Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Shingles vaccine

I was given the shingles vaccine yesterday, and the side effects are pretty terrible, and they’re very similar to the Covid symptoms. In other words, fever, chills, muscle aches, and diarrhea. Has anyone else had these kind of side effects with this? I’m actually a bit nervous.

by Anonymousreply 152December 19, 2020 4:25 PM

My only side effect was a medium-sized lump and bruising at the injection site. It hurt more than expected but was considered "normal". I had shingles years ago, very painful, so that might be an issue. The 2nd shot was no big deal.

by Anonymousreply 1May 29, 2020 12:27 PM

Several months ago there was a discussion that might be helpful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 29, 2020 12:29 PM

If you would close your legs to married men OP, you wouldn't have needed that vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 3May 29, 2020 12:49 PM

Totally had the same reaction and I have never had a reaction like that before. I was warned but didn't think it would happen with suck force. The good news is you found a shit (they can be difficult to locate) and it only lasts about 48 hours.

by Anonymousreply 4May 29, 2020 1:07 PM

I had no reaction.

by Anonymousreply 5May 29, 2020 1:07 PM

My partner had the two-dose version. After one dose he was sick for a week. He told them to stick the other dose in their own arms.

by Anonymousreply 6May 29, 2020 3:32 PM

Howard Stern took the vaccimations and had flu-like symptoms for a few days after each injection. He said he had to stay home and rest.

One of his callers took them and said he felt like someone had just run a freight train over his arm.

One of my sister's co-workers took it and her arm "swelled up like a balloon" for a day or two.

So yes, the side effects may suck, but nowhere near shingles.

My mother had shingles. She was sick for a year, has permanent nerve damage, experiences pain when she eats sugar and it's nothing that you want.

by Anonymousreply 7May 29, 2020 3:40 PM

You want to have some kind of a reaction. It means your immune system is reacting and making antibodies. But I didn't know it could make you that sick.

by Anonymousreply 8May 29, 2020 3:44 PM

[quote] The good news is you found a shit (they can be difficult to locate)

Try the sidewalks of San Francisco. They're not difficult to locate there.

by Anonymousreply 9May 29, 2020 3:46 PM

It didn't. My doc said "there might be problems" ranging from a sore arm to the symptoms described here but there weren't any. Not saying it can't happen, but for a lot of people it's no big deal. My arm felt like I'd had the jab both times but the tetanus, yellow fever, and malaria shots were worse - and they weren't that bad.

Whatever the shot feels like, it can't be worse than shingles. A friend found out he had it when he was in India and said it was hell.

by Anonymousreply 10May 29, 2020 3:58 PM

I had the two-shot version. A bit of discomfort, but no flu-like symptoms.

by Anonymousreply 11May 29, 2020 4:03 PM

I had that reaction. to the first shot. I need to get the second by July 1, and am kind of worried that if the symptoms re-occur, I won't know for sure it's just the shot.

by Anonymousreply 12May 29, 2020 4:18 PM

I’ve had shingles several times. If you take herpes medicine as soon as it starts it goes away. You just have to know what to look for and not take a “wait and see” approach to it.

by Anonymousreply 13May 29, 2020 4:27 PM

What herpes medication?

by Anonymousreply 14May 29, 2020 5:10 PM

Aciclovir is what I have taken

by Anonymousreply 15May 29, 2020 7:22 PM

I remember that it hurt more than a typical injection at the time, but I don't remember any side effects. I think it hurts because they have to insert the needle in at an angle and go under the skin.

by Anonymousreply 16May 29, 2020 7:45 PM

I had both the shingles and pneumonia vaccines last year. So, could be either but my upper right arm still has a sore spot when I knead it with my fingers.

by Anonymousreply 17May 29, 2020 9:13 PM

My grandmother had shingles they gave her medical marijuana to lessen the pain.

by Anonymousreply 18May 29, 2020 9:19 PM

I had the two-shot vaccine, 6 months apart. I felt awful after both shots, for more than just a day. The tradeoff (not getting shingles, hopefully) is worth it, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 19May 29, 2020 9:27 PM

I've had the first of two shots. It was the second-most-painful shot I've ever had. My arm was sore for two weeks! No other symptoms. I had shingles once -Extremely painful -Enough that I'm willing to get the second shot, knowing how much it's going to hurt.

[R3] shingles is not contagious. You get it after having had chicken pox previously. While it is in the herpes family, it is not the same as Herpes Simplex 1 or 2. OP can fuck all the married men he wants...

by Anonymousreply 20May 29, 2020 9:33 PM

I'm due for my second shot so I went to the pharmacy today to see about getting it. I was told that while they have the vaccine in stock, the CDC has asked them to not administer it for now. I can understand the logic, because it seems that the side effects could be confused with those of COVID-19. However, doing. web search, I haven't been able to find any information about the CDC telling physicians to not administer the vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 21June 5, 2020 4:02 PM

I had both shots, no effect from the first one other than a sore arm but the second one made me sick with symptoms like you describes but the only lasted about 48 hours and I was pretty much back to normal.

by Anonymousreply 22June 5, 2020 4:05 PM

I had the both the one shot and the two shot versions. No problem with the one shot vaccine. With the two shot (Shingrix) I had no problems with the first dose. But after the second one I had flu-like symptoms for two or three days. Felt like shit after the second one.

by Anonymousreply 23June 5, 2020 4:13 PM

Why would you need both versions, r23? Either one should be good for life, right?

by Anonymousreply 24June 5, 2020 5:59 PM

[R21], I typically would be OK with a pharmacist telling me they have the vaccine, but they've been told not to use it. In this case I would swallow my urge to say what I was thinking (read, "You stupid fucking asshole, who the fuck do you think you're talking to? Not supposed to give it? I don't see a whit of intelligence in your stupid face to be face to be able to form a sentence like that, let alone believe that bullshit"), and in a polite and quiet tone ask the pharmacist exactly who told him this? And how do I contact them, because I find it strange you possess a vaccine that's recommended but you're told not to use it. It almost seems a violation of a hypocratic oath or something.

By this time the pharmacist either has you by the throat, is staring at you because they have no idea what a hypocratic oath is, or they've given you the info. But in all seriousness, you might want to pursue it, or even visit another pharmacy, if you're serious about getting the vaccine.

Or ask to speak to the manager, but we all know that's for another thread!

by Anonymousreply 25June 5, 2020 6:14 PM

I've had both Shingrix shots. After the first I felt leaden and utterly exhausted; I must have taken three naps in a single day. After about 24 hours the weight lifted, and I felt fine (with only a very slightly sore arm for a couple of days). I thought maybe since I'd gone through that with the first shot maybe the second would be easier. Nope, same side effects -- 24-hour exhaustion and then back to normal.

by Anonymousreply 26June 5, 2020 6:16 PM

Not R23 but I had them both, too: my doc said the first one (maybe 10 years ago) wasn't as good as the Shingrex. A colleague had just recovered from an attack of shingles and his description of the disease was painful enough just to hear and I cannot imagine how felt having it so I needed no convincing I'd rather avoid it.

No issues, though, with any of the shots: sore arm where the needle went in for a day or so was it. The combo of vaccines before a trip to South America was lot more painful. Yellow fever and typhoid are the ones I remember, but there were more.

by Anonymousreply 27June 5, 2020 6:16 PM

R24. I had the first one when it first came out. A few years later the second vaccine came out. The two dose vaccine is supposed to be almost twice as effective as the original one (according to my doctor). So I did the second one also.

by Anonymousreply 28June 5, 2020 6:18 PM

R21 here. I had singles years ago and would not wish it on anyone, even though I had a mild case. When I could get the first vaccine, I got it. When the new vaccine came out, I was told it was much. more effective than the original, and having had the original vaccine doesn't mean you don't need the new one.

I was fine with the pharmacy not giving me the second dose today and wasn't complaining about the CDC stuff. I've still got a few weeks until my deadline, and I guess the worst-case-scenario will be I'll have to take the first shot again. The reason I posted about it today was I was just curious if anyone else had heard of or experienced the CDC putting a hold on the vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 29June 5, 2020 8:26 PM

So it's back in stock? Last year I was asking the pharmacy every month if they had it and they never did. Then I forgot about it.

by Anonymousreply 30June 5, 2020 9:54 PM

My pharmacy was out of stock forever last year. Then, all of a sudden, they're like, "Hey, want a shingles vaccine?" So they're really in stock.

by Anonymousreply 31June 6, 2020 12:44 AM

R29, try Costco. I had mine there today.

by Anonymousreply 32June 6, 2020 1:16 AM

I wasn’t able to get my second shot until about 9 months after the first one, my PCP said the six month mark was recommendation by the manufacturer, but it didn’t mean I had to start over.

by Anonymousreply 33June 6, 2020 4:43 PM

Major flu symptoms and fatigue are typical, even more so than injection site pain, or arm swelling.

by Anonymousreply 34June 6, 2020 5:15 PM

Isn’t it rare to get shingles a second time?

by Anonymousreply 35June 6, 2020 5:50 PM

Had the Shingrix first shot. Felt like someone yanked my arm off at the socket for a week. Second, not so bad, just general soreness and it swelled up a bit. But that first shot, fuck that was crazy.

by Anonymousreply 36June 6, 2020 5:53 PM

R36 - an attack of shingles attacks a particular set of nerves. Mine attacked the side of my face. Others, who are less-fortunate, get it on one side of their torso. Once an area has been affected, from what I understand, it's unlikely to have another shingles attack for several decades (by that time, people are usually dead). However, an area that has not had shingles can still come down with it.

So, In my. case, without a vaccine, I could get it on my torso, legs, arms or the other side of my face.

by Anonymousreply 37June 6, 2020 6:04 PM

My first shingles shot was painless. My follow up second shot was like hell in a 24 hour period.

by Anonymousreply 38June 6, 2020 6:07 PM

R32: Hope you report back

by Anonymousreply 39June 6, 2020 6:07 PM

R39, R32 here. I have a sore arm, and oddly, my shoulder in the opposite side is sore too. I have arthritis and when I have an inflammation, like a fever, all my joints with arthritis tend to get sore so that’s probably why my other shoulder hurts.

When I went to Costco, they had me fill out the usual paperwork, then the pharmacist asked me a bunch of Coronavirus related questions. Do you have a fever, have you been around anyone with Coronavirus, have you gone anyplace where you might have been exposed.

For the last few months, I’ve been going through the list of booster shots I need which is actually pretty long. A lot of adults that don’t travel overseas don’t really get them. I started getting them in February when it looked like we might be locked down. Flu, tetanus, first shingles shot and now second shingles shot. I eventually want to get the measles shot, which I never had as a kid, and whatever else I can get. But they like you to space them out so I’m getting them one at a time.

I’m guessing Coronavirus is going to come back for the winter, so I’d really like to eliminate reasons to go to the doctor if I can.

by Anonymousreply 40June 6, 2020 6:55 PM

R40 The pneumonia jab is especially important if you are of advanced age, which I'm assuming you are if you haven't had measles jabs. Not to sound like a fearmonger, but pneumonia really is the Grim Reaper which comes for us as we get older, especially as a secondary infection which is both possible epwith Flu, as well as SARS-CoV-2.

by Anonymousreply 41June 6, 2020 7:05 PM

I had shingles a few years ago. A large part of my right torso was affected, then it moved to my back. By the time it hit my face, it stopped. It was unsightly and a huge nuisance, but not unbearable. My skin healed without leaving a single scar. I’ve been told over and over again, that it’s very rare to get it a second time.

by Anonymousreply 42June 6, 2020 7:07 PM

^ “of the right side of my torso”

by Anonymousreply 43June 6, 2020 7:08 PM

I had shingles when I turned 50, just like my mother did. Hers was on her leg. Mine was on my face and in my mouth, it hurt like hell and I didn't know what it was until it came to the surface. The dermatologist confirmed it was shingles, and she told me I had a mild case - it was only on half on my face and she said the nerve path went to the back of the head. I ended up taking two days off from work, but it wasn't horrendous. MDs say that if you've had it once that's it, it won't happen again. Unfortunately, my mother got it again when she was 70, not a huge deal for her, but who needs it? I'll get the shot(s) when I can sometime this year.

by Anonymousreply 44June 6, 2020 7:53 PM

Thanks r31

by Anonymousreply 45June 6, 2020 8:00 PM

This doesn't sound like shingles side effects. You most llikely actually have the virus.

by Anonymousreply 46June 6, 2020 8:15 PM

R41, pneumonia vaccine is the very first one I got. They’re saying it won’t help you with the Coronavirus, but who knows. It can’t do any harm anyway.

by Anonymousreply 47June 6, 2020 8:22 PM

Shingles is almost always only on one side of the body. It can leave permanent nerve damage or marks. I had it in my back and can still feel a minor tingle or itch almost all the time.

by Anonymousreply 48June 6, 2020 8:28 PM

R47 Wise decision. Quite logicalky, one could be left in a compromised position after contracting COVID, so thereby leaving him more susceptible to Pneumonias, so in that sense it is even more highly important. I dare say even more valuable than Measles, Tetanus, or some others. I so loathe Docs and scientists refer to Pneumonias as a "Friend to Elderly". I don't see how dying from Pneumonias is a compassionate way to end an elder's life, even if he is suffering from another malady. Struggling to breathe is a most terrible, and terrifying way to die IMO.

I had no noticeable side effects from the Trivalent version. As others have mentioned upthread, Yellow Fever, Typhoid, and TDAP seem to have some of the worst of complaints of side effects. Just to be clear, as I'm a strong advocate for informed consent, albeit very rare, it can indeed harm [italic] some [/italic]. It is definitely one of the most crucial in safeguarding one's health into old age, therefore the small risk is certainly worth it.

It's certainly good to enhance one's own natural immune system as well. Plenty of sunlight, and Vitamins B, C, and D are thought to be good defence against all Coronaviruses. Zinc is important too, but most of us do get enough through diet. (unlike C and D). Many say that even if you do go on to develop shingles, the jab makes it a much more mild and more easily managed case. Scary when many say morphine doesn't even such pain... That's the trouble with nerve pain.

by Anonymousreply 49June 6, 2020 8:46 PM

I’m due for the pneumonia vaccine now that I’m 65. However, ny clinic has only been doing telehealth visits since the Coronavirus shit started.

by Anonymousreply 50June 6, 2020 8:46 PM

Some of the problems is pharmacists don’t usually give out lots of shots so they suck at it

by Anonymousreply 51June 6, 2020 8:47 PM

R50 Sometimes with enough nagging, your clinic may be able to refer you where it IS available. Many pharmacy chains in the US ought to be able to give you one.

by Anonymousreply 52June 6, 2020 8:51 PM

Thanks, R52, but not necessary at this time per my PCP. My “clinic” is essentially the Houston equivalent of Kaiser-Permanente.

by Anonymousreply 53June 6, 2020 8:58 PM

My understanding is that if you've never had chicken pox and then you get it when you're older, e.g., 70, you can die from it. That's why I got my shingles shots. I've never had chicken pox. I told my doctor can I get the shots. She was in disbelief, for some reason, that I never had chicken pox. I reiterated that I have never had chicken pox. So, now, I've had both shots. I posted upthread that I felt like shit after both shots.

by Anonymousreply 54June 6, 2020 9:05 PM

Oddly, I never had mumps. I was exposed multiple times as a kid, but nothing.

by Anonymousreply 55June 6, 2020 9:10 PM

R54 I've met other mature adults who never had them. Funnily enough, some believe a few of these people actually were exposed, but for some reason didn't develop the pox.... would they still have immunity? Hard question, as some people have had the pox twice.

Another strange study I read about Herpes, is that it is believed those who contracted Chickenpox had somewhat of a stronger immunity or resistance toward HSV-1 & HSV-2. This advantage wasn't to be found amongst younger individuals who had been vaccinated for Chickenpox. I'm not at all certain if the study had been replicated, but it's interesting nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 56June 6, 2020 9:13 PM

Yes! Had the same side effects, OP. But only lasted 24 hours.

by Anonymousreply 57June 6, 2020 10:41 PM

R37 in my experience that’s not quite accurate. I had it three times in my twenties during periods of high stress. It was always on my torso but one time spread to appendages. I’m my experience it tends to be less severe with each successive time. Like I mentioned earlier a prompt response with herpes antiviral medicine stops it but most people ignore it until it has to run its course.

by Anonymousreply 58June 6, 2020 10:59 PM

Had the first dose of the two-shots version in February soon before the whole COVID mess began. My second does was scheduled for May, but with only urgent visits ongoing last couple of months, I've been needing to have it postponed. Meanwhile, I experienced no noticeable side effects from my first shot--save for the arm really hurting near the end of the day I got it that morning.

by Anonymousreply 59June 7, 2020 6:20 AM

R50, both Costco and Sams Club give vaccines and they don’t argue with you about whether you should have it, except for the pneumonia shot, and you’re old enough for that.

Go on the website and check and see what vaccines are available, it’s a surprisingly long list. You do not have to have a Costco card to get a vaccine at Costco, but I believe they give you a discount if you have a Costco card. It’s simple to do there and fairly quick, and they keep an online record.

by Anonymousreply 60June 7, 2020 7:54 PM

I had the first shingles shot in February, along with the 2nd Hep B and the flu shot. I just had the second shingles shot and the 3rd Hep B. After a few hours you start to feel like the flu is coming on, aches, lethargy, slight dizziness. I ached all night, turning and tossing. It feels just like you are starting to get sick, but then the next day it eases. By the second day you are fine. Of all the shots, the shingles hurts the worst. Two shots in one arm still did not hurt as much as just the shingles in one arm.

by Anonymousreply 61June 13, 2020 5:03 PM

Oh forgot to add, if you massage the area after your shot, it will not be as sore. I forgot to do that the first time and my arm was sore for a week. The second time I massaged the area afterwards for about 5 minutes and my arm was only sore for 2 days. It was a huge difference.

by Anonymousreply 62June 13, 2020 5:07 PM

r29 back again. Got a call from my pharmacy the other day to tell me that the shot was available again. Went for shot #2. (Learned along the way, that the two shots are identical.). My arm was sore and warm for a couple of days. However, the next morning, I felt like I was hungover. No big deal, except that the night before I had coincidentally read an article about what it's like to have COVID-19, and they said the first day they had a problem, they felt like they were hungover.

by Anonymousreply 63June 21, 2020 5:27 AM

Got my second shot last Sunday. Arm was a little sore Monday morning, but the pain got worse despite massaging and moving it around. By Monday night I had a low-grade fever and felt weak. Tuesday I felt like I had full-on flu -But I woke up Wed. feeling almost completely normal. Best thing for the arm pain was a hot shower. Should have used warm compresses instead of ice. Now it's Saturday and no sign of the shot -My arm is fine

by Anonymousreply 64June 21, 2020 5:31 AM

Saw how difficult shingles made things for my mother so made arrangements for the shot. NO side effects whatsoever and no more discomfort to my arm than any other vaccination.

by Anonymousreply 65June 21, 2020 6:37 AM

r54, so you never had the chickenpox. so did you get the chickenpox vaccine as well?

I'm in the same boat, I've never had the chickenpox, I had such a great mom that she didn't keep any of my immunization papers or even remember what I had. I was tested by my doctor and the test came back negative for chickenpox. I was supposed to take the chickenpox vaccine but I soon moved away for a job and never did.

How old do you have to be to get the shingles vaccine?

by Anonymousreply 66June 21, 2020 6:55 AM

Personally, I feel these 'reactions' to vaccines are psychosomatic. And contribute to these anti-vaxer mentalities. Folks, you get a slightly sore arm at the injection site. The rest is in your head. Vaccines save lives, and could prevent you from getting shingles. Can't wait till the Covid-19 vaccine Karen's reactions come out. Health, or death. It's really not a hard decision.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67June 21, 2020 12:10 PM

When I was five years old, I woke up on Christmas morning with the chicken pox. Because it was a holiday, there are a bunch of photos of Little Me looking absolutely miserable. And, of course, covered all over with the pox. I have also had several people close to me who had outbreaks of shingles. They, too, were absolutely fucking miserable. I do not recall how long I was sick with chicken pox, but I know shingles does not come and go in a few days.

Really, OP. Really. If you're worried about side-effects of a shingles vaccine, you are coming at this backwards. You are looking at the wrong damned thing.

by Anonymousreply 68June 21, 2020 12:21 PM

You are basically full of shit, R67. There is nothing psychosomatic about a fever. I had a low grade fever (in addition to other flu-like symptoms) after mY second shot. And if it’s all psychosomatic, why would possible reactions be included in the warnings?

by Anonymousreply 69June 21, 2020 8:12 PM

R69 One only needs a peek at America's VAERS (vaccine adverse effect reporting system) to realise you are correct. The numerous side effects are even listed on the insert. Researchers have the opinion that less than 1% of all side effects are even reported to VAERS.

There has been quite a staggering amount paid out as settlement by American taxpayers in some of these cases. The "vaccine court" is not an easy win, even with convincing circumstances. I'm not an American, but have been administered an extra T-dap jab, and suffered a seizure shortly thereafter. I had also taken a Yellow-Fever jab two days prior. I have epilepsy now. Most shall make the attribution "that's but a coincidence".... Side effects are real... they wouldn't be listed as possibilities if they were not.

by Anonymousreply 70June 21, 2020 8:59 PM

I've had the pneumonia vaccine twice but my body refuses to make antibodies.

Those of you getting the shingles vaccine, do your doctors check to see if they've been successful?

by Anonymousreply 71June 21, 2020 9:12 PM

[quote] [R54], so you never had the chickenpox. so did you get the chickenpox vaccine as well? I'm in the same boat, I've never had the chickenpox[....] I was supposed to take the chickenpox vaccine but I soon moved away for a job and never did. How old do you have to be to get the shingles vaccine?

R66, I should probably get the chickenpox vaccine as well. I got confused; I didn't realize there were 2 separate vaccines for chickenpox & shingles. I will ask my doctor about a chickenpox vaccine. I don't know if there's a minimum age or not for getting a shingles vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 72June 21, 2020 9:47 PM

I’m supposed to get my pneumonia vaccine on 7/15. Here goes another one.

by Anonymousreply 73June 22, 2020 6:58 AM

R69 "if it’s all psychosomatic, why would possible reactions be included in the warnings? "

Because unless they result in hospitalization or are otherwise confirmed by observation or lab/xray results, most "common side effects" are self-reported. That's not to say they or aren't psychosomatic, just that they've been reported. How many times a low grade fever has been documented is a good question - did the reporter actually take their temperature?

by Anonymousreply 74June 22, 2020 2:23 PM

I get the flu vaccine and only experience mild site injection pain. This year I did the shingles two-dose (Shingrix). Had the first in February—again, only site injection pain. Had the second dose last Wednesday. First day, justvdite pain. Second day, I wanted to die—nausea, actual stomach pain, listlessness, headache. Found it very difficult to sleep. Finally took Unisom and slept 12 hours. Felt washed out, but pain and nausea free. Still feel like just lying around (and can do do, as I just retired), but feel like “sick” symptoms have disappeared. Friends have reported everything from no symptoms to bad reactions after the first but not the second, vice versus (my experience) to bad reactions after both. While it felt like hell that second day, I’m glad I did it. I had relatives who got shingles and it sounds like it was far worse than the time-limited, if acute discomfort I experienced. Yes, I will have the flu shot again (not old enough for the pneumonia) and, once they have a reasonable version, whatever they come up with you try to prevent Covid. I am the opposite of an anti-vaxxer: I believe in science, not folk remedies.

by Anonymousreply 75June 22, 2020 4:38 PM

According to R74 it was all in your head R75

by Anonymousreply 76June 22, 2020 4:49 PM

I got the old shingles virus (replaced by this two-part new one) and still came down with the shingles. My dermatologist told me my case would have been much worse had I not gotten the vaccine. I'm not sure how anyone could prove that.

by Anonymousreply 77June 22, 2020 6:00 PM

According to my PCP that’s the reason for the new vaccine. The two dose Shingrix vaccine is supposed to be almost twice as effective as the old one.

by Anonymousreply 78June 22, 2020 6:32 PM

R76 he is free to think what he likes. Doesn’t make him right.

by Anonymousreply 79June 22, 2020 8:49 PM

People like [R67] are part of the antivax movement -Whether they realize it or not. Side effects are a real thing for any medication, including vaccinations. Denying that is sowing confusion in an already panicked debate. I keep my vaccinations up to date, and get those that are optional because I see them as having potential benefits that override any concerns about side effects. My second Shingrix shot made me miserable for two-and-a-half days. So be it. Way better than getting shingles again! People need to share their honest experiences, so others don't get the false idea that the vaccine is worse than the disease. I read up on the possible side effects, so I wasn't surprised when they happened. And I did what was recommended -I took some Tylenol for the fever, rested, and stayed hydrated. Sure enough, it passed quickly and I was fine.

by Anonymousreply 80June 22, 2020 9:25 PM

Again, has your doctor tested to see that the antibodies are in your blood?

Getting the vaccine does not guarantee that your body responds by creating antibodies. This is my situation with the pneumonia vaccine which I've had twice with no response.

I'm curious to know if your doctors are following up to check for the desired response.

by Anonymousreply 81June 22, 2020 10:05 PM

Mine has followed up with previous vaccinations (they all worked). Too soon to check on Shingrix...

by Anonymousreply 82June 22, 2020 10:08 PM

I got my first injection this afternoon. I feel fine hours later.

by Anonymousreply 83June 22, 2020 10:17 PM

Maybe they reused the needle and that is how you got coronavirus.

by Anonymousreply 84June 22, 2020 10:22 PM

R80 Excellent observations, and conclusion. I think those who are keen on shutting down the conversations of side effects are also to blame. There exists a real censorship going on which attempts to eliminate any criticism of specific vaccines, or their ingredients. Everyone who wants better science, and discussion are often labelled as "anti-vaxxers" which isn't always the case either.

I think it's awfully sad when children suffer ill effects (some serious, or death) and their mums are screamed at, and labelled as such. Usually they're fully vaccinated themselves, and obviously got the jabs recommend, or they wouldn't have a dead or vaccine injured child.

I've been screamed at and pegged as anti-vaxxer simply sharing my experience, and some others friends have shared.... yet if one checks my posting history here, I've encouraged several posters to have Pneumococcal, Shingles, etc. I've probably taken more jabs in my life than most of my detractors, as a reult of travelling, and having lived in five different countries over my lifetime. Recognition of side effects, promoting informed consent, and choice does not make anyone anti-vax. Vaccine injured individuals ought not be labelled as such either.

by Anonymousreply 85June 22, 2020 10:48 PM

[quote] I'm due for my second shot so I went to the pharmacy today to see about getting it. I was told that while they have the vaccine in stock, the CDC has asked them to not administer it for now. I can understand the logic, because it seems that the side effects could be confused with those of COVID-19. However, doing. web search, I haven't been able to find any information about the CDC telling physicians to not administer the vaccine.

63 year old New Yorker here. I'd been trying on and off for a year to get Shingrix. Either the pharmacy / clinic didn't have it or my insurance would only cover it in the doctor's office and I'd get sidetracked and forget about it.

Then I retired and coronavirus hit and no way was I going anywhere I didn't need to be.

Two months ago I got my Obamacare (Health First) and decided to try again, so Monday I went back to Duane Reade (Walgreen's) and they told me they didn't accept my insurance and suggested I try CVS. So I walked down to CVS and it was honestly the easiest thing I'd done in months. Efficient, fast, and free. And the pharmacist was an adorable Asian guy, so win-win.

He told me there would be some soreness (three days later, there still is, but nothing debilitating) and to come back in 2-6 months for shot #2. No mention of the CDC advising against it. FWIW, my 'baby' sister just turned 60 and she got the shot in California with no problems.

This morning I do have a slight hangover feeling, but, um it's a real hangover

by Anonymousreply 86August 5, 2020 12:11 PM

Can posters share any more experiences with Shingles? My uncle has it and he's scared shitless cause the rash is gone but the pain is still there.

by Anonymousreply 87August 5, 2020 12:21 PM

With my first shot I felt like I had a bad cold but there were no side effects with the second shot.

It was just a minor inconvenience really. Completely worth it to prevent or lessen shingles. My grandmother got shingles and it was debilitating for months. Just lots of pain.

I would suggest if anyone is having trouble getting the second shingles vaccine from the drugstore that they contact their doctors office. If you don't get it in time, you have to start over again.

by Anonymousreply 88August 5, 2020 12:31 PM

Yes, OP. Shingrix. Extremely common. I had the same. Lasted two days, with a few days recovery after. .

by Anonymousreply 89August 5, 2020 12:44 PM

I had shingles at age 30. I’d been working a lot and going to the gym and not sleeping enough. So painful. Had to take some kind of extremely powerful painkiller for it.

Nine years later, I still have neuralgia from it and have to take gabapentin to manage it.

The chicken pox vaccine has been around since the 1970s. Children in Japan all get it. They get it here now too. I hate that I had to get it, and then have it reactivate to give me shingles.

by Anonymousreply 90August 5, 2020 12:48 PM

R90 NINE YEARS LATER?

What kind of pain do you still have?

by Anonymousreply 91August 5, 2020 12:57 PM

This thread prompted me to get the shot. I’d forgotten all about it after trying to get one last year when it was out of stock and back ordered. Made appointment at the CVS Minute Clinic that afternoon and done. No side effects thank god.

by Anonymousreply 92August 5, 2020 1:12 PM

When I got my second shot a couple of months ago, I made sure to let the pharmacist know it was my second shot, and he told me that the two shots are actually the same.

The shot, like the previous one, was no big deal.

I actually had a sore arm for a couple of weeks afterwards. Though it was one of those "only when you notice it" kind of soreness. (I didn't have the soreness after the first shot five months earlier.)

It was nowhere near as painful as the shingles outbreak I had on my face a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 93August 7, 2020 2:51 AM

GURL! I had my first of two shingles vaccine shots on Monday - and I felt like SHIT all day Tuesday and part of Wednesday. I finally feel somewhat OK today (Thursday) but my arm is still fucking sore. My PA tole me I would have to lay low for a few days. NO SHIT.

by Anonymousreply 94August 7, 2020 3:05 AM

R93, when I got the first shingles shot, I put a reminder in my phone for three months later for the second shot. And I had it remind me every day until I got it. You think you’re going to remember when you got the first one, but then you don’t.

by Anonymousreply 95August 7, 2020 4:00 AM

Ha, I opted out of a reminder and she said, come back around Labor Day. That’s easy enough to remember.

by Anonymousreply 96August 7, 2020 1:49 PM

I had the original shingles vaccine and then when the new more effective Shingrix when it came out, I had that. Other than a sore arm there was nothing from the first two shots. The last dose of the Shingrix made he feel like crap for a few days, sore all over and it felt like I had the flu for a few days but that is still better than getting Shingles.

I was worried that the pharmacy wouldn't have the second dose when I needed it but the pharmacy told me that they give the people who need the second dose priority over people getting the first dose and that they are the exact same dose. So when you are getting the first dose you might want to see if where you are getting the first dose has the same policy.

by Anonymousreply 97August 7, 2020 2:54 PM

Just so everyone knows--the two shots are identical. R97's advice is good advice. Your pharmacy might give priority to second shots. So go back to the same place you got your first shot.

My pharmacy, since early this year, didn't seem to have any kind of shortage.

by Anonymousreply 98August 16, 2020 12:12 AM

This is really kind of weird. I didn't notice this with the first shot, but with the second, which I got two months ago--every once in a while, the site of the shot gets warm, swollen and sensitive. I've been thinking it might just be that something else is causing the sensitivity. But I had it today and tonight there is no sign of it. I don't think it's anything to worry about, just a little strange. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

by Anonymousreply 99August 18, 2020 4:26 AM

I had the two shots six months apart in December 2017 & May 2018...had pretty much all the side effects and lasted for three days...doctor mentioned my arm might be sore so I wasn’t ready for the aches/shivering etc...I dreaded getting the 2nd shot and it was just as bad on shot 2. That being said, the vaccine is supposed to be 97% effective at preventing Shingles so hopefully the six days of feeling like crap pay off....

by Anonymousreply 100August 18, 2020 4:44 AM

Had my 2nd shot this afternoon, arm’s a bit sore. Flu shot next week.

by Anonymousreply 101October 23, 2020 2:02 AM

I had a fever, my arm ached, and I felt "woozy",but by the next day, all but the sore injection site were gone.

by Anonymousreply 102October 23, 2020 2:04 AM

So many vaccines, yet still so many obese and obtuse people.

by Anonymousreply 103October 23, 2020 2:05 AM

I got what seemed like a really bad head cold with the first Shingles shot, but didn't have any side effects from the second one.

by Anonymousreply 104October 23, 2020 2:11 AM

At quick glance I read this as “Singles vaccine” and thought wow, I can guarantee being a couple with a shot now days? Disappointingly, no.

by Anonymousreply 105October 23, 2020 2:26 AM

R101, You have to wait a minimum of two weeks until you can get another vaccine, or the flu shot wont be effective.

by Anonymousreply 106October 23, 2020 7:36 AM

Had both injections and never felt a thing. No pain, no swelling...nothing. I even asked the very cute guy who injected me at CVS if I was gonna get sick and he was very judicious in his response: "You never know!"

by Anonymousreply 107October 23, 2020 9:40 AM

I had a bout with shingles 54 years ago and haven't had another outbreak since. I was considering getting the vaccine, but after OP's experience I think I'll pass.

by Anonymousreply 108October 23, 2020 9:44 AM

R106, yikes, last month I had my first Shingrix shot and my flu shot at the same time. CVS told me that that was okay.

by Anonymousreply 109October 23, 2020 11:28 AM

How weird that this thread got bumped up today. Just when I needed to see it!

I got the first shot of the Shingrix 2.5 days ago (Tuesday early evening). Within a couple of hours, I wasn't feeling great. By bedtime, I had slight fever and my arm was sore near the injection site. Didn't sleep too well that night.

Next day (Wed), the fever was steady, about 100 degree. I still felt run down and low energy and a bit nauseous . Am was still tender near the injection site and about six inches below it. Fever started coming down about 24 hours after getting the shot and was completely gone about 30 hours after getting the shot. Most of my other symptoms disappeared when the fever left, but nausea remained and arm pain was still there.

Next day, (Thurs), felt fine except for nausea and arm pain. That night, when I took a shower and looked at myself in the mirror, the six inches directly below the injection site was bright red, like that part of my arm was sunburned. That really freaked me out. I really started to worry. Arm is also still incredibly tender and painful.

However, having just stumbled upon this bumped thread, I'm feeling less stressed knowing others have had similar reactions. Although no one else described their arm being as looking sunburned.

With luck, I'll be able to report back in another day (or two) that the arm pain and sunburn in gone.

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

by Anonymousreply 110October 23, 2020 11:51 AM

[quote] I don't see a whit of intelligence in your stupid face to be face to be able to form a sentence like that,

Irony.

[quote]It almost seems a violation of a hypocratic oath or something.

[quote]By this time the pharmacist...is staring at you because they have no idea what a hypocratic oath is,

The pharmacist wouldn’t be the only one!

by Anonymousreply 111October 23, 2020 12:03 PM

Pharmacists don’t take the Hippocratic Oath.

by Anonymousreply 112October 23, 2020 12:04 PM

I had my flu shot on Wednesday. I got the Quadrivalent vaccine — the extra-strength version. For the first 24 hours I felt fine. But yesterday afternoon and evening I felt awful — as if I was coming down with the flu. I felt tired, achey, irritable, and generally very unwell. I’m better this morning, but that was rough.

I’m planning on getting the Shingrix vaccine. The pharmacist said to not plan it for at least two weeks. Damn, I hope I don’t some of the reactions described earlier in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 113October 23, 2020 12:20 PM

[quote]I felt tired, achey, irritable,

Shit, that’s a Tuesday for me.

by Anonymousreply 114October 23, 2020 12:26 PM

Last year I got the over 65 Fluzone vaccine for the first time and the next day felt like crap all day. I got this year's over 65 puncture 3 weeks ago and never had a single issue.

by Anonymousreply 115October 23, 2020 12:35 PM

R113, I had mild diarrhea and body aches after taking the shingles vaccine. My arm hurt. It was pretty much over in about three days. I took it on a Friday, which I recommend.

Believe me, that’s nothing compared to having shingles. Anybody who had it will tell you that.

by Anonymousreply 116October 23, 2020 12:59 PM

R110, that sounds like an allergic reaction.

by Anonymousreply 117October 23, 2020 1:00 PM

[quote]I had my flu shot on Wednesday.

Hmm, R113, I had my first Shingles vaccine on Wednesday, at a Sam's Club pharmacy. I took my brother there to get him a flu shot.

The guy who administered the shots looked to be in his late 20s, and built like a god. And so tall! I asked, and he said he was 6'8". Very cute.

He put one of those little barrier bandages on my shoulder and gave the injection. It felt a little warm going in, but no pain. I glanced at the clear center of the barrier bandage, and noticed that it was filling with blood. The barrier kept it from getting on my shirt. A couple of hours later I felt fatigued, and so I got ready to lay down for a nap. Removing the bandage, the blood under it hadn't coagulated; it was a bit messy. I used a sanitary wipe to clean it.

After the nap, it felt like I'd been punched in the arm. Pretty painful. Three days later, I'm still feeling it, along with lots of body aches and a general under-the-weather feeling. I've got to go back early next year and get the second shot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118October 23, 2020 1:20 PM

[quote] , I had my first Shingles vaccine on Wednesday, at a Sam's Club

When you go there to get it, do they give you the Club Size version like everything else in there or just the normal size dose?

by Anonymousreply 119October 23, 2020 1:23 PM

Ha, ha, ha UZOfunnee, r119

by Anonymousreply 120October 23, 2020 1:25 PM

R119, well the pharmacist was certainly club-sized! It was all I could do not to stare, at his shoe size, how he had to slightly duck to go through the door into the pharmacy area, etc. Reddish hair. Very muscular, almost like a body-builder. Very sweet and polite, too.

by Anonymousreply 121October 23, 2020 1:27 PM

I mentioned I was planning to get the flu shot and she (N/P) said I could do it now if I wanted. I said I’d come back next week. No mention of waiting after the Shingrex.

by Anonymousreply 122October 23, 2020 1:40 PM

I think the flu shot is pretty mild. They told me to wait before getting my MMR shot (measles mumps rubella).

by Anonymousreply 123October 23, 2020 1:44 PM

Jeez OP, I've Had shingles and I would take them over the side effects of the shot any day of the week.

by Anonymousreply 124October 23, 2020 2:51 PM

R109, You can get them at the same time because your immune system will attack both of them at the same time but if you get them separately, your system won't attack the second one as aggressively, meaning you might not get immunity from the second shot.

by Anonymousreply 125October 23, 2020 5:29 PM

I got the first shot last Saturday. My arm hurt and I felt so tired the next 2 days and I haven't been hungry all week. The pharmacist says that a lot of people say the second shot is worse

If you are going to get this vaccination you should plan to get it on a Friday evening that way you can rest during the weekend

by Anonymousreply 126November 5, 2020 10:18 PM

People have different locations and experiences of shingles. I would rather get sick from the vaccines (I didn't, though) than suffer the agony I went through. I read it is considered by doctors the 3rd worst pain a person can endure from disease or even childbirth.

by Anonymousreply 127November 5, 2020 10:21 PM

/ pain I went through with shingles, I mean, if that isn't clear above.

by Anonymousreply 128November 5, 2020 10:22 PM

I got my first Shingrix vaccine last Friday morning. There was minimal pain at the injection site. I felt tired when I got home and went to bed. Got up around 6 PM and felt so nauseated, I couldn't talk for fear I would throw up. I felt fever and chills for the next 24 hours, but the nausea mostly subsided by Saturday afternoon. I changed my Saturday night plans, though, as I wasn't sure I wasn't going to puke if I started to talk.

By Sunday, I was pretty much recovered, and by Monday, I barely remembered it. My next dose is sometime in January.

by Anonymousreply 129November 5, 2020 10:43 PM

[quote] People have different locations and experiences of shingles. I would rather get sick from the vaccines

I used to work in a pharmacy and I've seen some people with it in their eye. One little old lady looked like someone punched her in the about 3 times. There were scabs all over it. I thought someone must have attacked her, but she said it was shingles

I also had a good 63 yr old friend who in very good shape (no pre-existing conditions of any type) and he got a rash on his chest and back and it made him have such bad nerve pain that he was sick for 4 months.

by Anonymousreply 130November 6, 2020 2:06 AM

Fifty-eight-year-old here who had my 2 booster shingles shots this year. After the first in February, the second May one needed to be rescheduled due to the Covid thing until this past September. Hurt more than a flu shot -- but nowhere as much as Heparin, damn that fucker always hurts the most in the hospital!

Although the first shingles booster caused no after-effects, following my second one I definitely suddenly had a wave of headache, achiness, feeling weak, and heaviness that came on me that afternoon through early the next day. Then I went back to feeling "normal" after that..!

by Anonymousreply 131November 6, 2020 3:55 AM

Had dose #2 on Thursday.

Friday day = felt fatigued; by Friday night had a fever that kept climbing to 101.7. The fever broke early Sat. am.

Saturday - felt like I did Friday before the fever.

My father had shingles and it was pretty awful and I got the shot as soon as I could at 50.

by Anonymousreply 132December 6, 2020 8:20 AM

I had unwanted hair growth and a complete sex change as a result of the shot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133December 6, 2020 8:22 AM

I had the same reaction To the second shot. It passed in a day. Much preferable to the shingles which can be awful.

by Anonymousreply 134December 6, 2020 10:51 AM

R134.. agreed. And r133/Melania.. you're about to pass into obscurity which I think is what you want. So why not stop posting shots from your porn career?

by Anonymousreply 135December 13, 2020 4:27 AM

Why are people getting a voluntary vaccine that taxes your immune system in the middle of a pandemic? You really can't wait six months?

by Anonymousreply 136December 13, 2020 5:57 AM

I had the shingrix vax and the flu shot on the same day. Next day I felt like shit with a low grade fever and the typical flu feelings. The next day I felt completely normal. I like that fact that felt bad because that means it's working, I have HIV with a below normal CD4 count and I had a robust immune response so I'm happy.

by Anonymousreply 137December 13, 2020 6:07 AM

I had the first shot last weekend and had no reaction at all, thankfully.

by Anonymousreply 138December 13, 2020 6:43 AM

I had first of two shots this past Wednesday. My arm is still sore but I have felt fine otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 139December 13, 2020 7:09 AM

Take it from someone who had shingles, had the old vaccine and had both shots of the second vaccine (and had a negative reaction).

The negative reaction was nowhere near as bad as the shingles were.

And my shingles, on the face, were relatively mild compared to the experiences of my friends who had it on the torso,

And you might be surprised at how common shingles is. If you're old like me, either you are vaccinated or you'll get shingles.

Though as I understand, there are a lot of stupid people who won't vaccinate against anything .. So I guess it's too bad that shingles isn't fatal.

by Anonymousreply 140December 14, 2020 3:39 AM

Babysit a kid with chickenpox. You get enough exposure that your body makes antibodies again and keeps shingles in remission and you also don't get chickenpox. It's why shingles wasn't really a thing until they started keeping kids from getting chickenpox and grandma stopped watching the kids while they were sick while mom and dad worked.

by Anonymousreply 141December 14, 2020 3:42 AM

I had chickenpox as a kid and got shingles in my 50s.

by Anonymousreply 142December 14, 2020 3:43 AM

They're the same virus. That's why regularly babysitting the sick kids keeps you from getting shingles later in life.

by Anonymousreply 143December 14, 2020 3:48 AM

Yup. So here's how it goes: you get chicken pox when you are a kid, and you don't have to face the virus for 30-50 years. Then then it comes back as shingles. Babysit kids with chickenpox, you catch the virus, and then, 30-50 years later the virus re-emerges as shingles. Duh! Just because you imagined you babysat kids with chickenpox last week doesn't mean you're not going to get shingles when you're an adult.

by Anonymousreply 144December 14, 2020 4:02 AM

R141 Needs to die in a grease fire

by Anonymousreply 145December 14, 2020 4:07 AM

The same virus is responsible for chickenpox and shingles. As a child, you get the feeling like itchy crapfest. As an adult, 30-50 years later, you get shingles if you do not regularly care for kids who have chickenpox. When you care for kids who have chickenpox (as was the norm for most adults through the 80s or so), your body recognizes their illness, fires up an immune response and you not only don't get chickenpox, it beats the virus back into submission for a time as well. Which leads to the adult also not getting shingles. This is why grandparents and older parents only got shingles very, very rarely until after they stopped being the de facto babysitters and kids started getting chickenpox vaccines.

by Anonymousreply 146December 14, 2020 4:31 AM

Fascinating

by Anonymousreply 147December 14, 2020 4:56 AM

So, the result is, if you had chickenpox as a kid, you probably want the shingles vaccine. I you babysat kids with chickenpox, you can take your chances and risk getting shingles. If neither, well, then you can risk getting chickenpox or shingles.

Having gone through a mild case of shingles, I can't imagine not getting the vaccine. Getting shingles does nothing to preclude you from getting it again.

by Anonymousreply 148December 19, 2020 1:47 AM

Got my second Shingrix today, along with flu. No side effects, except soreness. Do it, y’all! Shingles are excruciating, from everything I’ve read and heard.

by Anonymousreply 149December 19, 2020 1:49 AM

R140

What does it feel like? Does it burn? Sharp ache? Dull?

by Anonymousreply 150December 19, 2020 1:50 AM

A friend had a mild Covid case until she started with pain on her back and side. The MD told her the covid on her body activated the shingles, fun times.

by Anonymousreply 151December 19, 2020 2:06 AM

R150 The shingles on my face, as I recall, was a deep-seated itchy/burn feeling. It centered around my eye, which got quite swollen. The first symptom was the itchy feeling that seemed to come from inside my sinuses and I thought, at first it was a sinus infection. Then my forehead started to swell, and, not knowing that it was anything serious, I'd scratch it a lot, so when I ended up with a line of scratches there, I didn't think anything. When I saw a doctor about my "sinus infection" she saw the line of scratches and immediate knew what was up. My eye hadn't swollen yet. She recognized that I had been scratching along a nerve.

Years later, the "reaction" I had to the second Shingrix shot was just a prolonged swelling and itch/burn at the site of the injection. Funny thing was that, a month later, I could still feel it. Meanwhile, the actual shingles only took a few days to get over. Like I say, from my experiences, I would never choose not to get the vaccine. And my case was mild because it covered a small (although vulnerable) part of the body.

by Anonymousreply 152December 19, 2020 4:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!