Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm suddenly obsessed with a Judds song from 1985

It's called Grandpa (Tell Me 'Bout the Good Old Days) and while it certainly did not foreshadow the coming of Barack Obama (or anything even remotely progressive for that matter), it is such a lovely song, with an absolutely perfect hook:

[quote]Was a promise really something people kept, and not just something they would say and then forget?

Does anyone remember this song?

by Anonymousreply 34May 26, 2020 3:45 AM

No link?

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2020 4:16 AM

My bad, R1.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2020 4:18 AM

[quote] while it certainly did not foreshadow the coming of Barack Obama

Huh? Talk about a non-sequitur.

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2020 4:20 AM

What I meant by that is that is an extremely conservative song.

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2020 4:22 AM

Mama, he's CRAZY!!!

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2020 4:23 AM

OP you need to get all 3 or 4 of the Judd albums from the 80s. Then get some lemonade and find a porch swing or a rocking chair. Then take it all in. That is an excellent classic song. If someone ever came up to me and said they liked the Judd's I would drop my pants and marry them not necessarily in that order. Did lovers really fall in love to stay?

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2020 4:28 AM

I do remember the song and I loved it when it came out. It was one of the music videos I'd recorded from TV and was in heavy rotation with the likes of Pat Benatar and Culture Club during my after school hours.

It's a beautiful song about missing the good ol' times when things were simpler. We all know things were rarely better before, and daddies did really go away forever back then as well. The song is about loving the fantasy we all know isn't truly real, but that's country music for you.

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2020 4:39 AM

The good old days for Wynonna were when she could fit in a Winnebago.

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2020 4:49 AM

I luv u all

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2020 4:57 AM

The message behind the song is that they are remembering the days when Ashley wasn't cray-cray.

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2020 5:13 AM

This is an old-fashioned country song with twang sounds. For that reason, I like it. If I had to think too hard about the lyrics, I probably wouldn't like it.

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2020 5:25 AM

White Southerners singing about "the good old days" is cringe-worthy.

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2020 5:30 AM

I like the old fashioned country sound up through the early 80s, like this song and Randy Travis's work. Today country is loud drums and 10 guitars.

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2020 5:34 AM

If you love the Judds then I think you'll also like K.T. Oslin.

by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2020 5:42 AM

I never bought Naomi's reason for retiring (hepatitis from a "needle stick from when she was a nurse").

Bitch was shooting smack and getting big cocks up the ass for years before she decided to become respectable.

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2020 7:19 AM

R15, if you're interested, watch (on YouTube) Oprah's 4-part (or so) reality show about The Judds. Naomi is insufferable. I hate to throw the word around, but she's a narcissist. IIRC, when they lived in Los Angeles, Naomi used their apartment like a real party pad with all kinds of sketchy people coming in and out. Now, Naomi tried to rewrite history.

Wynonna is the talented one, but Naomi thinks she is the star.

Wynonna is really damaged, was married to a child molestor.

Ashley seems normal compared to the other 2.

by Anonymousreply 16May 25, 2020 7:31 AM

God, I can't stand Naomi r16. I remember when she "retired" and the Judds did that (televised) final concert, Naomi was constantly trying to cry and no tears would come out. It was so ridiculous. After every song, Naomi needed to remind us she was "retiring". I couldn't wait for Wynonna to go solo so she could finally get the respect for her own talent without her mother riding on her coattails.

That being said, the Judds had some great songs. Grandpa (Tell Me 'Bout the Good Old Days) is one of their best.

Wynonna really has a lovely, expressive voice.

by Anonymousreply 17May 25, 2020 7:57 AM

Song by hypocrites about nostalgia for a time that never existed.

by Anonymousreply 18May 25, 2020 7:59 AM

I remember when the Judds got big circa '85, and a lot of people couldn't tell whether Naomi or Wynonna was the mother, because Wynonna was so big and matronly.

by Anonymousreply 19May 25, 2020 8:58 AM

When they got big, the Southern guys I knew called them "The Juggs".

by Anonymousreply 20May 25, 2020 1:49 PM

My pussy stinks!

by Anonymousreply 21May 25, 2020 1:56 PM

[quote] I couldn't wait for Wynonna to go solo so she could finally get the respect for her own talent without her mother riding on her coattails.

I think you got that backwards regarding the coattails. As a duo, all media attention was on Naomi.

by Anonymousreply 22May 25, 2020 3:35 PM

The Judds single-handedly brought country music into the modern age. The fact that a mother would publicly accept and promote her lesbian daughter really shook up the Opry.

by Anonymousreply 23May 25, 2020 3:45 PM

"Grampa" ...... Such a DL appropriate song.

by Anonymousreply 24May 25, 2020 3:49 PM

I'm picturing OP twirling around the living room with his French 🐩Poodle, whispering the words in little Yvette's ear.

by Anonymousreply 25May 25, 2020 3:55 PM

[quote]Naomi is insufferable. I hate to throw the word around, but she's a narcissist. IIRC, when they lived in Los Angeles, Naomi used their apartment like a real party pad with all kinds of sketchy people coming in and out. Now, Naomi tried to rewrite history.

I can vouch for this. I was living in Nashville in the 1980s and I watched their rise to fame. I saw more than one interview where Naomi referred to LA as "bimbo-ville" and acted like LA was Sodom & Gommorah. She was smart enough to know that she was playing to a more Conservative crowd and adjusted her act. Also, her onstage personna was that she was so happy to find success as a mother-daughter singing group (references were made to them being like June Carter and Mother Maybelle) but offstage it was well known that Naomi was looking for a sugar daddy so that she could quit and be taken care of in luxury.

In Nashville, I knew some gay stylists and pr people and I wish one of them would write a tell-all book about the Country Music scene. Country Music was never in the spotlight so the gossip and scandals flew under the radar. Things also radically changed when the Opry was moved. When it was downtown in the Ryman, all those stars would hit the bars around the Opry. When it was moved out to Opryland, there were no bars within walking distance so sin was much harder to find.

by Anonymousreply 26May 25, 2020 3:55 PM

"Did families really bow their heads to pray?" - no, it's an obnoxious song.

How about "Were women really told they couldn't work?" "Were black people really treated like second-class citizens?"

The Judds had a great sound when they started but they ruined it with their reactionary nostalgia.

by Anonymousreply 27May 25, 2020 4:21 PM

[quote] The Judds had a great sound when they started but they ruined it with their reactionary nostalgia.

The entire Country Music genre is based on nostalgia.

by Anonymousreply 28May 25, 2020 4:28 PM

As much as I love Wynonna’s voice, I hope OP realizes that every deplorable who hears this song is thinking the good old days were way before Obama was President.

by Anonymousreply 29May 25, 2020 4:30 PM

I love crying Judds. All in one place. Wynonna has one of the all time great blues/pop/country voices. She deserved bigger success.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 25, 2020 10:02 PM

Mama he’s lazy.... Lazier than me!

by Anonymousreply 31May 25, 2020 10:46 PM

Oh god please don’t hurt my pussy!

by Anonymousreply 32May 26, 2020 1:30 AM

During their televised farewell concert, it was quite obvious that there was animosity between the two. On Naomi's part in particular.

by Anonymousreply 33May 26, 2020 3:44 AM

[quote]As much as I love Wynonna’s voice, I hope OP realizes that every deplorable who hears this song is thinking the good old days were way before Obama was President.

That was pretty much my point.

by Anonymousreply 34May 26, 2020 3:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!