Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Clive Barker, what's his deal?

I was a fan of his short stories and novels in my teens (i.e., early 90s) but pretty much forgot about him, until YouTube recommended an old interview of his and I clicked it on a whim. Afterwards, I followed up with a few other interviews, some older and some more recent-ish. He seemed like a genuinely intelligent, thoughtful, enthusiastic and, overall, well put together man.

Based on more recent pictures, however, I thought that he must have been into hardcore drugs and fetish sex all his life. Then again, in his interviews he derided drug use to access the imagination several times. (Could have been bullshit, of course...) What happened to him? He was so handsome when he was younger!

I seem to remember that he moved to LA at some point, so surely some of you West Coast bitches must know more about what kind of guy he is. Spill!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 26, 2020 2:21 PM

He's been HIV positive for years and the drugs have affected his looks. I also think he must have been on steroids over the years. If you look at his early bio pics hes very slender but at some point he bulked up and cultivated a kind of leather daddy look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 26, 2020 8:30 AM

Wasn’t there rumors he engaged in some unprotected sex without informing his partners of his status? And there was something very sketchy about his choice of partners too?

by Anonymousreply 2May 26, 2020 8:40 AM

Interesting, R1 & R2!

The lawsuit was dismissed eventually because the ex didn't produce more evidence, but it doesn't sound so far-fetched to me to be honest, based on how Barker looks now...

[Quote] Emilian David Armstrong says in the suit ... he met Barker in early 1996, and they quickly moved in together. Armstrong had a daughter from a previous heterosexual relationship. She also moved in.

[Quote] Armstrong says in November, 1996, he was diagnosed with HIV. The suit claims Barker had tested positive and had urged Armstrong to get tested. Armstrong is convinced -- Barker gave him HIV.

[Quote] Armstrong says Barker confessed he had previously engaged in a sexual relationship with his own cousin, who had AIDS -- and also engaged in sadomasochism in prior relationships that involved syringes.

[Quote] As for why Armstrong waited 16 years to file a lawsuit -- Armstrong says he and Barker tried to work out their relationship and battle the virus together ... but things started to go south in 2003.

[Quote] According to the lawsuit, that's when Barker became addicted to prescription painkillers such as Vicodin, Percocet, Demerol, and Oxycodone. Armstrong claims Barker would mix these drugs with alcohol, cocaine, and/or crystal meth and use them for recreation.

[Quote] But Armstrong says he still didn't give up on the relationship -- and tried to help Barker through his drug problems ... but they only got worse. Armstrong says Barker started throwing drug-fueled parties with young men ranging in age from 19 to early 20's.

[Quote] The suit claims in 2009, Barker kicked Armstrong out of his house -- along with Armstrong's daughter -- and left them destitute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 26, 2020 9:07 AM

One of the interviews I watched: a younger Barker in 1992...

Did LA ruin him?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 26, 2020 9:13 AM

That’s a crazy story about his partner. It sad he went the drugs route. If he looked after himself after a diagnosis he would have been a more responsible person too I imagine.

by Anonymousreply 5May 26, 2020 9:22 AM

I think Clive Barker is amazing. For sure one of the best horror writers ever, his imagination is absolutely incredible.

I'm pretty sure he's been into all kinds of hedonistic shit in his life, and why the fuck not?

by Anonymousreply 6May 26, 2020 12:17 PM

I posted on some other thread about him that, years ago, I knocked around with one of his ex-lovers. He told me Barker had been into some fairly dark stuff. Bondage and complete immobilisation, but roped so tightly the circulation to limbs is cut off. Kind of a necrophiliacs tinge to it. Also that he was terrified of ageing and obsessed with surgery or anything else that might keep gravity and inevitability at bay.

The man had truly out there ideas and I guess not all of it came out just in the work.

by Anonymousreply 7May 26, 2020 2:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!