Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gary Busey as Buddy Holly.

How did he not win an Oscar? Just finished the Buddy Holly Story and his performance, especially the last ten minutes, when he sings pieces of every hit while in concert. Busey sings live and absolutely nails Holly. I thought Busey was just a goof and maybe he is but this performance is golden.

by Anonymousreply 17June 2, 2020 4:18 PM

Thank you for sharing, OP! The world is captivated by your thoughts on Gary Busey!

by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2020 7:52 PM

You know he was nominated, right? Jon Voigt won, though...for "Coming Home."

by Anonymousreply 2May 24, 2020 7:58 PM

R2 Voight should have won for Midnight Cowboy or Deliverance. Coming Home was not his be performance.

R1 Just move on. I didn't mean to disturb you with my spontaneous praise of a performance. I didn't ask for anything; I was simply sharing.

by Anonymousreply 3May 24, 2020 8:04 PM

^^be = best. Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 4May 24, 2020 8:05 PM

I was shocked he didn't win, OP. He was also the only thing good about A Star Is Born, in my humble opinion.

by Anonymousreply 5May 24, 2020 8:08 PM

He went to the other side.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 29, 2020 1:01 AM

I saw that movie recently too. I thought he was tremendous!

by Anonymousreply 7May 29, 2020 1:03 AM

He started going batshit crazy after BHS. He probably came in last in the voting (or Larry Olivier for the dumb Boys From Brazil). No way he was going to win over Voight, DeNiro or Beatty that year.

by Anonymousreply 8May 29, 2020 1:14 AM

R8 I thought the motorcycle accident caused his brain damage. He was batshit crazy prior to that? I know he was druggy crazy but no more than anyone else. The bad stuff came about because of his brain being caved in the motorcycle accident.

by Anonymousreply 9May 29, 2020 1:22 AM

I just saw the movie too, I guess we all saw the one on channel 13 last Saturday. He really was amazing, and the story was so interesting.

by Anonymousreply 10May 29, 2020 1:31 AM

Busey also did a good job in Barbarosa, a 1982 film starring Willie Nelson, directed by Fred Schepisi.

Give it a try.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 29, 2020 1:40 AM

Busey made interesting choices. Try Carny - 1980 - with Jodie Foster, Robbie Robertson. Good stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 29, 2020 1:46 AM

He wasn't very well known before that film, but Jon Voight was.

It's rare for people to more-or-less come out of nowhere to win Best Actor or Best Actress. It DOES happen (as with Marlee Matlin, or with Audrey Hepburn), but it is rare.

by Anonymousreply 13May 29, 2020 1:56 AM

R13 Oscar history is littered with newbies or near newbies coming out of nowhere to win. It is not rare.

by Anonymousreply 14May 29, 2020 10:12 PM

R14 Hillary Swank comes to mind. Came out of nowhere. Wow. And now she owns TWO Oscars. Unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 15June 2, 2020 3:16 PM

He was a great Buddy Holly, but the movie was full of baloney.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 2, 2020 3:30 PM

R16 Great article - thank you!

by Anonymousreply 17June 2, 2020 4:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!