Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Stubborn/bossy cats

My cat just turned one and he seems to have entered a stubborn phase. He’s a Taurus so I know it comes naturally but lately he’s become even more demanding. He starts trying to wake me up for wet food at about three am by howling in my ear and smacking my face. He has kibble out all night but he doesn’t like it as much. He also wants to go sit on the balcony all the time and when I finally bring him in he goes at the door and gives me the stink eye. We play a lot but he just seems to want what he wants when he wants it. Is this a phase or will I just have to learn to live with it?

by Anonymousreply 121July 16, 2020 4:33 AM

Have you tried ignoring it? Making it sleep in another room? Or are you an invalid of some sort that can't control a cat? Just checking!

by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2020 2:46 AM

It's not a phase, OP, it's a cat.

by Anonymousreply 2May 24, 2020 2:48 AM

My last cat was very sweet and I could distract her with cuddles. He’s a renegade I guess. If I lock him out he cries and I just feel awful. He can be very sweet too

by Anonymousreply 3May 24, 2020 2:51 AM

If you have a bad behavior in an animal, you can certainly bet it's because you reinforce it

TRAIN your animals. How lazy are you?

by Anonymousreply 4May 24, 2020 2:52 AM

Don't leave out any shoes where he can go and take a protest poop.

I had 3 cats. An old mellow calico girl, a bossy bitchy black girl and a nervous tabby who had a wild side and lived across the street in a creek coming home every few days for food. All rescued street cats.

The old girl died and a year later my bitchy monster girl got sick and i had to say goodbye to her. SOB.

Now my previously nervous sweet wild girl has set up in the house. She turned into THE QUEEN. Never leaves home and bosses me around. Picked up all the bad habits of my monster girl.

by Anonymousreply 5May 24, 2020 3:00 AM

Aww they all sound adorable r5.

by Anonymousreply 6May 24, 2020 3:11 AM

I’d start by closing the bedroom door at night so it can’t get in. Maybe it’ll be meowing at first but it’ll get used to it.

by Anonymousreply 7May 24, 2020 3:12 AM

This one just don't give a fuck. Talk about inconsiderate

by Anonymousreply 8May 24, 2020 3:31 AM

r8 link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 24, 2020 3:32 AM

You have to reset boundaries, but it’s going to be brutal. Do not dole out that wet food on demand no matter how much abuse you have to endure in the short term. After a month, if you’re lucky, the early morning wake up calls will stop. If you give in at any point, you’ll have to start all over again. Be prepared— it’s going to be a long siege, but it can be done.

by Anonymousreply 10May 24, 2020 3:48 AM

OP, this cat has you well trained. Well, almost well trained, but he's trying. You have conditioned him to understand that when he demands something, you will eventually respond accordingly. It's not too late (after all, he's only a year old) to change the dynamic in this relationship. Unless you take control, the real "pussy" in this relationship is you. There's a lot of training videos on Youtube on cat training.

by Anonymousreply 11May 24, 2020 3:51 AM

Rat poison isn't just for rats OP!

by Anonymousreply 12May 24, 2020 4:02 AM

You pay the bills.

The cat makes the rules.

by Anonymousreply 13May 24, 2020 4:04 AM

Use those canned-air horns. The second the cat does any of that shit, blow the air horn at it. It will stop doing any bad behaviors.

by Anonymousreply 14May 24, 2020 4:05 AM

You can’t do anything about this, OP. It’s too late. Once a cat establishes dominance, it will never back down.

by Anonymousreply 15May 24, 2020 4:27 AM

[quote]My cat just turned one and he seems to have entered a stubborn phase. He’s a Taurus so...

Aaaand this is where we stop reading!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 24, 2020 4:48 AM

My cat wakes me up if I miss her 4 AM feeding.

by Anonymousreply 17May 24, 2020 4:57 AM

My three-year old cat will eat just one type of food. a dry kibble. If my store is sold out, and I try a different brand, then he'll go on a hunger strike until I get the right food. He'll let me rub his head and cheeks, but he doesn't like to be held. If I pick him up, he'll meow very angrily and constantly, and he'll wag his tail. If I don't put him down, he'll start to struggle physically. He's a big cat, and he weighs 18 pounds. At night, when I go to bed, he goes over to my apartment's main entrance door (on the other side of the door is a hallway), and he meows constantly for an hour. When I approach, he goes over to his food bowl, and he wants me to rub him while he eats his kibble. If I have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, sometimes he will follow me back to my bedroom and try to attack my legs as I get in bed. (This is the only aggressive behavior he's shown.) So, now when I go to the bathroom, I have to walk back to bed backwards, so I can see him coming if he's in that kind of mood.

by Anonymousreply 18May 24, 2020 5:00 AM

Lol, "How Cats Train Humans".

by Anonymousreply 19May 24, 2020 5:45 AM

[quote]He’s a Taurus so I know it comes naturally

Grow up, OP.

by Anonymousreply 20May 24, 2020 5:51 AM

Cool story.

by Anonymousreply 21May 24, 2020 7:01 AM

My adult kitty trains with gentleness and patients. Whatever she wants me to do for her she sits next to it. In some instances if I don't seem to understand her need, she will give further hints. If she sits next to her dinner plate and she sees I'm struggling to remember what that means, she will point to her plate a couple tines in quick succession. After she poops she will sit next to her unscented desert like toilette until I sift out all impurities. When she want a coiffure she next to her mirror. Hermione runs a very tidy house, when she is happy everyone is happy.

by Anonymousreply 22May 24, 2020 7:41 AM

R18 here. My other cat is a one-year-old feral that I adopted when he was about 7 months old. He's grateful to live indoors. He's not picky about food, he's gentle, and he loves to be petted. He especially loves to play. If he's in the bedroom snoozing on the bed, and I'm in the living room cleaning up, and I pick up his lizard-on-a-fishing-pole toy and place it in his toy basket, he will hear the sound of the toy moving, and he'll run into the living room. Then he'll meow repeatedly until I swing around the toy for him. To keep him happy, I have to play with him for about an hour and a half each day (e.g. swinging around his toys, playing chase, wrestling with a handpuppet). If I don't wear him out, then he'll annoy my older cat, who only wants to play on his own timeframe.

by Anonymousreply 23May 24, 2020 8:01 AM

Cats seem to have a mind of their own. They are night creatures so they will always be up several times during the night. Picking up me new kitten by the end of this week. Hope he’ll behave. My firmer cats were always very particular about their kibble and wet food 😏

by Anonymousreply 24May 24, 2020 4:01 PM

*former

by Anonymousreply 25May 24, 2020 4:02 PM

Stop referring to cats as "it."

He, she, or they, will do.

by Anonymousreply 26May 24, 2020 4:04 PM

It sounds like your cat is starting to crack under this stay at home order.

by Anonymousreply 27May 24, 2020 4:07 PM

My little tyrant will slap at your hands, if you don't get his food in the bowl quick enough for him.

Oh, he is learning how to open interior doors now too!

by Anonymousreply 28May 24, 2020 4:18 PM

I lucked out with cats amenable to a feeding schedule AND who let me sleep through the night. It's been like this for 11 years. I'd like to think it's because I'm so clever but I just lucked out with my cats. They will vocalize when it's close to feeding time but that's fair enough. They are feed 4 times between 8am to 11pm.

by Anonymousreply 29May 24, 2020 4:25 PM

I suspect you cat is possessed by a demon - maybe even the devil himself. You're cat needs an exorcism. I live in California and there are plenty of animal exorcists available. Just look online under "Exorcist - Felus Syvestris"

Be aware that before any legitimate cat exorcist will take you seriously, you need to have a full workup by a cat psychologist, to rule out any mental or emotional problems. Does your cat pee on the rug when you have guests?

by Anonymousreply 30May 24, 2020 4:32 PM

My cat goes to sleep when I sleep and rarely wakes me up for food. If she does, she will do some tap taps with her paw, careful not to use her claws. She has soft meows and hardly speaks, and so she doesn’t yell for food.

by Anonymousreply 31May 24, 2020 4:34 PM

You need to get laid...by a human.

by Anonymousreply 32May 24, 2020 4:48 PM

[quote] ... you need to have a full workup by a cat psychologist ....

R30, is that a psychologist who specializes in cats, or a cat with a degree in psychologist? If the latter, does the cat insist on being addressed as "Dr." (due to an inferiority complex about having only a PhD instead of an M.D.)?

by Anonymousreply 33May 24, 2020 4:51 PM

R29, that's great isn't it? When my older cat ate wet food, he would wake me up at 7 a.m. every morning--even on weekends--for his breakfast. When he decided he didn't like wet food anymore, and his bowl of kibble was always available, there was no reason for him to wake me up anymore. My younger cat eats wet food, but he's used to me serving it at 8 p.m. I give them treats at 6:30, and they will meow at me if I don't give them their treats by 7. Sometimes my older fellow decides he wants extra treats, and he'll go to a certain corner of the kitchen (where I serve him his treats) and meow.

by Anonymousreply 34May 24, 2020 5:04 PM

I don’t understand how my cat is so good at knowing what time it is.

by Anonymousreply 35May 24, 2020 5:16 PM

Bastards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 24, 2020 6:59 PM

My late grandmother's vocal Siamese, Nellie, was often referred to as bossy. It was hilarious because my grandmother would have arguments with her. One time we could hear them bickering with each other in the other room, stuff like,

"no more. You're too fat."

MIAW MIAW MIAW!

"You're nothing but a bossy nuisance!"

MIAW MIAW MIAW MIAW MIAW!

by Anonymousreply 37May 24, 2020 10:02 PM

Just be glad your pets aren't jumbo sized.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 24, 2020 11:10 PM

Siamese cats aren't necessarily bossy but they have a rep for being talkers.

by Anonymousreply 39May 25, 2020 1:42 AM

My kitten is 7 weeks old and according to the vet too small to walk around freely through the house so she told me to buy a puppy bench. Whenever the kitten is put back in the bench he starts miaowing like crazy. As the horrible educator that I am, I feel sorry for him and take him out again. I feel like I have already ruined the chances of getting him to behave. Hopefully he’ll be allowed to stay outside of the bench in a week or two when he is a bit bigger.

by Anonymousreply 40June 7, 2020 7:50 AM

Put the ugly howling brute outside for the night. It sounds disgusting. Don't understand all you weak hoes who are quite literally pussy whipped.

by Anonymousreply 41June 7, 2020 8:14 AM

You better change that picky behaviour pronto, R18, because when he gets older, he will need adapted food, ie, for kidney health. And also, a mono diet of kibble isn't healthy at all with respect to the bladder and kidneys.

by Anonymousreply 42June 7, 2020 8:26 AM

I feed my cats their wet food in the evenings, precisely because I don't want them to expect to be fed in the mornings and to wake me up.

I fill the kibble bowl at random times, so they don't get used to a schedule there either. They will drop a hint if the level of the kibble gets low, that's fine, but I'm not having them waking me up in the fucking morning.

by Anonymousreply 43June 7, 2020 8:38 AM

Our tortie is very vocal and very bossy (also very affectionate and loving, so we put up with it).

She loves to be petted and to sit on our laps, but only on a blanket. She will sit there and stare at us and meow until we get up, get a blanket, and put it in place, at which point Her Majesty will finally ascend her throne.

One blanket in particular is her favorite. It's red on one side and patterned on the other, though both sides are the same material and at least to us, they feel the same. But she will sit and stare at us if the red side is up, until we flip it to the patterned side. Then she's satisfied and immediately climbs aboard.

I swear to God, I would never put up with this fussiness from a human. But cats hypnotize us. It makes sense that Egyptians thought they were gods.

by Anonymousreply 44June 7, 2020 10:15 AM

"a bossy bitchy black girl"

Raci$t Le$bian troll alert @R5.

by Anonymousreply 45June 7, 2020 10:24 AM

I've posted about my three adopted foundling kitties Mama Myrtle, son Billy, and daughter Millie. Billy has recently turned into a stubborn mischief maker. Every night he has decided he must jump onto any raised surface he can find and look for things he can steal. I keep 4 coin rolls (quarter/nickel/dime/penny) in a unit on the side of my desk that I fill with my loose change. He recently decided he needed to hop up there at night and pull those rolls out one by one and dump all the change all over the house. After I moved them to a place he can't get to he's decided to start removing writing pens from the same unit. He's also pulled things off the kitchen counters and has taken great pride in pulling place mats off the table so he can curl up and sleep on them even though he has a big beautiful soft bed. But he's so lovable I don't care (well other than the coins I'm still finding in weird places all over the house). He woke me up this morning patting my head with his paw.

I just can't bring myself to be upset with the little scamp. He's way too cute when he goes into his long daily nap in his favorite window.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 7, 2020 10:46 AM

Typical

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 7, 2020 11:02 AM

Don’t we love those self willed felines

by Anonymousreply 48June 7, 2020 12:01 PM

Boarding school...keeps their asses in line..

by Anonymousreply 49June 7, 2020 12:14 PM

R46 my Siamese is a little hoarder...like, he needs his own show. Twist ties, cat food lids, q-tips, catnip mice, elastic bands...I don't know why they do this, but moving my dresser out to clean behind is always a surprise collection!

by Anonymousreply 50June 7, 2020 6:48 PM

It's kind of cute R50, maybe he expected covid;) and shortages

by Anonymousreply 51June 7, 2020 7:04 PM

I've posted about this before, but after my disabled Persian used his litterbox, he would howl for me to come and wipe his butt and paws.

How I miss him!

by Anonymousreply 52June 8, 2020 6:10 AM

My three cats are all demanding spoilt cunts.

by Anonymousreply 53June 8, 2020 8:39 AM

Last night around 1am I had yet to drift off to sleep. I heard movement outside in the hallway and then something drop on the floor. My first thought was "what has Billy gotten into now". I got out of bed and went out into the hall and the rascal was sprawled out on the floor next to the metal and plastic drain stopper from the bathroom sink. It's the kind that moves up and down by pulling and pushing the lever just behind the faucet. I don't know how long he worked to get that plug out of there but it definitely took him great effort.

This morning I walked into the kitchen and he had removed a soft brush I use to wash my hands with from a box sitting behind the sink. I guess he played with it a while on the floor and then lost interest.

He's just 4 legs of mischief. LOL

by Anonymousreply 54June 9, 2020 5:04 PM

I lost my bossy girl this weekend to a surprise attack from a dog. My beautiful Fifi would tell me when to go to bed. The house is so empty now. How will i know when to g to bed now? She was to be my last cat and was reveling in her rise to Queenhood. Gone too soon

by Anonymousreply 55June 10, 2020 5:07 AM

"He's a Taurus."

I hope that cat bites you right on the ass, every day, for the rest of your life.

by Anonymousreply 56June 10, 2020 5:15 AM

I'm so sorry, MissDoug. May God watch over your cat's soul in cat heaven.

by Anonymousreply 57June 10, 2020 5:16 AM

I'm so sorry, Miss Doug/R55.

by Anonymousreply 58June 10, 2020 5:16 AM

How awful, MissDoug.

by Anonymousreply 59June 10, 2020 9:08 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 10, 2020 10:04 AM

sorry for your loss Miss Doug.....much love to you.

by Anonymousreply 61June 10, 2020 10:17 AM

R60 the joys of having a cat in your bedroom. They never let you forget they are nocturnal animals.

by Anonymousreply 62June 10, 2020 10:18 AM

Dear Stubborn Cat:

Pee on his bed. Been doing it off and on for years. No medical problems, just occasionally ornery.

by Anonymousreply 63June 10, 2020 10:21 AM

Ew. No pussy.

by Anonymousreply 64June 10, 2020 10:26 AM

R60 I draw the line at that 3AM kneading shit. My cat did that, woke me up. I took the cat, put him outside my bedroom, closed the door, stuck ear plugs in my ears, went back to sleep. Neighbor said the cat howled for an hour.

by Anonymousreply 65June 10, 2020 10:35 AM

How are things going with your cat now OP?

by Anonymousreply 66June 10, 2020 11:23 AM

R55, consider fostering cats for a rescue group. You can have a cat around without long-term commitment and would be helping a good cause.

by Anonymousreply 67June 10, 2020 1:13 PM

I appreciate the concern and advice r67 but the cat killing dog is still a factor. I would not expose another animal to that dog. One mistake and it's a tragedy. Fifi made one mistake and it cost her her life. When I moved into this home there were two dogs in the neighborhood, an old cat loving rotty and an old poodle. I am now surrounded by 6 pitbulls. No more cats and tragedy for me.

I'm considering a bird rescue.

by Anonymousreply 68June 10, 2020 1:57 PM

R68 MissDoug, what are the laws in your area for dogs running loose? Where I live, they must be penned or tied out, but if they are loose and there is even one complaint, the SPCA is all over the owners. In the case of a roaming dog injuring another pet animal, the dog is seized. Having said that, I am terribly sorry for your loss. That is heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 69June 10, 2020 2:03 PM

I feel your pain, OP.

I adopted Cosmo from a local vet who used to take care of our pets when I was younger. I was able to work from home the first week so I thought I had him trained for 6 am breakfast. NOT! My normal wake up time used to be 5:30 am (before COVID) so he wakes me up at that time now.

The vet tech suggested putting him a closed room for a few days until he got used to the normal sounds in my house. Hell no! I kept in him my bedroom the first night. His litterbox is in my master bathroom so it worked out fine.

I closed the doors to the 2nd bedroom, 2nd bathroom and utility closet (where the washer, dryer, HVAC, and hot water heater are). He wasn't having it! He pulled at the rug spots in front of the door and ruined them. The only door that stays closed now is the utility closet. He chewed a wire on the hot water heater.

Speaking of chewing wire, he's chewed the cords to my cordless phones and alarm clock. I had to buy that plastic cord protector that usually used for puppies/dogs. The TV in the living room has a loose plug. Cos has learned how to unplug the TV when he wants attention. I bought electrical tape so that solved that problem.

He's strictly an indoor cat. I love it when he runs through the house, jumps on the kitchen counter, to the top of the fridge, to the top of cabinets. In fact, when I had the kitchen updated, I opted not to have the cabinets go to the ceiling because it's the most exercise he gets.

I don't know that you can change your cat's behavior, R1. Once you adopt a cat, you pretty much give up ownership of everything you have. Cos runs the house and I'm privileged to pay the mortgage and other bills in exchange for the unconditional love he gives me everyday. I get a belly laugh from him at least once a day.

by Anonymousreply 70June 10, 2020 2:18 PM

The dog was not running loose. I live in a duplex and share a backyard with the woman who owns the dog. Fifi who was a street rescue was leary of the dog and kept her distance for two years. Fifi slept through the day and roamed at night. I was looking after the dog and Fifi probably heard my voice and not the neighbors voice and decided to come see me not realizing the dog was outside for a pee. She zigged when she should have zagged and got killed. A momentary lapse in behavior. The neighbor is devastated she has had regrets about rescuing this dog because it's very powerful and has dragged her during walks when the dog sees other dogs and cats. Fifi is it's first victim.

I have for 30 years rescued cats off the street. But that's no longer viable as having indoor/outdoor cats is not possible now. I am taking a break from cats. I am heartbroken about Fifi and will miss her terribly. She was just entering into her old lady stay at home more often stage.

by Anonymousreply 71June 10, 2020 2:38 PM

"Speaking of chewing wire, he's chewed the cords to my cordless phones and alarm clock. I had to buy that plastic cord protector that usually used for puppies/dogs."

Oh gawd, my sweet darling cutie-poo Princess Fluffylint loved to chew on coaxial cables! One time the cable box stopped working and the guy came out to look at it, and he said the box was fine, and showed me all the tiny fang-marks on the coaxial cables that led from the wall to the TV. Princess hadn't done herself any harm, but she'd ruined all the cables.

And when I say "loved to" chew on the coaxials, past tense, I don't mean I got her to stop, I mean I changed out cable TV for a Roku. I wrapped duct tape around the coaxial cables to keep her from chewing the damn things for a while, she loved the nice firm rubber but not with duct tape over it.

by Anonymousreply 72June 10, 2020 3:36 PM

You’re the problem. Your cat is fine. It’s just reacting to living with a nut case.

by Anonymousreply 73June 10, 2020 4:09 PM

[quote]so she told me to buy a puppy bench.

What's a puppy bench? Sounds more like a cage than a bench. I Googled and that was no help....

by Anonymousreply 74June 10, 2020 4:16 PM

R74 it's indeed a type of cage, regularly used for dogs, sorry I am not a native speaker maybe the American word is different. please enlighten me. Added a link to a picture. Anyway I can't keep him in anymore and cats don't belong in benches anyway. I cleaned out two upstairs bedrooms so he has some space to roam and can't get stuck behind closets, chew on wires or hide in closets. I still have to present his food to him a few times a day in order for him to eat it. He seems fine now and is playful. Has gained more than 250 grams the pas two weeks. The bench is gone now. When he gets bigger he can roam the whole house freely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75June 10, 2020 5:34 PM

Sorry, MissDoug, that dog has got to be euthanased. It's great that your neighbour feels devastated, but that isn't enough. Either your neighbour surrenders it or you report it. Save the next vulnerable cat owner a lot of heartbreak. And next time get yourself an indoor only cat.

by Anonymousreply 76June 10, 2020 5:43 PM

R74, in the US, we call it a crate and there's the term 'crating a dog'. Yes, basically, not allowing to free roam in the home.

by Anonymousreply 77June 10, 2020 6:00 PM

There are not going to be any other cats in my house. I had already decided that I was not going to have any more. I just didn't realize our time was going to be cut so short. I'm not a fan of indoor cat life.

There are no more cats in my neighborhood. I rescued all of them. Not to say another might show up but he isn't exposed to any other cats except the one he lives with. I have a good relationship with my neighbor, I'm not gonna demand her dog be euthanized especially in a town that champions pitty rescue. That's not going to happen, they don't euthanize these dogs unless a human is involved.

I actually came to like this dog. This dog loves me and I am one of only two people that this dog gets to interact with. But not anymore. I told my neighbor that I won't be able to love on her dog anymore.

by Anonymousreply 78June 10, 2020 6:08 PM

My cat waits until the middle of the night to eat his wet food. Each morning, I was waking up to a mess, so I fed him early one night so that I could observe him in action.

What a slob! Is that normal?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79June 10, 2020 9:02 PM

R79, in my experience with rescue cats, I've run across cats who drink with their paws. Maybe seen one eat the same way. It's certainly unusual. I think they are wary of sticking their face into water or food--perhaps a safety mechanism? Or they saw their mom do it so they followed suit?

by Anonymousreply 80June 10, 2020 9:20 PM

R80, we had a cat who'd stick one paw into a glass of milk and lick it, then stick it back into the glass and lick it again, etc. We had to cover glasses of milk whenever people weren't drinking out of them. He wasn't interested in any other beverages -- iced tea, fruit juice, soda pop, wine, booze -- just milk, and he wouldn't drink it out of a bowl or put his tongue into the glass. He was born to our neighbors' pet and lived with people from infancy, never had to hunt for food or learn survival from his mom. A very special cat (in every sense) and I miss him badly.

by Anonymousreply 81June 10, 2020 9:43 PM

'I'm not gonna demand her dog be euthanized especially in a town that champions pitty rescue'

Move towns for fuck's sake. You sound as if you're living in some dystopian nightmare. The pits have you whipped if you're blaming your cat for being killed - 'she zigged when she should have zagged'. And what the hell were you doing looking after a gross pitbull? Your poor cat was murdered in her own garden, her safe space. You don't deserve to be a cat owner.

You should be ashamed. All this sounds like an excuse so you can adopt a disgusting pitbull yourself.

by Anonymousreply 82June 10, 2020 9:50 PM

For all of you with feeding time issues, cats like routine. If you feed them at 7AM, they want and expect it every day at 7AM, and so forth. Take charge of the issue! If not, the cat will walk all over you. OP, you're a wuss and your cat appreciates it.

by Anonymousreply 83June 10, 2020 11:05 PM

What's all this awww adowable kitty pussy tat nonsense.

Cats were meant to be let out to find their own homes. They usually have 2 or 3. They choose where to go and when. You are free to give them some food when they show up if they are good mousers, or throw a poker at them if you're in a bad mood or they've been raiding the cave larder.

by Anonymousreply 84June 10, 2020 11:27 PM

FUCK YOU R82.

I'm elderly, on a small fixed income. I can't pick up and move anytime. My neighborhood has changed since I moved in. I'm surrounded by well meaning lesbians and young couples who get dogs from the APS who nowadays are chock to the brim with pits. There's much virtue signalling going on here in peoples choice of animals. I was letting the dog out to pee because my neighbor had to look after her mother in another state, I have never owned a dog. and never will.

BLOCKED ASSHOLE

by Anonymousreply 85June 11, 2020 12:42 AM

😾 OP, get used to it.

It's not a phase. He's just warming up.

by Anonymousreply 86June 11, 2020 12:45 AM

R83 and let one’s cat shit in other people’s gardens? That’s rude, imo you have a responsibility when you have a pet. Can’t expect the neighbours to take care of it.

by Anonymousreply 87June 11, 2020 5:43 AM

MissDoug, you also said that your neighbour had poor control of the dog when she took him out for walks - he lunges at other dogs and cats. It's only a matter of time before he kills another animal or mauls a small child. In other countries, such as where I come from, pitbulls are banned, for good reason.

by Anonymousreply 88June 11, 2020 6:26 AM

they are banned here too, they are one of the most aggressive dogbreeds. A half breed killed a small poodle in the park here a few years ago. Your neighbours dog is clearly unfit to be a pet.

by Anonymousreply 89June 11, 2020 7:03 AM

Poor Fifi's owner is a disgusting person. She was looking after a neighbour's repulsive pitbull and did not bother leasing it, so her cat was killed just for being in her own garden. Now this immoral woman wants to protect the vile dog so it can kill other pets.

Let's hope the rabid pitbull attacks Fifi's owner next time.

by Anonymousreply 90June 11, 2020 10:59 AM

I am talking about FEEDING, nitwit R87. That means MEALS, not shitting on neighbor's property. Reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

by Anonymousreply 91June 11, 2020 11:30 AM

Pet threads on DL attract both the kindest and meanest replies.

by Anonymousreply 92June 11, 2020 11:48 AM

R90 you wouldn’t seriously believe someone would put his pet knowingly in danger. Bitching is common at DL but your comments are simply nasty. Someone just suffered a loss and is grieving. Just scroll by.

by Anonymousreply 93June 11, 2020 12:10 PM

I've also seen my cat (at R79) eat normally. So I don't know how often he uses his paws to eat and drink. He was born to a feral mother, and he ate meals on my mother's back deck, where he'd allow my mother to pet him. When he was about 6 months old, I captured him and brought him to live in my apartment. He loves living indoors, and he loves my other cat (though the other cat isn't crazy about him).

There are a few benefits to his having been raised feral: he's very gentle, and never bites or scratches me. During a thunderstorm, he doesn't flinch at all at the sound of thunder. (My other cat runs and hides under the bed for two hours.) However, he is extremely shy when I have a houseguest. (He hides in another room.)

by Anonymousreply 94June 12, 2020 12:33 AM

A friend of mine adopted a feral cat. When he’d come across a river or creek he’d stand at the edge and wave his paw back and forth through the water, staring intently. He was looking for fish.

So that eating-with-paws behavior could be a throwback to that kind of hunting behavior.

by Anonymousreply 95June 12, 2020 1:19 AM

Fuck Cats!

by Anonymousreply 96June 12, 2020 1:42 AM

Fuck you

r96

by Anonymousreply 97June 25, 2020 9:22 PM

R95 I read that too if the ancestors of the cat were the types of cats that fished the behaviour remains in the lineage.

by Anonymousreply 98July 9, 2020 8:02 AM

He slaps you in the face for believing in astrology.

by Anonymousreply 99July 9, 2020 8:21 AM

Another explanation of why cats paw water or liquid food is because they have poor depth perception. Sticking their face into a pool of water could be unsafe or uncomfortable.They use their paw to gauge how the depth of the water.

by Anonymousreply 100July 9, 2020 2:29 PM

My kitten keeps climbing in my legs(ouch). Esp when I prepare his wet food. Don’t know how to teach him to not doing this anymore. I put him on the ground everytime and I say no. Doesn’t work.

by Anonymousreply 101July 14, 2020 9:09 AM

You reward him with food every time he climbs your legs, R101. Figure it out.

by Anonymousreply 102July 14, 2020 9:12 AM

[quote]My cat just turned one and he seems to have entered a stubborn phase.

Sounds like my kind of cat. We could be great friends.

by Anonymousreply 103July 14, 2020 9:12 AM

R102 so I should withhold the bowl but that sucks if I have leave for work. That means he wouldn’t have any wet food all day till I return.

by Anonymousreply 104July 14, 2020 10:13 AM

No, R104, don't withhold his food. But you have to make a gap between the time you put the bowl down and him climbing your leg, to break the association.

by Anonymousreply 105July 14, 2020 10:34 AM

I have three cats. Two brothers aged 8 and their mother who would be no more than 10.

I'm thinking of buying two dogs - both Samoyed pups (would prefer one male & one female).

How to people think my cats will react?

by Anonymousreply 106July 14, 2020 10:43 AM

I have a cat that I adore. She has tried the early morning antics of pawing my face and kissing me to get her morning wet meal. Luckily I have a big dog as well who is the gatekeeper to the bedroom door, and often my cat's plans to wake me get thwarted. Both me and my elder dog want a good night's sleep, and she has trained the cat to not disrupt us.

by Anonymousreply 107July 14, 2020 11:14 AM

For R81

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108July 14, 2020 11:17 AM

R105 thank you, will give it a try😺

by Anonymousreply 109July 14, 2020 11:20 AM

FFS even the cat knows you're a weak fattard, OP.

by Anonymousreply 110July 14, 2020 6:16 PM

My beloved old Mog is 17 now, and is getting cranky in his old age. He used to be content with having his box cleaned out once a day, now he poops outside the box if there's already poop there when he has to go. And he's taken to bothering me during breakfast to clean his box, dammit, now that I'm out of bed.

Is there any hope of changing this behavior at his age? He's reached the feline equivalent of the "get off my lawn" years, and he was always a dim bulb.

by Anonymousreply 111July 14, 2020 8:26 PM

How many damn times does the cat poop a day, R111? It should be once. If I were you I take him to the vet.

by Anonymousreply 112July 14, 2020 8:30 PM

R112, there's another cat. Who is sweet and cute and who adores him, and who is as dumb as a rock.

I mean, it's hard to modify the behavior of a cat with a normal intelligence, but these two?

by Anonymousreply 113July 14, 2020 8:37 PM

I think it’d be easier to buy one more box R111. You put the second/clean one out during breakfast. My vet said it’s always good to have more boxes than cats....

by Anonymousreply 114July 14, 2020 8:41 PM

Yes, R111, get another box. Even if they share, it's better than two using one box. The pooping outside the box may indicate he has hip pain and it's painful to get in and out of the box too. That's easier than if it's a mental thing. There are many solutions to these things - ask the VET.

Funny that you say he's dumb as a rock. The cat love of my life was a dope, but his sister was a genius. She could figure out how to get out of the vet cardboard cat carrier, she'd jump on the banister to open a door by the door knob, all sorts of insane and annoying things like that.

by Anonymousreply 115July 14, 2020 8:51 PM

R115 Wise words, R111 for elderly cats or sick cats leave the lit/top off the boxes.

by Anonymousreply 116July 14, 2020 8:57 PM

"Funny that you say he's dumb as a rock. The cat love of my life was a dope, but his sister was a genius."

Funny you should say that, because my sweet little dumbass also has a litter-mate who's a genius. He can get anywhere and open anything, I call him "Doctor Evil".

And yeah, I'll look into a second box, one with a lower edge. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 117July 14, 2020 8:58 PM

Definitely have more than one box. Even if for only one cat, an elderly cat needs one in different locations, unless you live in a one room apartment. But each cat needs a minimum of one box.

by Anonymousreply 118July 15, 2020 5:56 AM

Well, I did as advised, and yesterday evening I set up a second box with a lower rim, easier for an eldercat to use.

So far, neither cat has discovered its existence or used it, in spite of being plunked into it a few times so that they've definitely been informed of its existence. I told you they were both slow learners.

by Anonymousreply 119July 16, 2020 12:20 AM

They probably think you are slow plonking them a very obvious second litter box that they will check out in due time. "Wtf the human is obsessed with plonking us in the new box?? Is he off his meds?"

by Anonymousreply 120July 16, 2020 1:41 AM

Lead them by the nose: add some of the litter from the old box to the new box.

by Anonymousreply 121July 16, 2020 4:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!