Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How many times can the virus transfer?

Does anyone have any links to how many times the virus can transfer? For example, someone sneezes on a box, I touch the box so it is on my hands. I grab an envelope and then someone else touches that envelope. I know this is silly and it's less about panic than curiosity. Is it theoretically possible?

by Anonymousreply 35May 24, 2020 6:49 PM

There would be a time element, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2020 12:30 PM

If someone with the virus sneezes on a box it's actually very doubtful that you would be infected just by touching the box, even more doubtful that you would then pass it onto an envelope and probably impossible that someone would be infected by touching that envelope.

by Anonymousreply 2May 24, 2020 12:35 PM

Watch the movie Contagion

by Anonymousreply 3May 24, 2020 12:36 PM

You’re not very bright, are you?

by Anonymousreply 4May 24, 2020 1:29 PM

If it is live, infinitely because it is constantly replicating.

It can transfer as long as the virus is alive.

This is why I take a mini-silkwood every time I return home.

I want to wash off any live virus that may have settled on me as I waded through the soup of filth called going shopping.

by Anonymousreply 5May 24, 2020 1:31 PM

"I want to wash off any live virus that may have settled on me as I waded through the soup of filth called going shopping." And then come to the soup of filth known as DL. Stay healthy, OP ;`].

by Anonymousreply 6May 24, 2020 1:33 PM

Viruses by definition need a host to replicate.

So it can’t replicate sitting “naked” on a cardboard box.

by Anonymousreply 7May 24, 2020 1:50 PM

r7, so a live virus that is sitting on a plastic surface sits around until it dies or is transferred to a living host where it can begin replication again. Got it then, got it now.

by Anonymousreply 8May 24, 2020 2:01 PM

[quote] So it can’t replicate sitting “naked” on a cardboard box.

Mmmmmmmm.

Do you a microscope to see that? Asking for a friend.

by Anonymousreply 9May 24, 2020 2:07 PM

Me, I have sequester tables where I bring purchases into the home but do not touch them. Everything that had to be refrigerated of frozen gets a sudsing up in the package. Yes, I run ice cream under the faucet. Fruit gets a rinse and transferred to a home container. If I cant leave a bag of chips on the sequester table for 4 days, it too gets a sudsing up. When I shop I wear gloves. The last time I went shopping I watched a woman touch practically every fucking thing in the aisle. Bare handed. Took off shelf, put in basket, put more shit in her basket and then put back most of it. She wasn't wearing a mask.

KARENS MUST DIE!

by Anonymousreply 10May 24, 2020 2:28 PM

Where I live, you get one transfer, then you have to buy another ticket.

by Anonymousreply 11May 24, 2020 2:30 PM

It can transfer exactly four times. We worked out a gentleman's agreement with the virus when thing whole thing started. It will lay off after four v

by Anonymousreply 12May 24, 2020 2:33 PM

R2 gave correct answer.

by Anonymousreply 13May 24, 2020 2:35 PM

wash your hands, stop touching your face.

unless you have cuts on your hands, it's almost impossible to become infected just by touching something, and this virus mostly passes between people in the air

by Anonymousreply 14May 24, 2020 2:49 PM

[quote] Fruit gets a rinse and transferred to a home container.

Just like at the bathhouse.

by Anonymousreply 15May 24, 2020 3:09 PM

There was a video going around last week produced by Japanese network NHK about virus transfer in a restaurant. Do a search for it. Ran on CNN.

by Anonymousreply 16May 24, 2020 3:16 PM

The problem is that video was unscientific.

Paint will not necessarily transfer in the way a virus would.

by Anonymousreply 17May 24, 2020 3:18 PM

Six, in lower Manhattan, Rose:

Union Square, West 4th, Bleecker and Broadway, Delancey, City Hall and Fulton

by Anonymousreply 18May 24, 2020 3:21 PM

Exactly, r17. Most of these computer-generated models of how the virus particles may potentially be transmitted are fairly ridiculous and the equivalent of click-bait. If it is was so easy for the virus to be transferred - and with a lethal load - we'd probably all be dead by now. As it transpires, the infection rate is very low, almost invariably in single digits - high enough to be dangerous so we still need to be careful, but not anywhere near as high as would be the case if you could be infected by touching surfaces.

by Anonymousreply 19May 24, 2020 3:24 PM

r19 not true. The infection rate is low because we took steps to social distance, stay at home etc. The US was late to the game with weak leadership on the federal level (aka the orange oompa loompa) and mixed responses in states. South Korean took a much harder line and was able to flatten the curve significantly faster and have MUCH fewer deaths. We have not contained it and we are opening back up. Expect that this summer there will be massive amounts of infection and death in the south and then spread across the US as travel opens up for the summer.

by Anonymousreply 20May 24, 2020 3:40 PM

Listen to R2, not the undiagnosed OCD sufferers who massively need to get a grip.

by Anonymousreply 21May 24, 2020 3:46 PM

[quote] Expect that this summer there will be massive amounts of infection and death in the south

We've heard that for the past 3 months, yet the vast majority of infections and death are still NY and NJ.

by Anonymousreply 22May 24, 2020 3:46 PM

r22 - because NY and NJ report their infections unlike Georgia and Florida who have been caught lying about it. Texas fully relaxed their orders two weeks ago. Guess who has had a massive spike in cases?

by Anonymousreply 23May 24, 2020 3:50 PM

Don’t tell me, r23, let me guess.

Um.

South Dakota?

by Anonymousreply 24May 24, 2020 3:52 PM

r24 I love em dumb and hung ...so are you hung too?

by Anonymousreply 25May 24, 2020 3:59 PM

R20, social distancing and the lockdowns have certainly reduced infections but, as you say, much of the US was late to the game - and even in those parts where there has been a late and half-hearted lockdown, the infection rates are still low and you will not get the virus from touching an envelope.

I actually don't know exactly what is going on in the US as I'm in Europe, but South Korea did not go on a full lockdown - mostly places where lots of people gather were closed, e.g. schools and universities, but workplaces were not closed.

I'm not an opponent of lockdowns - I actually support them and think Sweden's strategy is ridiculous - but if you're not going to have a full lockdown then you need to follow South Korea's approach of aggressively isolating every infection, tracing everyone that person was caught with and then testing them.

What South Korea and pretty much everywhere have shown is that you don't catch the virus just by touching a surface (or are extremely unlikley to) but through large groups of people being crowded together - e.g. at the gay clubs when one guy with the virus infected at least 50 others. But even there the authorities did not shut the clubs down, but did thorough tracking and testing of everyone who had been in the clubs.

by Anonymousreply 26May 24, 2020 5:08 PM

[quote] I love em dumb and hung ...so are you hung too?

Damn. There’s always one qualification I don’t meet. Always a bridesmaid, never a bride.

by Anonymousreply 27May 24, 2020 5:22 PM

It has transferred millions of times around the globe since last year in Wuhan, Einstein! 🙄

by Anonymousreply 28May 24, 2020 5:23 PM

Everyone should read Dr. Erin Bromage's article about various risks of viral transfer. The most important elements are concentration of dose and time. One big sneeze in your face, and you ARE getting the virus, sorry about that. However, a cough on the other side of the store by someone wearing a mask is very unlikely to infect you, even if you touch an item touched by that person. An employee of that same store will be exposed to small concentrations of virus all day long, potentially meaning that he/she might get the virus, unless scrupulously masking and washing hands all day long.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 24, 2020 5:34 PM

While that’s a good article, it doesn’t explain how it’s possible that in New York the new cases are not coming from the front line workers, but from people who are home.

by Anonymousreply 30May 24, 2020 5:56 PM

R30 Front line workers get little, weak exposures and are more likely to have built up an immune defense. People who been secuestered at home and venture out, or have close contact with someone who has been exposed to the virus have no immune response built up and will become sicker.

by Anonymousreply 31May 24, 2020 6:03 PM

Meant to say "frequent weak exposures"

by Anonymousreply 32May 24, 2020 6:04 PM

But not according to that article was my point.

Prolonged exposure to even weak viral loads is enough, per the article.

by Anonymousreply 33May 24, 2020 6:18 PM

If home is in a densely-populated apartment building then that shouldn't be too hard to work out, r30. Does home also include people who are still going out to work? There's another reason then.

by Anonymousreply 34May 24, 2020 6:44 PM

The type of residency hasn’t been revealed and that’s a question that was asked, but they didn’t ask it at the hospital.

However, they were most definitely not going out to work. That would’ve made them “essential employees” which was a question.

It’s baffling. However, we don’t know if they asked if [bold]someone else[/bold] in the household was an essential employee and going back and forth to work.

(I hope you don’t think I’m arguing with you, BTW, just trying to figure it out also how people who are sitting at home are getting it.)

by Anonymousreply 35May 24, 2020 6:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!