and then everyone turned their backs on him.

Following that, Jumaane Williams actually said “We have the wrong President, we have the wrong Governor and we have the wrong Mayor for the times we are living in right now.” to his face.

by Anonymousreply 393June 4, 2020 6:49 PM

The issues with the anonymous police forces on the streets of DC has been escalated all the way to the Speaker's office.

This would ordinarily go through the relevant committees, so you know this is a big deal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394June 4, 2020 8:16 PM

Please make this a thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 395June 4, 2020 8:19 PM

Hey what's a "jury store?"

by Anonymousreply 396June 4, 2020 8:25 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397June 4, 2020 8:27 PM

R388 Mossad.

by Anonymousreply 398June 4, 2020 8:29 PM

Glenn Kirschner:

Bill Barr's Selective Blame Game

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399June 4, 2020 9:06 PM

I also saw the video of police planting bricks hoping protesters would use them

by Anonymousreply 400June 5, 2020 2:16 AM

Just as a trigger warning: this is graphic!!!!

They put down on their report that the man tripped in Buffalo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401June 5, 2020 2:41 AM

George Floyd, a man who actually read the Bible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402June 5, 2020 3:53 AM

Here's how I see it. No right has ever been earned through peaceful means, so there's that. Then, we're seeing an escalation of police brutality that far surpasses that of George Floyd, in the sense police has been caught more than 100 times on video since the protests started, being brutal and sociopathic to everyone, white protesters included. People are seeing live police brutality, it's trending literally everyday on social media, it has become impossible to ignore police for what it is, a factory of sociopaths and murderers.

All the four major trending topic right now concern the brutal and graphic video I've linked. It shows police shoving down a 75 year old who bleeds on the floor (he's stable now) as police runs over him like it's no big deal.

Every day we have about 50 videos like that. People are waking up, things will not be the same.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403June 5, 2020 4:00 AM

[quote] American are too lazy for all that fancy, ninja like-tactics. Plus they want credit and would be filming it all for the gram. If any are Americans, they were trained and funded with oligarch/overseas money.

Time to take your medicine grandpa, and time to browse your daily Q-anon newsletter. What a joke this comment is. You're an ignorant and a fool.

Black block tactics to antagonize police brutality (what you call ninja movements) has been an American staple since the early 2000s, 1999 to be more precise during the anti globalization/ anti WTO protests in Seattle, the same movement of hacktivists that founded Indymedia, vimeo, twitter, kickstarter and Youtube.

It's sad that most people don't know that social media aka the web 2.0 was founded by anti globalization activists. All the major social media platforms sprung from Indymedia, the first social media to offer people a platform to post and share videos and thoughts in real time. All major social media today with the exception of Facebook, had at least one major activist from this movement as its founder or co-founder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404June 5, 2020 4:15 AM

Heres the national guard shooting inside people's home to reinforce a curfew. If you think this will go unnoticed by the general public, you're high. Each day things get clear and police brutality gets worse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405June 5, 2020 4:25 AM

[quote] George Floyd, a man who actually read the Bible.

After a conviction for armed robbery it helps pass the time in prison and butters up the parole board.

by Anonymousreply 406June 5, 2020 5:35 AM

It’s time this ended. Did we all forget that there is a deadly pandemic going on? Thousands of these people will be dead in three weeks.

by Anonymousreply 407June 5, 2020 5:38 AM

THIS IS SO CRAZY.

NO WORDS!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408June 5, 2020 5:49 AM

You can’t tell from the blur but he starts gushing blood from his ear.

by Anonymousreply 409June 5, 2020 5:50 AM

Here is the non blurred.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 410June 5, 2020 5:52 AM

R393 Oh that was glorious. Here's the video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411June 5, 2020 5:58 AM

Trump has fucked this up so badly. that DC Mayor Muriel Bowser actually had to invoke the Third Amendment against the Utah National Guard.

Yes, they were attempting to force DC hotels to quarter troops. That's where we are.

by Anonymousreply 412June 5, 2020 12:13 PM

Muriel Bowser had a giant Black Lives Matter painted on the road leading to the White House AND renamed the square in front of it Black Lives Matter Plaza.

What a badass.

by Anonymousreply 413June 5, 2020 4:07 PM

Don't underestimate how many people like cops. Underpaid, always in harm's way, mostly decent and required to keep cool heads more than ever. I don't think anyone likes what happened to Floyd but it will still be spun as a one-off bad cop situation.

Bones will be tossed such as Hate Crimes bills in Georgia but the "real world" will still prevail, for better or worse. Like Dominick Dunne said after the trial, "Now O.J. will see how white people riot." They shun, retreat, conveniently lose the rental application, hire one and hope someone sees, whatever it takes to keep a game face but stay out of drama.

by Anonymousreply 414June 5, 2020 4:16 PM

[quote] I don't think anyone likes what happened to Floyd but it will still be spun as a one-off bad cop situation.

That would be true if we didn't have daily demonstrations of police brutality toward pacific protesters. This whole ordeal sure will have a huge impact on defunding the police, as a matter of fact it's already happening.

by Anonymousreply 415June 5, 2020 4:19 PM

r415, what about the atlantic protesters?

by Anonymousreply 416June 5, 2020 4:23 PM

Los Angeles is cutting 100-150 million from the LAPD and putting it into community development. The total budget now is 1.86 billion (!!!) So this is only a start. But it's a start.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 417June 5, 2020 4:25 PM

New NPR/PBS/Marist poll:

-62% of voters think the demonstrations following Floyd’s death are “mostly legitimate protests,” just 28% say they’re “mostly people acting unlawfully.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418June 5, 2020 5:44 PM

R406, you trivialize Floyd's life experience it with your lack of compassion and jaded point of view. Why? Is there a comparison between Floyd and trump, who has committed untold scams and crimes, told lie after lie, and conned and cheated his way into a place of which he is undeserving and unfit?

Floyd did time for his crime and afterwards made an effort to turn his life around, moving to Minneapolis was an attempt to improve his life. No matter what crimes Floyd was guilty of, he did not deserve death as a punishment. Trump, on the other hand, commits outrage after outrage every day and is never held accountable. It's time someone put a knew on his neck.

by Anonymousreply 419June 5, 2020 6:13 PM

^ "knee" on his neck.

by Anonymousreply 420June 5, 2020 6:14 PM

That's what we refer to as the November election.

by Anonymousreply 421June 5, 2020 6:58 PM

r420 - Good thing it wasn't a....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 422June 5, 2020 7:00 PM

🚨 please watch and share this video. It’s very important that it is seen by all Americans, and media 🚨

POLICE OFFICER TELLS PROUD BOYS TO HIDE INSIDE BUILDING BECAUSE THEY'RE ABOUT TO TEAR GAS PROTESTERS. THE OFFICER SAID HE WAS WARNING THEM "DISCREETLY" BECAUSE HE DIDN'T WANT PROTESTERS TO SEE POLICE "PLAY FAVORITES."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423June 5, 2020 9:04 PM

DC Mayor Bowser renames street in front of White House "Black Lives Matter Plaza" and paints the street.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 424June 6, 2020 5:29 AM

Donald Trump Retweets Glenn Beck and Candace Owens Trashing George Floyd

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425June 6, 2020 2:41 PM

[quote] Floyd did time for his crime and afterwards made an effort to turn his life around, moving to Minneapolis was an attempt to improve his life.

How do you ‘turn your life around’ by taking a cocktail of syntethic opiods and meth, R419?

I’m against cop-sadism and cruel & unusual fatal punishment for druggie ex-armed robbers, but no need to make him into some kind of prodigal son getting back on the straight & narrow.

A guy who voluntarily points a gun at a pregnant woman’s belly is either a sadist or has serious brain-damage. There’s no coming back from pulling shit like that.

I love that they’re now painting murals of Floyd in Houston, etc, depicting him with a golden halo and angel wings. The scene of Mayor Frey theatrically weeping and wailing over his coffin, as if he was laying a life-long friend or a national hero to rest, during an almost state-like funeral, was also surreal. Life is truly stranger than fiction.

by Anonymousreply 426June 6, 2020 4:10 PM

R426 = the ghost of Eva Braun

by Anonymousreply 427June 6, 2020 4:14 PM

R426 it really doesn't matter what you think. We live in the United States of America. We have a constitution that guarantees him a trial before the state can punish him in any way for anything. Those rights were violated so what the cop did was murder. Some bitchy man old man online who personally is fine with the murder is 100% irrelevant to the matter at hand

by Anonymousreply 428June 6, 2020 4:34 PM

R427 = Tammi Menendez

[quote] We live in the United States of America - where many, like R428, either have ADHD or lack basic reading comprehension skills and need remedial classes, due to our inferior high school education system compared to the rest of the developed world.

FIFY, R428. Now go back and re-read my post. Syllable by syllable. Use a dictionary when needed.

by Anonymousreply 429June 6, 2020 5:07 PM

May Saint Floyd protect us all!

by Anonymousreply 430June 6, 2020 5:57 PM

I'd love to see the black community get ahold if Candace Owens and serve a little "social justice" of their own.

by Anonymousreply 431June 6, 2020 6:12 PM

Some of the anonymous Sturmabteilung patrolling DC have been identified as Bureau of Prisons employees from Texas.

by Anonymousreply 432June 6, 2020 7:12 PM

How many of you have Protest Fatigue? In combo with Corona Kum bi Yah, I can't take another platitude.

by Anonymousreply 433June 6, 2020 7:30 PM

Howard Dean @GovHowardDean Jaime Harrison is tied with Lindsey Graham in the SC senate race!!!!!!!! 42-42

by Anonymousreply 434June 6, 2020 7:31 PM

Yeah, R433. Just like Covid-19 we're reaching peak level "okay, enough already. Let's just get back to normal"

by Anonymousreply 435June 6, 2020 8:58 PM

OT CNN has rather young male reporters around the country reporting of marches and interviewing people. Some of the reporters look very nice and the stories they get are personal and emotional.

by Anonymousreply 436June 6, 2020 9:05 PM

The media just needs a new shiny object, a distraction to scurry off to next. The protests knocked Covid off the front pages at warp speed. Hmmm, what next? A major earthquake? A cure for cancer? Something.

by Anonymousreply 437June 6, 2020 9:06 PM

How is FUX covering this?

by Anonymousreply 438June 6, 2020 9:26 PM

In violent protest incidents, a theme emerges: Videos contradict police accounts

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439June 6, 2020 11:19 PM

Barr says he didn’t give tactical order to clear protesters

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440June 6, 2020 11:25 PM

Mitt Romney marching to the White House is a large group of Christians "to make sure that people understand that Black Lives Matter."

Anyone have "Mitt Romney is decent when the chips are down" on their BINGO card?

by Anonymousreply 441June 7, 2020 10:11 PM

When he is not killing people in Minnesota, Officer Chauvin is busy voting illegally in Florida.

All the story lines of this season—Russia, corruption, COVID19, voter suppression, police brutality, misuse of the military—are going converge before this is over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 442June 8, 2020 4:22 AM

The price tag for the Minneapolis riots comes in (this is just for the Twin Cities and not other parts of the country).

[quote] The city’s first survey of property damage shows that nearly 1,000 commercial properties in Minneapolis were damaged during the riots, including 52 businesses that were completely destroyed and 30 other locations that sustained severe damage.

[quote] Owners and insurance experts estimate the costs of the damage could exceed $500 million. That would make the Twin Cities riots the second-costliest civil disturbance in U.S. history, trailing only those in Los Angeles in 1992, which were also sparked by racial tensions with police and had $1.4 billion in damages in today’s dollars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 443June 10, 2020 7:51 PM

[quote]the costs of the damage could exceed $500 million.

Uber spent $500m rebranding so as not to be seen as such an asshole company.

Bloomberg spent $500m and won a delegate in American Samoa.

Clorox spends $500m to sell you bleach, cat litter, charcoal, and salad dressing.

$500m is a bargain compared with 1000 lives ended by police every year.

by Anonymousreply 444June 10, 2020 8:00 PM

NASCAR has banned displays of the Confederate flag. That's pretty huge.

by Anonymousreply 445June 10, 2020 8:58 PM

A lot of the businesses were small mom and pop stores. One store owner said that insurence doesn't cover civil disobedience. A lot of those stores will never reopen.

by Anonymousreply 446June 11, 2020 3:12 AM

Minneapolis Manufacturing Company Will Leave City after Plant Burned in Riots

A Minneapolis manufacturing company whose plant was set on fire by rioters plans to leave the city, saying that city officials afforded them no assistance in handling the destruction.

“They don’t care about my business,” 7-Sigma Inc.’s president and owner, Kris Wyrobek, told The Star Tribune about Minneapolis public officials. “They didn’t protect our people. We were all on our own.”

The 7-Sigma plant in south Minneapolis, which the company has maintained since 1987, shut down several hours early around 7 p.m. instead of 11 p.m. as a precautionary measure on the first night of rioting. The company manufactures several products, including rollers for high-speed printing presses and medical training mannequins.

When a fire broke out in an apartment complex under construction that was next door to the manufacturing facility, “the fire engine was just sitting there, but they wouldn’t do anything,” Wyrobek said. The apartment complex was leveled by the fire, and several stores across the street including a Target store were looted during the first night of riots.

The city will lose about 50 jobs when the company skips town, a move that Wyrobek said he had “not in my wildest nightmare” considered before the riots. Now, he is “cautiously optimistic” that he can rebuild his company elsewhere, “but we are certainly not able to do that in Minneapolis.”

by Anonymousreply 447June 11, 2020 11:50 AM

[quote] One store owner said that insurence doesn't cover civil disobedience.

Maybe they should’ve bought insurance then instead.

by Anonymousreply 448June 11, 2020 6:34 PM

Chicago Cops Hung Out Inside U.S. Rep’s Office as Protest Raged. They Made Popcorn, Drank Coffee, Napped.

Pilar Melendez June 11, 2020, 2:16 PM CDT Via Chicago Mayor Via Chicago Mayor As protests across Chicago devolved into chaos last week and residents started to loot nearby stores, police officers were making popcorn and drinking coffee while “lounging” inside Congressman Bobby Rush’s office, officials said in a stunning news conference on Thursday.

Speaking alongside Mayor Lori Lightfoot, Rush said at least 13 Chicago Police officers were loitering inside his South Side campaign office in the early hours of June 1 and were “relaxing” while nearby stores were being looted and burned, and their fellow officers were clashing with demonstrators.

“They even had the unmitigated gall to make coffee for themselves and to pop popcorn, my popcorn, in my microwave, while looters were tearing apart businesses within their sight and within their reach,” Rush (D-IL) said.

more at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 449June 12, 2020 8:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!