Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Last Movie You Watched?

And what did you think of it?

I rewatched Polyester for the umpteenth time. It's not my favorite by John Waters, but Divine is so good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229August 25, 2020 2:32 PM

Edith Massey was also wonderful in this.

by Anonymousreply 1May 29, 2020 12:44 AM

Le Samourai starring Alain Delon. I enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 2May 29, 2020 12:46 AM

The Assistant. New movie with Julia Garner, assistant to an unseen and unnamed but very "present" boss based on obviously on Harvey Weinstein. Very well done movie but definitely a "procedural", i.e., this is what that job is actually like, being an assistant to a bigshot movie producer. Recommended.

by Anonymousreply 3May 29, 2020 12:50 AM

"The Lovebirds" with Issa Rae and Kumail Nanjiani. Silly, fun movie. I enjoyed it.

Last week we watched every Kurosawa film TCM showed a few months ago. Favorites were "High and Low" and Red Beard".

by Anonymousreply 4May 29, 2020 12:52 AM

Troma's WAR on Shudder. It's a rough hewn satire on the 'America, fuck yeah!' mentality of the 80's. I LOL'd at the AID's jokes but my partner did not and we had to have a discussion about transgressive comedy. I wouldn't recommend the movie unless that kind of humor works for you.

by Anonymousreply 5May 29, 2020 12:57 AM

I have a few of the original scratch and sniff cards for Polyester somewhere. I'm a regular Francine Fishpaw always smelling something awful in our loft that my husband can't smell!

by Anonymousreply 6May 29, 2020 12:57 AM

I watched Gone With The Wind for the first time today, I know I know, what the hell is wrong with me? I really enjoyed it. Not sure what Scarlett saw in Ashley Wilkes though.

by Anonymousreply 7May 29, 2020 1:07 AM

I watched that the other day R2. Also enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 8May 29, 2020 1:07 AM

Candyman rewatch

by Anonymousreply 9May 29, 2020 1:10 AM

I watched "Sisters" last night (on my VCR! I apparently dubbed it off TV years ago). I like the combo of horror and black, black comedy. And Margot Kidder's performance was awesome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 29, 2020 1:18 AM

Parasite. Liked it a lot though it didn't strike me as a Best Picture Award Winner.

But I didn't see all the nominees so my opinion is worthless, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 11May 29, 2020 1:22 AM

r11: I saw Parasite last year. I think it was vastly overpraised and am not sure why it won. It's a grim movie that's very schematic--and predictable. Everybody (critics) thought it was cool to jump on that bandwagon--first South Korean movie, the director having great festival circuit and art house reputation from previous films. I thought his earlier film called "Mother" or the Mother was better.

by Anonymousreply 12May 29, 2020 2:01 AM

SEBERG.

I don’t think Our Jean lived as opulent a lifestyle as was shown. And Kristen Stewart has a kind of jaded, snakey characteristic which doesn’t match the sunshiny, wholesome flavor the film’s subject gave off. The film also rushes through her breakdown, whiteout exploring it much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 29, 2020 2:13 AM

Layer Cake - It's one of my favorite movies.

by Anonymousreply 14May 29, 2020 2:26 AM

I watched Seberg too. Kind of made me want to pack up my television and store it in the attic.

by Anonymousreply 15May 29, 2020 3:28 AM

^^ because it might be bugged?

by Anonymousreply 16May 29, 2020 4:20 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 29, 2020 4:32 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 29, 2020 4:34 AM

Rocketman.

Eh.

by Anonymousreply 19May 29, 2020 4:39 AM

Big.

It was alright.

by Anonymousreply 20May 29, 2020 5:01 AM

Pink Flamingos for the second time. I loved it this time. Although Ive always loved Female Trouble and Multiple Maniacs I didn’t like Pink Flamingos too much the first time I saw it.

by Anonymousreply 21May 29, 2020 5:14 AM

I like "Polyester" too, although it lacks the manic edge of "Female Trouble". The title song, wistfully sung by Tab Hunter, makes me a little sad now that I'm having to live in the suburbs again after decades away. "Polyester, this is your life"...

I watched "The Invisible Guest" on Netflix, a tricky and far-fetched Spanish thriller that owes a lot to "The Usual Suspects".

by Anonymousreply 22May 29, 2020 6:00 AM

I've been on a Kurt Russell kick lately. Last movie I watched completely through was "The One snd Only Genuine Original Family Band". Not so great but it's fine. Also has Buddy Ebsen, Walter Brennan, Janet Blair, Leslie Ann Warren, John Davidson, and in the chorus, Goldie Hawn.

by Anonymousreply 23May 29, 2020 8:10 AM

[quote]I saw Parasite last year. I think it was vastly overpraised and am not sure why it won. It's a grim movie that's very schematic--and predictable. Everybody (critics) thought it was cool to jump on that bandwagon--first South Korean movie, the director having great festival circuit and art house reputation from previous films. I thought his earlier film called "Mother" or the Mother was better.

Wow, different strokes, no one I know thought it was predictable at all, that's what made it unique. No one saw that turn in the middle. And "Mother" was basically unwatchable and was a major flop.

by Anonymousreply 24May 29, 2020 8:11 AM

1917. Thought it was a great film.

by Anonymousreply 25May 29, 2020 8:50 AM

Just watched Black Mass on IFC. Awful performances. The Departed was a much better Whitey Bulger movie.

by Anonymousreply 26May 29, 2020 9:00 AM

Knives out and I liked it.

by Anonymousreply 27May 29, 2020 9:06 AM

I'm sorry R12 not the thread to question anyone's choices.

by Anonymousreply 28May 29, 2020 1:34 PM

Watched Hustlers last night because Showtime is free for us here this month. It wasn't that good - and Jennifer Lopez was just being Jenny from the Block in her Bronx way. Her being a dancer/stripper from the Bronx isn't exactly a huge stretch.

It was a very interesting (and true) story - the screenplay was almost verbatim from the original article.

But why JLo was praised and won all of these film festival awards was head-scratching. It's like when Sarah Palin would get kudos for giving an intelligible speech because it wasn't as bad as we expected.

by Anonymousreply 29May 29, 2020 2:24 PM

Thunder Road. Saw it when it first came out then found it again on Netflix. It's both heartbreaking and funny and one of my favourite films of the last few years.

by Anonymousreply 30May 29, 2020 2:43 PM

Happy Death Day.

Enjoyable enough Groundhog Day meets Scream flick and Jessica Rothe gives a great performance.

by Anonymousreply 31May 29, 2020 2:59 PM

Murder on the Orient Express, the 1974 version. A dazzling international cast, a good mystery (even if you know the ending), lots of sly humour, and Albert Finney as Hercule Poirot — I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 32May 29, 2020 2:59 PM

^^ Tony Walton, its production/costume designer who primarily does theater, is a genius. The look of that film is amazing.

I read a very long interview with him in a book once - maybe it was on costume design? It was fascinatinng - just interesting technical stuff, like how one of the fabrics for Jacqueline Bisset’s dresses was taking forever to arrive, and finally they had to create their own by using some “potato stamp” method in an existing cloth.

I wish I could remember which book that was!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 29, 2020 4:40 PM

^^ ON an existing cloth (of course)

by Anonymousreply 34May 29, 2020 4:46 PM

I think this is the fabric they created. The print embellishment is very subtle (you have to zoom in to notice it)... but that’s perfect for a mystery, where things aren’t exactly as they seem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 29, 2020 5:35 PM

Too Late for Tears (1949)

Lizabeth Scott is great as an evil, greedy bitch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 29, 2020 6:02 PM

Splendor in the Grass (1961) directed by Elia Kazan, with Warren Beatty and Natalie Wood. Wonderful coming of age film.

by Anonymousreply 37May 29, 2020 6:05 PM

Night of the Hunter. Evelyn Varden’s overacting drove me crazy.

by Anonymousreply 38May 29, 2020 6:12 PM

Meatballs, which surprisingly still holds up after 40 years (thanks to Bill Murray).

by Anonymousreply 39May 29, 2020 6:22 PM

Flower Drum Song...I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 40May 29, 2020 6:40 PM

[quote]R37 Splendor in the Grass (1961)

I always think of that tearjerker as SPLENDOR UP THE ASS

by Anonymousreply 41May 29, 2020 6:43 PM

Flower of my Secret: Pedro Almodóvar. Not my favorite but still enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 42May 29, 2020 7:06 PM

The Legend of Lylah Clare, a 1967 howler with Kim Novak as a wannabe actress (typecasting) who is the spitting image of a Garbo-like star who died in an "accident," Peter Finch as an egomaniac Svengali-ish director, Coral Browne as a bitchy columnist (more typecasting), and Ernest Borgnine yelling a lot as a studio chief (even more typecasting). Plus Rosella Falk as Finch's lesbian assistant with a secret..

Pure camp catnip.

by Anonymousreply 43May 29, 2020 7:48 PM

I had to think about this because I haven't seen a movie in weeks since I've been binging on TV series.

But it's Red Joan, which I liked a lot.

R31, the sequel - Happy Death Day 2U - is just as enjoyable as the first movie.

by Anonymousreply 44May 29, 2020 8:03 PM

I finally saw Joker and as a long time admirer of Joaquin Phoenix I'm glad he finally won an Oscar. I'm sure it won't be his last, he's incredibly talented.

by Anonymousreply 45May 29, 2020 8:16 PM

I saw JOKER a few weeks ago - I don’t see how it has any interest to anyone not invested in that franchise.

The ending’s completely anticlimactic.

by Anonymousreply 46May 29, 2020 9:25 PM

R43 Thanks for reminding me I dvdr'd that! It looks so ridiculous-can't wait!

by Anonymousreply 47May 29, 2020 11:37 PM

The Killers, from 1946, starring Burt Lancaster and Ava Gardner. I liked it, but the whole story being told via flashbacks got old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48May 30, 2020 1:20 AM

The Lodge. Good ending!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49May 30, 2020 1:31 AM

[quote] I thought his earlier film called "Mother" or the Mother was better.

I agree with the poster who said Mother (Madeo) was GREAT. I think you're thinking of Mother!, which was the flop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 30, 2020 1:33 AM

Sorry I quoted the wrong post and mine didn't make any sense. I was replying to this:

[quote] And "Mother" was basically unwatchable and was a major flop.

by Anonymousreply 51May 30, 2020 1:36 AM

The new "Emma" and it was pretty much just "meh" for me, dawg.

by Anonymousreply 52May 30, 2020 2:19 AM

Booksmart. I really loved it and I’m an old.

by Anonymousreply 53May 30, 2020 2:33 AM

R33 and R35, I was remiss in not mentioning Tony Walton. The costumes were a visual feast.

by Anonymousreply 54May 30, 2020 2:36 AM

Jiminy CHRISTMAS, r54 ... he designed the whole [italic]production[/italic]- like, everything you SEE! The train cars, the curtains, practically the steam coming out of the smoke stack! Not just the costumes.

Now I am REALLY in a snit. Someone bring me a macaroon!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 30, 2020 6:42 AM

And No, I will [italic]not[/italic] calm down!

Tony Walton gave you BEAUTIFUL sets, and you treat them like some dishrag, you do!

by Anonymousreply 56May 30, 2020 6:45 AM

R56, mon petit chou, calm yourself. Tony Walton is a god. A FUCKING GOD.

Now have some macarons, I have no macaroons - they're those weird coconutty things.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 30, 2020 8:45 AM

Star Wars: The Last Skywalker

I did not care for it.

by Anonymousreply 58May 30, 2020 2:49 PM

[quote]r57 mon petit chou, calm yourself. Tony Walton is a god. A FUCKING GOD. Now have some macarons, I have no macaroons.

Thank you! The kindly deliciousness of your macarons did the trick, and my blood sugar has returned to normal.

[italic](patting out skirts on my tuffet)[/italic]

Our Tony is indeed the best of the best, and we are in awe of his conceptions, and attention to detail. I'm attaching an interview with him, which is at least something, even though I wish his approaches and techniques were better documented. One thing he says at the end is a way to come up with a look for a show is to wittle its qualities down... to first elimanate what wouldn't be in accord with the inherent spirit of the show.

[quote]"I think in a way it's almost a sort negativity; see what 'noes' you can find. You start out listening to the music, or absorbing it in what ever way you can - and say to yourself, 'Well, this is not...green, or whatever. This is not "prickly." This is somehow...soft. And smooth.' Try to find the things it isn't, and wittle it down to what's left."

That's quite interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59May 30, 2020 9:08 PM

The Scar (1948), a film noir w/ Paul Henreid and Joan Bennett. The story is kind of preposterous, and I've never really liked Henreid, but it's still entertaining.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 3, 2020 7:44 PM

The last 3

1. Niagara - Marilyn Monroe as the unfaithful and murder minded wife, Joseph Cotten as her damaged husband, Jean Peters as the innocent bystander who becomes involved. Oh, yes, and great shots of Niagara Falls with a wowsa finish. I've seen it before, but I still like it.

2. All Through The Night - 1942 NYC Gambler Humphrey Bogart vs the Nazis. With Conrad Veidt as the Nazi. Jane Darwell as Bogart's Irish mother, his gang Frank McHugh, William Demarest, Jackie Gleason, Phil Silvers, Wallace Ford, and Barton MacLane. Peter Lorre and Judith Anderson fill out the Nazi team It opens with the Broadway gang discussing military tactics with toy soldiers. And ends with Bogart foiling a dastardly Nazi plot.

3. Star Trek The Wrath of Khan. I hadn't watched it in years. Holds up well.

by Anonymousreply 61June 3, 2020 10:09 PM

Niagara is a visually beautiful movie. I think Marilyn was at her peak of beauty in that film as well.

by Anonymousreply 62June 3, 2020 10:12 PM

Knives Out. More entertaining than I expected, and I expected it would be very entertaining.

IMO, Hollywood needs more star-studded ensemble films.

by Anonymousreply 63June 3, 2020 10:23 PM

R55, your snit is entirely justified and I am duly chastised. There’s nothing left for me but to hang my head in shame, locomote myself to the nearest seashore and throw myself off a cliff into the swirling vortex below.

by Anonymousreply 64June 3, 2020 10:35 PM

I watched "Interiors" last night. "Behind every sick psyche is a sick spirit".

by Anonymousreply 65June 3, 2020 11:10 PM

I watched parts of that Skywalker movie again and I didn’t understand it anymore than I did the first time.

by Anonymousreply 66June 3, 2020 11:19 PM

The entire "Disney Trilogy" is a mess, R66. Starts off weak and goes downhill from there.

by Anonymousreply 67June 3, 2020 11:20 PM

It’s been a month so I had to search my memory a bit. It was The Lodge, a psychological horror movie. It was pretty good. I won’t say why but I think a lot of DLers will find it to be delicious.

by Anonymousreply 68June 3, 2020 11:32 PM

I watched the first half of "The Trip to Greece," the 4th and last in the "Trip" series with Steve Coogan and Rob Bryden. The formula has gotten old and they were much nastier to each other (or Bryden was nastier to Coogan, who seemed as if he was just going through the motions so he could pick up his check). I loved the first one, and maybe the second (Trip to Italy) but this was so blah that I stopped watching and don't want to pay again to watch the rest (rented on Amazon). Greece was pretty and the food looked good. Really don't recommend but do at least see the first one (The Trip--they go to the Lake Country of England) if you haven't. I'm sure it's free somewhere on Amazon or Netflix. The food is always fabulous to look at, and they are both very good at imitating famous voices. When you first hear Bryden's "small man in a box" routine, it's pretty hysterical--I guess he was already well known in the UK for this strange voice (it's impossible to figure out how he does it).

by Anonymousreply 69June 4, 2020 12:32 AM

Documentary THE CENTRAL PARK 5

Disgusting that the young men are still having to battle their lawsuit for compensation, when it's now clear they were railroaded into giving false confessions. But the police and the D.A. still refuse to acknowledge anything was done wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70June 4, 2020 12:41 AM

‘Everybody Poops: The Musical..” Very moving.

by Anonymousreply 71June 4, 2020 12:46 AM

Here's a list of all the feature films I've seen, starting with the most recent one. Currently that would be A Single Girl, a boring French drama. I rated it 4/10. I'd rate it higher if it weren't for that godawful and pointless epilogue scene. But Virginie Ledoyen sure looked gorgeous in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72June 4, 2020 2:27 AM

Casper (1995). Cathy Moriarty is such a great villain.

by Anonymousreply 73June 4, 2020 2:31 AM

[quote]The formula has gotten old and they were much nastier to each other (or Bryden was nastier to Coogan, who seemed as if he was just going through the motions so he could pick up his check).

I bowed out after 30 minutes, and fast forwarded to the end. I'll go back to watch eventually, because I want to find the scene where Bryden says he went too far in insulting Coogan.

Question: Much of the series is you and Steve ribbing one another. Obviously you’re friends in real life, but from the very start, it’s an awkward on-screen relationship. Did the insults ever cross a line or get too personal?

Bryden: ...There was a moment in the Greece series, at the restaurant at Perea at an indoor restaurant near some boats. It’s where we talk about Marathon Man and Steve having a heart attack. I said something to him that he wasn’t happy with, and I think we had to stop for a little bit. But then it’s forgotten about.

Last movie I watched was "Capone". Horrible film and Tom Hardy is becoming a caricature of himself.

by Anonymousreply 74June 4, 2020 2:44 AM

"The V.I.Ps" from 1963.

Ensemble cast of actors play characters at London's airport awaiting their flights delayed by fog. Main stars are Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. Also Louis Jourdan, Orson Welles, Elsa Martinelli, Rod Taylor, Maggie Smith, Linda Christian and the superbly funny performance by Margaret Rutherford which was to win her the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress.

Screenplay by Terence Rattigan. Supposedly based on the real life events when Vivien Leigh planned to leave husband Laurence Olivier for actor Peter Finch. The pair's plane was delayed by fog, allowing Olivier to stop them at the airport.

One of those films cutting back and forth among multiple characters and their stories. Rutherford is a delight in each of her scenes and is a please to watch.

Her Oscar win was very popular as you can tell by the applause given especially for her when the nominees are announced.. Peter Ustinov accepted the Oscar for Rutherford.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75June 4, 2020 3:38 AM

^ should be "pleasure to watch"

by Anonymousreply 76June 4, 2020 3:39 AM

THE GOOD LIAR with McKellan and Mirren. Pretty good - if contrived - until the 4th act reveal where the film comes to a complete halt to deliver a long back story. Clumsy storytelling, which you wouldn't expect from Bill Condon.

by Anonymousreply 77June 4, 2020 8:15 PM

I have a vague memory of seeing the VIPs in a theater years ago and that it was ridiculously bad. But I do love Margaret Rutherford, so maybe I should watch it again just for her.

by Anonymousreply 78June 6, 2020 12:34 AM

R78, your memory is good. The movie is pretty bad.

But Margaret Rutherford shines.

And with each succeeding appearance of her character in the movie, as she deals with the airport, plane, stewardess, seatbelt, delays, hotel, etc., are gently and amusingly hilarious. I'd love to link to some of the scenes but don't want to spoil it for anyone who might want to watch it. And each of her reactions to each encounter and delay build and build on her character til the final delight.

I did like Maggie Smith saving the day for Aussie Rod Taylor too.

by Anonymousreply 79June 6, 2020 12:40 AM

I just finished The V.I.P.s. Pretty bad, but I did enjoy Rutherford's scenes. I could watch a whole movie with just her trying to save her house.

Also, I've never seen a Richard Burton performance that I really liked. He always managed to be stiff and overwrought at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 80June 8, 2020 4:07 PM

I watched "A Little Romance" on TCM yesterday.

It was Diane Lane's first movie (she was just 13), and she was adorable in it. Theolonius Bernard, who played her crush, was also cute as hell. And Laurence Olivier was magnificent, as usual.

The ending me had me in a heap of tears. It's such a beautiful film about the purity and innocence of first love. One of my favorites!

by Anonymousreply 81June 8, 2020 4:12 PM

Grease - Sing a long edition

by Anonymousreply 82June 8, 2020 4:13 PM

This morning on TCM..."Tarzan and the Valley of Gold" with Mike Henry. I needed a Muse to inspire me to jack-off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83June 8, 2020 4:18 PM

Desperate Living - I see a strong parallel to life in the USA these days. Kind of hoping for a similar outcome!

by Anonymousreply 84June 8, 2020 4:22 PM

Hair and Serial Mom

by Anonymousreply 85June 8, 2020 4:26 PM

R85...just for you

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86June 8, 2020 4:32 PM

R86

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87June 8, 2020 4:39 PM

I watched Afternoon Delight with Katherine Hahn and Juno Temple. Jill Soloway wrote end directed. I liked it. Was inspired by her own late in life becoming a lesbian. She is non-binary now. It’s worth a look. Hahn in luminous

by Anonymousreply 88June 8, 2020 5:01 PM

I watched "The Half of It" -- the new film on Netflix -- last night.

I had no idea what to expect, but I was delightful.

Extremely well written.

by Anonymousreply 89June 8, 2020 5:34 PM

50 Shades of Grey, for the second time. There's something super fascinating about the whole thing, and particularly about Christian Grey. I've actually listened to the audiobook and then the Grey-version as well, which is basically the same book written from Christian's perspective. The film is well-made and I just basically enjoy watching it.

The sexiest thing about the whole thing is imagining Christian getting it on with his bodyguard Taylor. I've even had a wank or two over them.

The sequels are boring, both the novels and the movies. I've been unable to finish the last ones in the trilogy. I don't really give a shit about Ana, although I like her in the film. It's all about Christian for me, since he's sort of my spirit animal, messed up in very familiar ways.

by Anonymousreply 90June 8, 2020 5:56 PM

What We Do in the Shadows. Loved it.

by Anonymousreply 91June 8, 2020 8:40 PM

Finally watched Call Me By Your Name

by Anonymousreply 92June 8, 2020 8:44 PM

R92 what did you make of it?

by Anonymousreply 93June 8, 2020 8:49 PM

"I'm not your negro", I know it's not a feature film, but documentaries count, right?

by Anonymousreply 94June 8, 2020 9:04 PM

The Goldfinch - Read the book years ago and finally saw the movie. It was almost good, but they couldn't squeeze that whole damn book into a cohesive movie. Kidman was truly perfect as the uptight wasp mom, but Ansel Englesnort or whatever his name is can't act his way out of a paper bag and ruined the whole thing for me. Jeffrey Wright also just kind of sleepwalks though the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 95June 8, 2020 9:21 PM

Saw Hotel Artemis the other night. I hate to say this but Jodie Foster as a shriveled old bitch was sooo fabulous. The movie was alot of fun, very violent and some plot nonsense, but kind of light hearted too

by Anonymousreply 96June 8, 2020 9:23 PM

Freeway (1996). Loved it. A twisted reimagining of Little red Riding Hood where he says character gets lost on the i-5 freeway and meets Kiefer, the Big bad Wolf.

I think this is Reese Witherspoon's best film. Check it out if you like twisted shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97June 8, 2020 10:43 PM

Official Secrets - British whistlebower Katharine Gun. Keira Knightley, Ralph Fiennes. I liked it.

by Anonymousreply 98June 9, 2020 3:00 AM

Footloose Heiress, 1937, starring Ann Sheridan and Craig Reynolds last night. It was a comedy and very entertaining. I checked it out on IMDB because I was struck with the handsome Mr. Reynolds, having never heard of him before. He worked a lot in the 20s-30s before serving in WWII. Sadly, he was killed in a motorcycle at only 42 in 1949. He was married to an actress, Barbara Pepper, who later got fat and was a good friends with Lucille Ball. Ann Sheridan died at 51 of cancer. They were both charming in the film, sad they died so young.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99June 9, 2020 4:24 AM

Barbara pepper young, circa early 1930s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100June 9, 2020 4:25 AM

Barbara Pepper on Green Acres. She worked a lot with Lucy, too. Never remarried after Reynolds died. She died at age 54 from coronary thrombosis (blood clot).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101June 9, 2020 4:32 AM

The hot and handsome Mr. Craig Reynolds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102June 9, 2020 4:34 AM

[quote] Tony Walton is a god. A FUCKING GOD.

That's what I said after our wedding night!

What I CERTAINLY did not say was, "Well, Carol did that much more masterfully," which you may have scurrilously heard!

by Anonymousreply 103June 9, 2020 5:31 AM

R97 I haven't heard of this before, but now I really want to watch it. Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 104June 9, 2020 6:38 AM

"See No Evil, Hear No Evil"

I know I liked it as a kid, but couldn't remember any of the scenes.

It was just what I needed-a funny break from reality. I need entertainment that won't make me think or feel for awhile.

Richard Pryor was great at physical humor that wasn't over the top silly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105June 9, 2020 7:14 AM

R98, that was an excellent film. Terrific acting

by Anonymousreply 106June 9, 2020 11:40 AM

I watched the new documentary on Showgirls that came out today called You Don’t Nomi. It’s worth a watch for fans of the movie. Very funny and insightful commentary.

by Anonymousreply 107June 9, 2020 11:54 AM

The most recent and final Star War.

Which was absolutely DREADFUL. A remarkably and puzzlingly inept film on so many levels.

by Anonymousreply 108June 9, 2020 11:58 AM

Earthworm Tractors: funniest movie I'd seen in decades and it was made before 1940

by Anonymousreply 109June 9, 2020 4:20 PM

Down with Love. So campy and fun!

by Anonymousreply 110June 9, 2020 5:34 PM

R109 Joe E. Brown was so goofy looking, but damn - he had a rockin' body back then!

by Anonymousreply 111June 9, 2020 5:35 PM

The Russian Why Don’t You Such Die an extreme black comedy very Tarantino’s. The lead girl is probably one of the best bad girls in film noir history.

by Anonymousreply 112June 9, 2020 6:53 PM

I meant Tarantinoish.

by Anonymousreply 113June 9, 2020 6:55 PM

I'm on a 2 year long nostalgia trip, watching old movies and TV episodes of Bonanza.

Bonanza - Mrs. Wharton and the Lesser Breeds

Good script, funny as hell and featuring the gorgeous and talented David Canary and with a standout performance by Mildred Natwick!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114June 11, 2020 12:21 AM

This was a good one too, almost like theater.

Bonanza - The Lonely House

Never understood why Michael Landon never pursued a career as a serious actor. He was quite versatile but squandered it all on nauseating sentimental and phony moralizing TV fare.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115June 11, 2020 12:28 AM

I watched a sort of Edo period Japanese supernatural Western in which yokai (Japanese goblins) take revenge on an evil capitalist who disrespects them. Unpretentious and very low tech but satisfying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116June 11, 2020 12:36 AM

Casino. Mostly terrific pic. I hadn’t seen it in years. I forgot how desperate Sharon Stone was to win an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 117June 11, 2020 12:39 AM

Joseph Mankiewicz's film from 1954 "The Barefoot Contessa". He wrote and directed.

Starring Humphrey Bogart, Ava Gardner and in his Oscar winning (Supporting Actor) role Edmund O'Brien.

by Anonymousreply 118June 11, 2020 12:41 AM

I watched "Uncut Gems" on Netflix.

I thought it was going to be about European porn stars.

Instead, it was an excruciating movie filled with awful, ugly people screaming at each other and doing stupid things.

by Anonymousreply 119June 11, 2020 12:59 AM

Delving into Amazon Prime, I clicked on BY LOVE POSSESSED (1966). I lasted about 20 minutes.

Lana Turner being her usual glazed, monotone self. Bland leading men (Jason Robards, Jr. and Efram Zimbalist, Jr.) (which makes for weird opening credits, like it's a nursery school pageant.) [italic] And so much tan and brown[/italic] in the production design it looked like it was shot in sepia tone.

In one scene Barbara Bel Geddes polishes one spot on an apple for a long time before biting into it. Which made me wonder why this convention exists. Has she been handed an unwashed apple? And why do movie characters polish where they're taking the first bite, then continue to eat the whole thing? Is this a good luck gesture? And I also thought, I've never seen anyone do this in real life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120June 11, 2020 5:05 PM

KNIVES OUT, that Agatha Christie-style pastiche, which turned out to be more laborious to watch than I expected. The biggest problem is that the young nurse character gets the most screen time and she's the least interesting character. All that earnestness only goes so far. And Daniel Craig's Deep South Poirot was irritating.

Also watched a clunky 30's Katharine Hepburn film called QUALITY STREET, based on a J.M.Barrie play from 1901 (and it felt that old too). Very silly and not credible romantic farce set in 1805, with a generally dull Franchot Tone looking ill at east. KH is her usual fluttery self. The film was a flop and contributed to her status as Box Office Poison before THE PHILADELPHIA STORY salvaged her career.

There's a silent version of QUALITY STREET with Marion Davies that supposed to be better but I can't imagine watching this dumb plot again.

by Anonymousreply 121June 11, 2020 8:52 PM

One of the best bad movies ever, The Lonely Lady, starring Pia Zadora.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122June 12, 2020 12:06 AM

Another Pia film, Voyage of the Rock Aliens. Costarring Craig Sheffer🔥

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123June 12, 2020 2:01 AM

I’m obsessed with Ma & Pa Kettle movies at the moment!

by Anonymousreply 124June 13, 2020 12:10 AM

R124 Is Miss Rona messin' with yo head?

by Anonymousreply 125June 13, 2020 7:28 PM

The Way Back (2020). Ben Affleck's best performance, really great movie.

by Anonymousreply 126June 13, 2020 9:09 PM

[quote]Ben Affleck's best performance

That's a low bar.

by Anonymousreply 127June 13, 2020 9:21 PM

[quote]That's a low bar.

Fair point. Still, it's a great performance in an enjoyable movie.

by Anonymousreply 128June 13, 2020 9:28 PM

"Angel" (1937) directed by Ernst Lubitsch.

by Anonymousreply 129June 13, 2020 9:35 PM

Eat my ass

by Anonymousreply 130June 13, 2020 10:54 PM

Shirley (2020)

A very annoying film.

by Anonymousreply 131June 13, 2020 11:08 PM

[quote] Eat my ass

Who directed that? George Cukor?

by Anonymousreply 132June 13, 2020 11:08 PM

“Dodsworth” with Walter Houston, Ruth Chatterton and Mary Astor. I positively LOVED it! I watched it because I’m a Mary Astor fan. She was one of the finest actresses to grace the screen. She was so gifted and elegant.

I was very impressed with Ruth Chatterton. I read about her, but I never watched her movies. I never realized how talented she was, and she was superb in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 133June 14, 2020 12:21 AM

R133 I watched this on TCM last week. Ruth Chatterton was a real nasty whore in that one. I'd have kicked her ass to the curb.

by Anonymousreply 134June 14, 2020 2:12 PM

"Ladies in Black" last night on PBS. It's a cute movie...good message on immigration -- something we could use now. And plenty of nice eye candy: Ryan Corr (sexy Aussie actor), Vincent Perez (so fine!)...even Nicholas Hammond (Well, he was the stuff of my wet dreams when he played Peter Parker on TV years ago).

The best was Luke Pegler...playing a guy who's sex on a stick and doesn't know it!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135June 14, 2020 7:04 PM

The Idolmaker (1980) starring Ray Sharkey. I'd never heard of it until I came upon this thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136June 15, 2020 3:44 AM

Memoirs Of A Geisha - I know this movie got backlash for hiring Chinese actresses (which they deserved). But it's still a beautiful film and Gong Li was the standout as Hatsumomo.

I did find the age difference between Chiyo and the Chairman icky though.

by Anonymousreply 137June 15, 2020 1:11 PM

Gloria (1980) starring Gena Rowlands.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138June 15, 2020 3:42 PM

Horse Girl on Netflix. So weird and wonderful. Funny and uncomfortable. One of the more original movies I’ve seen in the last decade. It reminded me of Mysterious Skin in a way, but way more surreal and open ended. Great performances from everyone, including the newcomers. Molly Shannon is also in it, Paul Reiser has a small part, too.

by Anonymousreply 139June 15, 2020 4:24 PM

The First Deadly Sin (1980) starring Frank Sinatra, with Faye Dunaway in a hospital bed. Not a very good movie at all. Borderline terrible.

by Anonymousreply 140June 15, 2020 11:25 PM

Come Back To The Five & Dime Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean on Amazon Prime.

by Anonymousreply 141June 15, 2020 11:27 PM

Rosebuds 2

by Anonymousreply 142June 18, 2020 1:58 AM

9 to 5

Never get’s stale.

by Anonymousreply 143June 18, 2020 2:19 AM

R143 "Violet, could you come back here a second?"

by Anonymousreply 144June 18, 2020 2:23 AM

One From the Heart (1981)

Directed by Francis Ford Coppola, and starring Frederic Forrest, Teri Garr, Raul Julia, Nastassja Kinski, Lainie Kazan and Harry Dean Stanton.

I expected crap, but this was really good. Impressive production design too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145June 18, 2020 2:24 AM

R145 A highly underrated movie. I loved it!

by Anonymousreply 146June 18, 2020 2:26 AM

Mike’s Murder (1984) — Debra Winger is always good, and Mike was a hottie, but it was kind of a let down.

by Anonymousreply 147June 18, 2020 2:38 AM

Mike’s Murder is depressing but compelling. The only thing I remember distinctly about it, though, was the conversation in the elevator with the older man, who was one of Mike’s patrons (?), where he tells Debra Winger that Mike had done escort work, and then adds “but that wasn’t his true bent, as you well know.” I haven’t seen the movie in probably 30 years. Wish it were available on blu ray or streaming in HD.

by Anonymousreply 148June 18, 2020 2:44 AM

Luce

Very good, kept me guessing. Very good performances.

by Anonymousreply 149June 18, 2020 10:35 AM

Diva (1981)

Eighteen year-old Jules, an opera buff and post office worker, makes a pirate tape of the celebrated diva Cynthia Hawkins who flatly refuses to be recorded. The next day, just before being murdered, a prostitute slips a cassette revealing a scandalous illicit business into the bag on his moped. Some dangerous people are after one tape, and some other dangerous people are after the other.

I'd never heard of this film before, and I'm glad I decided to check it out. A very engrossing, entertaining French thriller.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150June 18, 2020 1:07 PM

Great flick, r150. I love the aria she sings, too. Gorgeous piece of music.

And another vote for the production design of One From The Heart. The film itself, I could take or leave. I’ve never been able to invest myself in their love affair. I get that Coppola wanted to create a grubby little, everyday romance set against this wildly artificial and oversized world, but ultimately, I think the experiment failed. But still, the look of it is truly something to see. Proto-Baz Lurhman, only with a brain in its head.

by Anonymousreply 151June 18, 2020 1:37 PM

I saw Murder on the Orient Express (1974), too. I knew the ending so it wasn't a surprise. A wonderful ensemble cast, everyone was perfect. Jacqueline Bisset is exactly what you imagine her character to be, as well as Lauren Bacall, Sean Connery and Anthony Perkins. All of them really.

Clothes and sets were exquisite and the murder itself so cathartic. Definitely a must see.

The VIPs gets a lot of hate - but if you eliminate the Liz/Burton (originally written as a riff on Onassis and Maria Callas), the rest of the cast is wonderful. Burton and Taylor were terrible. He was as stiff and indifferent when he started as when he got her back. She was study in look beautiful while exceedingly plump. Givenchy helped her a lot there with at fur lined hood.

by Anonymousreply 152June 18, 2020 1:55 PM

Do not worry about your chin, cherie, I will take care of everything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153June 18, 2020 1:57 PM

two:

Rollover (1981) with Jane Fonda and Kris Kristofferson. A compelling story idea that was poorly executed with leaden pacing and dull visuals. Kristofferson is wildly miscast (who ever thought he would make a convincing financier?) and Jane just clenches her jaw the entire movie with Nancy Dussault-esque hair.

The Muse (1998) with Albert Brooks and Sharon Stone. I thought this movie was hilarious 20 years ago but it didn't elicit many guffaws this time; perhaps the Hollywood references are just too dated now. Still a brilliant piece of casting to have Stone play an escaped mental patient, and I can't imagine how many takes Andie MacDowell needed to try and minimize her accent.

by Anonymousreply 154June 18, 2020 2:30 PM

A Woman's Face, the most boring Crawford film I've ever seen. 3/10

by Anonymousreply 155June 19, 2020 1:12 AM

Absurd (1981)

A Halloween ripoff in which a big Greek guy with regenerative powers kills a bunch of people in a small town while he's pursued by a Priest who's also a doctor. Typical gory Joe D'Amato Eurotrash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156June 19, 2020 1:19 AM

The Killing of a Sacred Deer. A Yorgos Lanthimos film starring Nicole Kidman and Colin Farrell. On Netflix.

It was interesting, but depressing AF.

Kidman and Farrell were directed to say all their lines in a staccato monotone. And they were very creepy.

He was a surgeon and they had sex while Nicole pretended to be under anesthesia.

And he told his young son that when he was his age, he could barely cum. So when he alcoholic father passed out, he beat him off and "he came sheets of sperm." Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 157June 19, 2020 6:20 PM

"Becky" (2020)

It was a total mess of a movie. Home invasion/revenge flick with some young girl as the protagonist, her dad played by Joel McHale, and Kevin James plays the leader of some hardened group of racist thugs who escaped jail. The casting was obviously ridiculous. The tone of the movie is all over the place. Cringe-worthy watch.

by Anonymousreply 158June 19, 2020 8:49 PM

[quote]r154 Jane just clenches her jaw the entire movie with Nancy Dussault-esque hair.

Jane wears one great dress in ROLLOVER. I saw an auction listing costumes from that film being sold - but that one wasn't in the collection.

I bet she kept it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159June 20, 2020 3:41 AM

Interview with Ann Roth, the costume designer for ROLLOVER (1981)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160June 20, 2020 3:42 AM

Ann Roth was the costume designer for EVERY film.

by Anonymousreply 161June 20, 2020 3:51 AM

She appears in the book “The Devil's Candy: The Anatomy of a Hollywood Fiasco “ - the behind the scenes look at the making of BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES.

Roth and Uma Thurman are practically the only people who come across as nice. (Beth Broderick seems okay, too... even though she’s fucking the director.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162June 20, 2020 6:23 AM

Just watched Roman Polanski's first directorial effort, "Knife in the Water," from 1962.

Very moody, very odd, low on action, high on atmosphere with homoerotic undertones. Can't say I loved it, but it was an interesting watch. You need patience, though, and unless you speak Polish, you also need to be okay with subtitles.

by Anonymousreply 163June 20, 2020 10:21 AM

I love that book, r162. I want Charlie Kaufman to adapt it into a movie.

by Anonymousreply 164June 20, 2020 11:00 AM

Outland (1981)

A sci-fi western that takes place on Io, one of Jupiter's moons, starring Sean Connery. The drug-related crime story was a little slight for the futuristic setting, but overall it wasn't a bad film. Good soundtrack by Jerry Goldsmith.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165June 22, 2020 9:02 PM

The Ice Storm.

Meh.

by Anonymousreply 166June 22, 2020 9:15 PM

I agree, R166. Very 'meh'

by Anonymousreply 167June 22, 2020 9:15 PM

Ford Vs Ferrari - Kind of meh. Christian Bale acting his tits off was a real downer. Love parts of it, like how the chairman of Ford was just an entitled dick and what an evil empty shell Ford Motors was. Seemed to be about 6 hours long too.

by Anonymousreply 168June 22, 2020 9:17 PM

Double Indemnity - just a few hours ago on TCM. I've seen it often, one of my favorites so was glad to watch it again. The dialogue is great, especially Edward G. Robinson's lines. Who would believe Fred MacMurray could be hot? He and Barbara Stanwyck burn it up.

by Anonymousreply 169June 22, 2020 9:18 PM

Two from 1982:

Next of Kin, an Aussie horror film that takes place in a remote nursing home.

Starstruck, an Aussie new wave rock musical about a wannabe rock star.

Both were entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 170June 24, 2020 4:40 AM

Blow Up was on TCM last night. I always catch that film if I know it's going to be on. The David Hemmings character was modeled after photographer David Bailey. Bailey was married to supermodel Marie Helvin who was a schoolmate of mine. Gurl, she had fabulous breasts. Don't know about his.

by Anonymousreply 171June 24, 2020 5:22 AM

R171 I found that movie to be so boring and plodding. I didn't think it would ever end.

by Anonymousreply 172June 24, 2020 11:19 AM

I love The Ice Storm. One of Sigourney Weaver's best performances.

by Anonymousreply 173June 24, 2020 3:02 PM

Grey Gardens, the 2009 HBO version with Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange. I liked it very much, I'm going to order the documentary from Criterion.

by Anonymousreply 174June 24, 2020 3:04 PM

R173 I too loved The Ice Storm. Didn't like the book, though.

by Anonymousreply 175June 24, 2020 3:05 PM

The Ice Storm is one of my favorite movies.

Absolutely devastating.

by Anonymousreply 176June 24, 2020 3:10 PM

R105 "See No Evil, Hear No Evil"

This was by far my favourite comedy when I was about 14. I daren't watch it now.

by Anonymousreply 177June 24, 2020 3:12 PM

R162 [quote] “The Devil's Candy: The Anatomy of a Hollywood Fiasco “ - the behind the scenes look at the making of BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES.

I loved that book. So entertaining. A entire list of what-not-to-do when producing and shooting a movie.

by Anonymousreply 178June 24, 2020 3:18 PM

R178 To this day, when I see the shot of the Concorde taking off in "Bonfire of the Vanities," I remember reading the chapter that talked about all the time and ridiculous amount of money they spent to get that 2-second bit.

And of course, Melanie Griffith getting her tits done halfway through the shoot, which caused major continuity issues.

by Anonymousreply 179June 24, 2020 3:21 PM

Two more from 1982:

The Sender, a psychological horror film about a mysterious young man in a psychiatric hospital who can send frightening visions and hallucinations to people around him. Pretty good.

Double Exposure, trashy, gory serial killer whodunnit involving nightmares and fashion models. Very bad.

by Anonymousreply 180June 26, 2020 8:37 PM

Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift

by Anonymousreply 181June 26, 2020 8:42 PM

"Hardcore," from 1979 with George C. Scott. He plays a religious man in the midwest whose daughter goes off to Bible camp in California and is lured into pornography. Scott then goes to California and hooks up with a porn actress/prostitute to find her.

It was written and directed by Paul Schrader, who wrote Taxi Driver. It was pretty gritty and depressing, but the ending was over the top and silly.

One funny part was a cameo by Hal Williams from 227 and Private Benjamin who played a porn star named Big Dick Blaque. "I got a dick hangin' on me 9 inches long!"

by Anonymousreply 182June 26, 2020 8:46 PM

Angst, a 1983 Austrian film about a man who's released from prison and is driven to kill again. Very dark, but very well done.

by Anonymousreply 183June 27, 2020 3:27 AM

[quote]R182 Hardcore," from 1979 with George C. Scott. He plays a religious man in the midwest whose daughter goes off to Bible camp in California and is lured into pornography. Scott then goes to California and hooks up with a porn actress/prostitute to find her.

There was a time people thought Season Hubley was going to be a star. Is she good in it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184June 27, 2020 6:03 AM

I’m just finishing “Woodshock” on Netflix and it’s one of the most boring, pretentious movies I’ve ever seen. I’m forcing myself to finish it, god knows why.

by Anonymousreply 185June 27, 2020 6:14 AM

Rosemary's Baby on Amazon Prime. I immediately thought of DL when Grace Cardiff, a friend of Hutch showed up.

Now I'm off to find that thread!

by Anonymousreply 186June 27, 2020 6:51 AM

I can no longer associate myself...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187June 27, 2020 7:37 AM

Dear Ex - Taiwanese young man coming to terms with his recently-deceased gay father, his father's lover, his overbearing mother and his dead father's insurance policy.

by Anonymousreply 188June 27, 2020 8:27 AM

Handgun (1983) A young teacher in Texas is raped by Republican, and she gets her revenge. More than just a rape revenge movie, it's an indictment on rape culture and gun culture in America. The whole movie's on youtube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189June 28, 2020 4:28 AM

I watched the documentary called Pretty Woman. It caused many memorys to bubble inside of me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190June 28, 2020 4:31 AM

A horror movie called "The Boy" about a girl who goes to England to be a nanny to an eight year old boy. "The boy" turns out to be a creepy doll. It was ridiculous, but must have done well, because there was a a sequel which was REALLY bad.

by Anonymousreply 191June 28, 2020 4:37 AM

Scream for Help (1984)

A teenage girl is convinced that her new stepfather is trying to kill her and her mother, but no one believes her. This is a Lifetime movie on crack.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192June 28, 2020 10:10 PM

Impulse, a 1984 horror film starring Meg Tilly. After an earthquake, people in a small town start to exhibit very strange behavior. This is sort of like Invasion of the Body Snatchers, but instead of everyone becoming a blank zombie, they become raging assholes without impulse control.

If there was ever a movie that really reflected the current times, this is it.

by Anonymousreply 193June 29, 2020 2:52 PM

Lust In The Dust - starring Devine, Tab Hunter and the effervescent Lainie Kazan. This came out a few years after Polyester. Apparently there was enough chemistry between Divine and Tab in Polyester to pair up in LITD. It's a fun watch and Devine is her usual vampy self.

Another odd-ball film I saw many years ago was Soldier's Girl - starring Lee Pace. A rather obscure film but well acted and quite touching.

I've never been a mainstream movie goer so the more unusual the better.

by Anonymousreply 194June 29, 2020 3:09 PM

Born Innocent with Linda Blair.

Unedited version complete with toilet plunger rape.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195July 1, 2020 3:19 AM

^^ oh my

Now you have to watch the remorseless Susan Dey in [italic]Cage Without a Key

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196July 1, 2020 5:37 AM

I like that her sappy, girl-next-door character is named Valerie Smith.

Did that come out of some "good girl names" generator at the studio, or something?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197July 1, 2020 5:41 AM

I can't remember.

by Anonymousreply 198July 1, 2020 5:51 AM

A silent movie called The White Sister (1923) starring Lillian Gish and a very young (and fucking gorgeous) Ronald Colman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199July 1, 2020 6:44 AM

Hellhole (1985) An extremely trashy women in prison film, but instead of a prison, it's an mental hospital. Mary Woronov plays an evil doctor who experiments on the patients, Ray Sharkey plays a killer posing as an orderly, and Edy Williams plays one of the patients, often sans clothes. I think there were at least five "erotic" girl on girl scenes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200July 3, 2020 10:34 PM

Tobe Hooper's 1986 remake of Invaders from Mars. I saw this film on VHS when I was a kid and it creeped me out. Now as an adult it's not the least bit scary, but it's still entertaining. Karen Black and her young son co-star as a school nurse and a young student who realize everyone around them are being taken control of by martians. Also stars Louise Fletcher as a mean teacher who's mind is taken over by the martians. The scene where she gobbles down a live frog stuck with me since I was kid.

by Anonymousreply 201July 14, 2020 10:10 PM

Tuker and Dale vs Evil for about the 10th time. It is so so funny.

by Anonymousreply 202July 14, 2020 10:34 PM

R136 I was an extra in the Idolmaker. My whole 7th grade class got to be the audience for one of the performances.

by Anonymousreply 203July 15, 2020 12:34 AM

Rent-a-Cop!

by Anonymousreply 204July 15, 2020 1:51 PM

"Brittany Runs a Marathon," which was unexpectedly charming and sweet.

by Anonymousreply 205July 15, 2020 1:53 PM

R83, TCM still shows Tarzan in the morning?!? They have been doing this for years! Some of the sets and costumes are outstanding! Used to watch them while opening the bar with my soulmate Kelly, aka “Old Iron Tits.”

by Anonymousreply 206July 15, 2020 2:18 PM

For Bastille Day yesterday, I re-watched the French film considered to be one of the greatest in history: "Children of Paradise".

It had been ages since I last saw it and it was just as exquisite as I remembered.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207July 15, 2020 2:53 PM

Eddie Macon's Run (1983) starring the gorgeous John Schneider.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208August 16, 2020 6:20 PM

Eurovision on Netflix. Silly but harmless comedy with scenes of Iceland. A nice break from having to think/see/hear about Trump.

by Anonymousreply 209August 16, 2020 6:24 PM

Spy with Melissa McCarthy. It was funny and diverting enough, very coarse but funny.

by Anonymousreply 210August 16, 2020 6:29 PM

I think of myself as not watching a lot of movies but I recently saw the two directly above (and liked them).

Most recent was a French movie with Catherine Deneuve as a former nun who had adopted an Algerian orphan. It was mostly a silly comedy but with some tragic bits and, as with most French films, even if it's bad it's good because I like the language and actors.

by Anonymousreply 211August 16, 2020 6:37 PM

Death Watch. 1979. With Harvey Keitel and Romy Schneider.

by Anonymousreply 212August 16, 2020 7:16 PM

R209 Eurovision with Will Ferrell was a truly terrible movie. And why is his childhood sweetheart 12 years younger than him?? And looks like she belongs to a different generation?? Truly terrible, apart maybe from the Russian gay guy.

by Anonymousreply 213August 16, 2020 7:22 PM

"And God Created Woman" 1957 got sneaked into a drive in by an older cousin when i was 12. we went home and he frotted between my thighs, first time i ever saw cum.

by Anonymousreply 214August 16, 2020 7:24 PM

obviously i meant i just rewatched it last night on tcm. 1957 was not the last time i went to a movie

by Anonymousreply 215August 16, 2020 7:25 PM

PUNCH THE CLOCK (1922) with Snub Pollard

by Anonymousreply 216August 16, 2020 7:27 PM

Some thing with Mark Whalberg called The Shooter. I lost interest half way and went and cleaned up the kitchen.

I wish I'd been watching Polyester, that is a GREAT film

by Anonymousreply 217August 16, 2020 9:49 PM

Project Power with Jamie Foxx and Joseph Gordon-Levitt on Netflix. Not great but I enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 218August 17, 2020 11:04 PM

Bed of Roses, with Christian Slater and the blonde from Fried Green Tomatoes. A very lame romance.

by Anonymousreply 219August 17, 2020 11:18 PM

Arsenic and Old Lace.

by Anonymousreply 220August 17, 2020 11:35 PM

Project Power sucked and it's full of plot holes and missed opportunities for some humor, which it's sorely lacking.

Last night I watched 68 Kill with AnnaLynne McCord and adorable Matthew Gray Gubler. A horror/comedy that's low-grade Tarantino but was fun to watch and less than 90 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 221August 17, 2020 11:46 PM

Mabel's Married Life (1914) with Mabel Norman and Charlie Chaplin. Chaplin had not quite found his Tramp character yet. They were filming while being watched by onlookers who seem to not understand exactly what was going on. People had no idea they would be immortalized and be seen 100 years later going about their daily lives...

by Anonymousreply 222August 18, 2020 12:24 AM

Crimson Peak. Weird but stunning cinematography and costumes.

by Anonymousreply 223August 24, 2020 6:42 PM

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom for the umpteenth time.

Really good action adventure, but Willie is such a dumb character.

by Anonymousreply 224August 24, 2020 6:57 PM

R224, that would have been a much better movie with anyone but Kate Capshaw.

by Anonymousreply 225August 24, 2020 6:59 PM

I can't think of any actress who could have made her tolerable. She's just written to be an idiot all the time.

by Anonymousreply 226August 24, 2020 7:12 PM

I watched Psycho for the first time. It was good but I think I need to watch it again closely to see what the hype is all about. I guessed the ending way too early because "Straitjacket" is one of my favorite camp films.

by Anonymousreply 227August 24, 2020 7:16 PM

François Ozon's Swimming Pool - so good and Hitchcockian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228August 24, 2020 7:21 PM

Watched the live action Beauty and The Beast last night on Disney+. It was okay.

by Anonymousreply 229August 25, 2020 2:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!