Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Question for San Franciscans

In the 1970s and 80s, Lenny Russell owned the Sheridan Square Gym in the West Village, then he moved to San Francisco. Walked with a limp. Anyone remember Lenny?

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2020 12:04 AM

Well, it was four a.m. in the Castro and I was sitting at Little Orphan Andy's and who should walk in but famous drag queen Opaline in her everyday mufti which made her look like Martha Mitchell after a shopping trip at Lilly Pulitzer's. So I said to my companion who was either my boyfriend Reynaldo from the Dominican Republic or my boyfriend Eduardo from El Salvador, "It's fucking January. She must be freezing in the wrap dress!" and then I realized it was really Martha Mitchell after all!

Well, I can tell you I dined out on that anecdote until Grace Jones released Nightclubbing. Although to be fair, the dining out was always at Orphan Andy's which really is just the worst kind of diner food.

Wait, what were we talking about?

by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2020 11:43 PM

R1: Beats the hell out of me.

by Anonymousreply 2May 24, 2020 11:47 PM

Never heard of him. Can’t remember anyone limping around. Mincing, yes, limping, no

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2020 12:01 AM

OMW, Little Orphan Andy's! That brings back memories. Absolutely correct that it is THE WORST diner food ever.

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2020 12:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!