Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Can You Mix Blinds and Plantation Shutters?

If I do plantation shutters on the lover level windows, do I have to do them on the upper levels as well? I want to either blinds or shades on the side windows. Thoughts?

Yes, I know this is a very gay thread. But I'm curious.

by Anonymousreply 16May 29, 2020 3:08 PM

Good question, I'm trying to make the exact same decision about shutters on the ground floor. I hate to throw out my existing drapes on the 2nd and 3rd floors.

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2020 5:05 PM

As sure as you can mix ammonia and bleach.

by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2020 5:08 PM

You can mix. We did it. One of the things you can do is order the same "slat" thickness for both the shutters and the blinds, and they often look interchangeable from a distance outside.

We had big windows on the front of a "Florida-style" house. I did shutters in the dining room and the office, but couldn't justify it in the garage window which also faced the front. The difference from the outside was hardly noticeable.

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2020 5:17 PM

Just shutters and maybe a valance on top. Don't forget the matching wallpaper border.

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2020 5:17 PM

Thanks R3. I appreciate your help.

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2020 5:26 PM

What’s wrong with mismatched sheets on the windows?

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2020 5:38 PM

Nothing, R6, and anyone who tells you otherwise is a pure elitist.

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2020 5:46 PM

it's your house. you can do literally whatever you want.

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2020 6:00 PM

I had to learn that myself, rescue.

I like certain things, and when I recently had work done in the house I was hesitant about certain choices. Then I said “fuck it. It’s my house and I have to like it, nobody else. I’m not on the cover of House Beautiful or some bullshit. Enjoy your house and your choices.”

I give the same advice to the OP.

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2020 6:58 PM

Valences bark cloth I dare you.

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2020 8:59 PM

In English, r10.

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2020 9:02 PM

It is with greatest trepidation that I beg your consideration of the valance when topping your dust-prone sadistic cat magnet shutters.

Please also consider using bark cloth because I told you to do so. And r11 is bossy.

by Anonymousreply 12May 26, 2020 12:13 AM

All windows facing the front should have the same type of window coverings. (actually all the house should be same, but I am giving you a break). Draperies lined in neutral colors (shows to outside only). If shutters, ll should be same and neutral. I am very tasteful, but if you want the "rules", these are the rules.

by Anonymousreply 13May 26, 2020 4:35 AM

I was joking about the valances at R4. And of course about the wallpaper border. Can you do just shutters? I've done that - even in the front of the house - unless it will bother you that people can see your head when you walk by.

by Anonymousreply 14May 29, 2020 2:47 PM

A GAY thread? Is this a GAY website?

by Anonymousreply 15May 29, 2020 2:57 PM

It's fine to ask, OP, unless you're a twat - which you would be if you were a woman posting what you did.

Got it?

Are your plantation shutters operational?

Do you live on a plantation?

Oh. You mean the INDOOR version. Sorry. We have the old ones on the outside and use them in storms and when we have vampires visiting for the rare luncheon with them.

Of course shades may be used on a second floor, or on the same floor. It is more presentable from the exterior if the are relatively discrete, meaning not alternating them across a house.

Go ahead. Just watch those colors, please.

by Anonymousreply 16May 29, 2020 3:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!