Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I dislike Memorial Day

Poignant, bittersweet memories are ever-present all day.

And while it lasts only 24 hours, its brevity only reinforces how it perfectly symbolizes the relentlessness of Time.

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2020 11:06 AM

I don't know anyone personally who died in a US war, so for me it's not terribly poignant. It's more a nice excuse to lounge about in the hammock, grill burgers and eat ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2020 10:35 AM

[quote] It's more a nice excuse to lounge about in the hammock, grill burgers and eat ice cream.

Here, you're supposed to be scolded for not grasping the meaning of Memorial Day.

Not from me, though. After all, isn't that what US military personnel fought to preserve? That is, if you set aside the profit motive of war-making.

by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2020 10:47 AM

Well there is a quietness to it that, e.g., the 4th of July lacks. Yet it is, as we are always reminded, 'the unofficial start of summer'. I've always liked it, as I am a summery but somewhat quiet kind of gurl.

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2020 11:04 AM

I had friends when I lived in DC, and we would picnic at Constitution Gardens (17th and Constitution) on Memorial Day. Or else on that strip of land across from the Watergate, right on the Potomac. I memorialize doing that today. Hardly any of us are in DC now, some not even alive.

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2020 11:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!