Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's talk about Loquats.

These tiny little fruits aren't that famous for some reason. Do you like them ?

I think they are delicious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 26, 2020 11:55 PM

Loquats are so hot right now! Loquats.

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2020 11:29 PM

Love them. Only have had the canned ones, haven't ever had them fresh, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2020 11:31 PM

[quote] Loquats are so hot right now! Loquats.

LOLcats!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2020 11:35 PM

Love them. They're ubiquitous in Southern California and grow everywhere -- a rather hearty, resilient tree that can put up with drought conditions. A neighbor lady just lets me pick them from her tree.

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2020 11:41 PM

Like the above poster said they’re everywhere in LA. I think they must’ve been a fad in the teens and into the 20s. I grew up in a craftsman house that was built in 1919 and our property had three fully mature Loquat trees. Actually our whole entire neighborhood was full of them. They are not easily marketable because they are very sensitive once picked and they bruise easily and so transportation to market is not an option. So if you live in LA you can eat them fresh off the tree but I’ve never seen them in any market anywhere because of their sensitivity to packing.

by Anonymousreply 5May 26, 2020 12:20 AM

I have a tree in my yard...perfect afternoon snack

by Anonymousreply 6May 26, 2020 1:07 AM

They grow well in Houston.

by Anonymousreply 7May 26, 2020 2:17 AM

they hang lo

by Anonymousreply 8May 26, 2020 2:21 AM

How is one supposed to eat them ? Peel off the skin and then swallow it ?

by Anonymousreply 9May 26, 2020 2:50 AM

Whenever I eat one I become quite loquacious.

by Anonymousreply 10May 26, 2020 2:56 AM

R9, I wash them and eat with the skin, careful to discard the rather large seeds. Some people go through the trouble of peeling them.

by Anonymousreply 11May 26, 2020 5:51 AM

r11 I peel the skin too. I find them a little bitter with skin.

by Anonymousreply 12May 26, 2020 5:54 AM

R12, they actually do taste better that way. I'm just too lazy for it, lol.

by Anonymousreply 13May 26, 2020 5:58 AM

swing lo(quats), sweet chariot. . . .

by Anonymousreply 14May 26, 2020 12:20 PM

Are they the ones that have roughly the taste and texture of apples? I quite like them, but I've only had them a few times, since they don't grow where I live.

by Anonymousreply 15May 26, 2020 12:27 PM

I've only eaten them as shesek in Israel. Delicious, but definitely peel them

by Anonymousreply 16May 26, 2020 12:27 PM

[quote]Are they the ones that have roughly the taste and texture of apples? I quite like them, but I've only had them a few times, since they don't grow where I live.

They are related to apples, but quite different.

They are delicate and somewhat creamy in texture, with a pleasantly mild flavor, a bit like a fresh apricot. Unfortunately they bruise and spoil easily so don't make it to market often.

[quote]I wash them and eat with the skin, careful to discard the rather large seeds.

Those seeds are easy to grow fruit like the parent tree.

by Anonymousreply 17May 26, 2020 12:38 PM

They make a good jam/preserves. If you have enough of them, they can even be made into a pie.

by Anonymousreply 18May 26, 2020 4:33 PM

What about CUMquats?

by Anonymousreply 19May 26, 2020 6:55 PM

Yum!

by Anonymousreply 20May 26, 2020 7:10 PM

I just love saying the word “loquat”!

by Anonymousreply 21May 26, 2020 11:24 PM

I like saying the word Nig...

by Anonymousreply 22May 26, 2020 11:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!