Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hollywood Legend Mae West Profiled in New PBS Documentary: 'She Was a Sexual Gangster'

A new PBS documentary, Mae West: Dirty Blonde, is shining a spotlight on the revolutionary Hollywood icon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2020 5:39 PM

"Is that a gun in your pocket or are ya glad t'see me?" Mae was one of a kind.

by Anonymousreply 1May 28, 2020 5:37 PM

To me she always seemed to have the shape of a box of saltine crackers.

by Anonymousreply 2May 28, 2020 5:38 PM

She Wash A Sheckshual Gangshter.

by Anonymousreply 3May 28, 2020 5:42 PM

Seems like she has a resurgence every 20 years for new generations to learn about her.

They really should do a biopic on her - fascinating stuff.

by Anonymousreply 4May 28, 2020 5:50 PM

Some box of saltine crackers, R2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 28, 2020 7:02 PM

Alaska did a terrific impression during Snatch Game: Why don’t you come up and see me some time and fuck me in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 6June 19, 2020 11:08 PM

Mae West's film debut. She was great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 20, 2020 12:26 AM

Great doc. I highly recommend it.

by Anonymousreply 8June 20, 2020 12:49 AM

Dear R4:

The 1982 TV biopic of Mae West was a veritable smorgasbord of DL faves. It starred Ann Jillian as Mae, Piper Laurie as Mae’s mother, James Brolin as a hot love interest, and Roddy McDowall as a drag queen. The tragic Bridgette Andersen of “Savannah Smiles” fame played Mae as a child.

Go watch it on YouTube right this minute or your DL membership is hereby REVOKED!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2020 1:04 AM

Saw the PBS show just now. Really good. A bit thin on the later years but so was her career.

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2020 8:27 PM

For R7

"She is to appear in Night After Night. She will play a lady of no character."

- Los Angeles Times, 1932

George Raft may have put it best when he said, "Mae West stole everything but the cameras."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2020 9:06 PM

In the very beginning, when she was in vaudeville, she wore low cut gowns. But after that, she was covered up. You can tell she was wearing flesh colored material all over, even when she appeared to be scantily clad, like in the OP photo. Looking closely you’re can see she’s wearing material on her chest & arms.

Mae also found that 1890s clothes were a good way to cover herself up. She did Diamond Lil on Broadway, (which was She Done Him Wrong on film) and Belle of the Nineties. After that, she seemed to wear an awful lot of 1890s type clothes even in movies that weren’t set in the 1890s.

Mae was no doubt wearing whalebone corsets under all those clothes as she aged. She insisted on doing the lighting for her scenes, which irked directors. At one point she started that ridiculous exaggerated “vamp” walk of hers because she was short and a bit squat looking, so she wore 6” heels to make herself look taller & more svelte. The 1890s tall feather hats also added height. Mae was a corseted, draped, overly made up, high hatted, heel-tottering mess, but she pulled it off for a number of years, so I guess you have to hand it to her.

My sister was short & she used to wear at least 3” heels. She could not walk normally in them & looked like a clodhopper. One day I went to her job & in the parking lot, she was sliding & tipping & wavering in her shoes. I told her she couldn’t carry off heels & she would look much better if she wore flats & in fact, she might get promoted. (She was always complaining that she didn’t get promoted, but honestly, who would promote someone who who was sliding around, teeter-tottering in their shoes?)

It didn’t go over well.i learned to keep my big mouth shut after that.

by Anonymousreply 12June 22, 2020 10:59 PM

"The Drag" looked like it was a great show.

by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2020 5:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!