Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anybody get sick from eating avocado?

Recently, we have eaten avocado with breakfast and my boyfriend has started feeling sick afterwards with stomach cramps, nausea and having to go to the toilet eventually. We removed the avocado for a couple of breakfasts and he was fine. We re-introduced avocado and he immediately got sick, worse than the prior times. He used to eat avocado without any problems. So it seems like a recent thing.

Does anyone else suffer from avocado-eating allergies? Do you just have to avoid it? He loves avocado.

by Anonymousreply 30May 24, 2020 1:45 PM

My boyfriend is allergic to avocado too.

He can tolerate a tiny slice, but a dish of guacamole might be the end of him.

by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2020 3:55 AM

My brother used to be allergic, his tongue and mouth would swell but a few years back he seemed to be fine after eating it.

The allergy seemed to go away. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Maybe your guy developed one now.

by Anonymousreply 2May 24, 2020 3:58 AM

Allergies can come and go: I became allergic to shrimp, crab, and lobster when I turned 30. And fucking loved lobster.

If your man’s allergic to avocados, then he should accept that fact, and never eat them again.

It sucks, but better than dying of anaphylactic shock.

by Anonymousreply 3May 24, 2020 4:04 AM

Pray, OP, who are "we"?

by Anonymousreply 4May 24, 2020 4:19 AM

I know someone who became allergic to bananas at the age of 50. The anaphylactic shock kind of allergy that can be fatal, not just an upset stomach. The doctor said that this particular allergy isn't common but it is quite normal for people to "grow into and out of" allergies, for reasons unknown.

by Anonymousreply 5May 24, 2020 4:40 AM

Perhaps you've just got a bad batch of avocados. Your partner who loves avocado should maybe throw the avocados out and try eating avocados in a few weeks or months incase the avocados are indeed bad avocados. Avocado.

by Anonymousreply 6May 24, 2020 4:46 AM

Consult with an allergist OP, before trying r6 suggestion.

by Anonymousreply 7May 24, 2020 4:49 AM

Part of the reason I quit drinking is that I developed an allergy the hops in beer. It didn't happen until I was in my 30s.

by Anonymousreply 8May 24, 2020 5:08 AM

I’ve had this with fruits sometimes. Usually, it’s something added to the fruit, to make it grow better or to stop insects. The worst offender is watermelons. I also can’t eat non organic bananas, as I’ll get a stomach ache. I don’t routinely buy non organic foods, so it’s not in my head or something that is usually used in non organic foods.

Try organic avocados and see if there’s a difference.

by Anonymousreply 9May 24, 2020 5:14 AM

Your body talks to you, try listening.

If a food makes you sick, don't eat it.

by Anonymousreply 10May 24, 2020 5:17 AM

He may have a FODMAP problem. This is not a new age thing. It's a real intolerance (i.e. gastric disturbances of various kinds) to various kind of fruit sugars (FODMAP is the acronym for these various sugars--I think the first one is fructans, etc.) I went to a regular university nutritionist for help with my issues. Monash University in Australia is the leading researcher on FODMAPS. There is a lot of info online about this. Avocado is a high FODMAP food. A low FODMAP serving would be an 1/8 of an avocado (2 Tbsps I think?) I was having a lot of trouble with avocados (and hadn't had before). I was eating a lot because they were supposed to be so healthy and I like them. Now I eat a couple of slices occasionally--doesn't seem to bother me in small quantities.

by Anonymousreply 11May 24, 2020 5:23 AM

Avocados aggravate my GERD for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 12May 24, 2020 5:35 AM

I second r11 and the FODMAP connection. The FODMAP list has helped me tremendously in identifying and eliminating foods that left me with stomach pain, bloat and searching for a restroom.

Asparagus was one of my culprits.

Here is some info.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 24, 2020 5:38 AM

Thanks for all the info, everyone. Like R1, I developed an allergy to crab when I was in my 40s. Wasn’t allergic before. I have had reactions to crab around four times since then. I have not tried lobster because I free it’s too close to crab and so I thought it’s best to avoid. Luckily I’m not allergic to shrimp or prawns! :)

by Anonymousreply 14May 24, 2020 5:50 AM

I used to pretend I was allergic to seafood. But the truth is that I just hate it. Now I tell people, "Oh, no, thank you, I hate that."

by Anonymousreply 15May 24, 2020 7:11 AM

Interesting info regarding FODMAP. I haven't eaten bananas for almost 25 years because they would give me such horrible, painful stomach aches. But that only started happening in my mid-late 20s. I ate them as a child and teen with no issues. I sometimes notice the same issue with avocado though not as intense as the banana pain. I'm 50 now and have been curious if they would still bother me but I'm scared to try. They were never a favorite so I don't really miss them but I would love to taste banana bread again.

by Anonymousreply 16May 24, 2020 7:40 AM

r14, my aunt is highly allergic to crab but can eat lobster with no problem. She loves shrimp and prawns too. Not sure why crab is different.

by Anonymousreply 17May 24, 2020 7:41 AM

A friend of mine is allergic to avocado and mango. She claims they’re related, botanically.

by Anonymousreply 18May 24, 2020 7:50 AM

Avocado has a high fat content. I don't tolerate fatty foods and get the same symptoms. So stay away from fats. You really don't need much in your diet on a daily basis.

by Anonymousreply 19May 24, 2020 8:21 AM

Mango skin and vine has *urushiol*, the same oil that's in poison ivy.

by Anonymousreply 20May 24, 2020 8:23 AM

Love all your comments, guys. I love bananas so I’m hoping I’m never allergic to it.

With my crab allergy, when I had an allergy test, crab didn’t register much even though I had about a handful of allergic reactions after I ate crab. Crab (or lobster) was never one of my faves, so doesn’t bother me that I have to avoid it.

by Anonymousreply 21May 24, 2020 10:53 AM

How timely this is! I have been trying to get healthy after months of Quarantine comfort eating - cringe daily bags of animal cookies from the $1 store! anyway I have been eating “very clean” for about 2 weeks and have (sorry - TMI) burning rectum almost everyday - after - pardon the pun careful elimination - Avocados and “cuties”!tangerines. I can digest a cookie that I buy at a gas station - but a tangerine gives me 4 hours of pain!!

by Anonymousreply 22May 24, 2020 11:38 AM

I've always been allergic to vaginas.

by Anonymousreply 23May 24, 2020 12:15 PM

I knew someone whose bf was allergic to his cum.

by Anonymousreply 24May 24, 2020 12:31 PM

[quote] We re-introduced avocado

Hello, Avocado!

by Anonymousreply 25May 24, 2020 12:43 PM

R24, he’s probably allergic to something the boyfriend eats routinely.

by Anonymousreply 26May 24, 2020 12:43 PM

Allergies are weird.

Years ago I had an allergy test and my doctor told me I was showing highly allergic to rye. I asked “the bread or the drink?” It’s the bread.

Prior to that I had eaten rye bread my whole life (one of my favorites) and had absolutely no apparent reaction at all. I still on occasion have a pastrami on rye, again with no interaction. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 27May 24, 2020 12:46 PM

R26 Omg that could’ve been the case! My friend was Filipino but I don’t know what they eat.

by Anonymousreply 28May 24, 2020 12:50 PM

My best friend grew up on an avocado farm. Ate them constantly. 40 years later, half of a slice and he's sick for days. So...yes. As others are saying you can develop a later in life allergy.

by Anonymousreply 29May 24, 2020 12:52 PM

Did you scrub - with a brush - the outside of the avocado? Scrub under water with scrub brush, dry with a paper towel. Use one knife to cut in half. Use a different knife to cut slices or whatever. The outside of the avocado, with all its crevices, can have e-coli. As long as I follow this, I've been okay.

by Anonymousreply 30May 24, 2020 1:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!