Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Marlon Brando's 2nd Oscar win the most dramatic Best Actor presentation ever

We had Cher and Vanessa Redgrave.

So now we need Brando.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 23, 2020 3:26 PM

Mark Ruffalo would be the type to pull something like that these days if given the opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 1May 23, 2020 4:01 AM

Is that Pocahontas?

by Anonymousreply 2May 23, 2020 4:02 AM

I like it Ruffalo.

by Anonymousreply 3May 23, 2020 4:05 AM

I’m fairly certain that George C. Scott had announced in advance that he wouldn’t accept his Oscar, so his win wouldn’t have been as dramatic.

No one is close to Brando in terms of shock value p, but Adrien Brody’s win was pretty dramatic because no one expected him to win, and his reaction was to kiss Halle Berry.

by Anonymousreply 4May 23, 2020 4:08 AM

My main memory of this is Goldie Hawn's, "Oh, my GOD!" when she announced that Brando was the winner. Was the Oscars broadcast on any kind of delay or was it truly live?

by Anonymousreply 5May 23, 2020 4:32 AM

That was George C. Scott that Hawn presented to r5.

by Anonymousreply 6May 23, 2020 4:33 AM

R3 I have a shirt that says that!

by Anonymousreply 7May 23, 2020 4:35 AM

Brando did make it known what would be happening. She was going to read a whole speech but they said it was too long and they would cut her off. That is why she says she'll be happy to share it in the press room.

I think the difference is Scott said he didn't want it before the voting was done. So they genuinely decided he was still the best. Brando waited until the votes were in before announcing his declining (I think.)

by Anonymousreply 8May 23, 2020 4:36 AM

It was a good way to bring attention to the plight of the American Indians. Haven't seen this for awhile and I was impressed. Even some of the audience members clapped in support in favor of her/Marlon and her speech. 2 thumbs up!

by Anonymousreply 9May 23, 2020 4:41 AM

She's a fake. She's not even fully Apache.

by Anonymousreply 10May 23, 2020 4:46 AM

Was Brando actually an activist who was interested in the plight of Native Americans? There were stars from that period who actually were invested in causes they promoted (Jane Fonda being the obvious example), but the impression I’ve always had was this was more a stunt by one of a notorious gadfly than a sincerely held belief.

Can anyone who remembers that era or just knows more weigh in?

by Anonymousreply 11May 23, 2020 5:26 AM

I think he was mental unstable and this was one of his whims. He didn't do much for native Americans before or after.

by Anonymousreply 12May 23, 2020 5:28 AM

In 1975 Brando gave 40 acres of land outside L.A. to Native Americans.

by Anonymousreply 13May 23, 2020 5:34 AM

R4 I predicted him to win. It was a no-brainer. Caine, Nicholson & Cage were all recent winners which went against them and DDL was in a film that the Academy respected enough to nominate but did not love enough to give it a major award.

Brody was great in a film that was very good and the Academy loved.

by Anonymousreply 14May 23, 2020 5:35 AM

I'm not sure whether it was this same year, or the year before, as a co-presenter, Raquel Welch quipped, "I hope they haven't got a cause".

by Anonymousreply 15May 23, 2020 6:14 AM

Brando was VERY interested in Indian causes and he wrote all about it in his memoir. He was the real deal on this issue.

by Anonymousreply 16May 23, 2020 3:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!