Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

People who live in a furniture showroom

I have a friend like this. She has two children but there are no personal details in the living room at all. No photos, no personal touches, nothing out of place. They just bought the entire showroom right down to the ugly modern sculpture on the coffee table. Is that creepy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 25, 2020 6:21 AM

I wouldn't say "creepy" but pretty bland.

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2020 3:11 AM

If it's THAT living room then yes. Does she have kid pictures anywhere? Having no pictures in a nice living room is better than having a wall full of 8x10s of ugly kids.

by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2020 3:12 AM

Frau with 2 cute kids here. I couldn't live in that room even if I had none. R2 is spot on. I have friends with huge school pictures having on the wall from every grade. Tacky as hell. I have a 5x7 of each kid and that's it for the living room.

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2020 3:16 AM

Personal photos (etc.) are not a must, but finding a way to display one's objects somewhere in the home can warm things up.

Buying everything from one place might work if their showroom has a variety of things available. I'd still try to mix it up with some "outside" pieces -- perhaps a roll-armed tufted velvet sofa swapped into this Room & Board setup, for example, with the same armchairs done in smooth leather.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2020 3:35 AM

She's not your friend and one day you'll find she's disappeared to yet another identity

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2020 4:11 AM

showroom? That room is ugly. People who think they have good taste. The kids know better.

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2020 4:12 AM

I have a few tasteful black and white nudes from my youth hanging in the living room.

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2020 4:16 AM

Ugly modern sculpture? Darling, that's a vase.

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2020 4:35 AM

This is closer to the actual sculpture. The room is done in red and white with red drapes and a red and black carpet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2020 4:43 AM

Are those giant insects crawling around the frame of the mirror? Very homey, if your last name is Orkin.

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2020 4:45 AM

IMHO people who do this either have low decorating self-esteem and think people will laugh at their taste, or are both very "other-directed" and middlebrow. That is, they would rather impress other people than please themselves, and they're clueless enough to think that the showroom style will actually impress anyone.

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2020 5:59 AM

R9 Not particularly modern but a decent example of decorative sculpture that subliminally recalls the fertility rites of pagan bull sacrifices and moon goddess adoration. Your friend is likely a witch OP I would be cautious

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2020 6:04 AM

Living room looks like it’s straight out of a Lifetime movie . Why would someone want a living room when it looks like everyone in the house must be dead.

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2020 6:05 AM

I actually find OP's picture peaceful and pleasant. I seen worse. At least it's clean-looking & tidy.

by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2020 6:07 AM

[quote] The room is done in red and white with red drapes and a red and black carpet.

The colors most pleasing to Satan, you mean.

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2020 6:11 AM

I like r9’s sculptures. If I was a white witch who ran an esoteric bookstore they would take pride of place.

by Anonymousreply 16May 25, 2020 6:11 AM

Poor OP. Did she give you a charm with a funny smelling herb in it while you appraised her decorating skills?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 25, 2020 6:12 AM

I have wealthy relatives who lives in such a showplace. It's a large open concept modern home furnished in a minimalist style with expensive but simple furniture. But real people live there and because they have the largest house in the extended family they end up hosting a couple of large family parties each year.

They haul out extra folding tables and can seat about 40 people at sit down dinners and her huge island and large kitchen fit buffet style spreads plus appetizers and desserts.

By the end of the evening the place is trashed, especially at Christmas. But because they are relaxed, warm, and welcoming what looks like an austere showroom becomes a place of incredible warmth. And because they are organized and tidy the place gets whipped back into shape pretty quickly.

My place is too small for such gatherings and I'm a nervous host. I'm just happy that I can go there and enjoy their beautiful home.

by Anonymousreply 18May 25, 2020 6:16 AM

showrooms are deliberately inoffensive so you can host and entertain people who you believe are judgmental and easily offended by personal taste. It's a passive aggressive way of calling your guests insecure, drama queen snobs.

by Anonymousreply 19May 25, 2020 6:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!