Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I think it's absolutely sad how now that the weather has turned everyone is outside

Remember when this started in March and we decided we were going to stay indoors for as long as it took? Since March 15th I've only been out ONCE a WEEK to get groceries and other essentials (minus one week where I had to go out a second time to leave vitamins and masks on my aunt's door step). I am completely self-isolating.

I expected some flouting of the recommendations once the warm weather hit but to see people at at clubs and pool parties like NOTHING is going on is beyond disheartening. It makes me want to throw up. So I can only imagine how it feels to the healthcare workers out there.

To all of you: Until a vaccine is found it is your DUTY to limit outdoor travel as much possible and to only the bare essentials.

It seems all the messaging has been lost on you. I think we truly do deserve a second wave sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 81June 6, 2020 2:22 PM

STFU.

by Anonymousreply 1May 27, 2020 1:13 AM

R1 You play golf and go for lesiurely strolls while we die.

by Anonymousreply 2May 27, 2020 1:15 AM

Op is a martyr.

by Anonymousreply 3May 27, 2020 1:16 AM

OP, I know its terrible, but I kinda hope there is a second wave soon so I can telework for the rest of the year, or permanently. Fuck going to the office!

by Anonymousreply 4May 27, 2020 1:17 AM

R3 I'm not. I'm doing the BARE minimum.

Considering the advent of social media and video communication we have no reason to complain. None.

by Anonymousreply 5May 27, 2020 1:18 AM

YOU DO realize that almost all the people who catch Covid-19 are getting it INSIDE.

[quote]COVID-19 has mounted a sustained attack on public life, especially indoor life. Many of the largest super-spreader events took place inside—at a church in South Korea, an auditorium in France, a conference in Massachusetts. The danger of the indoors is more than anecdotal. A Hong Kong paper awaiting peer review found that of 7,324 documented cases in China, only one outbreak occurred outside—during a conversation among several men in a small village. The risk of infection indoors is almost 19 times higher than in open-air environments, according to another study from researchers in Japan.

See link for full article

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 27, 2020 1:18 AM

I’m doing it all

by Anonymousreply 7May 27, 2020 1:19 AM

R6

This is what I'm talking about. Every single person who was in that park should have been fined if not jailed. But of course this was in a upper class, white neighborhood so nothing happened.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 27, 2020 1:21 AM

Sorry I'm not abiding by DL tradition in making first reply snarky, (perhaps someone shall beat me to the reply button) I never thought "outside" was the problem, but crowded indoor spaces were.

I go out several times a day to muck stalls, feed horses and chicken, to go riding, to work in the garden, to ride my bike, to watch my partner work on cars in the garage (I help too), ETC. ETC...

Walking or going for a jog shouldn't present a problem either, unless one is running along the shore breathing in surf spray. Lakes, thus far, have also not been tested, or thought to be a threat.

People need sunshine and fresh air, and exercise. I also don't see any problem with people water skiing, boating, fishing, camping, or hunting.... So long as they're engaging with those they already live with. It may even be safe to excuse a couple of others who remain in most of the time.

I have everything delivered.... And we stocked up... Other than my partner visiting his brother, who happens to be an innately lazy couch potato, I think we need to speak more specifically on such matters.

Wow, or phwew, I'm number 8 now... We also went camping for three days, and came into contact with no one.

by Anonymousreply 9May 27, 2020 1:21 AM

R95 Excuses. You can do better.

Going for walks poses so many risks. Streets are narrow, you may run into an elderly person for whom you have no chance but to stand closer than six feet to. It's just careless.

This was not the messaging of public health officials when this pandemic began. We agreed that self-isolating was the only way.

I have not come within 6 feet of anyone in over two months.

by Anonymousreply 10May 27, 2020 1:25 AM

R10, But why isn't the elderly person from your fictional situation inside his own damn house? Hmmm??

by Anonymousreply 11May 27, 2020 1:27 AM

R11 People not following the rules does not invalidate them all together. It's still my responsibility, as it is yours.

by Anonymousreply 12May 27, 2020 1:29 AM

I agree with OP. I hate to say it, but down deep I hope most of those who flaunted breaking the rules this past weekend end up paying a big price for their arrogance and stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 13May 27, 2020 1:29 AM

R10 I left the city of Chicago, to bug with my mate. We happen to be on an old farm in an unincorporated area... Not excuses, just logic. I haven't even left for a store since early February.

The only other "outside risk" entering my periphery is my beau seeing his brother, and working on an ancient Honda S800. He has no girlfriend, and also has provisions delivered. That's it in a nutshell. I feel we've completed isolated compared to most people we know.

Even friends in NYC and NJ say they see no one when they go for walks or a run later in the evening. Too many people are letting paranoia rule their lives.

by Anonymousreply 14May 27, 2020 1:31 AM

Next we shall have posters here suggest not to open the windows.

by Anonymousreply 15May 27, 2020 1:33 AM

Really want to buy something like this. I know everybody would stare me down. Sorry responsibility is so off-putting to you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 27, 2020 1:37 AM

For all the ridicule the Florida spring breakers generated, they didn’t seem to get sick or infect others. We rightfully attack the right for being impervious to the facts, so we need to be diligent at looking at our own perceived facts that don’t seem to hold up.

by Anonymousreply 17May 27, 2020 1:41 AM

I agree OP

by Anonymousreply 18May 27, 2020 1:41 AM

I go out for a walk every day and have yet to come within 12 feet of another person. I’ve played golf a few times and easily kept my distance. I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve been to a store since March 11.

I am working from home and have set an outdoor workstation which is the best part about this pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 19May 27, 2020 1:41 AM

The people going to pool parties and cramming into parks are idiots. But most health experts agree that we should all get outdoors daily for exercise, sunshine, and fresh air. Just don't hang out anywhere that a crowd has gathered. And unless someone actually coughs or spits right in your face, you're not going to catch the virus by passing within six feet of someone for five seconds in an outdoor environment.

by Anonymousreply 20May 27, 2020 1:43 AM

Do you shut-ins know that not everyone is like you? Some of us have lives and don't want to be isolated forever. There's only so much normal people can take.

by Anonymousreply 21May 27, 2020 1:43 AM

R19 , and other "small party" golfers, I don't see golf to be a problem either, even though I only enjoy the drinks afterwards, and driving the cart!

by Anonymousreply 22May 27, 2020 1:45 AM

[quote] It seems all the messaging has been lost on you.

Or maybe the messaging was wrong, OP.

by Anonymousreply 23May 27, 2020 1:45 AM

I too wonder what the risks are when I am outside. It seems unlikely I would be infected there unless I was kissing the person next to me. One thing about Public Health advice is you try not to destroy a person's routine if it isn't really needed. How many people got infected at the beach this past weekend? i suspect few.

by Anonymousreply 24May 27, 2020 1:45 AM

R10. I assume you do see the woman behind the yellow wallpaper in your room.

by Anonymousreply 25May 27, 2020 1:45 AM

[quote]For all the ridicule the Florida spring breakers generated, they didn’t seem to get sick or infect others.

You don't say.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 27, 2020 1:47 AM

There is no reason for you to be isolating inside 24 hours a day. It’s perfectly OK to go for a walk. Take streets that are less populated. You don’t have to go near other people.

by Anonymousreply 27May 27, 2020 1:49 AM

I totally agree with OP.the Midwest & south are going to fuck us all over with their flagrant disregard for the greater good. Here in the North East we saw the shit that was going down and we all know of someone that had a friend or family member die of Covid. Some people need to learn the hard way it seems.

by Anonymousreply 28May 27, 2020 1:49 AM

Go out but for God’s sake wear a mask!

by Anonymousreply 29May 27, 2020 1:50 AM

R24 I smoke as well... And my beau smokes just the grass... But we both often partake outside...put those concerns to bed. The smoke is what we ought to be reconsidering, if anything really. Cheers to R19 & R20/R21.

by Anonymousreply 30May 27, 2020 1:52 AM

R30 Smoking actually may lower your risk of getting coronavirus.

by Anonymousreply 31May 27, 2020 1:55 AM

OP, I have been in my apartment since early March, but today I decided I needed to go out and start walking again. I used to do 5 miles per day, but today I could barely go one mile without being worn out. I tried again later in the day and only made another mile. So if the virus doesn't kill me, the lack of activity will.

by Anonymousreply 32May 27, 2020 1:55 AM

[quote] The Midwest & south are going to fuck us all over with their flagrant disregard for the greater good. Here in the North East we saw the shit that was going down

I hope R28 is being sarcastic. The MAJORITY of all cases and deaths are in the North East.

by Anonymousreply 33May 27, 2020 1:56 AM

[quote]OP, I know its terrible, but I kinda hope there is a second wave soon so I can telework for the rest of the year, or permanently. Fuck going to the office!

You can say that again! I never want to go into the office again!

by Anonymousreply 34May 27, 2020 1:58 AM

Jealous, bitch OP? If you are a 400-lb, diiabetic, immunocompromised geezer and terrified of untimely death, just stay home and clutch your clit.

by Anonymousreply 35May 27, 2020 2:01 AM

[quote] I think we truly do deserve a second wave sometimes.

OP also made the pathetic post at R18.

Anyone wanna bet he doesn't care one bit about "saving lives"?

by Anonymousreply 36May 27, 2020 2:04 AM

R31 I have heard this, and read the french studies. I share this with all my friends who continue to enjoy tobacco. There's enough guilt smoking, this was quite good news when I learnt of it. This certainly would be a terrible time to quit, though I'm down 1-3 fags a day... If I drink a lot, maybe 5... but then I ask my partner to not "let" me have any more. So far it's working out well.... Though he laughs and often accuses me of having a secret stash... I just tell him he's sniffing the previous fags.

(Burning a Marboro Red 100 as I type)

by Anonymousreply 37May 27, 2020 2:05 AM

OP is being ridiculous to yank your chains.

People who'd otherwise be doing fine are dying of heart attacks because they don't go to the ER. I walk 2-3 miles a day, have been to my doctors three times since March, had my monthly allergy shots twice, and had four infusions since the lock-down began in early March. Every Sunday we get in the car and drive somewhere for two or three hours. There's no danger in any of these things.

Wash your hands, OP. Especially after typing R18. You won't be fine but at least you won't get infected by the Covid-19 that way.

by Anonymousreply 38May 27, 2020 2:06 AM

Cheers R38. Long drives are quite restorative. Enjoy the fresh air!

by Anonymousreply 39May 27, 2020 2:13 AM

Medical News Today, May 26:

The lungs of people who smoke may contain more of the receptors that the new coronavirus uses to invade cells. This could explain why people with the virus who also smoke appear to be particularly vulnerable to severe illness.

by Anonymousreply 40May 27, 2020 2:17 AM

outside is ok, but outside at a concert with 1000 people crammed together isnt.......same as in a pool or at the beach...crowds are the problem but crowds outside are probably not quite the breeding ground as inside

by Anonymousreply 41May 27, 2020 2:21 AM

R40 YES, several studies on this contradict themselves... The take away is fewer smokers succumb to the infection, and even fewer land in hospital, yet when they do, their outcomes apoear to be worse... or much worse, depending on one's love of modifiers.

by Anonymousreply 42May 27, 2020 2:21 AM

There's obviously alot more to learn about the virus. I wish CNN would do an update of new research on the subject. From what I can tell, states that have opened are NOT seeing major spikes in cases except in hotspots where lots of people live/work/sing together.indoors (factories, nursing homes, churches, etc.) And Vitamin D (sunlight) does seem to play a part in preventing the spread. Some researcher was saying that on CNBC today and the interviewer was very pissed because he didn't want that to true.

So why seal yourself up indoors for week after week if the science may not be there just to prove some political point.

by Anonymousreply 43May 27, 2020 2:30 AM

[quote] Some researcher was saying that on CNBC today and the interviewer was very pissed because he didn't want that to true.

Exacto. The news thrives on panic.

by Anonymousreply 44May 27, 2020 2:32 AM

R13, stop FLOUTING the rules of the English language.

by Anonymousreply 45May 27, 2020 2:35 AM

My wife and I play tennis, bike ride and hike, we will also go backpacking once mosquito season ends. All of these activities seem pretty safe.

by Anonymousreply 46May 27, 2020 2:38 AM

[quote] For all the ridicule the Florida spring breakers generated, they didn’t seem to get sick or infect others. We rightfully attack the right for being impervious to the facts, so we need to be diligent at looking at our own perceived facts that don’t seem to hold up.

Your very much uninformed personal perceptions are not facts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 27, 2020 2:56 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48May 27, 2020 2:58 AM

With all these states opening, where are the massive spikes in deaths? How many are dying in Texas, Florida and Georgia each day?

by Anonymousreply 49May 27, 2020 3:05 AM

R43 Yes, and further down that logical path of thinking, not every community within a given state ought to be under the same orders as more populated regions. Here in Illinois, I think they're wrongly including communities downstate which have very little contact with Chicago, and the Metro area.

I was one of the first people to ring the the alarm bell for the virus, and I didn't believe the WHO or CDC took the right measures as quickly as they could have. However, despite the reality juxtaposed against real life models, I do believe people have become paranoid presently.

The fresh air shall not kill anyone, and going "OUTSIDE" is not a problem. Everyone ought to continue wearing a mask shopping, or going into other busy public areas. Too many are politicising this however, when they fail to make such a distinction. Responsible individuals can go outside and enjoy their lives. That is not the REAL debate.

Why some states like Michigan, refuse to allow individuals to enjoy their boats, etc. is beyond me. Their distinction was sailboats, canoes, and kayaks were to be allowed, yet no power boats.... That's not scientific in my book!

by Anonymousreply 50May 27, 2020 3:08 AM

Barricade yourself in your fucking hovel, OP, but don't expect anyone else to. You want a fucking cookie for locking yourself into your apartment for months? Get off the cross, no one cares.

by Anonymousreply 51May 27, 2020 3:24 AM

OP isn't getting a cookie, nor is he getting any quarantine cake because he failed to make the proper distinction between going OUTSIDE, and engaging in other really risky behaviours which may pose a problem, or threat to public health.

SORRY, but it IS all about the wording when you're trying to make innocent responsible people feel guilty about themselves! (and for going outside!)

Listen up, and study up please.

by Anonymousreply 52May 27, 2020 3:33 AM

[quote] R21: Some of us have lives and don't want to be isolated forever.

Again with this “forever” shit! Once again, it’s just been a few weeks. “Forever” is much, much longer than “a few weeks”. This is just a “temporary inconvenience”. It is not taking a Higgins Boat onto Omaha Beach. Get some perspective and stop being such a baby.

by Anonymousreply 53May 27, 2020 3:36 AM

R53 THAT I do however agree to, as no one said this is FOREVER. However, it must be said that proper distinctions are not made, semantics, and populations included in that. There are too many people afraid to go outside now. This, I find frightfully terrifying, that so many have indeed become somewhat paranoid.

I have friends and family kvetching abot "so-and-so went to a birthday party, SHE went to a BBQ.... It is sadly turning into a queer sort of nanny state wherein many are attempting to control and judge others.

I'm not an American, and don't support Agent Orange personally, but who gives a fuq he had been taking Hydroxychloroquine... Apparently some doc authorised an Rx... Let him and others do what they want. I do believe peoples' sense of powerlessness over this virus contributes to many wishing to control others in such a power vacuum.

Unless we're dealing with major crowds not properly social distancing, or other blatant behaviours which jeopardise the majority: live and let live... Mind your own business. That said, Trump ought to wear a fuqing mask.

by Anonymousreply 54May 27, 2020 3:52 AM

[quote] R54: but who gives a fuq he had been taking Hydroxychloroquine... Apparently some doc authorised an Rx...

I think you should reconsider your opinion about this.

Trump PUBLICLY announced he was taking this medication. It’s not a question of what he privately was doing. He spoke as President, to endorse this medication. I don’t care about his private activity, but this wasn’t a private person doing a private thing - he made it a public matter.

The problem is, of course, that the man is a moron, psychopath, and grifter. He’s ignoring the evidence that the medication is bad for people. I think he enjoys exercising his influence and power to kill people. And either he or an ally is making money off the medication. Moron, psychopath, grifter. We already know all this, it’s been right before our own eyes for three years!

I saw some hillbilly on the news tonight who said that he wouldn’t wear a mask, because Trump wasn't wearing one. So, Trump serves as a role model despite his obvious idiocy, and what he does - how he leads - matters!

by Anonymousreply 55May 27, 2020 4:14 AM

R55 I see it from suchna wholly different perspective; we shall probably never agree on it. I figure, everyone has the right to take any such protocol they like, especially if they're the President of the U.S.... That's his choice, and certainly he probably has more "legal" options as the leader of the country.

Hydroxychloroquine has, and still IS used throughout the world as a treatment for the virus. It has sadly become politicised merely because Agent Orange became a cheerleader. In the rest of the world, that mere tidbid is inconsequential.

by Anonymousreply 56May 27, 2020 4:20 AM

There are several cases where early administration of this drug has saved lives. It's no longer a few "anecdotal" cases. Your FDA has come out against it, yet it is still given in Taiwan, Singapore, and HK. They all have managed the virus remarkably well.

They're certainly not concerned whether Trump is taking it or not. They're also not the least bit concerned your FDA happens to be against it.

It would seem you too are politicising a drug which many take throughout the world with benefits which outweigh the side-effects.

There are those who suffer RA who take a regimen with a few breaks consistently without undue side-effects. It's not fair to villufy such a drug, simply because an association with Donald Trump. I think I see more clearly on the matter as an outside, as well as someone who holds a degree in Public Health.

Hydroxychloroquine is still considered an ESSENTIAL life saving safe drug in many formularies worldwide.

Please don't throw the baby out with the bathwater as they say!

by Anonymousreply 57May 27, 2020 4:29 AM

The medical studies report that the evidence is overwhelming. People in the studies who took this medication had worse outcomes. It’s not ambiguous, the evidence is clear. I’m sure you could google it. Your second paragraph suggests to me that you are unaware of this fact. It doesn’t matter how popular the medication is, the facts are that it is not helpful.

by Anonymousreply 58May 27, 2020 4:30 AM

i don't get why people who want to stay cooped up are so upset about those who want to get out.

for all the complaining about "karens" on here, i don't think i ever see so many in life as when someone posts a picture of people in a park in new york, or some flyover state.

by Anonymousreply 59May 27, 2020 4:33 AM

R58 I n the MAJORITY of cases, the drug was ONLY administered as a last resort, under "compassionate use" per US law... Sadly, oftenvwhen it was far too late: when patients already had progressed into ARDS, and were ready to be intubated for a ventilator.

As Korea has demonstrably shown, prescribed early, it has very positive effects, when administered early on. I read the journals, and sadly you are biased.

There are very few treatment choices, insofar as therapeutics are concerned. Undoubtedly, Remdesivir is better, yet in many such early trials, it was administered concurrently with Hydroxychloroquine.

Please always remember, and don't fail to forget, the U.S. and its FDA are not the final arbiters for the entire world. I dare say you are coming from a decidedly American-centric POV.

by Anonymousreply 60May 27, 2020 4:39 AM

R58 You may also be rightfully confused as to studies regarding an arrhythmia risk, due to Hydroxychloroquine being prescribed concomitantly with the antibiotic Azithromycin. Both drugs sadly prolong the QT interval of the heart, thus taking both concomitantly increase that risk almost exponentially.

When Hydroxychloroquine is administered on its own, or with Zinc, much better outcomes are to be seen. In the States, it is somewhat customary to prescribe the two, as their combined synergistic effect has been effective against other drug resistant pneumonias, as well as DRTB in some cases.

If used early on, without a "Z-Pack", and screened for those with abnormalities in heart rhythm, or other comorbidities, Hydroxychloroquine is not as lethal as you've been lead to believe.

by Anonymousreply 61May 27, 2020 4:50 AM

^ led to believe

by Anonymousreply 62May 27, 2020 4:53 AM

The world is grossly over-populated. This virus is a good thing. Every dead human is a win for the planet.

by Anonymousreply 63May 27, 2020 4:55 AM

Well we heard that the kee-ronavirus was just for big cities with lots of brown people and also for nursing homes. So we don't think we will git it here. And that we're immune 'cause we're white, or if we git it then God will save us. So we ain't worryin' about it.

by Anonymousreply 64May 27, 2020 5:13 AM

[italic]What[/italic] weather has turned?

WEATHER IS DIFFERENT ALL OVER THE WORLD, YOU DUMB FUCK. Everyone who posts on Datalounge is not living in whatever city you live in.

by Anonymousreply 65May 27, 2020 5:48 AM

R65 Did that make your life any less sad?

by Anonymousreply 66May 27, 2020 6:15 AM

[quote] Dr. Anthony Fauci said Wednesday that data shows hydroxychloroquine is not an effective treatment for the coronavirus, disputing use of the drug to fight the deadly virus even as President Donald Trump touts it as a potential cure and says he has taken it himself.

[quote] [bold] "The scientific data is really quite evident now about the lack of efficacy for it," [/bold] Fauci, a key medical adviser on the White House coronavirus task force, told CNN's Jim Sciutto on "Newsroom" of the drug, [bold] adding that there's likelihood of "adverse events with regard to cardiovascular." [/bold]

[quote] Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, is the first Trump administration official to say the drug is not effective in treating the virus based on scientific data. Medical experts and the US Food and Drug Administration, though, have questioned its efficacy and warned of potentially harmful side effects as the President has promoted the treatment.

[quote] France earlier Wednesday moved to ban doctors in the country from prescribing the drug to coronavirus patients.

[quote] The World Health Organization said on Monday it had temporarily halted the study of hydroxychloroquine as a potential Covid-19 treatment in its Solidarity Trial, due to safety concerns.

Muriel isn’t letting me post a link but it’s on CNN’s site today, 5/27/20 titled “Fauci: Science shows hydroxychloroquine is not effective as a coronavirus treatment”, you can google it.

[quote] R60: ... sadly you are biased.

R60, I hope English is a second language for you because you type insufferable. I can only hope it is because you are unfamiliar with the language. Your accusation of bias and your bizarre anti-Americanism is doubly rude.

Dr. Fauci, the CDC, the WHO, and the French have reviewed the studies and have concluded as I have related, the drug has no place as a treatment for COVED. I’m quite sure the facts are the same the world over, that’s what it means to be a fact.

It doesn’t matter how many people want to believe that the drug works, or think it works, or “hear good things about it”, you condescending cunt. If you have a Korean study, post a link or excerpt, but I have no doubt it’s crappy work and/or outdated, since you’re recommending it and you seem to be an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 67May 28, 2020 3:02 AM

[quote] Here’s a study from April, “ Study finds no benefit, higher death rate in patients taking hydroxychloroquine for Covid-19”; and a French study. This was posted to CNN’s site on 4/21/20 and Muriel is not allowing links to this site.

[italic] Coronavirus patients taking hydroxychloroquine, a treatment touted by President Trump, were no less likely to need mechanical ventilation and had higher deaths rates compared to those who did not take the drug, according to a study of hundreds of patients at US Veterans Health Administration medical centers.

The study, which reviewed veterans' medical charts, was posted Tuesday on medrxiv.org, a pre-print server, meaning it was not peer reviewed or published in a medical journal. The research was funded by the National Institutes of Health and the University of Virginia.

French study finds hydroxychloroquine doesn't help patients with coronavirus

In the study of 368 patients, 97 patients who took hydroxychloroquine had a 27.8% death rate. The 158 patients who did not take the drug had an 11.4% death rate.

"An association of increased overall mortality was identified in patients treated with hydroxychloroquine alone. These findings highlight the importance of awaiting the results of ongoing prospective, randomized, controlled studies before widespread adoption of these drugs," wrote the authors, who work at the Columbia VA Health Care System in South Carolina, the University of South Carolina and the University of Virginia. Researchers also looked at whether taking hydroxychloroquine or a combination of hydroxychloroquine and the antibiotic azithromycin, had an effect on whether a patient needed to go on a ventilator.

"In this study, we found no evidence that use of hydroxychloroquine, either with or without azithromycin, reduced the risk of mechanical ventilation in patients hospitalized with Covid-19," the authors wrote.

There are currently no products approved by the US Food and Drug Administration to prevent or treat Covid-19, although research is underway on many drugs. Hydroxychloroquine has been used for decades to treat patients with diseases such as malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. Trump has touted the drug as a "game changer" for Covid-19 and said hydroxychloroquine shows "tremendous promise."

Physicians have warned that while Trump is enthusiastic about the drug, it still needs to be studied to see if it works and if it's safe. Get CNN Health's weekly newsletter

In another recent study, researchers in France examined medical records for 181 Covid-19 patients who had pneumonia and required supplemental oxygen. About half had taken hydroxychloroquine within 48 hours of being admitted to the hospital, and the other half had not.

It found there was no statistically significant difference in the death rates of the two groups, or their chances of being admitted to the intensive care unit. However, it found eight patients who took the drug developed abnormal heart rhythms and had to stop taking it. This research also has not yet been peer-reviewed or published in a medical journal. [/italic]

by Anonymousreply 68May 28, 2020 3:16 AM

Here’s the Lancet from 5/22/20:

[italic] “Based upon these findings and others, no one should take hydroxychloroquine with or without an antibiotic unless they are in a randomized controlled trial. It should not be used in the general population to prevent or to treat COVID-19 infection." [/italic]

[quote] R61: Hydroxychloroquine is not as lethal as you've been lead to believe.

Just how lethal have I been led to believe? I wonder how you know so much about what I know? But aside from that mystery, just how lethal does it have to be? Not as lethal as strychnine? Asbestos? Considering that there is no reliable evidence that it helps, the bar should be pretty low.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69May 28, 2020 3:28 AM

[quote] The results of a new study, which show that hydroxychloroquine is not effective against COVID-19 and is associated with cardiac arrest, could prove to be the final straw for the malaria drug that President Donald Trump repeatedly promoted as a promising treatment for the virus. Dated 5/12/20.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70May 28, 2020 3:33 AM

[quote] JAMA Article- Conclusions and Relevance: The COVID-19 pandemic represents the greatest global public health crisis of this generation and, potentially, since the pandemic influenza outbreak of 1918. The speed and volume of clinical trials launched to investigate potential therapies for COVID-19 highlight both the need and capability to produce high-quality evidence even in the middle of a pandemic. No therapies have been shown effective to date.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71May 28, 2020 3:36 AM

[quote]Remember when this started in March and we decided we were going to stay indoors for as long as it took?

We did?

by Anonymousreply 72May 28, 2020 3:41 AM

R69 It looks as if your oft quoted Lancet study has been retracted. Oops!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73June 5, 2020 5:42 AM

It would appear that a few Yalies disagree with The Lancet study as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74June 5, 2020 5:48 AM

WHO have decided to resume their HQC trials in light of flawed methodology, as well as their mysterious data sets coming into question. Now the source of such specious data sets even deny they ARE the source.

This was all part of greed on behalf Big Parma as there isn't any money to be made from HCQ.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75June 5, 2020 5:58 AM

the weather is getting hotter and hotter...Most people have masks on but I see many of them are wearing them below the nose, guess it's hard to breathe in the fucking heat.

by Anonymousreply 76June 5, 2020 6:09 AM

We are having nothing but rain here.

by Anonymousreply 77June 5, 2020 6:16 AM

Fuck off

by Anonymousreply 78June 5, 2020 6:20 AM

Sorry, OP, but staying inside out of fear of Corona is exactly the wrong thing to do. It's both ignorant and unhealthy, since the virus particles disperse far better outdoors in fresh air, and UV light has also been shown to speed the virus's breakdown and inhibit its spread.

Not to mention that exercise is healthy, and it's far safer to do that outdoors than in a gym these days.

Plus, the depression for which many people are at risk from being cooped up is likely as big a health risk as the very moderate risk of catchin COVID in a park.

by Anonymousreply 79June 5, 2020 2:21 PM

Nobody's saying you can't go outside and get some fresh air and sunshine. Nobody's saying you can't take a walk. Nobody wants you to wither away from inactivity and sensory deprivation.

by Anonymousreply 80June 5, 2020 2:43 PM

R71 You look quite closed minded with your closure "Case Closed".... Science is constantly evolving, and full of changed perspectives the more we know, and persevere amidst uncertainy. These words are as brilliant as the "settled science" one hears bandied about when any moron begins yelling "Anti-Vaxxer".

Science shall continue to often be vague, or unsure of many things: often contradicting information is released within a matter of just a few days, as in this case. We do no favours to aid science, or to curtail human suffering when we politicise these matters.

Science is not static, and it is no arena for politics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81June 6, 2020 2:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!