Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did you own a Sony Walkman?

I bought one in 1979 and remember paying over a hundred dollars for it. Very high tech back then.

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2020 12:47 AM

I own an Aiwa Walkman, never used. Saved it for when my Sony died. S is dead, kept A.

by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2020 11:20 PM

I had the "runners" version which came in a heavier bright yellow plastic case.

IIRC that thing burned through batteries.

by Anonymousreply 2May 24, 2020 11:23 PM

Yes, I loved it I listened to “Stop Making Sense” for hours on a long bus ride from NYC to Maine. I thought I was the coolest thing around.

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2020 12:05 AM

In 1983, I listened to the entire original cast album of Funny Girl over and over as I walked 30 blocks in NY... went inside and found out the volume was so LOUD I was blasting my ears out! Nice album though.

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2020 12:10 AM

I still have it.

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2020 12:12 AM

I inherited my father's 1979 one in 1980. I never went anywhere without one for about ten years. They'd wear out very quickly. Fall apart.

I don't think I'd walk around town listening to music now.

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2020 12:20 AM

This was my first Walkman. I also had such a cheap one, also made by Sony, that was such a POS, the music sounded like I was playing a warped record if I dared to walk while listening to it. Then I had a yellow sports model, which lasted forever. Or until I got a Discman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2020 12:23 AM

no . i am a generation z-er.

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2020 12:23 AM

Yes.

I loved it.

Remember listening to 'Moonage Daydream' by David Bowie.

And crying.

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2020 12:27 AM

None of these machines can block out ambient sounds of traffic and railways.

They're only suitable for playing loud, rhythmic pop music; it's impossible to listen to serious, classical music while moving about the city.

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2020 12:31 AM

I loved mine. By the time it finally wore out, The Discman has been invented, and I loved that, too.

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2020 12:34 AM

[quote]Then I had a yellow sports model, which lasted forever.

I always meant to get one of those but for some reason never did.

The last one I bought had an excellent record function and I still have it somewhere. I also have a CD version. Don't think I ever dug it that much.

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2020 12:35 AM

I still have my very early iPod. It's like a candlestick phone in comparison to the modern ones...but it knocks the walkman out of the ballpark. They were/are amazing.

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2020 12:38 AM

In addition, r10, I prefer to listen to music I don't necessarily love while I am out and about. I create mental associations with music, and I only seldom prefer the ones that get created outdoors to the ones I already have with the music. I ruined some Beach Boys and Springsteen memories.

I would never play classical while on the go. Music is a defense mechanism when I'm in transit.

by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2020 12:44 AM

Finishing r14, Steely Dan, disco, the Cars, the Police, Stevie Wonder, and jazz are perfect for music on the go.

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2020 12:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!