Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: Stunning Mediterrean Revival Villa in Lafayette Square on the Market

I kind of like it, but perhaps it's a little bland. Is it worth the $1,995,000 price tag?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 30, 2020 1:02 AM

I think it's horrid.

by Anonymousreply 1May 29, 2020 6:31 AM

The rooms look huge & full of natural light, & I love some of the bright colours. But, after using street view to see the area, I found it really unappealing. Plus I could never afford it.

by Anonymousreply 2May 29, 2020 6:32 AM

I misspelled Mediterranean. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 3May 29, 2020 7:04 AM

Devoid of charm.

by Anonymousreply 4May 29, 2020 7:58 AM

I like it a lot. The exterior is very nice and the interior is bright and spacious, detailing is spared but well used. The plan works well for me.

The living room (photos 5-6) has a dado if applied mouldings that looks later and out of character. I would probably get rid of it or even replace it in antique Spanish tile. The furnishings are too characterless and colorless for a house that's a bit of a blank slate in most rooms. Good antique Spanish furniture (27th, 28th Century) is easy to find in the U.S.; that mixed with some modern pieces would look great and suit the architecture. The kitchen looks dull but it'd because there's nothing in it; it's a nice space. Dining room is great. The barrel vaulted ceilings and circulations spaces are very nice. It really only needs a change of furniture and maybe paint in a couple of overly psint-effected rooms.

I'm not s pool man but the pool looks a bit concrete pad basic, again it's in part because there's little there now.

I don't like the neighborhood; it's odd and underplayed and a bit too Baby Jane Hudson.

Refurnished, less the carpeting, and with barely any money spend on the architecture it could be a beautiful house inside and out.

by Anonymousreply 5May 29, 2020 8:09 AM

Nope. It doesn’t flow well and the outside walls could do with a lick of paint. Next!

by Anonymousreply 6May 29, 2020 8:55 AM

Love it! A veritable bargain for LA. The white fixtures in the kitchen have to go, and a deck looks like it's in really poor condition, which makes you wonder about issues in the rest of the house. Keep the rugs and agree with the poster above about bringing in furniture and decor with a mix of antique Spanish and modern touches.

by Anonymousreply 7May 29, 2020 10:27 AM

Looking again this time not on a phone, I hate the brown patterned title in the center hall (and small dining area behind); it's a really ugly color and not a great pattern. I'd have to replace that and get rid of the wall-to-wall carpet that runs up the main stairs to the center hall. On the exterior, I'd paint the woodwork but never the stucco which looks great as is. Like most American front yards it bares its ass to the world; it needs a clipped hedge or wall to separate the sidewalk from the private property, and a wrought iron gate.

For onceI don't object to the term "bonus room" because here the stand alone space (not just a bedroom without a closet or a store room as usually the case) is not a room of obvious specific purpose but one adaptable to its owners' needs.

All small things that wouldn't give me any hesitation if I were a prospective buyer. I think with some very small changes and proper furnishings it's a very fine house.

by Anonymousreply 8May 29, 2020 10:29 AM

The bad paint colors can be repainted but the problematic bathroom situation is not easily addressed. The one bathroom on the main level is all the way in the back, through the maid’s room (in fact is the maid’s bathroom); no powder room for guests to use easily. And upstairs, there are only two Jack and Jill bathrooms to be shared by five bedrooms. Not good.

by Anonymousreply 9May 29, 2020 1:31 PM

[quote]palladium windows

Oh, dear. Does Sotheby's not have a little architectural literacy test for its affiliate agents?

by Anonymousreply 10May 29, 2020 1:48 PM

Like the size and shape of the house.

Exterior looks cheap, like a shabby and rushed TLC home makeover show ran out of budget on the faux finish concept.

There are some weird and cheap design design decisions.

- The master bedroom shares the bathroom with another bedroom? Who would want that?

- The weird little "dining area" next to and separated from the kitchen when there appears to be a full dining room

- covered sunroom at the front of the house in front of the dining room

- although there is a maid's room and a bathroom attached to it with access through the laundry room, as well, it seems like you'd want a more accessible w/c downstairs for guests.

- the second bathroom upstairs wastes a lot of space by giving access to the bedroom. They should close off the access and get rid of the hall closets and expand the bathroom to create a larger bathroom that has an enclosed toilet and separates the sink from the shower/bathtub so that if you have kids sharing, multiple people can use it without being held hostage. Also, add double sinks since 3 bedrooms would be sharing it. Add back a linen closet.

by Anonymousreply 11May 29, 2020 2:05 PM

The neighborhood at the street level looks OK - can some Los Angelenos inform us about the area? It's just north of Crenshaw, so I can't imagine it's actually very nice.

There are iron gates on these streets off of Venice Blvd???? Public streets have gates??

It's not professionally decorated - great rooms, but they went cheap in a lot of areas. Gorgeous, but needs some work - and I'm a bit iffy about the area?

by Anonymousreply 12May 29, 2020 2:06 PM

R12 Not a bad neighborhood but not great either. I wouldn't feel unsafe but I wouldn't wanna live there. I think the house has nice bones but those electric and phone wires in the back are definitely a deal-breaker.

by Anonymousreply 13May 29, 2020 2:13 PM

[quote]The master bedroom shares the bathroom with another bedroom? Who would want that?

I agree. I expect the current owner's agree. You can keep the door locked, then, or close it over; or maybe keep the door and use the other bedroom as a nursery.

Not every 5 bedroom house has to have five rooms used as bedrooms. You don't have to hire a live-in maid to occupy the "maid's room", nor dine in "dining area" or eat in the "dining room," nor enjoy your annual bonus in the "bonus room." You could make use of the "family room" even if had none. Of course some rooms lend themselves to one thing more than to another but if it's your house, you can use the rooms as they make sense to you, but think of the assigned names on a floor plan as suggestions not requirements.

For people who want a house with five bedrooms each with an en suite bathroom, and who think that walking to the back of the first floor and through a laundry room to find a w/c is primitive, it's definitely a bad pick, I can understand. For me, I don't mind sending guests to find the w/c, through the laundry room or upstairs; and if the guests mind that's for them to worry about. Bathrooms are where they are in historic houses, and the way I live I'd rather have a nice big house with a few bathrooms squeezed in as an afterthought than the current taste for a luxurious display of bathrooms with a few rooms squeezed in between them.

by Anonymousreply 14May 29, 2020 2:32 PM

I've seen a place like that before.

by Anonymousreply 15May 29, 2020 2:47 PM

It's looks like a place where the old owner finally died. It has been poorly maintained (look at the paint, tile and age of the fixtures) and the place is obviously staged with cheap furniture.

But if it's a good price for the house or even the land and you're got the money, it's an opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 16May 29, 2020 2:49 PM

R14 -- please learn English punctuation and grammar.

by Anonymousreply 17May 29, 2020 2:55 PM

Why do people in California have such horrid taste?

Mrs. Pennington-Smythe, Darien Connecticut

by Anonymousreply 18May 29, 2020 2:57 PM

It’s a weird neighborhood, great architectural stock but just south of it is really bad neighborhoods. Not very much in nice restaurants or shopping. I would never live in the neighborhood. That part of Venice Boulevard is just fast food and autobody shops. I’m sure someday the entire area will become gentrified someday because of the good architecture but right now there’s no amenities. I would think a person that can afford a $2 million house would want to live in a neighborhood that had more going for it

by Anonymousreply 19May 29, 2020 5:34 PM

FYI. - It’s in the same neighborhood as the “Murder House” in American Horror Story.

by Anonymousreply 20May 29, 2020 5:39 PM

[quote] great architectural stock

Are you fucking serious?

by Anonymousreply 21May 29, 2020 6:24 PM

The house next door is very, very close - no privacy.

by Anonymousreply 22May 29, 2020 10:19 PM

Hate brown and yellow.

by Anonymousreply 23May 29, 2020 10:30 PM

It’s a low-ceilinged box with a few faux architectural details awkwardly pasted on.

by Anonymousreply 24May 29, 2020 10:32 PM

No a/c, needs a new kitchen, weird layout and lots of wasted space (which was normal when it was built, granted) no powder room, and the Jack and Jill bathrooms upstairs are an issue, as is the neighborhood so no thanks.

Love the paneling in the dining room, though.

by Anonymousreply 25May 29, 2020 11:38 PM

R21. Yes I’m serious, there’s some great looking houses in that area in various states of disarray. But the neighborhood sucks. What’s your point?

by Anonymousreply 26May 30, 2020 12:33 AM

It's a lovely house but in want of new paint and flooring. The carpet upstairs is especially bad. I like the room sizes and natural light. The furniture is questionable, a lot of it looks cheap. My grandma has that dining room set.

What caught my eye that I really don't like is the cook top on a peninsula with bar stools right there. I see that on TV design shows. No way would I want to dine right next to a cook top. I hate cook tops on islands, too. They need to be up against a back splash because of the heat and spatter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 30, 2020 1:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!