Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

If you had your choice, would you rather be tall or short?

I'm six feet tall, but in the gay community, it seems that short guys are more favored.

They're small, compact, and less intimidating.

Tops especially look for small and petite guys, which really sucks.

As a tall guy, you're expected to be a top. I often wonder what it's like to be short/small, and how often you would get hit on by other guys.

by Anonymousreply 79May 30, 2020 3:28 AM

this couldn't be less true. do you know many times I've been mocked for being short by tops? how many said "i want a real man"? one even said 120lbs was "a lady's weight"

by Anonymousreply 1May 23, 2020 9:49 PM

I'm tall as well - 6 feet - and I'm happy with that. Of the guys I've been seriously involved with, only one was significantly shorter. My current partner is one-half inch shorter than I am. It's a good thing I'm happy with my height, because there's not much I can do about it. As well, I've never really sought out a guy on the basis of height.

by Anonymousreply 2May 23, 2020 9:51 PM

I don’t think short guys are favored, but it seems that most gay men don’t really care about height that much, so long as you’re not at either extreme.

It’s very much a concern for straight women.

by Anonymousreply 3May 23, 2020 10:05 PM

I'm 5'4 1/2" and I'd kill to be a foot taller.

by Anonymousreply 4May 23, 2020 10:08 PM

I'm 6ft 3in so I cant hide. and uncomfortable in most chairs, beds, airplane seats, clothes, etc. but have done alright in the hook-up dept. I mostly top

by Anonymousreply 5May 23, 2020 10:11 PM

Taller. Tall people get get many positive things that shorter people don't.

by Anonymousreply 6May 23, 2020 10:21 PM

I've been told that us littl'uns do tend to live longer than the tall Betsies.

by Anonymousreply 7May 23, 2020 10:22 PM

They got little hands. And little eyes.

And they walk around. Tellin' great big lies.

They got little noses. And tiny little teeth.

They wear platform shoes. On their nasty little feet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 23, 2020 10:23 PM

I'm 5'10", which I think is pretty much the national average. Height is probably the ONE thing that I couldn't care less about. I'm perfectly happy being 5'10". I'm tall enough that I can easily reach top shelves, but I'm short enough that I don't bang my head into things and can comfortably fit in small cars.

by Anonymousreply 9May 23, 2020 10:51 PM

Tall or short, ultimately we just want to know about the Tootsie Roll/lollipop.

by Anonymousreply 10May 23, 2020 10:58 PM

OP, you couldn’t post a poll you fat whore?

It’s TWO choices!!

BUT, to answer your question: Tall. Without a doubt. I’m 5’10” also, and I’d love to be taller. Much.

by Anonymousreply 11May 23, 2020 10:59 PM

R5 you "mostly top?"

If you're 6'3", it must have been awkward bottoming for someone who was most likely shorter than you.

by Anonymousreply 12May 23, 2020 10:59 PM

^^^ for 6ft3in I thought I had a small dick but folks tell me its above average.

by Anonymousreply 13May 23, 2020 11:00 PM

6 ft isnt so very tall anymore . have you looked at some of these younguns lately ?

by Anonymousreply 14May 23, 2020 11:05 PM

r9 here again. I'm a Top, but height has never mattered to me regarding bottom partners. I'm equally attracted to both. To me, being a good bottom (or Top) is more of an attitudinal thing than physical.

by Anonymousreply 15May 23, 2020 11:10 PM

I'm 5'9" and I'd like to be a little taller. Maybe 5'11 or 6'.

I'd love to be able to pee in my bathroom sink without standing on my tip toes. Can you really tall guys see over urinal dividers?

by Anonymousreply 16May 24, 2020 1:25 AM

Sometimes being tall can be a challenge

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 24, 2020 1:31 AM

[quote]I've been told that us littl'uns do tend to live longer than the tall Betsies

I think that's true, if you see people who are 100 years or older it's usually tiny little ladies (and some men too)

[quote]Can you really tall guys see over urinal dividers?

I'm 6'6" and can sometimes see over bathroom stalls!

by Anonymousreply 18May 24, 2020 1:39 AM

R16 Does the angle actually work for tall people and urinal dividers? How tall does a guy have to be generally?

by Anonymousreply 19May 24, 2020 1:48 PM

Short.

Short people live longer, build muscle more quickly, don't hit their heads on shit half as much...

There are many benefits.

by Anonymousreply 20May 24, 2020 2:43 PM

R20, being short is also less taxing on the body.

Tall people actually have to struggle more than short people.

I agree that short people live longer.

by Anonymousreply 21May 24, 2020 2:45 PM

For a long time I felt the same way, tall and muscular so I had to be a top.. cut to about 5 years ago I decided I didn’t give a fuck what people thought and have been fully verse ever since

by Anonymousreply 22May 24, 2020 3:35 PM

[quote]I'd love to be able to pee in my bathroom sink without standing on my tip toes.

Umm…forgive me if I sound obtuse, but why would you WANT to pee in your bathroom sink? Is there something living in the toilet?

by Anonymousreply 23May 24, 2020 7:46 PM

I have a fantasy about being with a guy that’s five inches taller or five inches shorter than myself and taking turns fucking each for a few hours. I’m 5’10”. I’m a man of contrasts.

by Anonymousreply 24May 24, 2020 8:29 PM

I'm also 6'3" and honestly it's a pain in the ass. Sitting in an airplane or going to the theater is a nightmare. I can't imagine what it's like for people like 7 feet tall, I'd kill myself. I suppose it got me attention when I was younger but now I'm 20 years into a ltr and I'd rather just shrink a foot at this point.

by Anonymousreply 25May 24, 2020 8:37 PM

I feel like there's some sort of stigma against shorter guys in the gay community. They might be fun to fuck a few times, but people take them less seriously or something or they don't think of them as masculine or "real men." I've seen some guys pine for truly hideous men simply because they're tall and clearly work out a lot. What is it with gay men and bodies? Don't faces count for anything? You see it a lot on these "fitness models" Instagram pages. They're nothing to write home about, looks wise, but they're tall and/or have nice bodies and that, somehow, cancels out the scary face.

If someone has a face like a jack o'lantern, I don't give a shit if they have a huge dick, a six pack, or are 6'7.

Short guys tend to look more boyish and age better from my personal experience. And they almost always have better, rounder asses. I guess that's why everyone assumes most shorter guys are bottoms. With asses like that, I would hope they'd at least allow a few licks.

by Anonymousreply 26May 24, 2020 8:44 PM

I'm 6'6" and would love to be with someone my height or taller.

by Anonymousreply 27May 24, 2020 8:46 PM

Shorter people die of heart attacks more than tall people.

I'm 6' and I was at tea on Fire Island and everyone around me was short and I couldn't hear them.

Also, 6' is normal in northern Europe.

by Anonymousreply 28May 24, 2020 9:01 PM

"Short guys tend to look more boyish and age better from my personal experience. And they almost always have better, rounder asses. I guess that's why everyone assumes most shorter guys are bottoms. With asses like that, I would hope they'd at least allow a few licks."

I can't believe you're a real person.

by Anonymousreply 29May 24, 2020 9:04 PM

R23. I like to pee standing up. Toilets are lower to the floor than urinals or a bathroom sink is. As a result no matter how a man tries there is going to be spray which will end up on the floor. Peeing into a sink which is crotch height results in less spray and keeps the bathroom much cleaner. I wash my hands which rinses the sink and keeps it clean.

In university my dorm room had a sink in it but the toilet was down the hall.

by Anonymousreply 30May 24, 2020 9:20 PM

[quote] They might be fun to fuck a few times, but people take them less seriously or something or they don't think of them as masculine or "real men."

This is probably why tops are more attracted to them.

Which is why (if you're a bottom) you're better off being short.

by Anonymousreply 31May 24, 2020 10:25 PM

I think we always want to be what we arent. Im tall but have always really been physically attracted to significantly shorter guys...........they bulk up way easier...................short and hairless is the ideal. However as I got older short guys look less attractive and they usually have some really major hangups about their heights. Also, I REALLY dont like small hands.

by Anonymousreply 32May 24, 2020 10:43 PM

[quote] Umm…forgive me if I sound obtuse, but why would you WANT to pee in your bathroom sink? Is there something living in the toilet?

His emotional support piranha.

by Anonymousreply 33May 24, 2020 11:01 PM

[quote] or five inches shorter than myself

*eyeroll*

by Anonymousreply 34May 24, 2020 11:01 PM

I'm 6'5 and I'm good with it but sometimes it's a pain in the ass. Flying sucks and it's difficult to find a car I like that I'm actually comfortable driving. Clothing choices are limited and a king size bed is a must.

I was very self-conscious about it when I was in high school. I think I literally grew an entire foot the summer before my junior year. And of course there is always the inevitable, "You must have played basketball." No, no I didn't.

by Anonymousreply 35May 24, 2020 11:03 PM

You can spin a short guy like a top when he’s riding you cowgirl.

by Anonymousreply 36May 24, 2020 11:25 PM

what r28 said... 6’ isn’t that tall, OP.

I would like to be taller.

by Anonymousreply 37May 24, 2020 11:30 PM

Tall. I'm 5'8" and prefer to be 6" taller.

by Anonymousreply 38May 24, 2020 11:40 PM

Thanks for clearing that up, R30. What you say makes perfect sense.

A couple of years ago I had to replace the toilet in my main bathroom. I had always thought that toilets were all pretty much the same, but a friend told me otherwise. I wound up buying a Kohler Cimarron toilet that is several inches taller than conventional toilets. When you sit on it, you don't feel as if you're sitting on the floor. Plus, because it's taller, it's closer to your dick, so you don't feel like you're peeing into the Grand Canyon when you're standing up. I liked my Kohler so much that I bought one for my other bathroom. Anyone who is tall, or who has trouble sitting down and getting up from low toilets, might be surprised what a difference a higher toilet can make.

by Anonymousreply 39May 25, 2020 12:30 AM

[quote]so you don't feel like you're peeing into the Grand Canyon

How many tops have said that to you?

by Anonymousreply 40May 25, 2020 12:41 AM

r40 — Only ones who were fucking me on the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 41May 25, 2020 1:23 AM

[quote] As a result no matter how a man tries there is going to be spray which will end up on the floor. Peeing into a sink which is crotch height results in less spray and keeps the bathroom much cleaner.

Pissing INTO the toilet seems to alleviate this problem.

by Anonymousreply 42May 25, 2020 6:18 AM

I am 6'2" and happy being that tall, though I do agree with the others who say it does suck in certain situations, like traveling. I have long legs, and airplanes are the worst.

by Anonymousreply 43May 25, 2020 7:03 AM

5 ft 8, wouldnt mind being a bit taller, maybe 6 ft 2, but happy as I am since there's fuckall I can do about it

I can curl up in airplane seats or on the floor and sleep, flying really isnt a problem for me

by Anonymousreply 44May 25, 2020 1:47 PM

R42 Regardless if the main stream ends up in the toilet there is always spray too. Do you ever pee naked or in shorts? Often a tiny spray on my legs. Maybe it's just my stream though. I notice my bathroom is much cleaner since I started doing this.

by Anonymousreply 45May 25, 2020 3:59 PM

You must have an incredibly narrow urethra if you're "misting" yourself with your own urine when you take a piss.

by Anonymousreply 46May 25, 2020 8:54 PM

[quote] You must have an incredibly narrow urethra

I do and it’s the reason we only had Bobby.

by Anonymousreply 47May 25, 2020 9:01 PM

I'm 6'1. I'm happy with that, I was hoping for somewhere in the 6' to 6'4 range when growing up.

I think guys my height don't realise how life can suck for short men (for reasons other than sexual). I've been told how short men just get pushed around by other guys, jostled or shoulder charged off steps, talked over or generally ignored - a bit like the way women sometimes complain of being ignored or not having their due. As a tall guy you have a certain natural authority that you don't necessarily notice or know that you have: but short guys certainly notice the absence (it factors into those studies showing tall guys earn more and so on).

by Anonymousreply 48May 26, 2020 12:55 AM

That's interesting, R48.

I'm also six feet tall, and never thought about my height in those terms.

by Anonymousreply 49May 26, 2020 12:59 AM

R48 this is absolutely true, though I find the malformed "Napoleon complex" response that some short men have to it to be repulsive—I know quite a few who have bitter, resentful, and domineering personalities that I think stem from being shorter than their peers their whole lives. It can breed an insecurity/compensation mechanism that is very ugly.

by Anonymousreply 50May 26, 2020 2:11 AM

Tall.

Short.

As long as I ain't no garlic eater or pixie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 26, 2020 2:12 AM

I’m Strictly top and prefer bottoms shorter than me. 5’5 to 5’7 are perfect height for me.

by Anonymousreply 52May 26, 2020 2:15 AM

I’m 5’3 and genuinely think every aspect of my life would be better if I were tall... or even just not really short.

by Anonymousreply 53May 26, 2020 3:25 AM

Height is a distinct advantage for straight guys. Females LOVE tall guys. They are biologically wired to want to procreate with tall guys. Also, they are OK with the aesthetics of a height difference with their partner/spouse.

I don't think it is as much an advantage for a gay guy. Gay men are NOT comfortable with the aesthetics of height difference -- in particular shorter men. In my experience, gay men of average height prefer other men of average height, for partnering and friendship. Some gays actually have height "cut-offs" for a desirable partner.

Otherwise, I do agree with all the comments about height being a social and professional advantage for a man.

by Anonymousreply 54May 26, 2020 5:02 AM

6'1" and top only. I have no complaints with my own height and have not heard any from men that I have had sex with. I have topped guys who were as tall as 6'3" and as short as 5'1" or so. I really can't say that I prefer any height more than another; I just love to fuck guys period.

by Anonymousreply 55May 26, 2020 5:17 AM

I never gave my height a second thought until I started dating and hooking up and was surprised to learn that, at 5'8, I was considered super short to a lot of guys. Height has never been a dealmaker or breaker for me, so I couldn't understand why it was for so many other people, especially if it was just a hookup. Once you're in bed, you might as well be the same height anyway.

I fell madly in love with a guy who was 6'3 or 6'4 and I often wonder if it never went further because, in his mind, we might have looked ridiculous together in public. I'm sure there many other reasons it ended, but this guy could be a bit superficial, so I wouldn't put it past him.

by Anonymousreply 56May 26, 2020 6:07 PM

At 6'8" I can admit there are distinct societal advantages to being a tall man. Men and women both automatically respect me and I am often looked at as the default leader in group situations. That said, 6'4" is the ideal male height, you're still tall but have less issues than someone above that height. Anything above 6'4" is considered "Freakishly Tall" and comes with a number of additional issues most people never think about. As far as gay guys go, I think most have a problem dating someone significantly taller than them. Women love it, guys not so much. I think their masculinity is challenged somehow. It's silly but true. Also, no matter how big your dick is, proportionally, it's going to look smaller than it actually is. Frustrating!

by Anonymousreply 57May 26, 2020 8:13 PM

I'm 6' 2" and glad to be tall. When I was in my sophomore year of H.S. I was 5"9" - by the end of the Summer I had grown 5" and entered my Junior year at my new height. Needless to say many were amazed/surprised as was my grandmother who had to buy all new slacks (Farah) for me to replace the high waters that I had grown out of.

I feel that being tall has it's advantages - I can reach higher on the store shelves (to help others) and since I like tall guys it's a good fit for me. The only drawback is when I get into/out of my car (midsize) or truck (full size) - I must tilt the steering wheel up and/or lower the seat for my legs to comfortably clear the wheel.

by Anonymousreply 58May 26, 2020 9:05 PM

I never realized that there were so many tall guys on Datalounge.

And I'm sorry R57, but 6'8 is too freakishly tall.

I'm sad to say that most people are not in "awe" of you. They're afraid of you.

by Anonymousreply 59May 26, 2020 9:28 PM

[quote] I feel that being tall has it's advantages

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 60May 26, 2020 10:51 PM

R59 Ouch! I have good energy and get along with everyone, I highly doubt people are scared of me after meeting, maybe before, but that is their problem.

by Anonymousreply 61May 27, 2020 12:33 AM

R59 is 5'2"

He is not the only gay guy who is made uncomfortable by tall men. R57, you are correct that height is threatening to other men. That is a reason that taller guys are not as commanding in gay culture. It takes me back to freshmen year when a shot up from 5 '8" to 6'2" in about a year. All my boy-height friends would make fun of me but even then I knew it was envy. I have always been happy to be tall -- even though some men reject me because of it I wouldn't trade it away. It has definitely helped in my professional life.

by Anonymousreply 62May 27, 2020 2:33 AM

....For all the short people......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 27, 2020 3:01 AM

I am Fiveee Nineee. That is tall/short enough for me

by Anonymousreply 64May 27, 2020 3:12 AM

[quote] freshmen year when a shot up from 5 '8" to 6'2"

Damn.

Much like Matt Ramsey, that’s a helluva spurt.

by Anonymousreply 65May 27, 2020 1:03 PM

6 feet tall seems like average "man height" for me. I consider 5'9 or less to be short.

by Anonymousreply 66May 27, 2020 2:20 PM

I’m 6’2 and am happy with my height. Tall people seem to get noticed more.

by Anonymousreply 67May 27, 2020 2:56 PM

I'm 6ft dead on, and I've never wanted to be taller, I'm fine with my height as-is but if anything I would go shorter, probably minimum of 5'9.

Reason being, it's a lot easier for shorter guys to look more built with the same amount of muscle mass as taller guys, and I would rather look as built as possible than tall. Plus it would make my dick look even bigger.

I've only ever dated one man who was taller than me, and I didn't find it intimidating/emasculating at all, admittedly this is a situation of a tall man with a taller man rather than a short man with a tall man, but it wasn't a factor.

Ideally a partner should be within a couple of inches of your own height though I think - it's just better practically and it looks more 'right' when standing together. A big discrepancy just looks weird, daddy/son.

by Anonymousreply 68May 27, 2020 3:03 PM

I'm average at 5'11", which is boring. I think either 5'7" or 6'2" would be more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 69May 27, 2020 3:05 PM

I'm 5'4", but I've never been self-conscious about it. I only ever really think about how short I am, when I see another guy and think "wow, he's little! Check him out!" And then I think "You idiot. You're no taller than he is!"

I'm particularly attracted to men my height, or shorter; or men that are over 6'5". Based solely on height, these are ideals for me, but not necessary. I've not been with an extremely tall guy yet, but I have been with a dwarf (who became a good friend thereafter), and I'd do that again in a heartbeat...but that has more to do with who he is as a person, and less to do with his stature. It WAS cool to be the taller one for once...and it's still my favorite sexual encounter I've ever had.

And I've never wanted to change my height, but if I had to choose, I'd be okay with 4'11", or 6'8". Specifically where height is concerned: that middle ground doesn't excite me. But if I like a guy, it doesn't matter how short or tall he is.

by Anonymousreply 70May 27, 2020 3:16 PM

R70, you sound like a real catch. You really do.

Sigh. In anther life, perhaps, alas not this one.

by Anonymousreply 71May 27, 2020 6:22 PM

I get to be both. I'm 5'10" and live between the Netherlands and Spain. Short in NL is tall in ES.

by Anonymousreply 72May 27, 2020 6:25 PM

I'm 6'2". I hate it. I'd pick shorter. Yes, a lot of has to do with sex. My partner is three inches shorter and is the top most of the time. It's just awkward sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 73May 27, 2020 7:06 PM

[quote] I'm 6'2". I hate it. I'd pick shorter. Yes, a lot of has to do with sex. My partner is three inches shorter and is the top most of the time. It's just awkward sometimes.

Why? Just open up and throw those long legs into the air, Missy.

by Anonymousreply 74May 29, 2020 7:32 PM

I dated a guy who was 6'9". We chatted online and told me a few times he was tall, was that a problem etc and how most guys were freaked out by it. Personally I loved it. He was super affectionate, loved to kiss and cuddle and was probably the most passionate fuck I have ever had. And yes, the dick matched the stature.lol. I am 5'10" so it was just shy of a foot difference.

by Anonymousreply 75May 29, 2020 9:57 PM

I'm about 5' 9", and I've never wanted to be any taller. My BF is only about 5' 7", and he's perfection to me. We both have shapely, perky asses.

by Anonymousreply 76May 30, 2020 1:43 AM

Age and height play a big role on where I stand in the bedroom. When I'm shorter/younger, I bottom. When I'm older/taller, I top. Any other combo, I'm generally not interested. LOL

To answer the question, though, I wish I were shorter than I am. Like WAY shorter. I'd love to know how it feels to be tossed around the bed.

by Anonymousreply 77May 30, 2020 1:59 AM

I'm 6'1". I think it would be cool to be 7'. Happy with what I have, but if there was a choice given, I'd go 7' plus.

by Anonymousreply 78May 30, 2020 2:35 AM

The most tragic thing is a very tall man with a very small penis.

by Anonymousreply 79May 30, 2020 3:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!