Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The icon, legendary Leslie Cheung. Why did he kill himself?

I have always love and idolized Leslie Cheung. Still wondering why he had to kill himself in 2003 at the age of 46.

Still miss him after so many years

“ In 2010, he was voted the third "Most Iconic Musicians of All Time" (after Michael Jackson and The Beatles) by CNN with more than 100,000 people casting their votes.[18] CNN considered Cheung as the "Most Beautiful Man from Hong Kong Cinema" and one of "Asia's 25 Greatest Actors of All Time".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 27, 2020 6:34 PM

Wasn't he deep in the closet?

by Anonymousreply 1May 23, 2020 6:06 PM

He was HIV+ and his close friends kept dying off prematurely. Another close friend, Anita Mui, was also critically ill at the time he killed himself. Just tragic and heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 2May 23, 2020 6:40 PM

R1, he referred to himself as bisexual and apparently had a long term relationship with another man for the last 20 years of his life. He sounded surprisingly matter of fact about it.

by Anonymousreply 3May 23, 2020 6:48 PM

He was certainly beautiful. Loved his performances in both Happy Together and Farewell My Concubine. Oh, and gorgeous in The Bride With White Hair, with another one of my favorites, Brigitte Lin. Reminds me that I never got around to seeing Wong Kar-wai's Ashes of Time. It was a very sad death.

by Anonymousreply 4May 23, 2020 6:55 PM

Isn't it obvious why? "No Fats. No Fems. No Asians."

by Anonymousreply 5May 23, 2020 7:02 PM

He wasn't closeted, especially by HK standards. He was in a long term relationship with a Daffy Tong and he basically took up the spouse role in Cheung's funera/memoriall. His name was listed first in the obituary, ahead of Leslie's blood relatives, in the family sections. During the memorial, Tong was acknowledged as Cheung's partner/spouse. That's not closeted.

Leslie was pretty open by the late 90's. My mom saw him in concert and he performed part of it in drag.

Why did he kill himself? In his note, he said depression.

I wasn't a fan of his music but he was a terrific actor. The guy aged pretty well too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 23, 2020 7:41 PM

More on Cheung, his coming out and relationship with Tong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 23, 2020 7:48 PM

R2 is it true or you were just bullshitting, seriously?

by Anonymousreply 8May 23, 2020 7:50 PM

R8, Anita Mui died of cervical cancer 8 months after Leslie, bu the HIV part is speculation. I don't follow HK gossip so I can't say how seriously it should be taken, but it's never been confirmed.

by Anonymousreply 9May 23, 2020 7:57 PM

R2 stop spreading fake news.

He was a handsome man and one of the most talented actors of all time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 23, 2020 8:03 PM

Chances that Cheung has schizophrenia were quite slim. His illness strived more towards major depression. However, he does show symptoms of schizophrenia. Anyway, schizophrenia is a major illness that affects 1 in 100 people. The symptoms include: disturbances in thinking, delusions, and hallucinations. Furthermore, problems with feelings, behaviors, motivation, and speech seem most common. The exact cause is not known but appears to have something to do with the balance of chemicals in the brain. Stresses make the symptoms worse and trigger the illness. Chances of developing schizophrenia are greater if you have close relatives who have schizophrenia. People may recover completely from schizophrenia while others will have symptoms occurring from time to time or which are present all the time. Relapses can definitely be prevented and life difficulties can be overcome. Unfortunately, Leslie Cheung never overcame his life difficulties. We may never know if he had schizophrenia or not. Another theory is that Cheung was broken hearted from a break-up with his long-time partner, known only as Mr. Tong. Leslie Cheung referred to himself was bisexual. You see, many of these signs are warning signs of suicide. Many suicide and depression symptoms were present. Some suicide warning signs were depression, eating disorder (started to lose weight), withdrawal, change of routine, seeking psychiatric help, and wrapping up unfinished businesses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 23, 2020 8:24 PM

Leslie Cheung suffered from dysthymia or chronic depression. During the last year or so, he developed melancholia or major depression. Depression is not something one can wish away with will power. It is a neurological disorder that often can be treated successfully with therapy and drugs. The treatments don’t work in about 10% of cases, especially if they are suffering from chronic and major depression simultaneously. It is also the leading cause of suicide. There are also stigmas to getting treated. Furthermore, there is a belief that depression is “in your head” and not real. Most cases of depression go untreated and undiagnosed. It seems that Leslie was one of the unfortunate 10% that treatment failed. Many other factors also contributed to his depression. Perhaps one of the major factors was that his career was fading, despite the fact that he was famous in Asia. When John Woo and Chow Yun-Fat made the leap to Hollywood, Leslie Cheung also tried to attain a few roles. The only role he was offered was The Master in Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie. Fortunately, he turned it down. Hollywood insiders often describe Leslie Cheung as “too effeminate” for action roles. Over the years he tried getting a few other parts, but he was rejected. By now, he was working steady in Hong Kong. However, in the last couple of years, even landing a respectful film role was difficult for him. Cheung used to be director Wong Kar Wai’s favorite actor and cast him in everything. Now, Tony Leung Chiu-wai is Wong Kar Wais’ favorite actor. Leslie Cheung also lost out roles in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Hero, and several high profile projects. His last film, Inner Sense, also received worldwide trouncing by The Eye. Furthermore, film awards haven’t been very kind to Leslie Cheung. He hasn’t been awarded as often as other famous Hong Kong actors. However, he gets regularly nominated. Perhaps, all of these factors add up to worsen his depression and led to his tragic end. Perhaps his lover really dumped him or evil spirits haunted him. Nobody can know for sure, except Mr. Tong and his psychiatrist. It doesn’t matter what caused him to leap off the Mandarin Hotel. He will be remembered as a versatile actor and a tragic romantic figure that died of a broken heart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 23, 2020 8:24 PM

He was so good looking and talented. He is sorely missed. How can one forget these classic iconic movies:

Farewell My Concubine (1993)

Happy Together (1997)

He’s a Woman, She’s a Man (1994)

Rouge (1988)

Days of Being Wild (1990)

The Phantom Lover (1995)

Inner Senses (2002)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 23, 2020 8:49 PM

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 24, 2020 12:19 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 15May 24, 2020 8:10 PM

I was living in Asia in the late 90s and had a huge crush on both Leslie and Tony.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 24, 2020 8:13 PM

He was such a great actor. It's crazy to think he was having trouble getting roles.

I'll be honest and admit my favorite of his films is A Chinese Ghost Story. It's not deep but it's so much fun.

by Anonymousreply 17May 24, 2020 8:58 PM

Cheung's suicide note (translation):

"Depression! Many thanks to all my friends. Many thanks to Professor Felice Lieh-Mak (麥列菲菲) (Cheung's last psychiatrist). This year has been so tough. I can't stand it anymore. Many thanks to Mr. Tong. Many thanks to my family. Many thanks to Sister Fei (沈殿霞). In my life I have done nothing bad. Why does it have to be like this?"

by Anonymousreply 18May 24, 2020 9:10 PM

I’m amazed by this 1997 performance when he wore red high heels. What a performer!!

“ A pair of red high heels Cheung wore during a performance of his song Red were described as "a top draw" at an exhibit on androgynous fashion in Hong Kong“

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 24, 2020 9:15 PM

Interesting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 22, 2020 3:05 AM

I have no fucking clue who this "super influential" person is. Aside from Happy Together, another borefest sprung off the mind of Wong Kar Wai, I'm clueless. Was this guy really known? You all talk like this was Tom Cruise or something.

On a side note, surprising sober suicide note. Something I'd have written if I were suicidal. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 21June 22, 2020 3:21 AM

Serious question, are you all Asians or just sinophiles?

by Anonymousreply 22June 22, 2020 3:22 AM

Fun fact: Wong Kar Wai didn't tell Tony Leung what his movie Happy Together was about until Leung arrived in Buenos Aires to begin filming, knowing that Leung would have declined the role had he known.

by Anonymousreply 23June 22, 2020 3:31 AM

So much BS in this thread. None of Leslie's close friends were dying prematurely except Anita Mui, who died AFTER him. He was not HIV+ and he did not break up with Mr. Tong. And no, he was not closeted. He was the very first Hong Kong (and Chinese, and probably Asian) star who officially came out (in a Time magazine interview), not to mention he had always been flamboyant on stage and acted in many pathbreaking gay movies.

R21 Leslie Cheung was indeed a superstar in Asia, as big as Tom Cruise in America. Now K-pop is sweeping the world, but back then it was Leslie who swept Korea, among others. Here's one of his English interviews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 22, 2020 10:46 AM

Love Happy Together

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 22, 2020 10:53 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 22, 2020 10:53 AM

[quote]I have no fucking clue who this "super influential" person is.

It's funny to imagine if people behaved in real life like they do online. Imagine someone joining a conversation at a party to announce, "What you're talking about is weird!" and triumphantly walking away.

by Anonymousreply 27June 22, 2020 11:12 AM

R16 They had been intimate in real life. At the 2013 commemorative concert of Leslie Cheung, Tony Leung said that after Leslie'd death, he left a voice message, the line from Happy Together, for Leslie's phone: “Why don’t we start over from the beginning?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 22, 2020 2:30 PM

One of my favorite songs from Leslie: "I Am What I Am" (English subtitles).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 22, 2020 2:38 PM

I don't know much about his personal life, it was probably a classic mix of depression, dissatisfaction, disillusionment, and pressure of being famous.

Very tragic though. He was an incredibly beautiful man and an amazing actor. I don't know if I can think of a better gay film than Happy Together... it is just sumptuous to look at, incredibly shot. I find myself getting lost in it on a Sunday afternoon at least once a year.

And that's just one of many moving performances he gave through the years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 22, 2020 2:50 PM

[quote] It's funny to imagine if people behaved in real life like they do online. Imagine someone joining a conversation at a party to announce, "What you're talking about is weird!" and triumphantly walking away.

I don't have to, because this isn't a party, its a fucking message board and these rules don't apply. I'm also a cinephile so much so that I had the displeasure of having watched every borefest Wong Kar Wai ever put out, with the exception of 2046 which could be perfect if cut in half, but thats another conversation.

I've never said it was weird, I was just fascinated by all this talk about this Asian star here as if he were some major star in the West. Bruce Lee he wasn't. So that's why I asked if you're all sinophiles (that is those obsessed with Chinese culture, not cinephiles) or just Asians yourselves with all that knowledge of someone who's seemly unheard of otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 31June 22, 2020 2:53 PM

I've always loved this photo of a devil-may-care Leslie holding the hand of his lover Tong, who was apparently concerned if anyone behind could see them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 22, 2020 3:11 PM

Heard you just fine the first time, R31.

by Anonymousreply 33June 22, 2020 6:32 PM

R31 grow the fuck up and get out of your parents’ basement more often

by Anonymousreply 34June 23, 2020 12:52 AM

For those interested, Firelight of a Different Colour is a very interesting book to read about his life

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 23, 2020 5:16 AM

My college roommate was from Hong Kong and introduced me to many Chinese movies.

So is Tony gay too?

by Anonymousreply 36June 23, 2020 5:46 AM

R36 Tony's married to his long-time partner Carina Lau (another dear friend of Leslie), though his sexuality has always been speculated. He's painfully shy and private, a stark contrast to his social butterfly wife. Carina also publicly talks about how she still feels the attraction to other men after marriage. I tend to think that they have an open relationship, and it wouldn't surprise me (or, I believe, most of his fans) if Tony is a latent homosexual. The one closet case that I'm surer about is Zhang Fengyi, who played opposite Leslie in Farewell, My Concubine. Zhang's ex-wife, Lü Liping, is an outright homophobic, largely because of Zhang's sexuality.

And on a side note, Tony is going to be in Marvel's Shang-Chi.

by Anonymousreply 37June 23, 2020 6:48 AM

R37, about 25 years late for Tony to break into Hollywood...but better late than never. I have zero interest in superhero movies or shows, but maybe Tony will get me to pony up some cash.

by Anonymousreply 38June 23, 2020 2:47 PM

Tony Leung is the closest thing I think we have to the real gentlemanly, elegant leading men of the 1940s Hollywood golden age. He exudes class and has such great screen presence, that magical movie star charisma that is missing these days. Not just in the WKW movies but in all his work.

by Anonymousreply 39June 23, 2020 3:59 PM

R37 Haven't there been rumors about Tony and Maggie Cheung as well? Would explain why Carina has such a hate boner for Maggie. Also, Tony's sex scenes in Lust Caution were reportedly (and apparently, given the camera angles) unsimulated, so I think the "openness" of their relationship is largely on Tony's part.

by Anonymousreply 40June 23, 2020 5:20 PM

I have never thought of Tony as a gay man. maybe bi but not gay.

Leslie Cheung is the only gay actor who was so convincing in both straight and gay roles. 80% of his roles were straight and his acting was as straight as it could get. Very very talented actor. No wonder he is considered the number one legend in Asia

by Anonymousreply 41June 23, 2020 10:38 PM

R40 Yes, Tony had some known dates before, including Kitty Lai and Margie Tsang, but the most notorious love triangle, especially the subsequent Carina-Maggie feud, was never substantiated and probably hyped up by the media. Carina later said that she knew about the rumored affair only as much as did the public, and if Tony really like Maggie, she'd be happy to let him go. Besides, Carina has always been this uninhibited, fun-loving, strong-willed woman, sort of a HK Tallulah Bankhead if you will. It's hard to see her as a bunny boiler or hate boner for anyone (She even forgave the triad members who kidnapped and perhaps raped her). There are also rumors about the fun she and her BFF Faye Wong (who was also close to Leslie) had with their boy toys in Beijing and Shanghai, not to mention Carina had been a popular nightclub owner in Shanghai for years.

by Anonymousreply 42June 24, 2020 4:46 AM

His funeral April 2003. The icon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 27, 2020 6:28 PM

All the A+ superstars attended his funeral. It’s so sad to see his partner could barely walked

by Anonymousreply 44June 27, 2020 6:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!