Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

North Dakota governor on brink of tears as he decries ‘mask shaming’

In North Dakota on Friday, the Republican governor, Doug Burgum, decried a “senseless dividing line” between US citizens over whether masks should be worn in public during the coronavirus pandemic.

As he pleaded with citizens of his state to “try to dial up your empathy and your understanding”, Burgum was moved to the brink of tears.

Related: No masks allowed: stores turn customers away in US culture war

“We’re all in this together and there’s only one battle we’re fighting,” he said. “And that’s the battle of the virus.”

As Donald Trump encourages states to reopen their battered economies, federal authorities are recommending covering the face in public when social distancing is difficult, for example in grocery stores.

Some states require residents to wear masks in public settings. North Dakota, where Burgum allowed reopening to start from 1 May, does not.

The president has notably refused to wear a mask in public, although he was photographed wearing one on a visit to a Ford plant in Michigan this week.

On Saturday, Secret Service officers who were with the president on a trip to a golf course were pictured wearing masks. Trump was not.

Some rightwing protesters have attracted publicity by refusing to wear masks, while some shopkeepers have reportedly sought to deny service to people wearing face coverings.

Speaking to reporters at the state capitol in Bismarck on Friday, Bergum said he “would really love to see in North Dakota that we could just skip this thing that other parts of the nation are going through, that they’re creating a divide. Either it’s ideological or political or something around mask versus no mask.

“This is I would say a senseless dividing line and I would ask people to try to dial up your empathy and your understanding. If someone is wearing a mask, they’re not doing it to represent what political party they’re in or what candidates they support.”

As he continued, Burgum struggled not to break down in tears.

“They might be doing it because they’ve got a five-year-old who’s been going through cancer treatments,” he said.

“They might have vulnerable adults in their life who currently have Covid-19 and are fighting.

“So again, I would just love to see our state, as part of being ‘North Dakota smart’, also be ‘North Dakota kind’, ‘North Dakota empathetic’, ‘North Dakota understanding’, to do this thing. Because if somebody wants to wear a mask, there should be no mask shaming.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93May 24, 2020 10:48 PM

I've been to North Dakota and anyone who lives there is better off dead anyway. Shithole state.

by Anonymousreply 1May 23, 2020 11:24 PM

[quote] North Dakota governor on brink of tears as he decries ‘mask shaming’

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 2May 23, 2020 11:30 PM

evidently the evil people of North Dakota have been harassing the decent people in North Dakota for wearing masks during a pandemic

See governor dipshit of North Dakota, this is why they need to teach science in schools

by Anonymousreply 3May 23, 2020 11:35 PM

[quote] some shopkeepers have reportedly sought to deny service to people wearing face coverings

Seriously?

Wow. I've never heard of that.

by Anonymousreply 4May 23, 2020 11:38 PM

I can't believe, R4, you seriously have not heard that. Here in NYC, there are signs that say, "No mask, no entry." And they're absolutely right.

by Anonymousreply 5May 23, 2020 11:43 PM

R4 they can choose to, and they should. Why should workers wear them while asshole customers do not? It's no different than denying service for not having shoes/ shirt on.

by Anonymousreply 6May 23, 2020 11:50 PM

R5 Think you are reading that wrong.

by Anonymousreply 7May 23, 2020 11:53 PM

R5 and R6 are DEFINITELY reading it wrong.

The quote says that PEOPLE WITH MASKS are being denied entry.

If you are wearing a mask, they will not let you in.

GET IT? Fucking hell, you idiots can't read, yet you lash out at people. It's YOUR mistake!

I can't stand people like you.

by Anonymousreply 8May 23, 2020 11:57 PM

I was in a hurry and forgot mine going to Kroger's today. I got some dirty looks. Strange thing is I've been wearing them steadily for months when people mostly weren't. Now its become a 'thing'. Hall Monitors everywhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 23, 2020 11:57 PM

I would just say, "Thank you for letting me know this is a horrible store. I won't ever be returning." and turn around and leave.

by Anonymousreply 10May 24, 2020 12:01 AM

[quote]I would just say, "Thank you for letting me know this is a horrible store. I won't ever be returning." and turn around and leave.

Oh, sweetie -- no. A good Datalounger turns on his heels and FLOUNCES out!

by Anonymousreply 11May 24, 2020 12:27 AM

[quote] I can't believe, [R4], you seriously have not heard that. Here in NYC, there are signs that say, "No mask, no entry." And they're absolutely right.

I haven't heard of mask-shaming either. But then again I'm not a nutjob with retarded ideas about how to prevent contagious disease.

by Anonymousreply 12May 24, 2020 12:31 AM

R11 how exactly does one flounce in case I ever need to?

by Anonymousreply 13May 24, 2020 12:31 AM

Turn on your heel, sigh, and make sure your caftan swirls around, and then stride away with your head high in the air, R13.

by Anonymousreply 14May 24, 2020 12:33 AM

Blue states should ban travel from deplorable states let those fuckers die from their stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 15May 24, 2020 12:38 AM

R14, you married?

by Anonymousreply 16May 24, 2020 12:46 AM

Calm down, R8, you cunt.

by Anonymousreply 17May 24, 2020 3:44 PM

I have to confess: I'm astounded that people are still wearing masks. The mass hysteria in this country is unlike anything I've ever seen before.

by Anonymousreply 18May 24, 2020 4:01 PM

I'm astounded at how stupid you are, R18. You honestly don't think people in NYC should be wearing masks?

by Anonymousreply 19May 24, 2020 4:02 PM

Seriously? You want to open up your silly little state, but don't even want to take a bare minimum of safety precautions.

If only we could let Darwin and evolution take its natural course with these people.

by Anonymousreply 20May 24, 2020 4:08 PM

The virus will run its natural course, especially when it comes back. Dumb maskless fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 21May 24, 2020 4:10 PM

[quote]I have to confess: I'm astounded that people are still wearing masks.

I have to confess: I'm astounded that Breitbartians and their ilk continue to spew their nonsense on DL.

by Anonymousreply 22May 24, 2020 4:15 PM

[quote] I have to confess: I'm astounded that people are still wearing masks. The mass hysteria in this country is unlike anything I've ever seen before.

You should visit a Covid ward here in a LA County hospital, R18.

The sight of many struggling to breathe is unforgettable. (Death by asphyxiation is one of the most challenging ways to leave this world.)

Perhaps then, you’ll have greater compassion and empathy for those who express concern for the virus.

Or then, again, perhaps you have NO understanding, compassion or empathy.

by Anonymousreply 23May 24, 2020 4:16 PM

[quote] US culture war

What culture war? Can someone even explain what this even means? That fat pig on The View has been spouting the same shit. How is this a culture war?

You're not allowed to go into a store without a shirt, or without shoes. No one had a problem with that. No one bitched that their rights were being taken away from them.

What is the big deal about wearing a mask in a store for a couple of weeks? You're not required to wear it all the time. Just wear it when you go into someplace or are in close proximity with strangers. What is so hard about that? How are you being so inconvenienced?

Besides, there have always been people who have worn masks when they're sick because they don't want to get anyone else sick. This is not anything new.

by Anonymousreply 24May 24, 2020 4:16 PM

R18 is a smelly troll.

by Anonymousreply 25May 24, 2020 4:17 PM

Daily reminder that the masks don't serve any actual medical purpose. They're an empty social gesture.

by Anonymousreply 26May 24, 2020 4:24 PM

Nothing else need be said

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 24, 2020 4:24 PM

R26, you're an empty social gesture. Daily reminder: the masks aren't worn to protect the wearer as much as to protect others.

R26 is also a selfish cunt.

by Anonymousreply 28May 24, 2020 4:27 PM

R27 Now THAT'S what they're talking about when they say Culture War. Wearing a mask in public signals you're part of the gun control, trans rights, open borders coalition. Main reason Trumpers won't wear them, they signal submission to the other side.

by Anonymousreply 29May 24, 2020 4:28 PM

White House coronavirus task force coordinator Deborah Birx said on ABC’s “This Week” Sunday that social distancing is “absolutely critical,” and that if Americans can’t maintain at least six feet from other people while gathering outside, they “must wear a mask.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 24, 2020 4:30 PM

R26 pour yourself another shot of vodka, Boris.

by Anonymousreply 31May 24, 2020 4:32 PM

Look at me! I'M a good person!

How many pussy hats do you think I've crocheted?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 24, 2020 4:36 PM

Look at US! We're fighting for our rights as Muricans!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 24, 2020 4:38 PM

I get to pretend to care about others, while tooting my own horn at max volume! So empowering!

I'll get the nasty little people below me in line! I'll show them who's the boss of them!

Also, something something Covid something. We're all in this together ❤

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 24, 2020 4:50 PM

I get to I get to pretend I have a big dick by how belligerent I act, while tooting my own horn at max volume! So empowering!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 24, 2020 4:53 PM

My family isn’t even using the masks properly. I think that’s the truth for most Americans using masks. Might as well not wear any mask if you’re doing it wrong and exposing yourself.

by Anonymousreply 36May 24, 2020 4:56 PM

Yes, there's a culture war but I can't wrap my head around the fact that these people are not putting self preservation first.

by Anonymousreply 37May 24, 2020 5:04 PM

I know you're all assholes and you hate me, but this is really fun.

"I #resist #notmypresident by wearing a homemade broadcloth face mask in public. I'm basically Wonder Woman.

It's not about being helpful, it's about feeling like a helpful person (unlike the selfish people who won't play along!)"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 24, 2020 5:06 PM

R37 The idea of the masks is supposed to be that if you're sick and cough or sneeze, it reduces the exposure of the people around you to droplets of spit that carry Covid-19.

by Anonymousreply 39May 24, 2020 5:08 PM

This is what we get for allowing people to think that creationism is just as good as evolution or that "not everyone agrees" about climate change.

You get millions of people who don't seem to know what science even is. Mask wearing is "hysteria," it's just a "social gesture." What planet are you on?

by Anonymousreply 40May 24, 2020 5:15 PM

Americans are incompetent.

by Anonymousreply 41May 24, 2020 5:18 PM

I'm in the real world, where scientists aren't priests. Before this current wave of pointless political posturing, these same experts were the ones telling us wearing masks was ineffective- lo, those two months ago.

by Anonymousreply 42May 24, 2020 5:18 PM

Even in 1918 they knew to wear masks. That's what you do during a pandemic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 24, 2020 5:19 PM

How ridiculous it is to say it's "pointless" and a "hollow gesture" to wear a protective face covering during a pandemic when there are nearly 100,000 dead.

What a pointless, hollow thing to even argue about.

by Anonymousreply 44May 24, 2020 5:25 PM

If the idiots who refuse to wear masks were the only ones who caught this and died, no one would give a shit.

But these pricks are endangering others.

by Anonymousreply 45May 24, 2020 5:28 PM

R43 "It's the done thing"= social gesture.

by Anonymousreply 46May 24, 2020 5:29 PM

R45 By what mechanism?

by Anonymousreply 47May 24, 2020 5:29 PM

Sure Jan, R46, all those in 1918 were just SJWs who were doing it as a social gesture.

What a fucking moron you are.

by Anonymousreply 48May 24, 2020 5:30 PM

[quote]these same experts were the ones telling us wearing masks was ineffective

They didn't say it was ineffective, they said it may not be necessary.

You know, the thing about science is that it advances. Scientists make progress, they learn more. Things change. If you can't keep up - if your brain is like a rock and can't adapt to new information - just stay home.

by Anonymousreply 49May 24, 2020 5:33 PM

R48 Haha what the fuck. They thought you caught TB from miasma in 1918.

by Anonymousreply 50May 24, 2020 5:34 PM

And they also knew in 1918 that pandemics are contagious, unlike you, idiot R50.

by Anonymousreply 51May 24, 2020 5:36 PM

R49 I've been out working through this whole thing, no choice to stay home even if I had wanted to. Without a mask or gloves through the first month as well.

by Anonymousreply 52May 24, 2020 5:36 PM

R50 The masks don't stop you from catching corona, or spreading it if you're asymptomatic. What do they actually do?

by Anonymousreply 53May 24, 2020 5:38 PM

[quote]in the real world, where scientists aren't priests

Do you do surgery on yourself? Do you tell the pilot that you can fly the plane? Do you write the operating system for your computer? Can you predict the weather a week in advance?

No one thinks scientists are priests, but they have a lot more expertise than you do.

by Anonymousreply 54May 24, 2020 5:39 PM

I’m so happy to see white people fight! The current state of America is what you all deserve. I can’t wait until you all have to go on food stamps and start killing each other in the streets. Talk about role reversal... Maybe I’ll die too, but I’ll die satisfied Knowing that white America has fallen. Me wanting this is WHY I’m voting Trump. To watch you all suffer.

by Anonymousreply 55May 24, 2020 5:40 PM

R53=troll.

How ridiculous it is to say it's "pointless" and a "hollow gesture" to wear a protective face covering during a pandemic when there are nearly 100,000 dead.

by Anonymousreply 56May 24, 2020 5:40 PM

by Anonymousreply 57May 24, 2020 5:40 PM

by Anonymousreply 58May 24, 2020 5:40 PM

And again:

by Anonymousreply 59May 24, 2020 5:40 PM

What do the masks actually do, hun?

Or are you just going to screech into the ether?

by Anonymousreply 60May 24, 2020 5:42 PM

by Anonymousreply 61May 24, 2020 5:42 PM

Ah, you've gone with screeching. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 62May 24, 2020 5:43 PM

by Anonymousreply 63May 24, 2020 5:44 PM

North Dakota is worse than North Korea.

by Anonymousreply 64May 24, 2020 5:44 PM

What can you expect--for them to do the right thing? They did, after all, vote for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 65May 24, 2020 5:46 PM

I don't know why people get their panties in a bunch over wearing a mask. Put the fucking mask on and shut yer hole.

by Anonymousreply 66May 24, 2020 5:47 PM

Just put the germy little shopbottom on ignore, folks. Her neediness and resentment slow down a good many threads.

by Anonymousreply 67May 24, 2020 5:52 PM

R66 Because it's seen as a public sign of submission to the haute bourgeoisie (a.k.a. coastal elites.)

Also the reason the mask wearers screech and meltdown when they aren't obeyed. This argument is not about public health on either side.

by Anonymousreply 68May 24, 2020 5:53 PM

by Anonymousreply 69May 24, 2020 5:54 PM

It's just good manners to wear a mask, like putting your hand over your mouth was when you coughed or sneezed before the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 70May 24, 2020 5:57 PM

R67 hasn't seen a cock in years, not even his own.

by Anonymousreply 71May 24, 2020 5:57 PM

^WW’ed this accidentally. Unfortunately, on the DL site, there is no way to retract this.

[quote] This argument is not about public health on either side.

Hold on there, R69. Are you saying masks have no impact on wider public health?

by Anonymousreply 72May 24, 2020 5:57 PM

Exactly, R70. Manners, etiquette.

by Anonymousreply 73May 24, 2020 5:58 PM

Of course, its mask is a layer of protection, for yourself and others. Anyone with a brain knows that.

by Anonymousreply 74May 24, 2020 5:59 PM

R72 I've insulted and questioned the wisdom of Asia, I guess. Racist!

I was talking about Americans fighting over mask wearing.

by Anonymousreply 75May 24, 2020 6:00 PM

R74 Let the void hear all about it, chant it like a mantra sweetie.

by Anonymousreply 76May 24, 2020 6:11 PM

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine told NBC’s Chuck Todd that the ongoing debate on wearing masks should not be about choosing a political party but about protecting each other.

“This is not about whether you’re liberal or conservative, left or right, republican or democrat. You wear the mask not to protect yourself so much as to protect others,” De Wine said.

by Anonymousreply 77May 24, 2020 6:12 PM

Put R76 on ignore and half the thread disappears.

That's a textbook definition of a troll.

by Anonymousreply 78May 24, 2020 6:14 PM

Don't feed the trolls. Put them on ignore. Then they're trolling in a void.

by Anonymousreply 79May 24, 2020 6:17 PM

R76 is on ignore. As R78 says, half the thread disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 80May 24, 2020 6:21 PM

See how quickly trolls shut up when they know you're not listening?

by Anonymousreply 81May 24, 2020 6:23 PM

Sorry, I was googling pictures of Sophia Bush in her "This was preventable" mask. #resist

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82May 24, 2020 6:26 PM

Did someone just say something?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 83May 24, 2020 6:27 PM

R83 Take a look honey, a little peek 😘 I know you fucking will. You have nothing else to do today.

by Anonymousreply 84May 24, 2020 6:29 PM

How stupid is America. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 85May 24, 2020 6:32 PM

Right, R85? Breathtaking, isn't it? Most Americans are too stupid to live, yet so fucking entitled.

by Anonymousreply 86May 24, 2020 6:34 PM

How refreshing not to be trolled. I can see that he is still posting: "new reply" pops up, but then no new reply is shown and I know it is the troll trolling in a void. Ha ha, troll and die in a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 87May 24, 2020 6:34 PM

Exactly, R87--delightful, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 88May 24, 2020 6:37 PM

R85 Why are you choosing to spend your time with us?

by Anonymousreply 89May 24, 2020 6:38 PM

R87 Talking to himself again. Wouldn't want to be in the same zipcode as his casket breath, personally. I weep for all the animals that have died in his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 90May 24, 2020 6:40 PM

The troll is still at it, but he's invisible to me, ha ha.

by Anonymousreply 91May 24, 2020 6:41 PM

100% chance R91 thinks about getting ridden by Daddy Trump while masturbating.

"Oh I hate you, Daddy, I hate you I hate you oohhhughhhh...."

by Anonymousreply 92May 24, 2020 6:45 PM

[quote] Put the fucking mask on and shut yer hole.

Now what a minute. Wait just a minute. I may wear a mask, but I’ll shut my hole when I’m dead and buried. Until then, she’s wide open.

(Well, maybe not wide. Maybe I shouldn’t have said that word specifically. You get the idea.)

by Anonymousreply 93May 24, 2020 10:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!