Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Roxane Gay: new 'Work Friend' writer for the New York Times

Her first column is so supercilious and cunty that even NY Times readers are disgusted. Roxane concludes her first piece of advice with this:

[quote]In addition to everything I’ve suggested, [bold]you should also take some time to sit and contemplate your economic privilege and the touch of xenophobia implied by your question[/bold].

The top comment on the Times site (and there are a LOT like this):

[quote]this article is amazingly condescending, and I'd be shocked if anyone asks for your advice moving forward. You talk about other's privilege during this crisis when you are the one who is able to write for the New York Times as a result of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52April 3, 2021 1:10 AM

The debate ended quickly when Ms. Gay ate her challenger.

by Anonymousreply 1May 30, 2020 4:20 AM

"Perhaps rename this column “Work Friend for Masochists,” because given the take down of the writer I think those are the folks who will be submitting queries going forward."

by Anonymousreply 2May 30, 2020 4:23 AM

Roxane Gay is right: someone who writes in about whether it's safe for her to have her cleaning woman in, and then she cleans everything after the cleaning woman leaves just in case the cleaning woman might be a problem and not the other way around?

Gay is correct in her reprimand of this cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3May 30, 2020 4:24 AM

Roxane, revving the outrage engines while awaiting DoorDash.

by Anonymousreply 4May 30, 2020 4:25 AM

She is EXHAUSTED!

by Anonymousreply 5May 30, 2020 4:42 AM

My new work friend is a BITCH

by Anonymousreply 6May 30, 2020 4:54 AM

Awwww, Roxanne hurt Miss Ann's feelings.

Bleh!

by Anonymousreply 7May 30, 2020 5:03 AM

What kind of work is she ever going to do? It's hard to imagine her bending down much.

by Anonymousreply 8May 30, 2020 5:06 AM

What a bizarre column. I sort of feel like I live in some kind of science-fiction world. I've recently spent several weeks in a couple of different hospitals for various problems: broken bones, vitamin deficiencies, and (eventually) acute depression. In every case, when a nurse or nurse's aide or some other health professional came to my room, I totally deferred to their instructions. They were men and women, from all over the world: if I were told to wash my hands thoroughly and use disinfectant, I did. The rules about masks seemed to be enforced unevenly (I think they knew I had been tested and was negative). Some of the aides who saw me several times a day seemed to relax their rules a bit, but I always tried to remind people that I'd be happy to put my mask back on, or wash my hands once again.

I was very warm and friendly with many of the people helping to care for me, since I genuinely respected their work, and would hate to be disrespectful. The tone in the writer's column was so alien to my experience: maybe being a working-class Midwesterner accounts for the difference. When I was asked to re-position myself for a side X-ray, I did. When I was asked to hold a blood pressure cuff in place on my skinny arm, I did. I didn't do anything difficult: I did what the professionals asked me to do. I can't begin to fathom what seems like an adversarial tone in that article.

by Anonymousreply 9May 30, 2020 5:28 AM

I see nothing wrong with her response. The letter writer is a selfish cunt.

by Anonymousreply 10May 30, 2020 5:39 AM

It seems the NYTimes will just hire anybody now.

by Anonymousreply 11June 5, 2020 7:55 PM

Roxane Gay writes for the New York Times. It's in the 99.9999% of journalism jobs, so she should check her privilege when discussing privilege.

by Anonymousreply 12June 5, 2020 8:01 PM

Roxane Gay is so privileged that she gets piad to write about being offended and tweet about being offended that Pelosi called Trump obese and/or unhealthy (whatever). If that's not privilege, what is?

by Anonymousreply 13June 5, 2020 8:07 PM

*paid

by Anonymousreply 14June 5, 2020 8:07 PM

All of this is so exhausting, isn't it? I'm as tired as hell and I just can't take it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 15June 5, 2020 8:08 PM

She is a fat bitter bitch. She’d fit in perfectly at DL.

by Anonymousreply 16June 5, 2020 8:09 PM

Was she brought on as some kind of affirmative-action hire for obese women? It sure seems that way.

by Anonymousreply 17June 5, 2020 8:10 PM

Cleaning someone’s home is not an essential service. In this case it’s probably not even legal.

by Anonymousreply 18June 5, 2020 8:12 PM

I actually can't see the problem with her answer. People didn't like her tone? So what? Doesn't make her wrong. Americans are weird.

by Anonymousreply 19June 5, 2020 8:22 PM

R9 Exactly. In every other circumstance you defer to the professional (in this case it would be the cleaning lady) who can decide for themselves if the job is worth the risk, especially if the job is deemed inessential. Of course this writer only cares about one thing. The cleaning lady was Mexican and the letter writer was white so all expectations are reversed. She's a stupid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 20June 5, 2020 8:27 PM

She might have received a letter from Consuela asking if it was safe to go into the homes she works in, but she didn’t. Answer the question you selected to publish. Don’t attack the writer for not asking the question you would prefer to answer.

by Anonymousreply 21June 5, 2020 8:41 PM

Whew - that was all over the place. All of this privilege talk is a bit rich coming from a woman who went the Phillips Exeter boarding school, Yale University, and whose lesbian partner was the Chief Marketing Officer for Sterling Brands.

She and her partner most likely have cleaners - trust on that. Does anyone not know that COVID spread from surfaces has been relatively minimal?

So her advice is to pay the woman the same for not coming in or DOUBLE for the services plus a hefty tip on top of it. Sounds like she'd fart in the letter writer's face on top of it if she could.

by Anonymousreply 22June 5, 2020 8:58 PM

Look at her. Wouldn't you be a bitter bitch with an unpleasant disposition if you looked like this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 5, 2020 11:43 PM

I can't breathe

by Anonymousreply 24June 6, 2020 6:52 PM

R23, it's almost as if obesity is unhealthy or something. And now the fat activists will attack me or bring up strawman arguments about underweight people.

by Anonymousreply 25June 6, 2020 6:58 PM

I suppose I’m lucky that it is behind a paywall.

by Anonymousreply 26June 6, 2020 7:09 PM

She needs to stop worrying about the bullshit minutiae of everyday life and start worrying about being monstrously obese. If I were this grossly overweight, I would be panicking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 6, 2020 7:11 PM

She was gang raped as a young teen and gained weight after that. From what I can discern, she's spent almost none of her life among African-Americans. She's a professional token.

by Anonymousreply 28June 6, 2020 7:19 PM

I had a professor in college who knows/is friends with her. From what I know of her, she strikes me as an ideologue and an elitist. Per her Wikipedia entry, she apparently had a gastric sleeve implemented in 2018, which tells me all I need to know about her previous efforts to defend her body as some sort of political statement.

by Anonymousreply 29June 6, 2020 11:44 PM

Clearly the NYT meant WOKE Friend not WORK Friend. Hopefully they’ll fix it in time for Ms Gay’s next scintillating column.

by Anonymousreply 30June 7, 2020 12:22 AM

She was born in the 1% her parents are wealthy and she grew up in privilege. The story she wrote about lecturing the McDonald’s clerk who asked her if she wanted a girl or boy toy for her happy meal tells you EVERYTHING about her.

by Anonymousreply 31June 7, 2020 12:29 AM

What is the life expectancy for a person that obese?

by Anonymousreply 32June 7, 2020 12:36 AM

Advice columns are almost always stupid because the questions are either bizarre confessions or appallingly self-centered. Surely, Gay has better things to do with her time than play Judge Judy.

by Anonymousreply 33June 7, 2020 12:44 AM

OMG, just when you think the Times couldn't find a worst columnist than their Ethicist (he's an idiot and asshole some of the time), they come up with this gal!

I read the article on my laptop, which reverted to the Times' Picks when looking at the comments. Needless to say their top of the top picks are those that support this columnist and her opinion. What a surprise!

by Anonymousreply 34June 7, 2020 12:47 AM

She's a very angry, bitter person. Of course it's easy to see why.

by Anonymousreply 35June 7, 2020 1:24 AM

The “Maria” letter was fake. I don’t buy it.

Gay has the biggest thighs I’ve ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 36June 7, 2020 1:38 AM

[quote] The “Maria” letter was fake. I don’t buy it.

It’s not uncommon for advice columns to put in a few ringers just to generate clicks and controversy.

by Anonymousreply 37June 7, 2020 1:49 AM

Although I am exhausted by Roxane Gay’s constant exhaustion, I didn’t disagree with her advice here.

by Anonymousreply 38June 7, 2020 2:05 AM

[quote]It’s not uncommon for advice columns to put in a few ringers just to generate clicks and controversy.

That never happens.

by Anonymousreply 39June 7, 2020 3:35 AM

Bring back Caity Weaver. She’s hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 40June 7, 2020 3:56 AM

The way the question is worded is so full of cliches I don’t believe it is real. The wording of it feels too forced to me spelling out “ (from Mexico)” and that her neighborhood has high covid. Also saying they clean the “bacteria” up from where the housekeeper touches rather than saying virus therefore Implying she is dirty. I think she wrote the question she wanted to answer.

by Anonymousreply 41June 7, 2020 4:21 AM

In this week's Work Friend, Roxane counsels a woman who wants her workplace to "do better"... which is like catnip for Roxane!

[quote][italic]I work for a prominent classical music organization. I am the only nonwhite person on my team. I have tried to raise awareness around having a structured equity, diversity and inclusion plan in place. I am the sole person on my team who has been vocal for change.

[quote]I recently had an argument with a close colleague, who I trust and who is white. I exclaimed that no one cared about diversity and inclusion at our organization. She became defensive and has stated in the past that she does not like “making people uncomfortable” by discussing these issues and that “this is the world of classical music.” I am growing tired of being the only person doing the work and beginning to feel resentful. What can I do to feasibly enact change, both with my colleagues and at the institutional level? — Anonymous, Toronto[/italic]

Roxane:

[quote]It is lonely to be the only nonwhite person in almost any situation. In the workplace, this means that you and your white colleagues do not have the same job. They get to focus solely on their work while, all too often, you have to do the work for which you were hired and the work of diversity, equity and inclusion, a specialized field you probably have no training in. I understand why you’re trying to raise awareness of D.E.I. and make your employer establish a structured plan. And I imagine it is very lonely being the only person who is willing to do this work.

[quote]Unfortunately, there is little that we can do to make people care about these issues. At some point, you have to decide how long you’re going to do this extra work for colleagues who aren’t willing to meet you even halfway. Of course you feel resentful. This is an absurd situation and one that you should not have to deal with. As for your colleague, it is the height of privilege to be able to avoid the discomfort of discussing difficult issues. So much important work toward change happens in the uncomfortable moments where we are forced to confront the things that challenge us.

[quote]Your colleague asserted that “this is the world of classical music.” What does that even mean? People of color both create and consume classical music. I would suggest starting small with the change that you want to see. Perhaps you can organize programs for your colleagues that can help educate them about classical musicians and composers of color, like Scott Joplin, Florence Beatrice Price, Samuel Coleridge-Taylor and George Bridgetower, and contemporary artists, like Lara Downes, Wynton Marsalis and Jessie Montgomery.

[quote]That said, you can do only so much and, frankly, you have done enough. You may well be surrounded by people who are unwilling or uninterested in living in the real world where diversity exists. If that’s the case, it could be that you need to move on to an organization whose values are more aligned with yours.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 2, 2021 9:49 PM

[quote] It's in the 99.9999% of journalism jobs

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 43April 2, 2021 10:04 PM

If John Simon could be a shitbag for years, I don't see why Roxanne can't.

by Anonymousreply 44April 2, 2021 10:07 PM

The problem is that Roxane can't balance her attitude with actual good writing. If she was witty at all, she could be forgiven a lot, I'm sure. But she doesn't even come close.

by Anonymousreply 45April 2, 2021 10:25 PM

If she were witty, would her writing be as clickbaity?

by Anonymousreply 46April 2, 2021 10:57 PM

Hellooooooooo?

I am STILL under immense pressure here!

by Anonymousreply 47April 2, 2021 11:02 PM

The time-honored tradition of the oppressed-but-wise colored woman disseminating sage advice is ingrained in our culture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 2, 2021 11:12 PM

She just shut down a Karen. She gets points in my book.

by Anonymousreply 49April 2, 2021 11:20 PM

I don’t want her advice. I would never write her for it. I can figure things out on my own, or ask a trusted friend.

by Anonymousreply 50April 2, 2021 11:29 PM

How many moons orbit around Ms. Gay?

by Anonymousreply 51April 2, 2021 11:36 PM

smelly cunt

by Anonymousreply 52April 3, 2021 1:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!