Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Paul Feig says US presidential election was to blame for ‘Ghostbusters’ reboot box office failure

Paul Feig, director of 2016’s Ghostbusters reboot, has blamed the US presidential election for the movie’s poor showing at the box office.

Speaking in a new interview, the filmmaker said he believes that the backlash against presidential candidate Hillary Clinton directly led to the failure of the all-female reboot, starring Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones.

“I think some really brilliant author…needs to write a book about 2016 and how intertwined we were with Hillary [Clinton] and the anti-Hillary movement,” Feig said on Jess Cagle’s SiriusXM show.

“Everyone was at a boiling point. I don’t know if it was having an African American president for eight years that they were teed up, they were just ready to explode.”

He continued: “It’s crazy how people got nuts about women trying to be empowered or be in positions they weren’t normally in, and it was an ugly, ugly year.”

Feig also discussed Donald Trump’s 2015 tirade against the movie, where he slammed it for having “only women.” “By the time I announced I was going to do it, it started,” Feig explained, referring to the internet backlash.

The first trailer for all-female reboot became one of the most hated movie trailers in YouTube history, with dislikes overwhelmingly outnumbering the likes.

Wiig, who played Erin Gilbert in the movie, said at the time that she was surprised by the controversy, while Jones, who starred as Patty Tolan, quit Twitter for a period to escape the racist and sexist attacks she was getting following the release of Ghostbusters.

Dan Aykroyd, star of the original two Ghostbusters movies, said he blames director Feig entirely for the 2016 version’s failure. Speaking on Channel 4’s ‘Sunday Brunch’, the actor said: “The director, he spent too much on it and he didn’t shoot scenes we suggested to him.”

“Several scenes that were going to be needed, he said, ‘No, we don’t need them.’ And then we tested the movie and they needed them, and he had to go back – about $30 to $40 million in reshoots.”

Another Ghostbusters reboot, Ghostbusters 2020, is to be released next year, and will be directed by Jason Reitman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 26, 2020 6:08 AM

Hey Feig: The script sucked!

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2020 4:22 PM

Dan Aykroyd is right. The film was just bad. Comedies like this need a grounded character, but all the characters were wacky. The improvisational stuff went on too long, reminding us of the current product of SNL. The special effects were bad. The villain sucked as did the ending. The original had some mile suspense and thrills, this one had none of that. There were some people who boycotted the film just based on the premise, but most people could tell it sucked just from the trailer.

by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2020 4:25 PM

Give it up! The movie wasn't funny, Kristen Wiig and Kate McKinnon are not funny, there was no chemistry among any of the leads. Bridesmaids was a huge hit so it's not that the public isn't ready for a female comedy. This move just sucked. Period.

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2020 4:26 PM

Why would he want to rehash that mess?

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2020 4:27 PM

Paul, accept a failure and move on. Stop playing the blame game.

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2020 4:28 PM

I blame Milo Yianapolous. Remember he was deleted off twitter for not being a fan of Leslie Jones’ performance?

Stuff like that is why Trump won.

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2020 4:29 PM

I typically love his work (especially with McCarthy and Wiig) but Ghostbusters 2016 was just a shitty movie. There’s no reason to rehash it. Everyone involved has moved on to better things.

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2020 4:30 PM

This was one of the worst movies ever made. He sounds insane.

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2020 5:07 PM

I actually didn't have a big problem with the women characters.

It was the story, dialog, and plot that sucked.

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2020 6:08 PM

CLOSET KWEEN ALERT!

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2020 6:26 PM

Paul Fag's GHOSTBUSTERS has some virulently anti-male gags in it, such as firing the guns into the giant ghost's crotch at the end.

Being pro-woman is one thing; being anti-male and trashing men all movie is another.

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2020 6:30 PM

R11 I thought people were just being hyperbolic but you're right. Chris Hemsworth's character was an embarrassment. The villain was a swipe at male geeks, and of course that ending was totally stupid. This conception of girl power is so played out. People don't want to see overpowered characters in action movies period. Relatable characters of either gender is what gets people to care.

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2020 6:35 PM

There was a bizarre amount of vitriol aimed at the movie before it was released. Mostly from trolls and regressives who thought attacking straw feminists made them look smart.

But then the movie was released, and conservatives and liberals could unite in their disdain for such a crappy movie.

Thanks for bring us together, Paul!

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2020 7:57 PM

The movies wasn't terrible, it was just OK and comedies shouldn't be just OK. The girls should have been the original characters daughters continuing their work. AND the Hemsworth kid has zero comedy chops and was awful in his part.

by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2020 8:05 PM

“'I think some really brilliant author…needs to write a book about 2016 and how intertwined we were with Hillary [Clinton] and the anti-Hillary movement,' Feig said..."

Bwahahaha academics of the future will see how intertwined a lazy warmed over remake of an also lazy, but charming, older film and international geopolitics really are.

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2020 8:06 PM

Honest Trailer shows the many ways this film was awful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 25, 2020 8:16 PM

no One even mentions how awful bill murrays cameo was. That tells you how awful everything else was.

by Anonymousreply 17May 25, 2020 8:33 PM

Feig is delusional.

That movie benefited from way more goodwill than it deserved *because of* the right-wing backlash. When I went to see it, the audience was force-laughing at gags that were objectively unfunny, they were that desperate to support it. The movie made a small profit, and Feig should thank the unhinged MRAs for that. Had it not been for them, Ghostbusters '16 would have lost money.

And, honestly, I thought the movie was sexist toward women. The female characters didn't remotely act like scientists, they were a sexist's stereotype of laydee scientists, and, given that, the "girl power" bullshit was insulting.

It seems like some studios have noticed how these right-wing backlashes benefit mediocre movies and have tried to capitalize on it. I'm 90 percent sure that's what Elizabeth Banks was trying to do when she tried to blame men for the failure of the Charlie's Angels reboot. Unfortunately for her, no one took the bait.

Back to Feig, I heard that he desperately wanted a dance number toward the end of the movie, and someone higher up told him no. Reportedly Feig broke down crying on set when that terrible idea was shot down.

by Anonymousreply 18May 25, 2020 8:33 PM

Just tried to re-watch the trailer. Recall I could only watch part of it when I first heard of the movie coming out. Remember the Conservative backlash against the movie that ALL of the characters seemed to be trying to be copying masculine stereotypes but dismally failing, and therefore appeared almost indistinguishable. Personalities weren't distinct or different from each other either.

Why does Hollywood think that super powerful, successful women can't be sexy? It's either pretty and dumb and even bland or the total opposite (and still bland?) Give me the woman heroines of the past movies who were complex characters, fascinating to watch, and far more inspirational then the characters in this Ghostbusters' reboot.

by Anonymousreply 19May 25, 2020 8:40 PM

They did shoot a dance number but it was cut. It played during the closing credits, much to my confusion.

by Anonymousreply 20May 25, 2020 9:04 PM

Paul is a cutey, I'd do him.

by Anonymousreply 21May 25, 2020 9:08 PM

The alt-right used the movie to give their followers something to rile against. Milo Y. orchestrated the whole thing of down voting the official trailer.

by Anonymousreply 22May 25, 2020 9:10 PM

Lets face it "Ghostbusters" wasn't a great movie either, And for all the bitching about the re-make...I have two words for you "Ghostbusters II!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 25, 2020 9:45 PM

So Hillary is to blame for this too?

by Anonymousreply 24May 25, 2020 9:48 PM

R23 RAPED MY CHILDHOOD WAAAAAAAAHHHH

by Anonymousreply 25May 25, 2020 10:18 PM

R17 I'm surprised they got Bill to show up.

R21 he was kind of cute as Mr Pool on Sabrina.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 26, 2020 6:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!