Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What part of Brooklyn is Moonstruck set in?

Is it still predominately Italian like in the film?

by Anonymousreply 13May 23, 2020 7:51 PM

I never saw the movie, but according to Wiki, it's set n Brooklyn Heights (also where The Cosby Show was set) which is actually strange to me. I always thought it was Bensonhurst or Bay Ridge like Saturday Night Fever.

Brooklyn Heights is predominately wealthy and white. LOTS of Hipsters/trustfund babies.

by Anonymousreply 1May 23, 2020 5:25 AM

Carroll Gardens

by Anonymousreply 2May 23, 2020 5:26 AM

It's set in Williamsburg.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 23, 2020 5:51 AM

R1 ummm in the 80s and 90s there were more black people there than there are now. Brooklyn Heights “rich” was still cheap 30 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4May 23, 2020 5:55 AM

The rom-com part.

by Anonymousreply 5May 23, 2020 5:55 AM

It's actually set in Crown Heights.

by Anonymousreply 6May 23, 2020 5:55 AM

R4, where did I say anything about 80s/90s? I was talking about now. Hipsters, wealthy, white...NOW and for about the last 20 years

I actually lived in Carroll Gardens for the first ten years of my life (80s) and where I lived, it was Italian, Irish, Arab and Spanish. Very few black people. Where the Barclays Center is now was always like the dividing line between where black people lived and everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 7May 23, 2020 6:17 AM

r7 it was not WASPs.... so it was ethnic, and back then, CHEAP. You must not know that Italian areas were cheap and broken down also. I thought you were a Brooklynite???

And you must not know your own comment.... let me repeat it to you...

"I never saw the movie, but according to Wiki, it's set n Brooklyn Heights (also where The Cosby Show was set) which is actually strange to me. I always thought it was Bensonhurst or Bay Ridge like Saturday Night Fever.

Brooklyn Heights is predominately wealthy and white. LOTS of Hipsters/trustfund babies."

You saying it is strange it was set in "white" Brooklyn Heights implies you are speaking about THEN, not NOW.

by Anonymousreply 8May 23, 2020 6:25 AM

NO, I said it was strange because I just assumed it was Bensonhurst or Bay Ridge because I assumed it was similar to SNF. I literally never saw a single scene of Moonstruck. I know downtown Brooklyn was Italian. I even know the fucking bakeries that are still there. I absolutely referred to NOW when I said wealthy and white. Not the 80s or 90s. And I never said "WASP." Where the fuck did you come up with that? Did I say it was a bunch of blue bloods lived there in the 80s and 90s? Are you fucking serious with this shit?

by Anonymousreply 9May 23, 2020 6:31 AM

BTW, I'm not going to keep going back and forth with this nonsense. Think what you want. I'm already exhausted from you. Now I know how flyover types feel when they find NYers like you insufferable. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 10May 23, 2020 6:33 AM

Looks of hot Italian sausage around Bensonhurst!

by Anonymousreply 11May 23, 2020 6:40 AM

r10 you shouldn't call yourself a Brooklynite unless you were born and raised here. Brooklynites take pride in their home. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 12May 23, 2020 6:47 AM

Brooklyn Heights is full of identical cousins.

by Anonymousreply 13May 23, 2020 7:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!