Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays, tell me about Carol Channing and corn?

I’ve been here for years and I don’t get this reference.

by Anonymousreply 27December 20, 2020 6:22 AM

Who is Carol Channing? Channing Tatum's mother? His grandmother?

by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2020 3:22 PM

Allegedly, someone is a women's cubicle heard the unmistakable voice of Carol Channing from the next cubicle, saying 'Corn!? When did I last eat corn!?'

by Anonymousreply 2May 24, 2020 3:44 PM

No. That's not it at all. Try again, r2. (Hint: It has something to do with an open mic.)

by Anonymousreply 3May 24, 2020 4:50 PM

R3 what is it?

by Anonymousreply 4May 24, 2020 5:10 PM

Carol Channing had allergies to many foods. So much so that she brought her own meals to work, to outside events and even to the finest restaurants. Apparently they were that severe, at least for a good portion of her life.

So one day she was taking a dump during intermission in Hello Dolly, and forgot she was still mic'd. She squeezed out a few diamonds, then was heard to proclaim throughout the theater: "CORN, when did I have CORN?"

by Anonymousreply 5December 12, 2020 4:39 AM

[quote] Who is Carol Channing? Channing Tatum's mother? His grandmother?

She was the butler in [italic]Pink Flamingos[/italic], Rose.

by Anonymousreply 6December 12, 2020 4:41 AM

I hope Carol is considered a DL favorite. She has the best voice. She would make the best audio book voice.

by Anonymousreply 7December 12, 2020 4:52 AM

[quote]She has the best voice. She would make the best audio book voice.

R7 is posting from 2018.

by Anonymousreply 8December 12, 2020 4:57 AM

Here you go, OP. Michael Musto wrote about the story in the Village Voice in 2009.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 12, 2020 4:58 AM

R9, R5 already explained it.

There's this thing on your phone or computer where you can scroll up and look at previous answers.

by Anonymousreply 10December 12, 2020 5:10 AM

Carol looked at the shit in her diaper and saw corn kernels.

by Anonymousreply 11December 12, 2020 7:08 AM

I interviewed Channing when she performed in "Hello Dolly!" years ago in Spokane, Washington. She was larger than life, with a laugh that filled a room. She suffered from some sort of eye issue, so she always wore sunglasses, even indoors. One thing I found impressive: she traveled with a baby grand piano that she insisted be set up in her hotel suite. And she brought along suitcases full of framed family photos that were artfully arranged atop the piano. Apparently, she was trying to replicate her Manhattan living room.

by Anonymousreply 12December 12, 2020 9:05 AM

She obviously ate plenty of corn in that movie where she was talking about raspberries.

by Anonymousreply 13December 12, 2020 11:01 AM

At least when they shot Carol Channing out of a cannon, she didn't fly into a tree.

by Anonymousreply 14December 12, 2020 11:18 AM

Traveled with a baby grand piano? That's actually really sad. Talk about desperate for attention...

by Anonymousreply 15December 14, 2020 8:20 PM

Michael Musto said the story is totally fictitious. “ And they’re totally apocryphal.“

by Anonymousreply 16December 14, 2020 8:52 PM

Carol Channing came to Cape Cod every summer and did Dolly at The Melody Tent.

My grandmother took me.

Gramma knew.

by Anonymousreply 17December 14, 2020 8:53 PM

Why did she move from New York to California?

by Anonymousreply 18December 15, 2020 12:53 AM

From R9's link.

[quote]*Tallulah Bankhead supposedly was sitting in a stall when she noticed she’d ran out of toilet paper, so she craned her head down and murmured to the person in the next booth, “Do you happen to have change of a $20?”

The correct punchline, told to me by Ted Hook, Bankhead's personal secretary, was "Do you have two fives for a ten?"

Musto's ending is too ambiguous.

by Anonymousreply 19December 15, 2020 12:59 AM

"When did I eat corn?" was her catchphrase as the spokes lady for Green Giant's Hello Jolly promotional tie-in.

by Anonymousreply 20December 15, 2020 1:04 AM

R5 has it correct - it's "Corn? When did I have corn?" not "eat corn?" or "I don't remember eating corn." And it is followed by a loud FLUSH. And the story has been told by castmates on that Dolly tour with her (the next to last tour seems to be the tour where it originated, not her final 70-something Dolly from the 1990s.)

Carol was on what we'd call today a macrobiotic diet, totally under the control of (gay) husband Charles Lowe. All her food had to be catered in. James Kirkwood details this in the Legends book. She'd use a handkerchief to touch a door, to keep from touching a germy surface so she wouldn't get sick. Interestingly, after Lowe died--they were divorcing when he died--her "food allergies" went away and she could eat what she wanted.

When someone had the gall to ask Carol about the truth of the corn story to her face, of course she already had heard it. Her reply, so classy: "it's true if you need it to be."

by Anonymousreply 21December 15, 2020 3:22 AM

According to ancient DL posts, it was Ethel Merman who was in the stall next to her.

by Anonymousreply 22December 15, 2020 3:24 AM

Impossible R22, Ethel used the men's room.

by Anonymousreply 23December 15, 2020 3:27 AM

Corn kernels in your diaper. Wow Carol.

by Anonymousreply 24December 15, 2020 4:58 AM

R17, that's SO sad. Pathetic really. Poor clown couldn't get any other rolls...

by Anonymousreply 25December 20, 2020 6:13 AM

Love that R21. Thanks for the confirmation...and additional details.

by Anonymousreply 26December 20, 2020 6:17 AM

She was a sista from anotha mista!

by Anonymousreply 27December 20, 2020 6:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!