Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

U.S. Presidents are put in by some elite powerful few not general election

I’ve heard this by several people and even given some name of such group which I forgot as I don’t believe this. Do any of you hear this nonsense?

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2020 11:36 PM

Hear it? I've had the same thought myself.

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2020 7:14 AM

20 bucks says OP is a Deep State troll.

by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2020 7:21 AM

There is a theory in political science called elite theory, which posits that elites hold tremendous sway in setting the political agenda, influencing politicians, etc.

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2020 7:40 AM

Bilderberg conference

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2020 7:45 AM

Anyone using 'elite' as a noun is a shit for brains moron or KGB bot.

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2020 8:08 AM

^its not used as a noun by me ...ur the shit 4 brains

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2020 8:20 AM

[quote] its not used as a noun by me ...ur the shit 4 brains

Oh, the irony. Keep on trollin', OP!

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2020 8:28 AM

The nominees you vote for are selected by the elites who control the two parties in the first place, and then then the selected candidates need to kowtow to the elites to get their monetary and media support. So yes, no real clean and independent politicians can ever become president.

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2020 8:34 AM

I think they do their damnedest to determine the outcome of elections. Certainly they hold much more sway than they should, but that doesn't mean they select candidates and the winner. If they did, Trump wouldn't be president. The powers that be would be much more content with technocrat Hillary in the White House, and, while I often detest TPTB, I'll concede that they're not always wrong.

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2020 8:42 AM

R9 Both sides are selected by opposing elites. Voters decide between two already compromised candidates.

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2020 9:42 AM

R8 has it. You have to be vetted by the elites for decades before you can get to power.

I believe part of the reason we've had such a huge backlash to Obama is because he didn't have that kind of background. He wasn't unencumbered by problematic political connections (no politician is, ever, EVER) but he hadn't been around sucking up to the bigwigs for a long time like most candidates have been, and that caused some consternation, especially among the conservative elites and billionaires. They would have rather had a known quantity as a Democratic president than someone they hadn't been keeping tabs for decades.

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2020 9:54 AM

LOL. There are no opposing elites. One elite controls both sides to give the illusion that the public has a choice between good vs. bad or the lesser of two evils. Governments are really just window dressing either causing comfort or distress. It's the people who give them power to control them. The elites would have no power if the masses unite in an act of civil disobedience and not let any of the elite's button pushing have an effect. Unfortunately most of us are sheep who follow countless elite representatives blindly and do their bidding.

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2020 10:01 AM

When Nelson Rockefeller first ran for office, one of his aunts (?) said that's not what we do, we get people to do that for us. Anyone heard this, or along these lines?

Also women of this elite group hold a lot of power.

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2020 11:21 PM

R5 who is R7 can’t comprehend that the noun, “powerful few” is modified by the ADJECTIVE “elite”...what a douchebag!

by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2020 11:27 PM

Koch brothers have been puppeting the Republican nightmare. Soros the Democratic one.

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2020 11:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!