Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New electrical outlet?

I live in an old house from the 20s. There are only 2 electrical outlets in my bedroom. Is it possible for an electrician to install another plug on another wall? Any idea how much this would cost? Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 19May 28, 2020 9:40 PM

Journeymen electricians are not cheap ... but yes it is possible.

Local rates prevail. Call a few that offer free estimates.

by Anonymousreply 1May 28, 2020 4:32 AM

Depends, OP.

Has the wiring been upgraded or is it knob and tube?

by Anonymousreply 2May 28, 2020 4:34 AM

It is possible. But, since it is an older house you need to be prepared that once the electrician looks at the wiring they might say you need the entire house rewired. I knew a person who, like you, only wanted an extra outlet put in and that is what the electrician told him. He thought they were trying to rip him off, but he had three of them come out, and they all told him the same thing. The last one even informed him he was going to turn it into the city, if it wasn't taken care of.

by Anonymousreply 3May 28, 2020 4:37 AM

There are far too many variables for us to estimate the cost. Electricians will rape you, and not in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 4May 28, 2020 4:40 AM

Yeah, a lot of cities have codes now that if the original house is altered in any way, it has to be brought to code.

Some cities may go to the extreme in enforcing that.

by Anonymousreply 5May 28, 2020 4:41 AM

[quote] The last one even informed him he was going to turn it into the city, if it wasn't taken care of.

Did your friend tell him to eat a pile of shit?

by Anonymousreply 6May 28, 2020 4:42 AM

OP, if your house still has old knob and tube wiring, they can't tie into it with new wiring so your whole house would have to be rewired - which includes removing all of the old wiring, which is super expensive.

(I know an electrician who removes the old stuff all the time when hipsters renovate old character homes.)

by Anonymousreply 7May 28, 2020 4:44 AM

R6 No, because he was running for city council at the time and that particular electrician's boss was known for being a generous campaign donor.

by Anonymousreply 8May 28, 2020 4:45 AM

OP here. I rent a flat and I love where I live. And the rent is very reasonable for the area. Every room is lacking in electrical outlets so I have to use electrical strips everywhere. I was going pay to have an electrician come out and install an electrical outlet but it seems like it’s not a good idea. I don’t want to cause any waves with the landlord because of this electrical issue. Maybe I’ll just casually bring it up to him and tell him I’ll pay for it but if he thinks it’s a bad idea then I won’t do it.

by Anonymousreply 9May 28, 2020 4:50 AM

R2 I have no idea.

by Anonymousreply 10May 28, 2020 4:51 AM

R9 Yes, if you are renting you need to discuss it with him.

by Anonymousreply 11May 28, 2020 4:52 AM

I used to live in a apartment like that. I used extension cords and had a few lathe stand up lamps. It was weird only the Foyer, the kitchen and bathroom Had ceiling lights.

by Anonymousreply 12May 28, 2020 4:58 AM

[quote] Every room is lacking in electrical outlets so I have to use electrical strips everywhere.

Do you outlets have two holes or three holes (since it's a1920s house)?

I would be careful about using "electrical strips everywhere." If you do want to do that, anyway, make sure you're matching up (not overloading) the strips.

by Anonymousreply 13May 28, 2020 5:03 AM

Get three holes, Mary.

SO much better than two.

by Anonymousreply 14May 28, 2020 2:58 PM

R13 The outlets have three holes.

I am careful about the electrical strips. It’s unavoidable though because there are so many electronic items in this flat.

by Anonymousreply 15May 28, 2020 5:29 PM

$713.41

by Anonymousreply 16May 28, 2020 5:34 PM

I’m thinking much more than that, R16.

The people on those home shows always go ballistic when the contractor tells them they have to update the wiring in the whole house.

$1500.00 and up Is usually the bill.

by Anonymousreply 17May 28, 2020 9:11 PM

OP, this might be an easy project if you were in a house (not apartment) and there was a basement with an exposed ceiling directly under the room where you want the new outlet. In such case the electrician could run a new line across the basement ceiling to the desired location. Without easy access, installing the outlet may involve running wires through walls. In either case, local electrical codes would probably require the wire be inside a metal conduit. The home's electrical panel / circuit breaker box must have sufficient amperage to support the additional load. It might be easier to go to a home supply store and purchase plug mold which mounts to a wall or baseboard, allowing you to neatly run electrical cable or long extension cord from a nearby outlet.

by Anonymousreply 18May 28, 2020 9:19 PM

[quote] Every room is lacking in electrical outlets so I have to use electrical strips everywhere.

This is a recipe for disaster... I bet you're very young. When I was young, I lived in a prewar house with the original wiring. In Asia. It was extremely dangerous and stupid of me. I am lucky that I didn't start a fire.

by Anonymousreply 19May 28, 2020 9:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!