Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Too Close For Comfort's "Monroe gets raped" episode (1985)

Concerning the infamous season 5 episode of TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT "For Every Man There's Two Women," where Monroe (Jim J. Bullock) gets raped by two women in a van and he and Henry (Ted Knight) go confront the women after the fact. One of the "women" is actually a fat man in a dress, but it's never referred to as such. If I remember right. There's lots of discussion beforehand where Monroe admits what happened to Sarah, Jackie and Muriel, and they all have a group-think about rape and consent, complete with jokes and a laugh track.

I used to watch this show as a kid in the 80's but missed this one. Apparently it aired exactly once. I saw it years later online, once, and it was very surreal. The controversial episode is omitted off the official DVDs (go figure). I think in interviews cast from the show still don't like to talk about the episode but I think Bullock has.

The episode used to be online in bits and pieces, but appears to have been yanked. Can anyone find it?

I looked for an old thread on this but couldn't find one. There was a Jim Bullock thread but it wouldn't load for some reason.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 26, 2020 10:44 PM

Another write-up. Many of the links are dead...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 23, 2020 1:58 PM

Old TV Guide listing:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 23, 2020 2:04 PM

Contrary to legend this episode has aired in syndication. I saw it once on TVLand or Retroville, or whatever one of those satellite dish streaming channels with old sitcoms was called, sometime in the 00's.

by Anonymousreply 3May 23, 2020 2:07 PM

They helped themselves...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 23, 2020 2:44 PM

This is the one with the laugh track over the rape, right?

by Anonymousreply 5May 23, 2020 2:47 PM

I only saw the tail-end of this episode. I believe it was a repeat, I was a kid at the time. Anywho, Monroe and Henty confront the women in their apartment. The woman who is a man comes out, Monroe screams and runs out of the apartment and Henry hides in a closet or something.

by Anonymousreply 6May 23, 2020 2:52 PM

I had completely erased the bitch in the middle from my brain until today. Thanks a whole fucking lot, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 23, 2020 2:54 PM

This episode marks the very moment when rape jokes and Very Special Episodes collided.

by Anonymousreply 8May 23, 2020 2:55 PM

R7 April!

by Anonymousreply 9May 23, 2020 3:08 PM

This sounds absolutely surreal and I’m now completely dying to see if.

by Anonymousreply 10May 23, 2020 3:13 PM

OFF TOPIC, BUT WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE YOUNG FEMALE CAST, ESPECIALLY LYDIA CORNELL WHO GOT ALOT OF ATTENTION AS THE LATEST BLONDE (I.E. AFTER LOCKLEAR, HEATHER THOMAS, ETC.)..

by Anonymousreply 11May 23, 2020 3:20 PM

It did air at least once on Antenna TV because I saw it and was like WTF? IT has been discussed here before.

The 80's had some weird as fuck ways of dealing with issues like this that would never happen today. I guess because of the time and the fact that these issues had never really been discussed before. This was around the time that some TV anchor got into trouble for asking an accused rapist and his victim to hug it out on television as well. Golden Girls even made a joke about her firing.

by Anonymousreply 12May 23, 2020 3:20 PM

Wow r12, never heard that one before. What the actual fuck?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 23, 2020 3:27 PM

Picket Fences did an episode that dealt with a woman raping a man in 1993. I was fifteen and it stuck with me. The script was pretty didactic but informative. The discussion starts around the 11:00 mark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 23, 2020 3:31 PM

i’m curious to watch . if it’s really rape-rape.

by Anonymousreply 15May 23, 2020 3:34 PM

the soap opera As the World Turns did it too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 23, 2020 3:36 PM

I think Jm J Bullock having sex with a woman would definitely have to be rape-rape.

by Anonymousreply 17May 23, 2020 3:36 PM

The she-rapist at R14 is Brenda Strong, the narrator of Desperate Housewives. I saw her in person at an event once and she was a giant, probably 6’3” in her heels. Makes a lot of sense from a casting perspective since she could probably overpower some men, but you can’t really see discern on TV how tall she is.

by Anonymousreply 18May 23, 2020 3:38 PM

R18 the braless wonder strikes again

by Anonymousreply 19May 23, 2020 3:40 PM

R12, it was Phyllis George who asked the question. Ironically, she stumbled on the right idea. These two were hitting the talk show circuit together. They are a team. Yeah, be up front and hug it out because they were both milking it for everything it was worth.

by Anonymousreply 20May 23, 2020 3:45 PM

It seems bizarre to imagine a sitcom today dealing with rape or pedophilia, yet they were common "Very Special Episode" themes in the 80's. Who wanted to see that stuff in a crappy 25-minute comedy TV show?

by Anonymousreply 21May 23, 2020 3:48 PM

This is up there with the time on SOAP where there was a wholeaas police inquiry into Jodie adopting and taking care of his biological baby because he was an Out gay man (said baby issuing from a time of confusion/closeting in previous years).

by Anonymousreply 22May 23, 2020 3:49 PM

There was a whole TV movie that year about a man being raped - The Rape of Richard Beck (by two men). Richard Crenna won an Emmy for the role.

by Anonymousreply 23May 23, 2020 3:50 PM

R21 Yet it was effective as a way of traumatizing kids. I was born in 1978. That episode of Diff’rent Strokes freaked me the fuck out and I didn’t even really know what was going on. And an episode of Punky Brewster in which Punky’s friend Cherie was locked in a refrigerator and almost died gave me a fear of refrigerators for years. I wish I were kidding but I’m not.

by Anonymousreply 24May 23, 2020 3:51 PM

R12 - the accused rapist had been falsely accused. He spent many years in jail until she recanted and said she had made it up. She had become deeply religious and finally felt remorse for making it all up.

I wouldn't hug that bitch either. But it definitely wasn't a scenario where they asked a victim to hug a rapist. He never raped her and she ruined his life.

by Anonymousreply 25May 23, 2020 3:53 PM

Here's a cringey '80s sitcom fail about AIDS:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 23, 2020 4:42 PM

Nasty Gary Coleman innuendo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 23, 2020 4:44 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 23, 2020 4:47 PM

One of Law & Order SVU’s early episodes dealt with a male stripper accusing a bachelorette party of raping him. Elliott was not convinced a man could be overpowered by a woman but the ladies of SVU showed him it could be done!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 23, 2020 4:52 PM

Also, I'm pretty sure that for the past 20 seasons, Olivia Benson gets abducted and raped once a year in a very special 2 part episode

by Anonymousreply 30May 23, 2020 4:59 PM

R29 Correct episode but incorrect explanation for what they were demonstrating in that image.

by Anonymousreply 31May 23, 2020 5:32 PM

April was the Cousin Oliver of "Too Close For Comfort."

by Anonymousreply 32May 23, 2020 5:40 PM

I remember as a gayling being confused as to whether I found JM J Bullock attractive or not.

by Anonymousreply 33May 23, 2020 6:15 PM

R33 Same. And I settled on yes.

by Anonymousreply 34May 23, 2020 6:20 PM

Poor Cousin Oliver gets a little bit of a bad rap. Compared to other young kids brought on when a show was desperate for a new cute kid or in April's case a troubled youth, he was pretty inoffensive and did not really even take up that much screen time. April on the other hand, was pretty obnoxious and unlikable and did steal time away from the original daughters. They also started having the mother-in-law played by Audrey Meadows make regular appearances. She was kind of the senior citizen version of Cousin Oliver and probably would have been better if only used occasionally.

by Anonymousreply 35May 23, 2020 8:02 PM

This bitch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 23, 2020 8:10 PM

My memory is cloudy but I recall watching it when it was still on YouTube and it was bizarre and strange. I thought Bullock did the best he could, though, with the material. I felt bad for him. He was always the laughing stock on that show.

by Anonymousreply 37May 23, 2020 8:19 PM

Someone posted a thread about that TV movie with Ted Danson and Glenn Close, "Something About Amelia". Danson plays a father who sexually abuses his daughter and, after some counselling, he comes home!

by Anonymousreply 38May 24, 2020 12:22 AM

Did Cosmic Cow ever go down on Nancy Dussault?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 24, 2020 12:35 AM

I hadn’t realized that they had gotten rid of the daughters before the show was finally canceled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 24, 2020 12:52 AM

R40 THAT’s where I knew Pat Carroll from! I knew Ursula was played by/modeled on her as soon as I saw The Little Mermaid.

by Anonymousreply 41May 25, 2020 11:25 PM

Ted died during the syndicated years of Too Close.

The decision was made to just end it though Nancy Dussault (sensing this was her last hurrah?) fought tooth and nails to try and keep the show going.

Her suggestions included having her "possessed" by Ted's spirit and when the producers said "no thanks," she then suggested a grief stricken Muriel should enter into a lesbian relationship with Pat Carroll's Mrs. Stinson character.

Producers politely declined.

by Anonymousreply 42May 26, 2020 2:08 AM

TCFC should be lauded for bravely tacking the subject of women who become pregnant at the age of 65.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 26, 2020 2:17 AM

Catherine O’Hara perfecting the Nancy Dussault head turn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 26, 2020 4:15 AM

What a challenge for writers to put comedy and pathos into a 23 min. sitcom. But they were often successful. Like mini-plays filmed before a live audience.

I miss them. Now everything is so dumb.

by Anonymousreply 45May 26, 2020 4:26 AM

R42 I remember that. She was on some news/entertainment show where they showed her trying to keep this show alive, making phone calls and crap like that. Even as a kid I thought, 'slow down."

by Anonymousreply 46May 26, 2020 10:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!