Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Movies With Inaccurate Billing

I just watched the wonderful "The Best Years Of Our Lives" on TCM. The film was great, but I was puzzled by the opening credits. Top billing went to Myrna Loy. Myrna is very good, but her role is clearly a supporting one. Dana Andrews and Frederic March ( hell, even Teresa Wright or Harold Russell) are the true focus of the film. Then I realized that Loy's name was a big draw at the time the film was released, so that's probably the reason she appears first in the credits. Same thing with "GoodFellas". The movie revolves around Ray Liotta's character from beginning to end, but Robert DeNiro gets listed first.

Any other films where this type of undeserved billing occurs?

by Anonymousreply 38June 15, 2020 6:28 AM

Angie Dickinson is second billed in "Dressed to Kill."

by Anonymousreply 1May 26, 2020 2:38 AM

I can understand it, because they were huge A-Listers, but Christopher Reeve was billed third behind Marlon Brando and Gene Hackman in Superman.

by Anonymousreply 2May 26, 2020 2:39 AM

That's Miss Angie Dickinson, R1.

by Anonymousreply 3May 26, 2020 2:39 AM

Christopher Reeves

Sally Fields

by Anonymousreply 4May 26, 2020 2:40 AM

If the true star of the movie is an unknown, sometimes he or she will be billed last, but get an "and introducing" credit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 26, 2020 11:06 PM

[quote] Then I realized that Loy's name was a big draw at the time the film was released, so that's probably the reason she appears first in the credits.

Partly, although she was kind of a has been by mid 40's. But most of the time the credit placement is spelled out in the actor's contract.

by Anonymousreply 6May 26, 2020 11:21 PM

Vivien Leigh got 4th billing in GWTW

by Anonymousreply 7June 14, 2020 12:44 AM

Schwarzenegger got top billing in George Clooney's Batman movie.

by Anonymousreply 8June 14, 2020 12:50 AM

R7 Because she was making her Hollywood debut. Clark Gable, Leslie Howard, and Olivia De Haviland were already Hollywood stars.

by Anonymousreply 9June 14, 2020 12:51 AM

I've always felt the two true stars of "Close Encounters" were Richard Dreyfuss and Melinda Dillon but Dillon was not a big name, so she got pushed to 4th billing behind Dreyfus, Francois Truffaut and Teri Garr.

by Anonymousreply 10June 14, 2020 12:54 AM

R9 which is why I should have been nominated for Leafing Actress!

by Anonymousreply 11June 14, 2020 1:06 AM

Leading

by Anonymousreply 12June 14, 2020 1:06 AM

[quote]Angie Dickinson is second billed in "Dressed to Kill."

Well, that was taking a page from Psycho's book. Janet Leigh and Angie were given star billing so that it would really startle people when they are both killed off relatively early in their films.

by Anonymousreply 13June 14, 2020 1:22 AM

No. Janet Leigh got the "and" credit, which signalled a big star in a featured/cameo role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 14, 2020 2:37 AM

Inaccurate? Are you pretending these aren't determined by their contracts and agents and managers, or something?

by Anonymousreply 15June 14, 2020 3:42 AM

Helen Lawson got top billing in the 1975 disaster movie BLIMP, even though she was one of the first passengers to die.

by Anonymousreply 16June 14, 2020 3:47 AM

Myrna Loy was a HUGE star. In the 30s she had been named "The Queen of Hollywood" in the same poll that christened Clark Gable "The King of Hollywood." Her biggest fan was FDR, who was absolutely gaga over her and arranged specially to meet her.

She was a bigger star at the time than Fredric March or Teresa Wright or Dana Andrews, the other major stars of the film. And Harold Russell was a nobody until the film premiered.

by Anonymousreply 17June 14, 2020 6:06 AM

I wonder if Myna did some deal behind the scenes.

She gets top billing for the indignity of playing a matron. She's 41 years old playing a mother to 28 year old Teresa Wright.

William Wyler's last proper movie, Mrs MIniver, had 38 year old Greer Garson playing a mother to 24 year old Teresa Wright. And Garson was rewarded with an Oscar for the indignity of playing a matron.

by Anonymousreply 18June 14, 2020 6:17 AM

There was also Claudette Colbert two years later than Garson, at 41 playing Mom to 26 year old Jennifer Jones (+ 16 year old Shirley Temple, a better fit).

by Anonymousreply 19June 14, 2020 6:54 PM

[quote]Janet Leigh got the "and" credit, which signalled a big star in a featured/cameo role.

No. Hitchcock was quite vocal in later interviews about the fact that he wanted people to assume Leigh was the star, so that they would be shocked by her death so early in the film. Note her prominence on the poster (and the complete lack of representation of Vera Miles, the real female star of the film). Miles, as the real female lead, had top billing after Perkins. The only way to present Leigh in such a case was to place her at the end with "and" status. It wasn't just to signify cameos at the time.

by Anonymousreply 20June 14, 2020 6:58 PM

R18 wyler’s last proper movie was M.M.? Hardly. The Best Years of Our Lives and Detective Story were superb. Ben-Hur was hardly typical of him, but very good in the sandals and swords epic tradition.

by Anonymousreply 21June 14, 2020 7:31 PM

[quote] Helen Lawson got top billing in the 1975 disaster movie BLIMP, even though she was one of the first passengers to die.

Apparently you didn’t watch it all the way through. Turns out she was tangled in the mooring ropes and managed to drag herself back into the passenger compartment in time to get revenge on the bastard who threw her overboard, and his little dog, too.

by Anonymousreply 22June 14, 2020 7:40 PM

Jack Nicholson got top billing in the first Batman movie.

by Anonymousreply 23June 14, 2020 7:40 PM

Sophie's Choice.

by Anonymousreply 24June 14, 2020 8:46 PM

Marilyn Monroe got top billing in Some Like It Hot, even though Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis did most of the work.

By the way that's a Marilyn stand-in on the movie poster. She was a no-show when the pic was taken.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 14, 2020 8:53 PM

R18 Garson didn’t play Wright’s mother, but rather mother-in-law. Garson later married the actor who played her onscreen son, 12 years her junior.

by Anonymousreply 26June 14, 2020 8:54 PM

R21 I'm sorry. I used the word 'last' when I should have said 'previous'.

'Mrs Miniver' was Wyler's previous movie to 'Best years' (excepting those army instructional films)

by Anonymousreply 27June 14, 2020 10:23 PM

R27 thanks for clarifying—I see what you mean now.

by Anonymousreply 28June 14, 2020 10:49 PM

My billing was ALWAYS accurate!

by Anonymousreply 29June 14, 2020 10:53 PM

Joan Crawford got billed to right of Norma Shearer in The Women. Joan should have been in first position with a single title card.

by Anonymousreply 30June 14, 2020 11:00 PM

R30 No. Norma Shearer's character is the Lead and she was First Lady of MGM.

by Anonymousreply 31June 14, 2020 11:09 PM

Maximilian Schell took home the Best Actor Oscar for "Judgment at Nuremberg," but on the poster, he's billed 5th (6th if you consider Judy Garland's creative unaligned billing as being ahead of his). I believe he has more screen time than his bigger-named co-stars Marlene Dietrich and Richard Widmark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 14, 2020 11:16 PM

[quote]Movies With Inaccurate Billing

I blame that Ginny.

by Anonymousreply 33June 14, 2020 11:24 PM

Nonsense. It’s the loss of Ginny that caused all the problems. Say what you will about her as a person, but that woman knew her billing.

by Anonymousreply 34June 15, 2020 4:15 AM

Streisand should have given Nick Nolte top billing in The Prince of Tides.

regarding Close Encounters Melinda Dillon's name doesn't even appear in the opening credits (nor does Teri Garr) I wonder if that is a rare time that a non-front billed actor got a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 35June 15, 2020 5:33 AM

Miss Dunaway writes in her book that she encouraged Sharon Stone to fight for above the title billing like she got in Bonnie and Clyde. (Faye says Warren generously gave it to her but someone on DL told me she had to take a pay cut to get it.) Michael Douglas wouldn't hear of it and Sharon got under the title billing. Odd now she is all that you really remember about the film.

by Anonymousreply 36June 15, 2020 5:36 AM

[quote]she was First Lady of MGM

A title she got on her back.

by Anonymousreply 37June 15, 2020 6:19 AM

In retrospect, Janet Leigh getting the "and" credit should have tipped people off that something was up. If they wanted to shock/fool people, it would've made more sense to give her top billing.

by Anonymousreply 38June 15, 2020 6:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!