Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Costa Rica passes Gay Marriage

First nation in Central America.

"“Today we celebrate freedom, equality and democratic institutions. May empathy and love be the compass that allows us to get ahead and build a country where all the people fit,”

-Costa Rican President Carlos Quesada

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 27, 2020 8:40 PM

Some good news!

by Anonymousreply 1May 26, 2020 9:41 PM

Yay! Congrats, Costa Rica.

by Anonymousreply 2May 26, 2020 9:43 PM

Magnificent. Germany, Switzerland, Italy, I'm looking at you, gurls.

by Anonymousreply 3May 26, 2020 10:11 PM

It would still be illegal in the US if only Republicans had appointed Justices to the Supreme Court, or if it took an act of Congress. Think about that when you vote.

by Anonymousreply 4May 27, 2020 1:08 AM

Pura Vida!

by Anonymousreply 5May 27, 2020 2:03 AM

R4, your history is a little fuzzy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 27, 2020 2:07 AM

R3, I can't believe Germany hasn't passed gay marriage.

Switzerland, I can see -- uptight.

Italy: don't hold your breath. Unfortunately, I know this one too well. Maybe the next generation?

by Anonymousreply 7May 27, 2020 2:11 AM

Great news!

by Anonymousreply 8May 27, 2020 2:22 AM

I did not know Costa Rica was so progressive.

by Anonymousreply 9May 27, 2020 3:06 AM

I'm glad Latin America is often way more progressive than Asian, Eastern European, and African countries. I've heard great things about Costa Rica. And most of the men I've met from there have been hot as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 10May 27, 2020 3:09 AM

R10, I'm rather certain that all of Latin America will pass gay marriage before all of Europe.

by Anonymousreply 11May 27, 2020 3:32 AM

R11, I agree with you. I cannot imagine countries like Bulgaria, Ukraine, Romania, etc. passing gay marriage anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 12May 27, 2020 3:33 AM

R12, unfortunately, no. Some of those Eastern Euro/former Soviet countries are stuck in the 1950s and they're headed the opposite way back towards the 1930s.

by Anonymousreply 13May 27, 2020 5:05 AM

[quote]Italy: don't hold your breath. Unfortunately, I know this one too well. Maybe the next generation?

WTF? Italy PASSED same sex unions 4 years ago! With all the same rights as a legal marriage. The only thing they held back on is adoption and the word marriage, it has to be called a civil union.

by Anonymousreply 14May 27, 2020 6:46 AM

[quote]I can't believe Germany hasn't passed gay marriage.

Not a surprise, they are all in the closet there. They live for the gay bars with back room and cruising the woods. Not in the closet like American where you deny you are gay, its more of a social stain or kink people pretend isn't there and don't want to talk about it, but ok if it's not really out in the open.

I was just there about 2 years ago. One guy I talked to said the main reason they have so many bars with back rooms for sex is you can just come in for a drink, have sex, and then go home. When he asked how it was done in America he was shocked that you would actually take someone to your home. He said most gays there would never do that, thier lives are private...bla, bla, bla. He had a totally compartmentalized idea of being gay. And he considered himself out and in the open.

by Anonymousreply 15May 27, 2020 6:55 AM

R6, your Russian whataboutism is showing.

"But... but... but... whatabout Obama?"

by Anonymousreply 16May 27, 2020 7:02 AM

Italy DOES NOT. have gay marriage. They have civil union which is not gay marriage.

by Anonymousreply 17May 27, 2020 8:58 AM

Yes, r17, that's what I said. But unlike America used to do, their civil unions get all the rights of straights who get married except for adoption. That's a lot different from say Russia, don't you think?

by Anonymousreply 18May 27, 2020 11:01 AM

Same-sex marriage has actually been legal in Germany since October 2017

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 27, 2020 11:11 AM

...and everyone has their own definition of what rights a civil union brings...which is why a separate definition of “marriage“ could never work in the US. Separate is NOT equal.

by Anonymousreply 20May 27, 2020 11:29 AM

And every country has a different definition of marriage as well r20 so it's not a fair comparison. In some countries you can be married under the age of 18, or to a goat.

The reason civil unions vs marriage didn't work here is the US is not about definitions, it was about some states having civil unions and some not at all. It's not practical for one country to have your rights change from state to state. Plus they were not recognized by the federal government so no benefits. That is not what Italy did. Civil unions are across the whole country equally. They just have not accepted the term Marriage yet, its an old country with a lot of old people in it, I am sure over time that will change, but the basic rights are there and that's what counts.

by Anonymousreply 21May 27, 2020 11:47 AM

Germany has had same-sex marriage for a couple of years now r3/r7/r15

by Anonymousreply 22May 27, 2020 11:53 AM

R17, thank you!

You saved me from engaging in the endless loop of an Italy/gay marriage argument that I've already had multiple times with another poster here who is very sensitive about any slight criticism towards Italy. Nevermind that I'm also Italian...

Anyhow, this thread is about Costa Rica. Congrats to them!

by Anonymousreply 23May 27, 2020 11:56 AM

Italy is still a homophobic country by western standards, with gayness being kept largely in secret.

by Anonymousreply 24May 27, 2020 11:59 AM

R24, Italy is the headquarters of the Catholic Church and, outside of Japan, has the most ancient population in the whole entire world.

It is not an aggressively homophobic place, but also not a place where, as a gay man or a lesbian, you will feel particularly welcome or equal to a straight nuclear family.

by Anonymousreply 25May 27, 2020 12:10 PM

Good news, been waiting for this ever since I heard they were about to legalize it.

by Anonymousreply 26May 27, 2020 2:57 PM

[quote] The only thing they held back on is adoption and the word marriage, it has to be called a civil union.

And that doesn't sound messed up to you? That's pretty significant.

by Anonymousreply 27May 27, 2020 3:51 PM

R15, I always heard that Germany was really progressive when it comes to all things gay?

by Anonymousreply 28May 27, 2020 3:53 PM

No, Germany was not progressive in the law re gay rights which was a contradiction to practice.

by Anonymousreply 29May 27, 2020 8:38 PM

Costa Rica is gorgeous. It's definitely worth a trip if you're into this kind of scenery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 27, 2020 8:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!