Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The "Lost" Series Finale, 10 Years Later: The Highs, the Lows, and the Closing Credits That Caused a Commotion

On May 23, 2010, ABC’s "Lost" ended its six-season run with a two-hour finale that drew nearly 14 million viewers and about as many critical think pieces. How does it hold up a decade later?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 24, 2020 3:44 PM

It was awful. That guys’ article reminds of details I had forgotten about... but he draws the opposite conclusion from those details for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2020 12:43 AM

I quit watching from Season 4 on; Seasons 1 and 2 weren't bad but when they killed the only likeable, sympathetic character who could actually act (Charlie) that was it for me....

by Anonymousreply 2May 24, 2020 12:52 AM

I never watched this show. Not even once.

by Anonymousreply 3May 24, 2020 1:00 AM

Should have been a miniseries. Started off strong but then went in too many directions

by Anonymousreply 4May 24, 2020 1:15 AM

They made it all up as they went along. They kept teasing the finale would somehow tie up all the loose ends, but that never really happened. Six years of watching this hot mess!

by Anonymousreply 5May 24, 2020 1:18 AM

As long as they didn't pair Sawyer with that brunette woman, I was OK with the finale.

by Anonymousreply 6May 24, 2020 3:34 AM

Christian Shepherd, really?

That was my reaction to that lackluster ending.

by Anonymousreply 7May 24, 2020 6:50 AM

I watched the pilot. That was enough for me.

I remember people who watched this show going on and on about it and all I could think was what a setup for disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 8May 24, 2020 7:11 AM

Didn't they swear up and down that in the end you wouldn't find out that someone was dreaming and they weren't dead or not in limbo and ultimately... weren't they dead?

by Anonymousreply 9May 24, 2020 7:29 AM

^That was a serious question. I don't remember what the ending was.

by Anonymousreply 10May 24, 2020 7:30 AM

The issue was that the creators were so adamant that the island wasn't purgatory ... because *BIG TWIST* the place they leave the island for is purgatory ... *Mind. Blown!* (no, not really).

That and the push for the fandom to be more creative with their interpretation of every single detail, than the showrunners came up with in the end, made the actual show underwhelming. Fans were strung along and more than encouraged to invest time promoting the show on the internet by sharing their thoughts about the latest episode and create the big hype that Lost became and then it was just a bunch of "meh".

The over the top hype created an expectation that could not be met by any actual finale. Just like Game of Thrones. With popular mass appeal come great expectations. And Hollywood sucks when it comes to delivering a good finale because by then they have tapped out and laugh all the way to the bank while leaving the fans in the dirt.

by Anonymousreply 11May 24, 2020 7:55 AM

R11 is right...part of the problem is that the fans were better at coming up with ideas to resolve things than the writers. And yeah, the ending was awful!

by Anonymousreply 12May 24, 2020 2:51 PM

I remember Lost being THE water cooler show, with co-workers and myself talking about the previous night's show and what everything, even minuscule details, might mean. And as R11 and R12 wrote, discovering that, in the end, most of it meant nothing and were simply red herrings and MacGuffins was disappointing, not only from a viewer's perspective but when seeing the entire creative process as a whole was a major let-down. For its time, it was must-see television but a best-of series of all time? Hardly.

by Anonymousreply 13May 24, 2020 3:26 PM

I do think it had one of the best first episodes of a series.

I missed the beginning of season 1, but was able to catch it when ABC reran the early episodes during the summer.

Yes, I stayed with it all the way through after that.

I was more interested in the characters than all that BS company stuff, so I was not really disappointed by the finale.

It was clearly impossible for them to explain and clear up all the bits and pieces of the bizarre happenings in one finale. So, I wasn't disappointed when they didn't.

by Anonymousreply 14May 24, 2020 3:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!