Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What would you do about an unwanted pregnancy?

If you were a woman?

by Anonymousreply 25May 25, 2020 9:38 PM

GET THE KNITTING NEEDLE!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2020 11:47 PM

obligatory Patsy Ramsey joke placeholder

by Anonymousreply 2May 24, 2020 11:55 PM

I was in that situation once. It was a very tough decision. The father had dumped me shortly before I learned about the pregnancy. I didn't really want an abortion, and I was actually thrilled to realize that I was pregnant. I'd been told by doctors that I would probably have difficulty conceiving, and I was truly surprised when it happened. I remember feeling strangely protective toward the fetus even though I never wanted children and knew I couldn't keep it. I also knew that if I carried the child to term, I would never be able to give it up for adoption. But I was in no position to raise a child, either. I was between a rock and a hard place. I had the abortion, but wept so much during the procedure that the doctor gave me extra shots of Valium and even asked if I were Catholic (I'm not). Nearly 40 years later, feel I did the right thing, but it was so hard.

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2020 12:04 AM

Abortion's illegal here so I'd have to Vera Drake that situation

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2020 12:08 AM

“If I were a woman” ???????? I AM a woman don’t you DARE mis gender me

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2020 12:14 AM

Carry to full-term, have psychotic breakdown when the children are ostensibly stillborn but actually kidnapped.

Then wring a season of drama out of it.

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2020 12:17 AM

Internet hugs, R3. Your story sounds like those of other women I know who have had to make a similar difficult choice.

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2020 12:18 AM

If it was me there would be no unwanted pregnancy. If I got pregnant, even if I wasn't planning on having a baby, I would carry it to full term and raise the baby.

I have problem with abortion as long as the fetus has not developed to the point it could feel pain. If it gets to that point aborting it is nothing more than torturing another human being to death.

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2020 12:26 AM

^^I have NO problem with abortion

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2020 12:27 AM

Buy a plunger.

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2020 12:51 AM

Be responsible and not get pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2020 1:48 AM

Thank you for the kind words, R7.

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2020 1:54 AM

If I knew then what I know now ....

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2020 2:06 AM

I’ve had close family members that have paid through the nose for IVF and it not be successful, so if I got myself up the duff I’d definitely put the sprog up for adoption though.

Heaven help that child though if it inherited my looks. x

by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2020 2:10 AM

Pop a little RU86 and it’s gone. Poof! Just like that.

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2020 2:17 AM

Pregnancy and childbirth are so horrific when you really think about it. I wouldn’t even think twice about getting an abortion

by Anonymousreply 16May 25, 2020 2:19 AM

R8 most abortions are performed on what looks like a tadpole. It's not a "baby" as we think of one. Late term abortions are very rare.

by Anonymousreply 17May 25, 2020 2:31 AM

R11, you do know that pregnancy can occur even when the woman uses appropriate birth control? Pregnancy can also occur when the woman doesn't consent to sex.

You expect the men involved to be responsible as well?

If you are not in the position of ever getting pregnant, your opinion doesn't really matter.

by Anonymousreply 18May 25, 2020 2:38 AM

Most OB/GYNs do not perform elective abortions. A vast majority of elective abortions are performed at Planned Parenthood and other abortion clinics. There is no going to "private doctors" for abortion - as discussed, regular OB/GYNS don't do abortions, except for therapeutic abortions in which the mother's life is in danger.

The abortion clinics must be within a certain distance to a hospital in case of bad outcomes (very rare).

by Anonymousreply 19May 25, 2020 3:28 AM

r13 I hear ya, sister!

by Anonymousreply 20May 25, 2020 4:02 AM

To R19's point, Back in the day ( some 25 years ago in a Blue state) I worked for a very Renowned, OB/ Gyn who worked for an elite clientelle. As his ( young) secretary it was my job to sort the patient files after appointments and send them back to Medical Records.

I noticed that on one particular patient who was coming in frequently, her Beta- HCG levels were LOWERING with each visit- something HORRIBLY wrong as this number should only INCREASE as the pregnancy grew- at least with the knowledge I had. I innocently inquired of one of the nurses why this should be so. She practically slammed me against the wall.

She explained, that the doctor was doing " a favor" for the " mentally impaired" daughter of one of his more wealthy patients. The young woman had unfortunately been the victim of some sort of an assault in her place of care. Rather than create a scandal, she brought her daughter to our practice. The OB in-turn was administering doses of methotrexate- a medication normally given for arthritis, but more importantly in this situation, a powerful abortifacient. That nurse, made me swear a vow of secrecy, which with a few chosen swear words I easily assented to. For this reason alone, I know if Roe v. Wade is ever overturned, individuals of a certain " class" will always find a way to take care of their * indiscretions*.

by Anonymousreply 21May 25, 2020 5:01 AM

R21 that's the way it's always been as highlighted in Vera Drake. Outlawing abortion only hurts poor women. The wealthy have always had access to safe abortions.

by Anonymousreply 22May 25, 2020 8:20 PM

I used to work as a medical assistant for an OB-GYN practice in the Upper East Side of New York City. One of the doctors there was extremely busy, much more so than his three partners. The waiting room was always packed on the days he saw patients. I remember noticing one teenage girl, still in braces, who was brought in by her mother and seemed terribly upset. I wondered what was so terrible about getting a GYN exam.

I also wondered why I was never allowed to assist this particular doctor in the examining room. One day I when I was filing patients' records, my curiosity got the better of me, and and looked at one of the files. Inside it was a letter from a psychiatrist claiming that a patient's unwanted pregnancy was causing her to become inhinged mentally. The description of her bizarre, florid behavior didn't jibe with the perfectly calm and rational patient I knew. It took me a while to put the puzzle together. This doctor was getting psychiatrists to write fake letters so that his patients could get legal, safe abortions in a hospital. That's why his practice was so busy and why the teenage girl was so upset.

I left the job shortly afterward, but that wasn't the end of the story. This doctor became nationally known as a pro-life activist who said he regretted what he'd done. His name was Dr. Bernard Nathanson, and he made the anti-abortion film "The Silent Scream."

by Anonymousreply 23May 25, 2020 9:34 PM

CHUCK IT DOWN THE PAN!

by Anonymousreply 24May 25, 2020 9:37 PM

Can someone please SHIT IN MY MOUTH???!?!???!???!!???

by Anonymousreply 25May 25, 2020 9:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!