Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Diana' by Diana Ross was released 40 years ago today

So much good music, so much drama. Upside Down, I'm Coming Out, My Old Piano...

Diana had a fit when producers Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards (of Chic) told her she was singing flat, and she stormed out of the studio. Then she had "gay panic" and thought the album's dance tracks would kill her career. She took the tapes to Motown and had Russ Terrana remix them without the producers' knowledge, so they tried to have their names taken off the album.

Then it was the biggest hit of Diana's career and both sides relaxed a bit. Although they never performed any of the songs live together at the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 24, 2020 4:16 PM

Diana's "gay panic":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 22, 2020 9:35 PM

Wait!! People born in 1980 will be 40 this year? *Screams* BTW, that album cover looks modern.

by Anonymousreply 2May 22, 2020 9:37 PM

Upside Down went to #1.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 22, 2020 9:37 PM

Nile Rodgers said Diana didn't understand "I'm Coming Out" was "a gay thing."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 22, 2020 9:40 PM

Bitch had a decent career.

by Anonymousreply 5May 22, 2020 9:40 PM

"I'm Coming Out" has one of the best rhythm guitar lines ever:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 22, 2020 9:40 PM

My Old Piano was also delightful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 22, 2020 9:41 PM

That is a laughable video devoid of creativity, at R7. She is lunging around, literally, a piano.

by Anonymousreply 8May 22, 2020 9:59 PM

The lyrics are so dumb so I prefer this version

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 22, 2020 9:59 PM

Aretha Franklin claimed that she originally got these tracks from Nile and Bernard when they approached her about working together. But according to her, they had horrible attitudes and she walked out of the studio. Nile claims he wrote these tracks specifically for Diana.

Diana didn't think much of the album until she played it for legendary NY DJ Frankie Crocker, who told her the songs would ruin her career. That's when she decided to have it remixed for a more commercial sound.

Despite it being the biggest solo album of her career, she has never performed anything from it live aside from Upside Down and I'm Coming Out.

by Anonymousreply 10May 22, 2020 10:07 PM

this is so much better

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 22, 2020 10:09 PM

or this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 22, 2020 10:14 PM

"My Old Piano" is probably the only Diana Ross song (of those I've heard) that I like. It's pretty silly and the video is laughable, but I also have great memories of first hearing it 3 years ago in a gay pub with some new friends and how much we laughed at and ultimately bonded over the video. And I don't mean to sound rude about it, we were laughing in that way that says: "this is so twee but also completely harmless. Look at her dancing around that piano! She's [italic]loving[/italic] it!" 😂 One of the guys said that clearly the video cost no more than $10, 7 of which was for the hire of the piano.

by Anonymousreply 13September 24, 2020 6:15 AM

Oh my god. She looks just like Michael Jackson in OP's pic. I thought it was Jackson. Was that his goal? To look like Diana Ross?

by Anonymousreply 14September 24, 2020 6:31 AM

OP = Michael Jackson's ghost

by Anonymousreply 15September 24, 2020 6:31 AM

My Aunt was a head buyer at Bloomingdales from 1980 - 1982 and she said the store had that album on repeat so much she never wanted to listen to it ever again. I can totally imagine Bloomingdales circa 1980 blasting that while you’re just trying to make it to the escalator without getting assaulted by 10 perfume ladies.

by Anonymousreply 16September 24, 2020 6:38 AM

They had that hussy’s number.

by Anonymousreply 17September 24, 2020 6:41 AM

I remember 9-year old me hearing Upside Down in the car back in 1980 and perking up like the budding gayling I was. I asked my mom if it was Olivia Newton-John as that was the only singer I knew at the time. (I can actually imagine Livvie recording this.) Still love the song 40 years later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 24, 2020 7:21 AM

Diana's last album for Motown before leaving for RCA.

I believe Aretha. I remember reading back then that she was supposed to work with Rodgers and Edwards on her first Disco album. She worked with Van McCoy instead. I read somewhere that Rodgers and Edwards would give singers only a couple of lines at a time to sing. That's why Chic productions had that robotic vocals. I can see Aretha not going for that.

by Anonymousreply 19September 24, 2020 7:43 AM

She was still a big star and had a few more hit albums but by the mid-eighties people like Whitney and Madonna were on the scene.

Miss Ross has outlasted by of them now though.

by Anonymousreply 20September 24, 2020 2:25 PM

Imagine having a song stolen from you right on stage by a white stoner kid.

Jay Kay makes it his.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 24, 2020 2:30 PM

I love the song Tenderness on this album.

by Anonymousreply 22September 24, 2020 2:40 PM

I didn't know she smoked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 24, 2020 2:50 PM

Yes, but not as heavily as Dionne Warwick. I think she might've quit now.

by Anonymousreply 24September 24, 2020 2:54 PM

Dionne still smokes like a chimney. Of course at nearly 80 years old there's really no point in quitting.

by Anonymousreply 25September 24, 2020 2:58 PM

So Diana wasn't as pro gay in 1980 as we've been told.

By the time '95 rolled around, I guess she was desperate enough to use us for a video stunt =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 24, 2020 4:08 PM

Not necessarily homophobic.

The disco backlash had already happened by then.

by Anonymousreply 27September 24, 2020 4:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!