Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Any fans of Michael Clayton (2007)?

I just rewatched it. Damn, what an outstanding film. Clooney has never been more effectively used on screen. I loved Tilda Swinton in her Oscar-winning role, and Merritt Wever was terrific.

In hindsight I would have been happy if either it or There Will Be Blood had won Best Picture. Despite my affection for Cormac McCarthy’s novels, I’ve never felt a need to rewatch No Country for Old Men.

by Anonymousreply 17May 25, 2020 7:14 PM

I think the Clooney and Swinton scene at the end is spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2020 1:09 AM

Amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2020 1:11 AM

One of my favorite movies.

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2020 1:13 AM

There Will Be Blood should have won that year but Clayton was a superb movie.

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2020 1:13 AM

I loved that film and want to watch it again.

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2020 1:15 AM

That's a great movie. What I loved most was the writing. That dialogue was absolutely brilliant. The Gilroys rock.

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2020 1:24 AM

I'm a fan. This is the movie that got me to pay attention to Denis O'Hare. He was so intense as the hit-and-run business mogul.

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2020 1:35 AM

I don’t remember Merritt Wever, one of my favorite performers.

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2020 1:41 AM

R2's scene was filmed on the third floor of the New York Hilton and Towers. For twenty years, I participated in an academic conference there.

Anyway, I love this movie. It stands up well with the passage of time.

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2020 1:46 AM

Never miss it when it’s on (or Up in the Air and the Descendants for that matter). All three are truly great films, and all three are testaments to Clooney’s acting skills. I never get tired of watching them - or O Brother...

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2020 2:09 AM

Ides of March is better than Michael Clayton but they are my two favorite Clooney movies. Tilda Swinton owns Michael Clayton!

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2020 5:26 AM

Is it crazy that I think Sydney Pollack might have been a better actor than director?

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2020 2:01 PM

Not completely, r12. As an actor, Pollack was great in Tootsie, Husbands and Wives and Tootsie. As a director, he had several hits, but Tootsie is the only one I really love. I'll admit, I considered him a DILF, even though he wasn't handsome.

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2020 5:25 PM

R13 I also loved him in Tootsie, Tootsie and Tootsie.

by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2020 5:30 PM

My favorite scene is when Karen is preparing her speech to the board while packing, laying out her clothes. It's like a one act play.

Great Oscar speech, "Oh, no". She gave the Oscar to her agent!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2020 5:53 PM

Excellent film. As much as I like Tom Wilkinson, I was surprised that Clooney didn't cast his Good Night And Good Luck star David Strathairn in that role. I think DS would have been even better than Wilkinson.

by Anonymousreply 16May 25, 2020 7:13 PM

Brilliant! Everything works!

by Anonymousreply 17May 25, 2020 7:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!