Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Ariel Castro kidnappings

This story will haunt me til the day I die. How do you last 10 minutes- let alone 10 years- tied up and raped? The abject fear of being imprisoned in a cold, dark house for years, not knowing what the next moment would bring would give me crippling PTSD forever. Yet these young women survived their ordeal.

I know it was a low income transient neighborhood, but wouldn't neighbors notice things like a man bringing in food, etc. to an apparently uninhabited house? Removing trash?

People, be aware of your surroundings always.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2020 3:18 AM

Taryn Manning played Michelle Knight in the Lifetime movie based on the kidnappings.

by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2020 2:54 AM

And it gave us this musical talent

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 24, 2020 3:09 AM

OP Sweetie Darling, Ariel Castro lived in the house too.

by Anonymousreply 3May 24, 2020 3:41 AM

Their ordeal really speaks to the resiliancy of the human spirit. I didn't see the Lifetime movie, but I do want to read the book Amanda Berry and one other girl wrote. I like books about or by survivors. Alive, the classic book about the Andes Survivors, I read three years ago. Miracle in the Andes, written more recently by the leader of the survivors, Nando Parrado, is the same story but a better read imo.

Getting back to the girls, the 911 call Amanda Berry made right after she escaped is very sweet: "I'm Amanda Berry! I need your help! I was on TV!"

Gina deJesus is estranged from the other two girls btw. Hence the new paragraph.

by Anonymousreply 4May 24, 2020 2:43 PM

I read the book by Michelle Knight. IIRC, Amanda Berry received better treatment from Castro (better food). Castro beat Michelle but, apparently, did not beat AB.

I don't know how to say this, but it sounds like AB distanced or elevated herself from Michelle Knight. The third girl, Gina De Jesus, seems to get along with both Michelle and Amanda.

by Anonymousreply 5May 24, 2020 8:15 PM

Spot on R4 about resiliency of the human spirit. I've seen Michelle Knight in interviews and she is so buoyantly joyful. I was amazed at how upbeat and positive she is despite the utter hell she endured. It makes me wonder if she was always like that or if her ordeal gave her a greater appreciation for life. Elizabeth Smart is like that too. You would never know these women experienced such trauma. When I think of the horrors they lived through, it makes me try to complain less and not sweat the small stuff.

by Anonymousreply 6May 24, 2020 11:48 PM

I would be constantly plotting ways to escape.

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2020 3:14 AM

They came out!

Then they saw what Cleveland had become and ran back in

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2020 3:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!