Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Looking for entertaining 1940-60s schlocky films to watch

I think I need to take a break from all the "thinking man’s" films I usually watch. For some reason I got hooked on creature features and Italian peplums from that era a few days ago. I'm really not well familiar with those sort of older B-movies so I'm looking for some titles to add to my watchlist. The campier and schlockier, the better. Overheated melodramas are fine too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128June 7, 2020 3:14 AM

I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE (1958).

Hot Tom Tryon seems to have become an alien who won't have sex with his wife, and instead prefers wandering around the woods looking for other husbands like himself!

by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2020 1:00 AM

Anything with Betty Hutton in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 24, 2020 1:08 AM

Carnival of Souls (1962)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 24, 2020 1:10 AM

Is that Marilyn, OP?

by Anonymousreply 4May 24, 2020 1:13 AM

Them! (1954). Two words: Giant Ants

by Anonymousreply 5May 24, 2020 1:21 AM

It Conquered the World!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 24, 2020 1:26 AM

Abbott & Costello Go to Mars is one of the nuttier movies ever made

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 24, 2020 1:27 AM

George Hamilton and Suzanne Pleshette in The Power. No creatures but plenty of overheated melodrama.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 24, 2020 1:32 AM

"Seconds", starring DL fave Miss Rock Hudson, will scare the green beans out of you, OP. It's brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 9May 24, 2020 1:38 AM

Creature from the Haunted Sea - 1961. Stars Beach Dickerson (Scotty Bowers' fuckbuddy). He did a bunch of these things. Just google his name.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 24, 2020 1:41 AM

STRAIT-JACKET, starring Joan Crawford as an ex-con axe murderer. After she’s released from prison, the murders start again...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 24, 2020 1:42 AM

From Hell it Came - the cheesiest monster movie ever

Macabre - a fun William Castle movie

Mr. Sardonicus - another William Castle movie. The lead character has served as an inspiration for plastic surgery victims everywhere

by Anonymousreply 12May 24, 2020 1:45 AM

I Saw What You Did - 1965. Crawford was more of a drunken bystander in this movie. It still gave me nightmares when I saw it.

"The call is coming from inside the house."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 24, 2020 1:49 AM

Dementia 13, hokey, but , atmospheric & watchable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 24, 2020 1:50 AM

One of the worst has to be the one where a scientist saves his fiancee's head after she is in a car accident. He then trolls strip joints to find a body to put the head on. I think it was called "The Brain That Wouldn't Die", or something like that. Hilariously bad, but the lead Jason Evers (billed as Herb Evers) is hot.

Also, "I Was A Teenage Werewolf" with Michael Landon.

by Anonymousreply 15May 24, 2020 1:57 AM

Attack of the 50 Foot Woman 1958. It' a favorite. It helps if you have a pretty good sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 16May 24, 2020 1:57 AM

Agree with r13. I Saw What You Did is a hoot!

by Anonymousreply 17May 24, 2020 2:19 AM

Hammer films are a good bet. I like Paranoiac, The Snorkel, Stop Me Before I Kill, Maniac, Cash on Demand. There's also all the Mummy/Dracula/Werewolf films they did

by Anonymousreply 18May 24, 2020 2:24 AM

Wicked Woman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 24, 2020 2:25 AM

Pickup

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 24, 2020 2:44 AM

I’m always mining movie archives for this kind of stuff.

I recently watched IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE!

ALIEN screenwriter Dan O’Bannon cited it as a direct inspiration for 1979’s ALIEN. You’ll notice it has pretty much the same plot elements:. A crew aboard a starship gets boarded by an alien who hides in the air ducts and starts eating them.They eventually fight the alien with flamethrowers and the airlock.

It’s rather amusing to watch people aboard a space ship use bullets, grenades and rocket launchers to fight an alien, which apparently isn’t the only indestructible thing!

Fans of ALIEN will love spotting the similarities.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 24, 2020 3:48 AM

After that, you can watch the major influence for James Cameron’s ALIENS called THEM! to spot all the similarities.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 24, 2020 3:50 AM

THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON is actually a good movie with interesting themes if you can get past the silly rubber suit.

It makes a great double feature with THE SHAPE OF WATER, which could be viewed as a direct sequel to the first film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 24, 2020 3:54 AM

One of Edward D. Wood, Jr.'s disasterpieces, the docudrama GLEN OR GLENDA (1953) has some campy and bizarre moments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 24, 2020 4:00 AM

Ed Wood's most famous disasterpiece, PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE (1957) was voted "the worst film ever made" in the Golden Turkey Awards book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 24, 2020 4:03 AM

Look for old Roger Corman movies like “House of Usher” and “Masque of the Red Death”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 24, 2020 4:53 AM

"Leech Woman" (1960) from Universal is one of my FAVORITES!

It's actually pretty good, lots of crappy stock footage inserted very obviously, bu it all works! Critics carp that every character is rotten and technically there's no hero to root for, but I myself root for...... the LEECH WOMAN!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 24, 2020 4:53 AM

I don’t think CARNIVAL OF SOULS is schlocky at all. It’s one of the best horror flicks ever.

But it was based on a pre-existing urban legend and THE TWILIGHT ZONE did it first.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 24, 2020 4:54 AM

Mr. Sardonicus 1961

The Mephisto Waltz 1971

Someone said The Power, I agree. It was great.

by Anonymousreply 29May 24, 2020 5:55 AM

‘Carnival of Souls’ has received a Criterion Collection release, so it’s not schlocky. I first saw it in the 90s, late at night on TV. It struck me more as an ‘existentialist’ art-movie, than a typical horror movie.

by Anonymousreply 30May 24, 2020 8:40 AM

"Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!", along with all of Russ Meyer's exploitation films.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 24, 2020 8:46 AM

The Czechoslovak film Daisies (Sedmikrásky) from 1966 is delightful and weird. One of my favorites, it has a Criterion release.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 24, 2020 8:50 AM

These are all funny movies, but most aren't in the top 10 worst ever made. Here are a few that usually make the list:

The Beast With a Million Eyes (1955)

The Beast of Yucca Flats (1961)

Manos the Hands of Fate (1966)

The Creeping Terror (1964)

Eegah (1962)

by Anonymousreply 33May 24, 2020 8:54 AM

The Ghost in the Wild Bikini and any of those Beach films. All schlock but some hot guys in swimsuits.

by Anonymousreply 34May 24, 2020 9:00 AM

OP you should also look up Giallo, i.e. Italian thriller-horror movies of the B-variety from the 60s and 70s. Some of my favorites:

- The Bird with the Crystal Plumage

- Blood and Black Lace

- All the Colors of the Dark

- Don't Torture a Duckling

-The Case of the Scorpion's Tail

- The Perfume of the Lady in Black

- The Black Belly of the Tarantula

- Torso

- Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key

- The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh

- Four Flies on Grey Velvet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 24, 2020 9:05 AM

The Italian sword and sandal films made on cheap cinecitta backlots. Glistening pecs, muscular legs in little skirts, what’s not to like? Steve Reeves was stunning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 24, 2020 10:09 AM

“The Wasp Woman”, directed by Roger Corman and starring Susan Cabot, who always features prominently in DL threads about “stars who came to a bad end”.

by Anonymousreply 37May 24, 2020 10:57 AM

Valley of the Gwangi . . .

It's a western AND a monster movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 24, 2020 1:35 PM

I've seen The Creeping Terror! It was in a sort of double bill with a 1940s sex education film. The latter showed a caesarean birth where the cut was made vertically and the rather long wound was stitched with the thread being passed through large coat buttons.

by Anonymousreply 39May 24, 2020 1:44 PM

Little Shop of Horrors - the original, not the remake. Cheap and fun.

Homicidal - A William Castle classic from the 60s

Also, the Mystery Science Theatre series shows some great shlocky films and their commentary is usually very clever.

by Anonymousreply 40May 24, 2020 2:04 PM

Wasp Woman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 24, 2020 2:16 PM

Great thread!

by Anonymousreply 42May 24, 2020 2:17 PM

There's a funny story in Roger Corman's autobiography How I Made A Hundred Movies In Hollywood And Never Lost A Dime about IT CONQUERED THE WORLD.

Originally the evil creature Corman had the special effects department build for the film was very flat and wide, like a pancake with a hideous face. When Beverly Garland first saw the creature off-set, Corman watched as she looked down at it and jokingly said, "So, you conquered the world eh? Take that!" And raised her foot as if she was going to stomp on it. Corman immediately instructed the department to build another creature, very tall.

by Anonymousreply 43May 24, 2020 2:22 PM

Giallo is not schlock and is not funny. It's very violent. Not what OP asked for at all.

by Anonymousreply 44May 24, 2020 2:23 PM

Tallulah Bankhead as a Jesus-freak!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 24, 2020 2:55 PM

Turn in your gay cards! It's Zsa Zsa in " Queen of Outer Space."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 24, 2020 3:25 PM

Fans of "schlocky 1940-60's" b-movies are quite possibly also fans of the giallo genre. But giallo films are a whole different mood.

by Anonymousreply 47May 24, 2020 3:27 PM

Of course, THE BLOB is a classic from this era.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48May 24, 2020 4:38 PM

So is WAR OF THE WORLDS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49May 24, 2020 4:40 PM

Speaking of early influences on modern hits, you might want to check out EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS.

It was the inspiration for INDEPENDENCE DAY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 24, 2020 4:44 PM

Link is for full movies on YouTube.

You can filter by decade or genre and choose resolution.

Enjoy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 24, 2020 4:45 PM

R44 Plenty of Giallo movies are absolutely ridiculous and camp, I reckon most fans of schlock also watch Giallo for that reason.

by Anonymousreply 52May 24, 2020 4:45 PM

[quote]One of the worst has to be the one where a scientist saves his fiancee's head after she is in a car accident. He then trolls strip joints to find a body to put the head on. I think it was called "The Brain That Wouldn't Die", or something like that.

And, to quote MST3K, the scientist keeps her head in a lasagna pan.

by Anonymousreply 53May 24, 2020 5:01 PM

Wow, Boris Karloff really scraped the bottom of the barrel sometimes ....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 24, 2020 5:02 PM

[quote]Turn in your gay cards! It's Zsa Zsa in " Queen of Outer Space."

Worth noting is that Zsa Zsa doesn't play the title role. ("I hate dat qveen.") She plays a *scientist.*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 24, 2020 5:07 PM

[quote]Is that Marilyn, OP?

Nah. Just one of the many coarse Marilyn wannabes of the 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 56May 24, 2020 5:10 PM

Let's Kill Uncle

Picture Mommy Dead

by Anonymousreply 57May 24, 2020 5:24 PM

R15 YES!!!! "The brain that wouldn't die" is a CLASSIC!!!

by Anonymousreply 58May 24, 2020 6:06 PM

Jan in a pan!

by Anonymousreply 59May 24, 2020 6:14 PM

Ed Wood directed by Tim Burton. I'm no Johnny Depp fan but he did a good job and Martin Landau as Bella L was great, won an Oscar for it. (Not that Oscars mean much anymore.)

by Anonymousreply 60May 24, 2020 6:16 PM

"Where Where You When there Lights Went Out?"

by Anonymousreply 61May 24, 2020 6:20 PM

Thanks R33 for mentioning Eegah! Crazy bad. Another great Hammer film is "The Brides of Dracula" from 1960.

For campy and schlocky I've been watching the Charlie Chan films. They're problematic, to be sure, but since I read the book about the "real" Charlie Chan I get great enjoyment from them. Mantan Moreland's vaudeville routines are nuggets of showbiz history. His reputation took a beating during the civil rights era. I get why people might find them insufferable in these times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62May 24, 2020 6:45 PM

THE BAD SEED is one of the most entertaining over-the-top movies I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 63May 24, 2020 7:03 PM

R63 The Bad Seed! Oh yes, a great one. And Eileen Heckart's five minutes are worth the entire movie.

by Anonymousreply 64May 24, 2020 7:09 PM

“Queen of Blood” with John Saxon, about a female vampire alien, is creepy, campy, and a good watch. “This Island Earth” is a little too good to be schlock and is definitely worth checking out. “Planet of the Vampires”, which is Italian and incredibly stylish, is a strange, fun film.

by Anonymousreply 65May 24, 2020 7:21 PM

Maybe schlock-adjacent, but Doris Day in MIDNIGHT LACE, where she’s stalked by a murderous creep in the impenetrable London fog, and JULIE where she’s an airline stewardess stalked by a murderous creep and ends up having to land the plane!

by Anonymousreply 66May 24, 2020 7:22 PM

I rented "Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!" at a video store because from looking at the box, I thought it would be schocky and campy and I'm into that. But it turned out to be exciting and great fun to watch. Later I realized it has a cult following. My friend even ordered an autographed copy directly from Russ Meyer himself, some years ago, who autographed it and mailed it to him. Didn't John Waters state on an Oscars telecast that it was his favorite film?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67May 24, 2020 7:41 PM

“First I’m gonna a-wash-ah you, Then I’m gonna a-spinna you dry!”

by Anonymousreply 68May 24, 2020 7:49 PM

Always and forever: PSYCHO (1960).

Hitchcock would NOT be outdone by the likes of Roger Corman and William Castle! He beat them at their own game.

by Anonymousreply 69May 24, 2020 8:38 PM

Agree with Midnight Lace and Julie. Campy fun.

by Anonymousreply 70May 24, 2020 9:20 PM

The Mad Room - with Shelley Winters and Stella Stevens

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71May 25, 2020 12:42 AM

This thread reminds me of the famous Gahan Wilson's Movie Plot Generator flow chart...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72May 25, 2020 6:08 AM

^^^Here's a close-up...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73May 25, 2020 6:25 AM

Thanks for all the recommendations guys; haven't seen or even heard of most of the films mentioned above yet. I decided to start with top-tier schlock first because I'm afraid I'll be turned off by the genre if I start watching the ones with the worst reputation right away. I watched "I Married a Monster from Outer Space", "Creature from the Black Lagoon" (thanks to the posters above for mentioning these two), "Tarantula", a Steve Reeves peplum "The Last Days of Pompeii" and "Invaders from Space" this last weekend. The last one sucked but the rest were all awesome, especially the first one; Tom Tryon was a delightfully atrocious actor but his woodiness worked perfectly for the part. And with good looks and biceps like those his acting couldn't possibly matter less.

But there aren't really that many B-movies that are supposed to be genuinely good around so I'll have to dig into the campfests mentioned in this thread sooner or later. I'm both looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 74May 25, 2020 11:28 AM

Thanks to this thread I watched PICKUP (1951) last night. I loved it! I'd seen Beverly Michaels in WICKED WOMAN, recently for the first time actually, and liked that a lot too. So this was an interesting treat.

What an interesting little film. Sometimes the low-rent noirs are the most interesting. The plot in PICKUP was exceptional. Halfway through the film I was wondering why things were happening, then I saw why. It's was a clever plot device I could see Hitchcock having fun with in a story.

I'm a life-long cult film buff so I always think Ive seen everything. On these kinds of threads on DL, which I always love, I always spot a handful of films I've never heard of that turn out to be treasures.

Tonight I'm going to watch THE POWER.

by Anonymousreply 75May 25, 2020 1:07 PM

Burn, Witch, Burn

by Anonymousreply 76May 25, 2020 2:07 PM

[quote] It Conquered the World!

More like, “It Briefly Occupied a Cave”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77May 25, 2020 2:14 PM

If you liked Pickup you might like some other Hugo Haas films

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78May 25, 2020 4:45 PM

PSYCHO is not schlocky, r69. None of Hitchchock's films are, with the possible exception of THE BIRDS.

Hitchcock was a sensible, realistic filmmaker. PSYCHO is one of the best horror films ever made and it holds up today.

It was based on a real serial killer and events like PSYCHO's happen in real life.

by Anonymousreply 79May 25, 2020 5:10 PM

WAR OF THE WORLDS is an enduring, sci-fi and horror classic that's considered "good," r74. It's just that the 1953 effects that look schlocky today. WORLDS has stood the test of time, from its inception as a 19th century novel, to the Orson Welles radio show panic of 1938, to the 1953 movie, to TV versions and the great Spielberg/Tom Cruise version.

So it will hold your interest and you'll familiarize yourself with a classic.

FORBIDDEN PLANET and THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL are also classics considered good stories for the genre but schlocky effects.

Bear in mind, however, that "schlocky" means campy and funny to most people; we thought that's what you wanted!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80May 25, 2020 5:22 PM

Anything with Vincent Price after 1950. Try the Tingler.

by Anonymousreply 81May 25, 2020 5:37 PM

"The Tingler is loose in this theater!"

by Anonymousreply 82May 25, 2020 5:42 PM

If you like both Italian peplum and '50s creature features, just watch when both worlds collide!

PERSEUS THE INVINCIBLE stars the hunky Richard Harrison and a Medusa monster that looks more WAR OF THE WORLDS than any description of Medusa from the ancient world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83May 25, 2020 6:11 PM

Here's a free link to the entire movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84May 25, 2020 6:11 PM

You'll also get a double dose of colliding schlock in MOLE MEN AGAINST THE SON OF HERCULES, starring the glorious muscles of Mark Forest and Paul Wynter.

Free movie @ linK:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85May 25, 2020 6:15 PM

Well you can go back to the 30s and of course there is Freaks from the staid classy glamourous MGM. Louis B Mayer loathed the film. But for some reason he kept Tod Browning on and the director gave him The Devil Doll with Lionel Barrymore and Maureen Sullivan. A very bizarre strange which you would not expect to see with these stars or from this studio.

by Anonymousreply 86May 25, 2020 6:17 PM

More schlocky films from the 30s definitely worth watching. Zoo in Budapest with Gene Raymond who plays an animal rights activist who works at the zoo, steals fur stoles from women and finds orphan Loretta Young hiding there. They strike up a romance and for some reason the film turns into an adventure movie with escaped animals. A lot of fun with some very beautiful photography.

Then there is Madame Satan from DeMille which is a dull backstager with DL fave Lillian Roth until they decide to hold a party in a zeppelin at which point it turns into Die Fledermaus which features a production number about electricity until there is a storm and then it turns into a comedy disaster movie.

The '53 War of the Worlds is not schlock as somebody pointed out.

by Anonymousreply 87May 25, 2020 6:38 PM

1983 - so 20 years after the 60s. Wicked Stepmother. Bette Davis’s last film. Total trash but Bette is in character; smoking, with the signature speech inflection. She had disagreements with the director and walked off the production, so her character morphed into a black cat! TCM ran it probably 20 years ago and I recorded it onto disk so I’ve a copy. I’ve not seen it on broadcast cable since.

by Anonymousreply 88May 25, 2020 6:54 PM

Did anyone mention THE example of this genre yet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89May 25, 2020 7:07 PM

Hitchcock made the ridiculously bad "Torn Curtain", cliche-ridden and poorly shot on the Universal backlot, schlock but not bad enough to b e camp.

by Anonymousreply 90May 25, 2020 8:01 PM

Lady in a Cage (1964) with DL fave Livvie de Havilland (age 103)...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91May 25, 2020 8:13 PM

Jack the Giant Killer and The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, both starring hot GAY actor Kerwin Mathews

by Anonymousreply 92May 25, 2020 8:19 PM

These kinds of film genres are endless, which I love. Also as newer generations come along there's a whole new appreciation for them. You start discovering strange small films that don't seem popular but really stand out (then often watch them grow in popularity again as they get rediscovered again and again).

One like this for me was I BURY THE LIVING (1958, dir: Albert Band, starring Richard Boone). Spooky and surreal. Like a really good low-budget Twilight Zone episode...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93May 25, 2020 9:17 PM

r86 through r89 clearly didn't read the thread.

by Anonymousreply 94May 25, 2020 9:26 PM

The "Grande Dame Guignol" movies from the 60s like Baby Jane, Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte, and Lady in a Cage are fun

by Anonymousreply 95May 25, 2020 11:01 PM

The Mugger from 1958, featuring a young George Maharis

by Anonymousreply 96May 25, 2020 11:03 PM

Parrish, a Troy Donahue campfest from the 60s

Susan Slade, starring Miss Connie Francis

by Anonymousreply 97May 25, 2020 11:07 PM

Any film featuring Ray Harryhausen special effects. Here's a compilation of every Ray Harryhausen animated creature in feature films, presented in chronological order...

Mighty Joe Young - Mighty Joe Young (1949)

Rhedosaur - The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953)

It (giant octopus) - It Came from Beneath the Sea (1955)

Brontosaur - The Animal World (1956)

Allosaur - The Animal World (1956)

Brontosaur Hatchling - The Animal World (1956)

Stegosaur - The Animal World (1956)

Sceraptosaur - The Animal World (1956)

Triceratops - The Animal World (1956)

Tyrannosaur - The Animal World (1956)

Flying Saucers - Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956)

Spaceship - Twenty Million Miles to Earth (1957)

Ymir - Twenty Million Miles to Earth (1957)

Elephant - Twenty Million Miles to Earth (1957)

Cyclops - The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958)

Serpent Woman - The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958)

Roc Hatchling - The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958)

Roc - The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958)

Skeleton - The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958)

Dragon - The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958)

Squirrel - The 3 Worlds of Gulliver (1960)

Crocodile - The 3 Worlds of Gulliver (1960)

Crab - Mysterious Island (1961)

Phororhacos - Mysterious Island (1961)

Cephalopod - Mysterious Island (1961)

Bee - Mysterious Island (1961)

Talos - Jason and the Argonauts (1963)

Harpies - Jason and the Argonauts (1963)

Hydra - Jason and the Argonauts (1963)

Skeletons - Jason and the Argonauts (1963)

Moonship - First Men in the Moon (1964)

Space Sphere - First Men in the Moon (1964)

Moon Cow - First Men in the Moon (1964)

Kate Calendar's Skeleton - First Men in the Moon (1964)

Selenite - First Men in the Moon (1964)

Grand Lunar - First Men in the Moon (1964)

Brontosaur - One Million Years B.C. (1966)

Archelon - One Million Years B.C. (1966)

Allosaur - One Million Years B.C. (1966)

Triceratops - One Million Years B.C. (1966)

Ceratosaur - One Million Years B.C. (1966)

Pterodactyl - One Million Years B.C. (1966)

Rhamphorhynchus - One Million Years B.C. (1966)

Pterodactyl Hatchlings - One Million Years B.C. (1966)

Horse - The Valley of Gwangi (1969)

Eohippus - The Valley of Gwangi (1969)

Pteranodon - The Valley of Gwangi (1969)

Ornithomimus - The Valley of Gwangi (1969)

Gwangi - The Valley of Gwangi (1969)

Styrathosaur - The Valley of Gwangi (1969)

Elephant - The Valley of Gwangi (1969)

Homonicus - The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1974)

Figurehead - The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1974)

Kali - The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1974)

Centaur - The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1974)

Griffin - The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1974)

Ghouls - Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (1977)

Baboon - Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (1977)

Minoton - Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (1977)

Hornet - Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (1977)

Walrus Giganticus - Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (1977)

Troglodyte - Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (1977)

Guardian of the Shrine - Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (1977)

Vulture - Clash of the Titans (1981)

Pegasus - Clash of the Titans (1981)

Calibos - Clash of the Titans (1981)

Bubo - Clash of the Titans (1981)

Dioskilos - Clash of the Titans (1981)

Medusa - Clash of the Titans (1981)

Scorpions - Clash of the Titans (1981)

Kraken - Clash of the Titans (1981)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98May 25, 2020 11:26 PM

It's Miss Kathleen Hughes in It Came From Outer Space, r56.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99May 25, 2020 11:26 PM

Not of This Earth with another Oscar-worthy performance from the gifted Miss Beverly Garland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100May 25, 2020 11:37 PM

City of the Dead AKA Horror Hotel. My favorite horror movie of the 60s. Atmospheric beyond belief, with fantastic production design, score and performances on a shoestring budget.

This print is pristine.

Love it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101May 25, 2020 11:37 PM

Burn, Witch, Burn

by Anonymousreply 102May 25, 2020 11:40 PM

R97. Um...?

by Anonymousreply 103May 25, 2020 11:55 PM

"Susan Slade" (with, yes, Connie Stevens, not Connie Francis, as noted above) and Troy Donahue, is a high-camp hootenanny. John Waters once called it his favorite movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104May 26, 2020 12:06 AM

R55 I hate Dat queen! Did Zsa Zsa mean Merv Griffin!

by Anonymousreply 105May 26, 2020 1:46 AM

Spider-Baby, or, The Maddest Story Ever Told.

by Anonymousreply 106May 26, 2020 1:49 AM

Whatever happened to Baby Jane.

by Anonymousreply 107May 26, 2020 1:56 AM

Ladybug, Ladybug (1963) is a pretty unsettling film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108May 26, 2020 2:27 AM

The burning baby scene in Susan Slade is a classic, but perhaps even worse is "A Summer Place": classic theme music, DL fave Constance Ford has some great lines, there's a Christmas tree scene that John Waters imitated in "Female Trouble" and because Sandra dee and Troy Donahue couldn't act you just need to wait for Max Steiner to do a crescendo to know when they have something important going on. Sandra Dee is often telling Troy Donahue "let's not be bad" (which I guess mean she doesn't want to fuck).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109May 26, 2020 2:49 AM

Three Coins in the Fountain, and the even cheesier Ann-Margret remake The Pleasure Seekers

by Anonymousreply 110May 26, 2020 2:58 AM

There is an old film called "The Queen of Babylon" with Ricardo Montalban and Rhonda Fleming that I used to love as a kid. I haven't seen it since then but I"m sure it's as schlocky as you'd like.

by Anonymousreply 111May 26, 2020 3:03 AM

The Sins of Jezebel with Paulette Goddard is super campy

by Anonymousreply 112May 26, 2020 3:14 AM

Yeah, r98, we can view Harryhausen's oeuvre ourselves at imdb.com.

Twat.

by Anonymousreply 113May 26, 2020 6:18 AM

Now watching Wicked Woman. Very entertaining!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114May 27, 2020 2:47 AM

In case anyone's interested, here's a list of schlocky horror and sci-fi movies that were shown together as double features from 1940s to 70s. I decided to outgay myself and recreate some of these double features in the comfort of my living room this next weekend. And between these movies I'll be playing those cheesy vintage ads they were showing in between double features in drive-ins. Unfortunately I'm too young to have ever experienced a drive-in theatre (and there were never any in my country anyway) so this way I'll at least be getting some taste of the fun moviegoers back then had.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115May 27, 2020 12:00 PM

And here's one of those fun drive-in intermission ads. Youtube's loaded with them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116May 27, 2020 12:01 PM

"Wicked Woman" is great--from the off-key theme song onward, and through the ridiculous plot.

by Anonymousreply 117May 27, 2020 12:43 PM

Robot Monster, filmed at the Bronson Cave in Los Angeles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118May 27, 2020 1:04 PM

Queen of Outer Space (1958), featuring Zsa Zsa Gabor. "Vimmen cannot be happy vidout men!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119May 27, 2020 1:08 PM

Doesn't every town have a novelty drive-in theater, r115?

My city does. I heard drive-ins are making a comeback because of the coronavirus.

by Anonymousreply 120May 27, 2020 9:07 PM

This one has a great reputation in the world of schlock horror. Extremely cheap and laughable hippie-era exploitation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121May 27, 2020 9:14 PM

My family’s Super 8 home movies.

😱

by Anonymousreply 122May 27, 2020 9:16 PM

[quote] The Night of the Hunter is a 1955 American thriller film directed by Charles Laughton, and starring Robert Mitchum, Shelley Winters, and Lillian Gish. The screenplay by James Agee was based on the 1953 novel of the same title by Davis Grubb. The plot focuses on a corrupt minister-turned-serial killer who attempts to charm an unsuspecting widow and steal $10,000 hidden by her executed husband.

The Night of the Hunter. If that's not enough entertainment, I don't know what is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123May 27, 2020 9:19 PM

I just watched The Leech Woman. Wow, what a delicious film: it's like a jungle adventure meets a voodoo horror meets a slasher film meets a Douglas Sirk melodrama. And I loved this monologue by Coleen Gray (which should resonate with the fading beauties of DL):

[quote] For a man, old age has rewards. If he is wise, his gray hairs bring dignity and he is treated with honor and respect. But for the aged woman, there is nothing. At best, she's pitied. More often, her lot is of contempt and neglect. What woman lives who has passed the prime of her life who would not give her remaining years to reclaim even a few moments of joy and happiness and know the worship of men. For the end of life should be its moment of triumph. So it is with the aged women of Nandos. A last flowering of love and beauty before death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124June 6, 2020 11:04 PM

The 1956 Hitchcock film [italic]The Trouble With Harry[/italic] is about as un-Hitchcockian as you can get. It's a sly little comedy. IMDb says, "The trouble with Harry is that he's dead, and everyone seems to have a different idea of what should be done with his body." It stars John Forsythe, Shirley MacLaine, and Jerry Mathers (not as the Beaver). This is one of the most underrated movies of all time. I highly recommend it.

by Anonymousreply 125June 7, 2020 2:00 AM

R125 It's a good movie, but it's definitely not schlocky.

by Anonymousreply 126June 7, 2020 2:03 AM

"The Trouble With Harry" was Shirley MacLaine's movie debut and also featured Jerry Mathers, not as the Beaver.

by Anonymousreply 127June 7, 2020 2:24 AM

Hitchcock sucked when he did straight-up comedies: The Trouble With Harry and Mr. & Mrs. Smith were both terrible movies. His sense of humor worked so much better when it was a bit more subtle and more perverse.

by Anonymousreply 128June 7, 2020 3:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!